PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Cardale Jones press conference today

Mr. Laz
01-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Cardale Jones to make NFL draft announcement at 3 p.m.

Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones appears headed toward the NFL draft after just three college starts.

Jones has confirmed on Twitter that he will make a “life changing decision at 3 p.m.“

Although Jones hasn’t said what he will be announcing, players rarely schedule press conferences to announce that they’re staying in school. And on the rare occasions when players do make such announcements, the press conference usually takes place in conjunction with the school’s athletics department. But according to multiple reports, Jones’s announcement will be at the Ginn Academy, where Jones attended high school.

So it now appears nearly certain that Jones will turn pro, after one of the most unusual college careers in the history of the sport: Jones only started three games, and in those three games he led his team to victory in the Big Ten Championship Game and then to the national championship with two wins in the first-ever college football playoff.

Is Jones ready to start in the NFL? Not yet. But he has all the tools that NFL teams look for in a quarterback, and less experienced quarterbacks than Jones have been drafted before, including Matt Cassel and Jay Schroeder. Jones is making a decision few expected as recently as a few days ago, but he’s probably making the right decision.

Brock
01-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Wow.

CaliforniaChief
01-15-2015, 12:11 PM
They just gave him the Matt Cassel kiss of death.

Not a really accurate comparison, though. Jones actually won big games in college. Yeah, only 3. But still.

Jimmya
01-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Interesting!

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Strike while the iron is hot.

He's 22, and he has a kid. Even if he has the opportunity to be on a practice squad, he should do it.

ModSocks
To my understanding, the two QB's slated to start ahead of him are returning?

Maybe he assumes he won't see the field again and should strike while the iron is hot?

FringeNC
He must have been told he projects as a 1st round pick.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-15-2015, 12:14 PM
He's never lost a game !

CaliforniaChief
01-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Honestly, I think he should do it. He had a tweet about how school is a waste of his time and he doesn't see why he should go to class, and like others said, the iron is hot.

Not only that, but also the fact that there's so little tape/information out there on him that it could actually play to his advantage. He's the mystery guy with unquestionable talent and 3 championships in 3 starts. It can only go downhill from here, if he even gets to see the field in Columbus.

Red Dawg
01-15-2015, 12:19 PM
What a dumbass. Ignorant non-educated dumbass. 3 starts? He will never be anything but a nobody in the NFL and broke.

kcjayhawks5
01-15-2015, 12:22 PM
His stock is probably the highest it will ever be. Somebody will take him in the 1st.

DaKCMan AP
01-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Shocking...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7NLZ-HIIAAjxP5.jpg

Beef Supreme
01-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Even if he gets signed for the rookie league minimum, he'll be making $420,000 more than he did last year. Maybe he is an ignorant dumbass, but he can be an ignorant dumbass making $420,000 a year. For a dumbass, that's a pretty smart move.

Pablo
What a dumbass. Ignorant non-educated dumbass. 3 starts? He will never be anything but a nobody in the NFL and broke.

I'd go back to school says the guy never presented with a chance to get drafted to play pro football.

FringeNC
His stock is probably the highest it will ever be. Somebody will take him in the 1st.

Some agent probably told him he'd be taken in the 1st, but will he? Al Davis is dead.

Tribal Warfare
01-15-2015, 12:28 PM

Friends and family must've convinced him he's a top 5 picx. Thus, trying to get paid ASAP.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Some agent probably told him he'd be taken in the 1st, but will he? Al Davis is dead.
You're assuming that with another year, he will be a first round pick.

It's a good move by cardale. There is a lot of risk with him having a down year, and especially losing the starting job or being forced to transfer to a school where he'd have to learn a new system.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Shocking...

THIS IS BRAND NEW INFOMATION! :)

How about that Urban Meyer?! :D

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Friends and family must've convinced him he's a top 5 picx. Thus, trying to get paid ASAP.

Probably. I don't blame him.

Titty Meat
01-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Chiefs should draft him

RockChalk
01-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Mark Davis isn't much different from his dad. He is already trying to figure out how many picks he'll have to give up to get the #1 overall to draft this kid.

In58men
01-15-2015, 12:32 PM
THIS IS BRAND NEW INFOMATION! :)

How about that Urban Meyer?! :D

That's not his Twitter account to begin with.

FringeNC
You're assuming that with another year, he will be a first round pick.

It's a good move by cardale. There is a lot of risk with him having a down year, and especially losing the starting job or being forced to transfer to a school where he'd have to learn a new system.

WTF? How did I assume that?

O.city
Chiefs should draft him

3rd round?

BigMeatballDave
I'd go back to school says the guy never presented with a chance to get drafted to play pro football.

Exactly. :)

Reerun_KC
01-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Murace clarett v 2.0

Chiefnj2

Not a chance.

TLO
Shocking...

He was born to be an Oakland Raider.

FringeNC
01-15-2015, 12:36 PM
That's not his Twitter account to begin with.

Are you ever correct about anything?

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Murace clarett v 2.0

LMAO Okay

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 12:37 PM
WTF? How did I assume that?
Let me rephrase... That wasn't meant only for you. I'm saying a lot of people think cardale is declaring because an agent convinced him he could go in a certain round. I'm saying it's probably less about that and more about realizing there is a lot of risk to him playing another season and losing draft stock.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Urban Meyer QBs

No thanks

Titty Meat
01-15-2015, 12:40 PM
3rd round?

Yup

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Cardale is an interesting project qb. I don't think he will have the right work ethic and I don't think he's very bright. He does seem like a pretty nice kid, though. Of the 3 qbs at Osu, I think barrett is the only guy with potential. And I think when barrett is done, he's going to be a strong prospect.

KCCHIEFS27
01-15-2015, 12:42 PM
That is definitely not his twitter account

Chiefnj2
01-15-2015, 12:43 PM
He's in an impossible situation. I believe his three options are (1) return to Ohio and possibly be the backup, (2) transfer and have to redshirt, or (3) declare.

Has there ever been a QB drafted with less than 5 starts in the first 4 rounds of the draft?

FringeNC
01-15-2015, 12:45 PM
That is definitely not his twitter account

It was only reported ad nauseam by ESPN prior the playoff games. Jones deleted it, and apologized for it, but it was his account.

In58men
01-15-2015, 12:53 PM
It was only reported ad nauseam by ESPN prior the playoff games. Jones deleted it, and apologized for it, but it was his account.

He actually made a new account, that's where I was wrong. Apologies

Otter
01-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Black Tim Tebow!

How is this news again?

Otter
01-15-2015, 01:01 PM
He's in an impossible situation. I believe his three options are (1) return to Ohio and possibly be the backup, (2) transfer and have to redshirt, or (3) declare.

Has there ever been a QB drafted with less than 5 starts in the first 4 rounds of the draft?

He's unable to win the starting QB position at OSU but it's big news he's entering the NFL draft? Yeah, I don't get it except for lack of gay linemen to talk about.

Dartgod
01-15-2015, 01:08 PM
"We ain't come to play school..."

Nice.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 01:10 PM
He's unable to win the starting QB position at OSU but it's big news he's entering the NFL draft? Yeah, I don't get it except for lack of gay linemen to talk about.
Against two Heisman candidates. Cardale is actually intriguing because he has an insane skill set.

Otter
01-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Maybe Mike Sam and Jones could make a threesome sex tape with that little white guy he was kissing during the draft and call it Sam Jones marshmallow sandwich. You listening ESPN?

Otter
01-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Against two Heisman candidates. Cardale is actually intriguing because he has an insane skill set.

Then why isn't he starting at OSU?

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 01:20 PM
He still might. But he's competing against two potential Heisman candidates. And he's a lot more raw than those guys. jt barrett in particular has a chance to be something really special.

Jim Lahey
01-15-2015, 01:28 PM
I think he'd be a great backup behind a guy like Russell Wilson.

Otter
01-15-2015, 01:29 PM
He still might. But he's competing against two potential Heisman candidates. And he's a lot more raw than those guys. jt barrett in particular has a chance to be something really special.

Sounds like a promising reason to drop out of college. Hope he picks up a lottery ticket on the way to the presser.

Just not seeing the hype let alone the logic.

Jimmya
01-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Bring him in for a look!

El Jefe
01-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Todd and Kiper both said he would be a 2nd to early 3rd rounder. I would only take him if I was able to let him sit and learn for a couple years. I think it is his best decision right now. He would not be the starter next year. Braxton Miller is back and JT Barrett is back. He may be able to transplant Miller if Miller's shoulder doesn't recover, but Barrett broke his ankle, he will be ready to roll. Cardale just had a young child, and he should take the money and run, he doesn't owe Ohio State anything else, and Urban hinted at that.

BWillie
01-15-2015, 01:35 PM

He's a dumbass for going to the NFL when his draft stock will never be higher? Like other's have said, he's 22 years old. Somebody will take a flier on him, and he can learn as he goes AND be paid. This notion that you can't get better in the NFL is ludacris.

He might not even ever be able to play again with Braxton Miller & TJ Barrett. What happens if he plays 0 snaps next year? Which is actually pretty likely. Then his draft stock goes way way down. It's a great decision IMO

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a promising reason to drop out of college. Hope he picks up a lottery ticket on the way to the presser.

I'm not saying there's hype. I think he can be an intriguing later round pick. But he will and should he picked up as a project. As someone mentioned before, I can't blame him for doing it given his options and don't think skipping his senior year should be viewed as a negative.

El Jefe
01-15-2015, 01:43 PM

Because OSU had two QB's who both were legitimate Heisman Candidates before they got injured.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 01:43 PM

He'll be 23 this year, and he has a kid. What is so difficult to understand?

Pablo
01-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Play it safe and go back to school! That's what I would do! /old dudes that never had someone tell them they might get a NFL contract if they left school.

Is it really that difficult to see the dilemma here? He was a third string QB; he may have to battle it out to become the starter next year. He may win the job and expose himself to be nothing special and lose out on draft slotting and a ton of money.

He could go back to school and lead OSU back to another 'Ship and get his degree. Maybe he will. But to act like he's some sort of mental midget to consider bolting for the league when his stock is the highest it's ever been is moronic.

Otter
01-15-2015, 01:53 PM
He'll be 23 this year, and he has a kid. What is so difficult to understand?

Wow! So you're saying dropping out of college to be a late round draft pick is the smart move at this point in life? No chance of that going wrong. I mean it's pretty much a sure bet. His kid ages in dog years I hope.

Chiefnj2
01-15-2015, 01:56 PM
IMHO, he is just a media hype player. Everybody knows his name because of the college playoffs so the Kiper's and McShays will talk about him.

But, at the end of the day with only 3 starts there is no way he goes early in the draft. His stock will slide. That said, he has no choice but to declare. Without those two injuries he never gets drafted. Might as well go for it and make some money. After all, he didn't go to no school to play school.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Wow! So you're saying dropping out of college to be a late round draft pick is the smart move at this point in life? No chance of that going wrong. I mean it's pretty much a sure bet. His kid ages in dog years I hope.Go back to school and battle and lose the starting QB spot. Better yet, maybe get injured and fade into nothingness and cost yourself a multi-year contract and potentially millions of dollars to get that degree!

El Jefe
01-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Wow! So you're saying dropping out of college to be a late round draft pick is the smart move at this point in life? No chance of that going wrong. I mean it's pretty much a sure bet. His kid ages in dog years I hope.

You are an idiot, or you are just to lazy to research anything. Ohio State will honor their scholarship as they did with both Greg Oden and Maurice Clarett and the countless other athletes who left early to return. JB Shugarts finally played his last NFL snap and he is back at OSU. So yeah, leaving to potentially make a couple million even if he sucks over the course of the next 5years, leaving the NFL at 28 and being able to do whatever he wants would be worth it. Shoot even if he only is in the league 3 years he will make a million or so.

WhawhaWhat
01-15-2015, 02:01 PM
He can't go back to Ohio State and if he transfers then he has to wait a year to play for free again. Going pro is the only choice he has.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
IMHO, he is just a media hype player. Everybody knows his name because of the college playoffs so the Kiper's and McShays will talk about him.

But, at the end of the day with only 3 starts there is no way he goes early in the draft. His stock will slide. That said, he has no choice but to declare. Without those two injuries he never gets drafted. Might as well go for it and make some money. After all, he didn't go to no school to play school.

Yeah, he may just be all hype. But perception is reality. If he shows well at the combine and puts up great numbers, which I expect he will, he's going to get pushed up on somebody's board. Plenty of turd college QB's play four or five year and don't play three games that even come close to the run he put together. And they still get taken in the second, third and fourth rounds.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:05 PM
You are an idiot, or you are just to lazy to research anything. Ohio State will honor their scholarship as they did with both Greg Oden and Maurice Clarett and the countless other athletes who left early to return. JB Shugarts finally played his last NFL snap and he is back at OSU. So yeah, leaving to potentially make a couple million even if he sucks over the course of the next 5years, leaving the NFL at 28 and being able to do whatever he wants would be worth it. Shoot even if he only is in the league 3 years he will make a million or so.If somebody was offering me $1 million to go work in my desired field a year early there's no way I'd consider that offer!/otter

El Jefe
01-15-2015, 02:07 PM
If somebody was offering me $1 million to go work in my desired field a year early there's no way I'd consider that offer!/otter

QFT....It cracks me up, the stupidity in this thread is comical.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Cardale could go to the league for a year, flame out spectacularly, come back and pay cash for the rest of his undergrad and master's program if he so desired and still be 25 years old.

Otter
01-15-2015, 02:09 PM
You are an idiot, or you are just to lazy to research anything. Ohio State will honor their scholarship as they did with both Greg Oden and Maurice Clarett and the countless other athletes who left early to return. JB Shugarts finally played his last NFL snap and he is back at OSU. So yeah, leaving to potentially make a couple million even if he sucks over the course of the next 5years, leaving the NFL at 28 and being able to do whatever he wants would be worth it. Shoot even if he only is in the league 3 years he will make a million or so.

It's "you're and idiot" and hey good luck to him.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Even if he only makes it on a practice squad, he's still gonna make at least $6000 a week.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:10 PM
QFT....It cracks me up, the stupidity in this thread is comical.
It's just dumbasses that think student athletes shouldn't be allowed to pursue their chosen career at whatever point in their life they want.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Does anybody here think Jones couldn't be a Tyler Bray on some NFL team?

I bet Bray misses Tennessee though, he could have completely that phys. ed degree and been a football coach in his hometown by now.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2015, 02:16 PM
probably was told he would be a 2nd day pick(2nd/3rd round)

it's that or be a backup for another year or two and then trying the draft after riding the bench

penbrook
01-15-2015, 02:22 PM
probably was told he would be a 2nd day pick(2nd/3rd round)

it's that or be a backup for another year or two and then trying the draft after riding the bench

He's our QBOTF for the Chiefs.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:24 PM
He's our QBOTF for the Chiefs.We did go after turds like Croyle and Stanzi in the third and fifth rounds, respectively.

Wasn't Murray a third round turd as well?

Maybe we'll go DGB in the first and Jones in the second.

LMAO

So, so many heads would explode around this place that it would absolutely be worth it. We know Dorsey doesn't really value those first two rounds anyhow.

Iowanian
01-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Someone should have told that dumbass that you go to play football in exchange for a free education at the university level. Someone should compare the numbers and salaries of college graduates versus the percentages of college athletes that actually make it at the professional level.

Nothing like tweeting for every potential future employer in the League to see that you, as a 3rd string player find the classroom work unnecessary. I mean, NFL quarterbacks aren't required to spend any time studying to be good and poor study habits have never sunk a career....

Red Dawg
01-15-2015, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=Pablo;11270515]I'd go back to school says the guy never presented with a chance to get drafted to play pro football.[/QUOTE

Your right, I have no right to talk but last time I checked this was America and I can have my opinion.

No player that was third string and only got to play in 3 games by default will ever ever ever be any good. Especially not one that tweeted out the ignorant sentence he did.

3 games? Seriously, 3 games!

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:33 PM
The university got a Championship run out of Cardale. He's paid back whatever they sunk into him ten fold.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Someone should have told that dumbass that you go to play football in exchange for a free education at the university level. Someone should compare the numbers and salaries of college graduates versus the percentages of college athletes that actually make it at the professional level.

Nothing like tweeting for every potential future employer in the League to see that you, as a 3rd string player find the classroom work unnecessary. I mean, NFL quarterbacks aren't required to spend any time studying to be good and poor study habits have never sunk a career....

How about the chance of any college player actually playing in the NFL?

Financially, he's doing the right thing. Money this year.

penbrook
01-15-2015, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=Pablo;11270515]I'd go back to school says the guy never presented with a chance to get drafted to play pro football.[/QUOTE

Your right, I have no right to talk but last time I checked this was America and I can have my opinion.

No player that was third string and only got to play in 3 games by default will ever ever ever be any good. Especially not one that tweeted out the ignorant sentence he did.

3 games? Seriously, 3 games!

He beat #12 Wisconsin, #2 Oregon, and #1 Alabama. This guy will be really good in the pros mark my words

The Franchise
01-15-2015, 02:35 PM
It's a good idea if he agrees to sit for a couple of years.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:35 PM
That tweet was from a few years back. Plenty of dumbass kids say and do things early in their college career and come back to be viable draft prospects/pro players.

And yes, three games. He just put out one of the best three game auditions you'll see at the college level. Some team will possibly see a guy that can come in and be a winner even if that is off the bench. Add in huge size and arm and I'm not surprised agents are whispering in his ear.

You really pulled out the Randy Marsh, 'thought this was America' line.

LMAO

I missed that the first time because you didn't quote it correctly.

Titty Meat
01-15-2015, 02:36 PM
That tweet was from a few years back. Plenty of dumbass kids say and do things early in their college career and come back to be viable draft prospects/pro players.

And yes, three games. He just put out one of the best three game auditions you'll see at the college level. Some team will possibly see a guy that can come in and be a winner even if that is off the bench. Add in huge size and arm and I'm not surprised agents are whispering in his ear.

Not the black ones/ CP

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 02:37 PM
No one here thinks he's going 1.1, or even 1st round at all.

The point is, he's 22 and his stock will never be higher than it is now.

He played college football to make it to the NFL. If he has the opportunity, he should take it.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Also, if a college education is so damn important to Cardale he can always go back and wrap up that last year. Flame out of the league before 30, have a nice cash reserve, finish your general studies degree, live life.

Flame out after a year, come back with a bankroll and pay for all of his master's program.

LMAO

Since, you know, he's a student-athlete and all.

KC native
01-15-2015, 02:41 PM
He beat #12 Wisconsin, #2 Oregon, and #1 Alabama. This guy will be really good in the pros mark my words

No, their running game beat those teams. Cardale was along for the ride.

KC native
01-15-2015, 02:42 PM
But he's also stupid if he doesn't try to go pro now.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:42 PM
No, their running game beat those teams. Cardale was along for the ride.Even if that is the case, which I don't think is entirely fair, this is his time to cash in on it.

WhawhaWhat
01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Someone should have told that dumbass that you go to play football in exchange for a free education at the university level.

High level D1 college football players are there because they have no other choice, not because of the education. If they could enter the draft earlier, the free education at their university wouldn't deter most guys.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
But he's also stupid if he doesn't try to go pro now.What???

He could finish out his sociology degree and ride the bench next year. Never get drafted and start out in a clinic making $38k/year after he's all done!

Why would he try to sell when his stock is the highest it may ever be? I don't get it.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 02:44 PM
No, their running game beat those teams. Cardale was along for the ride.

That's right. He didn't make any good throws or runs. #butthurt

KC native
01-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Even if that is the case, which I don't think is entirely fair, this is his time to cash in on it.

I agree. He's dumb if he doesn't try to get drafted right now.

Iowanian
01-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Cool. Don't bitch about a lack of opportunity for the rest of your life when you flame out.(not you, the hypothetical 19 year old athlete)

High level D1 college football players are there because they have no other choice, not because of the education. If they could enter the draft earlier, the free education at their university wouldn't deter most guys.

KC native
01-15-2015, 02:47 PM
That's right. He didn't make any good throws or runs. #butthurt

Why do you try to talk about football? You are terrible at it.

keg in kc
01-15-2015, 02:48 PM
He's an even bigger longshot than Sanchez was. Would not touch anywhere the first two days, and probably not later. Let somebody else spend the time and money on him.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Why do you try to talk about football? You are terrible at it.

LMAO Yeah, I suppose I could just come here and cry about TCU getting screwed.

The Franchise
01-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Looks like he's heading to the draft.

KC native
01-15-2015, 03:07 PM
LMAO Yeah, I suppose I could just come here and cry about TCU getting screwed.

You are incredibly stupid.

Red Dawg
01-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Cardale could go to the league for a year, flame out spectacularly, come back and pay cash for the rest of his undergrad and master's program if he so desired and still be 25 years old.

This idiot will be broke. What part of what he is doing suggest he even care about school. He is not even the best QB on their roster.

threebag
01-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Opportunity knocks you open the door.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 03:14 PM
This idiot will be broke. What part of what he is doing suggest he even care about school. He is not even the best QB on their roster.If he doesn't care about school why should he stay another year?

You aren't making any sense. You want to call a guy an idiot for cashing in at his most marketable time? Sounds like he has enough common sense to know when he should get out.

Chief Pote
http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/video/breaking.html

Link to the live conference

Skyy God
http://deadspin.com/with-the-decision-ahead-of-us-from-cardale-jones-i-hop-1679766560

Red Dawg
01-15-2015, 03:15 PM

Hell no and it won't happen for him either. His but won't make a roster.

Chief Pote
He showed up in a t-shirt

TimBone
This idiot will be broke. What part of what he is doing suggest he even care about school. He is not even the best QB on their roster.
Because it may be his only shot. He's taking advantage of the moment. Not that hard to understand. The school will still be there in a couple of years. Any hype about him going into the draft may not ever be there again.

01-15-2015, 03:16 PM
This press conference is ridiculous. Lol at the kid texting.

DaneMcCloud
01-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Hell no and it won't happen for him either. His but won't make a roster.

If Matt Cassel can be drafted by the NE Patriots without ever starting at QB for USC, Jones will be drafted and make a roster.

01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Cool story, bro

BigMeatballDave
Wow

JT Barrett transfer papers

Red Dawg
01-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Good decision. Stay in school is the best decision he could have made.

Chief Pote
Staying at Ohio State

Pablo
Look at that!

What a swell guy! I expect everyone that was calling the kid an idiot for entertaining the thought of heading to the league and cashing in will surely be praising his determination to get that degree now.

BigMeatballDave
I wonder if Meyer told him he had a good chance to start.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 03:19 PM
I wonder if Meyer told him he had a good chance to start.I'd have to think that was discussed.

Pablo
01-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Maybe he just wants to win another Championship.

ILChief
01-15-2015, 03:21 PM
JD Barrett transfer papers

Maybe. Can't imagine jones coming back without being told he is the starter. That being said, Barrett is actually a better player

penbrook
#CardaleJones: "Being a 1st round draft pick means nothing to me without my education."

Mr. Laz
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that the people around him told him to have this stupid ass news conference.

Chief Pote
I wonder if Meyer told him he had a good chance to start.

The position is his to lose.

chefsos
The kid's not dumb. Impressed.

Not because of the decision, because of the way he's handling himself right now.

He's the starter.

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Smart decision. He seems to have matured a great deal since sending out that dumb tweet.

Maybe. Can't imagine jones coming back without being told he is the starter. That being said, Barrett is actually a better player

Well he may only have to wait a year if Cardale builds on his momentum

Pablo
The kid's not dumb. Impressed.

Not because of the decision, because of the way he's handling himself right now.No, I've read he's obviously an idiot because of a tweet from two years ago and for entertaining the thought of cashing in while his stock was up.

TimBone
01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Man. I like that the kid thinks his education is important, but I sure hope for his sake that Meyer promised him at least a fair shot at starting next year.

keg in kc
01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Right move.

penbrook
01-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Man. I like that the kid thinks his education is important, but I sure hope for his sake that Meyer promised him at least a fair shot at starting next year.

He's either gonna start or transfer.

Shox
01-15-2015, 03:25 PM
He will become a very interesting piece of the 2015 draft.

Perfect fit for the Chiefs, if they can land him in the 3rd. I don't think I would want to risk a 1st or 2nd on a guy with 3 starts, even if they were are huge games. Let him learn for a year (maybe 2) behind Alex.

penbrook
01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Cardale Jones says after football he wants to be a financial planner.

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
He will become a very interesting piece of the 2015 draft.

Perfect fit for the Chiefs, if they can land him in the 3rd. I don't think I would want to risk a 1st or 2nd on a guy with 3 starts, even if they were are huge games.

You're late. He just announced he's going back to school.

penbrook
01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
"My education is going to take me 10 times further than my athletic ability." - Cardale Jones

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Cardale Jones says after football he wants to be a financial planner.

Would you take Jones or Alex Smith as your financial planner?

chefsos
01-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Would you take Jones or Alex Smith as your financial planner?lmao

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long.

BigRedChief
01-15-2015, 03:31 PM
"My education is going to take me 10 times further than my athletic ability." - Cardale JonesSince when does he believe this?

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Pretty impressive.

I don't think he's the starter, by the way. I think it's barretts to lose. I really think he's doing this for the education. I underestimated the guy. He is may be giving up hundreds of thousands to get an education.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Remember, that tweet was from 2012.

El Jefe
01-15-2015, 03:38 PM

Yeah, it will be open competition. Miller wont even be throwing during spring ball, and JT wont be back until the end of Spring ball. I LOVE that he is coming back, he will be a heckuva player.

Jerok
01-15-2015, 03:39 PM
He should have taken his 3 game hot streak to the bank with the NFL. Now he has to prove himself for a whole year.

Lol @ that tweet and this decision.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2015, 03:46 PM
He should have taken his 3 game hot streak to the bank with the NFL. Now he has to prove himself for a whole year.

It is crazy to believe this, but I honestly think he is staying there to get his degree. I can't think of a reason he would stick around otherwise. I think it's a surprisingly mature decision.

penbrook
01-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Damn Cardale said he would be the first one in his family to graduate college

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 03:54 PM

Again, that tweet is more than 2 years old.

notorious
01-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Dude is staying in school?

What a dumbass.

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Dude is staying in school?

What a dumbass.

You're right. Most underclassmen projected to go in the third round or later are idiots for going back to school. :rolleyes:

notorious
01-15-2015, 04:27 PM
You're right. Most underclassmen projected to go in the third round or later are idiots for going back to school. :rolleyes:

How much money would he make by going to the NFL for 3 years?

A fuck load more than if he got a degree in basket weaving. Besides, school will be there after his career.

Big mistake. 3 games is enough to get everyone excited but not show his flaws.

ghak99
01-15-2015, 04:33 PM
I didn't watch it, but what in the fuck is the point of having a press conference if you're staying in school?

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 04:33 PM

A **** load more than if he got a degree in basket weaving. Besides, school will be there after his career.

He's confident in his ability to go back to Ohio State, start all of next season, get his degree, and enhance his draft stock to first round status. He's gambling on himself and setting himself up for a great life inside and outside of football. I admire people who bet on themselves and I think it was a smart decision.

LoneWolf
01-15-2015, 04:35 PM
I didn't watch it, but what in the **** is the point of having a press conference if you're staying in school?

It actually didn't look like it was his idea. He seemed a little uncomfortable with making the announcement at a press conference.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 04:35 PM
I didn't watch it, but what in the fuck is the point of having a press conference if you're staying in school?

Yep. He could have just had the University notify local media.

wazu
01-15-2015, 04:41 PM

A fuck load more than if he got a degree in basket weaving. Besides, school will be there after his career.

And what if he doesn't get on a roster? Tyler Wilson from a couple of years ago comes to mind as a guy who had better pro prospects and never made a roster, even though he was drafted.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Smart move. Guys with that few of starts tend to be disasters in the pros.

RNR
01-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Smart move.

Agreed~

RNR
01-15-2015, 04:49 PM
He's confident in his ability to go back to Ohio State, start all of next season, get his degree, and enhance his draft stock to first round status. He's gambling on himself and setting himself up for a great life inside and outside of football. I admire people who bet on themselves and I think it was a smart decision.

a whole bunch of this~

notorious
01-15-2015, 04:57 PM
I guess we will see where he is in a few years.

Iowanian
01-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Getting the degree is the best backup plan an athlete can obtain.

Finishing school while on scholarship is pretty valuable from a financial standpoint, and if he went to the league and washed out, he's paying his own way to go back.

Good decision.

Brock
01-15-2015, 05:06 PM

It might be a mistake. Then again, maybe he's a number one pick in a couple of years.

notorious
01-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Is the kid smart?

What degree is he getting?

I think this is a horrible decision, but I guess it's better to get a degree and make 50k a year (maybe) than make an NFL roster (which he will) and make that amount almost every month.

Edit: Rookie Salary is 420k.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Notorious the extra starts should help improve his future value in the pros. He would already be light years behind Winston and Mariota this year.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 05:30 PM
It might be a mistake. Then again, maybe he's a number one pick in a couple of years.

I don't think I'd spend a First round pick on a 25 yr old.

KChiefs1
01-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Will this guy even get drafted?

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Will this guy even get drafted?

I guess we'll probably find out next year.

BigRedChief
01-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Big mistake. 3 games is enough to get everyone excited but not show his flaws.Reminds me of him. Missed the mark.
http://cdn.emgn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Hilarious-Fail-Gifs-13.gif