PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Hypothetical Poll/Discussion: Houston or two 1sts

Dante84
03-02-2015, 10:03 AM
We used the Non-Exclusive tag on Houston, meaning that another team is able to sign him to an offer that we either have to match - or, let him go and in return receive 2 1st round picks from that team.

If Dorsey is negotiating with Houston's agent, and the two sides can't seem to come to agreement about a long term deal, how would you feel about the Chiefs declining to match an offer that came in, resulting in the two 1st rounders?

Poll in a moment.

Update:
PFT: Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.

notorious
03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Oh shit.

Rausch
03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
A Houston in the hand is worth more than 5 first round picks in Dorsey's...

MTG#10
03-02-2015, 10:05 AM
I'd rather sign him, but two firsts would be a nice consolation prize if we cant. It will never happen though.

Bugeater
03-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Yes, please give me two busts in place of Houston

BigChiefFan
03-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Depends on who's offering the 1st round picks. Is it New England and we get the 32nd overall pick or is it a cellar dweller offering the picks?

wazu
If you don't plan to sign long term it would be stupid to not take the picks.

Mr. Laz
A Houston in the hand is worth more than 5 first round picks in Dorsey's...
pretty much

Entire question depends on the ability of Dorsey to draft.

I haven't seen any indication that Dorsey can draft worth a dam yet.

so Houston > draft picks of any number

Rausch
03-02-2015, 10:09 AM
If you don't plan to sign long term it would be stupid to not take the picks.

It would be stupid not to sign him long term...

notorious
03-02-2015, 10:10 AM
If he wants to be here.

I am worried.

wazu
03-02-2015, 10:11 AM
It would be stupid not to sign him long term...

Agreed. I believe this poll is predicated on that stupid decision having already been made, though.

Rausch
03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Agreed. I believe this poll is predicated on that stupid decision having already been made, though.

If it has someone email me when Dorsey is fired...

srvy
03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
We have pissed the young man off we are just renting him for a year. Might as well get the picks. We are not allowed nice things in KC.

wazu
03-02-2015, 10:36 AM
If it has someone email me when Dorsey is fired...

Can't fire him. They need him to get started on a long term deal for Eric Fisher.

rico
03-02-2015, 10:38 AM
If he doesn't want to be here, fuck him... Take the two first round picks...that way we wouldn't have to potentially deal with him playing for us with a bad attitude/chip on his shoulder...and get something hopefully nice in return.

notorious
03-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Can't fire him. They need him to get started on a long term deal for Eric Fisher.

I know you are joking, but:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/insulted.gif

Dante84
03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Updated to include:

Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.

-King-
03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Houston. Chances are whoever you draft with those two picks won't be elite players. Even combined their values won't be as big as Houston.

Dante84
03-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Houston. Chances are whoever you draft with those two picks won't be elite players. Even combined their values won't be as big as Houston.

Even if its for just 1, really expensive year?

-King-
03-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Even if its for just 1, really expensive year?

Gives them time to work out a deal or be in the same situation next year. So if they can't get a deal done in the next 365 days, oh well, we can franchise him again and get the two 1sts in 2016 and 2017.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Updated to include:

stole that from my thread for yours

douche LMAO

Dante84
03-02-2015, 10:52 AM
stole that from my thread for yours

douche LMAO

haha

I honestly got it from the Houston thread - I'm serious.

That's what happens when there's 2 convos going on at the same time!

EDIT - The evidence:
Justin Houston situation is about to get very interesting

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2015, 11:24 AM EST
Kansas City Chiefs v Jacksonville Jaguars
Getty Images
The Chiefs finally did what has been expected for months — they’ve applied the franchise tag to linebacker Justin Houston. And as explained over the weekend (when most of you weren’t devoting non-work time to non-work reading of the Internet), it’s much closer to the start of the process than the end of it.

The Chiefs opted for the non-exclusive version of the tag. On one hand, it’s cheaper than the exclusive level of the tag. On the other hand, it allows another team to sign Houston to an offer sheet that, if not matched by the Chiefs, would result in Houston changing hands for a pair of first-round picks.

Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.

Houston, we’re told, is seriously considering staying away from the Chiefs until the Week 10 deadline for signing the franchise tender. If nothing materializes by then, Houston would sign the tender, finish the season, and hit the market in 2016 — unless the Chiefs plan to tender him again, at a 20-percent raise over the 2015 franchise tender.

That’s a stark change from Houston’s in-season plan to sign the tender right away, gladly accepting the life-transforming $13 million or so for one year of play. That 22-sack season may have been a factor in Houston’s change of plans.

Finally, Houston will consult with the NFLPA to explore the possibility of filing a grievance seeking the defensive end franchise tender, which will be higher than the linebacker tender. Seven years ago, Ravens and Terrell Suggs engaged in a similar fight, with the two sides agreeing to essentially split the difference. For Houston, it could be a bit more challenging because he actually does play a considerable amount of linebacker, dropping into coverage in some passing situations.

Which makes him more versatile, makes his 22 sacks more impressive, and potentially makes him a lot more attractive to a team with a desperate coach and/or G.M. who may not be around to use the future draft picks that would be sacrificed to get Houston now.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 10:53 AM
haha

I honestly got it from the Houston thread - I'm serious.

That's what happens when there's 2 convos going on at the same time!

actually that's 3 threads

why don't you delete yours

:evil:

Dante84
03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
lulz

Fair enough, Fair enough

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
lulz

Fair enough, Fair enough
just bullshitting around

not enough football posted around here to worry about it

free-for-all

w00t!!!

Dante84
03-02-2015, 11:01 AM
ALL OF THE THREADS

SO MUCH FOOTBALL

notorious
03-02-2015, 11:02 AM
ALL OF THE VAGINAS

SO MUCH SAND

/CP

OldSchool
03-02-2015, 11:13 AM
I'd take the 2 1st round picks over renting him for $13mil + for a year. This draft has plenty of potentially great 3-4 OLBs and no team has ever won a Superbowl because of the efforts of a single great pass rusher. More high picks + more cap space = better chance of putting together a complete team for a run.

notorious
03-02-2015, 11:14 AM
IF we take the two 1st rounder to finally draft our franchise QB, it will be worth it.

If it ends up being two fatties..........

Rausch
03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
/CP

Deservedly.

We have the first player since DT to have an impact on the game like DT and we want to go all Carl Peterson on him...

Rain Man
03-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Wait, so is there no option at all to keep Houston for the long term?

wazu
03-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Correct. So tell us, would you rather gouge out both of your eyes or chop your dick off?

Dante84
03-02-2015, 11:36 AM

For the purposes of this thread, we are assuming that a long term deal is unable to be worked out because the Chiefs are unwilling to meet Houston's (potentially) crippling financial demands.

Frosty
03-02-2015, 11:38 AM
I would rather have Houston than the two picks. However, if he is going to hold out for a contract that would completely hamstring the team cap-wise, the two 1sts would be decent compensation. Unfortunately, Houston hasn't shown he is reasonable when it comes to contract negotiations and I am worried that he is asking for the moon.

Dante84
03-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Here's my thinking. I ****ing love Houston.

But.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Houston's incredible passrushing, and his cap hit
vs.
Ability to sign Hudson, maybe restructure and keep Hali, a lot more money to sign Poe next year, maybe a guy like Cobb if the deal is structured right, and then have 2 extra 1sts on the rookie wage scale for the next 4 years.... but no elite Justin Houston passrush.

Coogs
03-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Jax is a team with money. Money talks in this business. Overall #3 pick.

wazu
03-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Jax is a team with money. Money talks in this business. Overall #3 pick.

How exciting. Pretty much guaranteed to get a stud drafting that high.

Dante84
03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
How exciting. Pretty much guaranteed to get a stud drafting that high.

lulz

tyson jackson joke

lulz

Eleazar
03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Kind of a stupid question. Would you rather get two first round picks or nothing?

wazu
03-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Kind of a stupid question. Would you rather get two first round picks or nothing?

And yet 23% of respondents chose "nothing".

Rausch
03-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Here's my thinking. I ****ing love Houston.

But.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Houston's incredible passrushing, and his cap hit
vs.
Ability to sign Hudson, maybe restructure and keep Hali, a lot more money to sign Poe next year, maybe a guy like Cobb if the deal is structured right, and then have 2 extra 1sts on the rookie wage scale for the next 4 years.... but no elite Justin Houston passrush.

No one, NO PLAYER ON THIS TEAM is worth losing Houston.

jd1020
03-02-2015, 12:40 PM

We wouldn't get nothing. We'd get a 3rd round comp pick. Dorsey loves him some comp picks.

Nightfyre
03-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Hypothetical situation for the Planet to consider:

McCourty + Maclin + 2 1sts

vs.

Houston.

Food for thought.

The Franchise
03-02-2015, 01:40 PM
We don't have the money to franchise Houston right now and people just assume that we're going to go out and sign McCourty + Maclin AND 3 fully guaranteed 1st round picks if we don't give him a new deal?

Nightfyre
03-02-2015, 01:54 PM
We don't have the money to franchise Houston right now and people just assume that we're going to go out and sign McCourty + Maclin AND 3 fully guaranteed 1st round picks if we don't give him a new deal?

Pesty, if Houston gets an offer sheet and gets signed away, then we get two firsts, plus we have ~15-17/year in cap space that otherwise would have been tied up in Houston. 15-17/year is about 85-90% of what would be required to sign Maclin and McCourty.

Discuss Thrower
03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
The more I think about it... It would be a better thing in the long run for KC to extort draft picks out of a team for Houston.

The Chiefs aren't close to winning a playoff game with or without Houston. They're better off with the lottery picks that two extra firsts (ideally) would provide to build the core of a team that might be a playoff contender 3-4 years down the line.

jd1020
03-02-2015, 02:12 PM
The more I think about it... It would be a better thing in the long run for KC to extort draft picks out of a team for Houston.

The Chiefs aren't close to winning a playoff game with or without Houston. They're better off with the lottery picks that two extra firsts (ideally) would provide to build the core of a team that might be a playoff contender 3-4 years down the line.

How is it better?

Houston just turned 26 years old. What are the chances that the Chiefs find equal value out of those 2 picks?

Nightfyre
03-02-2015, 02:15 PM
How is it better?

Houston just turned 26 years old. What are the chances that the Chiefs find equal value out of those 2 picks?

It would be two first round picks PLUS 16 mill per year in cap space. You could do a shitload of damage with that.

jd1020
03-02-2015, 02:16 PM
It would be two first round picks PLUS 16 mill per year in cap space. You could do a shitload of damage with that.

And you could also swing and miss. Chances are in the favor of swinging and missing.

FRCDFED
03-02-2015, 02:17 PM
If he doesn't want to be here, **** him... Take the two first round picks...that way we wouldn't have to potentially deal with him playing for us with a bad attitude/chip on his shoulder...and get something hopefully nice in return.This

O.city
03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
It could be said that once Houston signs a longterm extension, that value plummets. If they pay him watt money and he produces to watt oevel, it's no problem.

But either way, I don't think you go wrong here.

jd1020
03-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Justin Houston wanted a contract last year and played the season while making $1.4M. He went on to nearly break the sack record. Don't think you have to worry about him playing with a bad attitude while making $13.2M.

Tribal Warfare
03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Houston he's an elite player who plays a positional valuable spot as a Pass Rusher. with the two 1st rounders oneed will be geared or both will be packaged for a PR in the draft. Optimally we break even with this because there will be a massive hole in both the pass rush and in run defense.

Chiefnj2
03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
I don't trust Dorsey with first round draft picks. I'd get rid of Bowe and try to sign Dez for two firsts.

jd1020
03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
I don't trust Dorsey with first round draft picks. I'd get rid of Bowe and try to sign Dez for two firsts.

LMAO

Dante84
03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Interesting points.

2 picks and cap would be nice....

Discuss Thrower
03-02-2015, 02:53 PM
They can't kick the can any longer.

It's time to blow up the roster and start over.

WhawhaWhat
03-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Can you imagine the OL the Chiefs would have with 2 additional 1st round picks?

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2015, 03:01 PM
How is it better?

If the Chiefs could get "Equal Value" plus $16 million in cap relief, I'd take that deal every time.

The worst that could happen is that you replace Houston's 22 sacks with a guy that gets 8-10 sacks, which is what Houston was doing before last year.

jd1020
03-02-2015, 03:08 PM
If the Chiefs could get "Equal Value" plus $16 million in cap relief, I'd take that deal every time.

The worst that could happen is that you replace Houston's 22 sacks with a guy that gets 8-10 sacks, which is what Houston was doing before last year.

Houston got more than 10 sacks in a partial season...