PDA

View Full Version : Draft Need - Defensive End

Chiefnj2
02-23-2015, 10:50 AM
I can't help but think that part of KC's problems with run defense, wasn't limited to ILB. What about the loss of Jackson and DeVito as run stoppers? Are you happy with the current Ends? If you think it needs to be upgraded, which round and which player(s)?

Nightfyre
02-23-2015, 11:05 AM
You've got Bailey and Walker and Howard, all of whom played adequately. You can sign Vickerson to a relatively friendly deal as well and then you have some depth. If I was going to look at someone to step in and upgrade the defensive line, it would have to be Jordan Phillips from Oklahoma or Danny Shelton of Washington. Those boys are freaks at NT and allow you to bring in a ton of beef along the line if you play them and bump Poe to DE. Additionally, I like the idea of bringing in Terrance Knighton to spell Poe or play in certain packages with Poe.

RealSNR
02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Re-sign Vickerson.

Problem solved.

Bailey's done a lot to improve his 1-gapping on passing downs, and he's going to continue to get better as a run defender. Howard is already an adequate run-stopper (at least as good as Jackson ever was). No clue what the Chiefs' plans for Vance Walker are. Catapano is coming back, so eh, you never know.

I really wouldn't bother investing anything more than a 4th or 5th rounder on the position. Which means Dorsey, of course, will go DE in the 1st round.

Chief Roundup
02-23-2015, 11:47 AM
If the DL was part of the problem against the run then you can't be happy bringing back the same group.
Maybe some improved play from the ILB position as well as some more experience for the current group can help, but is it enough?
We have seen that our last 2 years of 1st rounds have been to replace contracts as well as players. If they continue on that trend NT could very well be on their radar to replace Poe who will command big money.

Nightfyre
02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
The DL kept the linebackers clean. The ILBs were just awful.

RealSNR
02-23-2015, 11:55 AM
I know the Jets under Ryan rarely had problems stopping the run. They had more talent, but how was their defensive line to ours comparatively?

It would seem to me that the Chiefs have had a tougher time adjusting to the new 1-gap. Bitch about Romeo's defensive scheme all you want, (I know I have) but the 2-gap we ran didn't give us all that many problems ever, and that was with some pretty shitty players (2009-2011 era Jackson and Ron fucking Edwards at NT, most prominently).

Not saying we should switch back, but logically it makes sense that the immediate problems a team might have in that transition involve the run defense. In the 1-gap, your guys are looking to beat their blocker instead of letting the play develop a bit and then going where you will be most effective. If you have players that struggle in redirection, some RBs will occasionally squirt through. So then is the key to getting a Rex Ryan-level 1-gap defense in the linebackers? Do we need those guys to be better? I would point to DJ's injury, but we had problems the year before as well.

ct
02-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Re-sign Vickerson.

Problem solved.

Bailey's done a lot to improve his 1-gapping on passing downs, and he's going to continue to get better as a run defender. Howard is already an adequate run-stopper (at least as good as Jackson ever was). No clue what the Chiefs' plans for Vance Walker are. Catapano is coming back, so eh, you never know.

I really wouldn't bother investing anything more than a 4th or 5th rounder on the position. Which means Dorsey, of course, will go DE in the 1st round.

Just wondering, how long does it take a DLman to 'develop' into a solid run defender? i like Bailey, but just askin the Q.

Hoover
02-23-2015, 04:11 PM
I like Howard and Bailey. Lunch pail kind of guys are what you need in the 3-4. If we keep DeVito I think we will have excellent depth at the position.

Just Passin' By
02-23-2015, 04:43 PM
I know the Jets under Ryan rarely had problems stopping the run. They had more talent, but how was their defensive line to ours comparatively?

It would seem to me that the Chiefs have had a tougher time adjusting to the new 1-gap. Bitch about Romeo's defensive scheme all you want, (I know I have) but the 2-gap we ran didn't give us all that many problems ever, and that was with some pretty shitty players (2009-2011 era Jackson and Ron ****ing Edwards at NT, most prominently).

Not saying we should switch back, but logically it makes sense that the immediate problems a team might have in that transition involve the run defense. In the 1-gap, your guys are looking to beat their blocker instead of letting the play develop a bit and then going where you will be most effective. If you have players that struggle in redirection, some RBs will occasionally squirt through. So then is the key to getting a Rex Ryan-level 1-gap defense in the linebackers? Do we need those guys to be better? I would point to DJ's injury, but we had problems the year before as well.

The Jets defensive line is excellent. Poe's better than Harrison, but Richardson (especially) and Wilkerson are both great players. What Ryan liked to do was use that line as the base of his strength, and then overload the box. The QB and C wouldn't know who was coming and who was dropping back, which created significant problems. It played havoc with struggling OLs but, if the OL held up, it could lead to real problems for that defense in the post-Revis era, because the secondary and linebackers could really get exposed.

CleveSteve
02-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Snacks is no slouch, either. They are three solid and Ellis is a good backup on the nose. They have some tough decisions this offseason.

Saccopoo
02-23-2015, 08:22 PM
The DL kept the linebackers clean. The ILBs were just awful.

This.

They were fucking horrible.

I can't believe we ended up with the #7 ranked defense with that group (minus Berry).

Bob Sutton did an absolutely masterful job last year. Talk about chicken salad out of chicken shit...

Saccopoo
02-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Besides, we were in the 425 so much last season that adding anything to what we already have + Catapano should be considered a draft day waste. You can't even consider the 425 sub-package a sub-package as we were in it more than the base 34.

Dante84
02-23-2015, 08:32 PM
Don't sleep on Catapano

Or his intestines