PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dorsey thought the O line did a good job!!

penbrook
12-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Per Terez Paylor

Dorsey on the OL: “Given the resources we had, I think we did as admirable a job as we could."

tmax63
12-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Meaning you can only polish a turd so much.

KCrockaholic
12-29-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't think that's what he's saying.... smh..

TimBone
12-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Misleading thread title.

Sandy Vagina
12-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Misleading thread title.

lol, yep.. he's basically saying they are bleh.. but they couldn't financially fix everything at once.

KCrockaholic
12-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Glad a few of us are literate.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 04:30 PM
"given the resources we had"

notorious
12-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Ummmmm, You control the resources you have, Mr. Dorsey.

wazu
12-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Given his light frame and weak muscles, I think Eric Fisher did as admirable a job as he could.

alpha_omega
12-29-2014, 04:41 PM
misleading is misleading....

TEX
12-29-2014, 04:42 PM

This. All day long this.

Hydrae
12-29-2014, 04:44 PM

No, that would be Clark.

Has everyone forgotten how Lamar did it? Spend money on free agency every other year. We spent money with the new regime before last year. Why would anyone be surprised that we did very little to nothing in free agency this last off season?

Now the upcoming season, with money to invest in free agency and umpteen hundred draft picks, should get interesting.

penbrook
12-29-2014, 04:46 PM
No, that would be Clark.

Has everyone forgotten how Lamar did it? Spend money on free agency every other year. We spent money with the new regime before last year. Why would anyone be surprised that we did very little to nothing in free agency this last off season?

Now the upcoming season, with money to invest in free agency and umpteen hundred draft picks, should get interesting.

We have money?? We have 2 mil in cap space right now

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 04:46 PM
So Dorsey had control over Stephenson and Allen being completely unavailable late in the offseason?

And if the directive was to save money to make sure we can keep Poe, Houston, and berry (and unfortunately... Alex Smith) then shaving a few bucks isn't such a bad idea.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 04:47 PM
No, that would be Clark.

This has nothing to do with spending. You can't spend any more against the past 2 years caps then we did. Much as people believe there are ways to cheat the cap, there aren't.

In58men
12-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Stupid fucking title fuck this shit and fuck this thread. Fucking worthless fucks

Hydrae
12-29-2014, 04:50 PM
This has nothing to do with spending. You can't spend any more against the past 2 years caps then we did. Much as people believe there are ways to cheat the cap, there aren't.

I am talking about Hunt's cash flow. I am sure they could have looked at reworking some contracts to free up money if it was just about the cap. With the Hunt's it is about the cash flow and how much comes out of their pockets up front for things like singing bonuses.

I am not mis-remembering that this is how Lamar did it every year am I? I seem to remember hearing this back when Carl was still around.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 04:54 PM
I am talking about Hunt's cash flow. I am sure they could have looked at reworking some contracts to free up money if it was just about the cap. With the Hunt's it is about the cash flow and how much comes out of their pockets up front for things like singing bonuses.

I am not mis-remembering that this is how Lamar did it every year am I? I seem to remember hearing this back when Carl was still around.
It's the diffe4ence between paying in cash today or paying in credit card. Over time, the amount is the same. I doubt this has anything to do with being cheap. There are reasons why this year was a bad year to get creative with contracts where next year we can be.

KCUnited
12-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Dorsey must agree that Smith is the problem then.

TEX
12-29-2014, 05:00 PM
No, that would be Clark.

You're right about Lamar. It was indeed every other year.

penbrook
12-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Dorsey must agree that Smith is the problem then.

Nope he blamed the talent around him. He said they need to fix the Wide Reciever position

Red Dawg
12-29-2014, 05:03 PM
He knows they sucked just like everyone around the league does. Admirable is another way of saying "They tried hard".

Iowanian
12-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Dorsey is responsible for the "resources" the o-line had.

I'll take a 2lb shit in his hat if he actually thinks McGlynn was remotely "Decent".

TEX
12-29-2014, 05:10 PM

I'll take a 2lb shit in his hat if he actually thinks McGlynn was remotely "Decent".

:clap: ROFL No SHIT!!!

OldSchool
12-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Basically said that they played about as well as can be expected for the pile of shit that they were in terms of individual talent. That had more to do with Reid and Co scheming around them and not asking them to block for too long. They still gave up way too many sacks, hits, and pressures especially when you consider the fact that the play calling was already compensating for their shittiness by calling a lot of designed quick-hitters and not having too many 5-7 step drops in the game plans.

Iowanian
12-29-2014, 05:23 PM
That means he KNEW he gave the fans a pile of shit on the line.

TEX
12-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Basically said that they played about as well as can be expected for the pile of shit that they were in terms of individual talent. That had more to do with Reid and Co scheming around them and not asking them to block for too long. They still gave up way too many sacks, hits, and pressures especially when you consider the fact that the play calling was already compensating for their shittiness by calling a lot of designed quick-hitters and not having too many 5-7 step drops in the game plans.

Yep. Down the stretch, the jig was up...

The line played exactly like I thought it would and effected everything in an adverse manner...

Mr. Laz
12-29-2014, 05:36 PM
exactly

almost all the major salaries on this roster are from Dorsey

Dorsey chose to rebuild this year

I imagine Dorsey/Reid are happy as hell to go 9-7 in a rebuilding year.

BossChief
12-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Or linkenbach

Simply Red
12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Glad a few of us are literate.

http://i58.tinypic.com/k0pueu.gif

DTHOF
12-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Given his light frame and weak muscles, I think Eric Fisher did as admirable a job as he could.

:LOL:

Baby Lee
12-29-2014, 05:50 PM
He knows they sucked just like everyone around the league does. Admirable is another way of saying "They tried hard".

Bless their poor little pea picking hearts.

MMXcalibur
12-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Then get better resources, jackass.

Baby Lee
12-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Then get better resources, jackass.

That's exactly what I took away from his soundbyte.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 06:13 PM

McGlynn was brought in just before the season began. It's not like he had planned for him to be a starter from the get-go.

Keep in mind that Watkins and Stephenson suspensions completely caught us by surprise. Jeff Allen got injured. It's not like the Chiefs walked into the season expecting Harris, Linkenbach, or McGlynn to ever see the field.

And the "resources" he's talking about is cap money. Cap money we barely eeked out a contract to Alex Smith with and that we used to extend Jamaal, and cap money where we probably planned to use hopefully for Houston, Poe, and Berry.

Big Chief Homer
12-29-2014, 06:19 PM

Thank you for this post. I am currently in an argument with someone on twitter that says this year's Oline is a product of Pioli and Reid and Dorsey being left with salary cap problems. :shake:

penbrook
12-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Thank you for this post. I am currently in an argument with someone on twitter that says this year's Oline is a product of Pioli and Reid and Dorsey being left with salary cap problems. :shake:

Dorsey had like what 30 million in cap space when he took over this team. It's his fucking fault for overspending on guys like Fasnao and Devito and giving Smith a extension

MahiMike
12-29-2014, 06:21 PM
They looked pretty good yesterday.

Big Chief Homer
12-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Dorsey had like what 30 million in cap space when he took over this team. It's his ****ing fault for overspending on guys like Fasnao and Devito and giving Smith a extension

Exactly, don't forget about Bowe and our #1 LT

Mr. Laz
12-29-2014, 06:38 PM
are you arguing with Zilla?

:spock:

From Dorsey:
Bowe - 12 m
Charles (redone)- 9m
Sean Smith - 5.7m
Fisher - 5m
Mike DeVito $4.9m
Alex Smith - 4.6 m
Fasano - 4.3m
Colquitt(redone) - 3.8m
Chase Daniel - 3.4m
Flowers (redone and then cut 3.25m)
Avery - 2.8m
Dunta Robinson (cut 2 m)

everyone else is under a million

Dorsey is responsible for approx 10 out of the top 15 cap numbers.

contracts of DJ,Hali,Berry,Poe are from Pioli (Berry/Poe on rookie deals).

Financial situation is all on Dorsey

John Dope
12-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Per Terez Paylor

Dorsey on the OL: “Given the resources we had, I think we did as admirable a job as we could."

Truth imo :thumb:

We won 9 games with a tough schedule with those dudes.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 06:56 PM
are you arguing with Zilla?

:spock:

From Dorsey:
Bowe - 12 m
Charles (redone)- 9m
Sean Smith - 5.7m
Fisher - 5m
Mike DeVito $4.9m
Alex Smith - 4.6 m
Fasano - 4.3m
Colquitt(redone) - 3.8m
Chase Daniel - 3.4m
Flowers (redone and then cut 3.25m)
Avery - 2.8m
Dunta Robinson (cut 2 m)

everyone else is under a million

Dorsey is responsible for approx 10 out of the top 15 cap numbers.

contracts of DJ,Hali,Berry,Poe are from Pioli (Berry/Poe on rookie deals).

Financial situation is all on Dorsey

I have said many times the first year was not a very good one. Year 2 was a very good one.

And the question of "resource" is not nearly as much about whether we have money to spend on OL. It's whether we think it's worth jeopardizing ability to sign Poe, Houston, and (at the time) Berry in order to do it. People on CP are freaking out about not being able to afford Houston, yet bitch about not spending money on OL. You can't have it both ways.

At least with the approach we took in year 2, we brilliantly managed to improve the quality of this team and get 4 comp picks in the process.

BossChief
12-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Or Joe Mays

Vance walker

Molitoth
12-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Let me translate.

"I gave all the money to Alex Smith."

scho63
12-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Per Terez Paylor

Title and quote are not even close! ROFL

That was the softest endorsement I've ever seen......

Ragged Robin
12-29-2014, 07:32 PM
so what did he have to say about the WR corps? ROFL

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Title and quote are not even close! ROFL

That was the softest endorsement I've ever seen......
I am betting he expected to walk into the season with Fisher, Allen, Hudson, Watkins, Stephenson and that we would get the 2013 version of them. To me, that is adequate enough for a stopgap line.

John Dope
12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
so what did he have to say about the WR corps? ROFL

He said they sucked ass basically. Said the stats speak for them.

Ragged Robin
12-29-2014, 07:38 PM
He said they sucked ass basically. Said the stats speak for them.

it took him two full season to realize that? We had the least productive WR corps in the league in 2013 and to follow that up he thought it was OK that the only moves to upgrade this position was to pick up a couple UDFAs and then sign Avant halfway through the season ROFL

Iowanian
12-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Let us not forget while other rookies start, including Shreck at Right Guard.....the Chiefs used 2 spots on their depleted offensive line on Kush....who didn't play for whatever reason and Larry the French Cable Guy.

They had no cap space, but made a play for say a fairly high dollar WR who shit on KC to be a filthy Donk.

McGlynn was brought in just before the season began. It's not like he had planned for him to be a starter from the get-go.

Keep in mind that Watkins and Stephenson suspensions completely caught us by surprise. Jeff Allen got injured. It's not like the Chiefs walked into the season expecting Harris, Linkenbach, or McGlynn to ever see the field.

And the "resources" he's talking about is cap money. Cap money we barely eeked out a contract to Alex Smith with and that we used to extend Jamaal, and cap money where we probably planned to use hopefully for Houston, Poe, and Berry.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Let us not forget while other rookies start, including Shreck at Right Guard.....the Chiefs used 2 spots on their depleted offensive line on Kush....who didn't play for whatever reason and Larry the French Cable Guy.

They had no cap space, but made a play for say a fairly high dollar WR who shit on KC to be a filthy Donk.
The chiefs expected to enter the season with Fisher - Allen - Hudson - Watkins - Stephenson. In their defense, they didn't think they were going to start Fulton until halfway through the preseason.

nychief
12-29-2014, 11:09 PM
You'll know how he actually thinks by what he does this off season, everything else is lip service.

lcarus
12-29-2014, 11:10 PM

I think he was trying to say he wants to get more resources this offseason. Without straight up shitting on them lol. At least I hope that's what he meant.

Chiefaholic
12-29-2014, 11:13 PM
That's the equivalent to saying, given the lack of talent across the board, we were fortunate to not suck more than we actually did". In no way, shape, or form was that a compliment to the overall success of the O-Line

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2014, 11:21 PM
That's the equivalent to saying, given the lack of talent across the board, we were fortunate to not suck more than we actually did". In no way, shape, or form was that a compliment to the overall success of the O-Line
If we added a receiver and shored up our OL, but our defense was bottom 10,people would have flipped a lid and bitched about how this team is over valuing OL. If we signed OL and struggled to sign Houston, Poe, and berry... Same deal.

We improved in a lot of areas. We apparently didn't at one position where we had 3 out of the 5 starters impacted by suspension or injury. Suddenly the Chiefs did everything wrong.

Iowanian
12-29-2014, 11:26 PM
The Chiefs need to hook Fisher up with Wes Welker's roid guy and Frank Dux' Tenaka Clan Shidoshi Tenaka until he can break the bottom brick in a stack.

Then the Chiefs can win the Kumite next season!

CoMoChief
12-30-2014, 12:58 AM
I still have no clue as to why Donald Stephenson didn't play at all once he was eligible. He's a better OT than Ryan Harris, and sure as hell better than Fisher. He was supposed to have a breakout year.

Next year is a make or break year for Fisher. If he continues to suck, cut your losses and move on, chalk him up as one of the biggest Chiefs draft busts of all time...but at least ADMIT the mistake and move on.

NJChiefsFan
12-30-2014, 02:02 AM
One-legged man finishes race in 999th out of 1000. When asked, Usain Bolt says "the kid did as great as can be expected considering the resources he had."

Penbook thread....."Bolt says one-legged runner is fastest man on Earth!"

Mav
12-30-2014, 08:44 AM
The oline considering they have one player on it who could probably start on just about every other team, Hudson, and four retards, sure, they did okay I guess.

Fisher, trash.

Left guard, beyond horrible.

Right Guard, meh,

Right tackle. GARBAGE.

Hudson, a top 10 center, having to try to carry the other four turds.

GloryDayz
12-30-2014, 08:51 AM
I still have no clue as to why Donald Stephenson didn't play at all once he was eligible. He's a better OT than Ryan Harris, and sure as hell better than Fisher. He was supposed to have a breakout year.

Next year is a make or break year for Fisher. If he continues to suck, cut your losses and move on, chalk him up as one of the biggest Chiefs draft busts of all time...but at least ADMIT the mistake and move on.

I too would be interested in hearing about it, but I think the Chiefs will take a play from the Pats book and just say nothing. I guess with the Pats you can count on them plugging a hole with somebody who can do the job, so any attempt for the Chiefs to think they can execute that play from the Pats playbook is silly, but I'm sure they'll try.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2014, 09:45 AM

There are a few things that are just completely bizarre. Stephenson seeming to lose desire to play. Catapano missing he season for concussions? Doesn't seem to be the whole story here. McGrath mysteriously retiring. The players seem to love playing for Reid, but there have been some really unusual things this year.

Still... We have to keep in mind that the Chiefs walked into the season banking on Jeff Allen starting at LG, Stephenson at RT, and probably Watkins at RG. Even if that's not even close to an all-world OL, it's significantly better than what we ended up with.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-30-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm comforted knowing they went into the year knowing they were shit...

Red Dawg
12-30-2014, 10:01 AM
They looked pretty good yesterday.

What game did you watch?

WhiteWhale
12-30-2014, 10:22 AM
There are a few things that are just completely bizarre. Stephenson seeming to lose desire to play. Catapano missing he season for concussions? Doesn't seem to be the whole story here. McGrath mysteriously retiring. The players seem to love playing for Reid, but there have been some really unusual things this year.

Still... We have to keep in mind that the Chiefs walked into the season banking on Jeff Allen starting at LG, Stephenson at RT, and probably Watkins at RG. Even if that's not even close to an all-world OL, it's significantly better than what we ended up with.

You forgot our All-pro 25 year old safety pretty much being forced to retire because of cancer. I mean who saw that coming?!

The Franchise
12-30-2014, 10:27 AM

Meh...I think he was definitely banking on having Allen all year and Stephenson not sucking complete dick. Allen may not be great....but he's fucking miles better than McGlynn. And apparently Stephenson was nothing without his PEDs.

RunKC
12-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Meh...I think he was definitely banking on having Allen all year and Stephenson not sucking complete dick. Allen may not be great....but he's ****ing miles better than McGlynn. And apparently Stephenson was nothing without his PEDs.

I agree.

Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson looked pretty solid the 2nd half of last season. Losing those 2 really hurt us. I think even an average OL would have helped so much.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2014, 10:35 AM
You forgot our All-pro 25 year old safety pretty much being forced to retire because of cancer. I mean who saw that coming?!

Here's all the guys we lost to injury:

DEFENSE
Out for season (or close to it):
-Berry (forced us to play Coleman heavily)
-DJ (Miles better than Mauga/JMJ)
-DeVito (probably an upgrade over Howard, though Howard played well)
-Catapano (was expected to be in the rotation)
Others:
-Mays (missed most of the season)
-Fleming/Gaines (missed on & off)
-Owens (missed several games)

OFFENSE
Out for season (or close to it):
-Jeff Allen (miles better than McGlynn... of course, not saying much)
-Demetrius Harris (was being heavily used in 3 TE sets)
Others:
-Stephenson (suspended. 2013 play miles better than Harris)
-Avery/Jenkins (Wilson ended up being better, but still disruptive)
-Jamaal Charles (missed a few games)
-DAT (missed much of the first few games with injury)

Iowanian
12-30-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't know why anyone puts ANY stock in Demitrius Harris. He's not even proven to be Kris Wilson yet. He's a yetti. We keep hearing stories but haven't seen shit.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't know why anyone puts ANY stock in Demitrius Harris. He's not even proven to be Kris Wilson yet. He's a yetti. We keep hearing stories but haven't seen shit.
The chiefs were effectively running 3 te sets with him in. It was a wrinkle we had to get rid of. We ran it a lot against SD too. It worked well even though Gordon is useless. Don't know what Harris is capable of. But in that small role, he was a contributor.

Sandy Vagina
12-30-2014, 11:06 AM

lol... coaching hubris. They recognized that these OL were not very good, but thought they could coach em up.. and that they would improve. Failed miserably. Now, they know they HAVE to bring in better talent.. and should have the resources to do this.

Sandy Vagina
12-30-2014, 11:08 AM
The chiefs were effectively running 3 te sets with him in. It was a wrinkle we had to get rid of. We ran it a lot against SD too. It worked well even though Gordon is useless. Don't know what Harris is capable of. But in that small role, he was a contributor.

True. He's definitely worth hanging onto, since he would be on a cheap ERFA tender.

Iowanian
12-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Feel free to include me in the "D. Harris is JAG". He is raw, he doesn't have good hands, but is big and fast.

He's not THE problem, but I don't see him as any form of answer to the real issues this team has with blocking or the passing game.

As for Jeff Allen being the answer, I thought he was a little bit north of a turd in 2013. He's far from awesome at LG.

ping2000
12-30-2014, 11:11 AM
It's becoming obvious that Dorsey is mentally retarded.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2014, 11:18 AM
It's becoming obvious that Dorsey is mentally retarded.
Yes, how retarded for the guy to not anticipate 2 maybe 3 expected starters on the oline to not play in 2014.

And OL was the only position we were trying to fix.

ping2000
12-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes, how retarded for the guy to not anticipate 2 maybe 3 expected starters on the oline to not play in 2014.

And OL was the only position we were trying to fix.

Still sucks balls.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Still sucks balls.
The team? They went 9-7 against a brutal schedule missing pro bowlers and missing almost 1/3 of their starters for some extended time. The offensive line didn't get the Allen and Stephenson they expected.

I'm worried about Reid and Smith. Dorsey can obviously do better, but this team has gotten a lot better.

King_Chief_Fan
12-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Per Terez Paylor

relatively speaking, of course they did