PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Answering The Home Phone In 2015 - How do you do it?

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 12:50 PM
We all know most of us have at least one cell phone (perhaps two), and we increasingly communicate via SMS and MMS texts, and email. With that in mind the percentage of legit calls to your house from friends and family is WAAAAAY down compared to stupid calls from vendors so, in the day-and-age of all this technology and caller ID (that can be faked) how do you answer calls on the home line (if you still have one)?

Do you ever answer?

Do you pick up and hang up without saying "hello" (because the robots on the other end know the word "hello" (and some say it's an invite to talk in some legal sense of the word)?

Do you pick up and tell whomever to "fuck off and fist their mother" then hang up?

Do you give the phone to your 3-year-old to talk to them for as long as they'd like, or place the phone in front of the family parrot or TV (tuned to an infomercial)?

Do you let the answering machine pick up?

What do you do?

eDave
02-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Who has a home phone?

Rain Man
02-16-2015, 12:54 PM
If it's a salesperson, I try to sell them market research.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 12:56 PM
You can add pick up the phone and scream into it very loudly to the list of possible things you might do when Kissimmee, FL calls your house in Lee's Summit, MO.

alpha_omega
02-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Simply say "hello". The CID makes for a pretty good screener...for the most part, we usually don't answer unless we know who it is.

kcfanXIII
02-16-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm nothing but rude to telemarketers. They don't deserve respect.

Rain Man
02-16-2015, 01:02 PM
If it's a market research survey, you should always do it. It makes the world a better place.

Unless it's one of those automated ones, of course. Those things are terrible and the people who do them should go out of business.

TribalElder
02-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Who has a home phone?

I do

Ooma telo is the best 129 I've spent

3.86 cents per month for home phone with 5000 minutes = winning the game

Ooma premier allows you to block callers based on caller id but it's like 9 bucks a month

Why Not?
02-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Not even sure what home phones look like these days.

stumppy
02-16-2015, 01:07 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s898wpcgcJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz
Who has a home phone?
Soon enough that's going to be my answer too. My only fear is that they'll just more (even more) to cell phones because it's clear the "DO NOT Call LIST" concept failed. I guess if you've ever worked with the company there's a loophole that allows them to badger you.

Those fuckers.

Donger
"Would you like to buy a monkey?" tends to work rather well.

tooge
02-16-2015, 01:11 PM
We have one, but it's only for internet, or something like that. We live out in the sticks. I haven't answered the home phone in at least two years. I figure if they don't know my cell number, then I didn't like them enough to give it to them. So, I have no desire to talk to them

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 01:13 PM
"Would you like to buy a monkey?" tends to work rather well.I will do that next... Will report!

eDave
02-16-2015, 01:16 PM
I do

Ooma telo is the best 129 I've spent

3.86 cents per month for home phone with 5000 minutes = winning the game

Ooma premier allows you to block callers based on caller id but it's like 9 bucks a month

Excellent. My company just cancelled all company phones. So now I'm between, just using a Lync phone number.

I'm not to hip on another cell contract. I just don't use a phone that much anymore.

TribalElder
02-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Excellent. My company just cancelled all company phones. So now I'm between, just using a Lync phone number.

I'm not to hip on another cell contract. I just don't use a phone that much anymore.

I've had Ooma service for over 2 years. It's great to catch up with friends and family out of state and stay on the phone for hours on end. I would recommend for sure

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM
I have a home phone. Two lines, actually (VOIP through TWC). We get very, very poor cell reception in our home, so it's a necessity.

I have a Panasonic home system with eight phones throughout the house. The system also announces the caller "Call from Mrs. McCloud at Work" type of thing.

To answer the question, I only pick up the phone if it's a friend or family member. Most telemarketers hangup and don't leave a message. If the same number calls repeatedly, I'll trace the call using the internet and if it's something dopey, I'll log into TWC and block the number.

Just Passin' By
02-16-2015, 01:26 PM
I look at the caller ID. If I don't recognize the number, I let it go to voicemail. But I doubt I'll ever willingly get rid of my land line. I'd ditch the cell phone long before I'd ditch the home phone.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 01:27 PM
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s898wpcgcJM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Like... But the "gay lover" question was obvious, all telemarketers are gay.

DaveNull
02-16-2015, 01:27 PM
I have a home phone. Two lines, actually (VOIP through TWC). We get very, very poor cell reception in our home, so it's a necessity.

I have a Panasonic home system with eight phones throughout the house. The system also announces the caller "Call from Mrs. McCloud at Work" type of thing.

To answer the question, I only pick up the phone if it's a friend or family member. Most telemarketers hangup and don't leave a message. If the same number calls repeatedly, I'll trace the call using the internet and if it's something dopey, I'll log into TWC and block the number.

You can pick up a microcell for under $100 that fixes the cell reception issue.

Buehler445
02-16-2015, 01:28 PM
If it's a market research survey, you should always do it. It makes the world a better place.

Unless it's one of those automated ones, of course. Those things are terrible and the people who do them should go out of business.

Fuuuuuuuuuuu******* that. The only ones I get are from the USDA. They ask me acres, crops, irrigation, production, all that shit. Which in and of itself is not that big of a deal. The fucking problem is I've reported ALL of that to the FSA and/or RCIS, which is a fucking direct subsiary of those sisterfucking mongoloid good for nothing windowlickers in the USDA. I make it as much of a pain in the ass as possible. Fuck those ineffective piles of fucking fuck.

Sometimes I get some from the farm journal, but I don't do them either, because the only people that benefit from those are the big grain buyers (Cargill, ADM, etc.) so they can bend my ass over on the basis.

So no. I don't do market research surveys.

Buehler445
02-16-2015, 01:29 PM
In college, my dorm roommate (remember this is 2002) would always answer the dorm phone in the most upbeat voice he could dig up, and say "Taaaaliban." Made my ass laugh every time.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 01:30 PM

It would be nice if they could make that something you could accomplish with some kind of *xyz combination on the handset (call it "block the current number on this call").

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 01:31 PM
In college, my dorm roommate (remember this is 2002) would always answer the dorm phone in the most upbeat voice he could dig up, and say "Taaaaliban." Made my ass laugh every time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iveTOO7uV-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 01:36 PM
I've often wondered why nobody's invented the "personal PBX"?

IOW, a little black box deal that intercepts calls into the house that you program with pass-codes to allow "ring-through."

So you hand-out codes to the last 12 people who still call you so they get through and your phone rings, the rest result in a message that tells them they'll need to contact you otherwise to get a code.

Put WiFi in "the box" and programming it can be done through a password-protected browser or App interface.

And I don't care if that means police/fire/rescue/politicians can't get through. The first three never call, and the last one is less-invited than telemarketers.

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2015, 01:39 PM
You can pick up a microcell for under $100 that fixes the cell reception issue.

Sprint sent us an AirRave and the signal didn't improve.

Frosty
02-16-2015, 01:45 PM
I let it go to the machine. However, part of my wife's job is to find subs and they call our house when they want the day off, I mean call in sick, so she has to answer it and deal with the telemarketers and scammers as well as lazy teachers and aides.

scho63
02-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Who has a home phone?

EXACTLY! :hmmm:

/THREAD

DaFace
02-16-2015, 01:48 PM
What is this "home phone" you speak of? Seems like I had one of those 10-15 years ago, but I can't remember for sure.

Mr. Laz
02-16-2015, 01:49 PM
i have a 3rd party CID/Call Blocker/Call Router

Allows me to block calls completely or send it to a specific phone or answering machine

It's still annoying because companies have bribed the government to continue to allow phone # blocking

They don't get your cell phone # as frequently but it still happens

listopencil
02-16-2015, 01:50 PM
I only have internet and I use a Magic Jack for a house phone. It does come in handy to have a house phone number. I check caller ID when it rings and pick it up if it's someone I feel like talking to, otherwise I let the answering machine do its thing.

Donger
02-16-2015, 01:51 PM
I only have our home line so that I can play with telemarketers. Netalk Duo, or something like that. Whenever it rings, I hear the wife yell to the kids, "Let your father answer that!!"

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 01:52 PM
We all know most of us have at least one cell phone (perhaps two), and we increasingly communicate via SMS and MMS texts, and email. With that in mind the percentage of legit calls to your house from friends and family is WAAAAAY down compared to stupid calls from vendors so, in the day-and-age of all this technology and caller ID (that can be faked) how do you answer calls on the home line (if you still have one)?

Do you ever answer?

Do you pick up and hang up without saying "hello" (because the robots on the other end know the word "hello" (and some say it's an invite to talk in some legal sense of the word)?

Do you pick up and tell whomever to "**** off and fist their mother" then hang up?

Do you give the phone to your 3-year-old to talk to them for as long as they'd like, or place the phone in front of the family parrot or TV (tuned to an infomercial)?

Do you let the answering machine pick up?

What do you do?

I keep my land line because cells do not cover all areas and I prefer it for faxes over efax. I rarely use a fax but when I have gotten rid of it, someone always has to send a fax. So I have all bases covered.

I'd love to get rid of the land line. It's nearly always telemarketers despite being on the Do Not Call list, robo calls by politicians during elections but occasionally it's a valid call. So I do answer. I tell telemarketers that I wll report them for calling me when I am on the Do Not Call. They apologize and promise to scrub their lists. The robo calls I usually just hang up. Though I mostly use my cell now.

It pisses me off when someone gives out my cell to others without asking me. Now I have persistent caller I want nothing do with. Thanks to my sister who has moved here.

Mr. Laz
02-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Who has a home phone?EXACTLY! :hmmm:

/THREADWhat is this "home phone" you speak of? Seems like I had one of those 10-15 years ago, but I can't remember for sure.
I feel bad about myself now because i still have a land line. :sulk:

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 01:53 PM
I let it go to the machine. However, part of my wife's job is to find subs and they call our house when they want the day off, I mean call in sick, so she has to answer it and deal with the telemarketers and scammers as well as lazy teachers and aides.

Yeah, you're not in a good place. Ugh for you...

Donger
02-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Now I have persistent caller I want nothing do with.

That's what happens when you are crazy hot, honey.

BWillie
"Bueno"

"Yeboseyo"

Donger
I feel bad about myself now because i still have a land line. :sulk:

Please tell me it isn't through a telco, though.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 01:55 PM
i have a 3rd party CID/Call Blocker/Call Router

Allows me to block calls completely or send it to a specific phone or answering machine

It's still annoying because companies have bribed the government to continue to allow phone # blocking

They don't get your cell phone # as frequently but it still happens

Make and model?

Mr. Laz
02-16-2015, 01:55 PM

:deevee:

Donger
02-16-2015, 01:56 PM
:deevee:

:eek:

http://www.nettalk.com/

listopencil
02-16-2015, 01:56 PM
A nice feature of the Magic Jack is that it has voice mail. We have some nasty rainy seasons up here every few years and it knocks out the phone service. Weird because internet will still work. So, when that happens you can't even call through to a house phone but people can leave voice mail even though they can't leave a message on the answering machine. A bad feature is that I have to dial 1 and the area code to call out even for a local number. Works fine though.

Frosty
02-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Yeah, you're not in a good place. Ugh for you...

I don't know why she gave them our home phone instead of her cell. It's fun having the phone ring at 5:45 am on Friday, the one day I can sleep in (it's funny how often people are sick on Friday :rolleyes:).

Donger
02-16-2015, 02:00 PM
A nice feature of the Magic Jack is that it has voice mail. We have some nasty rainy seasons up here every few years and it knocks out the phone service. Weird because internet will still work. So, when that happens you can't even call through to a house phone but people can leave voice mail even though they can't leave a message on the answering machine. A bad feature is that I have to dial 1 and the area code to call out even for a local number. Works fine though.

Nettalk actually emails a .wav file of the voicemail and translates it to text in the body of the email.

Just Passin' By
02-16-2015, 02:03 PM

Why? The whole point is to be on something other than your internet. Diversify, don't consolidate.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:05 PM
What is this "home phone" you speak of? Seems like I had one of those 10-15 years ago, but I can't remember for sure.

With young ones in the house it's sort of a must. And I also require all my teleworking staff to have a land line/phone if they want to work from home more than 3-4 times a month.

My staff and I live on the phone, and it's still hard to beat a good speaker phone. And if that's not to your liking, a home phone set that allows for a wireless phone with tethered or bluetooth headset.

We've tried any number of softphones (Cisco, Avaya, you name it), and even LYNC, but in the end a "real' bridge with PRIs with "real" phones work the best. Yes, the soft phones "work" (you can hear people a lot of the time!!!), but with no QoS on the Internet, VPN tunnels, corporate gateways that are never enough (!!!!), when the kids get home from school, we can tell because the calls sound like crap.

All i know is that I'm not using cell minutes when folks spend 4-5 hours a day on the phone, and often time 6-7 a night on technical conference calls.

Pablo
02-16-2015, 02:05 PM
My grandma has a home phone still. She's 75. She usually just answers with 'hello'.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:07 PM
I keep my land line because cells do not cover all areas and I prefer it for faxes over efax. I rarely use a fax but when I have gotten rid of it, someone always has to send a fax. So I have all bases covered.

I'd love to get rid of the land line. It's nearly always telemarketers despite being on the Do Not Call list, robo calls by politicians during elections but occasionally it's a valid call. So I do answer. I tell telemarketers that I wll report them for calling me when I am on the Do Not Call. They apologize and promise to scrub their lists. The robo calls I usually just hang up. Though I mostly use my cell now.

It pisses me off when someone gives out my cell to others without asking me. Now I have persistent caller I want nothing do with. Thanks to my sister who has moved here.

I fax a lot, and I've never had an issue with TWC's service. There's always a warning, but I can fax 10-20 pages and it's never failed.

Mr. Laz
02-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Make and model?
I've had it for a long time. Don't even know if they make them anymore

Interceptor ID is the name i think

Donger
02-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Why? The whole point is to be on something other than your internet. Diversify, don't consolidate.

Cost.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I don't know why she gave them our home phone instead of her cell. It's fun having the phone ring at 5:45 am on Friday, the one day I can sleep in (it's funny how often people are sick on Friday :rolleyes:).

Welp, if you had been at the gym for the last hour-and-fifteen at 5:45am like the rest of us this wouldn't be an issue...

Hint hint!!!

Mr. Laz
02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
:eek:

http://www.nettalk.com/

Yea, but the land line still works if the power goes out.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:12 PM
I've had it for a long time. Don't even know if they make them anymore

Interceptor ID is the name i think

Will look into...

Does it look like this?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JtVQjKNOG8k/S1AFmlYKjPI/AAAAAAAAACU/LpnLMstSNRM/s320/oldansweringmachine.jpg

big nasty kcnut
02-16-2015, 02:12 PM
I say welcome to the brad essex report or if it family. Welcome to pizza hut!

Frosty
02-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Welp, if you had been at the gym for the last hour-and-fifteen at 5:45am like the rest of us this wouldn't be an issue...

Hint hint!!!

I normally have to be at work at 5 am. If I can sleep in, I am going to. :harumph:

Also - "gym" ROFL

listopencil
02-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Nettalk actually emails a .wav file of the voicemail and translates it to text in the body of the email.

Yeah, Magic Jack does that too. I don't know about translating it to text though. I don't think it does that.

Mr. Laz
02-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Will look into...

Does it look like this?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JtVQjKNOG8k/S1AFmlYKjPI/AAAAAAAAACU/LpnLMstSNRM/s320/oldansweringmachine.jpg

:)

http://interceptorid.com/products/p2p.htm

srvy
02-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Dropped ooma 3 years ago and got a obihai box a free google number. no taxes only thing i pay is 6 bucks a year for 911 service. It uses google voice and had excellent call screening. Box was 30 bucks ts very clear and very reliable.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:16 PM
I normally have to be at work at 5 am. If I can sleep in, I am going to. :harumph:

Also - "gym" ROFL

That's it, FUCK THE GYM!!! I'm done with it!

Frosty
02-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah, Magic Jack does that too. I don't know about translating it to text though. I don't think it does that.

My folks had MagicJack for awhile. It was really annoying to talk to them as you had to talk like you were on walkie-talkies. If you talked at the same time, it cut out.

I'm assuming that was an internet speed thing, though.

Frosty
That's it, **** THE GYM!!! I'm done with it!

I would feel the same way, if there actually was a gym around here.

BucEyedPea
I fax a lot, and I've never had an issue with TWC's service. There's always a warning, but I can fax 10-20 pages and it's never failed.

I don't know what that is. If it's a type of e fax, then I just don't care to have to open up email to see if any arrived. I prefer to walk in and see paper in the tray which is immediate. Don't have to turn anything on, or log in to anything. Bunch of extra steps I don't need.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:18 PM
This thread was a lot better when we were yelling "GO FIST YOUR MOTHER YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE" into the phone before we knew who was on the other end!

Rausch
02-16-2015, 02:18 PM
"What?...WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?"

Rausch
02-16-2015, 02:19 PM
This thread was a lot better when we were yelling "GO FIST YOUR MOTHER YOU ****ING ASSHOLE" into the phone before we knew who was on the other end!

Why would it matter who's on the other end?...

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:21 PM
I don't know what that is. If it's a type of e fax, then I just don't care to have to open up email to see if any arrived. I prefer to walk in and see paper in the tray which is immediate. Don't have to turn anything on, or log in to anything. Bunch of extra steps I don't need.

Nope, my "phone" is part of my larger TimeWarner Cable (TWC) bundle of digital services. I just have a multifunction printer/scanner/fax machine (two actually - who want to walk upstairs to print!!!), and it works fine both in and out...

listopencil
02-16-2015, 02:22 PM
My folks had MagicJack for awhile. It was really annoying to talk to them as you had to talk like you were on walkie-talkies. If you talked at the same time, it cut out.

I haven't had any issues with it.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Why would it matter who's on the other end?...

It pisses-off my mother when she calls from the hotel when she's on vacation... You know, with her mother being dead and all...

Donger
02-16-2015, 02:24 PM

Yes, the upstream speeds needed to be at least a few hundred KB for me AND QoS enabled for it to not be crappy. I've got a much bigger pipe now, though.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Nope, my "phone" is part of my larger TimeWarner Cable (TWC) bundle of digital services. I just have a multifunction printer/scanner/fax machine (two actually - who want to walk upstairs to print!!!), and it works fine both in and out...

Oh. Mine is an verizon bundle and I don't have that. But I don't have a printer right now and need a new one.

Jimmya
02-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Still have one for emergencies.

02-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Thank you so much for your liver.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Oh. Mine is an verizon bundle and I don't have that. But I don't have a printer right now and need a new one.

I recommend you stay away from the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. It's nice right up to the point when you figure out that 80% of the time they spent on programming the software was spent making sure not using their stupid-expensive inks was difficult. Don't get me wrong, it's an OK device and works, but it's the last HP I'll own.

All i can say is ask the after-market ink resellers which system is most friendly to their ink cartiges and bulk ink systems and pick one of those. Just to be clear, one round of ink will often time cost you as much as 90% of what the printer cost you when you bought it. So shop for a Multifunction Device (MFD) as much by the ink as the device itself.

Oh, and please remember to tell telemarketers to GO FIST THE FUCKING WHORE MOTHERS (as a public service)...

Joe Seahawk
02-16-2015, 02:38 PM
No land line.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Thank you so much for your liver.

LOL, I'm not sure you're getting much of a deal when you get a liver from a Chiefs fan!

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 02:39 PM
No land line.

No wonder everybody in Seattle ends up killing themselves!

BucEyedPea
02-16-2015, 02:40 PM
I recommend you stay away from the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. It's nice right up to the point when you figure out that 80% of the time they spent on programming the software was spent making sure not using their stupid-expensive inks was difficult. Don't get me wrong, it's an OK device and works, but it's the last HP I'll own.

All i can say is ask the after-market ink resellers which system is most friendly to their ink cartiges and bulk ink systems and pick one of those. Just to be clear, one round of ink will often time cost you as much as 90% of what the printer cost you when you bought it. So shop for a Multifunction Device (MFD) as much by the ink as the device itself.

Yeah the ink is outrageous. Then if you ordered on line and it's a mistake not your fault, you have to print their label for them using your ink and paper. Ouch! I refuse to do that.

Oh, and please remember to tell telemarketers to GO FIST THE ****ING WHORE MOTHERS (as a public service)...

That's not necessary to getting displeasure across from calling me. Sorry but your anger is over the top. Turn the volume down. Seriously, don't have a heart attack.

Perineum Ripper
02-16-2015, 02:54 PM
I normally let it go to answer machine..not many people call back or leave a message after they hear the voice mail

Jack's Sperm Bank, you jack it we pack. (Few seconds delay) Due to Jack drinking the merchandise, the sperm bank is no longer open. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Just Passin' By
02-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Cost.

Cost is easy to minimize, if that's an issue.

Donger
02-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Cost is easy to minimize, if that's an issue.

Well, what does an actual land line add up to now? $30/month?

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Yeah the ink is outrageous. Then if you ordered on line and it's a mistake not your fault, you have to print their label for them using your ink and paper. Ouch! I refuse to do that.

That's not necessary to getting displeasure across from calling me. Sorry but your anger is over the top. Turn the volume down. Seriously, don't have a heart attack.

LMAO, it just fun...

02-16-2015, 03:00 PM
LOL, I'm not sure you're getting much of a deal when you get a liver from a Chiefs fan!

http://www.nounsandviolets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fava-beans.jpg

beach tribe
02-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Broward county abortion clinic, no fetus can beat us

Just Passin' By
02-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Well, what does an actual land line add up to now? $30/month?

I don't minimize my land line costs, so I couldn't tell you what a local only rate would be. I used to pay less than $15 for that type of line, but it's been about 5 years since I had it.

Donger
02-16-2015, 03:13 PM
I don't minimize my land line costs, so I couldn't tell you what a local only rate would be. I used to pay less than $15 for that type of line, but it's been about 5 years since I had it.

Right, and my Duo includes long distance and it's $36.00/year.

It really wasn't anything for me other than $360.00/year for the same thing that I can get for $36.00/year.

Just Passin' By
02-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Right, and my Duo includes long distance and it's $36.00/year.

It really wasn't anything for me other than $360.00/year for the same thing that I can get for $36.00/year.

But, it's not the same thing, and that's the point of diversifying instead of consolidating.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 03:27 PM
"Would you like to buy a monkey?" tends to work rather well.

I was not able to sell them a monkey. Ugh, sales may not be my thing.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 03:28 PM
http://www.nounsandviolets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fava-beans.jpg

Silence of the Lambs rep.....

Donger
02-16-2015, 03:29 PM
But, it's not the same thing, and that's the point of diversifying instead of consolidating.

It achieves the same thing.

Donger
02-16-2015, 04:08 PM
I was not able to sell them a monkey. Ugh, sales may not be my thing.

I should have been more specific. Did you just immediately blurt that out? If so, no, that is wrong. I let them run through their script for a good five minutes or so, randomly inserting a "interesting, tell me more" comment. So, they are getting all excited about making a sale. That is when you ask.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 04:12 PM
I should have been more specific. Did you just immediately blurt that out? If so, no, that is wrong. I let them run through their script for a good five minutes or so, randomly inserting a "interesting, tell me more" comment. So, they are getting all excited about making a sale. That is when you ask.

Fuck!!! Well the good news is it won't be long before they strike again...

So, play along a bit, then pull-out the monkey. Got it....

sd4chiefs
02-16-2015, 04:24 PM
My Wife works at home and needs a land line for conference calls and Fax. We were getting up to 5 Robo calls a day on it. Someone told me about a web site called Nomorobo. Its free and it will screen your calls for you. Now when we get a Robo call the phone rings once and then cuts off the call. Love it.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

FlaChief58
02-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Haven't had a land line in 17 years

displacedinMN
02-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Never answer the ones I do not know.

I feel that some of them are using false Caller ID numbers.
But when I answer and no one answers back, I hang up.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Who has a home phone?

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Does anyone here still have POTS?

Donger
02-16-2015, 06:23 PM

Pretty sure Katipan does, yes.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-16-2015, 06:24 PM
I try not to answer the phone on my own time if all possible.

The sound of a phone ringing is like audible AIDS to me.

lewdog
02-16-2015, 06:24 PM
I don't have a land line because I'm not old.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-16-2015, 06:25 PM

Is that like, rotary?

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-16-2015, 06:26 PM
People use phone books?

Really?

ping2000
02-16-2015, 06:28 PM
I ask them if they can hold on just a sec. Then I just set the phone down. I've had dumb fucks stay on the line for over ten minutes.

lewdog
02-16-2015, 06:29 PM
People use phone books?

Really?

Mine goes directly to the recycling bin when it shows up at my door. I haven't used one since like 2004.

SAUTO
02-16-2015, 06:37 PM
We have to have one due to circumstances. I just let it ring. I havent had a cell phone in almost 2years either.

I answered enough calls today to last me a week. Thank god for school and getting my secretary back.

lewdog
02-16-2015, 06:40 PM
We have to have one due to circumstances. I just let it ring. I havent had a cell phone in almost 2years either.

I answered enough calls today to last me a week. Thank god for school and getting my secretary back.

What does your secretary wear at the office?

Asking for a friend.

keg in kc
02-16-2015, 06:42 PM
If I still had one, it would always go to recording.

Just like my cell phone, unless it's family or work.

DaFace
02-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Is that like, rotary?

Plain Old Telephone Service. Basically, a normal land line that goes through a traditional telephone company rather than any kind of online/VOIP provider.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Pretty sure Katipan does, yes.

LOL

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2015, 06:56 PM
People use phone books?

Really?

No, but it's nice of them to print a portion of the Internet for us to throw away...

chefsos
02-16-2015, 06:56 PM
I don't have a land line, cell service is alternately spotty and nonexistent where I live, my old-ass cellphone doesn't even ring any more, and I'm not even mad about any of these things.

And I never answer the phone. I will check for missed calls or voicemail...once in a while.

Eleazar
02-16-2015, 06:57 PM
I haven't had a home phone since 2002.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-16-2015, 06:59 PM
No, but it's nice of them to print a portion of the Internet for us to throw away...

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-16-2015, 07:00 PM
I haven't had a home phone since 2002.

YOU HAVEN'T HAD A STEADY AVATAR FOR MONTHS. PICK A VIBE AND GO WITH IT FOR A WHILE.

o:-)

Coochie liquor
02-16-2015, 07:03 PM
You can add pick up the phone and scream into it very loudly to the list of possible things you might do when Kissimmee, FL calls your house in Lee's Summit, MO.

What if that was me??

TimeForWasp
02-16-2015, 07:55 PM
The last time I had a land line was around 2007. I ended up getting the old number from the ATT store in town. I kept getting their calls so I started telling people we were giving free phones away and other specials if the hurry up and come down to the store.

Just Passin' By
02-16-2015, 08:21 PM
It achieves the same thing.

Since it's over your internet connection, it's not achieving the same thing.

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Plain Old Telephone Service. Basically, a normal land line that goes through a traditional telephone company rather than any kind of online/VOIP provider.

Tip-and-ring baby... 48 volts of wake-up!!!!!

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 08:30 PM
No, but it's nice of them to print a portion of the Internet for us to throw away...Quality post! Rep...

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 08:32 PM
What if that was me??

You'd have texted me with, "WTF motherfucker?!?!?!?!?!" I didn't get the text, so I'm pretty sure it was Shamoo or Mickey...

listopencil
02-16-2015, 09:06 PM

Post Obama Tourette's Disorder?

GloryDayz
02-16-2015, 09:31 PM

Well, anybody who HAD a POTS line is on cell phone post-Obama...

Frosty
02-17-2015, 09:42 AM

Then I guess we still do have one. CenturyLink requires us to have a landline to get our internet (DSL). Part of the trade-off of living out in the sticks. It's either that or get satellite internet.

Dave Lane
02-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Who has a home phone?

This.

Dave Lane
02-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Plain Old Telephone Service

GloryDayz
02-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Fuck!!! Well the good news is it won't be long before they strike again...

So, play along a bit, then pull-out the monkey. Got it....

Didn't work, the monkey is still mine. Once I knew the sale was lost, I just screamed into the phone...

Rausch
02-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Who has a home phone?

I do.

Never had and never will have a cell phone.

I wouldn't have any phone at all if my job didn't require it and unless I'm expecting a call the thing usually isn't plugged in...

SAUTO
02-17-2015, 12:20 PM
What does your secretary wear at the office?

Asking for a friend.

nighty

GloryDayz
02-27-2015, 09:13 PM
I still have the monkey!!!

I'm going back to yelling!

Imon Yourside
02-28-2015, 03:46 AM

Ironically Taliban simply means student. ;)

GloryDayz
09-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Coming back to this.................

OK, Google Fiber going in this weekend, I need a "real" phone (speaker phone) because I can spend 4000-5000 minutes a month on conference calls.

After a little looking into it I went with Ooma. I just set it up tonight (actually I had the younger son set it up so that he'd learn the pain at a young age :thumb:) and the only hitch was that it didn't like the format of the address. LOL, they had me use Ooma's corporate address and had me fix it later. Hmmmm, perhaps I should call 911 and see if it works, what worked later was exactly what I entered when I activated it! Anyway, other than that, it went well, and even the USB WiFi adapter works kickass...

Anyway.... Anybody else using Ooma? If yes, after the 60-day "Premier" trial, did you keep it?

09-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Whoooooo are you? Who Who who who?

BigMeatballDave
09-17-2015, 02:33 AM
I do.

Never had and never will have a cell phone.

I wouldn't have any phone at all if my job didn't require it and unless I'm expecting a call the thing usually isn't plugged in...

Is your home phone next to your Sony Trinitron and Beta Max? :)

09-17-2015, 02:52 AM
Is your home phone next to your Sony Trinitron and Beta Max? :)

He still uses this
http://www.superior-dollhouse-miniatures.com/484-537-large/old-fashioned-wall-telephone.jpg

Dave Lane
09-17-2015, 06:03 AM
I only have internet and I use a Magic Jack for a house phone. It does come in handy to have a house phone number. I check caller ID when it rings and pick it up if it's someone I feel like talking to, otherwise I let the answering machine do its thing.

Magic Jack rules. Its like $40 for 5 years. I use it to fax on on those rare occasions I have to and to call my cellphone when I can't find it.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2015, 06:06 AM
I haven't had a home land line phone in 7 or 8 years

oldman
09-17-2015, 07:06 AM
I'm sort of in the same boat as Dane. Poor cell reception plus no cable, so VoIP isn't an option. So I amuse myself when I see a number I don't recognize (or do and don't want to talk to them). My college French is still pretty good, so I'll sometimes answer "Oui, quoi" and speak only in French. We also had those scam calls, so after I got the numbers, I'd answer "Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office". Another fun one I've used is "Law office, Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe".

ChiTown
09-17-2015, 07:14 AM
My wife won't let me get rid of the home phone. It's been YEARS since anyone that I have wanted to talk to has called me on my home phone. YEARS. The fucking thing is reserved primarily for telemarketers and general scammers. I hate it, and I hate paying the fucking bill!:cuss:

GloryDayz
09-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Meh, the price argument didn't mean much to me. I spent $129 for the hardware, and not it's $3.50 a month (for taxes) unless I want some features and a second line.

It was close between Ooma and MagicJack, but in the end Ooma won. I'd be lying if I said it was a slam-dunk.

Hell, I'm more pissed at the yet-to-have Google Fiber goons for not offering a hard phone. If you telework and you use a cell phone, everybody hates you... I know my staff had better not! If they do (a lot, or when not on travel), they get to drive into the office and see if a landline is too inconvenient. And for my peeps in places like Dallas and Houston, that's a one-time suggestion before they get a hard phone in their home office!. And when you spend as much time on the phone as I do, it's a speaker phone of the loony bin... And I have every headset known to mankind, and they rock, but I still prefer a speaker phone.

eDave
09-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Magic Jack rules. Its like $40 for 5 years. I use it to fax on on those rare occasions I have to and to call my cellphone when I can't find it.

Worth it.

bevischief
09-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Haven't had one for years.

GloryDayz
09-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Who teleworks (from home) more than 10 days a month, is on calls for a LOT of the day, and doesn't have some form of home phone/land line/hard phone?

I just had one of my Telecom guys run a CDR on my main "at work" line (from before I started teleworking A LOT last year), and I averaged 4800 minutes a month. So that ain't happening in a cell phone!