PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Fruit Trees

Buzz
02-09-2015, 10:36 PM
I have no trees, lost my only maple about two years ago. Thought about planting a couple of fruit trees but they seem to be about the ugliest tree you can put in a yard. I have a big yard both front and back, anyone?

In58men
02-09-2015, 10:37 PM
I've always wanted an avocado tree lol. I can eat guacamole everyday.

Bugeater
02-09-2015, 10:39 PM
AIDS tree.

In58men
02-09-2015, 10:40 PM
AIDS tree.

Dumb

eDave
02-09-2015, 10:42 PM
You will have more fruit than you know what to do with. Your friends and family will grow to hate you and you will be invited over less and less often because every time you show up, you have a ****ing bag of fruit for them.

Do not recommend.

Buzz
02-09-2015, 10:43 PM
and yes, sauto got me thinking about putting in fruit trees.

In58men
02-09-2015, 10:44 PM
You will have more fruit than you know what to do with. Your friends and family will grow to hate you and you will be invited over less and less often because every time you show up, you have a ****ing bag of fruit for them.

Do not recommend.

Unless it's an avocado tree

Buzz
02-09-2015, 10:45 PM
AIDS tree.

let me know how it tastes.

In58men
02-09-2015, 10:45 PM
let me know how it tastes.

Nothing like avocados

eDave
02-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Nothing like avocados

You ever tried pomegranate with guacamole? Tasty.

Buzz
02-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Do not recommend.

Um, you apparently have never met the family. They don't invite me, I invite them.

In58men
02-09-2015, 10:50 PM
You ever tried pomegranate with guacamole? Tasty.

Never, but I will.

Buzz
02-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Nothing like avocados

I don't think avocados grow in Missouri do they?

In58men
02-09-2015, 10:53 PM
I don't think avocados grow in Missouri do they?

You can grow that shit anywhere. Buy some seeds and do work

eDave
02-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Um, you apparently have never met the family. They don't invite me, I invite them.

Just don't get two of the same. Do fruit trees do well out there?

TribalElder
02-09-2015, 10:59 PM
I have two peach trees but they haven't been putting out yet

Rain Man
02-09-2015, 11:00 PM
We have an apple tree, a plum tree, and a pear tree in our yard, and they're all quite attractive. The apple tree is about 20 years old and produces about 40 tons of apples per year. The plum tree just started producing and is about 10 years old. It's produced maybe a dozen or two plums the last couple of years, but the squirrels have gotten nearly every one of them. The pear tree is only about five years old and isn't producing fruit yet.

If you're after pure looks, we have a crabapple tree that's a real looker. It's gorgeous in the spring with white blossoms.

Silock
02-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Do fruit trees even survive the winter around here?

kcxiv
02-09-2015, 11:05 PM
I have 2 cherry trees, 1 pomegranate, 1 plume tree and 1 nectarine tree.

Buzz
02-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Just don't get two of the same. Do fruit trees do well out there?

No idea, kinda why I asked.

Simply Red
02-09-2015, 11:07 PM
this thread will obtain 100 posts believe it or not - lots of growers here on CP - just watch. I know my friends well ya'll.

Buzz
02-09-2015, 11:08 PM
We have an apple tree, a plum tree, and a pear tree in our yard, and they're all quite attractive. The apple tree is about 20 years old and produces about 40 tons of apples per year. The plum tree just started producing and is about 10 years old. It's produced maybe a dozen or two plums the last couple of years, but the squirrels have gotten nearly every one of them. The pear tree is only about five years old and isn't producing fruit yet.

If you're after pure looks, we have a crabapple tree that's a real looker. It's gorgeous in the spring with white blossoms.

Enjoy the crabapple pie, no thanks.

Lonewolf Ed
02-09-2015, 11:09 PM
I live on 10 acres and should have planted an orchard long ago, but I do have a pear tree and two peach trees that produce wonderfully. The peach trees are the newbies, and while still small, I do manage to get a few peaches. I had one late last season that was hiding amongst the leaves, and it was pure heaven biting into that succulent fruit. I have three cherry trees and one honey crisp apple tree, and lost a pear tree and another apple tree to disease.

It is maddening to see squirrels pillaging away at my trees, but even getting a few fruits from them makes it all worth the effort.

Buzz
02-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Do fruit trees even survive the winter around here?

That's why I asked?

Buzz
02-09-2015, 11:10 PM

Let me know how they do in the Midwest...

Silock
02-09-2015, 11:12 PM
That's why I asked?

No, I'm with you. I've thought about this before.

eDave
02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
That's why I asked?

Perhaps talk to a gardener. They'll know what does well there. Apple for sure.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.nixa-lawn-service.com/best-fruit-trees-for-missouri/

My quip about too much fruit is driven by the fact that close to 75% of homes in Phoenix have orange, lemon or grapefruit trees. Fruit everywhere.

Buzz
02-09-2015, 11:15 PM
I live on 10 acres and should have planted an orchard long ago, but I do have a pear tree and two peach trees that produce wonderfully. The peach trees are the newbies, and while still small, I do manage to get a few peaches. I had one late last season that was hiding amongst the leaves, and it was pure heaven biting into that succulent fruit. I have three cherry trees and one honey crisp apple tree, and lost a pear tree and another apple tree to disease.

It is maddening to see squirrels pillaging away at my trees, but even getting a few fruits from them makes it all worth the effort.

Rep / best post so far. How old are the trees and do they look like a saggy apple tree as in not pleasing to the eye.

TribalElder
02-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Just walked out and looked at the peach trees I planted a few years ago and they are tall as fuck

I need to prune them

Yes they survive the winter

Buzz
02-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Perhaps talk to a gardener. They'll know what does well there. Apple for sure.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.nixa-lawn-service.com/best-fruit-trees-for-missouri/

My quip about too much fruit is driven by the fact that close to 75% of homes in Phoenix have orange, lemon or grapefruit trees. Fruit everywhere.

I actually pulled that site up today, didn't have a chance to look through it.

Chief_For_Life58
02-09-2015, 11:20 PM
https://lawrencefruittreeproject.wordpress.com/fruit-tree-possibilities/recommended-fruit-plants/

This link has some good info on fruit trees for ks. I stumbled upon it when i was contemplating planting some for deer

Just Passin' By
02-09-2015, 11:22 PM
I highly recommend fruit trees to people who ask about them. I've had them at a lot of the places I've lived throughout my life, and they're a great way to get 'free' healthy food. At my current home, I've got cherry trees, apple trees, pear trees and plum trees. They're all dwarf varieties.

I'll be adding nut trees either this summer or next, and I'll probably be adding some more fruit trees, as well. If you're going to have trees on your property, you might as well get some production out of them.

TribalElder
02-09-2015, 11:23 PM
http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all

kccrow
02-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Do your research on cross-pollination and various fruit trees. You need two apple trees in relative proximity for pollination. Doesn't mean you have to plant 2 if someone nearby has one. Apples usually only yield heavily every other year, so most people plant two trees and stagger the planting by a year or something similar.

Could go with decorative fruits like a flowering crab or something. Look good, the squirrels can eat, and you get to clean up the remaining mess.

Lonewolf Ed
02-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Rep / best post so far. How old are the trees and do they look like a saggy apple tree as in not pleasing to the eye.

The pear tree is probably 15 years old and my peach trees are 4 years old. There is one large apple tree providing a bit of a wind block for the garden, and it produces very sour green apples, but they make good mulch in the garden. It's not a pretty tree, and it has lost some branches over the years, but I like the old girl anyway.

In the spring, the cherry trees are gorgeous with their white and pink blossoms. I just wish I liked cherries more. The ones I am growing are rather tart. I do want to get another pear and apple tree to replace the ones I lost. I hope I have enough strength in the spring to dig the holes for the trees. I'm working on it and it is a goal, so time will tell.

Thanks, by the way!

Lonewolf Ed
02-09-2015, 11:39 PM
If pecan trees did as well in Kansas as in Texas, I'd have planted 10 or 15 of them years ago.

kcxiv
02-10-2015, 01:14 AM
Let me know how they do in the Midwest...

Couldn't tell ya I'm in nor cal. We get awesome fruit every year.

stumppy
02-10-2015, 06:14 AM
My ex inlaws , in Philly, had spliced an apple an pear tree together. Pretty cool to see two different types of trees growing together. The pears looked and tasted ok, with a little hint of apple flavor, the apples looked just fine but they tasted like the were about 90% pear. Not a good flavor, not bad but not what you would hope for. That was back in the early 80's, haven't seen any spliced fruit trees since.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Apricot and Plum trees FTW.

Simply Red
02-10-2015, 09:44 AM
and yes, sauto got me thinking about putting in fruit trees.

That was very sweet of him.

tooge
02-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I have no trees, lost my only maple about two years ago. Thought about planting a couple of fruit trees but they seem to be about the ugliest tree you can put in a yard. I have a big yard both front and back, anyone?

I started a small orchard about 10 years ago. I plant a new tree each fall. Plum trees are not ugly, and the plums are delicious. Cherry trees are a mess, as are apples and peaches and pears.

Iowanian
02-10-2015, 10:47 AM
I have 10 mature fruit trees, apple, pears and peaches, and a handful of grape vines.

This fall I planted 16-17 new fruit trees, more apples, peaches, apricots, cherries, pears and plumbs. I'm going to likely add 4-5 grapes of another variety and am considering adding some blueberry and raspberry bushes.
Like Tooge, I plan to add a handful each year, so they'll be mature as others are damaged or dying. Pruning is a pain in the ass, I'm still trying to learn how to do it.

I'm somewhat seriously considering planting 5-10 acres of an alternative crop, be it grapes, aronia berries. I'm also considering planting that to an apple/peach orchard but I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

As for "too much fruit"...c'mon...I have caught Amish trying to steal mine....people always want it. You can sell it at a farmer's market, share with friends, let people pick by the bucket. I've hosted preschool classes and made cider for them, we make jam, apple sauce, pie filling, cider and I dehydrate quite a bit for snacks.

I'm sure I'll get tired of it at some point, but in a couple of years I'll be picking sweet cherries in June and something new about every month until November.

Fire Me Boy!
02-10-2015, 11:08 AM
I had a plum and a peach tree and cut them both down this year. If you're not really dedicated to picking all that fruit, it's a royal pain to clean up.

Fire Me Boy!
02-10-2015, 11:09 AM
My ex inlaws , in Philly, had spliced an apple an pear tree together. Pretty cool to see two different types of trees growing together. The pears looked and tasted ok, with a little hint of apple flavor, the apples looked just fine but they tasted like the were about 90% pear. Not a good flavor, not bad but not what you would hope for. That was back in the early 80's, haven't seen any spliced fruit trees since.

https://www.fruitsaladtrees.com/

Iowanian
02-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Where I'm at, the deer will keep things off the ground as fast as they fall if I don't work to keep them out.

I had a plum and a peach tree and cut them both down this year. If you're not really dedicated to picking all that fruit, it's a royal pain to clean up.

Fire Me Boy!
02-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Where I'm at, the deer will keep things off the ground as fast as they fall if I don't work to keep them out.

Yeah, I could see that. The deer don't come around much since I'm inside city limits.

Rausch
02-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Cherry trees can also be very beautiful when blooming and wasted fruit isn't as much of an issue like with other trees.

If you have a big apple tree and they fall to the ground it's a pain in the ass to mow grass, walk around, etc.

Cherries, not so much. Small, easy for nature to clean up, and you won't sprain your ankle if you step on one without seeing it...

Rausch
02-10-2015, 11:37 AM
https://lawrencefruittreeproject.wordpress.com/fruit-tree-possibilities/recommended-fruit-plants/

This link has some good info on fruit trees for ks. I stumbled upon it when i was contemplating planting some for deer

I'll probably buy some dwarf trees from here this spring...

http://www.starkbros.com/

Bob Dole
02-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Cherry trees can also be very beautiful when blooming and wasted fruit isn't as much of an issue like with other trees.

If you have a big apple tree and they fall to the ground it's a pain in the ass to mow grass, walk around, etc.

Cherries, not so much. Small, easy for nature to clean up, and you won't sprain your ankle if you step on one without seeing it...

Hell, the birds took care of all the berries in Bob Dole's tree in KC, unless Bob Dole hung tin pie plates to keep them away.

Just Passin' By
02-10-2015, 12:51 PM
The pear tree is probably 15 years old and my peach trees are 4 years old. There is one large apple tree providing a bit of a wind block for the garden, and it produces very sour green apples, but they make good mulch in the garden. It's not a pretty tree, and it has lost some branches over the years, but I like the old girl anyway.

In the spring, the cherry trees are gorgeous with their white and pink blossoms. I just wish I liked cherries more. The ones I am growing are rather tart. I do want to get another pear and apple tree to replace the ones I lost. I hope I have enough strength in the spring to dig the holes for the trees. I'm working on it and it is a goal, so time will tell.

Thanks, by the way!

Have you tried planting cherry bushes for some different cherry flavors that might be more up your alley? I did that a couple of years ago, but the deer and rabbits like them so much that they killed the bushes. I'll be trying it again this year, with some protection for the bushes.

Oxford
02-10-2015, 01:03 PM

I have 2 Cherry trees, beautiful in the spring when they flower. To get fruit you need to spray for fungus and insects during the fruiting season (Apr-Jun). When cherries are ready to pick you need to get them within 10 days. After that the fly-in-restaurant crowd will get what ever remains. Call your county extension agent to find what varieties work for your area and if they need a pollinator. As shade trees go, I would plant a Sycamore or London plane tree if you have a large yard, preferably on the west exposure of your yard (block the summer sun).

I've never had any luck with peach trees (fruit always rots), have had some nice Fuji apples though.

Iowanian
02-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Stark bros is where I bought my last batch. I am happy with them and they routinely put out usable information with a smattering of subtle sales pitch.

I'll probably buy some dwarf trees from here this spring...

http://www.starkbros.com/