PDA

View Full Version : Football Jerry Rice Admits to Using Stickum On His Gloves

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2015, 02:10 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/rice-admits-to-illegal-use-of-stickum/

In an interview with Hall of Famer Jerry Rice said, “I’ve played in cold weather, I know how hard the football is and you can grip the leather [if deflated] just a little bit better.”

When it comes to playing football in any conditions, the challenge becomes not only throwing it but catching it. And in the ESPN segment narrated by Jim Trotter, Rice nonchalantly made a stunning (in hindsight) confession: Rice put stickum on his gloves.

“I know this might be a little illegal, guys, but you put a little spray, a little stickum on them, to make sure that texture is a little sticky,” Rice said, laughing.

It wasn’t a little illegal, it was a lot illegal. As explained in the ESPN feature, gloves were introduced to football after the NFL decided to outlaw the stuff that guys like Fred Biletnikoff and Lester Hayes (pictured) would spread copiously on their hands, and elsewhere. Rice admitted in the feature that he enhanced the surface of gloves approved for use in the NFL with a substance that would make it easier to catch the ball.

Amnorix
02-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Video here.

But of course Rice (and other Niners) are trying to make sure the Patriots dynasty is viewed as tainted. Stunning hypocrisy.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12183975

BigCatDaddy
02-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Cheater!

Radar Chief
02-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I don't see the problem here. /Clifford Franklin

Big Smoke
02-06-2015, 02:17 PM
0 fucks given

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2015, 02:18 PM
I've mentioned this before but people in San Fran think Rice is a scumbag. He cheated on his wife constantly, often visited "Massage Parlors" (i.e., prostitutes) and was a frequent cocaine user. Now, we can add Cheater to the list.

The guy is scum. And if anyone's record should be tainted, it should be his.

LiveSteam
02-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Rocket queen,Tiney lil dancer, his legs burned out long before his stickum hands ever did.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2015, 02:22 PM
cheating but still not the same as deflating the footballs

loochy
02-06-2015, 02:24 PM
OMG STICKUMGATE
RICEGHAZI

RealSNR
02-06-2015, 02:28 PM
In his rookie year, Jerry dropped passes worse than any Chiefs receiver we've ever seen.

Then he stopped.

Iiiiiiinteresting....

TribalElder
02-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Video here.

But of course Rice (and other Niners) are trying to make sure the Patriots dynasty is viewed as tainted. Stunning hypocrisy.

But.... The patriots are cheater right :shrug:

kcfanXIII
02-06-2015, 02:29 PM

I think they are at least equal offenses.

Amnorix
02-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Which there is actually absolutely no evidence the Patriots DID, at least not YET. Just for the record...

Of course, we'll find out when Wells issues his report.

DaWolf
02-06-2015, 02:36 PM

If it's all about grip and holding the ball, then why not? Rice technically circumvented the "integrity of the game". Of course so did a ton of others.

Just proves how stupid this inflation thing is...

TheUte
02-06-2015, 02:44 PM
So he is a scum bag cheater, which has nothing to do with the Cheatriots.

One does not make the other more or less important.

So they are both cheaters, nothing to see here move along.

LiveSteam
02-06-2015, 02:49 PM
One more for Tom's thumb.
In other news. Suh says he is heading to Seattle.

stumppy
02-06-2015, 02:51 PM
So he is a scum bag cheater, which has nothing to do with the Cheatriots.

One does not make the other more or less important.

So they're both cheaters, nothing to see here move along.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I agree both stickums and deflating are cheating. What I took away from the OP is along with being a cheater Rice is also a fucking hypocrite.

rabblerouser
02-06-2015, 03:03 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/rice-admits-to-illegal-use-of-stickum/

In an interview with Hall of Famer Jerry Rice said, Ive played in cold weather, I know how hard the football is and you can grip the leather [if deflated] just a little bit better.

When it comes to playing football in any conditions, the challenge becomes not only throwing it but catching it. And in the ESPN segment narrated by Jim Trotter, Rice nonchalantly made a stunning (in hindsight) confession: Rice put stickum on his gloves.

I know this might be a little illegal, guys, but you put a little spray, a little stickum on them, to make sure that texture is a little sticky, Rice said, laughing.

It wasnt a little illegal, it was a lot illegal. As explained in the ESPN feature, gloves were introduced to football after the NFL decided to outlaw the stuff that guys like Fred Biletnikoff and Lester Hayes (pictured) would spread copiously on their hands, and elsewhere. Rice admitted in the feature that he enhanced the surface of gloves approved for use in the NFL with a substance that would make it easier to catch the ball.

Say it ain't so.

ROFL

Hammock Parties
02-06-2015, 03:09 PM
I've mentioned this before but people in San Fran think Rice is a scumbag. He cheated on his wife constantly, often visited "Massage Parlors" (i.e., prostitutes) and was a frequent cocaine user. Now, we can add Cheater to the list.

Yep. It's hilarious how Irvin got the bad rap and everyone thought Rice was a choir boy.

Also heard that Rice swung both ways.

TheUte
02-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I agree both stickums and deflating are cheating. What I took away from the OP is along with being a cheater Rice is also a ****ing hypocrite.

Man, I hate when I do that.

I agree completely. The cheating thing has just become a joke to me.

Obviously, the NFL doesn't really care or they would stop it.

You know the old saying, "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying."

-King-
02-06-2015, 03:17 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ToQVoyWWluQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

temper11
02-06-2015, 03:22 PM

I agree with this... but then why come out with the whole deflate gate if they don't care. If everyone is doing it why do they only catch the patriots? You'd think they'd pick on some team like the Jaguars or something.

SoupNaze
02-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Long time lurker...maybe my second post. Anyways, have you all missed the latest on the Pats thing? I see a few in here waiting for the Wells Report. Not thread jacking but here's a link stating ONE ball was 2 lbs under. The others were only slightly under the minimum of 12.5psi.

Edit: Oh yeah, can't link yet. Anyways, there's always Google.

RobBlake
02-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Long time lurker...maybe my second post. Anyways, have you all missed the latest on the Pats thing? I see a few in here waiting for the Wells Report. Not thread jacking but here's a link stating ONE ball was 2 lbs under. The others were only slightly under the minimum of 12.5psi.

there are no objectiveness around these parts.. they don't care lol

BigRichard
02-06-2015, 03:54 PM

When did this happen? I have never heard of this thing. Please give me more information.

jdubya
02-06-2015, 03:55 PM

I live here in the SF bay area and never heard of the above about Rice. Interesting. In other local news, the Raiders just hired Ken Norton Jr as DC

TimBone
02-06-2015, 04:07 PM

Asterix mult

Pawnmower
02-06-2015, 04:12 PM
who gives a ****

honestly

rice is probably the best player that ever touched a football

how many motherfuckers sprayed stickum on their shit and dont even qualify to hold rice's fuckign jockstrap or sniff his cup

KCrockaholic
02-06-2015, 04:16 PM
OMG cheater!/acting like Brady critics

Pawnmower
02-06-2015, 04:18 PM
They hate us because they ANUS

(cuss words)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_vuU0yFn9Mc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(haters gonna hate , ainters gonna aint)

Mr. Laz
02-06-2015, 04:30 PM
If it's all about grip and holding the ball, then why not? Rice technically circumvented the "integrity of the game". Of course so did a ton of others.

Just proves how stupid this inflation thing is...

no problems with PEDs then either?

free for all?

If you're not cheating then you aren't trying hard enough?

DaWolf
02-06-2015, 04:37 PM
no problems with PEDs then either?

free for all?

If you're not cheating then you aren't trying hard enough?

Whatever it is, let's be consistent.

If the media is all over "InflateGate", then I don't see why TextGate and NoiseGate and StickumGate are not leading newscasts. If players want to "taint" trophies or cry about cheating, then let's look at what they themselves did in their day rather than whining that someone else doesn't stack up to them and are tainted. If Tom Brady's rings are tainted, why is no one ripping John Elway and the Donx for their two trophies that were helped by salary cap violations?

I'm just tired of the hypocrisy...

bowener
02-06-2015, 04:41 PM
This is worse than deflating footballs. He most definitely cheated in all his SB appearances. This does more to harm the "integrity" of the game by far. His ass should be handed to him on national TV after all the shit he said about the Patriots.

Rain Man
02-06-2015, 04:49 PM
I live here in the SF bay area and never heard of the above about Rice. Interesting. In other local news, the Raiders just hired Ken Norton Jr as DC

I had no idea that Ken Norton, Jr., was so desperate. It's sad to see how some of these NFL players completely crash and burn after their NFL careers. I'm assuming he must be homeless now?

keg in kc
02-06-2015, 04:56 PM
I've thought the deflation thing was bullshit all along. I think every team cheats on a weekly basis, that many rules are...flexible and that everybody is always looking for some edge, cheap or otherwise.

The best theory I've heard was that the whole deflation thing was leaked to divert any attention away from Goodell' s handling of Ray Rice and domestic violence the two weeks leading into the superbowl. Something innocuous to occupy the national narrative.

Pawnmower
02-06-2015, 05:05 PM
hey I bet if Mark Boerichter sprayed stickum on his hands he couldve been Jerry Rice, too bad he didnt think of that

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Video here.

It is tainted. Another wrong doesn't change that.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-06-2015, 05:09 PM
I've thought the deflation thing was bullshit all along. I think every team cheats on a weekly basis, that many rules are...flexible and that everybody is always looking for some edge, cheap or otherwise.

The best theory I've heard was that the whole deflation thing was leaked to divert any attention away from Goodell' s handling of Ray Rice and domestic violence the two weeks leading into the superbowl. Something innocuous to occupy the national narrative.

A near decade of impossible otherwise fumble numbers says otherwise about the deflate incident.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2015, 05:10 PM

Beloved "Dancing with the Stars" alum though.....

Pawnmower
02-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Jerry Rice is the best football player to ever play the game (offensively)

the pats are the Best dynasty ever in football

tom brady is the second best QB to ever play the game

anything else is whinging

Pawnmower
02-06-2015, 05:13 PM
I've mentioned this before but people in San Fran think Rice is a scumbag.

Nah..

Most people here worship the guy

I dunno who told you this, but it was probably a raider's fan

Deberg_1990
02-06-2015, 05:14 PM
tom brady is the second best QB to ever play the game

One lucky David Tyree catch away from a "no Debate" Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever.

Pawnmower
02-06-2015, 05:15 PM
One lucky David Tyree catch away from a "no Debate" Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever.

Im even willing to entertain arguments that he is the best

but yah

ping2000
02-06-2015, 05:16 PM
The only thing we can say for sure is the Chiefs don't cheat. Either that or they really suck at cheating. Nice job guys!

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Im even willing to entertain arguments that he is the best

but yah

"A wild hootie appears"

Pawnmower
02-06-2015, 05:20 PM
"A wild hootie appears"

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/93/93f073fffaa8a3eb60b0a7b02fd0ea4f01b3e0ab8957e1ac21e09b264c59a2e0.jpg

Mojo Rising
02-06-2015, 05:49 PM

I lived in SF from 1995 - 2009 and never heard anyone that disliked him. I attended a charity event for work when he was on Dancing With The Stars and he was in attendance. People treated him like a god.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2015, 05:56 PM

He also cheated in a Nationwide Tour event by using a GPS on the course, so it's not surprising he'd cheat in other avenues as well.

Red Dawg
02-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Who give a damn what Rice did 15 years ago.

chiefzilla1501
02-06-2015, 06:19 PM
It's an interesting story. But man, I really don't need another reason for Boston fans to bitch about how horrible their life is and to suggest that their team is getting a bad rep.

This is bad on Jerry Rice. The Pats still have a history of shady shit beyond Deflategate. And Boston fans can please stop acting like they have such a huge chip on their shoulder because God forbid their gazillion championships in NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL isn't enough.

RobBlake
02-06-2015, 06:25 PM
who gives a ****

honestly

how many mother****ers sprayed stickum on their shit and dont even qualify to hold rice's ****ign jockstrap or sniff his cup

this.

it is a minor help... but you still need to have hands. Modern day gloves are a lot like stickum anyways

Marcellus
02-06-2015, 06:30 PM
LMAO Rice is hated in SF.

LMAO LMAO LMAO

damaticous
02-06-2015, 07:19 PM
......Well, he was a Raider. .....

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2015, 07:49 PM

LMAO LMAO LMAO

He was and is very disliked by people that knew the "real" Jerry Rice.

It's like the people that worshipped Derrick Thomas on Sunday's versus the people, like me, that saw him constantly at strip clubs and banging strippers while fathering children all over town.

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Who give a damn what Rice did 15 years ago.

I'll bet Tony Gonzalez cares.

And it matters because the leading receiver in NFL history just admitted cheating while playing.

And yet Pete Rose is out of baseball and not allowed into the HOF.

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Can't muster the energy to give a fraction of a fuck.

SoupNaze
02-06-2015, 08:21 PM
there are no objectiveness around these parts.. they don't care lol

Yeah, I know.

I think...it was posted about 3-4 days ago about the balls only being slightly deflated.

Thanks for the neg rep y'all.

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2015, 08:23 PM

It's like the people that worshipped Derrick Thomas on Sunday's versus the people, like me, that saw him constantly at strip clubs and banging strippers while fathering children all over town.

Meh. I watch football for what the players do on the field.

Could not possibly give a fuck less what they do otherwise, as long as they're not hurting anyone.

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Meh. I watch football for what the players do on the field.

Could not possibly give a fuck less what they do otherwise, as long as they're not hurting anyone.
That's all good. But I can tell you from personal experience, whether it's a guy like DT or even David Lee Roth, it can be a bummer to meet people you admire for their talent.

Discuss Thrower
02-06-2015, 08:31 PM

Well yeah but didn't you get some of dat spillover vadge?

Demonpenz
02-06-2015, 08:39 PM
anyone that successful has to be an epic doosh. Babe Ruth never flushed the toilet.

Marcellus
02-07-2015, 07:54 AM

Thats a great comparison. DT while he may have had his issues, and could be an asshole was and is generally worshiped not disliked.

You are far from the first person to imply DT wasn't close to being a saint.

Take what the vast majority of the KC fan base thinks of DT and multiply it x100 and you have Rice.

phisherman
02-07-2015, 07:59 AM
That's all good. But I can tell you from personal experience, whether it's a guy like DT or even David Lee Roth, it can be a bummer to meet people you admire for their talent.

Yeah, Derrick was a real piece of work. My favorite was when he would hop behind the bar at The Locker Room at 40 and Noland and "serve drinks". I think the last time I saw him in person, I asked him for 2 beers and gave him a $10 bill. He gave me back maybe 5-6 beers and about $30 in various bills.

He did this frequently too.

Gravedigger
02-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Thats a great comparison. DT while he may have had his issues, and could be an asshole was and is generally worshiped not disliked.

You are far from the first person to imply DT wasn't close to being a saint.

Take what the vast majority of the KC fan base thinks of DT and multiply it x100 and you have Rice.

I'll don't care what DT puts his dick into, the worst thing you can hold against him is not practicing hard. DT never needed to put shit on his jersey or gloves to make him or that D play better.

rabblerouser
02-07-2015, 08:27 AM

You know the old saying, "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying." Man, I hate when I do that.

:hmmm:

rabblerouser
02-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Yep. It's hilarious how Irvin got the bad rap and everyone thought Rice was a choir boy.

Also heard that Rice swung both ways.

Well, speaking from the pint of view of someone who had to explain to his Afro-American co-worker that, it doesn't matter who's doing the sucking, if you let a male suck you off or touch you in any sexual way, the acts constitute homosexuality; therefore, he himself engaged in homosexual behavior.

"Naw, mang; you don't get it. I'm the one getting MY dick sucked...so I ain't gay."

:hmmm:

WhiteWhale
02-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Yup.

Clearly this means Rice was actually a terrible player. Plus I heard other rumors about him and since I assume they're true he's a terrible person. I like gossip! /cp

SAUTO
02-07-2015, 09:14 AM

Best one I've heard is that the colts deflated the ball prior to giving it to the refs.

That's why one ball was so far under and the rest were close to 12.5

Saccopoo
02-07-2015, 11:00 AM
who gives a ****

honestly

how many mother****ers sprayed stickum on their shit and dont even qualify to hold rice's ****ign jockstrap or sniff his cup

Rice wasn't even the best receiver, let alone the best football player.

Montana and Young throwing to you for your entire career?

And then think about doing it with Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg passing you the ball instead.

http://throwbacksnw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Jim-Zorn-and-Largent.jpg

When Largent retired, he held all major NFL receiving records, including: most receptions in a career (819), most receiving yards in a career (13,089), and most touchdown receptions (100). He was also in possession of a then-record streak of 177 consecutive regular-season games with a reception. He also holds the distinction as the first receiver in NFL history to achieve 100 touchdown receptions in his career.

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Rice wasn't even the best receiver, let alone the best football player.

Montana and Young throwing to you for your entire career?

And then think about doing it with Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg passing you the ball instead.

http://throwbacksnw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Jim-Zorn-and-Largent.jpg
Rice was the best of all time. Period.

Saccopoo
02-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Rice was the best of all time. Period.

No, he wasn't.

Two top-ten QB's of all time.

Roger Craig.

Tom Rathman.

Superb offensive line.

Largent set every record prior to Rice breaking them with dog shit around him.

Not even close.

keg in kc
02-07-2015, 11:32 AM
A near decade of impossible otherwise fumble numbers says otherwise about the deflate incident.I wasn't saying they didn't do it. I was suggesting that they've always done it and the league leaked the story at the time they did on purpose.

Ebolapox
02-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Rice is among the best football players ever

Just Passin' By
02-07-2015, 11:35 AM
A near decade of impossible otherwise fumble numbers says otherwise about the deflate incident.

This is the problem with accusations. Even after they are proven false, idiots still cite them as if they are valid.

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2015, 11:46 AM
No, he wasn't.

Two top-ten QB's of all time.

Roger Craig.

Tom Rathman.

Superb offensive line.

Largent set every record prior to Rice breaking them with dog shit around him.

Not even close.
Is this supposed to be serious? Rice didn't just break Largents records. He shattered them. So Largent should be considered better because he broke the record before rice did?

Ebolapox
02-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Is this supposed to be serious? Rice didn't just break Largents records. He shattered them. So Largent should be considered better because he broke the record before rice did?

Largent from utah? That may explain this

Deberg_1990
02-07-2015, 12:00 PM
John Taylor > Jerry Rice

Saccopoo
02-07-2015, 12:05 PM

No, Largent should be considered better because he was.

Two of the most accurate QB's to have ever played, two QB's who are generally regarded as Top 10 of all-time, with a stellar supporting cast and a coach(s) who was utilizing an offense that was the finest in execution and innovation at it's time in the NFL (the 49'ers version of the West Coast offense redefined the league and was geared towards a focused passing attack) helps Rice and his numbers exponentially more than what Largent had in Seattle.

Zorn was, first and foremost, a scrambler. It was a chaotic offensive approach compared to the precision of the west coast system that the 49'ers ran.

I'm not saying Rice sucks. The guy was great.

However, considering the situation, Largent's numbers and records were significantly more slanted towards him being the best receiver in the history of the league versus Jerry Rice benefiting from two of the greatest QB's ever in a precision offensive machine.

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Largent from utah? That may explain this

Amazingly no. Who knows what's driving this one.

Jerry Rice pretty much doubled Largent's stats in every single statistical category, and Saccopoo wants to put these guys in the same conversation. Ridiculous.

Saccopoo
02-07-2015, 12:10 PM
In fact, I'd put Jerry Rice #4 positionally.

1. Steve Largent
2. Lance Alworth
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Jerry Rice

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2015, 12:14 PM

1. Steve Largent
2. Lance Alworth
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Jerry Rice

You have got to be fucking kidding me. What a joke.

BigCatDaddy
02-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Sac just Hootified the thread.

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Most productive receiver in the game. Nobody comes even close
Played in an era of exceptional defenses and loose pass interference/holding rules. There was no stat padding like there is today
Best route runner in the history of the game. Nobody comes close
Probably the best football IQ of any receiver ever
Best blocker in the game.
He was exceptional at every single pass in the game. Could catch deep routes, in traffic, and may be one of the best YAC receivers of all time
He had excellent hands
He was an excellent leader
He is easily the most durable position player to every play the game

And he was exceptional even when Bono, Grbac, and Gannon. Fuck, he was almost a 1,000 yard receiver after age 35 with Garcia and Mirer throwing to him. He is easily the greatest receiver of all time and it's not even close. He's in fact easily in the conversation of GOAT... period.

Saccopoo
02-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Nope. #4. Positionally.

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Nope. #4. Positionally.

And it is the dumbest thing I've read in a very long time.

In era where there wasn't stat inflation, before the age of 35, Jerry Rice had 3,000 more yards, 200 more receptions, and 72 more TDs. And you want to attribute that to the QB and coaching.

There are few players in any sport where the different statistically between the best and the second best at the position is as enormous a gap as between Rice and the #2 guy. And that's considering Rice played in an era of tough defenses, tough PI rules, and a balanced passing/running game.

The idea that he should be punished for having excellent QBs is ridiculous. Even within the system, he was coached in many of those years by Seifert, Mooch, and Callahan. Your argument that Rice is the #4 receiver of all time might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on cp, and that's coming from me, who owns a pretty good chunk of the top 10 dumbest things ever said on cp.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-07-2015, 01:38 PM
This is the problem with accusations. Even after they are proven false, idiots still cite them as if they are valid.

How exactly were we proven false? One of the sites u said killed the accusation had a graph with the fumble drop happening EXACTLY when teams were put in charge of their own balls. You damn buffoon.

Jim Lahey
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM

1. Steve Largent
2. Lance Alworth
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Jerry Rice

At least we know who's racist now

Just Passin' By
02-07-2015, 01:50 PM
How exactly were we proven false? One of the sites u said killed the accusation had a graph with the fumble drop happening EXACTLY when teams were put in charge of their own balls. You damn buffoon.

The claim has already been debunked by a whole bunch of articles, and the graph does NOT actually have "the fumble drop happening EXACTLY when teams were put in charge of their own balls". But, as I said, the idiots will still cite it as the truth.

Pawnmower
02-07-2015, 02:10 PM

The people that knew the real rice?

Lol

So several hundred out of millions?

And all his friends hated him?

Ummmm nah

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2015, 02:12 PM
The people that knew the real rice?

Lol

So several hundred out of millions?

And all his friends hated him?

Ummmm nah

That's not what I'm saying, at all.

What I'm saying is that there were and are people in San Fran that know the real Jerry Rice. The misogynist, cocaine snorting, prostitute hiring Jerry Rice. Not the media creation.

Pawnmower
02-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Rice is the greatest player who touched the ball on offense...period.

If you were starting the hall of fame today, rice would be hands down 1st ballod , 1st string, best of the best.

His records will stand 50 years

Pawnmower
02-07-2015, 02:15 PM
That's not what I'm saying, at all.

What I'm saying is that there were and are people in San Fran that know the real Jerry Rice. The misogynist, cocaine snorting, prostitute hiring Jerry Rice. Not the media creation.

Everyone is human....a lot of people snorted coke in the 80s

A lot of people in his shoes would been pussy hounds

I 100% disagree that these things make him a bad person

Furthermore, you're running away from your ORIGINAL statement which was that he was hated in SF.

utter nonsense

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Everyone is human....a lot of people snorted coke in the 80s

A lot of people in his shoes would been pussy hounds

I 100% disagree that these things make him a bad person

Furthermore, you're running away from your ORIGINAL statement which was that he was hated in SF.

utter nonsense

Okay, maybe I phrased it incorrectly but the point still stands: The guy was a cheater on and off the field. The guy was cheating on his wife with prostitutes and the guy was way into cocaine.

If the NFL had drug testing in the 80's as they do today, many of these guys wouldn't be as revered.

Pawnmower
02-07-2015, 02:23 PM
I'm sure you're correct about that...like if NFL had a sudden witch-hunt like mlb did....

But I think almost EVERYONE in the 80s and early nineties probably would've failed roid tests...

I mean rice was going up against other cheaters at a time when you got away with roids AND you could actually hit people still...and allowed to play D

If anything , excelling in that era proves what a stud he is...unless you think Rice was the only one cheating

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2015, 02:28 PM
I'm sure you're correct about that...like if NFL had a sudden witch-hunt like mlb did....

But I think almost EVERYONE in the 80s and early nineties probably would've failed roid tests...

I mean rice was going up against other cheaters at a time when you got away with roids AND you could actually hit people still...

If anything , excelling in that era proves what a stud he is...unless you think Rice was the only one cheating

I think a lot of guys cheated then and I think guys are cheating today (HGH). But spraying glue on gloves to me is egregious. Apparently, some people don't care but I just can't see how anyone can look at Rice the same way.

As to steroids, drug use, etc., it's likely that several Hall of Fame members from that era wouldn't be in the HOF with today's drug testing. Josh Gordon, who may be the most talented receiver in the NFL, is set to miss at least another full season for pot.

If this were the 80's, the NFL wouldn't even care and the dude might have been the best in the game.

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Well yeah but didn't you get some of dat spillover vadge?

I was in those situations because of the women I was with, not because I was going out with guys like DLR or DT.

Meeting DLR was probably the biggest bummer of all time. I was and am a big Van Halen fan but the first thing he said to me was "Hey man, nice to meet you. Do you have a bump?".

:(

I ran into him a few more times and he was always cool and never asked again, but that was just a bummer.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-07-2015, 02:37 PM
No, Largent should be considered better because he was.

Two of the most accurate QB's to have ever played, two QB's who are generally regarded as Top 10 of all-time, with a stellar supporting cast and a coach(s) who was utilizing an offense that was the finest in execution and innovation at it's time in the NFL (the 49'ers version of the West Coast offense redefined the league and was geared towards a focused passing attack) helps Rice and his numbers exponentially more than what Largent had in Seattle.

Zorn was, first and foremost, a scrambler. It was a chaotic offensive approach compared to the precision of the west coast system that the 49'ers ran.

I'm not saying Rice sucks. The guy was great.

However, considering the situation, Largent's numbers and records were significantly more slanted towards him being the best receiver in the history of the league versus Jerry Rice benefiting from two of the greatest QB's ever in a precision offensive machine.

Steve Largent is the Kiki Vandeweghe of wide receivers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-07-2015, 02:38 PM
I think a lot of guys cheated then and I think guys are cheating today (HGH). But spraying glue on gloves to me is egregious. Apparently, some people don't care but I just can't see how anyone can look at Rice the same way.

As to steroids, drug use, etc., it's likely that several Hall of Fame members from that era wouldn't be in the HOF with today's drug testing. Josh Gordon, who may be the most talented receiver in the NFL, is set to miss at least another full season for pot.

If this were the 80's, the NFL wouldn't even care and the dude might have been the best in the game.

Reminds me of a Cris Carter quote on "Mike and Mike" when they were talking about some of the off-the-field issues about three or four months ago:

"Greeny, I caught 11 touchdowns one year strung out on cocaine."

LMAO

SAUTO
02-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Reminds me of a Cris Carter quote on "Mike and Mike" when they were talking about some of the off-the-field issues about three or four months ago:

LMAO

But bones jones can't train and fight on it...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-07-2015, 02:51 PM

1. Steve Largent
2. Lance Alworth
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Jerry Rice

Two white guys

Haha. Utah is a funny place.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-07-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Panama Lewis gave Aaron Pryor either blow diluted in water or some other kind of stimulant dissolved in water the first time he fought Alexis Arguello.

Hell, if I had a fighter going up against Jones, I'd probably give him a fistful of PCP.

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2015, 03:13 PM

LMAO

It's funny but it's also a damn shame in Gordon's case.

The guy led the NFL in yardage, while only playing 14 games back in 2013, with stiffs like Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell as QB's.

Could you imagine this guy with a Joe Montana?

beach tribe
02-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Man, I bet everybody did/does.
I don't care.
Don't care about performance enhancers.
Really don't care much about player cheating.
Despise organizational cheating, though.
The cap and what not....or taping a teams signals, spying, bribing officials, etc.

beach tribe
02-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Hell, if I had a fighter going up against Jones, I'd probably give him a fistful of PCP.

Adderall.
No bigger instant advantage than than CNS flooded with amphetamines.

Chief Roundup
02-07-2015, 04:37 PM
These guys need to learn there are certain things they should take with them. This will only serve to tarnish his legacy. It will not serve any good.

kcxiv
02-07-2015, 04:39 PM

LMAO LMAO LMAOYeah, i dont know anyone in Niner country that i live in that hate the guy. Everyone i know that is a niners fan from the Valley and from the Bay absolutely idolize the dude.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-07-2015, 05:52 PM
The claim has already been debunked by a whole bunch of articles, and the graph does NOT actually have "the fumble drop happening EXACTLY when teams were put in charge of their own balls". But, as I said, the idiots will still cite it as the truth.

You are a lying sack of crap. Retardson 2.0

GoChargers
02-07-2015, 07:41 PM

Or, you know, the so-called "GOAT quarterback" putting up more than 14 points with what was then the greatest offense of all time.

GoChargers
02-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Fun fact that most people don't remember - Rice was a scrub his rookie year and was thisclose to being benched:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/too-deep-zone-jerry-rice-rookie-bust

One wonders how differently his career would have gone if he hadn't started cheating.

Eleazar
02-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Wasn't everyone doing this back in the day?

Hammock Parties
02-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Fun fact that most people don't remember - Rice was a scrub his rookie year and was thisclose to being benched:

One wonders how differently his career would have gone if he hadn't started cheating.

Let me guess, Charlie Joiner is the truth.

J Diddy
02-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Okay, maybe I phrased it incorrectly but the point still stands: The guy was a cheater on and off the field. The guy was cheating on his wife with prostitutes and the guy was way into cocaine.

If the NFL had drug testing in the 80's as they do today, many of these guys wouldn't be as revered.

That assumes that they wouldn't alter their behavior.

GloryDayz
02-07-2015, 08:46 PM
This will be Clark Hunt as he realizes the Chiefs just weren't trying hard enough...

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/humour/images/251bigeyes.jpg

tecumseh
02-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Pop Warner is fun.