PDA

View Full Version : Football Manning no longer The Man

DenverChief
01-19-2015, 12:30 AM
Interesting take by the DP about Manning and Kubiak

Manning no longer The Man

In the season's first eight games, Peyton Manning threw 24 touchdown passes and five interceptions. He finished with 39 scores and 15 picks. Advancing age, a reshuffled offensive line, a reconfigured rushing attack and a strained right quadriceps compromised the league's reigning MVP.

The issues manifested themselves in the playoffs against the Colts, who took away slant routes and pick plays. Indianapolis also tackled well, preventing yards after contact on short passes and dared Manning to throw long. He went 6-for-19 on passes of more than 10 yards.

"The Colts' game plan against him was fantastic," said former NFL linebacker Chad Brown, who is a regular on local radio and TV shows. "They forced him to throw outside the numbers."

After the poor showing, Manning remained noncommittal about returning, wanting to take time off to make his decision. He turns 39 on March 24.

Can he fit in the zone-blocking, run-friendly, bootleg offense that Kubiak prefers? Or would Kubiak adjust to Manning's strengths?

The Broncos ran the ball well over the final six games, and in hindsight should have run it more against the Colts to help Manning. C.J. Anderson had 80 yards on 18 carries in the playoff game, but rushed just six times in the second half for 14 yards.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27342894/ugly-loss-patriots-showed-where-broncos-were-headed

DenverChief
01-19-2015, 12:32 AM
Also the last paragraph sounds eerily familiar

Hammock Parties
01-19-2015, 12:33 AM
I bet he has enough gas in the tank to sweep the Chiefs one more time.

Gadzooks
01-19-2015, 12:34 AM
Elway - Davis
Manning - Anderson

It wasn't meant to be if Elway had a hand in it..

DenverChief
01-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Another good clip.

Lack of young hired help

Part of the charm of the NFL is free agency. Part of the harm is that signing high-priced players to big contracts forces teams to sacrifice depth at other positions.

Denver's offensive line needed help at right tackle this season. The team lost faith in Chris Clark and Paul Cornick, and ended up moving Louis Vasquez, an all-pro guard, to tackle. The draft picks, aside from cornerback Bradley Roby, made no impact.

Offensive tackle Michael Schofield, a third-round pick, didn't play well in the preseason and was inactive for 17 games. Wide receiver Cody Latimer wowed in training camp, but the second-round pick finished with only two catches at a time when Wes Welker's shrinking role should have created more playing time.

Lamin Barrow, a fifth-rounder who was expected to compete for the middle linebacker job, had one tackle. When injuries sidelined linebackers Danny Trevathan and Brandon Marshall, Denver turned to rookie Todd Davis, snared from the Saints' practice squad in November, to plug the gap.

A top-heavy roster with 10 Pro Bowl players produces wins, but a balanced roster is necessary to provide depth — and playmaking ability on special teams, which the Broncos also lacked.

TribalElder
01-19-2015, 12:53 AM

LMAO

We were such a layup

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2015, 03:34 AM

Well, he didn't do much to beat the Chiefs these last 2 games. Chiefs lost those because of, well, you know why...

Mile High Mania
01-19-2015, 05:40 AM
And, I'm fine either way ... lets just get to the point that I know which QB I'm cheering for in 2015.

tooge
01-19-2015, 07:11 AM
After watching Beady and Luck in the playoffs, manning should just hang em up. He's not close to those two

WhawhaWhat
01-19-2015, 07:14 AM

or pretty much for as long as he wants.

bevischief
01-19-2015, 10:19 AM
After watching Beady and Luck in the playoffs, manning should just hang em up. He's not close to those two

Who is beady?....

Simply Red
01-19-2015, 10:26 AM
The Chiefs are literally a better team than the Bronco's now. I think we can all agree here.

WhawhaWhat
01-19-2015, 10:28 AM
The Chiefs are literally a better team than the Bronco's now. I think we can all agree here.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xQDjOVmYhRGms/giphy.gif

Discuss Thrower
01-19-2015, 10:42 AM

2-8 against Denver in five seasons.

suzzer99
01-19-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm surprised we won two games.

Simply Red
01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
2-8 against Denver in five seasons.

No - this just happened - we are finally better than them - it was clear the Indy game.

Bowser
01-19-2015, 11:45 AM

Nice. You seem it.

Dave Lane
01-19-2015, 11:49 AM
And, I'm fine either way ... lets just get to the point that I know which QB I'm cheering for in 2015.

I hope they bring back Tebow, just for you LMAO

DenverChief
01-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I hope they bring back Tebow, just for you LMAO

To backup osweiler? Sure. Maybe Orton will unretire for them. Cutler going to be available? What is Brian Griese doing these days? LMAO

Mile High Mania
01-19-2015, 04:41 PM
To backup osweiler? Sure. Maybe Orton will unretire for them. Cutler going to be available? What is Brian Griese doing these days? LMAO

I'll worry about the QB situation later...

Rain Man
01-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Even if he's a shadow of his Colts self, I would still be happier if Manning retired. Playoffs aside, he's better than 90% of QBs in the league, especially if the injury excuse was real this year.

Mile High Mania
01-19-2015, 08:49 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/blog/the-cost-to-keep-or-lose-peyton-manning-going-forward/

If the Broncos cut Manning or if he retires, it's $5M in dead money next year and that's it - not too shabby.

Bambi
01-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Once a Champion always a Champion.

http://www.cartercountycompass.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/danny-manning.jpg

Simply Red
01-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Chiefs easily taking West next season. I don't see any arguing. You just can't argue that now and be honest with yourself.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Osweiler is dog shit

Simply Red
01-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Alex Smith is ready. His spleen will be healed so LOOK OUT!

rtmike
01-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Elway - Davis
Manning - Anderson

It wasn't meant to be if Elway had a hand in it..

Remember back when it was just Elway & R. Smith. The Broncos were always a RB away from finishing the job.
Until TD exploded on the scene. Everyone, including me figured that was all they needed & it ended up being that way. Stack the box, fine, our passing game will gash you. We know how that ended.

As soon as CJ started tearing it up I immediately thought back to Elway - Davis and figured CJ would carry 5 head to at least Foxborough.

So it took 2 full seasons to finally dial up a defense to force throws outside the numbers...wow.
I have just enough knowledge about the minute aspect of pro football, enough to made a butt out of myself. But why did it take so long to dial up a game plan. I realize he was hurt, but he's been hurt for more than a few games.

Will the Colts D plan only work if 5head has a bum leg?

Simply Red
01-19-2015, 11:59 PM
The Chiefs very well may be the best team in the league next year.

Discuss Thrower
01-20-2015, 12:12 AM
The Chiefs very well may be the best team in the league next year.

http://reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/chang_spits_milk.gif

Mile High Mania
01-20-2015, 05:50 AM
Remember back when it was just Elway & R. Smith. The Broncos were always a RB away from finishing the job.

So, when was it just Elway and Rod Smith looking for that lone RB? I think you need to go back and review your history a touch... you're forgetting some key details.

Halfcan
01-20-2015, 10:00 AM
I loved seeing the Donks choke again. Manning is hurting his legacy-pretty obvious he is only playing for stats and money at this point. Probably one of the worst Post season QB's ever.

That being said-Chiefs are saddled with Alex for another year. So I am guessing 6-10 with another sweep to the Donks. Alex chokes in EVERY big game he has played for us-I don't see it changing next year.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Peyton Ning!

Simply Red
01-20-2015, 10:03 AM
I loved seeing the Donks choke again. Manning is hurting his legacy-pretty obvious he is only playing for stats and money at this point. Probably one of the worst Post season QB's ever.

That being said-Chiefs are saddled with Alex for another year. So I am guessing 6-10 with another sweep to the Donks. Alex chokes in EVERY big game he has played for us-I don't see it changing next year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J0mJZB2v-og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

petegz28
01-20-2015, 10:07 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J0mJZB2v-og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this has to be fake. Clay has assured us all that Smith is incapable of throwing a ball past 4 yards.

Simply Red
01-20-2015, 10:09 AM
this has to be fake. Clay has assured us all that Smith is incapable of throwing a ball past 4 yards.

Simply Red
01-20-2015, 10:10 AM
We will probably be the Super Bowl favorites after the closing of this season, going in to next.

I think we very well may get 15 wins next year.

Bowser
01-20-2015, 10:12 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XbadbxN8HeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside
01-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Alex who?

Alex Fucking Smith that's WHO!

Simply Red
01-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Alex who?

Alex ****ing Smith that's WHO!

http://i.imgur.com/9ph0JJh.gif

MahiMike
01-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Kubiak is in a no win position here. If Manning stays, I don't think they even make the playoffs next year.

Halfcan
01-20-2015, 10:28 AM
We will probably be the Super Bowl favorites after the closing of this season, going in to next.

I think we very well may get 15 wins in the next 3 years.

:thumb: You may be right!

Simply Red
01-20-2015, 10:32 AM
:thumb: You may be right!

no srsly.

Hootie
01-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Kubiak is in a no win position here. If Manning stays, I don't think they even make the playoffs next year.

LMAO

Well, can't wait to cash in on this future bet.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady win their divisions no matter what. It's like clockwork.

Manning will find a way to win 12 games. Seems like he's generally fine for at least half of a season these days.

Simply Red
01-20-2015, 10:38 AM
LMAO

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady win their divisions no matter what. It's like clockwork.

Manning will find a way to win 12 games. Seems like he's generally fine for at least half of a season these days.

Serious question - has Manning confirmed his return, have you seen? Heck I still question that he'll be back.

Hootie
01-20-2015, 10:41 AM
I think he should hang them up ... people are already starting to think this is the real Peyton Manning

he can't throw the ball well anymore ... father time hit him ... nothing to be ashamed of

but his Chad Pennington arm isn't how he should be remembered ... back in his Colts prime he had an amazing arm, amazing accuracy ... dude was just the perfect QB

Halfcan
01-20-2015, 11:28 AM
I think he should hang them up ... people are already starting to think this is the real Peyton Manning

he can't throw the ball well anymore ... father time hit him ... nothing to be ashamed of

but his Chad Pennington arm isn't how he should be remembered ... back in his Colts prime he had an amazing arm, amazing accuracy ... dude was just the perfect QB

Until the typical Post Season Choke. :thumb:

Dude-order a Papa John's pizza and rub one out to Manning's highlights-whatever it takes so you stop posting this shit-lol

This is a fucking Chiefs board-not a Colts or donks board-Fuck Manning!!

MahiMike
01-20-2015, 11:35 AM
LMAO

Running backs fall off a cliff at the age of 30. QB's at 38. Manning is done.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-20-2015, 12:06 PM

He's too close to too many records. He'll play 1 more year. I'm totally calling him Peyton Ning from now on though because of this thread.

Rausch
01-20-2015, 12:20 PM

I think we very well may get 15 wins next year.

:spock:

morphius
01-20-2015, 12:26 PM
He's too close to too many records. He'll play 1 more year. I'm totally calling him Peyton Ning from now on though because of this thread.

Hard to blame him for coming back to break all the records. If you can't have the super bowl wins you might as well have the numbers...

Mr. Flopnuts
01-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Hard to blame him for coming back to break all the records. If you can't have the super bowl wins you might as well have the numbers...

Yep. And it'll be good for our team and this fanbase to get monkey off our backs. I believe we will too.

Jimmya
01-20-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm praying we see the Chiefs that stomped a hole in New England & Seattle most of the year next year!

Hootie
01-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Yep. And it'll be good for our team and this fanbase to get monkey off our backs. I believe we will too.

It depends. If he looks like he did the last two months? Maybe.

If he reverts back to 2013 or early 2014 form? It'll be an uphill climb.

I do think, pending a few good free agents and a decent draft class, we can compete with them for the division ... which is something I did not believe coming into this year.

I just think it's foolish to assume a Peyton Manning team is suddenly going to be a 6 win team. People like to draw conclusions based off of small sample sizes.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
It depends. If he looks like he did the last two months? Maybe.

If he reverts back to 2013 or early 2014 form? It'll be an uphill climb.

I do think, pending a few good free agents and a decent draft class, we can compete with them for the division ... which is something I did not believe coming into this year.

I just think it's foolish to assume a Peyton Manning team is suddenly going to be a 6 win team. People like to draw conclusions based off of small sample sizes.

They found ways to win despite how he looked. Nothing is set in stone, but I think we'll improve enough to beat them. We'll see.