PDA

View Full Version : Life 6 Months of retirement update

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 06:55 AM
A few of you have inquired personally as to what happened to HemiEd, so I thought I would do this.

It has been just a little over six months now since we retired from the rat race and moved from tax hell to the beauty and lower cost of living in the Ozarks.

The internet, moved down to a very low priority. Mainly a source of information, and we found out the Hughes service sucked out here in the boonies.

The move: Over the three year period of owning this place prior to retiring, we had hauled what I refer to as the "Jed Clampett loads", 17 of them from Illinois, a 560 mile trip. This was done with our Dodge Ram and a 16 ft. aluminum trailer.

You would think, with that many trips, the last load would be small. It was not. I hired a crew to load the heavy "good furniture" onto the 20 ft. U-haul truck, as they had recommended an 18, neither of which was big enough. They ripped my head off on the emergency 12 foot enclosed trailer needed and we were still giving stuff away to the neighbors. It was the trip from hell, but at least we had a crew hired on this end to do the unloading.

Relief, we were no longer living in tax hell and were finally here full time. To quote my big sister, I started working on this place like "my hair was on fire." I more than doubled the size of the back deck, added balisters to the front one, along with stairs and a landing on the front deck. I treated all three decks with "TWP" and they turned out nice.

We had a "boat house" built that took all summer. We live on the side of a rocky hill, consequently the concrete and excavation was 3/4 of the construction cost. I was really missing the flat lands of Kansas that I used to take for granted. Living on a construction site becomes pure torture and I hope to never do it again.

I lost 25 pounds fairly quickly, but have since found it.

There was only one Royals game not televised here and as we all know, it was an amazing season.

We live 9 miles from the nearest vending machine and the peace and quiet is beyond words.

A "trip to the Walmarts" is normally a weekly big event, along with the monthly Springfield trek to Sams.

We go to Branson to fill in the gaps, like Home Depot, a pet store, Kohls etc.

I now own several guns, have moonshine at my disposal and occasionally forget what day it is.

Hoover
01-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Congrats. Enjoy!

Marcellus
01-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Sounds nice!

BucEyedPea
01-07-2015, 07:24 AM
I now own several guns, have moonshine at my disposal and occasionally forget what day it is.

Awesome! Happens when you don't work even if not full-time work.:D

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Congrats. Enjoy!
Thanks Hoover. Are you still enjoying your new place?

Sounds nice!
It is, thanks Marcellus. I have made a couple mistakes that I regret, like trying to be a peacemaker in a feud. That hasn't turned out so good.

Awesome! Happens when you don't work even if not full-time work.:D Never thought it would happen BucEyedPea, and once in a while I forget to shave. Haven't had a haircut since May, but the Mrs. likes it.

Buehler445
01-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Congrats. I hope to someday retire. Probably not though.

ChiefRocka
01-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Can't wait till my 78th birthday!!

CP is definitely the best way to keep the mind dull.

Congrats on the retirement!

Rukdafaidas
01-07-2015, 07:52 AM
I'm glad to hear it's going well. I also hope to be able to retire one day and live in the middle of nowhere.
I love the Mick Dodge avatar, it fits you well. Yuish!

seclark
01-07-2015, 08:00 AM
rock on, ed!
sec

Fish
01-07-2015, 08:05 AM

You lucky SOB!

Congrats, enjoy the hell out of it.

stumppy
01-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Everyone who lives on Tablerock Lake lives on the side of a hill.:D
What part of the lake did you move too ? I might be able to point you towards a couple of good fishing spots.

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Everyone who lives on Tablerock Lake lives on the side of a hill.:D
What part of the lake did you move too ? I might be able to point you towards a couple of good fishing spots.

We live across the lake from Cape Fair Marina stumppy, not too far from anglers bend. Our lot is kind of the "ugly duckling" of the development the way I see it, but we love it.

Sometimes when I go fishing, I forget to cast a line in the water. :D

Dayze
01-07-2015, 08:40 AM
that sounds like my perfect version of retirement. Congrats dude.

stumppy
01-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Sometimes when I go fishing, I forget to cast a line in the water. :D

Niiiiiicccce

Dayze
01-07-2015, 08:52 AM
my old man retired about 3 years ago from KC and moved down to Bella Vista, AR. he had lived in KC his entire life (grew up on a farm at 79th and Quiviria, and lived in Lenexa from then on out). He was nervous at first as he's very much a creature of habit and has a comfort zone.

when he moved down there, they would come back up to visit about once every month to 6 weeks. However now, it's a mircale if they make it up twice a year lol. and when they do come up, they roll in on a Friday evening, and they're gone on Sunday before 10am. lol. He loves it down there. they don't do shit. zero. nada. their sleep schedule is AFU - wake up around 11am, take a 'nap' around 4 (and their 'naps' are like 4 hour jobs). eat dinner around 10pm; stay up until about 4 am. when we go down to visit, we're all on completely opposite schedules. but it's funny hearing the excuses as to why they can't come up lol. I finally just told him 'Dad, look. you don't have to make excuses. I don't blame you if you want to stay down there' lol. EVERY time they are scheduled to come up, I count on about a week prior for him to start complainging of catching a cold or some other ailment that prevents him from coming up.

if I lived down there and was retired, i wouldn't want to come back up to Johnson County either. It's amazing down there.

HonestChieffan
01-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Its awesome. Enjoy it all. And stay in touch with regular doctor checkups. Sitting at St Lukes south today as wife has last pre op proceedure before a valve replacement a week from today..stay healthy and warm

kepp
01-07-2015, 09:06 AM

Now that sounds like a little slice of heaven.

Reerun_KC
01-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Guns, Booze and the country..... Doesn't get much better than that!

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 09:15 AM
my old man retired about 3 years ago from KC and moved down to Bella Vista, AR. he had lived in KC his entire life (grew up on a farm at 79th and Quiviria, and lived in Lenexa from then on out). He was nervous at first as he's very much a creature of habit and has a comfort zone.

when he moved down there, they would come back up to visit about once every month to 6 weeks. However now, it's a mircale if they make it up twice a year lol. and when they do come up, they roll in on a Friday evening, and they're gone on Sunday before 10am. lol. He loves it down there. they don't do shit. zero. nada. their sleep schedule is AFU - wake up around 11am, take a 'nap' around 4 (and their 'naps' are like 4 hour jobs). eat dinner around 10pm; stay up until about 4 am. when we go down to visit, we're all on completely opposite schedules. but it's funny hearing the excuses as to why they can't come up lol. I finally just told him 'Dad, look. you don't have to make excuses. I don't blame you if you want to stay down there' lol. EVERY time they are scheduled to come up, I count on about a week prior for him to start complainging of catching a cold or some other ailment that prevents him from coming up.

if I lived down there and was retired, i wouldn't want to come back up to Johnson County either. It's amazing down there.

I can truly identify with your parents Dayze, we hate leaving. In October we made a 2800 mile drive to visit, daughter/grandson and wife's family on the east coast and then for Christmas a 1500 trip to Texas/Wichita and couldn't wait to get back.
I go to bed early and get up very early anxious to do what I want to do. Like right now, that is nothing.

Its awesome. Enjoy it all. And stay in touch with regular doctor checkups. Sitting at St Lukes south today as wife has last pre op proceedure before a valve replacement a week from today..stay healthy and warm
Prayers with your wife HonestChieffan, they are very good at that now. Will do, my recent checkup resulted in sub 100 total cholesterol and sub 100 triglycerides which is a huge improvement.

kepp
01-07-2015, 09:16 AM
So can you fire your guns on your property, or do you have to go to a range?

Brock
01-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Congrats

WilliamTheIrish
01-07-2015, 09:19 AM

Love this line HemiEd. Life is good.

keg in kc
01-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Nice! Sounds awesome. Grats dude.

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 09:24 AM
So can you fire your guns on your property, or do you have to go to a range?

Oh yes, in fact I set up kind of a crude range and will improve it when the weather gets better. We have a long, fairly narrow 1 1/2 acre lot.

I actually purchased a deer permit this year and sat up on our second story deck with my .243 for about 15 minutes one day.

The previous day, a buck in the rutt practically ran over me in our driveway.

The deer are like goats around here and were eating the plum tree, along with other things we planted.

Iowanian
01-07-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying your retirement.

My folks recently took the plunge also and it's been entertaining to watch....when they're around. Yesterday I go a text of a pic of them metal detecting on an ocean beach. Never saw that one coming 10 years ago. They worked hard for a long time so I'm glad they can enjoy it, and the same for you.

bobbymitch
01-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Sounds like you found your little piece of heaven.

We have been out of the city life for over 3 years and absolutely hate going to the big city. The freaking traffic, stop lights seemingly on every corner, yada, yada. Our dentist and the Bosslady's oncologist are still in the KC area, but damn, we can't wait to get out of town.

And oh ya, we have gigabyte internet access through our local electric co-op, if'n I wants to pay fer it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-07-2015, 09:55 AM
My folks retired about ten years ago. Now they're old and about dead.

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 10:04 AM
My folks retired about ten years ago. Now they're old and about dead.

Do you think that is a result of retiring or eating too much pork?

Dayze
01-07-2015, 10:09 AM
I can truly identify with your parents Dayze, we hate leaving. In October we made a 2800 mile drive to visit, daughter/grandson and wife's family on the east coast and then for Christmas a 1500 trip to Texas/Wichita and couldn't wait to get back.
I go to bed early and get up very early anxious to do what I want to do. Like right now, that is nothing.

Prayers with your wife HonestChieffan, they are very good at that now. Will do, my recent checkup resulted in sub 100 total cholesterol and sub 100 triglycerides which is a huge improvement.

awesome. I hope to be in that position some day. :thumb:

Rain Man
01-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Cool. Congrats to you. You worked for a long time to be able to live the dream.

stevieray
01-07-2015, 10:59 AM
couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

:rockon: with your bad self!!

Chief Henry
01-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Congratulations....very happy for you. Enjoy the rest of your life away from the rat race.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Congratulations bud. You've earned it. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Ozarks as well. If you ever need anything, don't be shy. I live less than 20 miles from you.

stevieray
01-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Congratulations....very happy for you. Enjoy the rest of your life away from the rat race.

CH sighting!

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Cool. Congrats to you. You worked for a long time to be able to live the dream.Thanks Rain Man, it was just a little over 50 years of working for someone else with only one week not being employed, so I was done.

couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

:rockon: with your bad self!!Thanks Stevie, look forward to making a trip or two up to a game next year.

Congratulations....very happy for you. Enjoy the rest of your life away from the rat race.We are sure trying, thanks! It is about time for my afternoon nap.

Congratulations bud. You've earned it. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Ozarks as well. If you ever need anything, don't be shy. I live less than 20 miles from you.

Thanks Flop, we need to get together. Have made a lot of progress on the "man loft" but is still isn't up to Nzoner standards and won't be. Maybe you can come over and catch a game next season or enjoy the water this summer.

FRCDFED
01-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Congrats HemiEd! I lurk more than I post anymore but it is nice to get updates on others that have had changes to their life circumstances. I'm glad yours is for the better! Be safe!

Mr. Flopnuts
01-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Sounds good too me buddy! Appreciate the invite.

Dartgod
01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks Rain Man, it was just a little over 50 years of working for someone else with only one week not being employed, so I was done.

Thanks Stevie, look forward to making a trip or two up to a game next year.

We are sure trying, thanks! It is about time for my afternoon nap.

Thanks Flop, we need to get together. Have made a lot of progress on the "man loft" but is still isn't up to Nzoner standards and won't be. Maybe you can come over and catch a game next season or enjoy the water this summer.
Looks nice, Ed. Congrats on your retirement. I'm jealous.

Is that a dartboard I spy?

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 12:53 PM

It sure is Dartgod and thank you. Darts were a huge passion of mine in the early 80s, an every night of the week affair. This is the first time I have had a board up in many years.

I introduced my middle grandson to the game over the Christmas break and he is hooked on it now.

Dayze
01-07-2015, 12:54 PM

That's his Chiefs Draft Evaluator/Predictor 2000.

hope it gets us better results next year.

Radar Chief
01-07-2015, 01:34 PM

Living the dream, Ed. Living the dream. :thumb:

Hammock Parties
01-07-2015, 02:49 PM
This is a real ass post from a real ass hillbilly.

I am standing and applauding.

Valiant
01-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Congrats, i am still to young to retire. But have a lakehouse on stockton ready.

Groves
01-07-2015, 03:44 PM
You're now very close the best CP gatherings in MO.

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 04:14 PM
This is a real ass post from a real ass hillbilly.

I am standing and applauding.

Thanks Clay, this was after opening Christmas presents.

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Congrats, i am still to young to retire. But have a lakehouse on stockton ready.I have heard great things about Stockton and wish all the best!

You're now very close the best CP gatherings in MO.
Looking forward to it and will keep my eyes peeled. :D

Bwana
01-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Good for you buddy, It sounds like you're enjoying yourself.

Chaunceythe3rd
01-07-2015, 04:45 PM
A few of you have inquired personally as to what happened to HemiEd, so I thought I would do this.

It has been just a little over six months now since we retired from the rat race and moved from tax hell to the beauty and lower cost of living in the Ozarks.
Relief, we were no longer living in tax hell and were finally here full time. To quote my big sister, I started working on this place like "my hair was on fire." I more than doubled the size of the back deck, added balisters to the front one, along with stairs and a landing on the front deck. I treated all three decks with "TWP" and they turned out nice....

Which has the most square feet? The decks or the trailer house?

BigRedChief
01-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Guns, Booze and the country..... Doesn't get much better than that!I lived in that area for a long time. Beautiful area

Beach, Booze and boating sounds better to me.

To each their own.

BigRedChief
01-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks Clay, this was after opening Christmas presents.What car are you driving to Wal-Mart and Sams Club?

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Which has the most square feet? The decks or the trailer house?

I am not sure as the tape measuring gadget only has seven feet left on it.

I lived in that area for a long time. Beautiful area

To each their own.It's all of the above and a little more but the neighbors told me not to tell anyone.

What car are you driving to Wal-Mart and Sams Club?
I don't have the 48 Allis-Chalmers C running yet so it is either the pick up or the Nitro. :D Not the Challenger or DeSoto!

Halfcan
01-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Sounds great-Congrats!!

I love the Ozarks-so much nature and things to do.

Fairplay
01-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Good for you Hemi enjoy the good life my friend.

Reerun_KC
01-07-2015, 07:53 PM
I lived in that area for a long time. Beautiful area

To each their own.
That works as well. No argument from me.

Deberg_1990
01-07-2015, 08:00 PM

The internet, moved down to a very low priority. Mainly a source of information, and we found out the Hughes service sucked out here in the boonies.

The move: Over the three year period of owning this place prior to retiring, we had hauled what I refer to as the "Jed Clampett loads", 17 of them from Illinois, a 560 mile trip. This was done with our Dodge Ram and a 16 ft. aluminum trailer.

You would think, with that many trips, the last load would be small. It was not. I hired a crew to load the heavy "good furniture" onto the 20 ft. U-haul truck, as they had recommended an 18, neither of which was big enough. They ripped my head off on the emergency 12 foot enclosed trailer needed and we were still giving stuff away to the neighbors. It was the trip from hell, but at least we had a crew hired on this end to do the unloading.

Relief, we were no longer living in tax hell and were finally here full time. To quote my big sister, I started working on this place like "my hair was on fire." I more than doubled the size of the back deck, added balisters to the front one, along with stairs and a landing on the front deck. I treated all three decks with "TWP" and they turned out nice.

We had a "boat house" built that took all summer. We live on the side of a rocky hill, consequently the concrete and excavation was 3/4 of the construction cost. I was really missing the flat lands of Kansas that I used to take for granted. Living on a construction site becomes pure torture and I hope to never do it again.

I lost 25 pounds fairly quickly, but have since found it.

There was only one Royals game not televised here and as we all know, it was an amazing season.

We live 9 miles from the nearest vending machine and the peace and quiet is beyond words.

A "trip to the Walmarts" is normally a weekly big event, along with the monthly Springfield trek to Sams.

We go to Branson to fill in the gaps, like Home Depot, a pet store, Kohls etc.

Great to hear from you Ed!

Did you buy a Honda yet?

digger
01-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Congrats! And if you run into my parents, run the other way. LOL

HemiEd
01-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Great to hear from you Ed!

Did you buy a Honda yet?

My power washer has a Honda motor, the fishing boat and pontoon both have Yamahas and the jet ski is a Kawasaki, so yes I am all riced up. :D

Boon
01-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Good for you! Sounds like a pretty good existence.

Donger
01-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Congratulations HemiEd. It sounds delightful.

Nzoner
01-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Great to hear man!

You should mark your calendar for a trip here on Jan 31st for my annual Super Bowl party.I'll even reserve the spare bedroom for you guys that way you'll already be here on Sunday.

HemiEd
01-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Great to hear man!

You should mark your calendar for a trip here on Jan 31st for my annual Super Bowl party.I'll even reserve the spare bedroom for you guys that way you'll already be here on Sunday.

Thanks very much for the invite Joe but the Mrs. already has a flight scheduled to Virginia and I will be taking care of our three dogs by myself. The 2lb. Morkie is a true party crasher when it comes to meeting new people and would wear out her welcome very quickly. We will do this though, we will! Don't give up!

Mav
01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Cheers mate. Sounded grueling, but definitely rewarding!