PDA

View Full Version : Football DeAngelo Williams's says Panthers used Mom In Pinktober, Didn't Go To Funeral

Deberg_1990
02-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Wow.......classless...

Running back DeAngelo Williams found out last week that the Carolina Panthers would cut him. No longer a Panther, he decided to air some grievances, specifically involving the Panthers' relationship with Sandra Hill, his mother who died of breast cancer in May 2014.

Williams, who also lost four aunts to breast cancer, heavily participated in the NFL's breast cancer awareness campaign in October, a time when practically everything associated with the league—including Sandra Hill—is covered in a brand-strengthening shade of pink. When Hill died, Williams said he received messages from coach Ron Rivera and general manager David Gettleman, but no one else. Panthers owner Jerry Richardson apparently didn't talk to Williams until two weeks after the running back had written something about his mother for MMQB.

From Williams's interview with WBTV:

"[Gettleman] was like, 'Man we're praying for you'. I said 'I really appreciate it, thank you so much. He said, 'If there's anything we can ever do for you, don't hesitate to call.' I was like man.. you know I really appreciate that.' That was the end. That was it," he said.

"Nobody came to the funeral," he said. "The owner didn't reach out. He didn't say anything. Never talked to me. Nobody upstairs ever talked to me. The only two people who ever said anything to me was Coach Rivera and Dave Gettleman. Everybody else was... they were busy because it was the draft."

He continued. "I was upset with Carolina, because the last five or six years during October, [my mom] was celebrated, but then when she was no longer here — let's move on. [I was] very disappointed. And, somewhat angry [...] it stung to know that a place of business that you've worked for, you've bled, you've played through injuries, you've done everything you possibly can for this organization to be successful, and then upon your darkest hour, they let you, handle it by yourself."
Williams said he isn't mad at Rivera or Gettleman for not going to the funeral—defensive end Greg Hardy was the only one who showed up—and according to him, Richardson apologized for the delay. The team now has a policy on how to deal with deaths in players' families, though it's odd that there needs to be a policy for human sympathy.

http://deadspin.com/panthers-used-deangelo-williamss-mom-in-pinktober-didn-1687710239

Easy 6
02-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Dont blame him for being upset one bit, hell even the car dealership I'd just started at in 07 sent the owner himself, the GM and a nice bouquet to my dads funeral.

Car salesmen > Panthers owner... not a good look.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-24-2015, 07:47 PM
DeBerg thread! LOVE THEM!

Mr. Flopnuts
02-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Dont blame him for being upset one bit, hell even the car dealership I'd just started at in 07 sent the owner himself, the GM and a nice bouquet to my dads funeral.

Car salesmen > Panthers owner... not a good look.

Legit. He's given a ton of himself to get so little in return.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Only De berg can get us the hard hitting stories!

Easy 6
02-24-2015, 08:04 PM

A 9 year homegrown vet couldnt get any love?... yes, thats a bad look for Carolina, real bad.

ps - DeBerg gets such a hard time, but this is a legit story that needs to see the light of day.

stevieray
02-24-2015, 08:15 PM

He played for free?

on a side note...when Lamar died, Weirdwolf and I went to the service in Inderendence...other than the VIPS, you know how many fans showed up?

..about a hundred.

Easy 6
02-24-2015, 08:23 PM
He played for free?

C'mon Steve, a 9 year guy thats given so many exciting moments to the fans doesnt deserve better representation at his moms funeral brought on by one of the NFL's favorite causes, breast cancer?

Carolina dropped the ball in a bad way, IMO... if a team doesnt care about the basic humanity of its players, then its in for a long and ugly ride, IMO.

You're a loyalty and tradition guy to the core... what if DT's mom died in the same circumstances? heck man, even Carl would've been there or atleast have sent his right hand man.

RealSNR
02-24-2015, 08:25 PM
A 9 year homegrown vet couldnt get any love?... yes, thats a bad look for Carolina, real bad.

ps - DeBerg gets such a hard time, but this is a legit story that needs to see the light of day.

Agreed. The NFL has always been a giant piece of shit for their marketing exploitation of breast cancer awareness.

Marcellus
02-24-2015, 08:30 PM
C'mon Steve, a 9 year guy thats given so many exciting moments to the fans doesnt deserve better representation at his moms funeral brought on by one of the NFL's favorite causes, breast cancer?

Carolina dropped the ball in a bad way, IMO... if a team doesnt care about the basic humanity of its players, then its in for a long and ugly ride, IMO.

You're a loyalty and tradition guy to the core... what if DT's mom died in the same circumstances? heck man, even Carl would've been there or atleast have sent his right hand man.

Its low class but its also a double standard. Players make $ based decisions all the time and claim its because its just business. No hard feelings when it benefits them. Just business.

You should expect more from owners & management but why when you cant expect any more from players.

Would DeAngelo have made sure to make it to the Director of Player Personnel's Mom's funeral? I have no idea.

Al Bundy
02-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Scumbag Panties.. fuck them.

stevieray
02-24-2015, 08:43 PM

Dude is worth over 30 million, you think he and his mom didn't benefit from that?

I can understand that he's bummed...what IS odd is only one teammate showed up... what's up with that?

maybe they were respecting his privacy...:shrug:

Marcellus
02-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Dude is worth over 30 million, you think he and his mom didn't benefit from that?

I can understand that he's bummed...what IS odd is only one teammate showed up... what's up with that?

Or people simply don't like him.

Why Not?
02-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Eh. Feels wrong to rip on Deberg for this one. So instead, I'll just say I hope the deceased is in peace.

-King-
02-24-2015, 09:04 PM

Where do you see only one teammate showed up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
02-24-2015, 09:07 PM
he could afford to buy his family gmo free products

stevieray
02-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Where do you see only one teammate showed up?
Posted via Mobile Device

...last paragraph of article.

eDave
02-24-2015, 09:30 PM

Carl would absolutely have been there. 100%.

ThaVirus
02-24-2015, 09:46 PM
The NFL is a large network of money printers. They don't give two shits about the players..

You would think a few of his teammates or coaches would have been a bit more involved though. Losing your mom before you're 30? That's got to be rough.

ThaVirus
02-24-2015, 09:47 PM
It was in May so maybe guys were traveling? Maybe some didn't get the news? Maybe he just wasn't well liked?

Easy 6
02-24-2015, 09:48 PM

The money is outside the story IMO.

But I did miss the part saying that only one teammate showed up, that is definitely weird, maybe even telling... but I still just feel like the team (ownership, if no one else) owed him better than that.

DaneMcCloud
02-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Williams' mother initially had breast cancer in 2004. It went into remission but returned in 2010. The Panthers publicly made a big deal about her during their "Pink" month but when she passed away, only one person attended the funeral.

The team essentially used her as their Breast Cancer awareness person and had her at games as such yet didn't give a hoot when she died.

I think I'd be a little upset, too, if my Mom was part of their campaign and received this kind of treatment.

BigChiefFan
02-24-2015, 10:13 PM
The Panthers put on the dog and pony show. They basically acted concerned and then showed in reality they didn't give two shits.

DaneMcCloud
02-24-2015, 10:17 PM
The Panthers put on the dog and pony show. They basically acted concerned and then showed in reality they didn't give two shits.

Perfectly said

Chiefspants
02-25-2015, 03:56 AM
The brutal truth is that it's difficult to market PINKtober with someone who succumbed to the disease.

I truly loathe what this league is becoming.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-25-2015, 08:23 AM
He played for free?

on a side note...when Lamar died, Weirdwolf and I went to the service in Inderendence...other than the VIPS, you know how many fans showed up?

..about a hundred.

I have a theory...