PDA

View Full Version : Music Red Dirt Juke Box

Iowanian
01-13-2015, 04:41 PM
In several discussions about music, several posters bring in Red Dirt Music to the conversation.

In this thread, I'd like to do things a little different to help people learn about our favorite artists, and post a couple of youtube videos of their song and your personal favorite playlist of that artist.
Feel free to include your own contributions, but follow the format. Videos of live performances, and list a few of your favorite songs.

I've met a few of these guys and have had beers with some of them, so I'll share stories and nuggets that they've told me. It's fine if you have a different take of the same artists or offer a different playlist.

Happy listening.

Bufkin
01-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Good thread idea.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P6UVhZTTWb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
01-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Jason Boland and the Stragglers are first up. http://www.thestragglers.com/index.php?pg=music You can listen to most of his music in the link.

Boland has been a staple and pioneer in Red Dirt/Texas Music and has a pretty extensive list of songs. He touches on subjects of alcohol, drugs, social injustice among others.
Jason Boland had a vocal chord issue a couple of years ago that about killed his career, but the guy still has pipes.

The base player is from Kansas City, always sports Royals and Chiefs caps and is a damn nice guy to talk to. Grant has a youtube cooking show.

First up, my favorite song on the new album. The Dark and Dirty Mile
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2s_JiVSouO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some of my favorites:
Dark and Dirty Mile
Lucky I guess
Cormall County Blues
Blowing Through the Hills
Gallo Del Cielo This song is about a mexican fighting rooster
Bottle by my bed
When I'm stoned (a Colorado resident favorite)
Gear and Dust
Devil Pays in Gold
Noone left to blame
False Accusers Lament

There are many others, but these are the ones I like the best right now.
Gear and Dust...Live with Cody Canada accoustic
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8EJJe4vwpjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a youtube playlist with a pretty good overview of Boland's stuff
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mEzNmqLHHEQ?list=RDHCeLuaAn5XVSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Had to google :

Red Dirt Music is a music genre that gets its name from the color of soil found in Oklahoma. Although Stillwater, Oklahoma is considered to be the center of Red Dirt music,[1] there is a separate Texas Red Dirt subgenre as well. Outlaw Country legends Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson have been associated with the distinctive Texas sound while the late Oklahoma singer/songwriter Bob Childers is widely recognized as the Father of Oklahoma Red Dirt music. At one time, the distinction between the two genres was sonically obvious, but by 2008, that gap had diminished.[2]

Iowanian
01-13-2015, 05:15 PM
My personal favorite, as mentioned before is the Turnpike Troubadours.

I've seen them live 5-6 times and have spent 2-3hrs talking with them at different times in a small venue after the show. They're very nice guys, even if they like to party a little bit. They've gotten much bigger now and are playing larger venues. If you like the music and get a chance, you need to see them live.

These guys write a lot of their own songs. The stand up base player is a pharmacist by education.

http://www.turnpiketroubadours.com/pg/music-video
You can listen to 2 full albums on this link. If this band doesn't become one of your favorites, you're not wired for this kind of music.

Gin-Smoke and Lies
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ki4VJCsF0qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My playlist for this band is long.
Gin Smoke Lies
Before the Devil Knows we're dead
Southeastern Son
Blue Star
Every Girl
Kansas City Southern
Whole Damn Town
Long Hot Summer Days
Evangeline
Shreveport
Morgan Street
Wrecked.

Honestly, they don't have a song that I skip if it comes in the rotation in itunes.

Long Hot Summer Day
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ahmn02Urc0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Before the Devil Knows we're dead...live version. Not my favorite version.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uTYq66Tx1GY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Every Girl
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mt1eevCbhmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RelbbYG7H8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
01-13-2015, 09:15 PM

I've seen them live 5-6 times and have spent 2-3hrs talking with them at different times in a small venue after the show. They're very nice guys, even if they like to party a little bit. They've gotten much bigger now and are playing larger venues. If you like the music and get a chance, you need to see them live.

These guys write a lot of their own songs. The stand up base player is a pharmacist by education.

You can listen to 2 full albums on this link. If this band doesn't become one of your favorites, you're not wired for this kind of music.

Gin-Smoke and Lies
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ki4VJCsF0qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gin Smoke Lies
Southeastern Son
Blue Star
Every Girl
Kansas City Southern
Whole Damn Town
Long Hot Summer Days
Evangeline
Shreveport
Morgan Street
Wrecked.

Honestly, they don't have a song that I skip if it comes in the rotation in itunes.

Listened to these guys a good amount tonight on youtube.

I'm digging them. Gonna have to find some to add to itunes.

Thanks!

Mr. Flopnuts
01-13-2015, 09:36 PM
I love that I can see most of these guys live and diet cheap within 2 hours of my house. Stoney LaRue is a big one, but Sturgill Simpson is easily my favorite. Thanks Strongside! can't embed from my tablet.

Sturgill Simpson - Medicine Springs (Live on KEXP…: http://youtu.be/HMB3sfvrFKc

Iowanian
01-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Sturgil Simpson is also one of my favorites. He used to play with a band called Sunday Valley. I'll do a post if someone else doesn't soon. Medicine Springs, Life Ain't Fair, King Turd, Turtles all the way down....are the places to start with his music.

Others I intend to itroduce are the Dirty River Boys, John D Hale Band, Stoney Larue, Cody Canada and the Departed, Wade Bowen, Randy Rodgers, Hellbound Glory, Jason Eady, Casey Donahue and Pat Green. There are several other artists in the texas music top 40 that I'm not familiar with at this time.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-13-2015, 10:27 PM
I was interested to learn that medicine springs was a remake of an old song.

Iowanian
01-13-2015, 10:36 PM
You'll find quite a few of the most popular songs are remakes from other current artists or new spin on old songs.

One of my favorite songs is LA County by John D Hale Band....I can't find a good youtube of any quality....but that's a Lyle Lovett Song, and coincidently, Lyle Lovett is sitting in number 1 on the chart with Pat Green today.
Alot of these bands are friends, and there are a lot of opportunities to see 2-3-4 of the leads playing accoustic in small venues when they aren't touring, and they'll play each other's songs.

Sturgil's version of Medicine Springs is awesome. I can't embed video from ipad or I would.

Some of these guys, I much prefer live....prime example is Jason Eady. I enjoy his live stuff much more than the production sound.

IF you're wanting to "cruise" Red Dirt songs, do a youtube search of "Music Fog" sessions.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-13-2015, 10:39 PM
I ADORE Sturgill's remake of Medicine Springs. One of the few songs where I like the remake better than the original. He is far and away my favorite artist of any genre right now. Has been for months.

Buehler445
01-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Jason Boland ...
Some of my favorites:
Dark and Dirty Mile
Lucky I guess
Cormall County Blues
Bottle by my bed
Gear and Dust
Devil Pays in Gold
Noone left to blame
False Accusers Lament

My favorite two of his are Telephone Romeo and Proud Souls. Dude is one of my favorites.

You know my opinion on Turnpike Troubadours since you turned me onto them. Probably my favorite band of all time at this point.

Listened to these guys a good amount tonight on youtube.

I'm digging them. Gonna have to find some to add to itunes.

Thanks!
Spotify is your friend. They pretty much don't have a bad song. If you ever get the opportunity, see them live. They are worth it. Mad reps to Iowanian for turning me onto them.

Buehler445
01-13-2015, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure if they're still at it but, Randy Rogers Band is good. http://www.randyrogersband.com/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JRXJ4lbCyQQ?list=PLA6866A264E5B631D" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They've got a ton of good songs but some of my favorites are

Lost and Found
One Thing I know
Never Be that High
Buy Myself a Chance
In My Arms Instead
Better off Wrong

Buehler445
01-13-2015, 11:38 PM
Whiskey Myers sings a lot of different kinds of songs, but he's intense man. I like his soulful stuff a little better, but there's a lot of good out there. http://whiskeymyers.com/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XOeSwMKYQH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Songs I like
Ballad of a Southern Man (I usually hate this "type" song)
Lonely East Texas Nights
Gone Away
Summer 2005
Nobody Knows her Name

Buehler445
01-13-2015, 11:43 PM
Iowanian mentioned Cody Canada. It's all old, but it broke me into Red Dirt. I'm a big listener of Cross Canadian Ragweed, the band that Cody Canada used to be in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O6yUo4C7l48?list=PL53E236EAE874931A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Songs that stand out, but I like pretty much every song by them.
Alabama
Constantly
Cry Lonely
Down
Wanna Rock and Roll
This Time Around

Buehler445
01-13-2015, 11:44 PM
I gotta hit the sack. I'll post some lesser known stuff I like later on.

Good thread Iownian.

listopencil
01-14-2015, 12:54 AM
I love that I can see most of these guys live and diet cheap within 2 hours of my house. Stoney LaRue is a big one, but Sturgill Simpson is easily my favorite. Thanks Strongside! can't embed from my tablet.

Sturgill Simpson - Medicine Springs (Live on KEXP…: http://youtu.be/HMB3sfvrFKc

Now that is some good shit.

Archie F. Swin
01-14-2015, 06:04 AM
I live in the heart of Red Dirt country and the hometown of Cody Canada, but I'm criminally out of touch with the genre. I'm a Rock/Rap guy but I'm mildly interested in learning more about RD music. I don't know if he's lumped in with other RD artists, but I'm a big fan of Robert Earl Keen.

Buehler445
01-14-2015, 08:26 AM
I live in the heart of Red Dirt country and the hometown of Cody Canada, but I'm criminally out of touch with the genre. I'm a Rock/Rap guy but I'm mildly interested in learning more about RD music. I don't know if he's lumped in with other RD artists, but I'm a big fan of Robert Earl Keen.

Keen is red dirt by my estimation. Post up some favorites.

Archie F. Swin
01-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Keen is red dirt by my estimation. Post up some favorites.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RArZGbD9k-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rw-VIlPy0yI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

REK's lead guitar player is mutherfucker

Dartgod
01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
The base player is from Kansas City...The stand up base player is a pharmacist by education.

Bass, dammit, BASS!

:D

Now that I cleared that up, I'll give some of these a listen.

Buehler445
01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm a pretty big Reckless Kelly fan. They play a lot of different types of songs also. I pretty much don't skip one if they come on. One of the best IMO.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B38pNFM9a3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other songs I like:
Bulletproof
How was California?
God Forsaken Town
Seven Nights in Eire (Not sure that one falls under Red Dirt, but it's a great song)
Nobody's Girl

But like I said, they're all pretty damn good.

Buehler445
01-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Aaron Watson is pretty decent. He's got kind of an old school sound to him. There is some of his stuff that doesn't resonate with me, but he's definitely good for a listen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W0RthSr3l0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Songs I like:
Raise your bottle
Barbed Wire Halo
Next to Heaven
Whiskey on the Fire

Buehler445
01-14-2015, 09:41 AM

That big ass motherfucker? Heh. Didn't know that.

Buehler445
01-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Most people either love him or hate him, but I like some of the stuff Christ Knight puts out. You have to like that kind of music, if not, keep on moving, but he does sing with some soul. I had a hard time finding much on Youtube from him. Most are crappy sounding live vids. The one I found has decent sound, but the video is kind of lame.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vka2tpEnIeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other songs I like from him
Cry Lonely
Down the River
Nothing on me
Go on home

Buehler445
01-14-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm normally not huge on female leads but Kylie Rae Harris is pretty damned good. I listed to her perform this song in the studio of a local (for around here) radio station. She was damn good. In a crappy ass western Kansas radio station. It boggles my mind how Taylor Swift can be a superstar, but couldn't hold a candle to this chick. Anyway, she's worth a listen IMO:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TqgkzbNcxpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't have her on any kind of rotation, here are some of her songs I like
I'd Rather Be Lonely
Slide Over
Waited.

Iowanian
01-14-2015, 10:41 AM
If you like female contributions, the Trisha's are talented. You'll hear some of those ladies doing the female parts on many red dirt duets.

Sturgil Simpson (also found in Sunday Valley on youtube)

Sturgil is a veteran. Some of his music you swear you are listening to Waylon Jennings. He has a very traditional, nasally sound. The thing that separates him from the others, besides his voice....is he's a very intelligent guy. He is big into hallucinogens and sings and talks alot about mind expansion, universe stuff....as well as shrooms, DMT and sensory deprivation chamber stuff.

My favorites from him:
Life Ain't Fair......the first song of his I heard and I was a fan in 20 seconds.
Medicine Springs
You can have the crown
Turtles all the way down.

The new album is pretty spacey and he swears you have to hear it on vinyl and high to get it......

He has a 2hr podcast with Joe Rogan that was pretty interesting, and has been getting mainstream play this past couple of months on Letterman and Late night shows.

Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rUpH0muyR-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HMB3sfvrFKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tNV16tz1NK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nbJOwJVyuJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
01-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Jason Eady is singer-songwriter.

I much prefer his live stuff to the recorded. I've never met him personally but he's very talented. I talked to a guy who had him come and play a birthday party so for a fee and an airplane ticket you can get this guy at your house....

He has a long list and alot of it deals with traditional country problems, drinking, wife leaving, but he has a nice spin on the comeback too.

This is the song that turned me on to Jason eady Music
AM COUNTRY HEAVEN
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NCrWp1kPHtw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Waiting to Shine
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/poZCGRL6_ZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Judgement Day. He talks about Kansas City and playing this song for his hero there.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a2ueEEYHVXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This Old Guitar and Me....... one of my personal favorites.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HSeeFpv0-o0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-14-2015, 03:09 PM
I give this thread a :thumb::thumb:

Iowanian
01-14-2015, 03:40 PM
The Dirty River Boys

This band has 2 styles of music depending on which of the leads are singing. It's like listening to 2 different bands sometimes. One has a Dillon type sound and Nino(the short guy) I'd say has more of a John Cougar Mellencamp quality.

The distinguishing thing about this band is the drummer, who plays a wooden box drum(I believe what Bob Dole from CP plays)....I've seen them a few times in a small venue and have chatted with all of them for a couple of hours. Nice guys who like to play music.

Raise Some Hell Tonight
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4fJv3UjD7U4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boom Town
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6QnTWMllCFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Six Riders
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mVL2q3k7WQY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dried Up
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IR2B7CFAQU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Carnival Eyes
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OEloBEWiBPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
01-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Hellbound Glory
This band broke up at the end of the year and that talent is now solo as Leon Virgil Bowers.

They call their music "Scumbag Music" and their female followers "Scum hags". Kind of makes sense.

I've had a beer with this guy, and I can't say I'd consider them solid human beings afterwards, but the guy can sing and has a unique sound. They got most of their original notoriety doing viral videos, and toured last year with Kid Rock for a while.

Bastard Child This is the song that I found that put me onto their music
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QDzyGXprgZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Better Hope you Die Young This is the song for every bad girlfriend you ever had
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZXeak-bLOpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lost Cause
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/37MNIeq-V7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Malt Liquor I like this song, but it's more mainstream they played on the Kid Rock tour

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hBo6sh8ennc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
01-15-2015, 03:02 PM
I kind of feel like I'm talking to myself.
Is there enough interest in this to be worth the effort? I'll keep doing it if you're digging it or I'll climb back inside my own personal jukebox if not.

lewdog
01-15-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm jamming Iowanian! Just gonna have to make a list and listen to it on the weekends I think. Hard to get through it most nights.

I like Hellbound Glory there. Didn't care for The Dirty River Boys.

Iowanian
01-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Fans of the turnpike Troubadours..... old and new

Turnpike Troubadours is playing in Lawrence, Ks at the Grenda Theater Feb 19.

Wish it were closer.

Simply Red
01-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Fans of the turnpike Troubadours..... old and new

Turnpike Troubadours is playing in Lawrence, Ks at the Grenda Theater Feb 19.

Wish it were closer.

Did you like my L7 suggestion in KC Mizzou's video thread, today?

It's Shit-List - great song!

Simply Red
01-15-2015, 07:19 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VCZVRQ3z5qE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
01-15-2015, 11:13 PM
I'm obviously into it, but understand if you don't want to do the digging.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 11:13 PM
Been listening to Sturgil Simpson for the past couple of weeks. Defintely digging the shit out of both of his albums. Both are a great listen through.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_EGCwKp1Xss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one is my current fave.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-16-2015, 10:49 AM
I kind of feel like I'm talking to myself.
Is there enough interest in this to be worth the effort? I'll keep doing it if you're digging it or I'll climb back inside my own personal jukebox if not.

Don't stop. I love this type music. I've been playing these songs on background while I do other work on my laptop.

I just don't have anything I can contribute to the thread like most I suspect.

Iowanian
01-16-2015, 11:21 AM
I tried Red, but I'd rather read a deberg thread about the Cinco De Mayo parade I attended with Kcnative than listen to that song again, but you seem nice.

Did you like my L7 suggestion in KC Mizzou's video thread, today?

It's Shit-List - great song!

Iowanian
01-16-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm trying some new music now so I'm going to do something different.
This post, I will link the current top 5 songs on the Texas/Red Dirt Chart.

Pat Green(with Lyle Lovett)
Girls from Texas Current #1
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e7CxCz3ijfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Josh Abbott Band
Hangin' Around Current #2
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3RvCwXqNFuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aaron Watson
That Look Current #3 I'd never heard him before.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/61dXO7Yz3TE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kyle Watson
Turn that Crown Upside Down Current #4
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LBPPGlepuDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wade Bowen
When I woke up Today Current #5
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BV8WEFSG_rY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not going to lie, I fear some D-bags are inching their way into my music.....I don't like the "Mainstream" sound I'm starting to hear.

Iowanian
01-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Here is an article about the Dirty River Boys that came across my feed today that I thought was worth sharing about them.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2015/01/the_dirty_river_boys_best_texas_country_live_band.php

On an average Thursday night in the early spring of 2012, the Glass Cactus in Grapevine, next to the monolithic Gaylord Texan Hotel was empty. Such a scenario seemed stranger still, given the night club's reputation as a prime cougar den and ideal spot for business travelers looking for a good Texas-style time on the dance floor. Oddly enough, Thursday night's at the Glass Cactus were reserved for "Texas Music," so a lack of out-of-towners with hotel rooms seemed even more ironic.

As empty as the club, specifically the expansive dance floor in front of the room was that night; the stage was kind of packed. Two bands were on tap that night with local favorites Eleven Hundred Springs playing the late set. That band's gear was partially set-up near the back of the stage as a raucous quartet from El Paso lay waste to the parts of the stage that Eleven Hundred's gear wasn't set. Without giving a crap about how many people were in front of them, the Dirty River Boys brought the noise in the form of their take on honky-tonk, punk, folk, and even a Celtic jig or two.
See also:
Five Dallas Country Bands to Watch in 2015
Country Music Will Rebound in 2015 as It Shakes off Its Bro-Country Shackles

With only an assortment of acoustic instruments and a wooden box for the beat at its disposal, this group made me a true believer. It was a revelation. That performance personified the idea of a hungry young band that plays with the same passion to five people they would employ if playing to an arena full of screaming drunks.

Now, Nino Cooper, Marco Gutierrez, Travis Stearns and Colton James, have been legit headliners since the release of Science of Flight, the group's first full-length (two rustic, yet powerful EPs had been released previously) in the fall of 2012. And, before I confuse anyone, that record, and especially 2014's self-titled album are fantastic examples of a band that runs in Texas Country circles but have more than busted through such limiting barriers from a sonic perspective. Their albums have grown with the live version of the band with the guys plugging in and cranking the amps on this latest record more than it had ever before.

The key to the group's live show domination goes beyond the infectious energy which emanates from the stage it inhabits. Any given Dirty River Boys show is damn near a rock and roll variety hour. The group will headline a show at the Granada Theater tonight and it's sure to be raging. The energy that will be exhibited is even cooler given the group, which began as a trio, minus James, playing as quietly as it could in corners of El Paso restaurants and coffee houses. Take a look at the "About page" on the group's official Facebook page and you'll see each member is responsible for many roles. Each guy has at least four duties listed, but it seems like each one does more. And those roles are carried out in a wild-ass, backwoods form of musical chairs. Everyone sings lead at some point. Most play the other's instrument, including the upright bass usually played by the Hank Sr. look-alike James. The circuit-style performance is done seamlessly, but not so polished it loses character. You are never anything but fully engorged engaged during a DRB concert.

Unlike many of the revered vets of the regional touring circuit such as Reckless Kelly, Charlie Robison, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band and the Turnpike Troubadours, who all proffer expertly executed sets with amazing consistency, DRB kicks things up a few notches in a way that simply no other act touring Texas (and beyond in many cases) are doing, thanks in large part to their form of instrumental A.D.D. In all fairness, one's status as a true Texan should rightfully be questioned should someone admit to not having ever sang along to "The Road Goes on Forever" at a Robert Earl Keen show, but as special as that individual experience is, it often has more to do with the listener's connection to the iconic song, and not so much the performance of the song itself. For example, I won't lie, for me, Keen could hold up poster boards with the lyrics to that song on them while standing on a stage and I'd still be shouting "Texas Forever!" with my shredded throat after he was done.

A Dirty River Boys show is about what they do to you, the concert attendee in the moment you are watching them.

This past July, just before the latest album came out, the group took the Gas Monkey Bar 'n Grill stage on a gorgeous night. This time, hundreds were there for them, not the souvenir Gas Monkey shirts. Cooper and Gutierrez, the two "front-men" if only because they handle the majority of the lead-singing were looking more dapper than before. An electric guitar or two could be spotted on the stage. Stearns, sitting behind them had a couple a few percussive toys added to the wooden box he sits on and slaps while James looked even buffer in his white tank than before.

They certainly looked more polished. I had seen them a time or two since that lonely Glass Cactus Night, but this was the first time I felt like I might be watching something akin to DRB 2.0. Had they gone too far? Did they get too pretty? Had they ditched their dusty mélange of rootsy tunes in favor of some sort of stab at the so-called Texas Country big-time? Quick answer: no. Not even close.

While the boys were more fluid in their movements, and suave in their appearance, the grit and the electricity that has made their shows the best of any band driving a white van around this state was intact and powerful. Going from old, acoustic-driven sing-alongs such as "Boomtown," to a faithful rendition of "Blitzkrieg Bop," to honor Tommy Ramone, who had just passed that week, the foursome was flawless when they could've been terribly flawed, given the hyper nature of its shows.

The Dirty River Boys is the best live act this state has seen in a seriously long time. And they're still getting started. The only thing they're done with is playing to empty suburban dance floors.

Iowanian
01-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Today an article was releases announcing that Sturgil Simpson has signed a record deal with Atlantic records. I hope they don't ruin him.

Sturgill Simpson performs on 'Late Night With Seth Meyers' in November. Simpson recently signed a major-label deal with Atlantic. NBC/NBCUniversal
Don't count on Sturgill Simpson to do anything by the book.

SIDEBAR

40 Best Country Albums of 2014 »
Ten months after the independent release of Metamodern Sounds in Country Music — an album that was recorded in less than a week, with a budget of $4,000 and an Estonian lead guitarist who'd grown up playing blues and rock & roll instead of country — the singer has signed a major-label deal with Atlantic Records. The news arrives on the tail end of a busy year that also included a surprise Grammy nomination, multiple late-night TV appearances and a win at the 2014 Americana Music Awards. Not to mention acclaim from virtually all corners of the music-loving public, from cowboy-hatted country fanatics who herald Simpson as the next Waylon Jennings to psychedelic hippies who are familiar with the "reptile aliens made of light" mentioned in Metamodern's lead-off track, "Turtles All the Way Down."

While Simpson's publicist confirmed the signing to Rolling Stone Country today, country-music blog Saving Country Music began putting the pieces together last night by pointing out a list of Atlantic artists on the label's website, Simpson among them, slated to play Coachella. Then Simpson's Facebook page made it official by uploading an image of an old-school 45 record with the artist's name printed beneath the Atlantic logo. The image also included a list of icons who've recorded for the label, including the Rolling Stones, Ray Charles (another artist who explored modern sounds in country music) and fellow country rule-breaker Willie Nelson.

Simpson will spend much of 2015 on the road, playing a handful of festivals — including Coachella, Stagecoach and Bonnaroo — and, in the final show currently listed on his website, opening up for the Avett Brothers at Red Rocks Amphitheater this summer. In the meantime, he's already begun working on a new record with Dave Cobb, who produced Metamodern Sounds in Country Music and 2013's High Top Mountain.

"Sturgill is in his prime and we're going to capitalize on that," Cobb told Rolling Stone Country last summer. "We're already doing something totally different, and it will probably make a lot of people mad. It's already crazy. We've already plotted it and started it."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sturgill-simpson-signs-major-label-deal-with-atlantic-20150116#ixzz3P2dVHq2Y
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

stevieray
01-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Heard a new Bluegrass band the other day...Steep Canyon Rangers...tal.en.ted.

Also been checking out Parker Milsap...for 21 years, dude sounds like he's an old soul.

...both are worth a listen, IMO.

Buehler445
01-16-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm trying some new music now so I'm going to do something different.
This post, I will link the current top 5 songs on the Texas/Red Dirt Chart.

Pat Green(with Lyle Lovett)
Girls from Texas Current #1

Josh Abbott Band
Hangin' Around Current #2

Aaron Watson
That Look Current #3 I'd never heard him before.

Kyle Watson
Turn that Crown Upside Down Current #4

Wade Bowen
When I woke up Today Current #5

I'm not going to lie, I fear some D-bags are inching their way into my music.....I don't like the "Mainstream" sound I'm starting to hear.

It's been happening for awhile. I think there will still be guys that are about the music and guys that put out shit that makes money.

Pat Green has put out a lot of hits for a long time. If you think he's stuck to his music for awhile, he'll probably still put out the same music.

I'm not the biggest Josh Abbot fan out there. I don't hate him though either. I either really can't stand any specific song, or I love it. This one falls into the category that I don't like. Even before anybody knew him, he had a little more mainstream sound, although his best stuff is when the focus of the song is the singing.

Aaron Watson has been around awhile. I haven't listened to much of his stuff though. That song sounded pretty authentic.

Kyle Watson, I do not know. But that song is pretty shitty.

Wade Bowen has been around a long time. He's put out some really good stuff. He's put out some really good stuff, some shitty stuff too, but he's a legit guy. He married Cody Canada's sister, I believe.

Easy 6
01-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Reeeally liking the Turnpike Troubadors, when I hear banjo and fiddle together its the truth... they're playing modern melodies with old fashioned instruments, thats what I'm talking about.

RainMaker
01-16-2015, 09:42 PM
Thank you Iowanian. I've never heard of any of these singers and, from the songs that I have heard, it seems that I've been missing out. I've never heard of these guys on any radio station around here and that's a downright shame.

Mil gracias!

p.s. That Sturgill Simpson is incredible!

Easy 6
01-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Holy shit, oh yeah... that Sturgil Simpson mfer is the REAL deal as well, talk about real country... these new pukes like Aldean and Chesney couldnt hold a candle to him.

That guy is the white Muddy Waters, such a powerful and authentic voice... wow.

Buehler445
01-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Cory Morrow has some pretty respectable music out there. His beat is not really very country, but I really like his stuff.

Probably my favorite song of his....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C183nzcjFMo?list=RDC183nzcjFMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another good one.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iKWqQw6h0Us" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
01-17-2015, 09:13 PM
I've have Diamonds and Gasoline album on repeat off youtube anytime I'm on the computer. Not a bad tune on there and just great sound. I love Long Hot Summer Day.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-18-2015, 12:38 PM
One of my favorite movies of all time. the music is wonderful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YZtgZ5fHOuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FXpRxzmawjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/08e9k-c91E8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RainMaker
01-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Late 80s there was a song called, "The Promise" by When in Rome. Sturgill makes the song his.

"This is where the link would have gone" - Sorry. I don't post here enough, but please take a look for it yourselves.

Thanks again guys for introducing me to some incredible singers.

Iowanian
01-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Here it is for the new guy.

The Promise
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-eWJmN8D820" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
01-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Here's another article on Sturgil Simpson with an interview.
It's always interesting to read his takes because it's apparent that he likes to write songs and play for people, but doesn't seem to like the industry....or a lot of the people he plays for.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/talking-to-critics-poll-topper-sturgill-simpson-about-his-breakthrough-year-and-his-breakthrough-album-metamodern-sounds-in-country-music/Content?oid=4888225

w years ago, Kentucky native Sturgill Simpson was working as a conductor in Utah, switching out intermodal trains in a small switching yard. He soon took a management position, and after about a year-and-a-half of long hours and high stress in a job that was ultimately making him unhappy, Simpson, urged on by his wife, moved back to Nashville — where he'd lived for a time in the mid-Aughts — and resumed his music career. Simpson's wife had the right idea. Over the past year, Simpson released his sophomore solo effort, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, which has since been nominated for an Americana Album of the Year Grammy. He's played The Tonight Show, The Late Show and Conan, won the Emerging Artist of the Year trophy at the Americana Awards and Honors Show and topped the Scene's Country Music Critics' Poll, earning the No. 1 Album, No. 1 Male Vocalist, No. 1 Songwriter and No. 2 Artist of the Year spots.

"That's funny, man," Simpson says when asked about the success of Metamodern Sounds, going on to explain that he really thought the self-released album might flop. "I thought it would be the end." Not long ago, Simpson was working the register at The Turnip Truck, a Nashville grocery store. He says he's surprised and humbled by the critical acclaim his record has received — it's compounded the surreal nature of a year in which he and his wife welcomed the birth of their first child, the true high point of his year. On Dec. 30, Simpson opened for his "all-time hero" Willie Nelson at a concert in Austin. "That was a beautiful end to a very wonderful year, to say the least."

On a recent rainy Monday morning, the Scene sat down with Simpson at Big Al's Deli, a small breakfast-and-lunch spot north of Germantown. The singer is characteristically soft-spoken and taciturn as he reflects on sudden fame and a life-changing year he never could've anticipated. "It's a good problem to have," he says. But Simpson isn't as direct when asked about releasing Metamodern's follow-up. "[You] can't plan these things," he says. But he is planning. Days after this interview, news surfaced that he'd signed a major label deal with Atlantic Records.

The critical acclaim for Metamodern Sounds has been pretty overwhelming. How do you react to that? What can you do?

I try not to think about it very much. It's hard, but I've definitely found it's best to just maintain radio silence from that shit.

Do you think there's kind of a reaction from people getting tired of the bro-country thing, of what they've been hearing for years, and going back to the more traditional style of country music?

Man, that's a thesis-worthy question. I mean, I just don't know how much I have left to offer there anymore, to be honest with you. It's a conversation that I find to be more of a distraction than anything. There's been some people from that crowd that have been very kind, who have reached out, and that's been a little surprising. I'm not sitting in meetings or anything, or going on radio tours, so I'm thankful for that as well. I'm not sure how much of that world I would function well within.

Well, you've played some dates with Zac Brown Band, right? Though I've always thought of him as more Southern rock than country.

In a way. Live, certainly. Yeah. He was the only one that was really like, "Hey man, do you wanna come play some shows?" He gave me an opportunity, and they paid us a really respectful salary, and they were all cool as hell.

Did his audience seem to pick up on you guys, like you and respond well?

Well, yeah. It was always a pretty consistent reaction throughout the 40-minute set night by night of how it would pan out. By the end we'd usually have them. At the beginning you're just cannon fodder, man.

Where was your head at when you were putting Metamodern Sounds together?

All over the place. Man, that's been the weirdest part, reading other people's [analysis of it]. I don't know. Who knows? [My head's] not there anymore; I'm ready to make the next one.

When you're writing, do you incorporate what you're reading or whatever conversations you're having on a daily basis?

Yeah, everything around you. ... Just conversations and books that I read 15 years ago, and books that I just read last year. ["Turtles All the Way Down"] is a weird one. I wrote it in the shower in a hotel room, somewhere on the road, and I came outside while we were loading gear in the van. I kind of sang it to the guys, and they all looked at me like I was crazy. Then I sang it for [producer] Dave Cobb, and he was like, "Oh, fuck yeah! Here we go."

On the road it's always just you and the same three dudes; you don't really have any guests or anything like that?

No. I've found that I'm not very much of a fan of collaboration. It gives me anxiety. I don't find it very inspiring the few times I have tried.

Does it feel a little forced?

Yeah, usually.

Just more comfortable in your own comfort zone where you can throw ideas out? That sort of thing?

Yeah. Where I can suck in the privacy of my own home.

I want to ask you about doing that When in Rome song, "The Promise." What made you think to do that?

I'd always sit around the house a lot and play old '80s tunes bluegrass-style, just kind of fleshing out the melody. I wanted to cut it like that and play it for Dave. I guess when I played it, I played it slow like that just to show him the chord structure, and he was like, "yeah," and so we just went out and banged it out in, I don't know, the second or third take. We were moving really quick when we were doing that record, so there wasn't time for a lot of second-guessing.

Is that Dave's way of doing stuff?

No, we just didn't have the money. We were using my band, and he just did it for free, basically. It was a decision we made before we started, you know, to just make decisions and move on.

Do you think you work better that way?

For whatever reason it worked better in that moment, with that man and those songs. I don't know, it might not work the next time, but you try different things. [My debut album High Top Mountain was] the same way. That was basically cut live, but in two separate weeks of sessions. It was like four or five songs, and then six songs the next week. That was all pretty much live. ... I just like minimal-sounding records anyway, so I don't think I'd ever spend eight months working on an album or something, trying to find the perfect mood for it.

I want to ask you about Conan, when people seemed to react to you saying "goddamn," and you responded on Facebook.

Yeah, sure. It's frustrating. It's surprising, but unfortunately I made the mistake and I broke an [unwritten] rule. I guess [when I posted a Facebook response to people taking issue with "goddamn"] what I was trying to say was, "This isn't really a big deal." But if it is, then I've just gotta express that somewhere else. I've realized now that things become clickbait. We sit down, we do a lot of these, we talk for an hour and then one question, one-half of one sentence turns into the headline. There's a lot of things I expected, and some I didn't. It's been fun and amusing at times.

Did you delete your Twitter account? Was it too overwhelming?

I wasn't very good at it. I wasn't really using it. Shit gave me anxiety more often than not. I'd go to tweet something and just think, "Well, who the fuck cares? What am I doing here? Why am I not writing a song or changing a diaper right now?" I did meet some friends on there that I wouldn't have met otherwise, though. It's invaluable as a news feed, but I've even found a lot of that I shouldn't have within my conscience.

So how much progress have you made on this new record?

We're still in the writing process. It's going to be fun.

You said your head is not in the same place for this one as the last one?

Yeah. I'm ready to have some new songs to sing; let's just put it that way. ... You know, you always just want to keep moving forward with anything, I think. If nothing else, for my own sanity. That's the hardest part for me. The mechanical side of this business, or industry, or whatever you want to call it, it moves a lot slower than the creative process. Hell, there's still 200 towns we haven't played in the U.S. that haven't heard these songs that we could still go tour. You know, how do you know when one cycle ends and the next one begins? It doesn't matter.

It seems like one thing people connect to with your stuff—

People who love this record may hate the next one. You never know! Flavor of the month! ... We just had fun [making the record], man. We went in and had fun for four days. It's weird, 'cause I get associated with a lot of things, and there's this one line on the record in particular that's been analyzed more than anything I think, and even when I wrote it, some of the stuff, you know, is about things I saw or felt 10 years ago. So it's been really interesting. I'm just grateful.

You've played the Ryman; does it feel different than other venues?

It's inspiring. ... You never get comfortable, but I'm glad we had the experience to get [the Americana Awards and Honors, a Prairie Home Companion performance and an Opry performance] under our belt before the [Jason] Isbell show. You know, just walking out there and being faced with the reality of the gallery.

Were you ever a rock-show kind of guy?

Oh yeah, man. Absolutely. I still and have always listened to everything. I saw a lot of Tool shows in Seattle back in the late '90s. I think my favorite show I ever saw was Queens of the Stone Age at Bogart's up in Cincinnati in 2003 maybe, right when the Rated R record came out. I remember buying their first one when I lived in Seattle, just because of the cover, thinking, "I don't even give a shit what's on this — this is awesome." My girlfriend at the time, she was like [with Valley Girl accent], "This band sucks." She was from the Valley. And I was like, "Whatever man, these guys are going to be huge." ... I go to clubs [now], and if I see anything bigger than a Princeton Reverb I know I'm not going to be around very long. Maybe it's a decibel thing; I probably have tinnitus. ...

Back when you worked on the rail yard — talk about a job with high stakes.

It was another one of those situations like, "How did somebody put me in the seat of making decisions about this?" It was a good life, I just wasn't happy. And [my wife] kind of pushed me to give this a shot, and I'm glad I did. We'll see. When it's all said and done, man, I may be back out on the rail yard. There's a lot of aspects of this that, even at 36, 37 years old, I'm not sure that maybe a lot of it's for me, to be honest with you. But I enjoy it. I'm just very grateful that I get to make records and play for people.

What elements of it aren't for you?

I'm still figuring a lot of that out. Being away from family is tough. But [otherwise] it'd be sitting on the couch, wishing you had a gig. It's providing for my family. The adulation from some of the people who get an idea about you — at the end of the day, it's about the songs, but sometimes it starts to feel like it's about you. It's really off target. That can get weird.

People have an idea of you?

A misrepresentation of who or what they think you are just because you wrote this character or something.

Like the line in "Turtles All the Way Down" about LSD and everything. People might think you're just tripping every day?

Just sitting home, dropping acid every day. Yeah, totally. It's like, "Well, no." I never even did DMT, man. That was from just reading the books. [Rick] Strassman and those guys did studies, and a buddy of mine told me about it. It's funny. People just assume. I'm definitely the "acid-country" guy. The handshakes that last a little too long and people trying to send you to prison for 20 years at the shows. It's like, "Let me get the fuck out of here." To me, the whole thing is about love, and trying to find something — whatever it may be — that makes everybody want to wake up in the day and be a better human being. And ["Turtles"] is kind of a representation for that. It's funny what people get hung up on. Like people with the backwards looping — "Oh, that ruined the whole thing for me." It's like, "Well, there's nine other songs on the record. Take your pick. Or don't."

Iowanian
01-26-2015, 02:50 PM
For those looking for something to do, a band I enjoy will be in KC Thursday, Jan 29th at PBR Big Sky.

The John D Hale Band. http://johndhaleband.com/

I've seen them 2-3 times and have talked with them enough to pick up a couple of tidbits. John's family raise exotic animals...zebras and things like that. I think I've seen they're from Jackson, Mo. They've always got a healthy dose of banjo.

My favorite song they do is a Lyle Lovett remake "LA County".

My advised playlist is
1. LA County
2. Heartbreaker
3. Love Pulled the Trigger
4 Muddy River
5. Harold Wilson

You can listen to some of them here.
http://www.reverbnation.com/johndhaleband/songs

Iowanian
01-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Fyi. Thursday man 29 is a good music day in KC. Jason Eady and Aaron Watson are playing at knuckleheads.

Iowanian
01-28-2015, 04:31 PM
If I could get away from work and responsibilities I would drive to KC tomorrow and offer to take a noob or two to one of the shows mentioned above, but I cannot this time.

If anyone goes to see John D Hale at PBR Big Sky or Jason Eady at Knuckleheads tomorrow night....please post and tell me what you think.

Iowanian
02-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Witchita area fans.

Turnpike Troubadours....Randy Rodgers.....Wade Bowen

Feb 20th, Hartman Arena, Park City, Ks

This would be a heck of a show if you're in the area and need something to do. I've seen TT and Wade Bowen live, both do great, Randy Rodgers is very popular also.

Buehler445
02-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Man, that would be a great show.

Easy 6
02-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Sturgil is the real deal, Promise was great.

lewdog
02-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Witchita area fans.

Turnpike Troubadours....Randy Rodgers.....Wade Bowen

Feb 20th, Hartman Arena, Park City, Ks

This would be a heck of a show if you're in the area and need something to do. I've seen TT and Wade Bowen live, both do great, Randy Rodgers is very popular also.

That would be one hell of a show.

Iowanian
02-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Not sure if it will be this year, but you can bet your ass I'm going to Medicine Stone soon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B7qCc5Eh3us" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless
02-10-2015, 04:50 PM
i can dig it until the gay ass fiddle starts

i dont like fiddles all that much

much more of a fan of sturgil

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HMB3sfvrFKc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless
02-10-2015, 04:55 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vSiR6YuHorI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless
02-10-2015, 04:58 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NnMEBVGcYEI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless
02-10-2015, 05:00 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9X_nl1v9x8Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless
02-10-2015, 05:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kFh4DebJAfs#t=61

lewdog
02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
i can dig it until the gay ass fiddle starts

i dont like fiddles all that much

much more of a fan of sturgil

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HMB3sfvrFKc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who the fuck likes this kind of music but hates fiddles???? Holy fuck that's embarrassing. Might want to just stick with Kanye then.

Iowanian
02-12-2015, 02:59 PM
FYI, Sturgil Simpson will be on Late Night again tonight(2.12.15)

Iowanian
04-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Friends,
This is Cody Jinks, Cody Jinks, this is Chiefsplanet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Is1xfDjZrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7MIJo98xtMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
04-30-2015, 10:50 AM
There are a couple of ladies in the genre' that I like. You'll see them often teamed up or duets with the fellows in Red Dirt. Give them a listen when you're feeling mellow.

Courtney Patton is a great song writer.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yT31Lzluawc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/6QPdZBx_0Nk

Jamie Lin Wilson is another I find talented.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SaGdRvhvyY8?list=RDSaGdRvhvyY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raiderhater
04-30-2015, 12:19 PM
If only I had seen thread when it was posted.... I'll put up some of my favorites that I haven't been shared yet. Starting with what I consider to be the epitome of Texas Country -

K43qXR7mp70

Wb3ngTyHIT0

Hu298PGB3xc

fUxouBtqKlE

Raiderhater
04-30-2015, 12:21 PM
There will be more later on. Right now i need to get back to work.

oMjWV2lqlqQ

P37xPiRz1sg

GeHJ0AyGaOQ

https://youtu.be/w-kN2Cym0oE

Buehler445
05-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm a Shane Smith and the Saints fan.

They came through Garden last year, but I didn't make it down to see them, but by all accounts they put on a good show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-A5-jJ5wBik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
05-08-2015, 08:53 AM
If only I had seen thread when it was posted.... I'll put up some of my favorites that I haven't been shared yet. Starting with what I consider to be the epitome of Texas Country -

...Jason Boland...

...Aaron Watson...

...Cory Morrow...

...Cory Morrow...

Love all these guys. I've posted a lot from these guys.

Buehler445
05-08-2015, 08:58 AM
There are a couple of ladies in the genre' that I like. You'll see them often teamed up or duets with the fellows in Red Dirt. Give them a listen when you're feeling mellow.

Courtney Patton is a great song writer.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yT31Lzluawc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/6QPdZBx_0Nk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SaGdRvhvyY8?list=RDSaGdRvhvyY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As far as female performers go, Kylie Rae Harris is one of the better ones out there IMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TqgkzbNcxpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
05-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Ryan Bingham has some decent tracks out there if you like his sound. I can see how some wouldn't, but I like it. I can't put it on repeat like some other artists, but he has some good stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jHnSj9Ls6pU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZMYCyr3Rs8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tuk3qhf7T1c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
05-08-2015, 09:53 AM

FWIW, Jamie Lin Wilson is the duet partner on Turnpike Troubadours "Call a Spade a Spade"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SJioNaB1zOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
07-07-2015, 05:49 PM
http://youtu.be/nP3a4k_StgA

Not the best copy but this is a link to the first listen to the new song by Turnpike Troubadours. "Down here"

Buehler445
09-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Turnpike Troubadours new album is available on Spotify. It is unbelievably good. Dudes are great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hFBDxLYNNVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
09-30-2015, 03:53 PM
I can only assume you have all heard the new Turnpike Album?
It's debut at #3 on the big boy charts.

https://youtu.be/nebDECpbcso

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nebDECpbcso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
11-23-2015, 08:44 PM
I realize this isn't Red Dirt music but Eric Church's new album Mr. Misunderstood is very legit. It's much different than his other stuff. Very blues/country feel to it. More stripped down. I can't stop listening to the entire album.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rOuF3k_-asA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kwvz9-RNuNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
04-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Not sure if this is the red dirt scene, but it's definitely not Nashville.

Pretty good tune here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pYdvxBxHX2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OmahaChief
04-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Cannot believe there is no Cross Canadian Ragweed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pkFtl50kqYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/djepv_iWzNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nR6pkU-_MK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
04-19-2016, 02:38 PM
I don't know if it falls into this thread or not, but the S.O.B. song entertains me by Nathanial Rateliff and the Night Sweats.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1iAYhQsQhSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
04-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Cannot believe there is no Cross Canadian Ragweed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pkFtl50kqYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/djepv_iWzNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nR6pkU-_MK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was a pretty big ragweed fan for a long time, but they broke up years ago.

Cody Canada did some solo stuff and now is with Cody Canada and The Departed.

Strongside
04-19-2016, 03:05 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zVz58DaQSnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stevieray
04-19-2016, 03:32 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P-0LvY5tHPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

enough of that sad shit...

Iowanian
04-19-2016, 05:06 PM
I am sorry to report that after having listened to the new stirgil Simpson album...I don't get it. I don't like it at all and it pains me to say that.

stevieray
04-19-2016, 05:14 PM
I am sorry to report that after having listened to the new stirgil Simpson album...I don't get it. I don't like it at all and it pains me to say that.

bummer...go buy The Very Last Day by Parker Millsap.

Strongside
04-20-2016, 12:17 PM

That is surprising. I absolutely love it and have had it on repeat for the last week. Any country singer that can reference getting high and playing Golden Eye on N64 in a song has won in my book.

Lzen
04-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Any of you guys into Shooter Jennings, Waylon's son? I'm not much into this red dirt style of music but some of it is okay. We're going to see him this weekend with some friends in Joplin (I think).

Buehler445
04-21-2016, 10:51 AM
I've been hitting the Whiskey Meyers pretty hard lately

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wtfHs-LREj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6hxX8dfMD_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tmo8s3PD-kc?list=RDDzRv4l9xL1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TaDXd_5PR-s?list=RDDzRv4l9xL1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qD07R2Q9Ykc?list=RDDzRv4l9xL1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
04-21-2016, 10:58 AM
I've also been digging Shane Smith and The Saints a good little bit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gjak2LnYlrA?list=PLsyPabGdClHMhQ2_lecAwi6Jr8Yw1f9g1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mHM2cVHeM4w?list=PLsyPabGdClHMhQ2_lecAwi6Jr8Yw1f9g1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one is my favorite. I could listen to it on repeat all day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NfbCu_YVewk?list=PLsyPabGdClHMhQ2_lecAwi6Jr8Yw1f9g1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lzen
04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
I've been hitting the Whiskey Meyers pretty hard lately

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wtfHs-LREj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6hxX8dfMD_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tmo8s3PD-kc?list=RDDzRv4l9xL1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TaDXd_5PR-s?list=RDDzRv4l9xL1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qD07R2Q9Ykc?list=RDDzRv4l9xL1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is one that I actually have noticed and I really like. They sound a lot like Skynard.

Buehler445
12-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Not really red dirt. In fact, not red dirt at all, but I don't know where else to put it.

This is Rhiannon Giddens. She does bluegrass, jazz, Americana, whatever. I don't really get into a lot of those genres, but her voice is really really good. And she is really really good. Look her up. She's spectacular, man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vzALY2pDbqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dug her up because she's the background vocals on this song. She can really belt it with a lot of soul.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZUnmUEOk6Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
12-15-2016, 10:10 PM
I think Iowanian has posted up some Stapleton, but I've been listening to him a lot lately.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZI-aPHeUDlk?list=RDQ4oInT79CUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
12-15-2016, 10:21 PM
I've always loved this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XqnJbF9Bypo?list=PL9QL1AvNabH5wvQ26g1WvEJGNhSre7NjO" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
12-15-2016, 10:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8ocqBCvds1w?list=RDB38pNFM9a3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
12-15-2016, 11:01 PM
He's kinda twangy, but a decent listen
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ftaej_ksZyM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
12-15-2016, 11:11 PM
These guys are a lot different than I normally dig, but they're really good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHYLINWSjfw?list=RDEMdifh-LrrhWC5kvfFULH6RA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
12-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Not really red dirt. In fact, not red dirt at all, but I don't know where else to put it.

This is Rhiannon Giddens. She does bluegrass, jazz, Americana, whatever. I don't really get into a lot of those genres, but her voice is really really good. And she is really really good. Look her up. She's spectacular, man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vzALY2pDbqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dug her up because she's the background vocals on this song. She can really belt it with a lot of soul.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZUnmUEOk6Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rhiannon Giddens is really good. Like really good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eLIEIbuh71o?list=RDEMWiBrAlSJJd_EPTut-BAh2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MBfgSrBBCKI?list=RDEMWiBrAlSJJd_EPTut-BAh2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vzALY2pDbqY?list=RDEMWiBrAlSJJd_EPTut-BAh2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dlphg9
12-18-2016, 11:05 AM
This is one that I actually have noticed and I really like. They sound a lot like Skynard.

They just came out with a new album. Only one song on it I don't care for. Love Whiskey Myers, Ive seen them live 5 times I believe.

lewdog
02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Thanks Buehler on Whiskey Myers. Been digging them.

Also, check out The White Buffalo. Good stuff to be heard there.

Easy 6
02-24-2017, 08:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AFRjt_J6Gp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Logan Mize is the real deal

Fish
02-25-2017, 12:11 AM
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z2uPKDXS8BA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
02-25-2017, 12:14 AM
Stapleton is super legit.

Fish
02-25-2017, 12:26 AM

Agreed. Great band behind him too. The music is really incredible at times. Really draws you in. He's got a great range. Reminds me a lot of Sturgill Simpson.

dlphg9
02-25-2017, 02:43 AM
Not a huge red dirt fan but I do really like Whiskey Myers, Turnpike Troubadours, Chris Stapleton, and the Randy Rogers Band.

Buehler445
02-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Thanks Buehler on Whiskey Myers. Been digging them.

Also, check out The White Buffalo. Good stuff to be heard there.

Pretty freaking good man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pOyqfQDKX7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q_jEodk8TXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5EyNj18gdjI?list=RDq_jEodk8TXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
02-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Glad you like it Buehler. His voice is pretty top notch.

I think I've shared this here before but in case someone missed it. Ryan Bingham. The first one is my favorite.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k_kSOnzUoBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BwrhhMaDCpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eoFwQnHFeYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
02-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I've posted Bingham before. Southside of Heaven is really good.

lewdog
03-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Not red dirt but saw Eric Church last night. Great show. 39 songs and 3+ hours of music. Very smooth live voice. Good stuff.

MOhillbilly
03-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Buddy of mine gave me a AJ Gaither CD, Live at the Westport Saloon. Pretty good shit.

Fish
10-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Wow...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NpDYfkymaSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sportsman1
10-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Here's some Texas/red dirt artists I love that I haven't seen mentioned on here: Flatland Cavalry, William Clark Green, American Aquarium, Sam Riggs (his first album only really), Bart Crow, Zane Williams, Curtis Grimes is decent, and of course Wade Bowen. Just my little list off the top of my head that I didn't immediately see in the thread.

Buehler445
11-18-2017, 09:05 AM
The new Turnpike Trubadours album is excellent. Per the usual.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gc44qlhC1PE" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited
11-18-2017, 09:13 AM
The Hoyle Brothers play near me a handful of times and I try to turn out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rbHjsxxJwzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reerun_KC
11-18-2017, 09:28 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gc44qlhC1PE" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Come down here. I show you red dirt.

Btw. Check out these out.

Read Southall band

Cody Johnson

Logan Mize ( Kansas boy )

Was going to mention Whiskey Myers but you got them already.

Reerun_KC
11-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Can’t get past the Travis Tritt sound of this voice.

It’s like I heard this in the 90s. It really doesn’t help my listening experience.

lewdog
11-18-2017, 10:05 AM

Love the new album.

Now if only these assholes would play in Arizona!

Iowanian
02-14-2018, 05:02 PM
https://www.hinterlandiowa.com/lineup/2018/

I'll just leave this here.

lewdog
02-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Stapleton and Turnpike Troubadours just played on Austin City Limits this Saturday.

Truly amazing sets by both. Best Austin City Limits I have ever seen.

Must watch.

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-27-2018, 07:31 PM

Gin-Smoke and Lies

Gin Smoke Lies
Southeastern Son
Blue Star
Every Girl
Kansas City Southern
Whole Damn Town
Long Hot Summer Days
Evangeline
Shreveport
Morgan Street
Wrecked.

Long Hot Summer Day
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ahmn02Urc0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Before the Devil Knows we're dead...live version. Not my favorite version.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uTYq66Tx1GY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Every Girl
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mt1eevCbhmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RelbbYG7H8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn good write up.

lewdog
07-27-2018, 08:04 PM
Doesn’t someone know these guys here?

Tell them to come tomorrow Arizona! Fuck!!!!!

SAUTO
07-27-2018, 08:14 PM
Stapleton and Turnpike Troubadours just played on Austin City Limits this Saturday.

Truly amazing sets by both. Best Austin City Limits I have ever seen.

Must watch.

I saw Stapleton live a couple weeks ago. He is damn good.

Brent Cobb was an opener and he was really good too. Worth a listen

lewdog
07-27-2018, 08:45 PM

Stapleton is so damn legit.

I'll give Cobb a try. Thanks.

doomy3
07-28-2018, 08:30 AM

Brent Cobb is awesome.

Make sure to listen to Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Whitey Morgan, Ward Davis, Colter Wall, Paul Cauthen, The Steel Woods

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-27-2018, 04:51 PM
Love this thread

Iowanian
11-05-2018, 10:35 AM
On a whim, we went to see Jason Boland at the Truman in KC saturday. Anyone else there?

If you haven't done it yet, get your behind on the Tyler Childers bus.....

Get on youtube and try the following playlist.....You're welcome.

Feathered Indians
Whitehouse Road
Peace of mind
Harland Road
Follow you to virgie (the best sad song i've ever heard)
Then you'll be ready to try Banded Clovis, hard times, Oneida and a plethora of other really good stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_lsran_Slzc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WtVrDud1gZM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
10-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Hopefully you've all taken some time to jumped on the bandwagon of my last post...Tyler Childers. He's awesome.

Get on this train early...

I've think I've found my next great thing.
Zach Bryan. The story, he's in the Military and most of the singing is in the back yard of a friend, and just released his first album with some rented equipment in a VRBO house with mattresses against the wall to dampen sound. For the turnpike fans he's got a song about Evan Felker that doesn't suck.

Give this guy a look.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fzb0yLl8G1o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wuu6iwLlOqA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just do yourself a favor and get on his youtube playlist and listen to the lyrics....

Iowanian
10-09-2019, 02:03 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FCxhajRTAjc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3SY91b2pZYM?start=33" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FdNwZlKFqNU?start=33" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
10-11-2019, 02:32 AM
That’s good shit Iowanian. Really dig it. What he lacks in polish he makes up for with genuine passion.

Good find man.

Iowanian
02-12-2020, 11:32 AM
I don't know how I missed it, but I've stumbled into an Uncle Lucius phase.

This song gets me....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pYdvxBxHX2U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you still haven't gotten on the Zach Bryan train....try it.

Iowanian
02-12-2020, 11:37 AM
https://www.hinterlandiowa.com/#panel1

Several great red dirt options at this great little music festival in Iowa.
Tyler Childers is the headliner saturday night along with several other good options.

Iowanian
02-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Chiefsplanet, this is Colter Wall, Colter Wall this is CP

**this guy is a little different, give it 2 listens before you decide*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qSYkikkitS0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4l4gdhPqh3E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hCebq5lLgos" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dunerdr
02-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Chiefsplanet, this is Colter Wall, Colter Wall this is CP

**this guy is a little different, give it 2 listens before you decide*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qSYkikkitS0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4l4gdhPqh3E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hCebq5lLgos" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ive probably listened to sleeping on the black top 30 times in the last two weeks, not sure why but i love the damn sound.

Iowanian
02-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Here are just a few to make sure you know where some good stuff is located

I had a couple of beers with this guy one night, but he rolls a little too hard for my liking late at night. He's definitely a drop an empty baggie on the foor, roll out of a mini-van full of beer cans at 6am to get back on the bus kind of guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hKLi3FfiYJo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EjFN5iVKn6w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is more bluegrass, but Billy Strings can jam the shit out the cat guts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VFEZOjtrwls?start=48" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks like Evan Felker is making a solo run now
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZR9hrjorN3o?start=48" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pablo
02-12-2020, 01:53 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oGYB4zEarco" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qgy7PLAgF-Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This guy likes to write songs about animals I guess. I love them though.

Buehler445
02-12-2020, 01:55 PM
Good work Iowanian. I really wish they could have kept turnpike together.

Ubeja Vontell
02-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Big fan of this guy, yes I know....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s2n-2sO7XfU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WtVrDud1gZM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Into that "High Lonesome" sound of those Appalachian hillbillies, the Bluegrass artists who are probably the most talented of all.

Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RfcDXUKtkZc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Refreshing to see this kind of music talked about, anything countryish seems to get pushed around. When in reality it's closer to the real deal than anything we have.

Won't do my .....back in the day...thing, but of all the talented countryish artists these two deserve far more props than they received.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aBiN-OLPnH0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ubeja Vontell
02-12-2020, 05:24 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/30m54CkyIKo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
02-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Ugh.

Felker, get your shit together and get back with the boys!

Fish
02-15-2020, 02:24 AM
Love this sad song...

<iframe width="1180" height="664" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/udNmEEfCcUM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
02-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Chiefsplanet, this is John Moreland, John Moreland this is Chiefsplanet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/euy4A5niG8Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/usWrJ8qy5lY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
02-22-2020, 01:50 AM
Dekalb huh? :D

lewdog
05-10-2020, 05:48 PM
Been listening to more Cody Jinks lately. I like his sound.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6DZGUqOtSfI?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

doomy3
05-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Been listening to more Cody Jinks lately. I like his sound.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6DZGUqOtSfI?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cody is awesome, and Somewhere in the Middle is one of my favorite songs ever written.

Pablo
05-23-2020, 06:57 PM
I enjoy Cody Jinks. This song I stumbled upon on a 'Snake Farm' radio station on Amazon. Goddamn if it isn't the best thing I've heard in a long while. It's quite the story:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nggqe-L9ZQ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser
05-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Bass, dammit, BASS!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/3b204bcbe39195aa31cd53efb5edd809/tenor.gif?itemid=10838812

lewdog
05-26-2020, 09:49 PM
I enjoy Cody Jinks. This song I stumbled upon on a 'Snake Farm' radio station on Amazon. Goddamn if it isn't the best thing I've heard in a long while. It's quite the story:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nggqe-L9ZQ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McMurty has some great songs and this is one of them. I found him about 3 years also and he's in my consistent rotation. I also love the lights of Cheyenne.

Iowanian
05-27-2020, 01:35 PM
McMurtry's dad is Larry McMurtry, Author of Lonesome Dove.

rabblerouser
05-27-2020, 01:48 PM
Still pissed that the Tyler Childers/Sturgill Simpson tour is canceled.

arrwheader
05-27-2020, 01:49 PM
Still pissed that the Tyler Childers/Sturgill Simpson tour is canceled.Yep had tickets.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

R Clark
05-27-2020, 01:54 PM
McMurtry's dad is Larry McMurtry, Author of Lonesome Dove.

I wondered about that aren’t they from Oklahoma panhandle or Texas?Also surprised no one has mentioned Tyler’s song all your’n ,pretty damn good song and the video is trippy as hell .

lewdog
05-30-2020, 08:33 AM
https://youtu.be/36Vs_JoIvjA

Iowanian
06-10-2020, 01:39 PM
Whiskey Myers has announced a music festival in Kansas City Oct 1-3.
WWW.Firewaterfest.com

Lineup to be announced tomorrow!

Red Beans
06-10-2020, 03:56 PM
McMurty has some great songs and this is one of them. I found him about 3 years also and he's in my consistent rotation. I also love the lights of Cheyenne.

Lost in the Backyard off the album Where' You Hide the Body is an excellent tune of his as well. Long Island Sound off of Complicated Game is killer too. James McMurty is one hell of a story teller.

Buehler445
06-10-2020, 08:22 PM
Whiskey Myers has announced a music festival in Kansas City Oct 1-3.
WWW.Firewaterfest.com

Lineup to be announced tomorrow!

Fire water fest

ROFL

Iowanian
06-11-2020, 09:52 AM
https://www.firewatermusicfestival.com/lineup

Whiskey Meyers, Drive By Truckers, Whitey Morgan, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Steel Woods, Shane Smith and the Saints, Chris Knight, Bones Owens, Tennessee Jet, Jaime Wyatt, Rob Leines.

I don't know all of the above but I'm a fan of some of them. It's going to be near La Cygne, Ks

lewdog
06-28-2020, 09:45 PM
Someone update me on Turnpike. Have we seen the last of them?!?!

I heard Kyle was working on his own music but I have only heard a single so far from him.

Felker, has he got his shit together yet?!?!

I miss them dearly.

Buehler445
06-28-2020, 10:25 PM
The interview with Nix is the best I could find.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktul.com/amp/news/local/one-year-after-bands-cryptic-hiatus-turnpike-troubadours-kyle-nix-releases-solo-album

Radar Chief
06-29-2020, 07:59 AM
I only recently became aware of Tyler Childers when the band I'm in decided to do a cover of this song, but the more I look into his music the more I'm digging his style.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EeDTKH9AU3U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
06-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Tyler Childers is an animal. Dig deeper. He's awesome.

My favorite song isn't even recorded, "Peace of Mind".

I haven't heard anything about Turnpike other than I saw them push some Merch online a couple of weeks ago that gave people some hope. I assume they're just dumping inventory and trying to make some money. Nix and RC are doing solo things.

otherstar
06-29-2020, 08:37 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vSiR6YuHorI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's one of the best songwriters out there right now!

lewdog
07-04-2020, 11:27 AM
The interview with Nix is the best I could find.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktul.com/amp/news/local/one-year-after-bands-cryptic-hiatus-turnpike-troubadours-kyle-nix-releases-solo-album

Nix's album dropped on June 26 I found. I gave it a listen.

Music is good and who doesn't love a great fiddle player. Lyrics are fine and similar in story telling while being more ominous than Turnpike.

However, there's a reason he wasn't the lead singer of the Troubadours.....

Pablo
08-15-2020, 08:57 PM
Tyler Childers is the present and future of country music. He's what I'm listening to mostly lately. Learned about him thru this thread and my pandora started playing some of his stuff and every single song is a classic. If he's wrote a bad one I haven't heard it yet.

Pablo
08-15-2020, 10:38 PM
Maybe this guy has been mentioned in this thread. Literally listened to a couple songs off this album for the first time ever via FB friend and I can tell it's damn good stuff. Just hits you right away.

Arlo McKinley -Die Midwestern is the album.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Afq58gZFMB8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hPTXOVXQG-E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
02-18-2021, 10:09 AM
I haven't seen any discussion on it here, but have you heard the latest Sturgill Simpson "Cutting Grass" Butcher Shoppe sessions?

He does several of his songs in a bluegrass sound, and there are some others. It's a great "garage" or "listen in the shop" playlist. Honestly I hadn't been the biggest fan of the last couple of albums, but I like this.

You're welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xYcmf9cRp7A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/od1WhONbi8E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Radar Chief
02-18-2021, 10:43 AM
Don't know if this qualifies as "red dirt" but I was told by a band mate to check out Billy Strings and I was not disappointed, didn't figure you guys would be either.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6CyQftidOw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pablo
02-18-2021, 06:50 PM
Didn't realize it kicked both posts out when I tried to delete that duplicate but here's the back of that Sturgill vinyl again, cool enough to see the whole crew he played with:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210219/253bf2c9ccebc8c1decd5062b881f855.jpg

scho63
02-18-2021, 06:58 PM
Don't know if this qualifies as "red dirt" but I was told by a band mate to check out Billy Strings and I was not disappointed, didn't figure you guys would be either.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6CyQftidOw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I listen to this, I picture a whole clan of toothless fucks in West Virginia all sitting around a fire in a 55 gallon barrel at night drinking moonshine and doing meth in the trailer park while dancing barefoot in the mud.. :LOL:

Iowanian
02-18-2021, 07:44 PM
I suggested billy strings a ways up the page....he’s amazing on the guitar.

Pablo
02-18-2021, 08:04 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0GX8hGmR00E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good tune for all this cold ass weather.

Third Eye
02-18-2021, 08:41 PM
When I listen to this, I picture a whole clan of toothless fucks in West Virginia all sitting around a fire in a 55 gallon barrel at night drinking moonshine and doing meth in the trailer park while dancing barefoot in the mud.. :LOL:

His fan base is much more Colorado stoner hippie.

Love me some Billy M.F. Strings, been seeing him for years. His performances with Marcus King are incredible.

listopencil
02-19-2021, 01:42 AM
I haven't seen any discussion on it here, but have you heard the latest Sturgill Simpson "Cutting Grass" Butcher Shoppe sessions?

He does several of his songs in a bluegrass sound, and there are some others. It's a great "garage" or "listen in the shop" playlist. Honestly I hadn't been the biggest fan of the last couple of albums, but I like this.

You're welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xYcmf9cRp7A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/od1WhONbi8E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just checked the release date of the album and the internet says October of 2020. Is that correct? I hope so, because this sounds more like the Sturgill Simpson I liked. I stopped paying attention to him when he released that horrible movie soundtrack on Netflix.

Fish
02-19-2021, 01:55 AM
I just checked the release date of the album and the internet says October of 2020. Is that correct? I hope so, because this sounds more like the Sturgill Simpson I liked. I stopped paying attention to him when he released that horrible movie soundtrack on Netflix.

Yes, Oct. 2020 is correct. It's a great album. Rides that bluegrass line more than the country line.

The Netflix Samurai album thing was a complete miss. I like to pretend that just didn't happen...

FYI... this entire Cuttin' Grass album is free on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1S6sk9yusYQoadSAbx3ZB8

Vol. 2: https://open.spotify.com/album/3N51Ixwph25awFqhoACG0U

Radar Chief
02-19-2021, 11:30 AM
When I listen to this, I picture a whole clan of toothless ****s in West Virginia all sitting around a fire in a 55 gallon barrel at night drinking moonshine and doing meth in the trailer park while dancing barefoot in the mud.. :LOL:

So you've been to Winfield then.

https://www.wvfest.com/

Radar Chief
02-19-2021, 11:33 AM
I suggested billy strings a ways up the page....he’s amazing on the guitar.

Watching him picking I wondered if he's on the spectrum, his facial expressions and mannerisms seem a bit autistic.

Third Eye
02-19-2021, 11:55 AM
Watching him picking I wondered if he's on the spectrum, his facial expressions and mannerisms seem a bit autistic.

Speaking with him in person, he doesn’t come off that way. He is definitely one of those people that eats, breathes, and shits music though. Maybe not autistic, but definitely a little different.

scho63
02-19-2021, 01:33 PM
So you've been to Winfield then.

https://www.wvfest.com/

No but I have been to some places in West Virginia for work when I lived in Northern Virginia.

Every time I crossed the state line I lost a tooth! :LOL:

They are some redneck fucks.

lewdog
02-20-2021, 07:44 PM
I miss Turnpike so much. I listened to then today. Top 5 favorite of mine.

Hoopsdoc
02-21-2021, 12:23 AM
I miss Turnpike so much. I listened to then today. Top 5 favorite of mine.

True story-about 2 weeks ago I saw the Hear Ya session video of “before the devil knows you’re dead” and I’ve been hooked ever since. Those guys are flat out amazing. I’ve been driving my wife and kids nuts with their music ever since.

I’ve yet to find a song of theirs that I don’t like.

Some of my favorites-

Down here.
The winding stair mountain blues.
Pipe bomb dream.
The hard way.
The house fire.
The bird hunters.
The funeral.
Kansas City southern.
And probably my favorite song of theirs, Long drive home.

They are just fantastic. I just discovered them and I already miss them.

Pablo
02-28-2021, 10:08 AM
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/evan-felker-emerges-performing-at-benefit-with-teague-brothers/?fbclid=IwAR3snppkCcYvNEI35M_9viYIO6CdwLcQI5VdCNy3odvP5UPbccwc6Mrz8fI

Evan Felker sighting.

Buehler445
02-28-2021, 10:30 AM
So what you're saying is there is a chance?

lewdog
02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/evan-felker-emerges-performing-at-benefit-with-teague-brothers/?fbclid=IwAR3snppkCcYvNEI35M_9viYIO6CdwLcQI5VdCNy3odvP5UPbccwc6Mrz8fI

Evan Felker sighting.

Felker solo would at least soothe my soul.

srvy
03-28-2021, 02:09 AM
Just Jason and Sadler on acoustic. Love it!

I heard this version on Yellowstone and couldn't figure where it was from but finally found.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zkNaSB6UlYA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
04-23-2021, 02:23 PM
CP, this is Logan Halstead, Logan Halstead this is CP.
He's unknown but you need to give him a listen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q2SrIJrvHZQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A2KVN8CIl6c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tylerthigpen!1!
04-23-2021, 03:18 PM
CP, this is Logan Halstead, Logan Halstead this is CP.
He's unknown but you need to give him a listen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q2SrIJrvHZQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A2KVN8CIl6c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good find! Sounds a lot like Childers.

Anybody going to Firewater in October?

Radar Chief
05-26-2021, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't call Corb Lund "red dirt", being a Canuck and all, but I thought you guys would dig this anyway.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W0yRDwoFQUU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
09-14-2021, 10:11 AM
CP, this is Morgan Wade. Morgan Wade this is CP.

You're welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IFWzPxDxGBk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She's different than my normal flair but I dig this chic. There are plenty more examples of her music on youtube right now. Catch this train early.

Iowanian
09-14-2021, 10:12 AM
CP this is Cole Chaney. Cole Chaney this is CP.

If you don't like Cole Chaney I'm not sure we can be friends.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yuayvQy6sEA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N7m3hYdh2Zs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hailchief
09-14-2021, 10:31 AM
Have a listen to Roger Creager (Having Fun All Wrong live version)
Kevin Fowler - beer bait and ammo
Jon Wolfe - When the good ole boys age out

Good Stuff.

Iowanian
11-29-2021, 03:16 PM
There is smoke.

https://turnpiketroubadours.com/

Coming soon....I'm also told there is a cryptic photo and message on instagram or something as well.

I sure hope there is about to be some music fire.

Also...if you're watching yellowstone, their entire soundtrack seems to be people linked in this thread. Last night was Colter Wall and Zach Bryan.

Tylerthigpen!1!
11-29-2021, 04:21 PM
There is smoke.

Coming soon....I'm also told there is a cryptic photo and message on instagram or something as well.

Also...if you're watching yellowstone, their entire soundtrack seems to be people linked in this thread. Last night was Colter Wall and Zach Bryan.

A bit more than smoke...

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/the-turnpike-troubadours-are-back-together/

ChiefsOne
11-29-2021, 04:25 PM
I prefer Red Dirt Metal

ThyKingdomCome15
11-29-2021, 04:48 PM
Jason Boland Live at Billy Bob's.

MarkDavis'Haircut
11-29-2021, 04:51 PM
Jason Boland Live at Billy Bob's.

Boland is fire.

His new album comes out soon.

MarkDavis'Haircut
11-29-2021, 04:53 PM
Nix's album dropped on June 26 I found. I gave it a listen.

Music is good and who doesn't love a great fiddle player. Lyrics are fine and similar in story telling while being more ominous than Turnpike.

However, there's a reason he wasn't the lead singer of the Troubadours.....

It was a decent album.

Blue Eyes was great. So was Graves.

But yeah, there was a reason he didn't front TT. His voice lacks the "it" factor.

MarkDavis'Haircut
11-29-2021, 04:55 PM
Jason Boland and the Stragglers are first up. http://www.thestragglers.com/index.php?pg=music You can listen to most of his music in the link.

Boland has been a staple and pioneer in Red Dirt/Texas Music and has a pretty extensive list of songs. He touches on subjects of alcohol, drugs, social injustice among others.
Jason Boland had a vocal chord issue a couple of years ago that about killed his career, but the guy still has pipes.

The base player is from Kansas City, always sports Royals and Chiefs caps and is a damn nice guy to talk to. Grant has a youtube cooking show.

First up, my favorite song on the new album. The Dark and Dirty Mile
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2s_JiVSouO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some of my favorites:
Dark and Dirty Mile
Lucky I guess
Cormall County Blues
Bottle by my bed
Gear and Dust
Devil Pays in Gold
Noone left to blame
False Accusers Lament

Gear and Dust...Live with Cody Canada accoustic
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8EJJe4vwpjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a youtube playlist with a pretty good overview of Boland's stuff
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mEzNmqLHHEQ?list=RDHCeLuaAn5XVSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boland might be #2 for me behind TT.

Sucks that The Bourbon Legend album isn't on Spotify. It has gems on it.

His music is just country with clever lyrics. In a just world, he is a Nashville legend.

MarkDavis'Haircut
11-29-2021, 05:15 PM
I'm a pretty big Reckless Kelly fan. They play a lot of different types of songs also. I pretty much don't skip one if they come on. One of the best IMO.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B38pNFM9a3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other songs I like:
Bulletproof
How was California?
God Forsaken Town
Seven Nights in Eire (Not sure that one falls under Red Dirt, but it's a great song)
Nobody's Girl

But like I said, they're all pretty damn good.

There is an Irish country music singer who does a killer cover of Seven Nights in Eire.

Hoopsdoc
11-29-2021, 05:18 PM
There is smoke.

Lots of smoke nothing officially official yet. I had heard a rumor that the band was getting back together with a new front man, but I didn’t want to believe it. TT wouldn’t be TT without Evan.

Then the picture that they posted included Evan, so who knows.

Like I said, I’ll wait for an official announcement.

Buehler445
11-29-2021, 05:43 PM
Boland might be #2 for me behind TT.

Sucks that The Bourbon Legend album isn't on Spotify. It has gems on it.

His music is just country with clever lyrics. In a just world, he is a Nashville legend.

Boland pours it on man. That’s why I dig it. You can fucking feel the emotion in his voice. Proud Souls is a song you feel more than hear. There aren’t a ton of dudes out there that convey that level of internal pain through music. He’s really fucking good.

Unlike the paint by numbers motherfuckers that come out of Nashville like Luke Bryant et al.

MarkDavis'Haircut
11-29-2021, 05:59 PM
Boland pours it on man. That’s why I dig it. You can ****ing feel the emotion in his voice. Proud Souls is a song you feel more than hear. There aren’t a ton of dudes out there that convey that level of internal pain through music. He’s really ****ing good.

Unlike the paint by numbers mother****ers that come out of Nashville like Luke Bryant et al.

Down Here on Earth has been on repeat for months. Just a great song.

You really feel the tiredness in Hard Times Are Relative and the longing in Telephone Romeo.

Buehler445
11-29-2021, 06:01 PM
There is smoke.

It doesn’t hurt that Yellowstone cast Ryan Bingham who’s a pretty decent Red Dirt artist in his own right.

Asshole character but great singer.

MarkDavis'Haircut
11-30-2021, 07:49 PM
Reckless Kelly is pretty solid.

MarkDavis'Haircut
12-03-2021, 03:05 PM
New Jason Boland album is out.

Pretty decent. It is a concept album about alien abduction. The last song is fire.

Pablo
02-19-2022, 01:23 PM
LMAO

I don't know WTF this guy's doing with these videos but I love it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0hh974VZjNs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jETUXRf4x1M" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
12-20-2022, 09:15 PM
I know its not red dirt as the dude is a Canuk but kinda dig his music. Folkie country with a tinge of bluegrass. Anyway really just wanted to bump it as I kinda miss the good old Red Dirt posts and this
thread is growing moss on the northern side.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rTYswrilSAA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KbtPBQYKXgw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/km5oqzCKRXo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dc3Ynxgk0oE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pablo
08-11-2023, 09:25 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sqSA-SY5Hro" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Figured this song would resonate with some folks here. This thread has been dead as shit for 8 months! Shameful!

Dunerdr
08-11-2023, 09:36 AM
Headed to Zach Bryan tonight in Tulsa. Not huge on him but he’s become a local phenomenon.

Pablo
08-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Headed to Zach Bryan tonight in Tulsa. Not huge on him but he’s become a local phenomenon.

That boy is a national phenom now. Enjoy the show, I would guess he puts on a good one.

Dunerdr
08-11-2023, 10:53 AM
That boy is a national phenom now. Enjoy the show, I would guess he puts on a good one.

Surprisingly my wife was in on him before me. I like him but wouldn’t say I love him.

Iowanian
08-11-2023, 06:11 PM
Well I’m slow to the draw. Credit to Pablo.

srvy
08-12-2023, 01:47 AM
That guy sounds a lot like Tyler Childers. Good song though.

Pablo
08-12-2023, 11:11 AM
How was the show dunerdr?

Rausch
08-12-2023, 11:29 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sqSA-SY5Hro" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Figured this song would resonate with some folks here. This thread has been dead as shit for 8 months! Shameful!

This really isn't my flavor of music but I did enjoy it. I could get drunk to that.

Since I'm not young and angry anymore my ears have been more open to things I wouldn't have listened to in the past. I listened to the Sturgill Simpson interviews on Rogan a while back and his story about when he had a break in really convinced me to give country musicians another listen. I know he's light years away from this thread but the point is I'm open to at least give it a chance now.

excessive
02-19-2024, 12:02 PM
I was reading an email from Knuckleheads and saw that Kyle Nix, fiddler for the Turnpike Troubadours, was performing this Wednesday at Knuckleheads in support of his new solo album, Lightening on the Mountain. Tickets are only 15 dollars.

Here are some links to info and tickets:

https://tickets.knuckleheadskc.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=1287

https://tickets.knuckleheadskc.com/orderticketsarea.asp?p=2206&a=1&src=eventperformances