View Full Version : Chiefs Randall Cobb A Tempting Move for Chiefs

Mr. Kotter
02-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Interesting thoughts by Teicher.... :hmmm:

Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Signing Randall Cobb a tempting move for Chiefs
By Adam Teicher

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/

INDIANAPOLIS -- While we're waiting for the scouting combine and all its festivities to begin in earnest, Scott Kacsmar of Football Outsiders has posted an interesting piece suggesting a bold move for each of the AFC West teams.

For the Kansas City Chiefs, his move is to sign wide receiver Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers.

Cobb
In a perfect world, what's not to like about this move? We know how deficient the Chiefs were at wide receiver last season, and since then they've dumped a couple of those unproductive players, Donnie Avery and A.J. Jenkins. The Chiefs at the moment have just three wide receivers under contract who caught a pass for them last season.

In 2014 Cobb caught 91 passes, or 38 fewer than all of the Chiefs' wide receivers combined, and scored 12 touchdowns, or 12 more than the Chiefs wide receivers combined. Cobb had 80 catches and eight TDs in 2012, his previous full season for the Packers.

Cobb would be playing in a similar offense in Kansas City to the one in Green Bay. As Kacsmar points out, there's a difference between the two quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers is more willing to go downfield than Alex Smith. But Cobb would operate mainly from the slot. so he's going to catch a lot of shorter throws.

But it's not a perfect world. Kacsmar suggests Cobb is looking for a contract worth $9 million per season. The Chiefs look to be tight against the salary cap and that's before signing or placing the franchise tag on Justin Houston. That's without signing center Rodney Hudson.

So $9 million per year for Cobb would be difficult for the Chiefs. But it's not impossible if they clear out or restructure the contracts of veterans such as Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe and Chase Daniel.

"Kansas City is 0-6 against Denver since Peyton Manning went there, and more offensive firepower to compete in the division has been a necessity this team has ignored," Kacsmar writes. "Travis Kelce had a good showing at tight end in 2014 and Jamaal Charles is still a dangerous dual-threat back, but Cobb would really give this offense a rounded attack. When your coach is in his 17th year and the quarterback is going on 31, this is the time to be aggressive in the offseason. Remember, the Chiefs managed to beat both Super Bowl teams last year despite missing the playoffs at 9-7.

The Franchise
02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
No thanks.

Chief Pote
02-18-2015, 10:30 AM
I hope we can get Aaron Rodgers as a package deal.

BossChief
02-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Cut Bowe as a June 1st designation to save 9.5 million and make it happen IF HE CAN STEP RIGHT IN AND BE A DIFFERENCE MAKER.

I think that would be a mistake

Sure-Oz
02-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Parkins wants them to sign Mike Williams for cheap too

RealSNR
02-18-2015, 11:22 AM
That will go down about as well as Minnesota signing Greg Jennings did.

Speaking of which, they figure to cut his bloated contract. I'd be in favor of brining him in for 3.5-4 million/year

WakkaWakka
02-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Sorry, not a chance. He's not leaving Green Bay.

HemiEd
02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
As Kacsmar points out, there's a difference between the two quarterbacks.

ROFL

CaliforniaChief
02-18-2015, 11:39 AM
I'd rather spend our limited cap room on Justin Houston and shoring up the OL.

The draft has TONS of ready-made NFL talent that will be a helluva lot cheaper than a FA WR.

Let's go that route.

Just Passin' By
02-18-2015, 11:42 AM
IF Cobb wants $9 million, you have to ask whether or not he can be a legit WR1. You don't want another Decker situation.

The Franchise
02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
IF Cobb wants $9 million, you have to ask whether or not he can be a legit WR1. You don't want another Decker situation.

I don't think he can be. And I don't think he's worth $9 million a year.

Urc Burry
02-18-2015, 11:46 AM
I think we have a better shot at Percy Harvin over Maclin/Cobb. He is going to scare a lot of teams away for good reason, but he should come quite a bit cheaper

Easy 6
02-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Harvin?

No way, in this offense he'd be crying for the ball and disrupting the lockerroom by game 2.

And he's also not a complete receiver, no thanks.

saphojunkie
02-18-2015, 12:03 PM
I feel like Cobb is the perfect player for this offense and Alex Smith. We need guys who get separation, or they'll never see the ball.

KC Dan
02-18-2015, 12:04 PM
too much dinero, though I love his play

Titty Meat
02-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Cobb is the best fit out of all the free agent WR's he can work from the slot where Alex likes to throw.

Mr. Kotter
02-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Cobb is the best fit out of all the free agent WR's he can work from the slot where Alex likes to throw.

That's my thought...but I hope it can be done at a reasonable cost. That said, I do thinks it's unlikely he leaves GB.

Pepe Silvia
02-18-2015, 03:04 PM
You can't have Cobb.

In58men
02-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Chiefs will be content with Hakeem Nicks or Miles Austin.

Remember we don't make big time moves. That's not us.

Eureka
02-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Chiefs will be content with Hakeem Nicks or Miles Austin.

Remember we don't make big time moves. That's not us.

Honestly KC is no mans land regarding WR. Zero TD's thrown to WR is a scary proposition for any free agent WR.

Red Dawg
02-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Cobb is a pipe dream. He would only come here if we over paid (we can't) or if he wanted to do Dorsey a favor, which he won't. A team will give him 10 mil per and it will probably be the Packers.

In58men
02-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Honestly KC is no mans land regarding WR. Zero TD's thrown to WR is a scary proposition for any free agent WR.

Because we are the Chiefs

In58men
02-18-2015, 03:28 PM
Remember when Todd Haley was suppose to bring over Larry Fitzgerald?

frankotank
02-18-2015, 03:38 PM
http://www.convictedartistmagazine.com/images/stories/randall_tex_cobb.jpg

dls6501
02-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Whether or not you personally view Alex Smith as the reason (problem) as to why our receivers caught ZERO touchdowns this year is not the issue.

What IS the issue, is the fact that our receivers caught ZERO touchdowns this year.

Whatever the reason may be, how can any respectable WR willingly choose to go to a place like that?

Lex Luthor
02-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Whether or not you personally view Alex Smith as the reason (problem) as to why our receivers caught ZERO touchdowns this year is not the issue.

What IS the issue, is the fact that our receivers caught ZERO touchdowns this year.

Whatever the reason may be, how can any respectable WR willingly choose to go to a place like that?

I can think of several million reasons why.

That being said, I'd much rather see them draft at least two wide receivers. This draft is deep at that position.

IowaChiefs83
02-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Doesn't Albert Wilson possess the same skill sets Cobb would bring? Obviously Cobb is the better more accomplished receiver but I think we need a different kind of receiver.

KC Dan
02-18-2015, 04:17 PM

That being said, I'd much rather see them draft at least two wide receivers. This draft is deep at that position.Agreed, totally agree. I want to see young, big, fast receivers with an ability to get open. Our WR's don't get open for schnizzle

dls6501
02-18-2015, 04:19 PM

That being said, I'd much rather see them draft at least two wide receivers. This draft is deep at that position.

Right. Like I said, it doesnt matter if you think the reason no receivers caught a TD was due to Alex Smith's limitations, scheme, offensive line, poor receivers or a combination of any of the above.

Whatever the reason, I just cant see any real WR worth a damn willingly signing up for that.

Pablo
02-18-2015, 04:23 PM
No thanks. We need to draft our own legit WR; so that when Alex has milked this franchise dry and is forced out in a couple more seasons we have a real weapon for our drafted QB(LOL, I know, it will be another retread).

ChiefRocka
02-18-2015, 04:38 PM
I feel like Cobb is the perfect player for this offense and Alex Smith. We need guys who get separation, or they'll never see the ball.

Could not have said it better.

BigChiefFan
02-18-2015, 05:32 PM
$9 million a year for a slot receiver is absurd.

Simply Red
02-18-2015, 05:36 PM
That's my thought...but I hope it can be done at a reasonable cost. That said, I do thinks it's unlikely he leaves GB.

Pretty much this + Billay's preceding comment. Yup - about right. I would absolutely love to have Dez - of course I know better than that. :deevee:

Mr. Laz
02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
The Chiefs at the moment have just three wide receivers under contract who caught a pass for them last season.
A question for all the grammar freaks.

Shouldn't this sentence be:

At the moment the Chiefs have just three ......

or

At the moment, the Chiefs have just three....

or

The Chiefs have just three wide receivers at the moment who have caught...

Something about the original just sounds weird.

My grammar sucks so it could just be me. People have also told me i have a unusual way of phasing things.

:shrug:

O.city
02-18-2015, 05:41 PM
I think

The Chiefs, at the moment, have just three wr's under contract

But not for sure.

Mr. Laz
02-18-2015, 05:44 PM
I think

The Chiefs, at the moment, have just three wr's under contract

But not for sure.

thought about that too

the original doesn't seem correct

keg in kc
02-18-2015, 05:44 PM
A question for all the grammar freaks.

Shouldn't this sentence be:

At the moment the Chiefs have just three ......

or

At the moment, the Chiefs have just three....

or

The Chiefs have just three wide receivers at the moment who have caught...

Something about the original just sounds weird.

My grammar sucks so it could just be me. People have also told me i have a unusual way of phasing things.

:shrug:I probably would have gone with "At the moment, the Chiefs" or "The Chiefs, at the moment,"

Actually I probably would've just used "right now" instead.

Jim Lahey
02-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Our cap is shit. Cobb is going to command a big contract. We're more than likely going to have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds in a WR heavy draft. Dorsey went after WRs in these rounds in his last handful of years in Green Bay.
Nelson - 3rd
Jennings & Cobb - 2nd

Not happening. Doesn't hurt to dream though.

Mr. Laz
02-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Our cap is shit. Cobb is going to command a big contract. We're more than likely going to have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds in a WR heavy draft. Dorsey went after WRs in these rounds in his last handful of years in Green Bay.
Nelson - 3rd
Jennings & Cobb - 2nd

Not happening. Doesn't hurt to dream though.I don't know how our cap went to shit so fast.

during the final years of the previous administration we were talking about staying above the league minimum. About how Charles got ripped off with such a low contract. How about Hali contract was great because it was so backloaded etc.

Low cap number and few pieces away from being a playoff level team(HC + QB)

We add those pieces and made the playoffs. :clap:

then everything turned to shit

more pieces needed now to make the playoffs then before
bunch of players coming up are going to take big money
aging and/or overpaid players killing us

:banghead: :banghead:

bsp4444
02-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Phillip Dorsett gets separation. Much cheaper option.

keg in kc
02-18-2015, 06:24 PM
bunch of players coming up are going to take big moneyI tend to think of that as a good thing.

Better that than a bunch of Tyson Jacksons.

Mr. Laz
02-18-2015, 06:29 PM
I tend to think of that as a good thing.

Better that than a bunch of Tyson Jacksons.

and if you can't/won't keep them and that keeps you from getting anyone else?

jonzie04
02-18-2015, 08:07 PM
9m seems reasonable for Cobb. I think he could put up 1200+ even with Alex

RunKC
02-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Mother**** $9m Randall Cobb. Get Phillip Dorsett or Devin Smith. They are the same type of player.

Those 2 could do big things in this system.

Ragged Robin
02-18-2015, 08:13 PM
not another midget/gadget player pls... especially for 9M/y. the answer at WR is in the first or second round I promise :(

jonzie04
02-18-2015, 08:29 PM
$9 million a year for a slot receiver is absurd.

Who cares where he lines up. He's a 1300 yard 10+ td a year guy and is one of the best yac receivers in the nfl. 8-9m isn't a lot to for that kind of production

Sorter
02-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Who cares where he lines up. He's a 1300 yard 10+ td a year guy and is one of the best yac receivers in the nfl. 8-9m isn't a lot to for that kind of production

Pretty much this.

BigChiefFan
02-18-2015, 08:51 PM

Because typically a slot receiver isn't on the field every offensive play. That's a lot of coin for a WR that isn't in on every offensive play. We run too many 2 TE sets to get our money's worth. I agree he could be productive, but you don't spend that kind of money on a 3rd WR, which is basically what the slot receiver is.

Urc Burry
02-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Because typically a slot receiver isn't on the field every offensive play. That's a lot of coin for a WR that isn't in on every offensive play. We run too many 2 TE sets to get our money's worth. I agree he could be productive, but you don't spend that kind of money on a 3rd WR, which is basically what the slot receiver is.

Out of the top 4 FA wr's he was on the field more than Dez and Maclin, and just below D. Thomas. He is much more than a slot receiver

Urc Burry
02-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Granted GB runs a lot of 3 WR sets, but he was still out there as the #2 receiver

BigChiefFan
02-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Out of the top 4 FA wr's he was on the field more than Dez and Maclin, and just below D. Thomas. He is much more than a slot receiver

Direct from the article...Cobb would be playing in a similar offense in Kansas City to the one in Green Bay. As Kacsmar points out, there's a difference between the two quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers is more willing to go downfield than Alex Smith. But Cobb would operate mainly from the slot. so he's going to catch a lot of shorter throws.

Sorter
02-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Questions:

1. Do you think Randall Cobb will only play in the slot?
2. Do you think Randall Cobb immediately becomes an ineffective receiver once moved outside the numbers?
3. How often did the Chiefs utilize 2TE personnel groupings vs. 3+WR?
4. If you have 2TE personnel and still have Cobb "in the slot" via alignment, does that still make him a waste?

BigChiefFan
02-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Again, operate mainly from the slot. My point stands. Yes, he would be very productive, but you don't pay that much money for a slot receiver.

Sorter
02-18-2015, 08:58 PM

ROFL

BigChiefFan
02-18-2015, 09:02 PM
ROFL

You obviously don't know shit about football. Here ya go back to school...what is a slot receiver?
i was just wondering cuz i thought it was third string
7 Answers • Football (American)

Best Answer (Chosen by Asker)
a slot receiver is technically listed as the third string on an NFL roster which means the receiver will see limited action. someone you would know who plays the slot receiver is Wes Welker. You will see that he is not in on every play like the outside two receiver commonly are. The slot is used a lot on third downs and typically manages the inside of the field.

Sorter
02-18-2015, 09:14 PM
You obviously don't know shit about football. Here ya go back to school
Obviously.

...what is a slot receiver?
i was just wondering cuz i thought it was third string
7 Answers • Football (American)

Best Answer (Chosen by Asker)
a slot receiver is technically listed as the third string on an NFL roster which means the receiver will see limited action. someone you would know who plays the slot receiver is Wes Welker. You will see that he is not in on every play like the outside two receiver commonly are. The slot is used a lot on third downs and typically manages the inside of the field.

I enjoyed your answer pulled from wherever the fuck it came from. It definitely helps clarify your alarming case of dumbassery.

I'm curious to your lack of response to my list of questions I posted earlier. Clearly, with your superior knowledge of football you should have been able to answer them. I'll post them again in the hopes that you'll grace us with your dazzling intellect.

1. Do you think Randall Cobb will only play in the slot?
2. Do you think Randall Cobb immediately becomes an ineffective receiver once moved outside the numbers?
3. How often did the Chiefs utilize 2TE personnel groupings vs. 3+WR?
4. If you have 2TE personnel and still have Cobb "in the slot" via alignment, does that still make him a waste?

If you had read these questions and understood them, Oh Mighty Football Savant, you would have realized that your quoted "argument" is at best, absolute idiocy.

Why don't you watch a few Chiefs games whilst understanding the route concepts utilized? You might see then that despite how you view the "slot player", the Chiefs actually use quite a bit of route concepts with a player aligned in the slot. Sometimes this if from 2X2, 3X1, and 2TE2WR1B personnel. Crazy, I know.

Julian Edelman plays quite a bit in the slot. Do you consider him 3rd string?

Dante84
02-18-2015, 09:19 PM
I dont give a shit where he lines up
I dont give a shit how much he is on the field

As long as he drops nasty stats, and helps us win.

And he can do those things.

IowaChiefs83
02-18-2015, 09:19 PM

1300 yard 10+ td with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the football. It's all a mute point anyways seeing how Cobb is going to Denver.

Dante84
02-18-2015, 09:20 PM
1300 yard 10+ td with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the football. It's all a mute point anyways seeing how Cobb is going to Denver.

moot point

Dante84
02-18-2015, 09:20 PM
And Sanders plays Cobb's role in Denver, so no, he's not going to Denver.

Just Passin' By
02-18-2015, 09:53 PM

People keep making this argument, yet the Jets were able to get Decker last year, despite having GeNO! Smith as their QB.

Money talks.

Just Passin' By
02-18-2015, 09:56 PM

Wes Welker was the WR1 in Boston for years, despite being a slot WR.

Sorter
02-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Wes Welker was the WR1 in Boston for years, despite being a slot WR.

HE WAS THIRD STRING DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING!?

LMAO

Tribal Warfare
02-18-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm confident that Cobb isn't coming a metric kilometer to KC with Alex as the starting QB. So let's move along from this notion.

MotherfuckerJones
02-18-2015, 11:28 PM
No way this happens. Not with our cap situation and Bowe making 11 million.

-King-
02-19-2015, 12:47 AM
I'm confident that Cobb isn't coming a metric kilometer to KC with Alex as the starting QB. So let's move along from this notion.

Desean Jackson went to go play with RGWheelchair
Mike Wallace went to go play with Tannehill
Greg Jennings went to go play with what ever bum they had in Minnesota at the time

Players go where the money is. They also look at systems. A player like Cobb or Maclin knows he can thrive in Reid's system.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
02-19-2015, 12:55 AM
No way this happens. Not with our cap situation and Bowe making 11 million.

Bowe will restructure or get cut. Halo will restructure. Berry will settle. And other players will get cut. There will be room.

I do think he'll resign with Green Bay though. Maclin in the other hand I think he'll reach free agency.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-19-2015, 01:01 AM
Bowe will restructure or get cut. Halo will restructure. Berry will settle. And other players will get cut. There will be room.

I do think he'll resign with Green Bay though. Maclin in the other hand I think he'll reach free agency.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a feeling that Maclin will leave his options open, especially with the rumors of Philly wanting to trade up or move on from Foles.

Worse case scenario is that he ends up in New England.