PDA

View Full Version : Life Debate Over Running While High

Nzoner
02-10-2015, 09:47 AM
From The Wall Street Journal

Dude,where's my running shoes (http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-debate-over-running-while-high-1423500590?tesla=y)

Here's a small part of the story rest is in the link.

Unusually candid about his marijuana usage is Collins. During a typical week at his home in Steamboat Springs, Colo., Collins runs approximately 150 miles and consumes marijuana four or five times. He doesn’t smoke the plant; instead he eats marijuana-laced food, inhales it as water vapor and rubs a marijuana-infused balm onto his legs.

Collins is no back-of-the-pack stoner. In 2014, his first year as a full-time professional runner, he won five ultramarathons. His third-place finish at the Fat Dog 120, a well-known 120-mile race in British Columbia, was the top American result.

ChiliConCarnage
02-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Those ultramarathon people are crazy. That has to be awful for you physically

kepp
02-10-2015, 09:59 AM
The longest distance week I had last year while marathon training was between 55 and 60 miles. I can't imagine doing 150 a week. CRAZY

TribalElder
02-10-2015, 10:00 AM
That is crazy shit

Ace Gunner
02-10-2015, 10:51 AM
wow. let me know when the debate begins.

philfree
02-10-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm not a runner but when I work out I like to be high and before it's over it's like breaking on through the other side. Endorphin explosion.

ModSocks
02-10-2015, 11:07 AM
That's impressive.

I don't smoke until my day is over. The kid is in bed, my work is done etc because it makes me feel lazy.

I've been smoking for years and i've heard stories about how people like to be physically active while high.

Im not one of those people. If im going to smoke, it pretty much means that im going to do absolutely nothing for the next 2 hrs.

kepp
02-10-2015, 11:12 AM
I doubt there's been any actual scientific study on this. I know there are OTC medicines that you don't take when you're planning a tough workout. NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, specifically. They can give you liver or kidney failure if you have too much in your system during extremely intense workouts. And since your body has to filter out all drugs, I imagine there's an unsafe amount for marijuana as well.

saphojunkie
02-10-2015, 11:19 AM
My brother used to do that. Pretty much got him through his marathon.

My problem is that I become more intensely aware of my body. It's like the exact opposite for what I need to go on a long run.

Now, lifting weights...:hmmm:

kepp
02-10-2015, 11:20 AM

My problem is that I become more intensely aware of my body. It's like the exact opposite for what I need to go on a long run.

I'm thinking heavy lifting while high would be unsafe

ROYC75
02-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Awh schucks, he'sjust wanting to take the high road.

Nzoner
02-10-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking heavy lifting while high would be unsafe

No shit,no bench presses for me.

redfan
02-10-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm for it. But running an ultra marathon? Fuck that noise. The original marathoner died after he was done.

Rain Man
02-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Ultra is a weird sport. I've run a couple of races that also had ultras, and you can't really tell those people apart from the people like me who run shorter races. I would expect them to all be lean little whippets of people, but they're not. They pretty much look like normal folk.

That said, I've run a couple of races with Mario Macias, who is different. (When I say "run with", he disappears over the horizon in the first 90 seconds.) Man, when you see that guy run, you know that you're seeing a runner. In one race that I was in, he was below a 1:03 for a half-marathon. It was a downhill race, but it was also at 8,000 feet, and he was below a 1:03.

Jimmya
02-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Crazy a** people!

KC native
02-10-2015, 02:08 PM

Yes, I get stoned before I go lift. I love it.

phisherman
02-10-2015, 02:16 PM

I have noticed this too. I'm not a fan. My brain also goes a million miles per hour, whereas normally when I'm running my brain really kinda shuts off.

philfree
02-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Yes, I get stoned before I go lift. I love it.

I work out at home so there are times that in-between sets or different exercises that I'll stop and take hit along with a drink of water. I'm not really doing any heavy lifting though. Or when I'm done with the resistance training I'll do it before I get on the treadmill. These days I'm on the 5:00 rule though so if I workout in the morning it's a no go.

Brock
02-10-2015, 02:39 PM
That's impressive.

I don't smoke until my day is over. The kid is in bed, my work is done etc because it makes me feel lazy.

I've been smoking for years and i've heard stories about how people like to be physically active while high.

Im not one of those people. If im going to smoke, it pretty much means that im going to do absolutely nothing for the next 2 hrs.

I'm exactly the opposite. I start noticing things that need to be done and start doing it. At the very least I will have to fidget with my guitar.

KC native
02-10-2015, 03:31 PM
I work out at home so there are times that in-between sets or different exercises that I'll stop and take hit along with a drink of water. I'm not really doing any heavy lifting though. Or when I'm done with the resistance training I'll do it before I get on the treadmill. These days I'm on the 5:00 rule though so if I workout in the morning it's a no go.

I hate to run. I don't like to smoke before doing heavy cardio (which I almost never do anymore so wooo).

philfree
02-10-2015, 05:47 PM
I hate to run. I don't like to smoke before doing heavy cardio (which I almost never do anymore so wooo).

I don't run either IMO after a certain point you're just beating yourself up. All you have to do is walk. Incline!