PDA

View Full Version : Football Minnesota Guv wants to control game start times

displacedinMN
01-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Yea, I know-Why do I live there? His idea will never happen. So you know, Most games used to start at 1 or 1:30 or a night game.

Gov. Mark Dayton has put himself in the middle of many sports issues since taking office.
Tuesday the governor took aim at another one. According to the Pioneer Press, Dayton will propose a law to ban 11 a.m. kickoffs at the University of Minnesota.

“They talk about the concern about attendance at the Gopher games – they start them at 11 o’clock in the morning,” Dayton told the newspaper. “I’m going to propose that we pass a law that no (Division I FBS) football game in Minnesota can start before noon.”
The Gophers hosted four games at TCF Bank Stadium that started 11 a.m. this season, but Dayton said that’s just too early.

“If you want to tailgate, you have to be there by 9 a.m.,” Dayton told the newspaper. “Most students I don’t think are awake at 9 a.m.”
The start time of Gophers games is just the latest sports issue that Dayton has attempted to tackle. He pushed through a measure to build a new Minnesota Vikings Stadium, weighed in on the Adrian Peterson situation and took the University of Minnesota to task over a new football/hockey ticket bundling package it created.

But, according to Yahoo Sports writer Nick Bromberg, while student attendance is a problem for some universities it’s not a large issue in the grand scheme of college football, because as Bromberg notes “television dollars rule all.”

Bromberg points out that without the Big Ten’s television deals with FOX, ESPN and its own network, Minnesota would have far less revenue than it currently does.
According to the Pioneer Press, Dayton knows that his proposal may go nowhere, but he told the newspaper this will “get the discussion going.”

Dayton told the newspaper if the idea proves to be a popular one he would see how the other Big 10 state governors feel about it.

Bowser
01-02-2015, 08:09 PM
So the governor is concerned that students won't have ample time to break out the beer bongs before a game? Is that the jist of this thing?

Bugeater
01-02-2015, 08:14 PM
11am games suck. Just getting to and into the stadium is like combat because everyone arrives at about the same time.

This will never happen though, and it doesn't really matter to me since I don't go to games anymore.

Hoopsdoc
01-02-2015, 08:17 PM
I just skimmed the article and I saw nothing in it about why on earth would you start a football game at 11 am? Is it a tv thing, so they can start the next game at 2?

That's the only conceivable reason I can think of.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Tell me again why politicians need to insert themselves in sporting matters?

Bugeater
01-02-2015, 08:18 PM
I just skimmed the article and I saw nothing in it about why on earth would you start a football game at 11 am? Is it a tv thing, so they can start the next game at 2?

Are you new to watching football?

Hoopsdoc
01-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Are you new to watching football?

No, just a bit slow, apparently.

Every game I've ever watched on tv has started at noon or 1.

:shrug:

Bugeater
01-02-2015, 08:41 PM
No, just a bit slow, apparently.

Every game I've ever watched on tv has started at noon or 1.

:shrug:Wait, you're in Indiana. Is that eastern time? We're talking central time here.

TribalElder
01-02-2015, 08:49 PM
11am is way too early to get really drunk

displacedinMN
01-02-2015, 09:18 PM
11am is way too early to get really drunk

Not at Iowa!!!

Wait, you're in Indiana. Is that eastern time? We're talking central time here.
true
Have to think time zones.

An 11 game in central time zone is good for tv. It is over at 2, the next bigger game starts at 2:30. Over at 5:30, next game at 7 after supper.

Move everything up an hour for Eastern (the money).

My problem is being at a football game until 11:30pm Who wants that?

cosmo20002
01-02-2015, 09:20 PM

Yes, a TV thing. They've started to show football on TV now.

displacedinMN
01-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Minnesota had 4 home games at 11am this year.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27230937/gov-mark-dayton-takes-aim-at-early-gophers

His final campaign behind him, Gov. Mark Dayton plans a battle next year over a minor but very personal issue: the start time for University of Minnesota football games.

"They talk about the concern about attendance at the Gopher games -- they start them at 11 o'clock in the morning," Dayton said Tuesday in an interview with the Pioneer Press. "I'm going to propose that we pass a law that no (Division I FBS) football game in Minnesota can start before noon."

Dayton said 11 a.m. kickoffs -- as the Gophers had for home games this year against Northwestern, Purdue, Iowa and Ohio State -- are just too early.

"If you want to tailgate, you have to be there by 9 a.m.," Dayton said. "Most students I don't think are awake at 9 a.m."

The culprit for the start times is the national TV schedule, a big revenue source for football programs like Minnesota's. Dayton blamed TV for the flexible start times, which allows networks to pick and choose matchups based on the teams' recent performances.

"(When) I grew up and went to Gopher games, they started at 1 or 1:30 ... and you knew that for the whole season, so you blocked out those days," Dayton said. "Now, it's about, 'What time does TV want to put us on?' It's all driven by television and the dollars involved there."

Chris Werle, an associate athletic director for the University of Minnesota, declined to comment Tuesday, saying the university wanted to learn more about the proposal.

A message to the NCAA was not immediately returned.

Dayton said his major focus this session will be the budget, transportation funding and education -- not football start times. But he said he has long had a passion to take on the issue.

"I've wanted to do this for 10 years," he said. "I got talked out of it every year I was a (U.S.) senator, then I got talked out of it when I was having to face re-election eventually."

Dayton acknowledged that his proposal might go down in flames, but said he would at least "get the discussion going."

And if people like his idea, Dayton said, he would think about taking it national.

"I'll see if the Big Ten state governors get interested," he said.

Garcia Bronco
01-02-2015, 09:35 PM
You want a tough student body fan base.

Tough student fan bases drink all night friday, pass out, and make the 9 am tailgate. The pussification continues...newbs.

Psyko Tek
01-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Yea, I know-Why do I live there? His idea will never happen. So you know, Most games used to start at 1 or 1:30 or a night game.

Gov. Mark Dayton has put himself in the middle of many sports issues since taking office.
Tuesday the governor took aim at another one. According to the Pioneer Press, Dayton will propose a law to ban 11 a.m. kickoffs at the University of Minnesota.

“They talk about the concern about attendance at the Gopher games – they start them at 11 o’clock in the morning,” Dayton told the newspaper. “I’m going to propose that we pass a law that no (Division I FBS) football game in Minnesota can start before noon.”
The Gophers hosted four games at TCF Bank Stadium that started 11 a.m. this season, but Dayton said that’s just too early.

“If you want to tailgate, you have to be there by 9 a.m.,” Dayton told the newspaper. “Most students I don’t think are awake at 9 a.m.”
The start time of Gophers games is just the latest sports issue that Dayton has attempted to tackle. He pushed through a measure to build a new Minnesota Vikings Stadium, weighed in on the Adrian Peterson situation and took the University of Minnesota to task over a new football/hockey ticket bundling package it created.

But, according to Yahoo Sports writer Nick Bromberg, while student attendance is a problem for some universities it’s not a large issue in the grand scheme of college football, because as Bromberg notes “television dollars rule all.”

Bromberg points out that without the Big Ten’s television deals with FOX, ESPN and its own network, Minnesota would have far less revenue than it currently does.
According to the Pioneer Press, Dayton knows that his proposal may go nowhere, but he told the newspaper this will “get the discussion going.”

Dayton told the newspaper if the idea proves to be a popular one he would see how the other Big 10 state governors feel about it.

at UNofL in the 80's beer breakfasts started at 6 am back in the 80's
if these pussies can't handle it let them play soccer
life WAS tough in the big 8

Baby Lee
01-02-2015, 10:26 PM
at UNofL in the 80's beer breakfasts started at 6 am back in the 80's
if these pussies can't handle it let them play soccer
life WAS tough in the big 8

We would have Saturday morning run throughs for marching band back at Truman, and a bunch of us would sleep on the field with our horns on the sideline after partying Friday night.

lewdog
01-02-2015, 10:31 PM
We had early 11, noon or 1 kickoffs at college since we didn't have lights and it was too cold to play at night most of the year anyway.

It's called kegs and eggs for a reason!

GloucesterChief
01-02-2015, 10:31 PM
I remember 11 am college games. Get up about 9:00, get some hair of the dog/pre-funk and head to the stadium.

Hoopsdoc
01-03-2015, 12:51 AM
Wait, you're in Indiana. Is that eastern time? We're talking central time here.

Ah yes, cultures collide.

CoMoChief
01-03-2015, 01:25 AM
Great idea, but seriously wtf does he have to do w/ any of this?

Worry about real shit....and not worry about what time a football GAME starts.

It's a fucking game.

Eleazar
01-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Dayton is a closeted doucherocket who has never worked a day in his life

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2015, 02:57 AM
Tell me again why politicians need to insert themselves in sporting matters?

Because the taxpayers and municipalities build stadiums and support these welfare billionaires?

Tribal Warfare
01-03-2015, 03:19 AM
You want a tough student body fan base.

Tough student fan bases drink all night friday, pass out, and make the 9 am tailgate. The pussification continues...n00bs.

FYP, to ChiefsPlanet spelling