PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Oil Pulling for Oral Health

Hammock Parties
02-21-2015, 04:28 PM
http://wellnessmama.com/7866/oil-pulling-for-oral-health/

Oil pulling is an age-old remedy that uses natural substances to clean and detoxify teeth and gums. It has the added effect of whitening teeth naturally and evidence even shows that it is beneficial in improving gums and removing harmful bacteria!

The basic idea is that oil is swished in the mouth for a short time each day and that this action helps improve oral health. Just as with Oil Cleansing for the skin, the principle of “like dissolves like” applies, as oil is able to cut through plaque and remove toxins without disturbing the teeth or gums.

The practice of oil pulling started in India thousands of years ago, and from my research, was first introduced to the United States in the early 1990s by a medical doctor named Dr. F. Karach, who used it with success in his medical practice.

How to Do Oil Pulling:

The concept is incredibly simple. Basically, a person swishes a couple teaspoons of a vegetable based oil (coconut, sesame or olive) in the mouth for 20 minutes and then spits it out and rinses well. Oil pulling is best done in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, though Dr. Bruce Fife suggests that it can be done before each meal if needed for more severe infections or dental problems.

How to do oil pulling:

Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth. I prefer to use 2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil. I scoop it out as a solid and let it melt in my mouth before swishing (I don’t like the texture of solid coconut oil). I also pour a few drops of Brushing Blend (naturally antibacterial) into the mix.

Swish for 20 minutes. Apparently the timing is key, according to Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Oil Pulling Therapy, as this is long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. The oil will get thicker and milky as it mixed with saliva during this time and it should be creamy-white when spit out.

Spit oil into the trash can. Especially if you have a septic system like I do… don’t spit into the sink! Do not swallow the oil as it is hopefully full of bacteria, toxins and pus that are now not in the mouth!

Rinse well with warm water. Warm water seems to clean the mouth better (my opinion). I swish a few times with warm water to get any remaining oil out of my mouth.

Brush well. I prefer to brush with Brushing Blend to make sure any remaining bacteria is killed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2015, 04:32 PM
It's complete horseshit.

BucEyedPea
02-21-2015, 04:33 PM
Coconut oil is naturally antiseptic. So it is really good for your gums.

I never heard of oil pulling though.

Dante84
02-21-2015, 04:33 PM
I got something you can slather in oil and pull

BlackHelicopters
02-21-2015, 04:35 PM
I tell all my patients about oil pulling.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2015, 04:37 PM
It's complete horseshit.

Yes. Completely.

BucEyedPea
02-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Yes. Completely.

How so?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2015, 04:40 PM
How so?

I researched this about a year ago and what I read said it had absolutely no value. I'll try and dig up the links.

AustinChief
02-21-2015, 04:51 PM
It's complete horseshit.

It's not COMPLETE horseshit. Certain oils have anti-microbial properties and I'm sure it does reduce the level of bacteria in the mouth. It also is known to reduce plaque http://www.jaypeejournals.com/eJournals/ShowText.aspx?ID=5204&Type=FREE&TYP=TOP&IN=_eJournals/images/JPLOGO.gif&IID=400&isPDF=YES

BUT where it may be horseshit is in how effective it is compared to just using mouthwash. I have no clue but my knee jerk reaction is that you could sub in an antimicrobial mouthwash and get the same results with much better flavor.

Seems like this is useful info should I get stuck on a tropical island and have access to only coconuts for oral health.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2015, 04:56 PM
It's not COMPLETE horseshit. Certain oils have anti-microbial properties and I'm sure it does reduce the level of bacteria in the mouth. It also is known to reduce plaque http://www.jaypeejournals.com/eJournals/ShowText.aspx?ID=5204&Type=FREE&TYP=TOP&IN=_eJournals/images/JPLOGO.gif&IID=400&isPDF=YES

BUT where it may be horseshit is in how effective it is compared to just using mouthwash. I have no clue but my knee jerk reaction is that you could sub in an antimicrobial mouthwash and get the same results with much better flavor.

Seems like this is useful info should I get stuck on a tropical island and have access to only coconuts for oral health.

That's almost exactly what I came up when researching it, so yes, not complete horseshit, but horseshit enough that I'll stick with Scope.

suzzer99
02-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I only pay attention to dubious health claims that start with "bulletproof..."

Bwana
02-21-2015, 05:08 PM
There will be some poor bastard on here that will skim the OP over and be gargling with Mobil One tomorrow morning.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2015, 05:19 PM
I'm trying to figure out who has the time to do that for 20 minutes every day.

Hammock Parties
02-21-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm trying to figure out who has the time to do that for 20 minutes every day.

Like you don't sit at a computer for 20+ minutes every day.

ThaVirus
02-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Seems like a pretty healthy alternative to the mouthwashes you'll find on the shelves.

Coconut oil is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral while we know the fluoride in mouthwash is pretty toxic.

Donger
02-21-2015, 05:39 PM
There will be some poor bastard on here that will skim the OP over and be gargling with Mobil One tomorrow morning.

What a horrible waste of oil.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2015, 06:04 PM
fluoride in mouthwash is pretty toxic.

Not this shit again.

Also, Listerine's active ingredients are all derived from essential oils, like menthol and thymol

Mr. Laz
02-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide seems to work pretty well for me.

dilute it and swish around in your mouth before bed and you're good to go

If you use flossing sticks, you can also 'dunk' the end of it in Hydrogen Peroxide so that it gets between you teeth and down into the gum pockets.

AustinChief
02-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Not this shit again.

I blame the godless commies!

Also, Listerine's active ingredients are all derived from essential oils, like menthol and thymol

Yeah, I just can't imagine it's any more effective than Listerine. But like I said, good to know if all you have available are coconuts.

O.city
02-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Just brush your teeth and floss. End of problem

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide seems to work pretty well for me.

dilute it and swish around in your mouth before bed and you're good to go

If you use flossing sticks, you can also 'dunk' the end of it in Hydrogen Peroxide so that it gets between you teeth and down into the gum pockets.

Hydrogen Peroxide destroys fibroblasts and retards the healing process in damaged skin. It is a mild oxidizing agent at three percent, which is why it will bleach your teeth, but it really shouldn't be used for wound control/anti-microbial purposes anymore.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide destroys fibroblasts and retards the healing process in damaged skin. It is a mild oxidizing agent at three percent, which is why it will bleach your teeth, but it really shouldn't be used for wound control/anti-microbial purposes anymore.

Jesus. That's good to know.

ThaVirus
02-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Not this shit again

Am I missing something?

O.city
02-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Fluoride is toxic at high levels. I'm not breaking out the old perio text books, but unless you consume a tube of toothpaste like astronaut food, you're ok.

And it's great for remineralization of teeth

Fish
02-21-2015, 06:27 PM
OMG.. toxins everwhere!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Am I missing something?

US drinking water has perfectly safe levels of fluoride ions in it. People are routinely terrified by common elements with little toxicity.

Simply Red
02-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Known about it for a long time. Coconut oil - yup - this is why I procure coconut oil. Actually I'm impressed someone else knows of this - well done Claynus :clap:

Simply Red
02-21-2015, 06:31 PM
be sure you rinse well when you do these apps.

Mr. Laz
02-21-2015, 06:32 PM
coconut oil is good for the skin,hair,cooking,oral care

It's not magic but it's a good natural antibacterial