PDA

View Full Version : Misc States and bias

TimBone
02-15-2015, 07:34 PM
A couple of posts in my well thought, well planned, awesome ice cream thread got me thinking.

Each state has stuff for which they are famous. It could be a city. It could be a food. It could be anything. And most of the time, the residents of this state make that place/food/thing out to be better than it is in reality.

So, what are some things in your state/city that everybody clamors over that you just don't share the love for?

Or what are some things you've traveled to other states for because of how famous it was, and were thoroughly disappointed?

I'll start by saying I'm a proud Texan, and Whataburger is fucking average at best.

And to all you Whataburger defenders out there: Don't come in here telling me that I'm just going to the wrong one. I grew up in the state, and I've eaten at like seven of them. I couldn't have randomly ended up at the seven worst Whataburgers in the state. The other excuse I always hear is that you have to eat it when you're drunk, because that's when it's best. Fuck that. You know why you say that? Because all greasy food is good while you're drunk. Whataburger is average. Get over it.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 07:35 PM
I also wanted to share a story about Louisiana:

I work and live in Louisiana. I had no idea how proud of their state some of these people were until I moved here. There was one young guy in particular that sticks out. He came to train in our control tower a couple of years ago. You could barely carry a conversation in the room without him somehow relating the topic of conversation to Louisiana and how great it is. "The swamps are prettier than mountains. The Crawfish are tastier than lobster. New Orleans is the best city in the world." Shit like that. He would spout this kind of stuff non stop. It grew to be very irritating, very quickly.

His last month here, a group of us were having a conversation in the tower about soda. I mentioned cream soda, and he immediately lit up. "Hey Tim, you want to try a great cream soda? You've got to try Big Shot Cream Soda. Straight out of New Orleans. Best cream soda in the world!" Well, I had finally had enough. After months of hearing this kids bias drivel, I finally blew up. I looked at him and loudly said, "Shut the fuck up, dude. I'm tired of hearing this shit. Something being from Louisiana doesn't make it any better than something from anywhere else. In fact, most of the shit here fucking sucks. This whole state pretty much fucking sucks." He looked a little hurt, but shrugged it off. We all continued our conversation, and about a month later the dude was gone.

A week after he left, I happened upon a Big Shot Cream Soda in a local convenience store.

It was the best fucking cream soda I have ever tasted.

SAUTO
02-15-2015, 07:36 PM

I work and live in Louisiana. I had no idea how proud of their state some of these people were until I moved here. There was one young guy in particular that sticks out. He came to train in our control tower a couple of years ago. You could barely carry a conversation in the room without him somehow relating the topic of conversation to Louisiana and how great it is. "The swamps are prettier than mountains. The Crawfish are tastier than lobster. New Orleans is the best city in the world." Shit like that. He would spout this kind of stuff non stop. It grew to be very irritating, very quickly.

His last month here, a group of us were having a conversation in the tower about soda. I mentioned cream soda, and he immediately lit up. "Hey Tim, you want to try a great cream soda? You've got to try Big Shot Cream Soda. Straight out of New Orleans. Best cream soda in the world!" Well, I had finally had enough. After months of hearing this kids bias drivel, I finally blew up. I looked at him and loudly said, "Shut the fuck up, dude. I'm tired of hearing this shit. Something being from Louisiana doesn't make it any better than something from anywhere else. In fact, most of the shit here fucking sucks. This whole state pretty much fucking sucks." He looked a little hurt, but shrugged it off. We all continued our conversation, and about a month later the dude was gone.

A week after he left, I happened upon a Big Shot Cream Soda in a local convenience store.

ROFL

Why Not?
02-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Most Mexican food here in AZ is garbage.

Rain Man
02-15-2015, 07:38 PM
When I was in Missouri, I never understood why toasted ravioli was viewed with such pride. I've tasted a thousand other Italian things that tasted just like it.

When I was in Texas...don't even get me started on the barbecue.

In Colorado, I don't understand skiing. It's cold, the boots hurt, you spend a majority of your time getting up the mountain, and you have to drive in the mountains in snow to get there.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 07:40 PM
When I was in Missouri, I never understood why toasted ravioli was viewed with such pride. I've tasted a thousand other Italian things that tasted just like it.

In Colorado, I don't understand skiing. It's cold, the boots hurt, you spend a majority of your time getting up the mountain, and you have to drive in the mountains in snow to get there.
Yeah...after going to KC, I've got to say, they smash Texas BBQ.

srvy
02-15-2015, 07:55 PM
The Plaza Lights seen much better displays in other cities. In its day was great now its just bla.

Oh and White Castle.

In58men
02-15-2015, 07:59 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/309174e66cd3507e186e3c28b8c0c2c5.jpg

Dewars ice cream shop

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/4a095b089aed6342838256fe4ef1b0c3.jpg

Moo Creamery

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/720ca371a02a3687ea251ed0b2be54bc.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/7d0c0a700e44b9c972972d8a7c916f34.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/5204d1177a6b8d1289d3597876fcecb6.jpg

Lengthwise volcano or stinky fries are amazing. Also, they brew their own beers inside and you can only purchase them here. Great IPA's.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-15-2015, 08:00 PM
A couple of posts in my well thought, well planned, awesome ice cream thread got me thinking.

Each state has stuff for which they are famous. It could be a city. It could be a food. It could be anything. And most of the time, the residents of this state make that place/food/thing out to be better than it is in reality.

So, what are some things in your state/city that everybody clamors over that you just don't share the love for?

Or what are some things you've traveled to other states for because of how famous it was, and were thoroughly disappointed?

I'll start by saying I'm a proud Texan, and Whataburger is fucking average at best.

And to all you Whataburger defenders out there: Don't come in here telling me that I'm just going to the wrong one. I grew up in the state, and I've eaten at like seven of them. I couldn't have randomly ended up at the seven worst Whataburgers in the state. The other excuse I always hear is that you have to eat it when you're drunk, because that's when it's best. Fuck that. You know why you say that? Because all greasy food is good while you're drunk. Whataburger is average. Get over it.

I lived in Tucson. Whataburger sucks a fat dick.

Dallas Chief
02-15-2015, 08:01 PM

I spent the better part of the past 20 years in Texas and have to say that the BBQ is mostly garbage. I've had much better BBQ in Oklahoma, Memphis, several places in Arkansas, Birmingham, North Carolina, and of course Kansas City. Still haven't figured out the food scene in South Florida. Most of it is copy cat stuff from other parts of the country.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-15-2015, 08:02 PM

ROFL You're in my current top 5.

srvy
02-15-2015, 08:03 PM
I spent the better part of the past 20 years in Texas and have to say that the BBQ is mostly garbage. I've had much better BBQ in Oklahoma, Memphis, several places in Arkansas, Birmingham, North Carolina, and of course Kansas City. Still haven't figured out the food scene in South Florida. Most of it is copy cat stuff from other parts of the country.

Damn I work a lot in Tulsa amd OKC as we have offices there and have not found good bbq or sadly Mexican food.

Bugeater
02-15-2015, 08:05 PM
I ate at a Whataburger in Norman, OK in 1994 and thought it was fantastic. Never been to one since.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 08:07 PM
I ate at a Whataburger in Norman, OK in 1994 and thought it was fantastic. Never been to one since.
You're going to the wrong one.

Katipan
02-15-2015, 08:08 PM
The Vegas Strip is pretty boring after the first few nights.

The Santa Monica pier is a shit hole.

Scottsdale

Sweet corn - Swear to whomever, but Colorado has better sweet corn than famous Iowa... I know... ****ed up my world too.

Sully
02-15-2015, 08:08 PM

Whataburger burgers are meh.
Same thing for Five Guys (and their fries aren't the greatest thing in the world, either).

That said, Whataburger taquitos for breakfast were the only redeeming thing about living in Texas. I mean the only thing.

lewdog
02-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Most Mexican food here in AZ is garbage.

Definitely this!

TimBone
02-15-2015, 08:10 PM
What a burger burgers are meh.
Same thing for Five Guys (and their fries aren't the greatest thing in the world, either).

That saod, What a burger taquitos for breakfast were the only redeeming thing about living in Texas. I mean the only thing.
Did you not try Blue Bell?

Also, Whataburger does have a honey chicken breakfast biscuit that I have enjoyed. Never had the taquitos.

-King-
02-15-2015, 08:11 PM

ROFLROFLROFL

Sully
02-15-2015, 08:11 PM
And I'll fight to the death to defend Boulevard beer. Pale Ale and Irish Ale are the best.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 08:12 PM
ROFL You're in my current top 5.
That's 100% true, too. I usually don't explode on folks, but I had seriously heard enough from that dude.

I did find it amusing how much I enjoyed the soda, though. Even if he had still been with us, I never would have told him.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-15-2015, 08:13 PM
And I'll fight to the death to defend Boulevard beer. Pale Ale and Irish Ale are the best.

Irish Ale FTMFW!

Sully
02-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Irish Ale FTMFW!

Here's the problem I have with it, and it's all on me. I buy some, and never drink it, because I want to save it since it's seasonal. It always ends up sitting in a garage somewhere ruining.

I popped one a few weeks back, and I swear it'd been several years since I'd had one. I would have accepted death right then and there, if it had come mid-sip.

TrebMaxx
02-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Here in CoMo I would have to say Shakespeare's Pizza. It's not terrible but there are better pizza shops in town.

Bearcat
02-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Chocolate Ale, game managing QBs.

Discuss Thrower
02-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Mother's beer sucks outside of their seasonal coffee stout.

Mexican Villa is god the fuck awful.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Chocolate Ale, game managing QBs.

Oh, the Chocolate Ale is a good one. I remember the hype last year, and had to get a bottle. Mikeyis4dcats was nice enough to send me one. It was very average.

Bearcat
02-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Not a state, of course, but Thai boxing... supposed to be really popular and was highly recommended, but there were maybe 15 people there and it was pretty damn boring.

-King-
02-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Philly cheese steaks in Philly are overrated.

In n Out is good but overrated also. And their fries are trash.

srvy
02-15-2015, 08:32 PM

Double jalapeno and cheese is to die for.

srvy
02-15-2015, 08:39 PM
In and Out burgers. when working out west the crew only thing out there mouth when I ask where they want to lunch. Like lemmings the sing in unison In and Out. I drop them off and go find a taco stand.

In58men
02-15-2015, 08:39 PM

In and Out fries animal style with extra grilled onions >> regular fries

Dallas Chief
02-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Damn I work a lot in Tulsa amd OKC as we have offices there and have not found good bbq or sadly Mexican food.

Try Leo's BBQ at 36th and Kelley in OKC. Can't help you with Tulsa. That is one odd town when it comes to dining out. If you have the time on a trip to OKC try to make it to Eischen's Bar in Okarche. It's about a 45 min drive but the fried chicken is out of this world and worth the trouble. Try Ted's for Mexican food in OKC. Just ask around and somebody will be able to point you in the right direction.

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 10:05 PM
When I worked in San Antonio last September, I found the Mexican food underwhelming and was truly surprised. I found it to be the opposite, much better in Tuscan. Cali has good Mexican too.

Here, in Florida I guess I'd say I am not wild about grouper for a white fish due to the texture. It's not bad, but it's not like my beloved cold water New England seafood. Another is conch. Too chewy but I will eat it in conch fritters with Bahamian sauce.

I am not crazy about New England boiled dinners that we had at home in Boston on St. Paddy's day. But I'll eat it.

No one, I repeat NO ONE has seafood like New England! Sorry, they just don't.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 10:12 PM
When I worked in San Antonio last September, I found the Mexican food underwhelming and was truly surprised. I found it to be the opposite, much better in Tuscan. Cali has good Mexican too.

Here, in Florida I guess I'd say I am not wild about grouper for a white fish due to the texture. It's not bad, but it's not like my beloved cold water New England seafood. Another is conch. Too chewy but I will eat it in conch fritters with Bahamian sauce.

I am not crazy about New England boiled dinners that we had at home in Boston on St. Paddy's day. But I'll eat it.

No one, I repeat NO ONE has seafood like New England! Sorry, they just don't.

You're sounding a lot like the dude from Louisiana in post #2 right now.

OnTheWarpath15
02-15-2015, 10:15 PM

ROFLROFLROFL

-King-
02-15-2015, 10:35 PM
In and Out burgers. when working out west the crew only thing out there mouth when I ask where they want to lunch. Like lemmings the sing in unison In and Out. I drop them off and go find a taco stand.

Speaking of taco stands, there's a mexican food truck out by Power and Light. Most likely the best taco and quesadilla I've had in Kansas City.

rockymtnchief
02-15-2015, 10:45 PM

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

To be honest, every time I meet someone from Texas that is now in Montana, they do the same thing. It seems every sentence starts with, "Down in Texas...."

Down in Texas, we put the left sock on first!
Down in Texas, the sun rises in the west and sets in the east!
Down in Texas, our grizzly bears are vegan!
Down in Texas, we have 25 hours in a day!

I've told at least five Texans in twenty years to move their asses back to Texas (One was a hot blonde from Dallas I was dating). When I rodeo'd in Texas, I never heard the one-upmanship. So it must only happen when they cross the border.

milkman
02-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Nothing is ever as good as it's made out to be.

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 10:52 PM
LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

To be honest, every time I meet someone from Texas that is now in Montana, they do the same thing. It seems every sentence starts with, "Down in Texas...."

I've told at least five Texans in twenty years to move their asses back to Texas (One was a hot blonde from Dallas I was dating). When I rodeo'd in Texas, I never heard the one-upmanship. So it must only happen when they cross the border.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/1/6216121/il_570xN.259593703.jpg

TimBone
02-15-2015, 10:53 PM
LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Yeah, I admit we Texans have some foolish pride. And you're right, that verbal promotion kicks in when living/visiting other states. I've had to learn to check myself over the years, and I'll call my fellow Texans out on it as well.

BucEyedPea

There's always the exception that proves the rule. In this case it's New England/Northeast cold water seafood.

That is, unless you're used to insipid clam strips and no bellies. Then I can't help ya'!

TimBone
Solid point.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 10:55 PM
There's always the exception that proves the rule. In this case it's New England/Northeast cold water seafood.

That is, unless you're used to insipid clam strips and no bellies. Then I can't help ya'!
POST #2

BucEyedPea
Yeah, I admit we Texans have some foolish pride. And you're right, that verbal promotion kicks in when living/visiting other states. I've had to learn to check myself over the years, and I'll call my fellow Texans out on it as well.

The people in Florida complain about the same thing being said by Northerners that move here. There's even a bumper sticker saying " If it was so much better in the nawth, then move back there!"

BucEyedPea
POST #2

Yes, I checked it out. :D

TimBone
02-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Yes, I checked it out. :D
Then quit pumping up NE. Im gonna be disappointed when I have it after hearing you go on about it. :-)

RealSNR
02-15-2015, 10:57 PM
I can't fucking talk about any kind of Mexican food I've had up north with somebody who lives in a state along the Mexican border or "knows somebody" with an "authentic" restaurant kind of close to the south.

As if proximity means jack shit when it comes to Mexican food. We live in the 21st fucking century. Ingredients can be shipped. If the chef knows what to put in the food, he could make it on the North fucking Pole and it would taste just as "authentic" as the bullshit you just HAVE to have in San Diego/Houston/Dallas/Phoenix/Albuquerque/wherever the fuck. And no, do NOT fucking tell me that you can tell the difference between fresh ingredients that were grown in the backyard and the stuff that came from a grocery store shipped from wherever the fuck it grows. You can not tell the difference. Just like you can't tell the difference between organic vegetables and stuff grown with science that you buy in a grocery store. Blind taste tests sent to a variety of people PROVE that people have no fucking clue what they're talking about when it comes to that garbage.

Me: "Hey I tried, Jose's Mexican Food on Bullshit Street that just opened up. They had really good tacos, and-"

Douchebag from the South: "OMG NO WAI DOOD I GUARANTEE YOU THOSE WEREN'T REAL TACOS HOLY SHIT DUDE YOU NEED TO REALLY GET THE FUCK OUT MORE IF YOU THINK THOSE WERE REAL TACOS YOU AIN'T SEEN OR TASTED REAL TACOS UNTIL YOU GO TO MEXICO CITY AND EAT THEM STRAIGHT OUT OF THE TOILET OFF THE STREET IN THAT IMPOVERISHED SHITHOLE HOLY FUCK THIS ONE DUDE I KNOW MAKES THEM IN SAN ANTONIO AND THOSE ARE REAL TACOS LET ME TELL YOU IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE STUFF YOU THOUGHT YOU JUST HAD YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE BEEN EATING FUCKING TACO BELL YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW MAN YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!"

Me: "I hate you so much that I'm going to rape your entire family with a 400 lb man's bowel movement that came from an inauthentic Mexican meal shaped like a penis"

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Then quit pumping up NE.

You asked a question about it though.

Im gonna be disappointed when I have it after hearing you go on about it. :-)

Oh, that can't happen. <--meant to be taken two ways.

milkman
02-15-2015, 10:58 PM

Seafood sucks, no matter where it comes from.

And New Englanders suck ass.

TimBone
02-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Hahaha...I think I'm guilty of SNR's rant.

BucEyedPea
Seafood sucks, no matter where it comes from.
You must be a landlubber. Enjoy your pork and beans.

And New Englanders suck ass.

That can be fun. But I'm not one anymore.

TimBone
In fact, I've done it on this board.

In58men
02-15-2015, 11:01 PM
I can't fucking talk about any kind of Mexican food I've had up north with somebody who lives in a state along the Mexican border or "knows somebody" with an "authentic" restaurant kind of close to the south.

As if proximity means jack shit when it comes to Mexican food. We live in the 21st fucking century. Ingredients can be shipped. If the chef knows what to put in the food, he could make it on the North fucking Pole and it would taste just as "authentic" as the bullshit you just HAVE to have in San Diego/Houston/Dallas/Phoenix/Albuquerque/wherever the fuck. And no, do NOT fucking tell me that you can tell the difference between fresh ingredients that were grown in the backyard and the stuff that came from a grocery store shipped from wherever the fuck it grows. You can not tell the difference. Just like you can't tell the difference between organic vegetables and stuff grown with science that you buy in a grocery store. Blind taste tests sent to a variety of people PROVE that people have no fucking clue what they're talking about when it comes to that garbage.

Me: "Hey I tried, Jose's Mexican Food on Bullshit Street that just opened up. They had really good tacos, and-"

Douchebag from the South: "OMG NO WAI DOOD I GUARANTEE YOU THOSE WEREN'T REAL TACOS HOLY SHIT DUDE YOU NEED TO REALLY GET THE FUCK OUT MORE IF YOU THINK THOSE WERE REAL TACOS YOU AIN'T SEEN OR TASTED REAL TACOS UNTIL YOU GO TO MEXICO CITY AND EAT THEM STRAIGHT OUT OF THE TOILET OFF THE STREET IN THAT IMPOVERISHED SHITHOLE HOLY FUCK THIS ONE DUDE I KNOW MAKES THEM IN SAN ANTONIO AND THOSE ARE REAL TACOS LET ME TELL YOU IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE STUFF YOU THOUGHT YOU JUST HAD YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE BEEN EATING FUCKING TACO BELL YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW MAN YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!"

Me: "I hate you so much that I'm going to rape your entire family with a 400 lb man's bowel movement that came from an inauthentic Mexican meal shaped like a penis"

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/5f5cd0892363baf03684dfc1dac00075.jpg

Truth

RealSNR
02-15-2015, 11:03 PM
The best bowl of clam chowder I ever had was when I was in Seattle.

Fuck New England. I hope the next major hurricane rapes everything in sight from Philadelphia to fucking Portland, ME.

RealSNR
02-15-2015, 11:10 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/5f5cd0892363baf03684dfc1dac00075.jpg

Truth

Yeah. I eat stuff that looks like the top picture, but since I had it in Milwaukee, WI, THAT'S APPARENTLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

That's exactly what Tim's post is about. People are obsessed with this idea of place and location having significant meaning to quality. It's the same thing with any other tyoe of food.

Growing up, my best friend was Chinese. Like, legit Chinese. His parents lived in China until they were in their 40s when they moved to the states. He lived in China until he was 9 and had to learn English when he emigrated with his family.

They would invite me over for dinner and had all kinds of awesome Chinese dishes.

If I ever go to San Francisco and try to describe the food I ate, they would ask, "Where did you grow up?" I would say, "North Dakota," and then that would send them into a tizzy bullshit rant about how that wasn't real Chinese food.

Fuck those people. The shit I ate was more authentically Chinese than those assholes will ever know eating it in a restaurant in their egocentric city.

rockymtnchief
02-15-2015, 11:11 PM

I do admit though, I can stand the Texans a lot more than the Californians that move here. Calis move here to get away from the crowds, gangs or high cost of living and immediately start trying to get California laws put into effect here. Stop hunting and logging asap. Or complain about the lack of Starbucks, deer eating their lawns, ban gas guzzling pick-ups and why are people allowed to float the river in my back yard...I own that river! They move here for the open space and always immediately put up a fence. And somebody stop all this snow! My Prius can't make it up the hill like those gas guzzling pick-ups!

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 11:13 PM
That's exactly what Tim's post is about. People are obsessed with this idea of place and location having significant meaning to quality. It's the same thing with any other tyoe of food.

Unless of course it's seafood, which always tastes best fresh. That's makes a big difference. I can see your point otherwise. A good recipe is a good recipe no matter where it is done.

Okay Tim Bone. You can call me out for that one too. :p

Pasta Little Brioni
02-15-2015, 11:17 PM
So it's the seafood that makes New Englanders bat Shit crazy

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 11:19 PM
So it's the seafood that makes New Englanders bat Shit crazy

R they? Glad I left.

Does your state make very judgemental folks?

In58men
02-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Yeah. I eat stuff that looks like the top picture, but since I had it in Milwaukee, WI, THAT'S APPARENTLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Growing up, my best friend was Chinese. Like, legit Chinese. His parents lived in China until they were in their 40s when they moved to the states. He lived in China until he was 9 and had to learn English when he emigrated with his family.

They would invite me over for dinner and had all kinds of awesome Chinese dishes.

If I ever go to San Francisco and try to describe the food I ate, they would ask, "Where did you grow up?" I would say, "North Dakota," and then that would send them into a tizzy bullshit rant about how that wasn't real Chinese food.

**** those people. The shit I ate was more authentically Chinese than those assholes will ever know eating it in a restaurant in their egocentric city.

I can see what's he's saying. The Mexican food we eat is like 98% Mexican/American. I've been to Mexico and ALL their food is bland. Authentic tacos are garbage. We ate a lot of over and it wasn't the same. It was shit.

Rams Fan
02-15-2015, 11:20 PM
New Orleans seafood>New England

GloucesterChief
02-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Virginia's blue laws suck.

The government isn't much better.

Also, Chesapeake seafood > New England seafood.

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 11:23 PM
New Orleans seafood>New England

All they got is shrimp and oysters. Less variety. I love those too. I think recipes are much different in New Orleans anyway. In New England the fish is served simply as as the fish. Not buried in a spicy gumbo or otherwise. Save for oysters which can be served raw.

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Virginia's blue laws suck.

The government isn't much better.

Also, Chesapeake seafood > New England seafood.

Crabs. That's mainly what they're known for right? If not please elaborate. But it's close to the same area anyway.

I like MD's blue crabs too.

Rain Man
02-15-2015, 11:25 PM
With regard to ethnic food, I've found that I usually don't want to eat the really "authentic" stuff. When I wander into a real Mexican restaurant and see the weird tripe tacos and stuff, I'm not a happy man. And I've eaten authentic Chinese food in Hong Kong while longing for my Americanized version.

I'm an American and I have my preferred flavors. I like the diversity of world foods, but I like them better when the cook's mom married a GI and had to make some adjustments to the ingredients and recipe.

GloucesterChief
02-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Crabs. That's mainly what they're known for right? If not please elaborate. But it's close to the same area anyway.

I like MD's blue crabs too.

Blue crab, oysters, clams, crappie, croaker, and catfish.

Also:

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20110317-142296-old-bay-post.jpg

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Blue crab, oysters, clams, crappie, and catfish.

Also:

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20110317-142296-old-bay-post.jpg

Those fish you named are basically from the same waters being on the east coast and not too far south. Some of those are found off the North East coast ( New England). We still have so much more variety though. By that I mean good tasting versions of white fish: haddock, swordfish, halibut, cod etc.

I see you edited. Never heard of croaker or crappie.

BucEyedPea
02-15-2015, 11:31 PM
With regard to ethnic food, I've found that I usually don't want to eat the really "authentic" stuff. When I wander into a real Mexican restaurant and see the weird tripe tacos and stuff, I'm not a happy man. And I've eaten authentic Chinese food in Hong Kong while longing for my Americanized version.

I'm an American and I have my preferred flavors. I like the diversity of world foods, but I like them better when the cook's mom married a GI and had to make some adjustments to the ingredients and recipe.

I'm the same way. I've learned I am not liking authentic Mexican.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Here in CoMo I would have to say Shakespeare's Pizza. It's not terrible but there are better pizza shops in town.

I would rather eat Gumby's than Shakespeare's. Crust is way too dry and it takes 90 minutes to get a damned pizza even on a day with moderate traffic.

CJ's is the best Columbia-specific tradition.

TimBone
02-16-2015, 12:30 AM
I do admit though, I can stand the Texans a lot more than the Californians that move here. Calis move here to get away from the crowds, gangs or high cost of living and immediately start trying to get California laws put into effect here. Stop hunting and logging asap. Or complain about the lack of Starbucks, deer eating their lawns, ban gas guzzling pick-ups and why are people allowed to float the river in my back yard...I own that river! They move here for the open space and always immediately put up a fence. And somebody stop all this snow! My Prius can't make it up the hill like those gas guzzling pick-ups!
Haha...you should see the California girls trying to deal with the bugs down here in Louisiana. I married a California girl, and anytime a sister or cousin visits, it's the same freaking fight with them about the bugs. They whine, cry, and scream the while time they're here.

Why Not?
02-16-2015, 01:23 AM
Tucson. Sucks a fat dick.

Fixed

Why Not?
02-16-2015, 01:27 AM
The Vegas Strip is pretty boring after the first few nights.

Scottsdale

Go to Vegas multiple times per year. Spend as little time as possible on the strip. If you've seen it once and are past the age of 22, it is highly overhyped.

Scottsdale is in the running for most overrated city in America, if not at the top of that list.

TimBone
02-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Have I been living under a rock? Is Scottsdale considered a go to spot?

EPodolak
02-16-2015, 03:44 AM

Albert G's in Tulsa is the best I know of for BBQ. Haven't had great Mexican food, I imagine there's plenty being made on the east side of town though.

Portlantis
02-16-2015, 04:00 AM
I would probably mention Voodoo Donuts, but having lived in Portland for 8 years, I haven't actually ever had any.

I just can't imagine any donuts being so good that it would be worth waiting an hour in line for them.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Grits and boiled peanuts.

Now I have had grits that were good, but most are garbage. But boiled peanuts taste like soggy, soft, rancid peanuts. They're disgusting.

Why Not?
02-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Have I been living under a rock? Is Scottsdale considered a go to spot?

You should have heard the media slurpage of Scottsdale during Super Bowl week. And people from there think it's Beverly Hills Jr.

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 09:11 AM
I miss Imos Pizza. Occasionally when people come visit they bring us a block or 2 of Provel cheese from St Louis. That is the only thing I miss from Missouri. Well, that and seeing The Urge play live!

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 09:15 AM
The people in Florida complain about the same thing being said by Northerners that move here. There's even a bumper sticker saying " If it was so much better in the nawth, then move back there!"

My favorite is "we don't give a damn how you did it up north" working in construction, you hear lots of northerners talk about how they do this or that up north. I say this is Florida, shits done different here. I'm a firm believe of both sticker statements.

Frosty
02-16-2015, 09:16 AM
I would probably mention Voodoo Donuts, but having lived in Portland for 8 years, I haven't actually ever had any.

I just can't imagine any donuts being so good that it would be worth waiting an hour in line for them.

Plus you get the added bonus of hanging out with all the meth and heroin addicts.

Frosty
02-16-2015, 09:17 AM
As for my state, I'm not wild about its penchant for voter fraud and high taxes.

Also, salmon is ok but not "OMG! Best evah!!"

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 09:30 AM
I miss Imos Pizza. Occasionally when people come visit they bring us a block or 2 of Provel cheese from St Louis. That is the only thing I miss from Missouri. Well, that and seeing The Urge play live!

http://img.pandawhale.com/88101-Jim-Carrey-disgust-gif-Dumb-an-MVZE.gif

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Not a fan I take it? I grew up on Imos. Had that melted Provel give me MANY burns on the roof of my mouth. Whenever we go back to STL we always get Imos pizza, White Castle (although I'm a bigger Krystal fan), and Jack in the Box.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Not a fan I take it? I grew up on Imos. Had that melted Provel give me MANY burns on the roof of my mouth. Whenever we go back to STL we always get Imos pizza, White Castle (although I'm a bigger Krystal fan), and Jack in the Box.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 09:41 AM
ROFL at FMB's response to cl!

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Imos is garbage brah. There is much better St. Louis style pizza available.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Fuck New England. I hope the next major hurricane rapes everything in sight from Philadelphia to fucking Portland, ME.

Ivar's? So so good.

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 10:01 AM

LMAO
You're killin me!! Maybe I should preface any food based post by saying "my sense of taste is probably only secoond worse than my selective hearing. I've eaten barely cooked chicken without noticing (although it WAS covered in gravy), completely raw sausage, and probably eat a bowl of cereal with bad milk once every 2 months without noticing"

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 10:03 AM

Probably true, but it's what my senses remember. Eating Imos is like taking a trip back in time for my senses.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 10:08 AM
LMAO
You're killin me!! Maybe I should preface any food based post by saying "my sense of taste is probably only secoond worse than my selective hearing. I've eaten barely cooked chicken without noticing (although it WAS covered in gravy), completely raw sausage, and probably eat a bowl of cereal with bad milk once every 2 months without noticing"

:eek:

Holy shit, seriously?

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Cooch have u earned your red wings? With that palate you could definitely get it done.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Cooch have u earned your red wings? With that palate you could definitely get it done.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2015, 10:18 AM

:)

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 10:19 AM
:eek:

Holy shit, seriously?

Yeah, the sausage thing was dumb. I bought some smoked sausage from a German deli. When I buy smoked sausage it's always been cooked. I came home and ate it for lunch. Well about 4 bites. I gave a small piece to the dog and left. Texted my wife that it was very bland. She text back that's because it's not cooked. Omg, I'll never deny my idiocy! And the milk thing.... Idk why I don't taste it lmao. My wife will text did I use the milk for cereal cuz it's bad. The answer is always yes.
I do not recall I I've ever earned my red wings or not.....

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR View Post

**** New England. I hope the next major hurricane rapes everything in sight from Philadelphia to ****ing Portland, ME.

Oh dear! Just maybe that chowder you had in Seattle was a recipe from Boston and even made by a NE transplant. I know some that now live there. I nearly moved there instead of here.

However, I think you got your wish for New England—just not in the form of a hurricane. ROFL

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10269492_10205812170646094_432517145628284400_n.jpg?oh=3fb5491a55e2267f1b0045dbd19aedab&oe=5594C0B8

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2015, 10:22 AM
I think you would know man ROFL

Rain Man
02-16-2015, 10:33 AM

This is not true, and I now suspect that you are a North Korean spy.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 10:35 AM
This is not true, and I now suspect that you are a North Korean spy.

If it uses Provel, it's garbage.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2015, 10:45 AM
ProvelGratedMeatball

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Oh dear! Just maybe that chowder you had in Seattle was a recipe from Boston and even made by a NE transplant. I know some that now live there. I nearly moved there instead of here.

However, I think you got your wish for New England—just not in the form of a hurricane. ROFL

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10269492_10205812170646094_432517145628284400_n.jpg?oh=3fb5491a55e2267f1b0045dbd19aedab&oe=5594C0B8

You've got to be happy with the choice of Florida over Washington.....right?

Rams Fan
02-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Probably true, but it's what my senses remember. Eating Imos is like taking a trip back in time for my senses.

Too bad you didn't grow fond of Fortel's.

Sorter
02-16-2015, 11:58 AM
If it uses Provel, it's garbage.

This.

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Too bad you didn't grow fond of Fortel's.

Dont think I've ever had that. I usually only had what I could get delivered or walk to from the South side.

Easy 6
02-16-2015, 12:35 PM
The corn dog and horseshoe sandwich supposedly from Springfield, Illinois... and boy is someone always glad to remind you of it... yeah BFD, two rather ordinary foods IMO.

And then of course its the "Land of Lincoln", that's the real biggie... heres a house he once lived in! heres where he once practiced law! well whoopitydo... its really not all that exciting.

Lincolns New Salem in Petersburg, Ill is pretty cool though, they've maintained that village as basically a time capsule and are always having reenactors there doing various demonstrations etc.

But yeah, hearing about Lincoln all the time gets old fast.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2015, 12:37 PM
The corn dog and horseshoe sandwich supposedly from Springfield, Illinois... and boy is someone always glad to remind you of it... yeah BFD, two rather ordinary foods IMO.

And then of course its the "Land of Lincoln", that's the real biggie... heres a house he once lived in! heres where he once practiced law! well whoopitydo... its really not all that exciting.

Lincolns New Salem in Petersburg, Ill is pretty cool though, they've maintained that village as basically a time capsule and are always having reenactors there doing various demonstrations etc.

But yeah, hearing about Lincoln all the time gets old fast.

Totally agree on the Horseshoe. I was working up there and a buddy was railing on how we just had to try it. BFD it was meh at best.

Easy 6
02-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Totally agree on the Horseshoe. I was working up there and a buddy was railing on how we just had to try it. BFD it was meh at best.

Its really just an extra messy cheeseburger.

Easy 6
02-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Milkman doesn't like seafood... yep, that explains it.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Its really just an extra messy cheeseburger.

We may be talking about something different. This came on a bed of fries, and was shaped like a horseshoe. I had the Buffalo chicken one.

Reaper16
02-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Living in Philly now & there's plenty of overrated stuff about the food in this part of the country. Scrapple ain't shit. The Amish & Pennsylvania Dutch have taken over tons of markets with their shitty ribs & passable donuts. Almost no one in Philly can make a good Philly cheesesteak; the reason why it's recommended that you eat one with Cheez Whiz is that the sodium in Whiz makes up for the utter lack of flavor in the beef. The like three places in Philly that make a good cheesesteak are the ones who actually season the beef they cook.

Al Bundy
02-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Yes.. all tourists in the state of Florida are pretty bad on the road. Ohh and all of the northeast people who are snowbirds are fucking assholes.

scho63
02-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Five Guys originated here in northern VA in Arlington and I think their burgers and fries SUCK BALLS!

TimBone
02-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Living in Philly now & there's plenty of overrated stuff about the food in this part of the country. Scrapple ain't shit. The Amish & Pennsylvania Dutch have taken over tons of markets with their shitty ribs & passable donuts. Almost no one in Philly can make a good Philly cheesesteak; the reason why it's recommended that you eat one with Cheez Whiz is that the sodium in Whiz makes up for the utter lack of flavor in the beef. The like three places in Philly that make a good cheesesteak are the ones who actually season the beef they cook.
Hey bud, your PM's are full. Tuesday by FedEx.

RealSNR
02-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Five Guys originated here in northern VA in Arlington and I think their burgers and fries SUCK BALLS!

The burgers are edible. The fries fucking suck. They also insist on putting them in the bag so you HAVE to burn your hand on the hot grease to get to your burger.

The guy who thought of that at Five Guys needs to be tarred and feathered and raped with a cactus

In58men
02-16-2015, 02:09 PM
The burgers are edible. The fries ****ing suck. They also insist on putting them in the bag so you HAVE to burn your hand on the hot grease to get to your burger.

The guy who thought of that at Five Guys needs to be tarred and feathered and raped with a cactus

I heard their Cajun fries are good

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Philly Cheesesteaks are way overrated.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-16-2015, 02:14 PM
The burgers are edible. The fries fucking suck. They also insist on putting them in the bag so you HAVE to burn your hand on the hot grease to get to your burger.

I could not disagree more. The burgers are good, not great, but the fries are excellent.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2015, 02:16 PM
There was a place in Seattle that made the best fucking cheesesteaks I've ever eaten. I was very unhappy when the owner was murdered.

Graystoke
02-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Since I live in Iowa we don't really have a lot to brag about.
But it seems we have one thing, and I am so fucking sick of hearing about it.
It was one fucking movie, done 25 years ago, it wasn't that fucking good, Costner has sucked nothing but the peni since Dances With Wolves and since I sorta live close you hear about it 10 times a year.
Fucking die in a fire Field of Dreams

Frosty
02-16-2015, 02:19 PM
There was a place in Seattle that made the best ****ing cheesesteaks I've ever eaten. I was very unhappy when the owner was murdered.

It was probably the Philly mob.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 02:36 PM
The burgers are edible. The fries ****ing suck. They also insist on putting them in the bag so you HAVE to burn your hand on the hot grease to get to your burger.

Order the fries well done. They get nice and crispy.

But the key is you're not supposed to take them out of the bag. The bag is supposed to be used like a placemat. Set it on its side and tear the bag open.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-czLDd2P4mJE/UEa06_me-tI/AAAAAAAAAIk/J2QoH9JghJc/s400/fiveguys_fries-374x279.jpeg

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Order the fries well done. They get nice and crispy.

Or ask for them to be cooked twice. I do that in restaurants that aren't fast food. Love 'em crispy.

On the bag being a mat. They should put that message on the bag or somewhere easily seen.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 02:39 PM
But it seems we have one thing, and I am so ****ing sick of hearing about it.
It was one ****ing movie, done 25 years ago, it wasn't that ****ing good, Costner has sucked nothing but the peni since Dances With Wolves and since I sorta live close you hear about it 10 times a year.
****ing die in a fire Field of Dreams

Yes you do. The honorable Iowa pork chop!

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 02:39 PM
I could not disagree more. The burgers are good, not great, but the fries are excellent.

I like both. They're pricey, but their Top 2 fast food burger/fries around, IMO.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Or ask for them to be cooked twice. I do that in restaurants that aren't fast food. Love 'em crispy.

On the bag being a mat. They should put that message on the bag or somewhere easily seen.

Just look around, you'll see people all over the restaurant doing it that way.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I like both. They're pricey, but their Top 2 fast food burger/fries around, IMO.

I agree overall, and I certainly shouldn't have to pay $11.50 for a small order of fries, a burger, and a drink.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 02:45 PM
I agree overall, and I certainly shouldn't have to pay $11.50 for a small order of fries, a burger, and a drink.

Yep, my double burger, "little" fry, and medium drink was $12+ today.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Just look around, you'll see people all over the restaurant doing it that way.

Only been there once and it was two years ago. Won't be back. So I guess I'll miss that observation.
Still, apparently some folks didn't know as evidenced by their comments.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Plus I don't like their branding. It's not luring.

Discuss Thrower
02-16-2015, 03:13 PM

If you want it cheaper then stick with Hardees/McDonalds/BK

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 03:14 PM
I lived in Tucson. Whataburger sucks a fat dick.

You do?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2015, 03:28 PM
You do?

If you're talking about Tucson, I did almost 20 years ago, briefly. If you're talking about sucking dick, no. I don't. Lol

Ming the Merciless
02-16-2015, 03:29 PM
California

1)IN-and-Out burger isnt all that....you pretty much have to order the fries extra crispy or they **** them up and the burgers are small and meh yet people line up by the dozen for that garbage

2)sourdough bread mostly sucks, its too chewy and plain...I much prefer some rye or foccacia or crescent or something else than a cardboard tube...YES it can be done decently but I like other kinds of breads better

3) Northern california is 10000x better than southern california, yet people nationwide only think of LA or southern california like everything is sunny and surfers and fake blondes etc......its a different state pretty much from san francisco north of the golden gate...come check it out of you have only been to so caL....in general youre either a southern cal person or northern cal person...

4) im not sure if its a california thing but i hate panera restraunt....why people like that place is beyond me .....same with olive garden and red lobster and all the other chain places ..**** chains...thats not really a california thing but yah...i figured i would throw that in...If I am gonna spend 75$ on dinner i will go to a better god damn place than olive garden

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 03:36 PM
I love northern Cal much more and I LOVE Panera too. Great soups and salads.

Some chains are pretty good while some individual restaurants suck. It just depends.

Reaper16
02-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Hey bud, your PM's are full. Tuesday by FedEx.

I should have had you throw in one of those cream sodas too. :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Can we get a mod to fix the thread title? It's driving me bananas.

TimBone
02-16-2015, 05:11 PM
I should have had you throw in one of those cream sodas too. :thumb:
Haha. They are fucking delicious.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-16-2015, 05:57 PM
If you want it cheaper then stick with Hardees/McDonalds/BK

Five Guys' prices have gone up about 20% in the last year alone and their fry portions have gotten smaller.

I can understand dropping about $8-9 bucks for a burger of that size with that amount of fries and a drink.

I fear that they've made the classic mistake of over-expanding and now they are jacking up prices to make up the difference.

Discuss Thrower
02-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Five Guys' prices have gone up about 20% in the last year alone and their fry portions have gotten smaller.

I can understand dropping about $8-9 bucks for a burger of that size with that amount of fries and a drink.

I fear that they've made the classic mistake of over-expanding and now they are jacking up prices to make up the difference.

Probably have. Joplin doesn't deserve a Five Guys yet there one is.

They also expanded to the Northside of Springfield. Unless they accept EBT that's a dumb idea too.

Bwana
02-16-2015, 06:06 PM

Dead nuts on the money.

Easy 6
02-16-2015, 06:15 PM
We may be talking about something different. This came on a bed of fries, and was shaped like a horseshoe. I had the Buffalo chicken one.

The original horseshoe was a hamburger patty on a piece of toast, covered with fries and then cheese sauce. But its now branched out into the chicken like you had, pork tenderloins etc.

Places are trying to put their own twists on it.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Five Guy was incredibly underwhelming

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Five Guys is good. Not worth the money in my mind, but that doesn't stop me from eating about 3 a year.

TrebMaxx
02-16-2015, 07:27 PM
There was a place in Seattle that made the best ****ing cheesesteaks I've ever eaten. I was very unhappy when the owner was murdered.
Speaking of NW Cheese steaks. I crave Bruchi's Cheese Steaks from when I lived in Spokane. It's one of the first things I hit up when I visit my family that is still up there. Damn, I want one now.

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 07:30 PM

I don't know where else they have them, but BJs Brewhouse has the best root beer anywhere. They brew it fresh, and it comes in a chilled mug no ice. So flipping good!
Always want to bring some home and mix with that 100 proof root beer vodka but I haven't yet.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Hey Tim Bone. That thur Super Dum is the finest art in the land!

Archie F. Swin
02-16-2015, 07:43 PM
me and everyone else seeing the Alamo for the first time:

"that's it?"

Rams Fan
02-16-2015, 07:44 PM
In terms of St. Louis based food franchises:

1. Fortel's
2. Panera
3. Imo's
4. Hardee's

Sully
02-16-2015, 08:08 PM

"that's it?"

You really gotta see the basement to get the whole picture.

srvy
02-16-2015, 09:32 PM
But it seems we have one thing, and I am so fucking sick of hearing about it.
It was one fucking movie, done 25 years ago, it wasn't that fucking good, Costner has sucked nothing but the peni since Dances With Wolves and since I sorta live close you hear about it 10 times a year.
Fucking die in a fire Field of Dreams

Hey you got loose meat sandwiches those are not to bad :D

srvy
02-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Philly Cheesesteaks are way overrated.

Agreed! I often wonder how many Heimlich maneuvers have been used because of this trash sammy.

TimBone
02-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Hey Tim Bone. That thur Super Dum is the finest art in the land!
Not shitting you, the guy used to go on and on about how the Saints fans were the best and most loyal fans in the NFL.

TimBone
02-16-2015, 10:25 PM
I don't know where else they have them, but BJs Brewhouse has the best root beer anywhere. They brew it fresh, and it comes in a chilled mug no ice. So flipping good!
Always want to bring some home and mix with that 100 proof root beer vodka but I haven't yet.
Somebody recommended Dad's Root Beer to me a few years ago. I like it because it has a hint of mint flavor to it.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Not shitting you, the guy used to go on and on about how the Saints fans were the best and most loyal fans in the NFL.

ROFL Dude probably had a bag over his head at games pre Brees.

Amnorix
02-17-2015, 10:41 AM

This boiling hatred is strange. If I were to take some of these posts literally, then the East Coast and/or West Coast (less often, but sometimes) ranks right up there with ISIS in terms of getting CP love.

I've never in my life thought "I wish a fucking tornado would just wipe out" ANYPLACE in the U.S. And you're one of more rational posters on this board.

:shrug:

Amnorix
02-17-2015, 10:44 AM
I went to Nashville on business. I'm a big fan of BBQ and the other guy I was down there with also liked it. We could've hit any one of the places IN Nashville, but no, I had to have the bright idea of asking a local where HE would go. He sends us on a trek nearly an hour outside the city to deeep bum-f-ville Tennessee. Went past like 20 churches with HUGE lit up crosses (not something remotely common in the Northeast).

The BBQ was meh, the corn bread was actually VERY different from what we call corn bread up here (and not in a good way), and the whole thing nowhere near worth the time and trouble.

Would like to try KC BBQ sometime. Not sure I'll ever actually GO to KC however so...

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Agreed! I often wonder how many Heimlich maneuvers have been used because of this trash sammy.

I could make a better one at home and if I did I keep the meat pink at least instead of gray.

The Franchise
02-17-2015, 11:12 AM
This turned into a food thing.....but I'm originally from South Dakota.

Mount Rushmore and Wall Drug are the most overrated piles of shit out there.

"Oh you're from South Dakota....so you go to Mount Rushmore every weekend, right?"

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 11:23 AM

"Oh you're from South Dakota....so you go to Mount Rushmore every weekend, right?"

Mount Rushmore is an abomination to nature. No offense.

The Franchise
02-17-2015, 11:24 AM

It's a fucking tourist trap....at best. Wow....let's go look at some faces on the side of a mountain.

TimBone
02-17-2015, 11:26 AM

I've never understood the fascination with Mount Rushmore.

If I happened to be driving by it, I might glance out of the window, but I would never set out on a trip solely to see it.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 11:40 AM
I loved my trip to Mt Rushmore—LOVED IT! Flew to Iowa to see in-laws in Boone—then drove using the MIL's car. Passed through the Badlands too.

I guess it's like doing the Freedom Trail in Boston. I loved right up the street from USS Constitution in the naval shipyard and never got on it until in-laws visited and insisted. I lived on frikkin Bunker Hill street even and didn't go see it. Only did the Freedom Trail just before I moved—just to say I did it and cause I knew it'd be harder to do once I moved out of the area.

I would occasionally bump into the re-enactments at Lexington and Concord in spring but I'd be cussing out the traffic and the detours instead. Ha!

cdcox
02-17-2015, 11:40 AM
If you want a good cheese steak go to Lenny's deli and order it with everything, especially the pepper relish. It transforms the experience.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2015, 11:41 AM

Every time I've seen those stupid "Where in the world is Wall Drug" bumper stickers I've asked out loud, who fucking cares?

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 11:44 AM
If you want a good cheese steak go to Lenny's deli and order it with everything, especially the pepper relish. It transforms the experience.

Where's that?

When I worked just outside Philly in Penn, we were given the name of the best place for a cheese steak in the city. Boy what a disappointment. Tho' I'm still glad to have gone there and tried one.

The Franchise
Seriously....this is Wall Drug.

http://www.travelsd.com/_upload/images/79572/s450x360/FpO5_O2F-0WJScOus5SP3w.jpg

A shitty "strip mall" with stupid fucking stores in it.

Katipan
The last time we drove from Iowa to Denver we wanted to take the kids to Mt. Rushmore. Since we'd never been to either Wall Drug or the Corn Palace we went to both.

We took some pictures next to wooden cowboys, ate some fudge, and bought a charger for my kid's IPOD. It made us too late for Mount Rushmore to get anything more than shadowy twilight pictures and I ran out of pot.

Fuck Wall Drug.

The Franchise
02-17-2015, 11:45 AM
The last time we drove from Iowa to Denver we wanted to take the kids to Mt. Rushmore. Since we'd never been to either Wall Drug or the Corn Palace we went to both.

We took some pictures next to wooden cowboys, ate some fudge, and bought a charger for my kid's IPOD. It made us too late for Mount Rushmore to get anything more than shadowy twilight pictures and I ran out of pot.

Fuck Wall Drug.

Fuck the Corn Palace. That's another stupid "tourist spot" that is worthless. A palace made of corn. Yay.

Katipan
02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
And then my kids bought $5 chocolate corn on the cobs. Which had no corn and was barely in the shape of a cob.

Katipan
02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Fuck South Dakota.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Seriously....this is Wall Drug.

http://www.travelsd.com/_upload/images/79572/s450x360/FpO5_O2F-0WJScOus5SP3w.jpg

A shitty "strip mall" with stupid fucking stores in it.

ROFL I'd have been so pissed if I'd taken the time to track it down.

Frosty
02-17-2015, 11:52 AM
I was underwhelmed by the Grand Canyon when we went there a couple of years ago. Drove forever to get there and then the scale is so big that it is hard to take it in. There is surprisingly little hiking available, too. It was basically ride a bus to a pullout, jump out, look at it and then catch the next bus to the pullout. The crowds were unreal, even in early April. We enjoyed Bryce and Zion much more on that trip.

I haven't been to Mt Rushmore since I was a kid but my memories of it are that it is out in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much to do when you get there.

cdcox
Where's that?

When I worked just outside Philly in Penn, we were given the name of the best place for a cheese steak in the city. Boy what a disappointment. Tho' I'm still glad to have gone there and tried one.

It is a regional chain operating in the south east, great plains and Michigan.

Mr. Flopnuts

Fuck Wall Drug.

ROFL Jesus. That's horrible. Especially the last part.

Katipan
02-17-2015, 11:54 AM
ROFL I'd have been so pissed if I'd taken the time to track it down.

It's the first mall that offered FREE ICE WATER.

They sell bumper stickers and shirts commemorating the event.

Katipan
02-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Of course somewhere there is a line of Eskimos selling shit saying Fuck South Dakota too.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2015, 11:58 AM
It's the first mall that offered FREE ICE WATER.

They sell bumper stickers and shirts commemorating the event.

Wat? Really? That's as bad as Oklahoma touting that they're the first state to ever charge a toll to drive in their shitty roads.

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 12:00 PM
I was underwhelmed by the Grand Canyon when we went there a couple of years ago. Drove forever to get there and then the scale is so big that it is hard to take it in. There is surprisingly little hiking available, too. It was basically ride a bus to a pullout, jump out, look at it and then catch the next bus to the pullout. The crowds were unreal, even in early April. We enjoyed Bryce and Zion much more on that trip.

I haven't been to Mt Rushmore since I was a kid but my memories of it are that it is out in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much to do when you get there.

You were underwhelmed...by the Grand Canyon? My entire central nervous system is malfunctioning as I try to process that.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 12:04 PM
I spent the better part of the past 20 years in Texas and have to say that the BBQ is mostly garbage. I've had much better BBQ in Oklahoma, Memphis, several places in Arkansas, Birmingham, North Carolina, and of course Kansas City.

My experience is: BBQ in Memphis and NC differ. I assume it's another variety in KC. I've had both Memphis and NC. I don't care for NC. It's too vinegar'y imo. I liked Memphis tho'. Never had Texas.

Still haven't figured out the food scene in South Florida. Most of it is copy cat stuff from other parts of the country.

Because it's made up of folks from other parts of the country. What is native here: Key Lime pie, a grouper dish made in an orange sauce, grouper sandwiches, conch fritters?

Frosty
02-17-2015, 12:05 PM
You were underwhelmed...by the Grand Canyon? My entire central nervous system is malfunctioning as I try to process that.

I've actually talked to a lot of people since that felt the same way. :shrug:

And I'm also talking as a tourist experience.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't oppose a re-carving to delete certain men.

There was an Native American one being carved in the area too. I forget the name of the NA though.

Rausch
02-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Five Guy was incredibly underwhelming

This.

Tastes exactly like I'd cooked it at home. What's the point?...

Katipan
02-17-2015, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't oppose a re-carving to delete certain men.

There was an Native American one being carved in the area too. I forget the name of the NA though.

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/wp-content/gallery/native-americans-day-2014/2014-na-day-copyright-chm-lmu-1.jpg

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 12:10 PM

"that's it?"

I always wanted to visit to see that and have the Riverwalk experience.
Finally got to work there at the end of Sept with work hours that gave me enough time to do both; plus a manager that also wanted to go.

I thought it would be bigger. It took hardly any time to get through the Alamo.
Still glad I did it though.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Yeah. That's it. Thanks. I have pictures of that but before digital camera days as it was year 2000.

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 12:11 PM
I've actually talked to a lot of people since that felt the same way. :shrug:

And I'm also talking as a tourist experience.

I can't really speak to the tourist experience. My only visit as an adult was in early December and there were about ten people there. We didn't do anything except stay at the the hotel and then do some walking around the edge.

It is a little weird to take in. The thing is just so big that it's simultaneously hard to appreciate and hard to not be in awe of. As a natural feature I think it's the most impressive thing I've ever seen.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 12:12 PM
I can't really speak to the tourist experience. My only visit as an adult was in early December and there were about ten people there. We didn't do anything except stay at the the hotel and then do some walking around the edge.

It is a little weird to take in. The thing is just so big that it's simultaneously hard to appreciate and hard to not be in awe of. As a natural feature I think it's the most impressive thing I've ever seen.

What was the weather like at that time?

Frosty
02-17-2015, 12:16 PM

It's something I think is worth seeing once but I doubt I will ever go back.

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 12:36 PM
What was the weather like at that time?

Maybe 20 to 30 degrees and clear. Some light snow on the ground. It was gorgeous and we were shocked that there was no one there. I kind of figured that the Grand Canyon was a year-round attraction.

Amnorix
02-17-2015, 12:42 PM

I thought the Grand Canyon was pretty cool.

My seriously underwhelmed moment was Stonehenge. All the pictures you see don't show it, but it's right by a pretty significant two lane road. It's hard to lose yourself in the place with cars whizzing by all the damn time. It's also all roped off, so you're like 50 feet away going -- "look, stones, that I can't touch, and which arent' really inherently significant in any obvious way."

Definitely a "checked that box, now I'm done" moment for me.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe 20 to 30 degrees and clear. Some light snow on the ground. It was gorgeous and we were shocked that there was no one there. I kind of figured that the Grand Canyon was a year-round attraction.

I was just curious as I want to go there when there's less of a crowd and not too hot or cold. The snow sounds like a nice touch though, but something more like 60-70° would be more desirable.

The Franchise
02-17-2015, 12:45 PM

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/wp-content/gallery/native-americans-day-2014/2014-na-day-copyright-chm-lmu-1.jpg

I'll take "Shit that won't get finished" for $500, Alex.

Frosty
02-17-2015, 12:51 PM
It's also all roped off, so you're like 50 feet away going -- "look, stones, that I can't touch,

That is the way I was with the Grand Canyon. When you first see it, you are blown away by the scale but after a while it becomes a lot of the same thing. It might have different if we had able to fly through it or hike to the bottom or something.

And for BEP, we went in early April and it was really crowded. It was also cold because of wind, which was howling (don't wear a skirt like some poor women we saw ;) ).

Frosty
02-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I'll take "Shit that won't get finished" for $500, Alex.

Also, "shit that's pissing off the people it's supposed to be honoring" for $1000

DJay23
02-17-2015, 01:20 PM
It may have been mentioned, but I'm not reading 13 pages. I'm a transplant to Pennsylvania. I had never even heard of a pierogie until I moved here. I think they range anywhere from, "meh" to nasty. People here treat them like some sort of magical foodstuff.

One thing that IS completely fantastic are Middleswarth Barbeque potato chips. :drool:

srvy
02-17-2015, 01:53 PM
It's something I think is worth seeing once but I doubt I will ever go back.

If the Grand Canyon didn't impress you my next question would what did?

Frosty
02-17-2015, 01:55 PM

I didn't say I wasn't impressed. I just don't think it's worth doing more than once.

Amnorix
02-17-2015, 01:57 PM
That is the way I was with the Grand Canyon. When you first see it, you are blown away by the scale but after a while it becomes a lot of the same thing. It might have different if we had able to fly through it or hike to the bottom or something.

I agree that you can't really just keep looking at it forever. But I thought it was cooler than Stonehenge

And for BEP, we went in early April and it was really crowded. It was also cold because of wind, which was howling (don't wear a skirt like some poor women we saw ;) ).

Speaking of cool, in the more literal sense, and wind -- freaking Stonehenge is FREEZING. It's on Salisbury Plain, which means there isn't a building or tree within 100 miles or something to slow the wind down. If you go, BE READY. Cold and windy.

ptlyon
02-17-2015, 01:58 PM
I didn't say I wasn't impressed. I just don't think it's worth doing more than once.

Just like your mom!

{sorry, had to)

srvy
02-17-2015, 02:07 PM
My not impressed was Great Salt Lake and the Salt Flats. Grand Canyon is one of the great wonders in my estimation. A sun rise or sun set there to me beats any beach any day.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Just like your mom!

{sorry, had to)

What he MEANT to say was "please pass the butter for his toast".

POND_OF_RED
02-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Texas women. You hear how hot the women are in Texas all the time, but Dallas only had a few. Most of them had huge boobs but huge shoulders and stomachs to go with them and absolutely no fashion sense or ability to speak without an annoying draw in their voice

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
I agree that you can't really just keep looking at it forever. But I thought it was cooler than Stonehenge
Boy, was that underwhelming. It was a dinky thing. It was cool when you drove over the hill and first see it in the opening in the plain, but up close can't say much.

Speaking of cool, in the more literal sense, and wind -- freaking Stonehenge is FREEZING. It's on Salisbury Plain, which means there isn't a building or tree within 100 miles or something to slow the wind down. If you go, BE READY. Cold and windy.

I saw I during one of England's warmer Septembers. Weather was gorgeous.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 03:09 PM

The great pyramids of Giza perhaps? Mount Everest?

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 03:40 PM
I loved my trip to Mt Rushmore—LOVED IT! Flew to Iowa to see in-laws in Boone—then drove using the MIL's car. Passed through the Badlands too.

I guess it's like doing the Freedom Trail in Boston. I loved right up the street from USS Constitution in the naval shipyard and never got on it until in-laws visited and insisted. I lived on frikkin Bunker Hill street even and didn't go see it. Only did the Freedom Trail just before I moved—just to say I did it and cause I knew it'd be harder to do once I moved out of the area.

I would occasionally bump into the re-enactments at Lexington and Concord in spring but I'd be cussing out the traffic and the detours instead. Ha!

Heh, first thing I did first time I went to Boston was parking in the Constitution parking lot, see the Constitution, and walk the Freedom Trail as far as Cheers, stopping early on to have lobster at a restaurant [with a dark green door IIRC]

-King-
02-17-2015, 04:01 PM
It's a fucking tourist trap....at best. Wow....let's go look at some faces on the side of a mountain.

Same thing about Hoover dam except I think I'd rather see faces on a side of a mountain than stand on a dam where literally nothing happens and the only thing to see is water and cement.

Katipan
02-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Same thing about Hoover dam except I think I'd rather see faces on a side of a mountain than stand on a dam where literally nothing happens and the only thing to see is water and cement.

I've stood under/on both and it's pretty dam impressive engineering either way.

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 04:43 PM

I've stood under/on both and it's pretty dam impressive engineering either way.

ICWUT ;)

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 04:49 PM

I think IMO's has a short shelf life because of the provel. I like to get a lunch special with a personal size and salad [they have great dressing too]. While it's still hot from the oven, it's a darn tasty lunch.

I don't think it's pizza nirvana, but it's tasty.

When I buy store bought pizza, it's usually get Mama Lucia which is thin crust provel as well.

Rausch
02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
I think IMO's has a short shelf life because of the provel. I like to get a lunch special with a personal size and salad [they have great dressing too]. While it's still hot from the oven, it's a darn tasty lunch.

I've only eaten at the local Imo's but all 3 times it was expensive, thin, disgusting $#it.

And I'm not a pizza snob...

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Heh, first thing I did first time I went to Boston was parking in the Constitution parking lot, see the Constitution, and walk the Freedom Trail as far as Cheers, stopping early on to have lobster at a restaurant [with a dark green door IIRC]

That's what tourists do. Just not the folks who live there.

I used to pass the Cheers place walking by but never went in until just before moving to look only. He, heh, heh.

I heard my cousin owns a restaurant in Faneuil Hall area now.

How come you didn't go to Durgin Park or Union Oyster House at Faneuil Hall for something—both are historic?

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 04:59 PM
I thought the Grand Canyon was pretty cool.

My seriously underwhelmed moment was Stonehenge. All the pictures you see don't show it, but it's right by a pretty significant two lane road. It's hard to lose yourself in the place with cars whizzing by all the damn time. It's also all roped off, so you're like 50 feet away going -- "look, stones, that I can't touch, and which arent' really inherently significant in any obvious way."

Definitely a "checked that box, now I'm done" moment for me.

Yeah, that's one of those places where I have trouble imagining that being there is better than seeing a picture. Especially if there's a busy road nearby.

A place that lives up to the hype is the Taj Mahal. That place is a big wow. The outside is pretty spectacular, and then you go inside and the walls are all decorated with carved semi-precious stones. The inside is really tiny, though, much smaller than I would have expected.

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 05:00 PM

Does the Cheers place look like Cheers on the inside, or just the outside?

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Does the Cheers place look like Cheers on the inside, or just the outside?

No, not at all. The entrance leads to a narrow hallways. Here's the interior space.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Cheers_(the_real_thing)_(7194333592).jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i76b-EJ4Mc8/UiPltAr5a8I/AAAAAAAAEqE/RlV2HdQCQuE/s1600/DSC_0169.JPG

Rausch
02-17-2015, 05:44 PM
No, not at all. The entrance leads to a narrow hallways. Here's the interior space.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Cheers_(the_real_thing)_(7194333592).jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i76b-EJ4Mc8/UiPltAr5a8I/AAAAAAAAEqE/RlV2HdQCQuE/s1600/DSC_0169.JPG

I is sad.

On the bright side I just got my Cheers shirt a few weeks ago...

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 06:46 PM

I don't think that's even a basement.

The first picture's not too horribly different, though. In concept it's an island bar and the stools are similar. It's just smaller.

sd4chiefs
02-17-2015, 07:05 PM
This boiling hatred is strange. If I were to take some of these posts literally, then the East Coast and/or West Coast (less often, but sometimes) ranks right up there with ISIS in terms of getting CP love.

I've never in my life thought "I wish a ****ing tornado would just wipe out" ANYPLACE in the U.S. And you're one of more rational posters on this board.

My Wife and I went back too Wichita for her 30th high school reunion last year. When someone would ask us where we lived now and we told them San Diego they would look at us like we were a couple of weirdo hippie freaks.

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 08:01 PM

I've never in my life thought "I wish a ****ing tornado would just wipe out" ANYPLACE in the U.S. And you're one of more rational posters on this board.

I know what you mean. I live in a beautiful city that routinely has to field meteor strike requests. I can think of entire continents that I would destroy before wishing ill on an American city.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2015, 08:08 PM

I don't think it's pizza nirvana, but it's tasty.

When I buy store bought pizza, it's usually get Mama Lucia which is thin crust provel as well.

I like Imo's personal pie too. Don't like it reheated at all.

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 08:11 PM

I've never in my life thought "I wish a fucking tornado would just wipe out" ANYPLACE in the U.S. And you're one of more rational posters on this board.

There's two sides to that and you know it.

Coastals might not wish death, but a lot consider us flyover country that doesn't matter, are an embarrassment , stupid hicks, fat wives on the tundra, rednecks, [the only] racists. A lot of Manhattanites think America ends 5 miles into Jersey.

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 08:14 PM
I've only eaten at the local Imo's but all 3 times it was expensive, thin, disgusting $#it.

And I'm not a pizza snob...

I agree it's overpriced for most stuff and they never have specials or coupons.

But where I went, though it's been 5 years, it was $5.00 for the personal and salad.

TimBone
07-10-2015, 03:57 PM

I realize this is a bump from out of nowhere, but damn am I glad to hear somebody else say this. I tried In-N-Out for the first time last October, and have had it four times since. For a fast food joint, I think the burger is great....but those fries are horrendous. They have a stale feeling to them no matter which In-N-Out I get them from.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Yeah...after going to KC, I've got to say, they smash Texas BBQ.

They both suck

TimBone
07-10-2015, 04:05 PM
They both suck
You're wrong, and you still need a hug. I'm here for you, bub.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-10-2015, 04:08 PM
You're wrong, and you still need a hug. I'm here for you, bub.

It's quite likely that I just don't like BBQ.

TimBone
07-10-2015, 04:11 PM
I've tried it from just about all of the so called "barbecue cities" of America, and I'd say if you don't like KC bbq, then bbq might not be your thing.

KCUnited
07-10-2015, 04:14 PM

There aren't may horseshoes in Chicago, but a place down the street from me does them. I tried the Italian beef one. Wasn't bad if you're craving Hope Solo's butthole pouring out of some french fry granny panties.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/KCUnited1/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/f76ee142-39e9-42a7-86ce-6bc96cccbe32_zpshlsyhmfk.jpg

TimBone
07-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Fucking solid Hope Solo reference, bro. Walking to a PC now to rep you.

Coochie liquor
07-10-2015, 07:05 PM
When I grew up in St Louis all I ever heard about was KC bbq, now that I'm out of that cesspool all I hear about is St Louis bbq. Wtf?? Oh yeah and tequila is good!! Coochie liquor out!!

FlaChief58
07-10-2015, 07:08 PM

GTFO YOU COMMIE BASTARD!