PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The NFL is fleecing Chicago for the draft

chiefzilla1501
02-08-2015, 09:22 AM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/02/06/baffoe-something-is-already-not-sitting-right-with-nfl-draft-in-chicago/

The good ole' NFL. Completely fleecing the city of Chicago with their over-the-top demands for the NFL draft. After what happens in this draft, I can't imagine another city wanting to host it.

GloucesterChief
02-08-2015, 09:23 AM
The NFL has been fleecing taxpayers for years. Every sports league does. Just look at the IOC.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-08-2015, 09:29 AM
May is a damned fine month to be in the mid west.

Or working on a prison roof in Maine.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-08-2015, 09:36 AM
This is good. Their going to end up losing their tax exemption because of all this bullshit. People are getting fed up with the league.

kcfanXIII
02-08-2015, 09:36 AM
While I don't doubt the nfl has some demands, the majority of this article is an anti football rant in general. I'm not surprised people like him don't want the nfl having an event in town. These are the types of people that complain about how much college coaches make by saying "that money could have gone to the arts" like there are people lining up to watch some frog in a beret paint every Saturday.

beach tribe
02-08-2015, 09:39 AM
This is good. Their going to end up losing their tax exemption because of all this bullshit. People are getting fed up with the league.

The factthat they are tax exempt is absolutely ludicrous.

beach tribe
02-08-2015, 09:42 AM
While I don't doubt the nfl has some demands, the majority of this article is an anti football rant in general. I'm not surprised people like him don't want the nfl having an event in town. These are the types of people that complain about how much college coaches make by saying "that money could have gone to the arts" like there are people lining up to watch some frog in a beret paint every Saturday.
Yeah, I mean who likes to win?
And its not like having a powerhouse doesn't generate enough to cover his salary 10 times over.

MMXcalibur
02-08-2015, 09:44 AM

This x 10000000000

It still baffles me that in this day and age, the NFL is still claiming that status.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Yep. It needs to change. There's another group I think also needs to lose that status but I'll refrain from this thread getting moved to DC. It's far past time for sports leagues to start paying taxes. The players do, why shouldn't the teams?

chiefzilla1501
02-08-2015, 09:47 AM

These aren't some demands. The NFL is asking for the moon, and they found a sucker who gave it to them. We will see how this affects the draft day experience, but this might hint at why the draft is no longer at Radio City Music Hall as it has been for umpteen years.

Ultimately, that's Chicago's fault. I am sure any city would be ecstatic about getting the draft. But it sounds to me that the NFL basically has an enormous list of demands and is forcing the city to pay for them.

kcfanXIII
02-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I mean who likes to win?
And its not like having a powerhouse doesn't generate enough to cover his salary 10 times over.

Exactly. My point though to prevent a hijacking, is that this is more of an opinion piece than a list of facts showing holding the draft in town will be bad. The guy criticizes the Heads Up program for Christ's sake.

TribalElder
02-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Illinois is a shitty state

Chicago is in Illinois

Therefore Chicago is a shitty state :shrug:

kcfanXIII
02-08-2015, 09:50 AM
These aren't some demands. The NFL is asking for the moon, and they found a sucker who gave it to them. We will see how this affects the draft day experience, but this might hint at why the draft is no longer at Radio City Music Hall as it has been for umpteen years.

Ultimately, that's Chicago's fault. I am sure any city would be ecstatic about getting the draft. But it sounds to me that the NFL basically has an enormous list of demands and is forcing the city to pay for them.

This isn't new for any nfl event. It is routine for the super bowl. Not saying I agree with it, but this author is obviously anti football in general. He doesn't present any of the pros to having the draft at all, and speculates that under the table deals were made with no facts.

MMXcalibur
02-08-2015, 09:52 AM
And as bad as the NFL is, they still don't hold a candle to the kind of bullshit that the IOC and FIFA demands for their Olympics and World Cup, respectively. Multi-million dollar stadiums and event locations are built for the purpose of being used for 1-2 months and are then never used again.

chiefzilla1501
02-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Exactly. My point though to prevent a hijacking, is that this is more of an opinion piece than a list of facts showing holding the draft in town will be bad. The guy criticizes the Heads Up program for Christ's sake.

I just picked the first article I can find. May not have been the best one. If you Google News it, there are plenty of Chicago news outlets picking it up. And every one of them thinks it's overbearing.

Granted... it sounds like the bigger issue is not with the NFL, but that the group in Chicago putting this on sold this in as a low cost event. When in fact, it's an event that is going to absorb an enormous amount of city resources.

Ace Gunner
02-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Land of the FREE Stuff for Corporations!!! Creates yobs, ya know..!!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=134&pictureid=1230

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-08-2015, 09:56 AM
That cherry on top of the Goodell Shit Sundae would be the NFL losing their tax exempt status and antitrust exemption.

chiefzilla1501
02-08-2015, 10:05 AM
That cherry on top of the Goodell Shit Sundae would be the NFL losing their tax exempt status and antitrust exemption.

Actually, what would be even more hilarious is if the $44M man loses tax exempt status not only for the NFL, but for all sports leagues. NFL fans hate Goodell. I hope that NHL fans can learn to hate him too. Most unpopular commissioner in both United States and now Canada!

Ace Gunner
02-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Not gonna happen. They scratch each other's backs. NFL is a well oiled militant propaganda machine.

notorious
02-08-2015, 10:10 AM
It would be awesome if Chicago told them to pound sand.

the Talking Can
02-08-2015, 10:11 AM
http://www.oudaily.com/blogs/we-want-it-chunky-and-other-gems-from-jack-white/article_e6b4f946-a804-11e4-a216-4bdde136d4fa.html

And (Jack) White’s not messing around. According to the contract, “We don’t want to see bananas anywhere in the building.”

Here are some other tidbits from his contract:

• While the local wardrobe personnel for the tour must provide an iron and ironing board, the White’s tour will provide Jiffy brand steamer for wardrobe needs.

• Hospitality for the performance must be set up and ready to go prior to the tour group’s arrival, with the exception of alcohol and deli/cheese platters. Those can wait. It’s a different story for the 36 bottles of spring water, four bottles of fresh juice smoothies, 1 pound of “freshly sliced, high-quality prosciutto and aged salami with a sharp knife,” though—all for White’s dressing room.

• The band’s dressing room requires “FRESH HOME-MADE GUACAMOLE.” They even included a recipe, and these people know their guacamole. The recipe is included in full below (just in time for a Jack White-themed Super Bowl party):

Ace Gunner
02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Jack White works for a living. He can ask for whatever the fuck he wants.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-08-2015, 10:25 AM
http://www.oudaily.com/blogs/we-want-it-chunky-and-other-gems-from-jack-white/article_e6b4f946-a804-11e4-a216-4bdde136d4fa.html

Musicians are known for that. OU will probably never see a headliner again.

GloucesterChief
02-08-2015, 10:28 AM
IIRC, I believe it was Van Halen who put nonsense stuff in their contract to make sure that the people setting everything up actually read the contract. If they showed up and the nonsense stuff wasn't there then they knew someone didn't read the contract and it is a good possibility that the technical stuff wasn't set up right.

tk13
02-08-2015, 10:33 AM
That's what I thought too. My understanding was some of these bands make strange demands just to see if the local crew is competent.

ping2000
02-08-2015, 10:39 AM
It would be awesome if Chicago told them to pound sand.

The only thing Chicago is going to do is suck the NFL's cock.

Red Beans
02-08-2015, 10:40 AM
May is a damned fine month to be in the mid west.

Or working on a prison roof in Maine.

Especially with a bucket of suds. Makes you feel more like a man.

Discuss Thrower
02-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Can't understand why they'd want to block traffic for three weeks.

notorious
02-08-2015, 11:34 AM

No doubt.

Titty Meat
02-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Churches should be taxed too. Let's take this baby to DC!

Easy 6
02-08-2015, 11:40 AM

LMAO thats the truth of the matter.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Especially with a bucket of suds. Makes you feel more like a man.

:clap: finally.