PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Our Defense

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-01-2015, 02:29 PM
The Chiefs defense finished the season as the only team in the NFL that didn't allow 30 points in a game, a 300-yard passer or a 50-yard completion this season.

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2015, 02:32 PM
But.. But... But fire our defensive backs coaches. And cut all our corners because they're garbage.

BigMeatballDave
01-01-2015, 02:32 PM
It was pretty good, yet people still loved to hate on it.

Hoover
01-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Amazing when you realize we lost DeVito, DJ, and Berry and cut Flowers.

BossChief
01-01-2015, 02:35 PM
All without 2 all pros

Red Dawg
01-01-2015, 02:37 PM
How can anyone have a problem with our defense? They were fantstic in most games. Run defense was not great but certainly held up in the red zone at least.

J Diddy
01-01-2015, 02:46 PM
All without 2 all pros

and a good run stuffer

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
And damn near went without allowing a rushing TD

Deberg_1990
01-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Fire Sutton!

FloridaMan88
01-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Main two problems with the defense was the run defense (especially during the second half of the season), and the lack of turnovers forced.

GloucesterChief
01-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Not many turnovers though.

Rain Man
01-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Main two problems with the defense was the run defense (especially during the second half of the season), and the lack of turnovers forced.

What's interesting about that is that the Chiefs ended up

Total defense

2nd in points allowed,
7th in total yards yielded per game,
6th in third down percentage,

Pass defense

2nd in pass yards yielded,
3rd in number of passes of 20+ yards,
3rd in passing yard per attempt
5th in sacks,
12th in opposing QB rating,

Run defense

30th in rushing yards per attempt
9th in 20+ yard runs
28th in rush yards yielded

I guess what that tells me is that the running game is completely irrelevant in the modern NFL. You can have the #2 defense in the league by points and #7 by yards when you're one of the worst teams against the run.

That's a good thing to know when you're building a team these days.

Hoover
01-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Agree I would not freak out about our D Linemen if I were Dorsey. We need ILBs, not DEs IMO

GloucesterChief
01-01-2015, 03:44 PM
What's interesting about that is that the Chiefs ended up

Total defense

2nd in points allowed,
7th in total yards yielded per game,
6th in third down percentage,

Pass defense

2nd in pass yards yielded,
3rd in number of passes of 20+ yards,
3rd in passing yard per attempt
5th in sacks,
12th in opposing QB rating,

Run defense

30th in rushing yards per attempt
9th in 20+ yard runs
28th in rush yards yielded

I guess what that tells me is that the running game is completely irrelevant in the modern NFL. You can have the #2 defense in the league by points and #7 by yards when you're one of the worst teams against the run.

That's a good thing to know when you're building a team these days.

That is why I was not surprised when we beat Seattle. Seattle's D is built to stop the short passing game. They are not built to stop the run.

ILChief
01-01-2015, 04:40 PM

Turnovers forced is usually a luck thing. We were very lucky with turnovers last year but this year couldn't buy one. How many dropped INT's did our DB's have this year? Last year, they caught those.

FloridaMan88
01-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Turnovers forced is usually a luck thing. We were very lucky with turnovers last year but this year couldn't buy one. How many dropped INT's did our DB's have this year? Last year, they caught those.

There were several dropped INT's, but the Chiefs were tied for last in the NFL in INT's (6) with the likes of the Jets and Jacksonville.

Luck or not that is not good.

Bufkin
01-01-2015, 05:15 PM
He was a mentioned name on the Falcons message board for Mike Smith's replacement as Head Coach. Other teams are noticing Sutton.

Baby Lee
01-01-2015, 05:19 PM

I get that people think it's a luck thing, but I don't get how Chiefs fans do. When we started the 90s putting an emphasis on it, then proceeded to lead the league in causing them for a decade straight.

Bob Dole
01-01-2015, 05:22 PM
How can anyone have a problem with our defense? They were fantstic in most games. Run defense was not great but certainly held up in the red zone at least.

Are you new here???

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-01-2015, 05:38 PM
If we could get two good ILB it would go a long way toward fixing the run D. we need to find the next Luke Kuechley. don't know what DJ's future will hold.

I hope like hell Sutton doesn't go HC somewhere else and if he does I'd love for Clark to make an offer to Rex Ryan for that position.

Red Dawg
01-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Are you new here???

No. I have been here a very long time and have read your dribble numerous times. Our defense needs work catching the ball for sure but overall was better than some playoff teams defense.

Easy 6
01-01-2015, 05:43 PM
1) viable sub for Poe.
2) 1 athletic, tough MLB to match Mays.
3) Further depth at corner OR safety, take your pick because they're seemingly somewhat interchangeable in Suttons defense.

All three of those should be MINIMAL drags on the pocketbook this year, all mostly covered through the draft... this defense is just a few key guys away from ruling shit, they maintained some very high standards all year outside of run defense.

The primary things in todays league like passing yards, opponent redzone production... they were incredible, especially factoring in all of the injury losses.

Sutton? he has proven capable of learning from his mistakes on the job under duress.

Baby Lee
01-01-2015, 05:51 PM
No. I have been here a very long time and have read your dribble numerous times. Our defense needs work catching the ball for sure but overall was better than some playoff teams defense.

Dude, he's agreeing with you. 'Are you new here' is supposed to connote that people here will express disappointment with any and every thing Chiefs, even our strengths.

And dribble? Really? Dribble? It's 2015.

ChiefsLV
01-01-2015, 06:57 PM
While I'm not going to knock on the defense too much for having a solid year, they still have room to improve in run D and catching some damn interceptions. I was going to say something about the Chiefs offense winning time of possession most of the games but I just looked at the season status and they actually averaged a little less time of possession than the opposing team.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Morons here said it sucked for giving twenty points on the road in Pitt

Iconic
01-01-2015, 07:33 PM
THIS IS ALL SUTTON'S FAULT.

ThaVirus
01-01-2015, 08:16 PM
We did all of that while playing in one of the worst divisions to do so as well. Two top 8 QBs, depending on how you'd rank Rivers, and, if you're on CP, a young guy that's apparently the next Dan Marino.

Due to injury and free agency we had new starters at both DE and ILB spots, CB 1, slot CB, FS, and SS. That's 8 new starters on a unit of 11 plus a couple guys in Coleman, Mays, Howard, Gaines, and Vickerson that got significant playing time that either weren't here last year or didn't see the field much.

CoMoChief
01-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Chiefs let up 26 pts to the titans at home wk1 and got shredded by oak at their place...costed us a playoff spot...offense was a giant sack of shit but theres puh-lenty of blame to around ..the defense is just as guilty in my opinion. Run defense was terrible but kc was playing without 3 of their best run defenders.

ThaVirus
01-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Chiefs let up 26 pts to the titans at home wk1 and got shredded by oak at their place...costed us a playoff spot...offense was a giant sack of shit but theres puh-lenty of blame to around ..the defense is just as guilty in my opinion. Run defense was terrible but kc was playing without 3 of their best run defenders.

It seems apparent that the week 1 showing was an aberration.

Oakland didn't really "shred" us, either. They had 17 points and the only reason they were able to score the go-ahead TD was because of an insanely ticky tack penalty called on Ron Parker.

gonefishin53
01-01-2015, 10:15 PM
A good run defense helps a lot when the opposing team has a lead late and is trying to run out the clock.

ThaVirus
01-01-2015, 10:18 PM
A good run defense helps a lot when the opposing team has a lead late and is trying to run out the clock.

When you're talking about a defense that played as stellar as ours did in basically all other phases, a great run defense is a bit of a luxury.

Honestly, I can't even really remember a game where we were getting gashed late and didn't tighten up the run D when it mattered.

Even in games we got ran on all to shit, our 3rd and 4th & short and goal-to-go defense was pretty damned good. The Seahawks game really stands out. That was an amazing performance in those categories.

Marcellus
01-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Which is why our offensive ineptitude which I mainly blame on Reid was so frustrating.

I think the only totally shit drive the defense gave up all year was against the Raiders at the end of the 1st game against them.

Hammock Parties
01-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Thank you, Alex.

DaneMcCloud
01-01-2015, 10:26 PM
He was a mentioned name on the Falcons message board for Mike Smith's replacement as Head Coach. Other teams are noticing Sutton.

If hired, Bob Sutton would be the second oldest head coach in the NFL.

I am 100% certain that Thomas Dimitroff and Arthur Blank are not interested in hiring a first timer of that age.

DaneMcCloud
01-01-2015, 10:29 PM
If we could get two good ILB it would go a long way toward fixing the run D. we need to find the next Luke Kuechley. don't know what DJ's future will hold.

I hope like hell Sutton doesn't go HC somewhere else and if he does I'd love for Clark to make an offer to Rex Ryan for that position.

Sutton is going nowhere and Rex Ryan will either take a head coaching job or a cushy TV job over a DC position. He's got nothing to prove as a DC.

Erik Kendricks from UCLA would be a great fit.

kcxiv
01-02-2015, 02:10 AM

that was just a stretch of a few games. the last 3 games they were nails and didnt alow much rushing. We did go through like 4 games with 200 yards on the ground, but they fixed that up and the Defense was rock solid.

I got no complaints on the D. I could nitpick, but they were a top 5 defense probably a top 3 in the league. to be complaining about the D is just bitching to bitch.

ThaVirus
01-02-2015, 02:50 AM
Something we were also really good at this year was 4th down defense in pressure situations.

We turned the other team over on downs on key drives against the Bills, Seahawks and Chargers.

Really, just wish we could have done the same to the Raiders in their shithole. We'd be prepping for the Wild Card if we could have stopped them one final time.

TEX
01-02-2015, 10:50 AM
When you're talking about a defense that played as stellar as ours did in basically all other phases, a great run defense is a bit of a luxury.

Honestly, I can't even really remember a game where we were getting gashed late and didn't tighten up the run D when it mattered.

Even in games we got ran on all to shit, our 3rd and 4th & short and goal-to-go defense was pretty damned good. The Seahawks game really stands out. That was an amazing performance in those categories.

Yep. The Raider game in Oakland not withstanding...

FlaChief58
01-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Better blow it up and start over....

Hydrae
01-02-2015, 11:01 AM
This defense and Jamaal, that is a recipe for disaster in today's NFL. That old school approach will never go very far!

At least that is what I keep reading here on the Planet. Sadly, it may be true but damn, defense and a stout running game is what made me a fan of this team in the first place and I still enjoy it. Vermiel's Chiefs were fun to watch in many ways but I hated that I could never trust the defense to hold any amount of a lead.