PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Meet your 1963 Kansas City Chiefs

gblowfish
02-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Found this old Chiefs promo film on You Tube. Pretty interesting stuff. Merle Harmon was one of the first play by play guys for the Chiefs in KC -kinda like the 1963 version of Mitch Houlthaus. You see lots of players who are on the ring of honor at Arrowhead that you may have never seen before, like Burford, McClinton, Haynes and Arbanas. Pretty cool. A lot of the plays are plays the Chiefs still run today, like Jet sweeps, quick outs to the boundary and...believe it or not...actual TD passes to wide outs. Gosh, if we could just figure out how to do that now! Also check the end zone, how the old right field wall of Municipal Stadium runs right behind the end zone line. Easy to go head first into the wall, no padding! Those guys were tough then. 20 minutes, enjoy!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VJqwMcYo_Ek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane
02-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Very cool find!

Rain Man
02-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Ooh, I want to watch this once I leave work.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-13-2015, 07:43 PM
ABNER HAYNES, BITCHES!

kc rush
02-13-2015, 08:34 PM
That was cool.

stonedstooge
02-13-2015, 09:42 PM
I wonder if I was watching. I would have been 4 years old.

chefsos
02-14-2015, 12:42 AM
My takeaways from watching this:

Curtis McClinton was a damn beast. He looked bigger than everyone.

And Dawson completed A REMARKABLE 54% OF HIS THROWS

milkman
02-14-2015, 09:08 AM
My takeaways from watching this:

Curtis McClinton was a damn beast. He looked bigger than everyone.

And Dawson completed A REMARKABLE 54% OF HIS THROWS

Completely different era.

Defenses were actually allowed to play defense.
DBs were allowed to mug receivers until the ball was in the air.
O-Linemen were not allowed to use their hands, so it was easier to pressure and hit the QB.

Johnny Unitas, the greatest QB ever to most observers until Montana, completed less than 55% of his passes for his entire career, and he never completed more than 60% in a single season.

This watered down product that the NFL has created with the rules to enhance offense isn't nearly as fun to watch.

Simply Red
02-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Ooh, I want to watch this once I leave work.

Don't you own the company? :shrug:

chefsos
02-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Completely different era.

Defenses were actually allowed to play defense.
DBs were allowed to mug receivers until the ball was in the air.
O-Linemen were not allowed to use their hands, so it was easier to pressure and hit the QB.

Johnny Unitas, the greatest QB ever to most observers until Montana, completed less than 55% of his passes for his entire career, and he never completed more than 60% in a single season.

This watered down product that the NFL has created with the rules to enhance offense isn't nearly as fun to watch.I just found the quote by the narrator funny.

But yeah, all of that is true; it's just a different game. And I'll add one more for you: I think the super clutchy gloves that receivers use now have a huge impact on completion percentage. I don't know this to be fact, but I'd probably bet that the ball itself is of a different texture than the one Dawson and the others had as well.