PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Paprika

In58men
01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
That shit doesn't have flavor, it's a goddamn garnish.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2015, 12:18 PM
You're buying shitty paprika.

KCUnited
01-28-2015, 12:20 PM
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/KCUnited1/4109qkrFFL_zps490fa8dc.jpg

Easy 6
01-28-2015, 12:21 PM

Yup.

That stuff is great in many, many things... I wont make fried chicken without paprika in the breading.

alpha_omega
01-28-2015, 12:32 PM
It looks great on top of my baked potato.

Fish
01-28-2015, 12:33 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/2ps3t00.jpg

Jim Lahey
01-28-2015, 12:43 PM
tl;dr

Paprika is Alex Smiths checkdown in the kitchen.

BucEyedPea
01-28-2015, 12:53 PM

Yup!

I have been experimenting with different ones currently—even in Mexican sauces. I say it makes a difference.

NewChief
01-28-2015, 12:53 PM
I really love smoked paprika.

BucEyedPea
01-28-2015, 12:54 PM

You got to buy bulk from Frontier. They have several kinds and all are more pungent than crap bought in a jar or tin at the supermarket.

Trust me.

AustinChief
01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
I really love smoked paprika.

Yep. Listen to this man!

KCUnited
01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
A good spice guy at your local farmers market should have a minimum of 3 different types of paprika.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/KCUnited1/126a053d-60c4-4f50-8b29-5c7eda704f39_zps1a0bc726.jpg

Mav
01-28-2015, 01:00 PM
tl;dr

Paprika is Alex Smiths checkdown in the kitchen.
Fuck that. Paprika is a boss.

cosmo20002
01-28-2015, 01:06 PM

You're thinking of parsley.

BucEyedPea
01-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Read the whole page on paprika.

Most of the paprika sold in grocery stores is simply labeled "paprika." Its origins may be Hungarian, Californian, or South American, and it is sometimes mixed with other chiles like cayenne. This paprika tends to be neither sweet nor hot and is a suitable garnish for things like deviled eggs or wherever you want some color.

Paprika is considered the national spice of Hungary and it appears in the country's most celebrated dish, goulash. Hungarian paprika is made from peppers that are harvested and then sorted, toasted, and blended to create different varieties. All Hungarian paprikas have some degree of rich, sweet red pepper flavor, but they range in pungency and heat.

• Spanish paprika or pimentón

Although generally less intense that Hungarian paprika, Spanish paprika can range from dulce (sweet and mild) to agridulce (bittersweet and medium hot) to picante (hot), depending on the type of peppers used (round or long), whether the seeds are removed, and how they are processed. In Spain's La Vera region, farmers harvest and dry the chiles over wood fires, creating smoked paprika or pimentón de La Vera. Smoked paprika should be used in paella and dishes where you want a deep, woodsy flavor.

If you have a recipe that calls for paprika without specifying which kind, you can usually get by with using Hungarian sweet paprika. But also consider what type of color, sweetness, pungency, or heat you'd like to add and experiment with the wide world of paprika varieties!

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-hot-sweet-68134

TimBone
01-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Inmen wrong again.

In58men
01-28-2015, 01:11 PM
I buy cheap shit from Food Maxx. I need to branch out more

In58men
01-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Inmen wrong again.

Certain paprikas don't have flavor so go fuck yourself

BucEyedPea
01-28-2015, 01:12 PM
You're thinking of parsley.

It's an excellent cleanser juiced raw.

BucEyedPea
01-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Quick Guide to Every Herb & Spice in the Cupboard:

http://www.thekitchn.com/quick-guide-to-every-herb-and-spice-in-the-cupboard-108770

http://p-fst2.pixstatic.com/54134ddfdbfa3f4337003bde/_w.540_s.fit_/shutterstock_157505048.jpg

BucEyedPea
01-28-2015, 01:14 PM
I buy cheap shit from Food Maxx. I need to branch out more

Can't go wrong being like a tree.

Jim Lahey
01-28-2015, 01:22 PM
**** that. Paprika is a boss.

No. No. NO.

seclark
01-28-2015, 01:28 PM
does it taste good with kechup?
sec

Hammock Parties
01-28-2015, 01:36 PM
So here's the deal, I have some dirt on you... posts you don't remember, that can get you lengthy ban if I brought them to mods attention. I will keep them to myself as long as you stick up for me in threads and talk about how I am a good user, talk shit to anyone who is trolling me. I will send you links to specific threads I need your support in. Deal?

Pepe Silvia
01-28-2015, 01:48 PM
The only time in my life that I've eaten Paprika is on deviled eggs and I haven't had a deviled egg in 20 years.

thabear04
01-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Goes great on my devil eggs.

TimBone
01-28-2015, 01:49 PM
The only time in my life that I've eaten Paprika is on deviled eggs and I haven't had a deviled egg in 20 years.
I call BS. If youve eaten at a restaurant, youve eaten paprika.

KC native
01-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Certain paprikas don't have flavor so go fuck yourself

Yea, but that doesn't change the fact that you were still wrong and a runner-up to NOTY to Sorter.

Pepe Silvia
01-28-2015, 02:03 PM
I call BS. If youve eaten at a restaurant, youve eaten paprika.

Well maybe its been in there unknowingly but I never got up and said "I think I want some Paprika, time to raid the cabinets."

In58men
01-28-2015, 02:05 PM
So here's the deal, I have some dirt on you... posts you don't remember, that can get you lengthy ban if I brought them to mods attention. I will keep them to myself as long as you stick up for me in threads and talk about how I am a good user, talk shit to anyone who is trolling me. I will send you links to specific threads I need your support in. Deal?

Deal bro.

I'm ready to fuck shit up

BucEyedPea
01-28-2015, 02:07 PM
does it taste good with kechup?
sec

It does with Ranch dressing.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2015, 02:17 PM
we used smoked paprika last night for panko breaded chicken parmesean.

ptlyon
01-28-2015, 02:20 PM
Well maybe its been in there unknowingly but I never got up and said "I think I want some Paprika, time to raid the cabinets."

You don't drink enough

Pepe Silvia
01-28-2015, 02:25 PM
You don't drink enough

I don't considering I almost died in 2 fatal car wrecks.

Mav
01-28-2015, 02:27 PM
No. No. NO.
Si!

Just Passin' By
01-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Someone covered restaurants, but paprika is also in things like Old Bay seasoning, Lawry's seasoned salt, Mrs. Dash and a whole bunch of other seasoning blends and prepared foods, so you've probably had it a lot more often than you think.

Coochie liquor
01-28-2015, 03:00 PM
My daughter goes to school with a black girl named Paprika.

Not really.....

Easy 6
01-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Inmen wrong again.

Certain paprikas don't have flavor so go **** yourself

ROFL

It all has flavor, you've gotta start branching out into more than mexican.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2015, 02:46 PM
You got to buy bulk from Frontier. They have several kinds and all are more pungent than crap bought in a jar or tin at the supermarket.

Trust me.

I missed this thread.

But I disagree with buying in bulk. Pre-ground spices become worthless after a few months. Don't buy more than you can use in 3-4 months.

beach tribe
01-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Tell that to my deviled eggs, biotch.

beach tribe
01-30-2015, 02:49 PM

I had like 10 on Thanksgiving.

Great Expectations
01-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Paprika is a main ingredient in a lot of BBQ dry rubs.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 03:18 PM
I missed this thread.

But I disagree with buying in bulk. Pre-ground spices become worthless after a few months. Don't buy more than you can use in 3-4 months.

What I mean by "buying in bulk" is not buying by the jar or tin because it's too much to use up fast. I am not referring to buy in a huge bag. You scoop only what you need for the next cooking or as you say 3-4 months time. A year is too long. I buy in small amounts that can be used up soon and often per recipe. I have tested this.

I get mine at a Natural Food Market, who is constantly replacing their glass jars of ground and whole spices regularly. I have compared a fresh scoop of ginger to one a year old and there is a big loss of flavor and pungency. Those cardamon pods, whole anise, whole, whole allspice berried, juniper berries and cinnamon sticks I bought for my Christmas tablescape were so strong you could smell them from the table and when sticking them into the citrus fruits I used. Even the Bay leaf.

There are some spices I don't care for freshly ground—like nutmeg. It's too peppery. I like how pre-ground nutmeg mellows. I smell my spices before using or even taste. I keep them out of light too.

Easy 6
01-30-2015, 03:22 PM
When you hear the descriptor "savory" thrown around on Bourdain, Zimmern or anywhere else... that word describes the quality that paprika adds to almost anything you put it on.

Its flat out dynamite on almost anything with meat or tomatoes, or even white cream sauces, with Swedish meatballs being a perfect example.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 03:24 PM
When you hear the descriptor "savory" thrown around on Bourdain, Zimmern or anywhere else... that word describes the quality that paprika adds to almost anything you put it on.

Its flat out dynamite on almost anything with meat or tomatoes, or even white cream sauces, with Swedish meatballs being a perfect example.

I honestly don't use it often. I don't know why. It must just be what I choose to cook. I do like to add a dab in Mexican red sauces like an enchilada sauce or for coloring certain dishes for appearance. I like the Hungarian.

Fish
01-30-2015, 03:30 PM
I missed this thread.

Nonsense.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2015, 03:31 PM
What I mean by "buying in bulk" is not buying by the jar or tin because it's too much to use up fast. I am not referring to buy in a huge bag. You scoop only what you need for the next cooking or as you say 3-4 months time. A year is too long. I buy in small amounts that can be used up soon and often per recipe. I have tested this.

I get mine at a Natural Food Market, who is constantly replacing their glass jars of ground and whole spices regularly. I have compared a fresh scoop of ginger to one a year old and there is a big loss of flavor and pungency.

Ah, buying from a bulk story. Got it. Buying from a place that rotates stock regularly is good.

Those cardamon pods, whole anise, whole, whole allspice berried, juniper berries and cinnamon sticks I bought for my Christmas tablescape were so strong you could smell them from the table and when sticking them into the citrus fruits I used. Even the Bay leaf.

Whole seeds and pods will keep for a long time, especially if you keep them frozen.

There are some spices I don't care for freshly ground—like nutmeg. It's too peppery. I like how pre-ground nutmeg mellows. I smell my spices before using or even taste. I keep them out of light too.

WHAT!?! Fresh nutmeg is far superior to that pre-ground shit. **** that.

Easy 6
01-30-2015, 03:32 PM
I honestly don't use it often. I don't know why. It must just be what I choose to cook. I do like to add a dab in Mexican red sauces like an enchilada sauce or for coloring certain dishes for appearance. I like the Hungarian.

I get it, it does depend on what you're making... I've never heard of it being used in Italian or Mediterranean or Mexican food, and you seem to stick mostly with the first two when you go all out.

But paprika really is a wonderful spice, like I've said, I wont make fried chicken without it, when my chicken grease is slightly red after frying... I KNOW its gonna be good. Its great for adding a very subtle heat and a deepening of flavor to cajun foods, for instance.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Nonsense.

Worthless may have been an exaggeration, but absolutely not nonsense.

Most of what we think is flavor is actually aroma. Pre-ground spices quickly lose their aroma and pungency, and the longer it sits the lesser quality they become.

In58men
01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Serious guys be real here, have you ever tried something and say to yourself "I know there's paprika in here because I can taste it". Highly doubt it. Don't fool me.

AustinChief
01-30-2015, 03:54 PM
Serious guys be real here, have you ever tried something and say to yourself "I know there's paprika in here because I can taste it". Highly doubt it. Don't fool me.

Regular crappy parika? Nope. You are right, it has almost no flavor. Smoked paprika, hell yeah.

Funny story, first time i used smoked paprika in a recipe I put more than it called for because I assumed it would be like regular paprika and not very flavorful. Yeah, pretty much all you could taste was paprika. Ok, so the story wasn't THAT funny, but you get my point.

Buehler445
01-30-2015, 03:55 PM

My smoked pork butt.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2015, 03:56 PM

Yes, I generally can. As long as the paprika isn't 100 years old.

And flavor or not, it's great for color.

In58men
01-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes, I generally can. As long as the paprika isn't 100 years old.

And flavor or not, it's great for color.

Even fresh cheap regular stuff I can't taste, that's why I said it's only a garnish in the OP. It's just great for color. I guess I'll have to try smoked paprika.

In58men
01-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Regular crappy parika? Nope. You are right, it has almost no flavor. Smoked paprika, hell yeah.

Funny story, first time i used smoked paprika in a recipe I put more than it called for because I assumed it would be like regular paprika and not very flavorful. Yeah, pretty much all you could taste was paprika. Ok, so the story wasn't THAT funny, but you get my point.

I might have to switch it up. Just a little tip, you should always refrigerate paprika, if not it'll turn brown or a goldish color. Not sure if you care but I threw it out there anyways.

Just Passin' By
01-30-2015, 04:06 PM
This thread is serving as a reminder that I haven't had a good gulyas (goulash) in a long time, so thanks for that Inmem. :thumb:

In58men
01-30-2015, 04:08 PM
This thread is serving as a reminder that I haven't had a good gulyas (goulash) in a long time, so thanks for that Inmem. :thumb:

Put some paprika in it. I'm sure it'll just explode with flavor.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Put some Goldfish in it. I'm sure it'll just explode with flavor.

FYP

Easy 6
01-30-2015, 04:20 PM

Seriously... all. the. time.

I'm not flapping my gums in here just to sound smart, paprika is THE TRUTH MFER!

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 04:25 PM
I get it, it does depend on what you're making... I've never heard of it being used in Italian or Mediterranean or Mexican food, and you seem to stick mostly with the first two when you go all out.

But paprika really is a wonderful spice, like I've said, I wont make fried chicken without it, when my chicken grease is slightly red after frying... I KNOW its gonna be good. Its great for adding a very subtle heat and a deepening of flavor to cajun foods, for instance.

Yeah, I can see it for fried chicken, which I hardly make. But I have used it for any fried fish batter.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Worthless may have been an exaggeration, but absolutely not nonsense.

Most of what we think is flavor is actually aroma. Pre-ground spices quickly lose their aroma and pungency, and the longer it sits the lesser quality they become.

Martha Stewart says to use fresh spices. When I made my mini-gingerbread cakes at Christmas I couldn't find where I put my freshly bought batch. So used an older batch. I smelled it and tasted it and was doubtful but used it. Cakes were flat. Then when I was cleaning I found my fresh batch, smelled and tasted it and the difference was major. I remade the cakes and you could taste the difference in the second batch.

I keep mine in a cool location too. There are people who cook who claim this is not true. I tested it to see for myself. I find it to be true. In fact a jar of chives were nearly greyish green after a year.

Easy 6
01-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I can see it for fried chicken, which I hardly make. But I have used it for any fried fish batter.

Yeah, its great with fish as well... depending on what you're making its good on literally any kind of meat.

You cant hardly make cajun anything without paprika.

Fish
01-30-2015, 04:36 PM

Your tongue might be retarded.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Your tongue might be retarded.

Maybe his taste buds are just different than others.

Fish
01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Maybe his taste buds are just different than others.

That's what I just said.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Yeah, its great with fish as well... depending on what you're making its good on literally any kind of meat.

You cant hardly make cajun anything without paprika.

Yeah, I had to go out and buy some for that gumbo I made last summer. I don't make something like that often though. Or goulash for that matter. Think I made goulash once in my whole life.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 04:51 PM
That's what I just said.

No you said they were "retarded" instead of just different. One is a put-down, the other not.

kysirsoze
01-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Put some paprika in it. I'm sure it'll just explode with flavor.

LMAO

In58men
01-30-2015, 05:12 PM
No you said they were "retarded" instead of just different. One is a put-down, the other not.

Awwww.

You're my friend

In58men
01-30-2015, 05:13 PM
FYP

You actually might be onto something here

Goldfish + goulash?????

Stewie
01-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Bland paprika is for color. It's much like sprinkling parsley on a finished dish. BUT there are 100 different kinds of paprika. Don't buy those little Tone's plastic containers. Go to a specialty spice store like Penzey's. Their paprika will change your mind.

TimBone
01-30-2015, 05:52 PM
I missed this thread.

Solid info. Thanks.

In58men
01-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Hall of Classics???

cdcox
01-30-2015, 07:38 PM
You can't make BBQ without paprika.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Hall of Classics???

LMAO

splatbass
01-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Paprika trivia:

If you go into a store in South Korea and ask for paprika this is what you'll get.

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/organic_produce_slideshow/istock_photo_of_bell_peppers.jpg

Bell peppers. The word "paprika" in Korea means bell peppers. 파프리카.

HonestChieffan
01-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Penzeys.

Stop being an idiot.

Simply Red
01-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Paprika absolutely has a mild pepper taste.

Buzz
01-30-2015, 10:36 PM
Never thought that much about it, went and had a taste of the dry spice and cant say anything stood out to me. That being said, the profile can change after being cooked. Would not agree or disagree, It does look nice on deviled eggs.

BucEyedPea
01-30-2015, 10:52 PM
Paprika absolutely has a mild pepper taste.

Paprika is made from dried and ground red peppers of the chili family. There's just different kinds.

cdcox
01-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Paprika trivia:

If you go into a store in South Korea and ask for paprika this is what you'll get.

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/organic_produce_slideshow/istock_photo_of_bell_peppers.jpg

Bell peppers. The word "paprika" in Korea means bell peppers. 파프리카.

Those are mangos/ North east PA

Simply Red
01-31-2015, 12:47 AM
Paprika is made from dried and ground red peppers of the chili family. There's just different kinds.

I guess you don't know my background. But I cooked about 14 years - not sure if you knew that.

Simply Red
01-31-2015, 12:48 AM

There are some great offerings of it at our local farmers market.