PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Bigger doors

Holladay
02-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Might be helping out a friends house. They need three 36" (not sure on the width) door ways for their handicapped son. How did I do that? Header/studs etc. Whack out one side, install another stud at the correct width and frame up?

Thanks

Ming the Merciless
02-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Pretty much

If they're interior doors you can get fairly nice 6 panel pre-hung doors for about 80$ a pop I believe...home depot

Go prehung

Then you can measure that, I think its 38" for the 36 inch doors iirc

SAUTO
02-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Might be helping out a friends house. They need three 36" (not sure on the width) door ways for their handicapped son. How did I do that? Header/studs etc. Whack out one side, install another stud at the correct width and frame up?

Thanks

exactly, we had to do all our doors that way.

Buehler445
02-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Pretty much

If they're interior doors you can get fairly nice 6 panel pre-hung doors for about 80$ a pop I believe...home depot

Go prehung

Solid advice. Prehung is where it's at.

Measure the swing of the door. Make sure it doesn't bash into walls, other doors, etc.

bobbymitch
02-03-2015, 10:10 AM
My guess is that if you are replacing a 24" or 30" door with a 36" you will need to add a new header. Otherwise the old header will be left hanging with little to no support. If the door is on a bearing wall, then additional bracing will be needed if the header has to be replaced.

And yes, with the extra door width, double check the swing arc to see if the extra length doesn't interfere with anything (towel racks, light fixtures, etc..

Simply Red
02-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Pretty much

Go prehung

I love prehung.

Holladay
02-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Cool, thanks for the confirmation. Prehung is the bomb. Nice thought about the swing...something that is an "ah crap" moment after the job is completed.