PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Competition Committee considering change to rule enforcement

Discuss Thrower
02-24-2015, 10:32 PM
... particularly as it applies to pass interference. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473782/article/nfl-vp-changing-pi-to-15yard-penalty-is-a-possibility?campaign=Twitter_atn)

Defensive pass interference enforcement is a topic to watch in the wake of the Lions' controversial playoff loss to the Cowboys. Vincent suggested an alternate solution to replay that would make PI a 15-yard penalty rather than a spot foul. There's concern that making pass interference reviewable would undermine game officials, who have to make difficult calls in real time.

Hootie
02-24-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm conflicted on this one.

redshirt32
02-24-2015, 10:58 PM
Interesting, not sure sure if i like it or not,
shits got to be be somewhat hard in real time to get it right all the time as a REF.

Im not sure what PI is anymore but its sure handy in the last mins of the game.

Psyko Tek
02-24-2015, 11:01 PM
the way they call it now, make it a 15 yarder
it will make D relevant again
won't happen
but would be fun
I hate wide receivers, fucking head case assholes

TribalElder
02-24-2015, 11:09 PM
It's all fixed anyway

DaneMcCloud
02-25-2015, 01:18 AM
This would be a very bad decision.

Even average CB's that are two steps behind a receiver could jump or lunge forward, resulting in only a 15 yard gain versus a long gainer or touchdown.

It would stifle scoring and remove athleticism from the game.

02-25-2015, 01:48 AM
Hey guys, this could bode well for the Chiefs since Alex rarely throws the ball over 10 yards. Might see net gains now. LMAO

Imon Yourside
02-25-2015, 02:03 AM
Make it a 20 yard Penalty.

DaKCMan AP
02-25-2015, 06:11 AM

Even average CB's that are two steps behind a receiver could jump or lunge forward, resulting in only a 15 yard gain versus a long gainer or touchdown.

:spock:

There isn't a lack of scoring nor is there removal of athleticism from college football.

Dayze
02-25-2015, 06:44 AM
as long as receivers will start gesturing/throwing a tantrum for the ref to throw the flag, instead of focusing on the catch, I'm good.

it's one of the most entertaining things to watch. any pass that is dropped, the receiver immediately pleads to the court

Kman34
02-25-2015, 06:51 AM
as long as receivers will start gesturing/throwing a tantrum for the ref to throw the flag, instead of focusing on the catch, I'm good.

it's one of the most entertaining things to watch. any pass that is dropped, the receiver immediately pleads to the court

Yes... the level of "acting" will go up a notch..I can totally see Dez Bryant getting a Academy Award.....

Coochie liquor
02-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Yes... the level of "acting" will go up a notch..I can totally see Dez Bryant getting a Academy Award, except he's probably about to get suspended once the video leaks.....

Fyp

Sully
02-25-2015, 07:18 AM
When we had replay in the 80s, I believe I remember that PI was reviewable.

Chiefnj2
02-25-2015, 08:03 AM
28 seconds left down by 4 and no timeouts you throw a 40 yard pass that is a sure fire TD and you get a flagrant PI and only pick up 15 yards?

Keep it as is and call games like you did the Super Bowl.

KCUnited
02-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Now a ref can bail out a team on a crucial 3rd down without completely fucking the other team.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Jesus, the NFL is worse than fucking Congress.

bobbymitch
02-25-2015, 08:57 AM
I would like it more if it was a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down. Otherwise on a third and forever play, the defense could just mug a receiver and make the offense punt the ball.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2015, 09:01 AM

I don't think so. This is the rule in college and seems to work very well.

Amnorix
02-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Can't see the rule change leading to more acting by the WRs. JFC they do it every play now already.

15 and auto first down seems appropriate to me.

The biggest problem/risk, is if the team on offense is down 4+ points with not much time, it could be better to foul every play than to take the risk of letting a big play over the top. Could also happen at the end of a half, theoretically.

But i think that risk is worth it. The spot foul is too egregious for what is sometimes ticky-tack contact.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Not many college fans posting in here...

Chiefnj2
02-25-2015, 09:32 AM
There is nothing wrong with the current rule.

All they need to do is call games like they did the Super Bowl and ignore the small stuff.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Can't see the rule change leading to more acting by the WRs. JFC they do it every play now already.

The biggest problem/risk, is if the team on offense is down 4+ points with not much time, it could be better to foul every play than to take the risk of letting a big play over the top. Could also happen at the end of a half, theoretically.

But i think that risk is worth it. The spot foul is too egregious for what is sometimes ticky-tack contact.

1) No automatic first down. If the yard to gain is 10 and a DPI is committed, then grant the first down. If it's 20, then the offense only has 5 to gain.

2) If you switch to DPI being a 15 yard versus spot foul and are concerned about cheesing the rule to stop a 2nd or 4th quarter score then I'd propose that, under the replay official's discretion, a DPI committed under two minute warning timing rules that 30 seconds could be added to the game clock in addition to the 15 yard penalty.

wazu
02-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Would benefit the Chiefs in a big way.

Sully
02-25-2015, 09:57 AM
1) No automatic first down. If the yard to gain is 10 and a DPI is committed, then grant the first down. If it's 20, then the offense only has 5 to gain.

2) If you switch to DPI being a 15 yard versus spot foul and are concerned about cheesing the rule to stop a 2nd or 4th quarter score then I'd propose that, under the replay official's discretion, a DPI committed under two minute warning timing rules that 30 seconds could be added to the game clock in addition to the 15 yard penalty.

30 seconds?
That's generous.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 10:16 AM
30 seconds?
That's generous.

It is, but is there any way to stop the type of cheesing Asterix has pointed out?

Unrelated to this, but man you should see the type of game Maty Mauk's dad is running here in Springfield. Scored 60+ points in one half against Rolla. 5-wide naked spread; always onside kicks and goes for 4th down at an 80% clip.

DaneMcCloud
02-25-2015, 10:31 AM
:spock:

There isn't a lack of scoring nor is there removal of athleticism from college football.

The best CB's and WR's in the world don't line up against each other every single week of the season, nor do the best coaches.

There would be plenty of intentional pass interference in order to stop large gainers if this rule was implemented.

Amnorix
02-25-2015, 10:32 AM

Yeah, but defensive holding is 5 yards and auto first down. Are you really going to say that DPI is 15 but not an auto first down? That is very weird. So weird that it makes no sense to me at all, really.

Yeah, could be an answer.

Sully
02-25-2015, 10:34 AM
It is, but is there any way to stop the type of cheesing Asterix has pointed out?

Unrelated to this, but man you should see the type of game Maty Mauk's dad is running here in Springfield. Scored 60+ points in one half against Rolla. 5-wide naked spread; always onside kicks and goes for 4th down at an 80% clip.

I love that, and if I ever run a program, I'll be doing it. Guy in Arkansas (Pulaski Academy) started it, and the math behind it makes sense. I coached for a team a couple of years ago that onside kicked just about every time, and we found that we only needed to recover about 1 per game for the math to work out. Then we got really creative with our kicks, which also wasted the other team's prep time, while it didn't use that much of ours. It was fun.

PizzaDoughz
02-25-2015, 10:39 AM

It would not stifle and remove athleticism from the game. Are you clueless about football?

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 10:41 AM
I love that, and if I ever run a program, I'll be doing it. Guy in Arkansas (Pulaski Academy) started it, and the math behind it makes sense. I coached for a team a couple of years ago that onside kicked just about every time, and we found that we only needed to recover about 1 per game for the math to work out. Then we got really creative with our kicks, which also wasted the other team's prep time, while it didn't use that much of ours. It was fun.

Mauk's problem is the fact he's pulling talent from two feeder middle schools... that don't run his system.

Also, all five Springfield highs are woefully short and good linemen are hard to find. Most of the football talent is developed or moves to Ozark or Nixa.

Sully
02-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Mauk's problem is the fact he's pulling talent from two feeder middle schools... that don't run his system.

Also, all five Springfield highs are woefully short and good linemen are hard to find. Most of the football talent is developed or moves to Ozark or Nixa.

He's gotta pull those guys in. It's not completely necessary to run the same system, but as a spread guy, it'd help (At least use the same terminology). I say that, and I am now at a place with a VERY successful program, and we run a somewhat unique offense, and we don't do the same stuff as our feeder.

Sully
02-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Oh, and Mauk's should've pushed harder for the Harrisonville job.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 10:50 AM
He's gotta pull those guys in. It's not completely necessary to run the same system, but as a spread guy, it'd help (At least use the same terminology). I say that, and I am now at a place with a VERY successful program, and we run a somewhat unique offense, and we don't do the same stuff as our feeder.

Their middle school teams are rough to watch. They can't throw.

Mauk also lost out on the best all around athlete at one of his feeders. Central is starting a freshman QB that's also playing varsity basketball that was at their newer feeder school as an 8th grader.

Sully
02-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Their middle school teams are rough to watch. They can't throw.

Most can't.
You can still run spread with a bad passetr though.

Gonzo
02-25-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't know of this is the answer or not but something has to be done. They call PI waaay too often and it's just getting old. The WR's will soon be flopping worse than any NBA player.
IMHO they should make any PI call reviewable but only if the red flag is tossed. That way they can still save face most of the time and the game isnt really slowed much more than it already is.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Most can't.
You can still run spread with a bad passetr though.

Their guy last fall wasn't terrible, he just had an unsteady arm and made some not-good decisions with the football.

Glendale's problem last year was defense. They let Rolla and Camdenton run all over them. The Rolla game was like 72-62 final score or some nonsense.

Sully
02-25-2015, 10:58 AM
That sucks.
I've had years like that.

Gonzo
02-25-2015, 10:58 AM
When we had replay in the 80s, I believe I remember that PI was reviewable.

Yep. I remember that.

I also seem to remember a KC game against Denver where Elway was sacked and fumbled the ball. The whistle blew him down but a KC player scooped up the ball and ran it in anyway. They reviewed the play and awarded KC the TD. All the players were just standing around watching since the whistle blew. Hilarious shit there back when Replay was seriously flawed.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2015, 11:02 AM
not going to happen

It would eliminate too many exciting offensive pass plays and the NFL doesn't want that to happen.

Hail Mary play - gone

touchdown pass in the final seconds of a half - gone unless they are already close

offense in the redzone, tackle any receiver in the endzone. Better to get half the distance than on the 1 yard line

NFL defenses are way more adept at taking advantage than in college, they will use it to their advantage. Just like defender throwing WRs out of bounds instead of risking them getting their feet down.

About the only thing they might do is give the ref the choice of calling a 15 or spot type of PI.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 11:02 AM
That sucks.
I've had years like that.

Mauk does have himself have a bowling ball for a linebacker. Kyle Doran. Supposedly a nation leader in tackles with something like 100. Little dude's putting in work in the weight room, holy hell.

temper11
02-25-2015, 11:17 AM

Maybe you reset the game clock to what it was before the play started. So you get the 15 yards and the first down with no time having expired. Defense wouldn't be able to lean on that forever. Still a smart play for a DB though if he gets burned deep.

PizzaDoughz
02-25-2015, 11:32 AM
not going to happen

It would eliminate too many exciting offensive pass plays and the NFL doesn't want that to happen.

Hail Mary play - gone

touchdown pass in the final seconds of a half - gone unless they are already close

offense in the redzone, tackle any receiver in the endzone. Better to get half the distance than on the 1 yard line

NFL defenses are way more adept at taking advantage than in college, they will use it to their advantage. Just like defender throwing WRs out of bounds instead of risking them getting their feet down.

About the only thing they might do is give the ref the choice of calling a 15 or spot type of PI.
The game can't end on a penalty so it wouldnt erase a chance at a Hail Mary or a touchdown pass in the end zone.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2015, 11:34 AM
The game can't end on a penalty so it wouldnt erase a chance at a Hail Mary or a touchdown pass in the end zone.
Yes, but only moving up 15 yard isn't like getting the ball on 1 yrd line with an un-timed play left.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Yes, but only moving up 15 yard isn't like getting the ball on 1 yrd line with an un-timed play left.

Small price to pay to balance out the game.

Hootie
02-25-2015, 11:43 AM
I wish the NFL didn't have so many arbitrary rules

one poster suggested the NFL call more games like the Super Bowl ... I can agree with that.

I think DPI should be reviewable, but again, it's going to be super arbitrary because DPI (and OPI) happens on just about every damn play.

The NFL keeps trying to fix things that really aren't broken and end up making them worse...the whole 'illegal hands to the face' and 'illegal contact' fad of 2014 made games I wasn't interested in damn near unwatchable. Hell, the Chiefs game I was at when they called a penalty for illegal hands to the face against Parker when Wilson was sacked or threw the ball away to the other side of the field is just ridiculous...

in fact, although officials missed a few blatant calls that did bother me in the Super Bowl, the NFL really oughta show that to all of the officials as a template of how to call a game ...

that Super Bowl was probably the most enjoyable game of the year (or really, my life, it was that good of the game) and the officials stayed the fuck out of the way the whole time

coincidence?

notorious
02-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Just call the games like the Superbowl.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Hootie
02-25-2015, 11:46 AM
no more booth reviews, for one

when a coach challenges, send it to New York, and be done with it

it was laughable watching Carey and Perrera (sp?) on telecasts telling us why plays would stand or why they would be overturned and watching the exact opposite happen COUNTLESS numbers of times.

It was embarrassing for the NFL.

They need a panel like MLB has and when a coach challenges, or when there is an automatic challenge, send it to the league office ... this isn't 1995, I don't need to see officials running to look under the hood to make things dramatic, or whatever the fuck they're trying to do with that nonsense

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 11:46 AM
I wish the NFL didn't have so many arbitrary rules

one poster suggested the NFL call more games like the Super Bowl ... I can agree with that.

I think DPI should be reviewable, but again, it's going to be super arbitrary because DPI (and OPI) happens on just about every damn play.

The NFL keeps trying to fix things that really aren't broken and end up making them worse...the whole 'illegal hands to the face' and 'illegal contact' fad of 2014 made games I wasn't interested in damn near unwatchable. Hell, the Chiefs game I was at when they called a penalty for illegal hands to the face against Parker when Wilson was sacked or threw the ball away to the other side of the field is just ridiculous...

in fact, although officials missed a few blatant calls that did bother me in the Super Bowl, the NFL really oughta show that to all of the officials as a template of how to call a game ...

that Super Bowl was probably the most enjoyable game of the year (or really, my life, it was that good of the game) and the officials stayed the fuck out of the way the whole time

coincidence?

The NFL has a vested interest in not calling penalties in the Super Bowl because it's the one game they can be confidence in being seen world wide. Nothing would kill the appeal of football to new markets like seeing rules applied that even guys like Mike Pereira can't explain.

Hootie
02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
well either way, I'm tired of illegal contact and illegal hands to the face ... I wish those penalties would burn in hell

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 11:52 AM
well either way, I'm tired of illegal contact and illegal hands to the face ... I wish those penalties would burn in hell

No argument there.

PizzaDoughz
02-25-2015, 11:53 AM

I don't think anyone likes them, or at least not the way they are enforced.

The refs all need to sit down together and get on the same page as to what is and what is not a penalty. **** the current refs and their "interpretations" of the rule book

Hootie
02-25-2015, 12:12 PM
I realize it's harder than it looks to be an NFL referee but Good God

Buehler445
02-25-2015, 12:14 PM
28 seconds left down by 4 and no timeouts you throw a 40 yard pass that is a sure fire TD and you get a flagrant PI and only pick up 15 yards?

Keep it as is and call games like you did the Super Bowl.

This would be optimal.

DaKCMan AP
02-25-2015, 12:30 PM
The best CB's and WR's in the world don't line up against each other every single week of the season, nor do the best coaches.

There would be plenty of intentional pass interference in order to stop large gainers if this rule was implemented.

It doesn't happen in college.

DaneMcCloud
02-25-2015, 12:36 PM
It doesn't happen in college.

College is a different playing field, altogether.

Do you really believe that guys won't be coached up and instructed in the NFL to commit a PI, especially when the game is on the line?

I think that 4th quarter comebacks would dropoff dramatically.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2015, 12:41 PM
College is a different playing field, altogether.

Do you really believe that guys won't be coached up and instructed in the NFL to commit a PI, especially when the game is on the line?

I think that 4th quarter comebacks would dropoff dramatically.

And I think if you make DPI a 15-yard penalty with the caveat that ones committed under two minute warning timing rules, time is added back onto the clock.. Be it by a specific amount or as Temper suggests resetting to the time on the clock when the ball was snapped.

chiefqueen
02-25-2015, 12:46 PM
The only fouls that I think should be reviewed are personal fouls (late hits, helmet to helmet, etc.) anything that may injure a player. I would like to see the replay official have the authority to buzz the field and notify the ref when such a penalty occurred but was not flagged.

As far as PI, it needs to be like college, 15 yds in most instances.

Bugeater
02-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Just call the games like the Superbowl.

PROBLEM SOLVED.Then they wouldn't be able to control who gets there.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-25-2015, 01:22 PM
They can't get the calls they review now right WITH replay. So why bother?

Jimmya
02-25-2015, 01:40 PM
I also believe that replay is about 50/50 on getting it right.

Hootie
02-25-2015, 01:41 PM
I'd be happy if they did one thing, and that is just get rid of fucking booth review and have the league office handle it like in baseball.

Buehler445
02-25-2015, 01:45 PM
I'd be happy if they did one thing, and that is just get rid of fucking booth review and have the league office handle it like in baseball.

This. x8trillion (roughly)

02-26-2015, 12:34 AM
I'd be happy if they did one thing, and that is just get rid of ****ing booth review and have the league office handle it like in baseball.

But then we can't be entertained by watching the ref run over to the booth and go under the hood.

Fuckin NFL.

Dayze
02-26-2015, 06:02 AM
the 'booth review' is always one of the most comical things you'll see in sport.

some 'magical hood' they go under etc. really? with all the technology we have and we're doing the same thing we did in the 80's?

it's like going to the doctor for a prostate exam and the doc has to stick a finger up your star fish. Really?....that's the only way we have to do this exam?

02-26-2015, 06:13 AM
the 'booth review' is always one of the most comical things you'll see in sport.

some 'magical hood' they go under etc. really? with all the technology we have and we're doing the same thing we did in the 80's?

it's like going to the doctor for a prostate exam and the doc has to stick a finger up your star fish. Really?....that's the only way we have to do this exam?

So what would you like them to stick up your ass?

Dayze
02-26-2015, 06:24 AM
preferably nothing. LMAO

I mean shit....isn't there someway they can check without having to stick a finger up there? Like an MRI or something?

02-26-2015, 06:25 AM
preferably nothing. LMAO

I mean shit....isn't there someway they can check without having to stick a finger up there? Like an MRI or something?

Just wait for your colonoscopy.

Dayze
02-26-2015, 07:12 AM
Just wait for your colonoscopy.

"Moon.....River......"

Steron
02-26-2015, 10:40 AM

I would like to add defenseless receiver to the burn pile, please.