PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Justin Houston to file grievance against Chiefs and tag?

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
according to DP show

no link

Justin Houston situation is about to get very interesting

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2015, 11:24 AM EST

The Chiefs finally did what has been expected for months — they’ve applied the franchise tag to linebacker Justin Houston. And as explained over the weekend (when most of you weren’t devoting non-work time to non-work reading of the Internet), it’s much closer to the start of the process than the end of it.

The Chiefs opted for the non-exclusive version of the tag. On one hand, it’s cheaper than the exclusive level of the tag. On the other hand, it allows another team to sign Houston to an offer sheet that, if not matched by the Chiefs, would result in Houston changing hands for a pair of first-round picks.

Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.

Houston, we’re told, is seriously considering staying away from the Chiefs until the Week 10 deadline for signing the franchise tender. If nothing materializes by then, Houston would sign the tender, finish the season, and hit the market in 2016 — unless the Chiefs plan to tender him again, at a 20-percent raise over the 2015 franchise tender.

That’s a stark change from Houston’s in-season plan to sign the tender right away, gladly accepting the life-transforming $13 million or so for one year of play. That 22-sack season may have been a factor in Houston’s change of plans.

Finally, Houston will consult with the NFLPA to explore the possibility of filing a grievance seeking the defensive end franchise tender, which will be higher than the linebacker tender. Seven years ago, Ravens and Terrell Suggs engaged in a similar fight, with the two sides agreeing to essentially split the difference. For Houston, it could be a bit more challenging because he actually does play a considerable amount of linebacker, dropping into coverage in some passing situations.

Which makes him more versatile, makes his 22 sacks more impressive, and potentially makes him a lot more attractive to a team with a desperate coach and/or G.M. who may not be around to use the future draft picks that would be sacrificed to get Houston now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/02/justin-houston-situation-is-about-to-get-very-interesting/

Dante84
03-02-2015, 10:19 AM
In the Houston thread

Rausch
03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Jason Cole recently reported that the Chiefs are going to get a long-term done with Houston at some point.

:grovel:

notorious
03-02-2015, 10:22 AM
:grovel:

No shit.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 10:22 AM
In the Houston thread
yea, it's sort of a different issue though

:shrug:

Dante84
03-02-2015, 10:23 AM
True true - just saying it's in there being bitched about too

the Talking Can
03-02-2015, 10:24 AM
link is from december

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
True true - just saying it's in there being bitched about too

If a mod wants to squish them together, i'm fine with it

Rausch
03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
link is from december

:banghead:

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 10:27 AM
:banghead:

link is from december

i was in a hurry

I will change it to a current one

notorious
03-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Yep, that just sucked the wind right out of my sail.

Chief Roundup
03-02-2015, 10:32 AM
If Houston does this then he is just playing a BS option. He was not a DE he didn't line up at the DE position and he knows these things as does his agent. It is all just a bunch of media/player BS.
Trying to pull some BS of, I actually play a more expensive position because there is more money it for me even though I am going to be the highest paid OLB, which still puts him in the top 5 of DE in the fucking league, will just piss off the fans at him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-02-2015, 11:36 AM
If Houston does this then he is just playing a BS option. He was not a DE he didn't line up at the DE position and he knows these things as does his agent. It is all just a bunch of media/player BS.
Trying to pull some BS of, I actually play a more expensive position because there is more money it for me even though I am going to be the highest paid OLB, which still puts him in the top 5 of DE in the fucking league, will just piss off the fans at him.

At him? I don't fucking think so.

BigMeatballDave
03-02-2015, 11:51 AM
link is from december

No its not.

Rausch
03-02-2015, 11:52 AM
i was in a hurry

I will change it to a current one

There's a current link that says it's likely Houston signs long term with KC?

I doubt that...

BWillie
03-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Oh, boohooo i get to make Top 5 money of players at my position...booo hoooo wahhh

In58men
03-02-2015, 11:58 AM
We won't pay the best player in the NFL at his position, but we will pay QB who many think is a 2nd tier QB $17 million a year? Rough

Old Dog
03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Fuck him. He plays OLB, not DE.

Rain Man
03-02-2015, 12:15 PM
So what's happening here? Why is this suddenly so hostile and contentious that he doesn't want to play for the Chiefs any more? I can understand negotiating and haggling, but this seems like it's become hostile.

Rain Man
03-02-2015, 12:15 PM
**** him. He plays OLB, not DE.

Yeah, there's no way he's a defensive end. If he and his agent are pushing for that, it's just stupid.

In58men
03-02-2015, 12:16 PM
So what's happening here? Why is this suddenly so hostile and contentious that he doesn't want to play for the Chiefs any more? I can understand negotiating and haggling, but this seems like it's become hostile.

You spelled Cheaps wrong.

BWillie
03-02-2015, 12:21 PM
We won't pay the best player in the NFL at his position, but we will pay QB who many think is a 2nd tier QB $17 million a year? Rough

This is troo though....pretty crazy how almost everybody on here even said that when we signed Smiff. Almost all of us said focus on Justin Houston first..then he goes out and plays out of his mind. If the Chiefs would have just signed Houston before the year, they would have saved tens of millions of dollars.

But what does Chiefsplanet know? We are just a bunch of guys living in our mom's basement

ChiefsCountry
03-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Color me shocked on the day they get slapped with the franchise tag, the doomsday scenarios are release to the media. I mean that never happens with agents and teams at all.

RealSNR
03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Didn't Terrell Suggs already try to pull this same exact shit and lose?

Rausch
03-02-2015, 12:39 PM

And so did Graham.

Only difference being Chiefs never win these contract disputes.

BossChief
03-02-2015, 01:03 PM

He won...but he didn't get full DE tag value. They met in the middle.

58-4ever
03-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I've also heard rumblings (and suck me if Q) that Alice is ready to "shuffle some money" to get this done.

In58men
03-02-2015, 01:19 PM
This is troo though....pretty crazy how almost everybody on here even said that when we signed Smiff. Almost all of us said focus on Justin Houston first..then he goes out and plays out of his mind. If the Chiefs would have just signed Houston before the year, they would have saved tens of millions of dollars.

But what does Chiefsplanet know? We are just a bunch of guys living in our mom's basement

Yep. I've been saying it since day 1 that Alex Smith sucks. I got called every name in the book. People are blind.

RealSNR
03-02-2015, 01:22 PM
We're fucked :doh!:

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2015, 01:24 PM
I'd like to play Devil's Advocate.

Houston will never accumulate 22 sacks in a season again. He'll be lucky to accumulate 15 sacks in a season, something Mario Williams, who signed a $100 million dollar deal with Buffalo, has been unable to do and at age 30, is unlikely to do so.

Tamba Hali is a shell of his former self but his presence on the field allowed Houston to accumulate his sack total. Dee Ford has potential, but is unproven not only as an every down linebacker, but as a consistent 16 game force. Having said that, it's unlikely that he will draw as many double teams and looks as Hali, making it more difficult for Houston to get to the QB in 2015.

Houston is likely seeking a five year deal worth $100 million dollars (and $40+ guaranteed), making him 31 years old entering the final season of the deal.

If the Chiefs were to invest one of the first round picks received from the Houston deal in a rush backer (Vic Beasley?) in 2015, it's possible that they could save $15 million per towards the cap for at least three years and have essentially the non-2014 sack totals from Houston (8-11), plus an additional first round pick in 2016, which could be used towards a Quarterback.

Vic Beasley, 2016 first round pick, $15 million in cap space for a minimum of three years.

Again, just Devil's Advocate.

Jimmya
03-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Take Smiff's money and give it to Houston!!!!

mdchiefsfan
03-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Houston will never accumulate 22 sacks in a season again. He'll be lucky to accumulate 15 sacks in a season, something Mario Williams, who signed a $100 million dollar deal with Buffalo, has been unable to do and at age 30, is unlikely to do so.

Tamba Hali is a shell of his former self but his presence on the field allowed Houston to accumulate his sack total. Dee Ford has potential, but is unproven not only as an every down linebacker, but as a consistent 16 game force. Having said that, it's unlikely that he will draw as many double teams and looks as Hali, making it more difficult for Houston to get to the QB in 2015.

Houston is likely seeking a five year deal worth $100 million dollars (and $40+ guaranteed), making him 31 years old entering the final season of the deal.

If the Chiefs were to invest one of the first round picks received from the Houston deal in a rush backer (Vic Beasley?) in 2015, it's possible that they could save $15 million per towards the cap for at least three years and have essentially the non-2014 sack totals from Houston (8-11), plus an additional first round pick in 2016, which could be used towards a Quarterback.

Vic Beasley, 2016 first round pick, $15 million in cap space for a minimum of three years.

Again, just Devil's Advocate.

:popcorn:

Rausch
03-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Houston will never accumulate 22 sacks in a season again.

If he's able to stay healthy for the entire year he could easily bank 15 sacks vs. the LT's on our upcoming schedule.

We play some horrid QB's and some very piss poor O lines this year...

Chief Roundup
03-02-2015, 01:32 PM

Clay Matthews $13.2M avg.
JJ Watt $16M avg.

Being willing to pay $15 avg is where we have all been saying anyway. No real shocker.

FringeNC
03-02-2015, 01:45 PM
The Chiefs won't meet Houston's demands, yet some team out there IS going to meet his demands AND give up two first round draft picks?

If we overpaid for a FA, AND gave up two first rounds picks, this place would go into the mother of all meltdowns.

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2015, 01:55 PM
I think the reason the Chiefs designated him as Non-Exclusive is to have the market set his price.

It's pretty clear that he perceives his value to be higher than that of the Chiefs front office.

jd1020
03-02-2015, 01:56 PM
The Chiefs won't meet Houston's demands, yet some team out there IS going to meet his demands AND give up two first round draft picks?

If we overpaid for a FA, AND gave up two first rounds picks, this place would go into the mother of all meltdowns.

That depends entirely on the teams situation. If the Chiefs did it, then yes people should meltdown. What if the Patriots did it? 2 bottom 4 1st round picks for arguably the best defensive player in the league?

BigChiefFan
03-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I'd almost pull the trigger on a trade. If we can get two first rounders, plus keep our first rounders, that's potentially gaining an additional quality player. I like Houston, but I doubt we ever see that production again out of him again.

TEX
03-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Why does there have to be such a mess?

In58men
03-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Why does there have to be such a mess?

Because we are the Chiefs

RealSNR
03-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I think the reason the Chiefs designated him as Non-Exclusive is to have the market set his price.

It's pretty clear that he perceives his value to be higher than that of the Chiefs front office.

That's what's kind of infuriating to me.

Houston knows that without him, the Chiefs defense is a giant piece of dog crap. He's crucially important to the success and failure of this defense, even more than somebody like Dontari Poe. That's how good Houston is. He's doing that from the OLB position.

If the Chiefs are unsure about what he's worth, they're either really bad at bluffing or they're kind of stupid.

From what we've heard, the sides are still really far apart. To me, that says Houston believes he's worth JJ Watt money, and the Chiefs don't think he is. And while Houston isn't JJ Watt, he's right about his contract value. The trend in the NFL has been to make elite players the highest paid at their position even if they're not the very best. It's gone on more at least two decades, and Houston is absolutely not in the wrong to think that he can't take advantage of that.

What I'd like to see in the end is for the Chiefs to just admit they've been beaten on this one and give the man his fucking money. Let Hudson walk, make the cuts they need to, and try to replace the remaining holes with the 5000 draft picks they have this year.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Outstanding. Set a fire in our flesh. Bring us a QB with those two first rounders.

Justin Houston, I love you.

Abandon your posts!

KCUnited
03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Can't blame a guy for asking for the I'll never sniff a Super Bowl here premium.

In58men
03-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Outstanding. Set a fire in our flesh. Bring us a QB with those two first rounders.

Abandon your posts!

Theyll draft a 1st round FB and RT

Hammock Parties
03-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Theyll draft a 1st round FB and RT

Outstanding. Set a fire in our flesh. They will suck hard and bring us a 1st round QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-02-2015, 03:44 PM

Abandon your posts!

LMAO

Your wish is their MOAR FATTIES.

In58men
03-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Outstanding. Set a fire in our flesh. They will suck hard and bring us a 1st round QB.

I don't think our staff knows that we can take QBs in the first round. Somebody should tell them.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I don't think our staff entire, goddamned useless franchise knows that we can take QBs in the first round. Somebody should tell them.

F.X.D.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I don't think our staff knows that we can take QBs in the first round. Somebody should tell them.

I don't care about our staff. I only care that they suck at our jobs.

Enough people around this franchise keep sucking and eventually we will get a 1st round QB.

Set a fire in our flesh.

Out

Stand

Ing!

tecumseh
03-02-2015, 04:13 PM
The F.O. is populated by broken dix. Sign Houston,tag Hudson,fill holes in draft. If they can grab a value FA or two, that would be nice. But I gotta feel for the people who buy tickets to home games.

Nightfyre
03-02-2015, 04:36 PM
The F.O. is populated by broken dix. Sign Houston,tag Hudson,fill holes in draft. If they can grab a value FA or two, that would be nice. But I gotta feel for the people who buy tickets to home games.

This post is so concise and full of fail. What can I say, I like dumbassery abbreviated.

chiefzilla1501
03-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Let's not rule out that the Chiefs might also be letting Houston set the market. If Houston is asking for jj Watt money, it's possible teams are asking for clay Matthews money. But if Dorsey doesn't get this taken care of, then that's a major loss of credibility for him.

Tombstone RJ
03-02-2015, 05:43 PM
is there any team in the NFL that will give up 2 firsts and pay Houston that huge contract he wants?

Discuss Thrower
03-02-2015, 05:45 PM
is there any team in the NFL that will give up 2 firsts and pay Houston that huge contract he wants?

Jacksonville should and could do it with money to spare, Indianapolis could do it and have enough money to get a good RB or another WR with some haggling.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Oakland.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Jacksonville should and could do it with money to spare, Indianapolis could do it and have enough money to get a good RB or another WR with some haggling.

Jesus Christ they would be a fucking machine.

Easy 6
03-02-2015, 05:55 PM
That's what's kind of infuriating to me.

Houston knows that without him, the Chiefs defense is a giant piece of dog crap. He's crucially important to the success and failure of this defense, even more than somebody like Dontari Poe. That's how good Houston is. He's doing that from the OLB position.

If the Chiefs are unsure about what he's worth, they're either really bad at bluffing or they're kind of stupid.

From what we've heard, the sides are still really far apart. To me, that says Houston believes he's worth JJ Watt money, and the Chiefs don't think he is. And while Houston isn't JJ Watt, he's right about his contract value. The trend in the NFL has been to make elite players the highest paid at their position even if they're not the very best. It's gone on more at least two decades, and Houston is absolutely not in the wrong to think that he can't take advantage of that.

What I'd like to see in the end is for the Chiefs to just admit they've been beaten on this one and give the man his ****ing money. Let Hudson walk, make the cuts they need to, and try to replace the remaining holes with the 5000 draft picks they have this year.

Pretty much this, trying to replace his production with a guy here and a guy there is a losing formula.

MahiMike
03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
fug him. If he wants to be a dick, let him go. When will we learn? Once these guys get paid, their production falls off a cliff.

Just ask Bowe.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2015, 06:53 PM
fug him. If he wants to be a dick, let him go. When will we learn? Once these guys get paid, their production falls off a cliff.

Just ask Bowe.

ahahahahahahaha

BossChief
03-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Houston isn't trying to be the highest paid at his position.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Houston isn't trying to be the highest paid at his position.

link?

R8RFAN
03-02-2015, 07:41 PM
http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/39437/0fe2a0394366932.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/0fe2a0394366932)

Mr. Flopnuts
03-02-2015, 07:43 PM
link?

He's probably trying to be paid top 3 at DE.

BigRedChief
03-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Pretty much this, trying to replace his production with a guy here and a guy there is a losing formula.I agree, there will be no replacing Hoston. But if he wont play unless he gets JJ Watt money, I don't blame the Chiefs for not giving him that money.

JJ Watt got his money not just for performance on the field but also marketing. He's a known name to sell tickets and merchandise. But, he is also one helluva a disturbance on the field. Houston is too but not like JJ. His run game is not as good and he can't cover the tight end on slants or quick outs.

SAUTO
03-02-2015, 07:50 PM

I think he wants to be highest in nfl on the defensive side.

BossChief
03-02-2015, 07:54 PM
I think he wants to be highest in nfl on the defensive side.

I think so, too.

He wants every dime.

Even as a third round draft pick, he was the last draft pick to sign his rookie contract and that's because he wanted to be paid more than the slot pays players.

The guy hasn't even made 4m dollars in his career yet. Of course he wants the biggest pay day possible and there's no way he's gonna sign before guys like Suh put ink to paper.

SAUTO
03-02-2015, 07:55 PM
I think so, too.

He wants every dime.

Even as a third round draft pick, he was the last draft pick to sign his rookie contract and that's because he wanted to be paid more than the slot pays players.

The guy hasn't even made 4m dollars in his career yet. Of course he wants the biggest pay day possible and there's no way he's gonna sign before guys like Suh put ink to paper.

Yep I believe he wants to wait out suh and wants to get more.

BossChief
03-02-2015, 07:56 PM
I agree, there will be no replacing Hoston. But if he wont play unless he gets JJ Watt money, I don't blame the Chiefs for not giving him that money.

JJ Watt got his money not just for performance on the field but also marketing. He's a known name to sell tickets and merchandise. But, he is also one helluva a disturbance on the field. Houston is too but not like JJ. His run game is not as good and he can't cover the tight end on slants or quick outs.

Justin Houston is the highest rated run defender at his position according to PFF.

Pair that with 22 sacks and the argument can absolutely be made that he deserves to be the highest paid defender in football.

BossChief
03-02-2015, 07:56 PM

More

SAUTO
03-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Justin Houston is the highest rated run defender at his position according to PFF.

Pair that with 22 sacks and the argument can absolutely be made that he deserves to be the highest paid defender in football.

Yep.

He wants it all. He probably deserves it, too.

BigRedChief
03-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Pair that with 22 sacks and the argument can absolutely be made that he deserves to be the highest paid defender in football.And a legitamate case could be made for that. He is friggin awesome. But............shit happens. Injurys, decides smoking weed is better than hitting the weight room like he use to, take some plays off in practice and games. We see it all the time. They get paid and they don't maintain the level that they were before getting paid.

SAUTO
03-02-2015, 08:02 PM
And a legitamate case could be made for that. He is friggin awesome. But............shit happens. Injurys, decides smoking weed is better than hitting the weight room like he use to, take some plays off in practice and games. We see it all the time. They get paid and they don't maintain the level that they were before getting paid.

Don't ever sign anyone then...

BigRedChief
03-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Don't ever sign anyone then...Correct. In the NFL, under the cap era, you'd better be damn sure about your long term players that you sign or you don't just waste money, but, hurt your competitiveness in the future.

BossChief
03-02-2015, 08:06 PM
And a legitamate case could be made for that. He is friggin awesome. But............shit happens. Injurys, decides smoking weed is better than hitting the weight room like he use to, take some plays off in practice and games. We see it all the time. They get paid and they don't maintain the level that they were before getting paid.

That's not fair, man.

Justin has done NOTHING but improve his craft since we drafted him.

There are no indcators that he will stop producing once paid.

If he didn't get hurt in 2013, he would probably have back to back 20 sack seasons under his belt and there would be no question he deserves a Watt style payday.

BigRedChief
03-02-2015, 08:08 PM
That's not fair, man.

If he didn't get hurt in 2013, he would probably have back to back 20 sack seasons under his belt and there would be no question he deserves a Watt style payday.I wasn't saying he will be one of those. Just pointing out facts. These NFL long term contracts are a big gamble. You'd better be right.

BossChief
03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
And really....JJ Watts deal isn't that bad.

The second and sixth years are high on the cap but everything else is manageable.

Cap hits by year:

4.5 -2014-
22 -2015-
12.5 -2016-
12.5 -2017-
13 -2018-
13 -2019-
15 -2020-
17 -2021-

BossChief
03-02-2015, 08:15 PM
I'd give Houston that deal

Red Dawg
03-02-2015, 08:17 PM
You don't lose players like him ever. Only Watt is in his class. Pay him what he wants.

Pepe Silvia
03-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Send him to Green Bay and give us two first round picks.

Trevo_410
03-02-2015, 08:38 PM
id be ok with 2 extra first round draft picks... i just don't see houston putting the same numbers up again...

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-02-2015, 09:22 PM
That's not fair, man.

If he didn't get hurt in 2013, he would probably have back to back 20 sack seasons under his belt and there would be no question he deserves a Watt style payday.

And stats aren't everything.

RealSNR
03-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Send him to Green Bay and give us two first round picks.

You can have him for Aaron Rodgers. Straight up.

We'll even throw in Alex Smith if you act in the next 60 minutes!

What do you say?

jspchief
03-02-2015, 09:38 PM
The difference between LB tag and DE tag is 1.7 million. Would be a shame to lose Houston over that small amount.

Pepe Silvia
03-02-2015, 09:41 PM
You can have him for Aaron Rodgers. Straight up.

We'll even throw in Alex Smith if you act in the next 60 minutes!

What do you say?

See that's going to be a problem, I need more time, hows 2023 sound to you?

Strongside
03-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Fuck all of you toying with the idea of letting him go. This guy is the the best thing to happen to the Chiefs since Tony Gonzalez.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Fuck all of you toying with the idea of letting him go. This guy is the the best thing to happen to the Chiefs since Tony Gonzalez.

Remember how many playoff games Tony won? :LOL:

In58men
03-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Typical effortless offseason from The Factory of Sadness.

saphojunkie
03-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Trading Houston to Indy would be like getting two second rounders. They're gonna be in the Super Bowl next year and probably the year after also.

But hey - we could use those second rounders to trade for Kevin Kolb!

MotherfuckerJones
03-02-2015, 10:36 PM
**** all of you toying with the idea of letting him go. This guy is the the best thing to happen to the Chiefs since Tony Gonzalez.

It's fucking downright silly!

jspchief
03-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Trading Houston to Indy would be like getting two second rounders. They're gonna be in the Super Bowl next year and probably the year after also.

But hey - we could use those second rounders to trade for Kevin Kolb!
Would 2 second rounders get us Colin Kaepernick?

/Clark