PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Best Free Agent Pick Up For The Chiefs...and Why?

SeeingRed
02-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Lots of Free Agents out there, who do you like best?

I like 2.....1) Mike Iupati G
2) Jordan Cameron TE

Of course Randall Cobb would be nice but might be a tough grab for us. Any quality OL help makes sense #1 and also I think with Fasano gone that a tandem of Kelce and Cameron would be the best pair of TEs in the league and would compliment Smith's skill set very well to have 2 TE's who weigh 260 and run 4.5 and 4.6....and either a OG or TE free agency pick up would set the draft up to grab a quality WR early.

Plus not to be negative but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see Jordan Cameron in Denver. :doh!:

That would be scary actually. He better off on our team if we can get him.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Those would be really solid additions.

But we have no money.

O.city
02-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Cameron makes alot of sense

O.city
02-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Tyvon Branch?

The Franchise
02-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Clint Boling.

SeeingRed
02-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Those would be really solid additions.

But we have no money.

Hopefully we can restructure some guys and make room for at least one good pick up in FA

Mr. Laz
02-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Mike Iupati is not a very good pass blocker.

SeeingRed
02-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Cameron makes alot of sense

I keep hearing rumblings of Cameron to Denver and it haunts me with the whole Sanders thing from last year....best to keep that guy away from Peyton. I think him and Kelce would be tremendous with Smith actually

TLO
02-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Hugh Douglas.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't know if it's best but Cameron would be a good addition.

The flexibility of a dual TE set of Cameron and Kelce could be quite effective.

SeeingRed
Mike Iupati is not a very good pass blocker.

ya I might like Cameron better actually. Plus then if god forbid Kelce goes down we have 2 quality TEs. The draft for TEs looks pretty poor this year so why not grab a good one in FA. Having the best pair of TEs in football sounds good to me

In58men
Miles Austin because we are the Chiefs

ct
02-27-2015, 12:55 PM
big YES to cameron

no thanks on iupati, cause i honetly do not see investing in both hudson and iupati, would rather invest in hudson

get herremans for depth or emergency starter for FAR cheaper

ViperVisor
02-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Iupati has always struggled at pass protection compared to his All-Pro run blocking.

In KC it worries me more as he doesn't have Joe Staley next to him who was top 5 in pass blocking the last few years.

But the potential of Hudson Iupati and Fisher on the line is nice if Fisher can get better. He can so really, will and how much will he improve.

Iconic
02-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Cameron isn't going to come here to play second fiddle to Kelce. Sorry guys.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2015, 01:01 PM
If we go OL in FA we would probably be better off going RT with Bulaga and then G in the draft.

We still don't know about Kush.

jd1020
02-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Whoever it is it will be someone that wont cost more than a couple million a year.

Unless the Chiefs get serious about the future and clip a big contract like Hali.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Cameron isn't going to come here to play second fiddle to Kelce. Sorry guys.

He wouldn't assume that he would be second fiddle.

Kelce isn't that proven yet.

Sorter
02-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Not including the Chiefs own players, these are a few that are intriguing to me:

Orlando Franklin/James Carpenter/Clint Boling/Stephen Wisniewski
Tyvon Branch
Brandon Spikes
Rob Housler
Akeem Ayers
Walter Thurmond/ Perrish Cox

Mr. Laz
02-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Not including the Chiefs own players, these are a few that are intriguing to me:

Orlando Franklin/James Carpenter/Clint Boling/Stephen Wisniewski
Tyvon Branch
Brandon Spikes
Rob Housler
Akeem Ayers
Walter Thurmond/ Perrish Cox
Stephen Wisniewski as a guard or a center to replace Hudson?

I assume he would be considerably cheaper

Sorter
02-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Stephen Wisniewski as a guard or a center to replace Hudson?

I assume he would be considerably cheaper

Center to replace Hudson, although IIRC he did play guard at some point. Can't remember if it was his rookie year or in college.

Edit: Played RG in 2010 for Penn State, LG his rookie year in Oakland.

O.city
02-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Boling would obviously be nice.

Cameron would make alot of sense from our offensive atandpoint.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Clint Boling.

mcaj22
02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Center to replace Hudson, although IIRC he did play guard at some point. Can't remember if it was his rookie year or in college.

I believe you are right on both college and rookie year

Sorter
02-27-2015, 01:19 PM
The Raiders plan to let free agent C Stefen Wisniewski test the open market.
Wisniewski isn't expected to be re-signed after the Raiders failed to get an extension done during the season. He's been a full-time starter since entering the league in 2011 -- missing only three games over the last four seasons. 25-year-old Wisniewski should draw interest from multiple teams. He's seeking a contract in the range of $3 million annually. Feb 6 - 7:03 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6599/stefen-wisniewski

That sounds nice.

O.city
02-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Would you prefer to pay him that, rather than hudson whatever he is wanting?

Sorter
02-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Would you prefer to pay him that, rather than hudson whatever he is wanting?

I'd have to rewatch some Raiders games first. Gross.

O.city
02-27-2015, 01:24 PM
I hate letting good up and coming young players go over money, but it is what it is

BigChiefFan
02-27-2015, 01:25 PM
I'd have to rewatch some Raiders games first. Gross.

Marcus Allen says hi.

jspchief
02-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Trying to win the Superbowl with TEs instead of WRs. Such a Chiefs approach.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2015, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't anything more than veteran minimum for Jordan Cameron.

Outside of one season, he's been awful and suffered from concussions three seasons in a row.

The guy is one hit from ending his career and based on the past three seasons, it's likely to happen this year.

Nightfyre
02-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Wisniewski would be an excellent pick up at guard, probably. And considerably cheaper than Iupati. If we could lock him up for like 5-6 years at a good rate and Hudson up for 5-6 years at a good rate, we would really shore up the interior line for a long time. Plus, I think both Hudson and Wisniewski are smart offensive linemen, which would be a definite bonus.

Nightfyre
02-27-2015, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't anything more than veteran minimum for Jordan Cameron.

Outside of one season, he's been awful and suffered from concussions three seasons in a row.

The guy is one hit from ending his career and based on the past three seasons, it's likely to happen this year.

That's what injury clauses are for. The dude has a ton of talent and Alex Smith loves him some tight ends. Having both him and Kelce might increase our red zone productivity. That is, of course, assuming Alex Smith can go through a progression before shitting his pants and checking it down.

BigChiefFan
02-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Wisniewski would be an excellent pick up at guard, probably. And considerably cheaper than Iupati. If we could lock him up for like 5-6 years at a good rate and Hudson up for 5-6 years at a good rate, we would really shore up the interior line for a long time. Plus, I think both Hudson and Wisniewski are smart offensive linemen, which would be a definite bonus.

Yeah, I like the idea if signing him. We can call him Chiefs Wiz.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2015, 01:47 PM
That's what injury clauses are for. The dude has a ton of talent and Alex Smith loves him some tight ends. Having both him and Kelce might increase our red zone productivity. That is, of course, assuming Alex Smith can go through a progression before shitting his pants and checking it down.

It doesn't matter whether there's an injury clause or not.

He's not a reliable player and wouldn't count on him to produce.

Nightfyre
02-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Every team will be wary of his concussion history. He's going to come moderately cheap, I think. No matter what, we need to add a tight-end in free agency because this years draft class is barren and we can't afford to sit and we have no idea what we have in Harris. JMO.

Sorter
02-27-2015, 01:55 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ci2ciVKa1r0x9x6o2_r1_250.gif

Nightfyre
02-27-2015, 01:57 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ci2ciVKa1r0x9x6o2_r1_250.gif

Sometimes, I just don't understand what people are trying to convey with .gifs. That said - I love the cut of Sorter's jib - even if sometimes it is over my head.

Easy 6
02-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Two players are whats needed, a guard and a tight end.

A veteran guard can step right in and play like a pro from day one.

The tight end is Smiths preferred weapon because the depth of their routes best match his arm talent, get me another legit threat to put out there with Kelce and watch them drive backers and safeties bonkers.

Coochie liquor
02-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Trying to win the Superbowl with TEs instead of WRs. Such a Chiefs approach.

If your qb isn't going to throw to him anyway, then why have big named receivers? Also it worked pretty well for NE before Hernandez capped a mutha fucka!!

Titty Meat
02-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Cobb is the best fit for the offense.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Cobb is the best fit for the offense.

I'd rather have Maclin

BossChief
02-27-2015, 08:40 PM
I'd rather have Maclin

Me2...not gonna happen, though.

kccrow
02-27-2015, 08:41 PM
I think Clint Boling. Plug and play at LG, immediately makes the offensive line so much better than what it was, especially if KC can re-sign Hudson.

Next on my list for offensive line would be Stefan Wisniewski at OC if Hudson doesn't re-sign here. No, he's not the caliber of Hudson, but if he comes at half the price he's a capable starter anyhow.

Would also like to see WR Denarius Moore from Oakland. He's a solid talent that got thrown into the crapper last year by that coaching staff. Whatever happened is in the past. He's a perfect fit for Reid's offense. He should be another 3 million per guy I'd think.

I think that if you can get Boling and Moore for a combined 9-10 million per, you've made a far more significant upgrade on offense than if you went out and signed just Cobb or Maclin for that same amount.

BossChief
02-27-2015, 08:49 PM
I think Clint Boling. Plug and play at LG, immediately makes the offensive line so much better than what it was, especially if KC can re-sign Hudson.

Next on my list for offensive line would be Stefan Wisniewski at OC if Hudson doesn't re-sign here. No, he's not the caliber of Hudson, but if he comes at half the price he's a capable starter anyhow.

Would also like to see WR Denarius Moore from Oakland. He's a solid talent that got thrown into the crapper last year by that coaching staff. Whatever happened is in the past. He's a perfect fit for Reid's offense. He should be another 3 million per guy I'd think.

I think that if you can get Boling and Moore for a combined 9-10 million per, you've made a far more significant upgrade on offense than if you went out and signed just Cobb or Maclin for that same amount.
I'd much rather have Maclin.

Titty Meat
02-27-2015, 08:54 PM
I'd rather have Maclin

Maclin is a good player but he's had 2 knee injuries. I like Cobb more because you can line him up outside or inside. Alex will be able to get him the ball

Titty Meat
02-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Me2...not gonna happen, though.

If Philly doesn't resign him he's going to the Chiefs.

I was looking at Decker and Tates contracts.

Deckers first year was 2.5 base salary

Tates was 1.5

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2015, 08:59 PM
A healthy Kelce and Jordan could be lethal.

BossChief
02-27-2015, 09:27 PM
If Philly doesn't resign him he's going to the Chiefs.

I was looking at Decker and Tates contracts.

Deckers first year was 2.5 base salary

Tates was 1.5

Being a chiefs fan has taught me one thing.

We will NEVER get the tricked out toys that I want.

I think a receiver like Maclin would transform Alex Smith.

Hydrae
02-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Being a chiefs fan has taught me one thing.

We will NEVER get the tricked out toys that I want.

I think a receiver like Maclin would transform Alex Smith.

No, Reid would just keep calling passes for Maclin, Alex would keep checking down, and we would all be screaming because Charles is not getting touches.

BossChief
02-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Say **** the world and go sign Suh.

Have Suh, Houston, Bailey, Ford and Poe rushing the passer.

Uh oh

Fill the rest of the holes in the draft and with veterans.

Havin fun thinking about it even though it will never happen.

penbrook
02-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Guys didn't you hear Maclin is not gonna re sign with the Eagles. He recently switched agents. He wants to get paid. And Reid loves Maclin. I expect Maclin to be a Chief day 1

Discuss Thrower
02-27-2015, 09:52 PM
At this point the best FA they have to sign is Houston.

BossChief
02-27-2015, 09:53 PM
No, Reid would just keep calling passes for Maclin, Alex would keep checking down, and we would all be screaming because Charles is not getting touches.

He got the ball to Avery...I think he would quickly develop chemistry and trust with Maclin because he gets separation, has good hands, runs good routes and is where he needs to be because of his familiarity with the system.

He also has the speed to take your head off.

Depending on the cost, the guy would be an amazing signing.

LiL stumppy
02-27-2015, 10:39 PM
why the f would we add jordan cameron?

BossChief
02-27-2015, 10:47 PM
why the f would we add jordan cameron?

Because if he can get right, he could be a matchup nightmare in multiple tight end sets. The ones we run all game.

LiL stumppy
02-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Because if he can get right, he could be a matchup nightmare in multiple tight end sets. The ones we run all game.

So we are going to pay a guy big money at the TE position, where we already have a young potential superstar, for a few match up nightmares a game, all while have zero outside threats in the passing game, and 2 to 3 open spots that are top priority to fill on the o-line? No. This worked for NE because they got Hernandez in the 3rd or 4th round, and Gronk was also a rookie, and were not paying them top money, along with having Tom Brady.

I am all for bringing in a big time play maker at wr, and I love Jordan Cameron, but that is such an idiotic move. Put the money into a WR that will be on the field 100% of the time, not 65%.

salame
02-27-2015, 11:43 PM
AJ Hawk please

BlackOp
02-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Jeremy Maclin for a number of reasons...#1. They can shred Bowe's contract...thus turning a profit for a #1 WR that is perfect for the offense. #2. Use the 1st round pick to replace DJ. Interior defense was why KC didn't make the playoffs. #3. use the 2nd pick to get a quality (value) WR...use the comp picks if they need to trade up. #4. sign O-line FA...and Hudson...structure his contract so he gets paid a lot next year when KC has a better cap situation.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
02-28-2015, 02:45 AM

You all never cease to amaze me. There was a reason Moore was not 1st string in a lineup of mostly no-name receivers. But, my post will be poo-pooed as sour grapes. So I'll just say I hope you do sign him. As much as you all bitch about receivers, ... never mind.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 07:11 AM
1) The idea that the Chiefs have no money is a myth. People who think the Chiefs can't spend money this offseason don't know how the cap works

2) I don't get people's reasoning that if your oline sucks, then upgrade to some really good players. No. Upgrading to "stop sucking" is a big upgrade. The Chiefs just need to stop throwing OL on the field who really suck. I'm still sticking to my guns that any money should be spent on playmakers, not OL. For as much as Dorsey's been effective in the late rounds of the draft and the bargain bin, it's puzzling why he's been so terrible at finding OL. They need to focus on OL just as they needed to last year, but have to start hitting on good OL in the later part of the draft and from the tier 2 free agents.

3) If we go with Jordan Cameron, then we are giving Alex Smith even more license to dink and dunk. I don't want that.

milkman
02-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Interior defense was why KC didn't make the playoffs.

What?

jd1020
02-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Guys didn't you hear Maclin is not gonna re sign with the Eagles. He recently switched agents. He wants to get paid. And Reid loves Maclin. I expect Maclin to be a Chief day 1

All I've heard about Maclin is that he and the Eagles aren't far off in price. And if he is looking for a payday he's not looking at KC.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 07:52 AM
1) The idea that the Chiefs have no money is a myth. People who think the Chiefs can't spend money this offseason don't know how the cap works

Maybe you could enlighten us all into how the cap works. Because from where I'm sitting the Chiefs are $8M under the cap and probably going to have to tag Houston which will add a guaranteed $13M to the cap, meaning the Chiefs will have 8 days to clear $5M. Without more cuts, extensions, or contract restructures, the Chiefs dont have dick.

the Talking Can
02-28-2015, 07:59 AM
swapping (cutting) bowe for maclin would be the dream move...no clue if the economics work

Maclin wants to stay, the Eagles want him, and last I heard they weren’t significantly far apart. He should end up with a contract somewhere in the $9.5-$10 million a year range with most of around $20 million guaranteed in the first two years. If a deal can’t be struck by Monday afternoon, the Eagles will have to decide whether or not to use the franchise tag ($12.8 million).

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Eagles-Offseason-Overview-Wide-receiver.html#mJFdwbxYlSs0LBiU.99

brucey_72
02-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Im not a Chiefs fan but this would be the perfect offseason in my eyes for you.

Bowe- June 1st cut
Hali- redo deal or cut
Daniels- cut
Johnson- cut

Houston- tag

Maclin- sign.. 5 year 45mil
Wiz- Sign 4yr 14mil
Boling-Sign 5 year 20m

Swap Bowe for Maclin and save money.
Swap Hudson salary for Boling and Wiz

Draft: DBG

mcaj22
02-28-2015, 08:32 AM

Bowe- June 1st cut
Hali- redo deal or cut
Daniels- cut
Johnson- cut

Houston- tag

Wiz- Sign 4yr 14mil
Boling-Sign 5 year 20m

and go into the season with Josh Mauga and Joe Mays as your starting linebackers?

good luck getting a stop in 3 and 1 situations then.

J Diddy
02-28-2015, 08:35 AM
I like Al.

We need to sign Al.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 08:47 AM
and go into the season with Josh Mauga and Joe Mays as your starting linebackers?

good luck getting a stop in 3 and 1 situations then.
Yeah, I don't get that. Even coming back from injury, dj has a very reasonable contract.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 08:49 AM

Bowe- June 1st cut
Hali- redo deal or cut
Daniels- cut
Johnson- cut

Houston- tag

Wiz- Sign 4yr 14mil
Boling-Sign 5 year 20m

I like that you're thinking of average priced OL. I can get on board with that. I would like Parker back at a reasonable price. I'd keep dj. I'd sign Houston long term so you can trigger a small first year cap hit. Then with probably 11 picks in the draft, this is a much better football team.

mcaj22
02-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I don't get that. Even coming back from injury, dj has a very reasonable contract.

Joe Mays has a 3.7 million dollar cap hit and they are going to pay him 4 million total if hes on the roster in 2015

DJ has a 5.2 million dollar cap hit

so the difference between spending on DJ and a Joe Mays is about 1.2-1.5 million

1.5 million to have a former pro bowl MLBer at 70/80 percent or Joe Mays.

That's actually a joke how much money they gave Joe Mays in comparison.

J Diddy
02-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Maybe we can get some of that Churchill blood.

BlackOp
02-28-2015, 09:45 AM
KC is not cutting DJ...but drafting his replacement in the first would be a good move. This is contingent on if they can somehow lure Maclin in...

To the poster above...yes, KC's run defense is why they didn't make the playoffs...among other factors. The Raiders game cost the Chiefs....

KC has 3 trouble areas....they are pretty solid otherwise.

OL
LB
WR

Easy 6
02-28-2015, 10:04 AM
3) If we go with Jordan Cameron, then we are giving Alex Smith even more license to dink and dunk. I don't want that.

He doesnt need license, he owns the patent.

I dont care who you put out wide, he isnt going to suddenly change his stripes... giving him another target he will actually use consistently can only be a good thing.

mcaj22
02-28-2015, 10:05 AM
KC is not cutting DJ...but drafting his replacement in the first would be a good move. This is contingent on if they can somehow lure Maclin in...

To the poster above...yes, KC's run defense is why they didn't make the playoffs...among other factors. The Raiders game cost the Chiefs....

OL
LB
WR

Is there even any MLBers worth taking in the first? Perryman looked terrible at the combine and could be a 2 down run stuffer at best.

MotherfuckerJones
02-28-2015, 10:05 AM
I want Jeremy Maclin. It's all I want.

Easy 6
02-28-2015, 10:06 AM

Bowe- June 1st cut
Hali- redo deal or cut
Daniels- cut
Johnson- cut

Houston- tag

Wiz- Sign 4yr 14mil
Boling-Sign 5 year 20m

:hmmm: not bad, not bad at all.

Titty Meat
02-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Is there even any MLBers worth taking in the first? Perryman looked terrible at the combine and could be a 2 down run stuffer at best.

I wouldn't draft that guy in the 5th round. He would tie Donnie Edwards record for most tackles 10 yards down the field.

Rausch
02-28-2015, 10:27 AM
James Hasty/thread...

BlackOp
02-28-2015, 10:48 AM

Benardrick McKinney.....

RunKC
02-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Offer Hudson a $6.5 million avg yearly contract. If he says no, fuck him.

That's 5th among C's. Not worth $7+ million for a C

RealSNR
02-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Benardrick McKinney.....

Speaking of 2-down run stuffers...

brucey_72
02-28-2015, 10:53 AM

OL
LB
WR

Ok, keep DJ then. You can still get the guys I suggested, might have to cut a guy like Devito

Rausch
02-28-2015, 10:57 AM
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T WE DO WHATEVER WAS NECESSARY TO GET DICK LEBEAU?

JUST fuck.....fuck......I hate this team so much.......fuck.......FUCK....

Mr. Laz
02-28-2015, 11:07 AM
where are you from?

Iconic
02-28-2015, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't draft that guy in the 5th round. He would tie Donnie Edwards record for most tackles 10 yards down the field.

Knowing angles is more important than speed at the LB position.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Maybe you could enlighten us all into how the cap works. Because from where I'm sitting the Chiefs are $8M under the cap and probably going to have to tag Houston which will add a guaranteed $13M to the cap, meaning the Chiefs will have 8 days to clear $5M. Without more cuts, extensions, or contract restructures, the Chiefs dont have dick.

Devito cut saves 4
Bowe as June 1st saves 9.5
Cut/trade Daniel to save 3.8m
Cutting mays saves 2.7
Voiding Hali's contract and giving him something similar to what Suggs got saves us about 7m

That brings us to 35 million under the cap.

Want more cap space?

Alex Smith is willing to re-structure. He has a 12m base salary that we can convert 11m to a signing bonus to clear 11m from this years cap and spread over the remaining years of his deal.

That gives us 46m in cap space.

Want more?

Give Eric Berry a reasonable contract extension that gives him a 5.5m bonus (what he was scheduled to make in 2015) and a roster bonus in 2016. That clears another 5m from the books in 2015.

That's 51m in cap space they could clear if they want to.

Anybody that says we are strapped for cap space doesn't know what they are talking about.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:40 AM
The salary cap is a sham.

There are always ways to make moves.

Always

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 11:40 AM
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY THE **** DIDN'T WE DO WHATEVER WAS NECESSARY TO GET DICK LEBEAU?

JUST ****.....****......I hate this team so much.......****.......****....

Because Sutton fielded one of the most dominant defenses in the NFL while the Steelers' D hasn't been relevant in years. Might as well bring in Monte Kiffin while we're at it.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Devito cut saves 4
Cutting mays saves 2.7
Voiding Hali's contract and giving him something similar to what Suggs got saves us about 7m

Want more cap space?

Alex Smith is willing to re-structure. He has a 12m base salary that we can convert 11m to a signing bonus to clear 11m from this years cap and spread over the remaining years of his deal.

Want more?

Give Eric Berry a reasonable contract extension that gives him a 5.5m bonus (what he was scheduled to make in 2015) and a roster bonus in 2016. That clears another 5m from the books in 2015.

Anybody that says we are strapped for cap space doesn't know what they are talking about.

Cutting Bowe June 1st doesn't help with getting under the cap by March 10th now does it?

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Devito cut saves 4
Cutting mays saves 2.7

Want more cap space?

Want more?

Don't restructure Alex Smith. Get his contract off the books -- restructuring only delays that.

You dodge the salary cap by offering a big signing bonus up front (spread over 5 years), a low base salary in year 1, and you can spread it even further if you offer the player a practically guaranteed year 2 or year 3 roster bonus (which you can then convert into signing bonus). It's the approach that helped the Chiefs sign Alex Smith last year for basically $5M hit. Same should be done for Houston.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Cutting Bowe June 1st doesn't help with getting under the cap by March 10th now does it?

We can cut him before june1 and designate him as a June1 cut and get the same benefit.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Don't restructure Alex Smith. Get his contract off the books -- restructuring only delays that.

You dodge the salary cap by offering a big signing bonus up front (spread over 5 years), a low base salary in year 1, and you can spread it even further if you offer the player a practically guaranteed year 2 or year 3 roster bonus (which you can then convert into signing bonus). It's the approach that helped the Chiefs sign Alex Smith last year for basically $5M hit. Same should be done for Houston.

:LOL:

Houston's contract is going to be MUCH MUCH larger than Smith's.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Explain

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Alex Smiths next 2 years salary become fully guaranteed in a week or 2.

He isn't going anywhere before that span ends.

No reason not to clear the cap space now to try and build a contending roster for 2015.

ITS TIME TO PUT TOGETHER A ROSTER THAT CAN WIN A PLAYOFF GAME WITH ALEX SMITH AS THE QB.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 11:47 AM

Unlike Smith, Houston is a player you want to keep for the entire contract.

If you want to sign Houston to a blockbuster deal but keep him to $10M in year 1, you can very easily do that. Hell, you can get him for under $5m in year 1 if you wanted to. And you can do that all without giving him outrageous pay increases every year after. It's not difficult.

In case you hadn't notice, by the way, our cap is pretty clean next year and the year after.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Alex Smiths next 2 years salary become fully guaranteed in a week or 2.

He isn't going anywhere before that span ends.

No reason not to clear the cap space now to try and build a contending roster for 2015.

ITS TIME TO PUT TOGETHER A ROSTER THAT CAN WIN A PLAYOFF GAME WITH ALEX SMITH AS THE QB.

No matter what, Smith will have to be here for I think 3 or 4 years. If you restructure his contract, he'll have to be here for 5 or 6 years. That's not what I want.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM

That doesn't have anything to do with what he said.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 11:50 AM
That doesn't have anything to do with what he said.

It kinda does. It's already been talked about.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Unlike Smith, Houston is a player you want to keep for the entire contract.

If you want to sign Houston to a blockbuster deal but keep him to $10M in year 1, you can very easily do that. Hell, you can get him for under $5m in year 1 if you wanted to. And you can do that all without giving him outrageous pay increases every year after. It's not difficult.

In case you hadn't notice, by the way, our cap is pretty clean next year and the year after.

There's no ****ing way Houston is going to count less than $5M on the cap in year 1 without heavily backloading the contract.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 11:53 AM
It kinda does. It's already been talked about.

What has been talked about?

The goal is to get out of 2015. That's where our cap hurts us. In 2016 and beyond, the cap isn't bad. So you structure Houston's contract to take a lot less in year 1. Houston will be happy because he still gets paid a shitload in year 1 and he gets a much longer guaranteed contract. Chiefs are happy because they free up wiggle room in year 1 and keep their superstar long-term. You can probably shave off up to $8M in cap on Houston this year by signing him to a long-term deal. It's a win-win way to save money for the Chiefs.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:54 AM
No matter what, Smith will have to be here for I think 3 or 4 years. If you restructure his contract, he'll have to be here for 5 or 6 years. That's not what I want.

That's ridiculous.

Alex is signed through 2018...meaning that 11m (max restructure) would spread between 2016-2018. That's only 3.7 per year and next years salary is guaranteed anyway so it's really only pushing 7.3m into 2017 and 2018.

Not a big deal. We could still cut/trade him for cap savings.

I'll bet nearly anything that they will trade him after the 2016 season unless he wins us some playoff games.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:57 AM
There's no ****ing way Houston is going to count less than $5M on the cap in year 1 without heavily backloading the contract.

5 is low, but I bet they can get his cap hit to be around 8 in year 1. And of course the contract needs to be backloaded.

The chiefs only have 57m in cap spending in 2017 and 13 of that is for Bowe...meaning they only really have 44m spent.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Www.overthecap.com

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:00 PM

Do you know what JJ Watt's cap hit was last year? Given that this is the gold standard for a contract for a pass rusher? $4.6M. They will be out of his contract in 5 years and the cap hit will be probably a steady $13-15M per year the next 4 years. And Houston isn't going to make JJ Watt money, so his cap hit is even more reasonable.

Which is the same exact damn price we're suggesting for him if he's franchised. That, to me, is just plain nuts to even think of sticking with the tag.

This is a no-brainer. Sign him long-term.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 12:02 PM
JJ Watts cap hit this year is $21.9M.

mcaj22
02-28-2015, 12:03 PM
the Saints are 20 million over the cap?! And I thought the Chiefs had some overpaid players

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:07 PM

His year 1 cap hit was $4.5M.

His $21.9M is going to be restructured. He is due a $10M roster bonus which you turn into signing bonus and prorate it or 5 years. That cap hit moves from $21.9M to $12.9M.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:08 PM

After that...

I'd love it if the Chiefs did that for Houston. Have him hit the cap HARD for one year then get him for cheap for a few years.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:11 PM
The Texans need to try to sign Cutler once he becomes a free agent. Cutler isn't great, but he could help that loaded roster do something before guys like AJ retire.

Mr. Laz
the Saints are 20 million over the cap?! And I thought the Chiefs had some overpaid players

Brees cap number is like 24 and 26 million the next 2 season

He's another guy killing his team with his salary.

He doesn't deserve to win.

Titty Meat
The salary cap is a sham.

There are always ways to make moves.

Always

I do wonder why they didn't do that last year.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:13 PM
If you want to set up Houston's contract very similar to Watt's (and you wouldn't, because you can get him for less):

$20M bonus ($10M signing bonus, $10M roster bonus in year 2 or 3. Let's say year 3)
$3.5M base salary in 2015. $10M base salary every other year of his contract. 7 year contract

Year 1: $5.5M cap hit in year 1 (assures Houston he'll make $13.5M in year 1. Same as his franchise tag)
Year 2: $12M cap hit in year 2
Year 3: Restructure $10M roster bonus into 5-year signing bonus. $14M cap hit in year 3
Year 4: $14M cap hit
Year 5: $14M cap hit
Year 6: It now costs you $4M to cut Houston

And this is assuming he gets a contract on par with Watt, which he doesn't have to. This is not an unreasonable contract and it's very cheap in year 1 (saves us $8M).

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:18 PM
I do wonder why they didn't do that last year.

Dorsey is still learning the ropes and wants to have the most complete roster he can.

Remember, the new CBA says spend it or donate it...

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:20 PM
If you want to set up Houston's contract very similar to Watt's (and you wouldn't, because you can get him for less):

$20M bonus ($10M signing bonus, $10M roster bonus in year 2 or 3. Let's say year 3)
$3.5M base salary in 2015. $10M base salary every other year of his contract. 7 year contract

Year 1: $5.5M cap hit in year 1 (assures Houston he'll make $13.5M in year 1. Same as his franchise tag)
Year 3: Restructure $10M roster bonus into 5-year signing bonus. $14M cap hit in year 3

And this is assuming he gets a contract on par with Watt, which he doesn't have to. This is not an unreasonable contract and it's very cheap in year 1 (saves us $8M).

If I was negotiating with Houston's agent, the one thing I WOULDNT want to do would be insult them.

The contract needs to be within reaching distance of Watts deal.

I agree on your basic outline of how his deal should be structured.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Something isn't adding up here, unless my math is way off...

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:23 PM
If I was negotiating with Houston's agent, the one thing I WOULDNT want to do would be insult them.

The contract needs to be within reaching distance of Watts deal.

I agree on your basic outline of how his deal should be structured.

Given that the Chiefs are cap strapped in year 1, but nicely set for 2016 and beyond, it would be absolutely nuts not to sign him long-term. The Chiefs can afford Houston next year and beyond. That $8M in extra wiggle room would be really nice to free up in 2015.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Brees cap number is like 24 and 26 million the next 2 season

He's another guy killing his team with his salary.

He doesn't deserve to win.

They have terrible cap management.

Junior Galette has a 15.4m cap number?

Grubbs and Loften at almost 10 each?

Evans at 11? Wow

The worst part is that they can't move off most of those stupid deals because they have no idea what they are doing when they offer these deals.

Nightfyre
02-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Justin Houston - Re-sign : 2015 Cap Gain of 9,500
6 Years, 93,000 Extension, 18,000 signing bonus, first three years salary guaranteed (46,500 total guarantees)
Year Salary/SBon/Cap
2015 6,500/3,000/9,500 (fully gty’d)
2016 9,500/3,000/12,500 (fully gty’d)
2017 12,500/3,000/15,500 (fully gty'd)
2018 12,500/3,000/15,500
2019 15,500/3,000/18,500
2020 18,500/3,000/21,500

Personally I like this structure. While it is a lot of guaranteed money and 6/93, effectively it is 5/74.5 with a ton of leverage for an extension in the 2020 offseason.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Justin Houston is a guy you build a while defense around.

You tell him that by the contract you offer him. It's a respect thing.

The guy deserves a deal worth close to 100m

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Something isn't adding up here, unless my math is way off...

Watt will make $43M in base salary over 5 years. $20M in bonus

The contract structure I posted, Houston would make $43.5M in base salary over 5 years. $20M in bonus.

Even within this reasonable contract, Houston is actually making more $63.5M vs. Watt's $63M

Year 6 and year 7 are irrelevant.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Devito cut saves 4
Cutting mays saves 2.7

Want more cap space?

Want more?

The best part of all of this stuff...we don't really lose anything on the field.

Bowe was a non factor
Daniel, mays and Devito didn't even really play
Berry didn't play
Hali was mostly ineffective in relation to his pay

Lots of free money imo

jd1020
02-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Watt will make $43M in base salary over 5 years. $20M in bonus

The contract below, Houston would make $43.5M in base salary over 5 years. $20M in bonus.

Even within this reasonable contract, Houston is actually making more $63.5M vs. Watt's $63M

Year 6 and year 7 are irrelevant.

Your numbers dont add up.

Depending on what you consider "on par with Watt." If that means 7/100, your numbers are 16.5M short, or if that means matching his yearly average, your numbers are 33M short.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:33 PM
Your numbers dont add up.

Depending on what you consider "on par with Watt." If that means 7/100, your numbers are 16.5M short, or if that means matching his yearly average, your numbers are 33M short.

Because you're paying too much attention to years 6 and 7 of the contract, where Watt is due $33M. The Texans don't have to pay him that. The first 5 years of the contract are practically guaranteed.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the Texans did that on purpose. $33M in meaningless money to make the contract add up to $100M. Watt will probably only make $63M over 5 years, and I'm sure he's not complaining one bit about that.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't have any problem giving Houston a carbon copy of Watts deal, really. That's the market for an elite defender that is a great pass rusher.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Because you're paying too much attention to years 6 and 7 of the contract, where Watt is due $33M. The Texans don't have to pay him that. The first 5 years of the contract are practically guaranteed.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the Texans did that on purpose. $33M in meaningless money to make the contract add up to $100M. Watt will probably only make $63M over years, and I'm sure he's no complaining one bit about that.

No I'm not. I'm paying attention to what you said.

You said on par with Watt over 7 years with $20M in bonuses, a 3.5M first year base, and 10M year bases for the remaining 6. Do the fucking math dude... it doesn't add up.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:40 PM

You said on par with Watt over 7 years with $20M in bonuses, a 3.5M first year base, and 10M year bases for the remaining 6. Do the ****ing math dude... it doesn't add up.

I didn't include year 6 and 7 in Houston's deal, which I should have. I didn't include them because it's irrelevant if Houston cares only about how much he'll actually get paid.

Take the same contract I gave to Houston and throw $35M in year 6 and 7 in non-guaranteed base salary. The numbers will add up to $98.5M. But who even cares? By that point, he'll cost only $4M to cut in year 6. By that point, you either restructure him again or cut him.

Nightfyre
02-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Watt's guaranteed money does only last through 2017. In 2018 and 2019, his cap hits are nominal, so he will play out those deals unless he has a stroke or something. 2020 and 2021 are where the Texans will probably re-evaluate his value going forward and either extend him or part ways with him.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Justin Houston is a guy you build a while defense around.

You tell him that by the contract you offer him. It's a respect thing.

The guy deserves a deal worth close to 100m
Houston is not Watt
Houston is not even Hali right now

a Blitzing LB doesn't deserve 100 million

If we pay him that much then he needs to move to the RDE/LB/Rushbacker spot and Hali needs to go or move etc.

jmo

jd1020
02-28-2015, 12:42 PM

Houston is better than Hali...

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Watt's guaranteed money does only last through 2017. In 2018 and 2019, his cap hits are nominal, so he will play out those deals unless he has a stroke or something. 2020 and 2021 are where the Texans will probably re-evaluate his value going forward and either extend him or part ways with him.

That right and it's why a select few of us don't mind it if they gave Houston a carbon copy of Watts deal.

kccrow
02-28-2015, 12:43 PM
You all never cease to amaze me. There was a reason Moore was not 1st string in a lineup of mostly no-name receivers. But, my post will be poo-pooed as sour grapes. So I'll just say I hope you do sign him. As much as you all bitch about receivers, ... never mind.

Why would I bitch about you posting your thoughts? Hell, I'd love to hear them on Moore.

My opinion is based on what I saw on the field prior to last season and I thought he looked to be a solid #2/#3 option. I don't think he's a #1 by any means, the Chiefs need to find that guy in the draft.

I'm not exactly sure of all the details of Moore's benching, but it sure didn't look to be because of his play on the field.

I'd like to hear more about it though.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Houston is not Watt

If we pay him that much then he needs to move to the RDE/LB/Rushbacker spot and Hali needs to go or move etc.

jmo

That's just silly.

Houston is the best defender this team has had in 30+ years that I've been a fan.

He is a much better defender than Derrick Thomas ever was.

Dee Ford is gonna be the ROLB unless they choose to bring Hali back at a lower rate and he will also be a strong pass rusher.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:45 PM

You said on par with Watt over 7 years with $20M in bonuses, a 3.5M first year base, and 10M year bases for the remaining 6. Do the ****ing math dude... it doesn't add up.

I have some numbers mixed up, but the mechanics make sense. Basically, either way gets you close to $100M in both scenarios.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Houston is better than Hali...
of course, but that's is not the point i made.

It's about the position.

jd1020
02-28-2015, 12:46 PM
of course, but that's which is not the point i made.

It's about the position.

What?

Your point was that he isn't Hali because he plays 20 feet away? WTF?????

penbrook
Houston is not Watt

jmo

Houstonis sorry much more than just a pass rusher. He's one of the best if not in pass coverage for a OLB and him stopping the run is the best as well plus he's the leader on that defense. When DJ and Berry went out Zhouston stepped up in that role and the defense played excellent

Nightfyre
of course, but that's which is not the point i made.

It's about the position.

Position is going to be far less important in Houston's contract talks than his production.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:49 PM
If anybody is a "blitzing linebacker" it's ROLB.

The LOLB has far more responsibilities because he plays on the strong side.

To say Houston needs to move to ROLB to earn the payday is showing your level of understanding of what these guys actually do.

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Plus Houston is excellent in coverage. His sack production would be even more insane if he wasn't asked to do that as much as he does.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Plus Houston is excellent in coverage. His sack production would be even more insane if he wasn't asked to do that as much as he does.

And he is one of the best run defenders in the NFL.

Mr. Laz
That's just silly.

Houston is the best defender this team has had in 30+ years that I've been a fan.

He is a much better defender than Derrick Thomas ever was.

again ....... not the point

Houston is not playing the position that Hali is playing
Houston is not playing the position that Thomas played

You don't pay an OLB 100 million dollars.

You pay a DE or a LB/DE a 100 million dollars.

IF .......... we pay Houston a 100-ish million dollar contract then we must also move him to a DE/LB position where he rush the passer and stop the run consistently. Not just win Sutton calls a blitz.

If they keep pay Houston and keep Hali then Hali needs to be a rotational type guy or we need to run a significant amount of 5-3 formations.

jd1020
Seriously... Houston nearly quadruples Hali's sack total with 5 PDef's vs Hali's 0 and... "he isn't Hali."

Nightfyre
02-28-2015, 12:53 PM
You have got to be fucking kidding me Laz. Houston may not be a pass-rushing specialist, but he provides pass-rushing production irrespective of his position, and he deserves to get paid for said production. If the Chiefs don't pay him for it, someone else will.

mcaj22
02-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Clay Matthews plays the same position/does the same thing as Houston and got like 67 million

are you saying guys like Matthews and Houston shouldnt be paid accordingly? Their production in their first 4 years is similar and you are basically paying Houston per the inflation of the cap/trend to where contracts are headed for premier talent.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2015, 12:54 PM
If anybody is a "blitzing linebacker" it's ROLB.

The LOLB has far more responsibilities because he plays on the strong side.

To say Houston needs to move to ROLB to earn the payday is showing your level of understanding of what these guys actually do.

You're just wrong.

You laugh at the Saints and their shitty cap management and then you say the Chiefs should pay a LOLB a 100 million dollars. smh.

Nightfyre
02-28-2015, 12:55 PM
You're just wrong.

You laugh at the Saints and their shitty cap management and then you say the Chiefs should pay a LOLB a 100 million dollars. smh.

JJ Watt is not a primary pass-rusher either. He is either a 5 tech or a LDE. Probably shouldn't have given him 100M.

Chief Roundup
02-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Some need to learn that in a restructure they cannot change the value or length of the contract. They can just change base salary to bonus and prorate it out over the remainder of the original length of the contract.
Renegotiate is where they can change the length and overall value of the contract.

O.city
02-28-2015, 01:05 PM
An olb in the 34 is basically a de, passrusher.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Same people were cheering that we paid a #2 wr like a #1 until they found out they were wrong.

Same people that shout 'just pay him' because they are too stupid to know better

Let's draft a safety in the top 5 and put him at SS!!

let's pay Hudson 9 million dollars!!!!!!

JFC

BossChief
02-28-2015, 01:12 PM
You're just wrong.

:facepalm:

Houston had 22 sacks, is an ELITE run defender and is good in coverage.

He does that while playing on the strong side of the defense.

HE IS THE BEST OLB IN THE NFL.

mcaj22
02-28-2015, 01:13 PM
at some point you're going to have to pay homegrown talent that turns out good big money.

That's the name of the game. You can't let everyone walk or you will be terrible forever. But I guess that makes no difference for the Chiefs because we are the blah blah

BossChief
02-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Same people were cheering that we paid a #2 wr like a #1 until they found out they were wrong.

Same people that shout 'just pay him' because they are too stupid to know better

Let's draft a safety in the top 5 and put him at SS!!

let's pay Hudson 9 million dollars!!!!!!

JFC

:facepalm:

You're embarrassing yourself

BossChief
02-28-2015, 01:20 PM
at some point you're going to have to pay homegrown talent that turns out good big money.

That's the name of the game. You can't let everyone walk or you will be terrible forever. But I guess that makes no difference for the Chiefs because we are the blah blah

They have done that.

Berry
DJ
Bowe
Flowers
Bailey
Charles
Hali

Honestly...I'm not sure there is a single move they have made (deciding to let someone walk or sign them) that I'd go back and reverse.

Carr wasn't worth the $
Albert was broken when they let him walk (and we should get a good comp pick for him)
Flowers could only get 3m in FA and missed 2 games to injury...not worth 10m
Tyson Jackson for 5? No
Asamoah or Schwartz for 4-5 each per yr? No
McCluster for 3? No

Dorsey has this team in a spot that it's very close to breaking through...this draft and FA period are gonna be very interesting.

Chief Roundup
02-28-2015, 01:32 PM

IF .......... we pay Houston a 100-ish million dollar contract then we must also move him to a DE/LB position where he rush the passer and stop the run consistently. Not just win Sutton calls a blitz.

If they keep pay Houston and keep Hali then Hali needs to be a rotational type guy or we need to run a significant amount of 5-3 formations.

What you do is you pay your best defender that is the best as his position in the entire league as the best defender at his position in the league! Right now that is Clay Matthews at just over a $13M a year average. It just so happens that if he signs a 6 year deal for an average of $15M a year it is $90M total.

You got to be kidding with that not as good as Hali comment too. Who is it that had all those sacks? I don't think it was Hali. I think we have all seen Halis ability starting to fade. Hali and Houston are both OLB.

milkman
02-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Good lord, Laz is a dumbass.

milkman
02-28-2015, 02:03 PM

OL
LB
WR

Run defense is, without question, a problem, but it was not the reason we didn't make the playoffs.

Play calling by Reid and lack of stones by Alex Smith is the primary reason for that failure.

Nightfyre
02-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Some need to learn that in a restructure they cannot change the value or length of the contract. They can just change base salary to bonus and prorate it out over the remainder of the original length of the contract.
Renegotiate is where they can change the length and overall value of the contract.

It's the same thing. If you reduce the Base Salary by "prorating it" and pay an equal amount as a signing bonus you are effectively restructuring within the extension.

Easy 6
02-28-2015, 02:32 PM
If this rumor has any legs, he can go **** himself... as a couple others have pointed out, we can probably grab both Boling and Wisniewski for that same money.

Eric Kush-lash, come on down...

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2015/02/27/rumor-rodney-hudson-wants-become-highest-paid-center-nfl/

RunKC
02-28-2015, 03:08 PM
They have done that.

Berry
DJ
Bowe
Flowers
Bailey
Charles
Hali

Honestly...I'm not sure there is a single move they have made (deciding to let someone walk or sign them) that I'd go back and reverse.

Carr wasn't worth the $
Albert was broken when they let him walk (and we should get a good comp pick for him)
Flowers could only get 3m in FA and missed 2 games to injury...not worth 10m
Tyson Jackson for 5? No
Asamoah or Schwartz for 4-5 each per yr? No
McCluster for 3? No

Dorsey has this team in a spot that it's very close to breaking through...this draft and FA period are gonna be very interesting.

Lof of people here will be John Dorsey fans soon, especially when they see this team in solid cap shape with draft picks looking good.

Eric Fisher is going to be really good next year when he's stronger. Dee Ford is gonna look really good when he is stronger and is used to the NFL.

This is the year we will start seeing Dorsey's draft come to fruition.

Sorter
02-28-2015, 03:52 PM

LMAO

Easy 6
02-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Its a very rare thing, but right now... yes, I'm here for the pile on.

Laz, you are 100% wrong about Houston... in so many ways, that guy IS our defense. Without him watch that top rated pass defense plummet right off a cliff.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 05:17 PM
Lof of people here will be John Dorsey fans soon, especially when they see this team in solid cap shape with draft picks looking good.

Eric Fisher is going to be really good next year when he's stronger. Dee Ford is gonna look really good when he is stronger and is used to the NFL.

This is the year we will start seeing Dorsey's draft come to fruition.

I'm a big Dee Ford fan. He was in my top 5 of guys I wanted us to have a chance at drafting. Elite athlete that has one of the best first steps I've seen.

I think he could benefit by having Hali around another year or 2 before being a full time starter, but he could play next year and be productive, but most likely be a liability against the run. He has a lot to learn, but he has all the tools to be a great player.

Ran a 4.53 40 yard dash at his proday after weighing 252lbs
Benched 225 29 times at his proday, also has big hands at 10 1/4 "
Broad jump of 10'4"

Had most of his sacks when the team needed them most in big games.

Had flat out ELITE times for sports science.

I think the kid can become a 10-15 sack per year guy if he can stay healthy and listens to the coaches and Tamba/Justin.

I had/have high hopes for Fisher, too..but the guy needs to stay in the weight room and grow his core strength and his technique needs refinement for that to happen. I still think he can be a top 10 LT, but there's a lot more work to do than I thought there would be after 2 years in the league and hope he doesn't continue to be injury prone.

Titty Meat
02-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Dee Ford showed big time pass rush ability toward the end of the year as he got more playing time.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 05:44 PM
He also showed impressive instincts against the run towards the end of the year...the guy has a great work ethic according to coaches and players and his improvement over the course of the year reflected that.

The only thing standing between him and pro bowls is his health.

Let's hope his back is solid and doesn't give him trouble in his NFL career because the kid is gonna be really good if he can continue to improve.

Nightfyre
02-28-2015, 09:58 PM
It hasn't been talked about at all, but if McCourty didn't get tagged - he'd be high on the list. The Patriots could elect to tag Gostkowski.

O.city
02-28-2015, 10:00 PM
It hasn't been talked about at all, but if McCourty didn't get tagged - he'd be high on the list. The Patriots could elect to tag Gostkowski.

Yeah for sure

I'd love Maclin or cobb or a top flight guard.

But we should probably be looking more at Kurt Coleman type players, miney wise

kccrow
03-01-2015, 12:54 AM
I didn't include year 6 and 7 in Houston's deal, which I should have. I didn't include them because it's irrelevant if Houston cares only about how much he'll actually get paid.

Take the same contract I gave to Houston and throw $35M in year 6 and 7 in non-guaranteed base salary. The numbers will add up to $98.5M. But who even cares? By that point, he'll cost only $4M to cut in year 6. By that point, you either restructure him again or cut him.

You said on par with Watt over 7 years with $20M in bonuses, a 3.5M first year base, and 10M year bases for the remaining 6. Do the fucking math dude... it doesn't add up.

I'm looking at these posts and just wanted to jump in here.

First, the NFL CBA says that you can only prorate guaranteed signing bonuses over 5 years, so that is why you see no guarantees at the end of Watt's deal.

So, obviously, the same would be true if you signed Houston for 6 years. You can only prorate his bonus over the first 5 years of the deal.

Also, on Watt's contract. It pays 62.9 million (rounding here) over the first 5 years, with 20.9 million guaranteed (10 million signing bonus and 10.9 million in salaries over the first two years). He has total salaries of 42.9 million over that time frame and a 10 million roster bonus in year 1.

So yeah, it really doesn't matter after that. The Texans will probably restructure Watt when those 5 years are up.

Essentially, Watt's contract is a 5 year deal averaging 12.6 million per.
Watt is slated to make the following:

Year 1: 12,907,385
Year 2: 11,969,000
Year 3: 12,500,000
Year 4: 12,500,000
Year 5: 13,000,000

You can set up a similar contract for Houston and throw whatever number you want in for year 6, but it is really just fluff.

This is why chiefzilla is saying it might be a 6 year, 100 million deal for Watt, but don't focus on that extra millions at the end. Watt signed an extension with 2 years left on his deal, which really makes it an 8 year contract. The three seasons at the end total an extra 46 million with nothing guaranteed, and we'll have to see if they even come into play.

What really matters is how much money Houston can make during guaranteed years. Watt made 30.9 million in the 1st two years of his contract. Expect Houston to get similar treatment.

I think a good look would be at the deal Mario Williams signed, where you don't have extensions involved. This could be the type of deal that Houston is looking for and isn't as friendly to KC as the deals that Watt and Matthews signed.

Williams got a 19 million signing bonus plus his 1st year salary guaranteed, so he got 24.9 million right up front. Then, in year 2, an 8 million option bonus kicked. Now, since Williams signed a 6 year deal, the option bonus helps to spread bonus money over the 6 years instead of just 5. The option can be prorated over 5 years just like a signing bonus. Since it was a 2nd year option, 1.6 million will apply to each year in years 2-6. Then, he gets roster bonuses in each of the remaining years, including a huge 10.6 million bonus in year 3.

All this bonus money ramps up Williams' contract to that huge figure of 96 million and puts the Bills on the hook for big money in year 3, before he becomes an option to cut in year 4. That money stays high for years 4 and 5 if they retain him.

I don't want to see that type of contract for Houston, but it could be coming. I'd hope he signed something similar to Watt and Matthews, but his agent will definitely push for the Williams deal.

In fact, I'd have to think KC might try to use a 6 year contract with an option bonus to try to keep his 1st year cap number lower, but that eventually catches up to a team. If the Chiefs could somehow eliminate those roster bonus escalators that total 17.6 million in Williams' contract, it could be an okay deal.

What I expect Houston to get if he gets Williams-type money is something like the following:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="759"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1536;width:32pt" width="42"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730; width:77pt" span="3" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3620;width:74pt" width="99"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3949;width:81pt" width="108"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height:15.0pt;width:32pt" height="20" width="42">Year</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Salary</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Signing Bonus</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Option Bonus</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:74pt" width="99">Roster Bonus</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Total Cap</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:81pt" width="108">Cap Savings</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Cash </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl73" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21">
</td> <td class="xl73" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 20,000,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,000,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl70" style="height:15.75pt" align="right" height="21">2015</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none"> $ 5,900,000 </td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $ 9,900,000 </td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $(14,100,000)</td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $ 25,900,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2016</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 6,500,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $(19,500,000)</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 16,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2017</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 18,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ (7,500,000)</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2018</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,100,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 16,100,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ (3,900,000)</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,100,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2019</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 11,500,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 3,000,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 20,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 3,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 14,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl73" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="21">2020</td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl75" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 18,500,000 </td> <td class="xl75" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,500,000 </td> <td class="xl75" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 16,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl70" style="height:15.75pt" height="21">
</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $ 96,000,000 </td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 42,400,000 </td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">1st 2 years</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="374" width="463"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1426;width:29pt" width="39"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730; width:77pt" span="3" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3620;width:74pt" width="99"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3949;width:81pt" width="108"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> </tr></tbody></table>

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Good breakdown. You're right. Mario Williams' deal was really, really poorly structured. Good lord, the Bills are going to take a huge uppercut in a few years.

Thank goodness JJ Watt set the bar much more reasonable. Turns out, it's an 8-year deal, but keeping the signing bonus low was a smart move for the Texans. It'll be interesting to see if the Bills and Texans just absorb the $10M in roster bonus, or turn that into signing bonus. If not, these guys are going to count $20M against their cap this year. In Williams' case, if you turn his roster bonus into signing bonus, his cap number the next 2 years is out of control. The Bills negotiated a really, really bad contract.

I'm looking at these posts and just wanted to jump in here.

First, the NFL CBA says that you can only prorate guaranteed signing bonuses over 5 years, so that is why you see no guarantees at the end of Watt's deal.

So, obviously, the same would be true if you signed Houston for 6 years. You can only prorate his bonus over the first 5 years of the deal.

Also, on Watt's contract. It pays 62.9 million (rounding here) over the first 5 years, with 20.9 million guaranteed (10 million signing bonus and 10.9 million in salaries over the first two years). He has total salaries of 42.9 million over that time frame and a 10 million roster bonus in year 1.

So yeah, it really doesn't matter after that. The Texans will probably restructure Watt when those 5 years are up.

Essentially, Watt's contract is a 5 year deal averaging 12.6 million per.
Watt is slated to make the following:

Year 1: 12,907,385
Year 2: 11,969,000
Year 3: 12,500,000
Year 4: 12,500,000
Year 5: 13,000,000

You can set up a similar contract for Houston and throw whatever number you want in for year 6, but it is really just fluff.

This is why chiefzilla is saying it might be a 6 year, 100 million deal for Watt, but don't focus on that extra millions at the end. Watt signed an extension with 2 years left on his deal, which really makes it an 8 year contract. The three seasons at the end total an extra 46 million with nothing guaranteed, and we'll have to see if they even come into play.

What really matters is how much money Houston can make during guaranteed years. Watt made 30.9 million in the 1st two years of his contract. Expect Houston to get similar treatment.

I think a good look would be at the deal Mario Williams signed, where you don't have extensions involved. This could be the type of deal that Houston is looking for and isn't as friendly to KC as the deals that Watt and Matthews signed.

Williams got a 19 million signing bonus plus his 1st year salary guaranteed, so he got 24.9 million right up front. Then, in year 2, an 8 million option bonus kicked. Now, since Williams signed a 6 year deal, the option bonus helps to spread bonus money over the 6 years instead of just 5. The option can be prorated over 5 years just like a signing bonus. Since it was a 2nd year option, 1.6 million will apply to each year in years 2-6. Then, he gets roster bonuses in each of the remaining years, including a huge 10.6 million bonus in year 3.

All this bonus money ramps up Williams' contract to that huge figure of 96 million and puts the Bills on the hook for big money in year 3, before he becomes an option to cut in year 4. That money stays high for years 4 and 5 if they retain him.

I don't want to see that type of contract for Houston, but it could be coming. I'd hope he signed something similar to Watt and Matthews, but his agent will definitely push for the Williams deal.

In fact, I'd have to think KC might try to use a 6 year contract with an option bonus to try to keep his 1st year cap number lower, but that eventually catches up to a team. If the Chiefs could somehow eliminate those roster bonus escalators that total 17.6 million in Williams' contract, it could be an okay deal.

What I expect Houston to get if he gets Williams-type money is something like the following:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="759"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1536;width:32pt" width="42"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730; width:77pt" span="3" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3620;width:74pt" width="99"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3949;width:81pt" width="108"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height:15.0pt;width:32pt" height="20" width="42">Year</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Salary</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Signing Bonus</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Option Bonus</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:74pt" width="99">Roster Bonus</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Total Cap</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:81pt" width="108">Cap Savings</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Cash </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl73" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21">
</td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 20,000,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,000,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl70" style="height:15.75pt" align="right" height="21">2015</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none"> $ 5,900,000 </td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl71" style="border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $ 9,900,000 </td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $(14,100,000)</td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $ 25,900,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2016</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 6,500,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $(19,500,000)</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 16,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2017</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 18,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ (7,500,000)</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2018</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,100,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 16,100,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ (3,900,000)</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,100,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="20">2019</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 11,500,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 3,000,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 20,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 3,500,000 </td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 14,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl73" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="21">2020</td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 12,500,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 2,000,000 </td> <td class="xl74" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 4,000,000 </td> <td class="xl75" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 18,500,000 </td> <td class="xl75" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 10,500,000 </td> <td class="xl75" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 16,500,000 </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl70" style="height:15.75pt" height="21">
</td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none"> $ 96,000,000 </td> <td class="xl72" style="border-left:none">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">
</td> <td class="xl69" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 42,400,000 </td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">1st 2 years</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="374" width="463"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1426;width:29pt" width="39"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730; width:77pt" span="3" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3620;width:74pt" width="99"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3949;width:81pt" width="108"><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> </tr></tbody></table>

O.city
03-01-2015, 09:39 AM
He wouldn't be my top choice, but Kenny britt would be a cheap intriguing option. Mainly because I didn't realize he's only 26.

SAUTO
03-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Jeremy Maclin for a number of reasons...#1. They can shred Bowe's contract...thus turning a profit for a #1 WR that is perfect for the offense. #2. Use the 1st round pick to replace DJ. Interior defense was why KC didn't make the playoffs. #3. use the 2nd pick to get a quality (value) WR...use the comp picks if they need to trade up. #4. sign O-line FA...and Hudson...structure his contract so he gets paid a lot next year when KC has a better cap situation.
Can't trade comp picks

Chief Roundup
03-01-2015, 10:31 AM
It's the same thing. If you reduce the Base Salary by "prorating it" and pay an equal amount as a signing bonus you are effectively restructuring within the extension.

It is not the same thing. There is no extension in a restructure.

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2015, 12:18 PM
It is not the same thing. There is no extension in a restructure.

Yeah, I think it's a fair point.

Basically, there are two ways to create cap savings on a contract:
1) Restructure the existing terms -- same $'s/years, just different ways to prorate it
2) Negotiate a new less favorable contract -- different $'s and/or # of years

When people don't understand that difference, you see a lot of dumbass comments about how a player took a paycut for the good of the team. Completely wrong. Option 2, on the other hand, is a true paycut

Titty Meat
03-01-2015, 01:01 PM
He wouldn't be my top choice, but Kenny britt would be a cheap intriguing option. Mainly because I didn't realize he's only 26.

No thanks.

DJJasonp
03-01-2015, 02:48 PM
I would love to say Cobb, or any other viable WR......but until we have a QB that can actually stretch the field, and make the defensive secondary actually defend......welp....

So with that said, the best available o-lineman.

KCrockaholic
03-01-2015, 06:20 PM
I would love to say Cobb, or any other viable WR......but until we have a QB that can actually stretch the field, and make the defensive secondary actually defend......welp....

So with that said, the best available o-lineman.

This doesn't make sense to me. We have a limited QB. So let's not worry about giving him weapons? Let's just buy him more time in the pocket to sit around and check down instead?

Discuss Thrower
03-01-2015, 06:22 PM
This doesn't make sense to me. We have a limited QB. So let's not worry about giving him weapons? Let's just buy him more time in the pocket to sit around and check down instead?

It would be one thing if Smith's limitation was arm strength.

His limitation is in his groin. He doesn't have the sack to take chances.

Nightfyre
03-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Smith's arm strength is a limitation as well. But yeah, he also has zero cajones.

KCrockaholic
03-01-2015, 06:27 PM
It would be one thing if Smith's limitation was arm strength.

His limitation is in his groin. He doesn't have the sack to take chances.

Ha. Yeah, exactly. But I mean, just throwing our arms up and saying screw going after an underneath playmaker such as Cobb for example, and get a RT instead isn't helping the problem to me. Alex Smith has proven during his entire career that he can have a good OL, and make it look bad. He takes sacks that aren't there and he's done that forever. I think he could make the Cowboys OL look average right now.

BlackOp
03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Guys like Cobb worry me...when you have a Rogers/Manning type throwing, it tends to make just about anyone look like a world beater. Can he duplicate his performance without Nelson and an all world QB?

penbrook
03-01-2015, 07:11 PM
I believe Maclin will be a Chief

Discuss Thrower
03-01-2015, 07:13 PM
I believe Maclin will be a Chief

And I believe I'll get laid sometime in the next year.

But that's incredibly unlikely.

srvy
03-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Ha. Yeah, exactly. But I mean, just throwing our arms up and saying screw going after an underneath playmaker such as Cobb for example, and get a RT instead isn't helping the problem to me. Alex Smith has proven during his entire career that he can have a good OL, and make it look bad. He takes sacks that aren't there and he's done that forever. I think he could make the Cowboys OL look average right now.

This wont be popular nor do I have any idea if this is the Chiefs plan. But if they are trying to build a young dominating offensive line thru the draft AS is not the one who will see the benefit. He will be the one taking most the lumps because by the time they would gel Smith will probably be gone or dead. I dont even know if its there plan because who knows what timetable Hunt has given these guys to get it done or what Hunts patience is.

jd1020
03-01-2015, 07:16 PM
This wont be popular nor do I have any idea if this is the Chiefs plan. But if they are trying to build a young dominating offensive line thru the draft AS is not the one who will see the benefit. He will be the one taking most the lumps because by the time they would gel Smith will probably be gone or dead. I dont even know if its there plan because who knows what timetable Hunt has given these guys to get it done or what Hunts patience is.

That might be their plan now. It's hard to believe that was their plan from the start. You don't trade 2 high picks and sign the guy to $45M guaranteed to be just a guy.

KCrockaholic
03-01-2015, 07:20 PM

Reid really sees Alex as the guy he can win with. I don't know what the long term vision is, but I know they believe they can win now with Alex.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
03-01-2015, 09:59 PM
So was Pryor signed as a possible cheaper alternative to Daniels?

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2015, 10:12 PM

Definitely not Daniels, but maybe Daniel.

kcchiefsus
03-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Let's just be realistic. We're probably not signing anybody that we as fans are asking for. Also, we probably will lose either Hudson or Houston and will lose the other one the following season after the franchise tag becomes too expensive for a second consecutive season.

We're probably drafting a nose tackle fairly high in preparation to let Poe walk next year.

We'll add some nobody receiver in free agency and maybe one in the 3rd. We'll maybe reach a grand total of 5 touchdowns to wide receivers which is still pathetic and we'll fail to have any receiver surpass 1,000 yards.

Because we're the Chiefs. We'll go 9-7 or 10-6 and get embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs if we even make it.

Discuss Thrower
03-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Let's just be realistic. We're probably not signing anybody that we as fans are asking for. Also, we probably will lose either Hudson or Houston and will lose the other one the following season after the franchise tag becomes too expensive for a second consecutive season.

We're probably drafting a nose tackle fairly high in preparation to let Poe walk next year.

We'll add some nobody receiver in free agency and maybe one in the 3rd. We'll maybe reach a grand total of 5 touchdowns to wide receivers which is still pathetic and we'll fail to have any receiver surpass 1,000 yards.

Because we're the Chiefs. We'll go 9-7 or 10-6 and get embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs if we even make it.

This.

And hey, buy SungWoo a beer for me.

RealSNR
03-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Daniels is very popular these days. It takes a lot of money to keep him around.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODA3MDI4NDcxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTgyMzY1._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Titty Meat
03-02-2015, 12:59 AM

Travis Daniels was a safety but hasn't played in a few years. Are you suggesting Pryor becomes a backup safety?

Jiu Jitsu Jon
03-02-2015, 02:03 AM
Travis Daniels was a safety but hasn't played in a few years. Are you suggesting Pryor becomes a backup safety?

If he'd been open to that possibility, don't you think we'd put him opposite Charles Woodsons?