PDA

View Full Version : Football Former Dolphins FB Rob Konrad falls off boat, swims 9 miles to shore

tk13
01-08-2015, 11:55 PM
Former Miami Dolphin falls off boat, swims 9 miles to shore
Rob Konrad says he saw Coast Guard searching for him
UPDATED 10:15 PM EST Jan 08, 2015

PALM BEACH, Fla. —In an amazing feat of endurance, former Miami Dolphins running back Rob Konrad made it safely ashore in Palm Beach after falling off his fishing boat in the ocean late Wednesday night, and swimming for nine miles.

According to the Coast Guard, they searched for Konrad after he didn't return from a fishing trip.

Konrad told them he was idling in his fishing boat, caught a fish, and while trying to land it, fell off the boat.

The boat kept going and Konrad started swimming in the cold, dark ocean.

More than 10 hours later, he made it ashore in Palm Beach, and walked up to the oceanfront mansion of the late Palm Beach attorney Robert Montgomery, where he told a police officer what happened.

A source said Konrad was barefoot and wearing only his underwear at the time. He was taken to a hospital and treated for signs of hypothermia.

He told police that he saw the Coast Guard helicopter's search light go past him in the ocean, but the spotters didn't see him.

Calls to Konrad's financial consulting business were not returned.

Konrad lives in Boynton Beach.

Read more: http://www.wpbf.com/news/former-miami-dolphin-falls-off-boat-swims-9-hours-to-shore/30602720#ixzz3OIi9PsAC

Hootie
01-08-2015, 11:59 PM
holy shit

thank God he was a world class athlete

listopencil
01-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Wow. Fucking iron man. Glad to hear he made it through that.

TimBone
01-09-2015, 12:07 AM
9 miles? I'da swam some circles first in order to make it at least a 15 miler.

Pussy.

Chief_For_Life58
01-09-2015, 12:09 AM
That is absolutely insane. I need to workout more

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2015, 12:37 AM
He's lucky he didn't get eaten by a shark. But man, that's seriously impressive.

ThaVirus
01-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Swimming in water I can't see through is a huge fear of mine, as is drowning.

This scenario would be one of my worst nightmares.

Valiant
01-09-2015, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I am going to guess this story gets altered in a few days. I have never seen anyone that big be able to swim that long without assistance. Probably drunk on the beach and tide took his boat away.

TimBone
01-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Yeah, I am going to guess this story gets altered in a few days. I have never seen anyone that big be able to swim that long without assistance. Probably drunk on the beach and tide took his boat away.
Do you spend time around a lot of swimmers? I don't ask as a smart ass, I ask because swimming stamina depends on technique.

Back in '06 I was in the army and in excellent shape. Ran 2 miles in 12:45. We had a girl who was overweight and terrible at physical training. They asked me to do extra training with her to get her in shape. I decided to ask her what she would like to do for excercise. Turns out she was a swimmer in high school and wanted to swim for her extra PT. I agree to it. Day one we get in the pool and she swims laps around me for an hour. It was all technique.

I guarantee that chick could have swam 3 or 4 miles no problem, and she was not in great shape.

I see no reason to doubt that dudes 9 mile swim.

Simply Red
01-09-2015, 02:52 AM
Do you spend time around a lot of swimmers? I don't ask as a smart ass, I ask because swimming stamina depends on technique.

Back in '06 I was in the army and in excellent shape. Ran 2 miles in 12:45. We had a girl who was overweight and terrible at physical training. They asked me to do extra training with her to get her in shape. I decided to ask her what she would like to do for excercise. Turns out she was a swimmer in high school and wanted to swim for her extra PT. I agree to it. Day one we get in the pool and she swims laps around me for an hour. It was all technique.

I guarantee that chick could have swam 3 or 4 miles no problem, and she was not in great shape.

I'm going to go ahead and tell you that was delivered nicely - you are very considerate, Swimmers are nice people usually, I've found.

TimBone
01-09-2015, 03:21 AM
I'm going to go ahead and tell you that was delivered nicely - you are very considerate, Swimmers are nice people usually, I've found.

ily

Simply Red
01-09-2015, 04:24 AM
I CAN'T SLEEP!

Chiefs=Champions
01-09-2015, 05:54 AM
If the dude has a bit of fat on him now, it would actually help him. some body fat equals buoyancy.

Simply Red
01-09-2015, 05:55 AM
If the dude has a bit of fat on him now, it would actually help him. some body fat equals buoyancy.

you were in the service huh? TOO SMART!!!!!!!!

Chiefs=Champions
01-09-2015, 05:58 AM
you were in the service huh? TOO SMART!!!!!!!!

One sport that women have an advantage in, is long distance swimming. higher natural body fat%.

Simply Red
01-09-2015, 06:12 AM
One sport that women have an advantage in, is long distance swimming. higher natural body fat%.

Very good. I'm just pissed I couldn't sleep.

Kidd Lex
01-09-2015, 08:09 AM

ROFLROFL SR I dont know if this is meant to be satirical, but either way, you are awesome

Gonzo
01-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Dude was a good FB. I used to trade for him on madden all the time.

blaise
01-09-2015, 08:18 AM
They should call him Bob Konrad.

Pennywise
01-09-2015, 08:42 AM
I heard about this on the way in to work this morning. Dude is hard as woodpecker lips.

Dayze
01-09-2015, 08:58 AM
if I swim about 100 yards I feel like i'm about to die.

InChiefsHeaven
01-09-2015, 09:18 AM

I was out snorkeling in Hawaii with my son a few months back, decided to head in to shore. The swim back was way harder than I anticipated. Even with flippers I got very tired very easy...no way I could do 9 miles in 10 hours. I mean, I'd have to do a back float every five minutes to rest...I'd probably drown.

MahiMike
01-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Now THERE's a fishing story!

morphius
01-09-2015, 09:45 AM
I could see it if you could float. My daughter could do the back float for days, so for her she can do back stroke and rest. Sadly I'm a sinker and while I can swim pretty well, if I try to float my feet go down and the rest just follows.

Lzen
01-09-2015, 09:59 AM
I could see it if you could float. My daughter could do the back float for days, so for her she can do back stroke and rest. Sadly I'm a sinker and while I can swim pretty well, if I try to float my feet go down and the rest just follows.

You know as long as your lungs are filled with air you can float. I could swim quite awhile by doing the back float or back stroke. Not what this guy did, though. I would probably have gotten hypothermia or been eaten by a shark before I made it to shore.

Hootie
01-09-2015, 11:09 AM
You should probably be able to swim a mile, even as a novice, in about 30 minutes.

It took him 10+ hours to swim 9. The human will can do incredible things when the alternative is death.

The Franchise
01-09-2015, 11:10 AM
It took him 10+ hours to swim 9. The human will can do incredible things when the alternative is death.

This.

Pablo
01-09-2015, 11:10 AM
I'm just looking out my window and a few hundred yards looks like a miserable distance to swim.

rico
01-09-2015, 11:17 AM
In reality, what do you guys think are the chances of being eaten by a shark while swimming for 10 hours?

rico
01-09-2015, 11:18 AM
I have to admit, it kind of cracks me up that this happened to an "ex-Dolphin," of all teams...

The Franchise
01-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Kind of stupid to be 10 miles out from shore on a boat all by yourself. At least it is to me.

saphojunkie
01-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Thank God he was a fullback, not a running back. Black dude in underwear knocking on a mansion door in Florida?

ThaVirus
01-09-2015, 11:44 AM
In reality, what do you guys think are the chances of being eaten by a shark while swimming for 10 hours?

I was wondering the same.

And what are the chances of walking any random 10 miles stretch of forest and being eaten by a grizzly?

bricks
01-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Kind of stupid to be 10 miles out from shore on a boat all by yourself. At least it is to me.

You know, as impressive as it is to swim 9 miles to shore, I have to admit, you have a good point.

bricks
01-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Well, its simple to figure that one out. Maybe its because you're not in shape?

SLAG
01-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Swim or Die

I know which I would pick

Dayze
01-09-2015, 12:27 PM
I was merely pointing out that if I were to be in his situation, I'm as good as dead.

beach tribe
01-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm 6' 185 and in pretty good shape. Would never make it to shore from 5 miles out.

My Ex-GF's dad owned a diving company.
This girl has a Fn Getto Booty, but could move through the water like a dolphin.
Body shape doesn't mean shit when swimming.

KCUnited
01-09-2015, 12:35 PM
I was merely pointing out that if I were to be in his situation, I'm as good as dead.

Your Mitch Gaylord ankles couldn't propel you to shore?

beach tribe
01-09-2015, 12:35 PM

Not as high as you might think.

saphojunkie
01-09-2015, 12:44 PM

Lots of animals swim their entire lives without being eaten by a shark.

Simply Red
01-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Depends - where he was I'd say roughly 23% pending time of day/night.

Simply Red
01-09-2015, 01:09 PM
hope that helps bud.

ct
01-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I have to admit, it kind of cracks me up that this happened to an "ex-Dolphin," of all teams...

Thank God he was a fullback, not a running back. Black dude in underwear knocking on a mansion door in Florida?

both of these cracked me up!

nicely done, both

rockymtnchief
01-09-2015, 02:27 PM
I'm 6' 185 and in pretty good shape. Would never make it to shore from 5 miles out.

My Ex-GF's dad owned a diving company.
This girl has a Fn Getto Booty, but could move through the water like a dolphin.
Body shape doesn't mean shit when swimming.

:thumb:
My cousin, who is 40 pounds heavier than me, and I jumped in a river to see if we could swim upstream against a pretty good current. I swam as hard as I could and stayed in the same spot. Shane swam about 200 yards upstream and stopped when he got bored.

Rain Man
01-09-2015, 02:33 PM

I guess that's why he stopped at nine.

I wonder if some Cuban is going to get a free boat out of this. How much range would a boat have if it was just idling in a straight line?

rico
01-09-2015, 03:13 PM
hope that helps bud.

beach tribe
01-09-2015, 03:17 PM
My cousin, who is 40 pounds heavier than me, and I jumped in a river to see if we could swim upstream against a pretty good current. I swam as hard as I could and stayed in the same spot. Shane swam about 200 yards upstream and stopped when he got bored.

Her dad, the guy that owned the diving company, was about 5'7" 215 and you could probably throw a rope around his neck and ride him standing up through the water.
He was an Israeli special forces frog man too, though.
Dude was a straight up killer.

notorious
01-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Swimming in water I can't see through is a huge fear of mine, as is drowning.

This scenario would be one of my worst nightmares.

This.

Don't watch "The Reef".

Valiant
01-09-2015, 03:35 PM

No worries, lot of friends i hang with went to college to swim and coach it now. I swim weekly for exercise. Sure it could happen but every time i see a story about this kind of thing, the facts come back different after the investigations are done. It just seems very unlikely.

Cannot see shore, fighting tide and currents, 9 to 10 miles. I assume no life vest, will have to reread and look for that. Easier explanations out there.

If its true that is amazing and one of those testaments of will and fighting for your life.

Dayze
01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
he was probably out there picking up a shipment of cocaine.

Hootie
01-14-2015, 12:23 AM
Wow. Here's his update:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12155533/rob-konrad-recounts-16-hour-swim-survival

Just amazing resolve. Amazing what the human body can do when death is the alternative.

Scooter LaCanforno
01-14-2015, 05:10 AM

Konrad is lucky as hell. He swam through the Shark Migration in Palm Beach. Millions of Sharks congregate off Palm Beach this time of year. Pure Luck he is alive.

-King-
01-14-2015, 06:26 AM
The truth will come out soon...
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod
01-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Wow. Here's his update:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12155533/rob-konrad-recounts-16-hour-swim-survival

Just amazing resolve. Amazing what the human body can do when death is the alternative.

Wait, I thought it was 10 hours and 9 miles?

The former NFL fullback entered the room with a wobble in his walk, and needed assistance climbing a podium so he could face a media throng and discuss his death-defying 16-hour swim to shore.

He swam to Palm Beach, covering a distance of 27 miles before ringing the doorbell of an oceanfront home for help at 4:30 a.m. Thursday.

Dayze
01-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Goodell will implement the PED drug test here shortly.

....just because he's Goodell.

RNR
01-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Wow! If that was me by the time I made it to shore I would be bloated and dead a few days~

blaise
01-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Konrad is lucky as hell. He swam through the Shark Migration in Palm Beach. Millions of Sharks congregate off Palm Beach this time of year. Pure Luck he is alive.

The ones he encountered were San Jose Sharks, and they were afraid they'd just choke.

KCUnited
01-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Rob Konrad hollowed out Chuck Norris's corpse and used it as a snorkel.

ThaVirus
01-14-2015, 10:54 AM
The thought of being in the middle of the ocean and "things" rubbing up against your leg fucking terrifies me.

NewChief
01-14-2015, 11:00 AM
The truth will come out soon...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah. His story is bullshit.

Red Beans
01-14-2015, 11:05 AM
The thought of being in the middle of the ocean and "things" rubbing up against your leg ****ing terrifies me.

You're fucking creepin' me out dude. Stop. Just stop.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Pff...Aaron Rodgers did that as a warm up for the game Sunday on his one leg.

WhawhaWhat
01-14-2015, 01:57 PM
The thought of being in the middle of the ocean and "things" rubbing up against your leg ****ing terrifies me.

http://i.imgur.com/Nvv2y.jpg

Donger
01-14-2015, 02:06 PM

A few years ago in Grand Cayman, I was snorkeling about 1/2 a mile of the shore. I couldn't see the bottom. All of a sudden, a very large barracuda shows up and begins circling me. I turned for shore, and that fucker just kept circling, getter closer and closer. It was probably about 10 feet away by the time I reached the shore. I knew that they typically aren't dangerous to humans, but that scared me quite a bit, just because of the way they look.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 02:55 PM
A few years ago in Grand Cayman, I was snorkeling about 1/2 a mile of the shore. I couldn't see the bottom. All of a sudden, a very large barracuda shows up and begins circling me. I turned for shore, and that fucker just kept circling, getter closer and closer. It was probably about 10 feet away by the time I reached the shore. I knew that they typically aren't dangerous to humans, but that scared me quite a bit, just because of the way they look.

While in Cancun a decade ago, I had a four foot long barracuda come within inches of my face and bare his teeth. I freaked and swam to a nearby dock as fast as possible where a couple was waiting to pull me up. They saw the whole thing and thought I was about to get attacked.

Trippy.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 02:59 PM
I don't buy it, either.

16 hours without food or water in shark infested waters? 9 miles from shore with no flotation device? No hypothermia?

It doesn't add up.

RunKC
01-14-2015, 03:01 PM
The ocean terrifies me. This would be my worst nightmare. I can't swim away from a shark and idk WTF else is out there.

blaise
01-14-2015, 03:33 PM
While in Cancun a decade ago, I had a four foot long barracuda come within inches of my face and bare his teeth. I freaked and swam to a nearby dock as fast as possible where a couple was waiting to pull me up. They saw the whole thing and thought I was about to get attacked.

Trippy.

When I was a kid we used to go to the Pompano Pier (Florida) and every so often some dude would catch one. I don't think you're supposed to because they can eat poisonous fish.
But when they would get them on the pier the fish would flip all over and try to bite with those teeth and the dudes with have to smash them over the head with a hammer or some other object. They were pretty freaky looking.

Hootie
01-14-2015, 03:34 PM

Are you joking or serious? I'm actually asking. I'm not Hootie trolling right now. I want to know what people think might have actually happened?

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 03:39 PM
When I was a kid we used to go to the Pompano Pier (Florida) and every so often some dude would catch one. I don't think you're supposed to because they can eat poisonous fish.
But when they would get them on the pier the fish would flip all over and try to bite with those teeth and the dudes with have to smash them over the head with a hammer or some other object. They were pretty freaky looking.

My dad is a very experienced diver, exploring shipwrecks all over the world. When I told him what happened, he laughed and said, "When they get that close, you're supposed to stare them down, not swim away. You're lucky he didn't chase you".

Nope. :D

blaise
01-14-2015, 03:41 PM
The 16 hours without food or water can be done. Especially the food. Whether or not you can stay afloat that long I don't know. It is easier in the ocean than in fresh water. I suppose if the sea was calm and you could sort of side stroke and back stroke. I've spent quite a bit of time in that area and the sea doesn't usually seem very rough.

The mileage they say he covered doesn't seem that big a deal to me because of currents. The actual hours afloat seems like the hardest part to believe.

-King-
01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Are you joking or serious? I'm actually asking. I'm not Hootie trolling right now. I want to know what people think might have actually happened?

He didn't swim 9 miles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootie
01-14-2015, 04:00 PM
He didn't swim 9 miles.
Posted via Mobile Device
So he went on a meth binge and they came up with this cover story to keep a guy everyone forgot existed relevant?

-King-
01-14-2015, 04:58 PM
So he went on a meth binge and they came up with this cover story to keep a guy everyone forgot existed relevant?

What are you talking about? Just saying that literally every detail of this story came from him and him only. Also, his story while not impossible, is almost impossible. Especially for someone who wasn't prepared to do so.

Here's deadspins article on it http://deadspin.com/what-do-we-know-about-rob-konrads-16-hours-at-sea-1679089696
Posted via Mobile Device

lewdog
01-14-2015, 05:12 PM

Long distance swimmers are questioning the reality of his story. Saying he'd have certain signs if he really was in the water that long.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Long distance swimmers are questioning the reality of his story. Saying he'd have certain signs if he really was in the water that long.

Hypothermia would have set in after 2 hours in 75 degree water with a wind chill of 60 degrees, let alone managing to survive the eight foot swells described by the Coast Guard in shark infested waters.

He's trying to cover up something.

SAUTO
01-14-2015, 07:10 PM
Hypothermia would have set in after 2 hours in 75 degree water with a wind chill of 60 degrees, let alone managing to survive the eight foot swells described by the Coast Guard in shark infested waters.

He's trying to cover up something.

Actually the article says between 2 and 12 hours.

Which seems like a wide margin

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Actually the article says between 2 and 12 hours.

Which seems like a wide margin

It most likely depends on body weight, body fat, clothing or non-clothing. But I mentioned hypothermia before the article link because that was my first question:

How does someone avoid hypothermia, sharks and swells while swimming for 9 miles?

SAUTO
01-14-2015, 07:14 PM
It most likely depends on body weight, body fat, clothing or non-clothing. But I mentioned hypothermia before the article link because that was my first question:

How does someone avoid hypothermia, sharks and swells while swimming for 9 miles?

Oh I know.

By reading the article if this story is true it's fucking amazing.

blaise
01-14-2015, 07:17 PM
You could avoid sharks just because the ocean is so vast. I don't know what the ocean temperature is there, but it is south Florida. I just can't imagine staying afloat that long, though.
I don't know that he did anything shady but he might be grossly overestimating how long/far he was out there.
I can't figure what his motive is though, if he's lying. At first I thought maybe he sunk the boat for money, but they found the boat, right?
So why do it? Publicity? Seems weird to do it for that.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Oh I know.

By reading the article if this story is true it's fucking amazing.

That's what makes me believe it's not true. Sharks? Okay, I get it. He's not the first guy in the ocean not to get eaten by a shark. 9 miles? Wow, that's a long, long way. I'd drown, for sure.

But it's the exhaustion and no food part that makes it unbelievable to me. Now, if he was on a raft or a floatation device, I could buy the story. But swimming nine miles, at night, with 8 foot swells?

It's just too difficult to believe.

blaise
01-14-2015, 07:20 PM
I does seem unbelievable though that you wouldn't just get so exhausted that you inhaled a big mouthful of water and went under. Even a calm ocean is somewhat choppy.

notorious
01-14-2015, 07:22 PM
If he's trying to cover something up, why not say 2 miles?

Why did he have to go for 9?

Fairplay
01-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Maybe his story will be made into a movie. From beginning to end a dude swimming in the ocean. Go out for popcorn and a poop and you won't miss out on anything.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2015, 07:43 PM
There is a strong air of bullshit to his story. Nine miles over 12 hours is far more taxing than a marathon.

Marcellus
01-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Nothing in that DeadSpin story refutes anything.

It seems that he may have been helped by the current and was never actually 9 miles from shore but could have traveled 9 miles. He was probably out there for a damn long time.

I don't even understand any motivation for this story to be made up unless he killed someone and needed an alibi. Maybe he was pulling some Dexter shit.

blaise
01-14-2015, 07:51 PM

It seems that he may have been helped by the current and was never actually 9 miles from shore but could have traveled 9 miles. He was probably out there for a damn long time.

I don't even understand any motivation for this story to be made up unless he killed someone and needed an alibi. Maybe he was pulling some Dexter shit.

That's what I was saying before. The mileage, to me, can be misleading. You can just be out in the ocean swimming around and find out you went far down the beach from where you went in just 15 minutes.
So, depending on how strong the currents were he could have gone a long distance by doing nothing more than treading water.

When people are talking about long distance swimming with the intent to do it in a certain time it would be different than just trying to stay afloat.

Marcellus
01-14-2015, 07:53 PM
There is a strong air of bullshit to his story. Nine miles over 12 hours is far more taxing than a marathon.

You would think but it depends on how much swimming vs floating he had to do.

He could also be a genetic freak. According to his book, Dean Karnazes started his Ultra Running career by running 30 miles one night on a whim with no previous training.

-King-
01-14-2015, 08:08 PM

He actually traveled 27 miles.... Current was pushing him north. Not west to shore.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 08:52 PM

He could also be a genetic freak. According to his book, Dean Karnazes started his Ultra Running career by running 30 miles one night on a whim with no previous training.

Running and swimming are completely different. You can fall and likely won't die. Go under in the ocean with eight foot swells while experiencing hypothermia and you're dead.

Marcellus
01-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Running and swimming are completely different. You can fall and likely won't die. Go under in the ocean with eight foot swells while experiencing hypothermia and you're dead.

You can stop swimming and float just like you can stop running and walk. Both take some effort but allow rest.

No doubt the repercussions of failure are different but the physical feat isn't on different planetary scales. I have multiple friends who have done 100 mile runs. The longest training run they do is usually 50 miles. Its hard to fathom it if you didn't know how common it is anymore.

Its simply not as easy as saying yes or no. The human body is pretty amazing especially when attached to a specific type of mind. Kind of like how it works for musicians.

Bowser
01-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Sounds like the Columbians dumped him in the ocean after the drug deal went bad.

That's just me being a wise ass, I think. If there really is more to the story, hopefully nobody finds out, for his sake.

Rain Man
01-14-2015, 09:26 PM
An ironman race takes 12+ hours and this guy is a former pro athlete. While it would be very difficult, I guess it doesn't seem to me like it would be impossible, especially in a life or death situation.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 09:28 PM
Sounds like the Columbians dumped him in the ocean after the drug deal went bad.

That's just me being a wise ass, I think. If there really is more to the story, hopefully nobody finds out, for his sake.

If his wife and kids mean so much to him, why was he nine miles out on his boat, alone, with no life jacket and no cell phone?

His story really smells.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2015, 09:32 PM

Occam's Razor.

Marcellus
01-14-2015, 09:33 PM
If his wife and kids mean so much to him, why was he nine miles out on his boat, alone, with no life jacket and no cell phone?

His story really smells.

People do dumb shit every single day. I know people who will tell you they love their family more than life yet they don't wear a seat belt and will give you a line of BS as to why.

I am amazed how many people won't wear a seat belt and I find it really dumb and unexplainable.

Marcellus
01-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Occam's Razor.

If you are looking for the most common explanation then yes. Some people don't fall under that category. Seems an ex NFL player could logically not be common.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2015, 09:37 PM
People do dumb shit every single day. I know people who will tell you they love their family more than life yet they don't wear a seat belt and will give you a line of BS as to why.

I am amazed how many people won't wear a seat belt and I find it really dumb and unexplainable.

I don't know if you are familiar with the ocean or boating or sailing or any other maritime venture. I am. And that man broke every rule that any sailor would follow unless he went out there to commit suicide or something devious.

His story is not believable.

Chiefs=Champions
01-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned yet. But a shark attack is highly unlikely. Even while in the water for that long, there is very little reason and chance of a shark attacking him.

Rain Man
01-14-2015, 09:42 PM
He was an NFL fullback. I don't think that group is particularly known for being logical and probably is known for being invincible.

Chiefs=Champions
01-14-2015, 09:42 PM
If the guy was smart enough to float on his back and gently swim, I could see him doing it. Im sure the story is somewhat exaggerated. But its not beyond reason.

Rain Man
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned yet. But a shark attack is highly unlikely. Even while in the water for that long, there is very little reason and chance of a shark attacking him.

I'm trying to figure out if the shark attack discussion is a joke or not. He was probably more likely to have a submarine attack him than a shark.

lewdog
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
You can avoid a shark attack. That's believable.

It's the 10 hours in salt water with very little damage that's not.

But I'll leave it to Steve Marcellus Zissou to tell me what to believe.

TimBone
01-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Has it already been asked if we should bring him in for a look?

jonzie04
01-14-2015, 10:44 PM

This, most Americans could float 9 miles no problem. Lol

Scooter LaCanforno
01-15-2015, 05:16 AM
I'm trying to figure out if the shark attack discussion is a joke or not. He was probably more likely to have a submarine attack him than a shark.

Google Florida Shark Migration

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 06:37 AM
Google Florida Shark Migration

Google shark bite probability.

Marcellus
01-15-2015, 07:23 AM
You can avoid a shark attack. That's believable.

It's the 10 hours in salt water with very little damage that's not.

But I'll leave it to Steve Marcellus Zissou to tell me what to believe.

I haven't tried to tell anyone what they should believe, like others I have simply stated an opinion. Unlikely and impossible are not the same thing and it doesn't sound completely impossible to me. Humans can do some crazy shit.

Its more likely the story is simply exaggerated.