PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs An outside the box idea for the Eric Berry situation

BossChief
02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
It sucks to lose a guy like Berry to something out of everyone's control. I want to see the Chiefs handle the situation by taking care of Eric while also giving us cap space because the guy has a 8.4m cap number.

I think the best move would be to give the guy a contract extension.

Take his base salary for 2015 ...5,155,000 and the workout bonus of 300,000 and make that his signing bonus for a new 6 year deal.Put a reasonable roster bonus in there for 2016 and hope and pray he comes back.

What this does for Berry:

He gets every dime he would have gotten this upcoming year in one lump sum to help him fight this thing. Gives him a open door to return to action once he can return. Lets him know the Chiefs are 100% in his corner.

What this does for KC:

PR win.
Saves about 4m off this years cap
Ensures he stays in KC if he can return in a year.

There are other benefits and drawbacks, but I thought this kind of thing would be the best way to handle the Eric Berry situation.

Thoughts?

Nightfyre
02-27-2015, 07:14 PM
I agree with all your points boss - but NFI him each year and don't pay him the salary. This will allow him to keep the 5.5M spread out over five years and give us rights to him when he gets back and only take a 1.1M hit against the cap each year.

From the other thread.

notorious
02-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Pay him under the table.

BossChief
02-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Pay him under the table.

The new spokesperson for hunt industries: Eric Berry

notorious
02-27-2015, 07:17 PM
The new spokesperson for hunt industries: Eric Berry

Works for me.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2015, 08:44 PM
restructure the deal to make yearly base a bonus so that it gets paid all up front

put Berry on NFI

he only counts against cap in a pro-rated way, but still gets paid

roster slot is opened up but he is still on team

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Have some "media members" tell their "friends" about rumors of Berry's violent occurrences. Maybe that will get the Chiefs off the hook.

Buehler445
02-27-2015, 11:27 PM
Any and all sounds good.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Have some "media members" tell their "friends" about rumors of Berry's violent occurrences. Maybe that will get the Chiefs off the hook.

:)

AustinChief
02-28-2015, 02:37 AM
um, or we can not jump the gun and see how his recovery goes. There is a VERY good chance he will play in 2015. Maybe not right away but after week 6.

There have been athletes who have recovered within MONTHS from Hodgkins lymphoma. At this point, I prefer not to count Berry out.

notorious
02-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Hope for the best, but expect the worst, Mr. AustinC.

This is the Chiefs after all.

BossChief
02-28-2015, 09:39 AM
um, or we can not jump the gun and see how his recovery goes. There is a VERY good chance he will play in 2015. Maybe not right away but after week 6.

There have been athletes who have recovered within MONTHS from Hodgkins lymphoma. At this point, I prefer not to count Berry out.

If he returns, then he's already under contract with an extension in place.

gblowfish
02-28-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm only concerned with EB's life. I don't care if he ever plays football again. That's pretty much irrelevant when facing a life threatening disease. I just hope he lives a full and happy life, and sticks around for many years.

Rausch
02-28-2015, 11:01 AM
I really, really want to believe KC will take care of Berry but they won't.

They'll kick him out a speeding buss and if he survives after 10 years they'll wheel him out at half time...

Rausch
02-28-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm only concerned with EB's life.

This...

BossChief
07-31-2015, 09:31 AM
Kiss my ass, Hootie.

ModSocks
07-31-2015, 09:56 AM

....oooooo.....

BossChief
07-31-2015, 10:04 AM

:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2015, 10:04 AM
Kiss my ass, Hootie.

Be careful. Hootie will literally take you up on that while simultaneously peeing on you.

Hootie
07-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Kiss my ass, Hootie.
Not the link I'm talking about. I want the one where Dane went all high and mighty about the NFL being a business

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Not the link I'm talking about. I want the one where Dane went all high and mighty about the NFL being a business

Why don't you learn how to use the search function yourself?

Oh yeah: Too fucking stupid.

Duh.

BossChief
07-31-2015, 10:19 AM

Oh, I'm shocked that your high school ass was talking out of it, again.

Btw I bumped the other thread where I put down the notion of cutting him and instead either extending him or placing him on the NFI list (same as they did in 2014 and I've said all along. Sorry you don't understand the meaning of that)

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Oh, I'm shocked that your high school ass was talking out of it, again.

Btw I bumped the other thread where I put down the notion of cutting him and instead either extending him or placing him on the NFI list (same as they did in 2014 and I've said all along. Sorry you don't understand the meaning of that)

Hootie thinks he's an expert on every subject.

Hootie believes that all 12 balls in the Deflategate investigation were under-inflated by one pound per square inch.

Hootie believes that he has so-called "Football Knowledge" but in reality, it's called Sports Trivia and he's often wrong.

Hootie is the typical dumbass drunk at the end of the bar that's constantly muttering to himself yet thinks he's part of the greater conversation.

Hootie is a fucking loser.

BossChief
07-16-2016, 10:21 PM
It sucks to lose a guy like Berry to something out of everyone's control. I want to see the Chiefs handle the situation by taking care of Eric while also giving us cap space because the guy has a 8.4m cap number.

Take his base salary for 2015 ...5,155,000 and the workout bonus of 300,000 and make that his signing bonus for a new 6 year deal.Put a reasonable roster bonus in there for 2016 and hope and pray he comes back.

He gets every dime he would have gotten this upcoming year in one lump sum to help him fight this thing. Gives him a open door to return to action once he can return. Lets him know the Chiefs are 100% in his corner.

What this does for KC:

PR win.

There are other benefits and drawbacks, but I thought this kind of thing would be the best way to handle the Eric Berry situation.

Thoughts?

This might have worked out

DaneMcCloud
07-16-2016, 11:13 PM
This might have worked out

He and his agent would have never gone for it

It's clear that either they have unreasonable expectations or that he wants out of KC.

Either way, he's gone.

Red Dawg
07-16-2016, 11:19 PM
Berry is as good as gone. I just hope he raises his level of play this year looking for his 12 mil elsewhere.

Chiefshrink
07-17-2016, 12:02 AM

What this does for KC:

PR win.

Thoughts?

You are a genius !!!!:clap:

Chiefshrink
07-17-2016, 12:08 AM
He and his agent would have never gone for it

It's clear that either they have unreasonable expectations or that he wants out of KC.

Either way, he's gone.

He didn't want out of KC. I think he and his camp thought he was more valuable than he really is and now he just legislated himself right out of KC inadvertently I'm afraid after this upcoming season.

DaneMcCloud
07-17-2016, 12:21 AM
He didn't want out of KC.

The mere fact that neither side was ever close during these negotiations proves that he wanted out.

"Wanting out" doesn't mean bias, it means he wanted to go somewhere that would pay him what he believes he's worth and the Chiefs weren't willing to pay that price.

Chiefshrink
07-17-2016, 12:42 AM
The mere fact that neither side was ever close during these negotiations proves that he wanted out.

"Wanting out" doesn't mean bias, it means he wanted to go somewhere that would pay him what he believes he's worth and the Chiefs weren't willing to pay that price.

I see your point but I think this is a unique situation where Berry struggled being on the field with his injury and having cancer and not living up to the Ed Reed/Polamalu type of hype and play we thought we were getting when we originally drafted him. Yet he is a great team leader on and off the field while fending off cancer at the moment and playing solidly but really not 5th overall pick play but yet winning the comeback player of the year can play with your ego and you can overestimate yourself very easily. He was the first one with the shot across the bow. If the shot had never come then I would agree with your theory. He vastly overestimated his playing worth to this team. Mgmt sees him as good. Berry sees himself as great. Good doesn't get you the $$.

DaneMcCloud
07-17-2016, 12:46 AM
I see your point but I think this is a unique situation where Berry struggled being on the field with his injury and having cancer and not living up to the Ed Reed/Polamalu type of hype and play we thought we were getting when we originally drafted him. Yet he is a great team leader on and off the field while fending off cancer at the moment and playing solidly but really not 5th overall pick play but yet winning the comeback player of the year can play with your ego and you can overestimate yourself very easily. He was the first one with the shot across the bow. If the shot had never come then I would agree with your theory. He vastly overestimated his playing worth to this team. Mgmt sees him as good. Berry sees himself as great. Good doesn't get you the $$.

The bottom line is that in choosing not to negotiate in good faith, he sealed his fate.

That was a conscious choice. He wasn't a victim of circumstance.