PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Otis Taylor

gblowfish
02-08-2015, 12:12 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WyoVKrtVPXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties
02-08-2015, 12:13 PM
FU to the douchebag who took the original video and put Wagner on it.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XyKOuTwXKD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gblowfish
02-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Kill the Wabbit...

Rain Man
02-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Otis Taylor should be a required topic in every high school.

To a great degree, Otis is why I became a Chiefs fan.

stevieray
02-08-2015, 04:24 PM
ah, the one handed grabs...!!! every kid I knew tried to imitate him catching passes!

Lenny's ball placement was off the charts!

stevieray
02-08-2015, 04:26 PM
....at Maloneys on Metcalf

mikey23545
02-08-2015, 04:45 PM
ah, the one handed grabs...!!! every kid I knew tried to imitate him catching passes!

Lenny's ball placement was off the charts!

May all you snot-nosed little noobs watch and learn what an incredible team a laser-targeted QB and sticky-fingered route-running legend can be...

mikey23545
02-08-2015, 05:01 PM
If you youngsters wonder why the Chiefs and Raiders hated each other over the years, watch this brawl from the Todd Blackledge days when the blood still ran hot between these two teams...It seems like it goes on for half an hour... ROFL

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VVGgm2aHa60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
02-08-2015, 05:16 PM
If you youngsters wonder why the Chiefs and Raiders hated each other over the years, watch this brawl from the Todd Blackledge days when the blood still ran hot between these two teams...It seems like it goes on for half an hour... ROFL

Long and Millen were two of the dirtiest players ever, along with that never-was McElroy. It galls me to see Long's putrid lying cheating face on TV these days. I hope the Raiders never win another game ever.

stevieray
02-08-2015, 05:20 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VVGgm2aHa60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Millen jawing at Eatman..ya good luck with that, Matt.

Kman34
02-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Otis had the biggest shoulder pads I have ever seen on a receiver. I always wondered how he could get his arms above his head.

stevieray
02-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Otis had the biggest shoulder pads I have ever seen on a receiver. I always wondered how he could get his arms above his head.

...and a small helmet!

really like the big Arrowheads on the old helmets!

mikey23545
02-08-2015, 06:08 PM
...and a small helmet!

really like the big Arrowheads on the old helmets!

Abso-f'n-lutely!

mikey23545
02-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Long and Mullen were two of the dirtiest players ever, along with that never-was McElroy. It galls me to see Long's putrid lying cheating face on TV these days. I hope the Raiders never win another game ever.

"Their names may not be spoken or inferred in my dwelling!!!"

KChiefs1
02-08-2015, 06:18 PM
He is one of the reasons I became a Chiefs fan.

gblowfish
02-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Two things: One, look how much separation Taylor has on most of those catches. He's wide, wide open. On others plays where he's covered, he used his size to adjust to the ball, shield the defender and pull it down. Second, he was a load to bring down. He got massive YAC before anybody knew the value of YAC.

That one handed catch he made over Pat Fisher of the Redskins happened right in front of me. I was in the end zone in the Huddle Club in old Municipal Stadium. That was the first year we played NFC teams as part of the regular season schedule. We beat the Redskins in KC, and that was a big, big deal.

Taylor's contemporaries in his day were Alworth, Maynard, and Biletnikoff. All three of those guys (all white) are in the Pro Football HOF. Taylor was the first big, fast, graceful wide receiver in the AFL. Without Taylor, Dawson doesn't get close to making the HOF. He should be in. No doubt about it.

gblowfish
02-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Millen jawing at Eatman..ya good luck with that, Matt.

I was at this game, remember it well. Blackledge was a suck QB, but he wasn't a pussy.

displacedinMN
02-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Those that forget history are destined to repeat it.
(or something like that)

Thanks for the history lesson.
Love to see that old stuff.

BigRedChief
02-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Otis Taylor should be a required topic in every high school.

To a great degree, Otis is why I became a Chiefs fan.Yep, watching Leeny the cool throwing to Otis Taylor made me a Chiefs fan.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I loved Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy on NBC's telecast

mikey23545
02-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Two things: One, look how much separation Taylor has on most of those catches. He's wide, wide open. On others plays where he's covered, he used his size to adjust to the ball, shield the defender and pull it down. Second, he was a load to bring down. He got massive YAC before anybody knew the value of YAC.

That one handed catch he made over Pat Fisher of the Redskins happened right in front of me. I was in the end zone in the Huddle Club in old Municipal Stadium. That was the first year we played NFC teams as part of the regular season schedule. We beat the Redskins in KC, and that was a big, big deal.

Taylor's contemporaries in his day were Alworth, Maynard, and Biletnikoff. All three of those guys (all white) are in the Pro Football HOF. Taylor was the first big, fast, graceful wide receiver in the AFL. Without Taylor, Dawson doesn't get close to making the HOF. He should be in. No doubt about it.

That may still be my all time favorite Otis Taylor catch...

cdcox
02-08-2015, 11:12 PM
The Redskins were 6-0 at the time and that catch was the game winner. I remember listening to that play on the radio in my grandma's basement. The game was blacked out in KC.

Rain Man
02-08-2015, 11:23 PM
The Redskins were 6-0 at the time and that catch was the game winner. I remember listening to that play on the radio in my grandma's basement. The game was blacked out in KC.

The Redskins also had Charley Taylor, who was the closest thing the NFL had to Otis. Charley, like Alworth, Maynard, and that cheating fraud biletnikoff (lack of capitalization intentional) are all in the Hall of Fame. Otis is the only great AFL receiver being excluded. (I know Charley wasn't AFL, but I was on a roll.)

Al Czervik
02-09-2015, 12:17 AM
I was at this game, remember it well. Blackledge was a suck QB, but he wasn't a pussy.

This....Love how he got in McElroy's face in that game....

EPodolak
02-09-2015, 02:41 AM
Love seeing that vid.

One Saturday back in '72 or so Otis and Buck were signing autographs at different locations in KC, just before we moved away out of state. My dad offered to drive me to see one or the other. I ended up picking Buck at Macy's on Mission Dr. It was a hard Sophie's Choice for a 7 year old. Otis was pure cool, the guy we all pretended to be.

EPodolak
02-09-2015, 02:55 AM

I'd go ahead and put Paul Warfield on that list. A smaller version of Otis, also in the HOF.

scho63
02-09-2015, 05:53 AM
Amazingly Otis Taylor is everything Dwayne Bowe WISHES he could be but never was!

Also loved looking at the goal posts in the middle of the end zone.

Marcellus
02-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Taylor was awesome, that video also show cases how good Dawson was as well.

KChiefs1
02-09-2015, 09:38 AM
That may still be my all time favorite Otis Taylor catch...

I can think of one better that set my whole house shaking!

I remember an end around vs the 49ers on MNF in 1971 that was fantastic too. His best game that I saw was the 1969 regular season game in NYC vs the Jets at Shea Stadium.

mikey23545
02-09-2015, 09:42 AM
Taylor was awesome, that video also show cases how good Dawson was as well.

Yep.

It's an Otis Taylor highlight film, but notice how many balls hit him right in stride.

Great receiver AND great quarterback...

gblowfish
02-09-2015, 09:53 AM
I'd go ahead and put Paul Warfield on that list. A smaller version of Otis, also in the HOF.

Warfield started in Cleveland in the NFL before going to Miami. So he wasn't an AFL original like Taylor. And, if you ever read the recruiting story on how Lloyd Wells was able to sign Taylor, they had to hide him out from NFL scouts. Real cloak and dagger stuff.

mikey23545
02-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Warfield started in Cleveland in the NFL before going to Miami. So he wasn't an AFL original like Taylor. And, if you ever read the recruiting story on how Lloyd Wells was able to sign Taylor, they had to hide him out from NFL scouts. Real cloak and dagger stuff.

I think he sneaked Otis out of a hotel window in the middle of the night to get get away from an NFL recruiter at one point?..is that that the story?...

Dave Lane
02-09-2015, 10:42 AM
FU to the douchebag who took the original video and put Wagner on it.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XyKOuTwXKD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What the fuck is the matter with Len Dawson in that video?! Otis Taylor was covered by a CB sometimes within 10 yards of him and more than 7 yards downfield. Madness. There was a time for crazy plays like that in Chiefs kingdom, but no more.

gblowfish
02-09-2015, 11:59 AM
I think he sneaked Otis out of a hotel window in the middle of the night to get get away from an NFL recruiter at one point?..is that that the story?...

Yes, they were hiding him out from the NFL guys, and had to sneak him out of his hotel room.

RippedmyFlesh
02-09-2015, 12:22 PM
That may still be my all time favorite catch...

fyp

RippedmyFlesh
02-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Taylor was the Megatron of his time. Ridiculous size/strength, speed for a receiver back then. The Washington game was nationally televised so yea it was a big deal Rainman.
No 5yard rule back the db's assaulted wrs back then.

chefsos
02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
No 5yard rule back the db's assaulted wrs back then.No gloves, either. I don't know if Otis used Stickum, though.

mikey23545
02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Taylor was the Megatron of his time. Ridiculous size/strength, speed for a receiver back then. The Washington game was nationally televised so yea it was a big deal Rainman.
No 5yard rule back the db's assaulted wrs back then.

Yep. I live in Florida so everytime I got to see a Chiefs game as a yout' it was a great thrill. That one especially so because the Skins were undefeated and part of the old NFL and the Chiefs were 6-1 or 5-1, I forget. When Taylor made that catch me and my little brother nearly tore the living room apart. My Mom came in the living room to see what the hell was going on... ROFL

That AFL-NFL rivalry was still burning brightly in those days!

mikey23545
02-09-2015, 02:36 PM
That play with Fisher and Taylor had another angle captured on film where you could clearly see Fisher holding Taylor's other arm and Taylor reaching up to make that magnificent one handed grab with the other...

Scooter LaCanforno
02-09-2015, 04:19 PM
That play with Fisher and Taylor had another angle captured on film where you could clearly see Fisher holding Taylor's other arm and Taylor reaching up to make that magnificent one handed grab with the other...

I remember that game. Dawson was 1-10 with negative yards in the first half. He threw for 287 yards and 3 TD's in the second half.