PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Cornbread

Fire Me Boy!
02-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Northerners like their cornbread with some sweetness to it. Down South, you'll get crucified for adding even a touch of sugar to your batter.

So do you like cornbread? What's your preference, Northern or Southern style? Do you make it, and if so, what's your recipe?

The Franchise
02-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Northern but with jalapenos.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Northerners like their cornbread with some sweetness to it. Down South, you'll get crucified for adding even a touch of sugar to your batter.

So do you like cornbread? What's your preference, Northern or Southern style? Do you make it, and if so, what's your recipe?

Paula Deen's cornbread. So I guess that's southern-style. But her's calls for sugar—but I use stevia. This is the most moist of any recipe I have ever tried. Easy too!

Moist and Easy Cornbread

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/moist-and-easy-cornbread-recipe.html

Sometimes I add things like corn kernels etc. depending on the entree.

TimBone
02-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Plenty of southerners use sugar.

cdcox
02-17-2015, 11:14 AM
The recipe I use, adapted from Jamison and Jamison's BBQ book. I typically make in an iron skillet:

3 slices bacon
1.5 cups stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 t baking soda
1.5 C buttermilk
3 eggs
1 cup fozen corn
2 T butter, melted
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced <-- my addition

Preheat oven to 400F

Cook bacon in skillet, drain and crumble. Leave 1 T of the grease in the skillet and keep warm.

Mix the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk and eggs. Stir just until dry incredients are moistened, leaving some lumps.

Stir in corn, bacon, jalapenos, and butter.

Pour into skillet and bake 20 minutes.

cdcox
02-17-2015, 11:16 AM
The box Jiffy mix is decent and very easy.

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 11:18 AM

I grew up with Jiffy, and therefore it defines corn bread for me. Everything else is just an impersonation.

cdcox
02-17-2015, 11:21 AM
I grew up with Jiffy, and therefore it defines corn bread for me. Everything else is just an impersonation.

My wife prefers it to my cornbread.

Fire Me Boy!
02-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Plenty of southerners use sugar.

Correct, they do, but traditional Southern cornbread does not.

Just Passin' By
02-17-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm definitely pro cornbread.

kepp
02-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Northern but with jalapenos.

Oooo...that sounds good.

DaKCMan AP
02-17-2015, 11:45 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2432343/you-gonna-eat-yo-cornbread-o.gif

unlurking
02-17-2015, 11:49 AM
I prefer to add sweetness via a butter blend. Not the cornbread itself.

Frosty
02-17-2015, 11:59 AM
I never used to like cornbread as it was usually too dry for my taste. My wife makes a really good moist (GF) cornbread now, though, so have changed my mind about it. Not sure if qualifies as northern or southern.

gblowfish
02-17-2015, 12:02 PM

This.

Great on a cold night with a bowl of chili.

Frosty
02-17-2015, 12:08 PM
This.

Way back I was first married, a super quick dinner was to prepare a baking pan of the Jiffy cornbread, pour a can of chili over the batter and allow it to sink in, top with cheese and then bake until the cornbread is done. It was really fast but good.

Rain Man
02-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Way back I was first married, a super quick dinner was to prepare a baking pan of the Jiffy cornbread, pour a can of chili over the batter and allow it to sink in, top with cheese and then bake until the cornbread is done. It was really fast but good.

I used to make a version that put a light coating of raspberry jam on the top of the batter before cooking. I need to do that again.

BucEyedPea
02-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Believe it or not, I never made cornbread, and don't believe I ever ate any in NE, until I moved here when I got into cooking more.

Coochie liquor
02-17-2015, 01:25 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2432343/you-gonna-eat-yo-cornbread-o.gif

ROFLROFL

Buehler445
02-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Wife uses Jiffy.

No sugar on top, but I do use honey in lieu of butter. If I were worth a fuck, I'd make some honey butter and kick all kinds of ass.

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 01:28 PM
I like both. I'm a fan of good crusty southern cornbread with say a pork chops and grean beans, but when I'm making northern beans with the onions and bacon on slow cook, a Jiffy box with sour cream instead of milk in the recipe is the PERFECT accompanient

morphius
02-17-2015, 02:38 PM
I have a feeling what I have eaten always came out of the Jiffy box, but I don't know for sure.

My wife never liked it much, but her family just ate it with just butter. My family ate it with syrup, and has always been one of my favorites.

Just Passin' By
02-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Wife uses Jiffy.

No sugar on top, but I do use honey in lieu of butter. If I were worth a ****, I'd make some honey butter and kick all kinds of ass.

Honey butter on warm cornbread is definitely a win, IMO.

Nzoner
02-17-2015, 02:47 PM
This.

Or a bowl of ham and beans with mustard

Graystoke
02-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Northern.
Sweet with added Crème Style Corn.
Also always use Cast Iron Dutch. Just a habit, cause that's how my Mom does it.

Pepe Silvia
02-17-2015, 02:55 PM
I love me some cornbread. I just had some corn pudding the other day, sensational.

Stewie
02-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Eating corn is like putting a bullet in your head.

frankotank
02-17-2015, 03:01 PM
I leave the cornbread making to the wife...... I used to make it every once in a while but after this one bizarre incident.....I'm done with it.

I'd made some cornbread and I went to pass it to her and she violently smacks it outta my hand and says...."You stay away from me Bishop....you got that!"

I was like....uh....my names not Bishop....but OK....

excessive
02-17-2015, 04:08 PM
"You stay away from me Bishop....you got that!"

I was like....uh....my names not Bishop....but OK...

A reference to Aliens movie, maybe?

Fire Me Boy!
02-17-2015, 04:12 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1RQubFLy53w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm good either way, but I prefer some sweetness.

I usually only eat it with ham and beans.

listopencil
02-17-2015, 07:45 PM
I grew up on Southern style. When I make it good I'll add minced jalapenos, finely diced sharp cheddar cheese and corn to the batter. When I'm being lazy I'll just go with Jiffy mix and follow the directions on the box then add only butter.

mlyonsd
02-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Wife uses Jiffy.

No sugar on top, but I do use honey in lieu of butter. If I were worth a ****, I'd make some honey butter and kick all kinds of ass.Grew up on Jiffy. Wife and I have tried several other recipes but Jiffy is still what I like the best.

The Jiffy box has a recipe for Johnny pancakes, you should try that some weekend morning instead of pancakes. Very good.

listopencil
02-17-2015, 07:52 PM
I think I've mentioned this before but chili cornbread pie is pretty good. Make some polenta and coat the bottom of a glass pie dish with about 1/2 an inch of it, allow to cool and set in the fridge overnight. The next day make up some cornbread batter. Take out the dish and let it come to room temp. Butter up the sides of the dish. Add enough (thick) chili to cover the polenta and then put the batter on top of it, making sure to get the batter on the sides of the dish. Bake it. The chili bakes into the cornbread and the polenta gives you a good solid base.

srvy
02-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Its so simple to make from scratch.

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1 cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk, whole or 2%

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup vegetable oil

I buy the jiffy always it seems when they have the 5 for a few bucks. Buy the time I remember open a box its buggy. Its a sealed plastic bag in the box so those eggs are in the meal.

TimeForWasp
02-17-2015, 10:16 PM
I didn't even know what cornbread was growing up. I didn't know what grits was either. When I first saw grits I thought it was creme of wheat. But liked it once I tried it with butter, salt and pepper. Don't like cornbread at all. Always seems dry as hell and hard to swallow to me.

Baby Lee
02-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Always seems dry as hell and hard to swallow to me.

The dry stuff is for sopping, that's why I like it with pork chops and green beans.

WhawhaWhat
02-17-2015, 10:53 PM
INGREDIENTS

1 1/3 cups (6 2/3 ounces) stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs (2 1/4 cups)
6 T unsalted butter (3oz), cut into 6 pieces
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs plus 1 large yolk

PREPARATION

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.

2. Process corn kernels in blender until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Transfer puree to medium saucepan (you should have about 1½ cups). Cook puree over medium heat, stirring constantly, until very thick and deep yellow and it measures 3/4 cup, 5 to 8 minutes.

3. Remove pan from heat. Add 5 tablespoons butter and whisk until melted and incorporated. Add buttermilk and whisk until incorporated. Add eggs and yolk and whisk until incorporated. Transfer corn mixture to bowl with cornmeal mixture and, using rubber spatula, fold together until just combined.

4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Scrape batter into skillet and spread into even layer. Bake until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 23 to 28 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cornbread from skillet and let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.

Valiant
02-17-2015, 11:36 PM
Sweet cornbread. Either eat it as a desert with butter or you pair it with something spicy and hot to balance it out..

HonestChieffan
02-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Old south cornbread used white corn, no sugar.

2bikemike
02-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Personally I like it with a touch of sweetness. Thats the way my mom made it.

I never really knew there was a difference between North and South Cornbread. However the first time I made Ham and Beans with Corn Bread my wife from Michigan was a little incredulous. She couldn't believe that was a meal. Damn Northerners!

frankotank
02-18-2015, 02:20 PM
"You stay away from me Bishop....you got that!"

I was like....uh....my names not Bishop....but OK...

A reference to Aliens movie, maybe?

:doh!:

I thought it was pretty funny when I typed it.....
yes.....obviously Aliens.

when I typed it I figured mostly people would get it......mostly....
HAHAHAHA!

frankotank
02-18-2015, 02:21 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1RQubFLy53w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

was gonna put this in there but it doesn't actually show Ripley smack the cornbread tray out of Bishops hands.
sigh....

dammit we can't have nice things

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2017, 09:13 AM
If you like the sweet, moist cornbread from the north, this recipe is a definite winner: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/sweet-moist-northern-style-cornbread-recipe.html

gblowfish
10-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Tippins used to make really great cornbread with honey butter. Yum.

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Tippins used to make really great cornbread with honey butter. Yum.

I made some of Alton Brown's honey butter. It's pretty damn good. It's a pound of butter, 1/4c. honey, 1/2t. cinnamon, 1/2t. vanilla.

It was OK with the cornbread, but I think it'd be amazeballs on French toast.