PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs expected to release Bowe

OldSchool
03-05-2015, 10:25 AM
According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Chiefs are expected to cut Dwayne Bowe unless they can unload him in a trade.
A perennial underachiever (and a high-priced one at that), Bowe has finally worn out his welcome in KC. Finding the root of Bowe's struggles is like the chicken and egg argument: it's hard to tell if Bowe fared poorly because of Alex Smith or if it was the other way around. Either way, there's no way anyone is trading for Bowe at his current salary ($10.75 million cap hit in 2015). He'll hit free agency with a much weaker market than the one he entered with in 2013.

Well, I guess everyone saw this coming.

loochy
03-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks for not bitching about your awful QBs. Other than that, this:

http://memecrunch.com/meme/3SGH3/curly-bill-well-bye-meme/image.jpg

the Talking Can
03-05-2015, 10:29 AM
keep chopping

Eleazar
03-05-2015, 10:31 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/775454/curly-bill-bye-o.gif

TribalElder
03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Trade him to buffalo

saphojunkie
03-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Trade him to buffalo

For Lesean McCoy! Yeah? Hello? Anyone?

Iconic
03-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Q'd by a minute. RIP OP.

ptlyon
03-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Trade him to buffalo

How about for a buffalo

GloryDayz
03-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Bye you stone-hands motherfucker. Even if you figure out how to catch after you're gone, bye motherfucker.

TLO
03-08-2015, 07:45 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/05/Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

RealSNR
03-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Bye you stone-hands motherfucker. Even if you figure out how to catch after you're gone, bye motherfucker.

LMAO

The period blood will flow like the fucking Missouri River when Jeremy Maclin has a dropped pass.

Can't wait.

mdchiefsfan
03-08-2015, 07:50 PM
LMAO

The period blood will flow like the ****ing Missouri River when Jeremy Maclin has a dropped pass.

Can't wait.

Or catches the ball and sits down an inch in front of the first down marker

GloryDayz
03-08-2015, 08:11 PM
LMAO

The period blood will flow like the fucking Missouri River when Jeremy Maclin has a dropped pass.

Can't wait.

If it's almost every catch, you're right. In Bowe's case, it's definitely time for him to go.

Know this, MY DEAD GRANDMOTHER HAS AS MANY TDs AS STONE-HANDS DOES LAST YEAR.... And the fucker came || close (that close) to getting a TD but wasn't man enough to get it in.

Bowser
03-08-2015, 08:15 PM
If it's almost every catch, you're right. In Bowe's case, it's definitely time for him to go.

Know this, MY DEAD GRANDMOTHER HAS AS MANY TDs AS STONE-HANDS DOES LAST YEAR.... And the fucker came || close (that close) to getting a TD but wasn't man enough to get it in.

Remember that butt catch TD Fasano had? That was supposed to be a slant to Bowe. It was wide the hell open, too, but the pass just got deflected at the line. That's not to mention Alex missing a wide the fuck open Albert Wilson streaking down the middle of the field, either.

There was some next level shit at play with the Chiefs and their receivers last year when it came to scoring.

GloryDayz
03-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Remember that butt catch TD Fasano had? That was supposed to be a slant to Bowe. It was wide the hell open, too, but the pass just got deflected at the line. That's not to mention Alex missing a wide the fuck open Albert Wilson streaking down the middle of the field, either.

There was some next level shit at play with the Chiefs and their receivers last year when it came to scoring.

This || close...............

RealSNR
03-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Back off the roids, dude. You're ragin' out.

GloryDayz
03-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Back off the roids, dude. You're ragin' out.

I wish I had some roids....

But to be serious, my long-dead grandma has as many TD in 2014 as the Chiefs WRs... Yeah, it's that bad... The Chiefs want that fact buried, I intend to make sure they remember it and make Fat-Andy fix it.

RealSNR
03-08-2015, 08:43 PM

But to be serious, my long-dead grandma has as many TD in 2014 as the Chiefs WRs... Yeah, it's that bad... The Chiefs want that fact buried, I intend to make sure they remember it and make Fat-Andy fix it.

Question: How much do you think the no WR TDs thing was on the WRs?

Is it something like 60/40 WR/QB? 40/30/20/10 WR/QB/HC/OL?

Psyko Tek
03-08-2015, 08:45 PM

it goes back into the season before,
I am not sure how many games
but don't understate it

Chiefs wide receivers haven't caught a TD in a calendar year
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
December 8, 2014 2:28 pm ET

December 8, 2013: Never forget. December 8, 2013: Never forget. (Getty Images)

It's been a year since a Chiefs wide receiver caught a touchdown pass. Literally. Dec. 8, 2013, was the last time someone in a Kansas City uniform claiming to be a wideout found themselves in the end zone holding the football for a score.

In a 45-10 win over the Redskins that Sunday, Dwayne Bowe caught a 21-yard pass from Alex Smith to put the Chiefs up 17-0 and from there it's been all downhill.

Smith would throw four more passing touchdowns in 2013, hitting Jamaal Charles twice (once in the Washington game), Dexter McCluster once and Sean McGrath once.

This season Smith's thrown 14 touchdowns, none of which were to wide receivers.

think that is 19- 20 games?

BossChief
03-08-2015, 08:49 PM
They would be wise to designate Bowe as a June 1st cut and restructure Alex Smith.

Use Bowes money to sign draft picks and add a vet or 2 to round out the final roster.

Use Alex Smiths money to get us a linemen that can help solidify the OL.

GloryDayz
03-08-2015, 08:55 PM

I'd say 50/50 on the WRs, perhaps 60/40 (leaning towards the system). But at 50/50 they should of had at least a few.

As much as Capt. Checkdown wasn't looking for them, I'd say it was equally on them because they rarely were able to create separation.

Don't get me wrong, the system sucks, Andy sucks, Clark sucks, but in the end in 2015, the era of the untouchable WR, there's exactly no reason to not have some WR TDs.

And if it's not on the WR, it's time for those who are departing to to defend their honor with some honest talks with the media. That can be anything from, "how could we get open in 1.8973 seconds, with Fisher being gay, that's all the time AS had", or, "We have AS, he's so fucking scared because the cheerleaders are stronger than the OL we trotted out there, no wonder he shit his pants and was either shitting or on the ground before we made out first cut."

I get it.. But when the ball was near DB, he didn't make the plays Megetron or Dez make... And he was billed to be that kind of receiver.

And yes, AS can't hit a stone statue in-stride, maybe because he sucks, and under duress, but in the end, NO WR TDs...

GloryDayz
03-08-2015, 09:04 PM
it goes back into the season before,
I am not sure how many games
but don't understate it

It's been a year since a Chiefs wide receiver caught a touchdown pass. Literally. Dec. 8, 2013, was the last time someone in a Kansas City uniform claiming to be a wideout found themselves in the end zone holding the football for a score.

In a 45-10 win over the Redskins that Sunday, Dwayne Bowe caught a 21-yard pass from Alex Smith to put the Chiefs up 17-0 and from there it's been all downhill.

Smith would throw four more passing touchdowns in 2013, hitting Jamaal Charles twice (once in the Washington game), Dexter McCluster once and Sean McGrath once.

This season Smith's thrown 14 touchdowns, none of which were to wide receivers.

think that is 19- 20 games?

In 2015 it's not only disgusting, it should get the owner fired.

My GOD, it's 2015, it's ALL about the WR and QB who can't be looked at too hard, much less touched. It's not even like they're real players 'n shit..

And for the Chiefs to refuse to talk about it like 1-10th the crisis it is is just a complete abdication of their responsibility to the fans.

Bowe's,and all the WR's, lockers should have been empty when they got to the locker room after the last game. If not empty, they lockers should have been in a different room. And let the union complain, the press and "optics" of the whole deal would play into the hands of the fans and team.

And if that's wrong, perhaps the WRs might want to get honest with what was really wrong. We all know Fisher was a swinging door, but there were many other problems that not even God can't fix. But the sooner it get discussed in the open, the sooner it can be fixed.

MotherfuckerJones
03-08-2015, 09:14 PM
This is why I try, albeit sometime I bitch, to not freak out on this team in the offseason. None of us know what they're trying to do. This isn't th cluster fuck regime that Pioli brought here. I have faith in Reid and Dorsey. Can't crap on them after only 2 seasons. Especially inning 20 games in 2 years after winning what 23 over Pioli's entire span. Have to let this team draft and develop some guys. I don't like Smith as much as the next guy but he didn't exactly have a great WR core here. Let this play out.

chiefzilla1501
03-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Alex Smith led one of the most explosive offenses in the second half of 2013 with mostly the same talent at receiver. Arguably BETTER (since they added Kelce). He was awesome at finding Bowe against Indy in the playoffs. Keep in mind this was behind an OL mostly of Stephenson-Allen-Hudson-Schwartz-Fisher.

I still believe most of the problems at WR have a lot more to do with Alex Smith , even though the WR talent obviously could use improvement.

RealSNR
03-08-2015, 09:47 PM
In 2015 it's not only disgusting, it should get the owner fired.

My GOD, it's 2015, it's ALL about the WR and QB who can't be looked at too hard, much less touched. It's not even like they're real players 'n shit..

And for the Chiefs to refuse to talk about it like 1-10th the crisis it is is just a complete abdication of their responsibility to the fans.

Bowe's,and all the WR's, lockers should have been empty when they got to the locker room after the last game. If not empty, they lockers should have been in a different room. And let the union complain, the press and "optics" of the whole deal would play into the hands of the fans and team.

And if that's wrong, perhaps the WRs might want to get honest with what was really wrong. We all know Fisher was a swinging door, but there were many other problems that not even God can't fix. But the sooner it get discussed in the open, the sooner it can be fixed.
See, you're putting way too much of that blame on the WRs.

They have to get targets in that part of the field. They have to have the ball delivered on time. The coach needs to run the right plays and put them in good positions. Alex needs to not be a scared shit pants. He also needs more than .3 seconds to get rid of the ball after it's snapped.

Equal blame needs to go around. You can't ignore Alex's trend throughout his career of being scared of his own WRs in this mess. It is balls ass retarded to think that the same WR crew that caught multiple TDs in 2013 is as responsible for that embarassing statistic as you say they are. What changed from last year to this year? Nothing. Dexter McFuckstick left, and Donnie Avery was his usual injured gimpy flimsy shitty self. That's not any kind of significant loss.

TEX
03-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Alex Smith led one of the most explosive offenses in the second half of 2013 with mostly the same talent at receiver. Arguably BETTER (since they added Kelce). He was awesome at finding Bowe against Indy in the playoffs. Keep in mind this was behind an OL mostly of Stephenson-Allen-Hudson-Schwartz-Fisher.

I still believe most of the problems at WR have a lot more to do with Alex Smith , even though the WR talent obviously could use improvement.

Of course you do...Ya think just maybe the piss poor OL had "something" to do with it???

chiefzilla1501
03-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Of course you do...Ya think just maybe the piss poor OL had "something" to do with it???

Stephenson-Allen-Hudson-Schwartz-Fisher
That was our OL when the Chiefs were firing on all cylinders in 2013.

Albert-Allen-Hudson-Asamoah-Fisher
That was the OL when Alex Smith looked really bad even though the Chiefs were 9-0

Alex Smith plays like a pussy when his defense is playing lights out. He plays aggressive when his defense can't be trusted. Of course the OL plays some hand in the problems. But not as much as Alex Smith's complete failure to play more aggressive. In fact, Smith playing aggressive would help him get rid of the ball FASTER.

jd1020
03-08-2015, 10:11 PM

This shit has always irked me. If you are going to make a point about the last time a WR on the Chiefs scored a TD get it fucking right.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Can't WAIT to see Smith hit Maclin in those tight windows an-

Oh.

Ragged Robin
03-08-2015, 10:59 PM
This shit has always irked me. If you are going to make a point about the last time a WR on the Chiefs scored a TD get it ****ing right.

didn't both avery and bowe get a TD against the colts in the playoffs?

chiefzilla1501
03-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Maybe I'm looking into this too much, but here is an option and maybe it's what the Chiefs are doing.

Tell Bowe he could get cut or traded. Force his agent to understand Bowe's market. What's the market for a 31 year old receiver who hasn't been great the past few years? The Chiefs should then beat that best offer, as long as it's reasonable.

Does a few things... allows you to keep Bowe at a really nice discount. And frees up money right away versus waiting for June 1. Would people, for example, be okay with signing Bowe for $5-7M a year?

DaneMcCloud
03-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Does a few things... allows you to keep Bowe at a really nice discount. And frees up money right away versus waiting for June 1. Would people, for example, be okay with signing Bowe for $5-7M a year?

$4 million per, no guaranteed money, two years.

jd1020
03-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Maybe I'm looking into this too much, but here is an option and maybe it's what the Chiefs are doing.

Tell Bowe he could get cut or traded. Force his agent to understand Bowe's market. What's the market for a 31 year old receiver who hasn't been great the past few years? The Chiefs should then beat that best offer, as long as it's reasonable.

So you are saying the Chiefs should do what they did 4 days ago? THE INSIGHT!!!

jd1020
03-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Bowe will get more than $4M a year on the open market.

Seriously?

A never was like Danny Amendola got $5.7M/yr.

DaneMcCloud
03-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Bowe will get more than $4M a year on the open market.

Seriously?

A never was like Danny Amendola got $5.7M/yr.

Then let him

dls6501
03-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Bowe is appreciated by me. Sad to see him go. Thanks for some good seasons Dwayne. Sorry we wasted your prime with trash quarterbacks. Hope you catch on somewhere that has a good quarterback for once, and you can get a ring.

chiefzilla1501
03-08-2015, 11:15 PM
So you are saying the Chiefs should do what they did 4 days ago? THE INSIGHT!!!

WTF are you talking about?

The talk right now is that the Chiefs are trying to cut Bowe. I'm introducing the idea of signing him at a discount to save a ton of money, while still keeping him on the team.

chiefzilla1501
03-08-2015, 11:17 PM
$4 million per, no guaranteed money, two years.

I'm just spitballing #'s. No idea what his worth would be. I do think to keep Bowe, you'd have to overpay because no way would he come back unless the Chiefs gave him more money than the market.

threebag
03-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Could always throw in the key to grandmas medicine cabinet

DaneMcCloud
03-09-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm just spitballing #'s. No idea what his worth would be. I do think to keep Bowe, you'd have to overpay because no way would he come back unless the Chiefs gave him more money than the market.

I have no ill will towards Bowe but I wouldn't care if he moved on.

BlackOp
03-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Bowe is a square peg in Reid's offense..they only signed him as they knew they had no other choice...they were 2-14 with no rock-star WR in the draft. They had to start somewhere... and it got KC to 11-5. Andy got his WR today.

GloryDayz
03-09-2015, 05:06 AM
See, you're putting way too much of that blame on the WRs.

They have to get targets in that part of the field. They have to have the ball delivered on time. The coach needs to run the right plays and put them in good positions. Alex needs to not be a scared shit pants. He also needs more than .3 seconds to get rid of the ball after it's snapped.

Equal blame needs to go around. You can't ignore Alex's trend throughout his career of being scared of his own WRs in this mess. It is balls ass retarded to think that the same WR crew that caught multiple TDs in 2013 is as responsible for that embarassing statistic as you say they are. What changed from last year to this year? Nothing. Dexter McFuckstick left, and Donnie Avery was his usual injured gimpy flimsy shitty self. That's not any kind of significant loss.
Well it did say 50/50. But I think you're right too. Alex can't throw as accurately as many other QBs (but will always get a pass because of the O-line), the O-line does suck, and the coach is too hamstrung to fix it. And too nice too. But make no mistake, the admiral (Clark) owns this, and as long as he's silent don't expect much change.

But I like what I'm seeing in terms of player moves, I hope Fat-Andy doesn't fuck it up. But so far I see little in terms of the Oline getting better, so Alex will prolly play that card again.

jonzie04
03-09-2015, 05:31 AM
i read on overthecap we could actually save more money by him taking a pay cut vs him leaving. i'd love for him to stay at the right price. $4-5m a year. He should do much better not having to play the best cb all the time. He and Maclin would make for a very respectable 1-2 in my eyes. I doubt Bowes willing to take that big of a pay cut, though the guys at otc dont think he'll be able to get more than 4m if he hits the market. who knows.

Sassy Squatch
03-09-2015, 06:23 AM
Bowe isn't taking a pay cut... where did this even come from?

TEX
03-09-2015, 06:41 AM
i read on overthecap we could actually save more money by him taking a pay cut vs him leaving. i'd love for him to stay at the right price. $4-5m a year. He should do much better not having to play the best cb all the time. He and Maclin would make for a very respectable 1-2 in my eyes. I doubt Bowes willing to take that big of a pay cut, though the guys at otc dont think he'll be able to get more than 4m if he hits the market. who knows.

I agree. He might not earn more on the free market than what KC might offer in terms of a pay cut. But Bowe might feel otherwise and / or disrespected by being asked to take one.

TEX
03-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Well it did say 50/50. But I think you're right too. Alex can't throw as accurately as many other QBs (but will always get a pass because of the O-line), the O-line does suck, and the coach is too hamstrung to fix it. And too nice too. But make no mistake, the admiral (Clark) owns this, and as long as he's silent don't expect much change.

But I like what I'm seeing in terms of player moves, I hope Fat-Andy doesn't **** it up. But so far I see little in terms of the Oline getting better, so Alex will prolly play that card again.

Its a good card to play...We all saw in 2013, with basically the same WR's (less Kelce), the offense was lights out after the bye week. Also was on fire in the playoff loss to Colts. That OL was better than the one we have now. I find it hard to believe they wont try and improve it this season.

Meatloaf
03-09-2015, 08:54 AM
So, does anyone know if Bowe's actually been released yet? Wondering if he'd redo his deal for MUCH less and continue to be a part of this team? Anything new on this? Thanks.

Sure-Oz
03-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Bowe is following the Patriots on Twitter now fwiw

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 11:09 AM
So, does anyone know if Bowe's actually been released yet? Wondering if he'd redo his deal for MUCH less and continue to be a part of this team? Anything new on this? Thanks.

I imagine we would know if he was released

maybe someone is interested in trading for him if he would take a lesser contract

If he is willing to take a lesser contract then maybe the chiefs will just keep him.

Maclin
Bowe
Albert Wilson
DaT
Draft pick

ChiefsChoke010414
03-09-2015, 11:31 AM
What if he goes to Indy or NE and makes the Pro Bowl. Would be funny.

FringeNC
03-09-2015, 11:34 AM

Why wouldn't he? It's not as if he's going to sign a big contract if released.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 11:36 AM
What if he goes to Indy or NE and makes the Pro Bowl. Would be funny.

you will have several Chiefs' fan standing right there beside you cheering for just such a thing to happen.

Do you feel dirty being on the same side as Chiefs' fans?

DaneMcCloud
03-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Bowe will absolutely have to take a pay cut, whether it's with the Chiefs or another NFL team.

No team is going to pay him anywhere near $14 million dollars in 2015.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Why wouldn't he? It's not as if he's going to sign a big contract if released.

Happens all the time

Players would rather get less money with a new team than take a pay cut with their existing team.

it's an ego thing

jd1020
03-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Bowe will absolutely have to take a pay cut, whether it's with the Chiefs or another NFL team.

You mean $11M.

ChiefsChoke010414
03-09-2015, 11:38 AM
you will have several Chiefs' fan standing right there beside you cheering for just such a thing to happen.

Huh? I am a Chiefs fan (sadly). Been one since 1993 (ironically the last season we won shit).

In any case, many people here have argued that Smith is too safe and doesn't throw to Bowe or anyone else unless said receiver is 5 yards open. A QB like Luck, Brady or Rivers can throw balls into tight windows and make someone like Bowe look better than he really is at this stage in his career.

Bowe is better off going somewhere else.

Dave Lane
03-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Huh? I am a Chiefs fan (sadly). Been one since 1993 (ironically the last season we won shit).

In any case, many people here have argued that Smith is too safe and doesn't throw to Bowe or anyone else unless said receiver is 5 yards open. A QB like Luck, Brady or Rivers can throw balls into tight windows and make someone like Bowe look better than he really is at this stage in his career.

Bowe is better off going somewhere else.

Word.

petegz28
03-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Come on, Dane! You know #1 WR's with 0 TD's in a season are a sought after commodity.

keg in kc
03-09-2015, 11:41 AM
In any case, many people here have argued that Smith is too safe and doesn't throw to Bowe or anyone else unless said receiver is 5 yards open. A QB like Luck, Brady or Rivers can throw balls into tight windows and make someone like Bowe look better than he really is at this stage in his career. That's not making Bowe better than he really is. That's helping Bowe be as good as he actually could be.

The problem here is that we see things like throwing receivers open as some kind of special magic that only other teams get to enjoy. And that goes back more years than Alex Smith has been here.

ChiefsChoke010414
03-09-2015, 11:47 AM
That's not making Bowe better than he really is. That's helping Bowe be as good as he actually could be.

The problem here is that we see things like throwing receivers open as some kind of special magic that only other teams get to enjoy. And that goes back more years than Alex Smith has been here.

The word "separation" was every Chiefs fan's favorite word last year. However, what people need to realize is that top QB's don't need a lot of "separation".

I've always known that, but watching Rodgers and Luck this past year in the playoffs make throws that Smith would never dare throw, even if he had 10 seconds in the pocket, made me have an epiphany.

MahiMike
03-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I guess we'll know next year w/Maclin. If Maclin tanks, it's gotta be Alex. But I would be shocked if that happened.

MahiMike
03-09-2015, 11:58 AM
They're talking on 610 about Bowe staying for less $.

Please no.

jd1020
03-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Please no.

:spock:

DaneMcCloud
03-09-2015, 12:01 PM

Please no.

Bowe at $4 million per would be awesome.

Bowe at anything above $6 million would not.

The Franchise
03-09-2015, 12:02 PM

Please no.

You're fucking beyond stupid.

The Franchise
03-09-2015, 12:03 PM

I'd bring him down to $5 million and be happy with it.

Maclin
Bowe
Wilson
Rookie
Rogers

petegz28
03-09-2015, 12:04 PM
I guess we'll know next year w/Maclin. If Maclin tanks, it's gotta be Alex. But I would be shocked if that happened.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J0mJZB2v-og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DenverChief
03-09-2015, 12:06 PM
I'd bring him down to $5 million and be happy with it.

Maclin
Bowe
Wilson
Rookie
Rogers

You are forgetting Avant

jd1020
03-09-2015, 12:06 PM
You are forgetting Avant

No he's not.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2015, 12:09 PM

This

Strongside
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM
If we can keep Bowe for less money, and still sign Maclin, that would be badass.

The Franchise
03-09-2015, 12:13 PM
If Bowe takes a paycut than it's perfect. Bowe and Maclin will make it so that other teams can't double cover them both. Wilson will excel in the slot because of it.

Sure-Oz
03-09-2015, 12:18 PM
If bowe takes a pay cut I'm a for him being the #2 or 3

MahiMike
03-09-2015, 12:21 PM
You're ****ing beyond stupid.

Bowe is the stupid one. I don't want dumb guys on our team. When it comes down to it, stupid trumps talent. That's one of Bowe's issues.

I don't want him at minimum pay.

Discuss Thrower
03-09-2015, 12:22 PM
If the Chiefs get Maclin and convince Bowe to a paycut and draft a 1st or 2nd day WR then Avant is irrelevant.

Cmd'r&Chief
03-09-2015, 12:24 PM
You are forgetting Avant

No he's not.

The Chiefs are reportedly interested in re-signing free agent WR Jason Avant.
Avant joined the Chiefs last November after being cut loose by the Panthers, catching 13 passes for 152 yards over five games. Avant is a lead-footed as they come, but he could provide cheap depth for one of the league's worst wide receiver corps. Mar 7 - 12:54 PM
Source: Chiefs Digest

DaneMcCloud
03-09-2015, 12:24 PM
If the Chiefs get Maclin and convince Bowe to a paycut and draft a 1st or 2nd day WR then Avant is irrelevant.

Avant's already irrelevant.

Blech.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Bowe is the stupid one. I don't want dumb guys on our team. When it comes down to it, stupid trumps talent. That's one of Bowe's issues.

I don't want him at minimum pay.Dumb

He stupidly caught 15 TDs in his 4th season from fucking Matt Cassel.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Dumb

He stupidly caught 15 TDs in his 4th season from ****ing Matt Cassel.

Cassel,Huard etc would just lock on to Bowe and let him do whatever he was going to do, and then throw him the ball.

Reid/Smith expect Bowe to run the right route and be in the right place at the right time. It's how NFL offenses are suppose to be run. It's not one of Bowe's strengths.

Even with Cassel etc Bowe would not be on the same page. Just about every game Bowe with cut in while the ball was thrown out etc. People just blamed Cassel.

Brain is not Bowe's strong suit.

I would still take Bowe at a lesser salary, but i'm not sure Reid would.

Warpaint69
03-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Cassel,Huard etc would just lock on to Bowe and let him do whatever he was going to do, and then throw him the ball.

Reid/Smith expect Bowe to run the right route and be in the right place at the right time. It's how NFL offenses are suppose to be run. It's not one of Bowe's strengths.

Even with Casset etc Bowe would not be on the same page. Just about ever game Bowe with cut in while the ball was thrown out etc. People just blamed Cassel.

Brain is not Bowe's strong suit.

I would still take Bowe at a lesser salary, but i'm not sure Reid would.

You've all clearly forgotten the Cassel to Bowe WR screen 20 times a game.

chiefzilla1501
03-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I don't agree. A nice possession option who would be dirt cheap. Can play on possession downs.

Bowe at 1 as your YAC guy
Maclin at 2 as your vertical guy
Wilson in the slot
DAT as your utility option
Avant as your possession guy

Then throw in kelce, Harris, and jamaal as extra options

That is a very good receiver corps. Yes, I get that bowe and maclin at 1 or 2 should flip, but it hardly matters since they're two very different receivers. Bowe may not be a top tier 1 but he's still going to be very good pairing with someone else.

Sassy Squatch
03-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Bowe staying at a lower rate. That's cool.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 12:54 PM
You've all clearly forgotten the Cassel to Bowe WR screen 20 times a game.
what would a screen pass have to do it?

In fact, a screen pass is a way to get a receiver the ball without them running a great route. Just get the athlete a ball and let them create.

WCO is about timing and have the QB and WR adjusting the routes to the defense. They need to be on the same page and make the same decisions.

Its part of the reason why Smith didn't throw people open. He was waiting to see what the WR was going to do BEFORE throwing the ball.

trust ... Smith had no reason to trust our WRs

Hopefully he will be much better with more trustworthy WRs.

*cross fingers*

petegz28
03-09-2015, 12:57 PM
what would a screen pass have to do it?

In fact, a screen pass is a way to get a receiver the ball without them running a great route. Just get the athlete a ball and let them create.

WCO is about timing and have the QB and WR adjusting the routes to the defense. They need to be on the same page and make the same decisions.

Its part of the reason why Smith didn't throw people open. He was waiting to see what the WR was going to do BEFORE throwing the ball.

trust ... Smith had no reason to trust our WRs

Hopefully he will be much better with more trustworthy WRs.

*cross fingers*

Trent Green said the exact same thing about his 1st year here. He didn't trust the WR's to run their routes and was waiting too long because he was making sure they were before he threw the ball.

Odd part is this was Smith's 2nd year. You'd think he'd have more trust in our WR's but then again, an open Chiefs WR is like a winning powerball ticket. Someone eventually wins but it isn't often and wastes a lot of your money in the meantime.

ping2000
03-09-2015, 01:09 PM
He'll agree to a pay cut and then get caught smoking weed. This is the Chiefs, remember?

GloryDayz
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
If Bowe takes a paycut than it's perfect. Bowe and Maclin will make it so that other teams can't double cover them both. Wilson will excel in the slot because of it.

Is JM bringing some stickum with him or something? If not, DB still has to learn how to actually catch a ball and hold on to it. And if he learns how to catch with his hands away from his body, that'd be a bonus too.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Trent Green said the exact same thing about his 1st year here. He didn't trust the WR's to run their routes and was waiting too long because he was making sure they were before he threw the ball.

Odd part is this was Smith's 2nd year. You'd think he'd have more trust in our WR's but then again, an open Chiefs WR is like a winning powerball ticket. Someone eventually wins but it isn't often and wastes a lot of your money in the meantime.not if our WRs didn't improve

we didn't add anyone and Avery got hurt

IF .............. Bowe struggles with adjusting to the defenses then how was Smith supposed to gain any trust? Was there trust to gain if our WRs didn't do that right stuff or catch the ball?

BlackOp
03-09-2015, 01:15 PM
If Bowe staying means he'll count the same against the cap if he's cut...then its a great move. I would rather Reid tailor the WRs to fit his WCO though....I have a hunch they were going to draft Beckham (Giants not Green) and thought Benjamin wasn't the right fit.

They need route runners..not jump-ball artists.

TLO
03-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Bowe can take Donnie Avery's money if he wants it.

petegz28
03-09-2015, 01:18 PM
not if our WRs didn't improve

we didn't add anyone and Avery got hurt

IF .............. Bowe struggles with adjusting to the defenses then how was Smith supposed to gain any trust? Was there trust to gain if our WRs didn't do that right stuff or catch the ball?

Well, I have thought for a couple seasons now that Bowe is not the best route runner. In fact I have seen too many post-game breakdowns of him running poor routes.

ViperVisor
03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Odd part is this was Smith's 2nd year. You'd think he'd have more trust in our WR's but then again, an open Chiefs WR is like a winning powerball ticket. Someone eventually wins but it isn't often and wastes a lot of your money in the meantime.

Bowe had his most efficient year in 2014. The practice and experience made a difference. Smith looked for him and connected on a good amount of conversions.

Mav
03-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Id say 80 alex Smith flat out not trusting the oline to hold and receivers to get open and his inability to force a pass, and 20 percent receivers suck.

petegz28
03-09-2015, 01:21 PM

That's a fair question but something fans tend to lose sight of is we have a view during the play that Smith does not. We see it from the camera looking down on the field. Smith on the other hand had pass rushers, more times than not, in his face so as he has to scramble he may not see the guy open that we see, especially if he has to scramble to the opposite side of the field.

Not and excuse but something people have to keep in mind.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Well, I have thought for a couple seasons now that Bowe is not the best route runner. In fact I have seen too many post-game breakdowns of him running poor routes.

I still think Bowe can help a team win, just don't know if a WCO is a fit for him at all. He would fit more in a play-action pass offense with a QB that scrambles a lot. That would give Bowe time to do his thing and the QB to find him wherever he goes.

Rasputin
03-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Zero TD catches for any WR to play for Kansas City 2014 season of 16 games.

Fucking bull shit. A pass happy coach with a team that can't produce one touchdown catch from a WR.

I liked Duane Bowe but it's time to move on. Yet we still will have Alex Smith & wont be drafting a first round quarterback. So next season will be meh again.

petegz28
03-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Bowe had his most efficient year in 2014. The practice and experience made a difference. Smith looked for him and connected on a good amount of conversions.

So efficient he never got in the endzone. The fact is, Bowe scares absolutely no defenses in this league. Maybe that changes for him on another team but for the last several years he has not scared anyone.

petegz28
03-09-2015, 01:38 PM
I still think Bowe can help a team win, just don't know if a WCO is a fit for him at all. He would fit more in a play-action pass offense with a QB that scrambles a lot. That would give Bowe time to do his thing and the QB to find him wherever he goes.

Watch Bowe run his crossing routes. When he makes his cut he doesn't run a sharp, straight line across the field. He runs a line that fades towards the endzone. This allows defenders to make a play on the ball. Also look at his patented "catch-and fall backwards" move. Because he doesn't attack the ball, particularly in the endzone, he again, allows the defender to make a play on the ball. We saw it in the Denver game this year where at the end of the game, Smith threw to him and instead of him attacking the ball, he faded backwards anticipating the catch and guess what? The defender jumped in front of him and knocked down the pass.

He is a big body with okay hands. The only clutch play I can remember him making cost us Andrew Luck. :harumph:

Aspengc8
03-09-2015, 01:55 PM

WCO is a antiquated term; every NFL team runs WCO passing concepts. I think Bowe can help the Chiefs, just needs to take a pay cut so we can get some help around him.

Watch Bowe run his crossing routes. When he makes his cut he doesn't run a sharp, straight line across the field. He runs a line that fades towards the endzone.

Do you have a clip or pic showing this? Just curious to see if it is indeed sloppy or if he was just running a deep cross trying to stay over top of shorter zones or settle in a window.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 02:01 PM
WCO is a antiquated term; every NFL team runs WCO passing concepts. I think Bowe can help the Chiefs, just needs to take a pay cut so we can get some help around him.

I think Reid wants to run more of a true WCO offense.

That means the QB and WR come to the LOS and reid the defense and make adjustments instead of audibles. The QB throws to a spot and the WR must be there. The WR must disguise their routes so that the defense doesn't read it and beat them to the spot.

WCO can be really ugly if the timing is off.

Aspengc8
03-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I think Reid wants to run more of a true WCO offense.

That means the QB and WR come to the LOS and reid the defense and make adjustments instead of audibles. The QB throws to a spot and the WR must be there. The WR must disguise their routes so that the defense doesn't read it and beat them to the spot.

WCO can be really ugly if the timing is off.

Thats not really what WCO is about, my friend. WCO is more of a philosophy that uses short, timed passes to spread the defense out horizontally (swings, slants, flats, drags/crosses). These acted almost as 'short hand-offs', instead of actually running the ball. Once the defense spreads out, you go vertical. There's no adjustments at the line, the routes are all complimentary of each other. I understand what your saying about the timing for the passing, but its like that for ANY passing concept, not just WCO. Tampa/cover 2 pretty much ruined WCO, or at least made you go vertical if you wanted to score. There are also several variations of WCO out there, with the version most people think of as Walsh's but Air Coryell was popular as well.

But anyway, this should not be the Chiefs gameplan. True WCO is a pass to open the run offense, and with Charles/Davis/Sherman, we should be running way more power & play action based offense.

edit: Laz I dont know if you geek out over this shit like I do, but if you have time, this is SOLID GOLD!!

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/passing-game/Air-Coryell-Offense.pdf

petegz28
03-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Do you have a clip or pic showing this? Just curious to see if it is indeed sloppy or if he was just running a deep cross trying to stay over top of shorter zones or settle in a window.

Wish I did. I just remember seeing it several times throughout the season and watching some post game breakdowns.

BlackOp
03-09-2015, 02:30 PM
There's no adjustments at the line, the routes are all complimentary of each other.

That's why Bowe is a bad fit.....that and he looks REALLY slow out there. If he had great hands that would one thing...but he isn't consistent enough to offset his lack of speed.

He is just a bad match with how Smith rolls...its why they opened the vault for Maclin. Keeping Bowe at this point is just a pragmatic maneuver. If the money is similar to just out right cutting him....if he didn't carry the cap hit, KC would release him.

Meatloaf
03-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I know you people are badly wanting my opinion of D Bowe, so I'll provide it here. I think he's DONE. He's slow but more than that, he lacks the time-honored "want to". I distinctly remember a ball Alex threw him that was at his knees. Bowe didn't as much as even bend down in an effort to snag it. Right then, I came to the fine and unquestionable opinion (is there such a thing?), that he was DONE.

I think we're better off without him....even if were at league minimum.

There you have it. Kudos may be proffered after this post. Thanks in advance.

ChiefsChoke010414
03-09-2015, 02:36 PM

****ing bull shit. A pass happy coach with a team that can't produce one touchdown catch from a WR.

I liked Duane Bowe but it's time to move on. Yet we still will have Alex Smith & wont be drafting a first round quarterback. So next season will be meh again.

A record that can only be matched. Will never be broken.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2015, 02:44 PM

Fucking bull shit. A pass happy coach with a team that can't produce one touchdown catch from a WR.

I liked Duane Bowe but it's time to move on. Yet we still will have Alex Smith & wont be drafting a first round quarterback. So next season will be meh again.Heh

Sandy Vagina
03-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Would be okay to keep him another year at 4-5 mil, but I agree with others that his focus and effort are lacking. Sloppy routes and poor separation lead to a lot of knockaways (drops that don't technically count as drops). No problem saying goodbye though.

Aspengc8
03-09-2015, 02:54 PM
That's why Bowe is a bad fit.....that and he looks REALLY slow out there. If he had great hands that would one thing...but he isn't consistent enough to offset his lack of speed.

He is just a bad match with how Smith rolls...its why they opened the vault for Maclin. Keeping Bowe at this point is just a pragmatic maneuver. If the money is similar to just out right cutting him....if he didn't carry the cap hit, KC would release him.

I'm not convinced he is a bad fit. From all the A22 breakdown we did, he was plenty open and Alex would not look his way, or just mis-read it.

JakeLV
03-09-2015, 03:00 PM
I'm not convinced he is a bad fit. From all the A22 breakdown we did, he was plenty open and Alex would not look his way, or just mis-read it.

Link to the breakdown?

Sorter
03-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Link to the breakdown?

Are you a 49ers fan?

FRCDFED
03-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Any updates on the Bowe situation?

Jim Lahey
03-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Supposedly Bowe followed the Patriots on Twitter then unfollowed soon after.

Not that it means jack shit..just worth throwin out there.

tredadda
03-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Personally I would rather just cut Bowe and draft DGB. DGB will be a better receiver and cost less than Bowe.

Meatloaf
03-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Personally I would rather just cut Bowe and draft DGB. DGB will be a better receiver and cost less than Bowe.

DGB scares the peewadins outa me.......and I like having peewadins.

MotherfuckerJones
03-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Supposedly Bowe followed the Patriots on Twitter then unfollowed soon after.

Not that it means jack shit..just worth throwin out there.

I'm sure he follows good kush on Twitter also

tredadda
03-09-2015, 04:11 PM
DGB scares the peewadins outa me.......and I like having peewadins.

ROFL

srvy
03-09-2015, 04:26 PM
WTF are you talking about?

The talk right now is that the Chiefs are trying to cut Bowe. I'm introducing the idea of signing him at a discount to save a ton of money, while still keeping him on the team.

Just cut him loose and be done with it He got payed and got lazy he is 31 years old and has declined at a rapid pace over 3 years. No one in the NFL fears the name on the back of his jersey. Let him go on to another team I trust Reid to know if he is got some in the tank or done. Many of you remind me of my wife when we trade or sell a car. I hand over the keys to the salesman or buyer and the tears start squirting. Yet she is the one that wanted the bright shiny new one. Maybe after all these years a new scenery and coaches can teach the man how to get both feet in bounds.

Reerun_KC
03-09-2015, 04:28 PM

Every year will be Meh with Reid.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Thats not really what WCO is about, my friend. WCO is more of a philosophy that uses short, timed passes to spread the defense out horizontally (swings, slants, flats, drags/crosses). These acted almost as 'short hand-offs', instead of actually running the ball. Once the defense spreads out, you go vertical. There's no adjustments at the line, the routes are all complimentary of each other. I understand what your saying about the timing for the passing, but its like that for ANY passing concept, not just WCO. Tampa/cover 2 pretty much ruined WCO, or at least made you go vertical if you wanted to score. There are also several variations of WCO out there, with the version most people think of as Walsh's but Air Coryell was popular as well.

But anyway, this should not be the Chiefs gameplan. True WCO is a pass to open the run offense, and with Charles/Davis/Sherman, we should be running way more power & play action based offense.

edit: Laz I dont know if you geek out over this shit like I do, but if you have time, this is SOLID GOLD!!

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/passing-game/Air-Coryell-Offense.pdfother than the part of about adjusting their route, nothing you said is really contrary to what i said

It would be interesting to know whether Reid's offense has LoS adjustments

example:

If defense is inside tech,zone, wr runs route 1
If defense is outside tech,zone, wr runs route 2
If safety is over the top,Man, wr runs route 3
etc .......Smith acknowledges 49ers can’t earn Ph.D in WCO until training camp
Posted on July 11, 2011 at 9:35 am by Eric Branch

The 49ers have offensive playbooks, but that doesn’t give them the whole story.

Alex Smith acknowledged Friday that he can give his teammates an introductory class on the Niners’ West Coast offense, but the graduate-level work will have to wait until training camp.

So what’s missing? Smith said the playbook provides them with terminology, formations and motions, but the fine details — and endless variables — aren’t spelled out.

Take, for example, the wide receiver position. Wideouts adjust their releases and routes at the line of scrimmage based on the coverage technique they’re receiving from a cornerback and what a defense is showing.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/07/11/smith-acknowledges-49ers-cant-earn-ph-d-in-wco-until-training-camp/
Reid declared that Smith knew his offense when he brought him to KC. That would indicate that his offense is similar to the one Smith ran in San Fran which include QB/WR adjustments at the LoS.

In58men
03-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Any updates on the Bowe situation?

Follow Nick Athan on Twitter great insider

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-09-2015, 04:56 PM

Always.

Yeah, we've been "cuttting Bowe" for years now. :fire:

Jakemall
03-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Would be okay to keep him another year at 4-5 mil, but I agree with others that his focus and effort are lacking. Sloppy routes and poor separation lead to a lot of knockaways (drops that don't technically count as drops). No problem saying goodbye though.

The only way I see this happening is if he hits the market and he finds that he has no value. Doubtful..but possible.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Has Bowe been free to look for trades already?

Sorter
03-09-2015, 05:04 PM
other than the part of about adjusting their route, nothing you said is really contrary to what i said

example:

etc .......
Reid declared that Smith knew his offense when he brought him to KC. That would indicate that his offense is similar to the one Smith ran in San Fran which include QB/WR adjustments at the LoS.

Most teams do have built-in sight adjustments and hots for various concepts. I would imagine the Chiefs do but Harbaugh actually removed SAs in San Francisco to help Alex.

http://grantland.com/features/quarterbacking-made-simple/

That the San Francisco 49ers — a team that hasn’t had a winning record since 2002 — are 7-1 is one of the most shocking stories of the still-young NFL season. Even more shocking is how they’ve done it. 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback, hasn’t turned the team around by getting back to Bill Walsh’s West Coast offense, but instead by channeling Bo Schembechler, Harbaugh’s college coach at Michigan, and winning with physical defense and a powerful running game. But the solid, if unspectacular, play of quarterback Alex Smith has been the glue holding San Francisco’s success together. This is not to say that Smith is stepping in to take the injured Peyton Manning’s spot in the elite quarterback conversation, but it’s clear that Smith’s numbers this season are better than at any other time in his career. More important, his team is winning more than at any other point in his career.

Alex Smith may not be an elite quarterback, but he’s doing essential quarterback things like calling the proper audibles in the running game, converting third downs, and avoiding mistakes.

A key reason for this is that Harbaugh has made the passing game easier for Smith, particularly when it comes to beating the blitz. Of course, coaches often say they are “simplifying the playbook,” but Harbaugh has been able to do it coherently and in a way that actually aids his quarterback’s ability to succeed rather than simply removes options.

One reason for this is that many NFL plays simply duplicate each other; you only need so many ways to throw the same pass to the flat or run off tackle. You might as well perfect the plays you have rather than keep adding new ones every week. But Harbaugh has also changed the entire theory behind how Smith and his offense approach the blitz, and this is where Smith’s greatest improvement has come. That’s because Harbaugh eliminated “sight adjustments” from the 49ers playbook. Indeed, this change has been so successful that, according to Pro Football Focus, Smith’s completion percentage, quarterback rating, average yards per attempt, and touchdown-to-interception ratio against blitzes have all been much better than Smith’s historical averages, but also better than his performance on all other downs.

A “sight adjustment” by a receiver refers to the concept that, if a defense blitzes, the quarterback and receiver must both — on the fly and after the snap — recognize it and adjust routes accordingly. For example, if the receiver’s original assignment was to run, say, 12 yards upfield before breaking outside, when he saw a blitz he might instead run five yards upfield and then break inside on a quick slant, presumably away from a man-to-man defender or to a spot left open by the blitzers. The theory behind this is sound: You simply must have answers against the blitz, and you need receivers to break off their routes to give the quarterback someplace to quickly pass the ball. If they don’t blitz, however, you want to throw downfield (or so you think). Again, this is all great in theory.

Here’s the problem: Players have to make sight adjustments after the snap, in the cognitive mist of a few seconds of action. The quarterback is in a decent spot to read the defense’s intentions — to the extent that he can identify the likely blitzers and potential coverage. Receivers, on the other hand, are aligned to the perimeter and can’t see more than a few players in front of them. They also happen to be sprinting once the ball is put in play. This is not to say that sight adjustments can’t work, but they’re certainly difficult to execute, and when they go wrong terrible things happen: Receivers run hot routes they shouldn’t, or don’t run them when they should; passes go sailing to empty patches of green; interceptions are frequent.

It’s my personal view, but I think NFL teams rely too much on sight adjustments. There are two reasons for this: First, these plays were far more straightforward a decade or two ago than they are now, and second, coaches who spend nearly all their waking hours thinking about football tend to forget that it’s not how many X’s and O’s they know but what they can teach their players. To the first point, sight adjustments are old — at least 50 years old, if not more. But they arose before zone blitzes became popular. Against a blitz with man-to-man coverage in the secondary, sight adjustments made perfect sense. They were extensions of backyard football — throw a quick one to the fast guy and let him run with the ball before the blitz overwhelms the offensive line.

Now it’s not so simple. With the rise of the zone blitz, the fact that three defenders might rush from one side tells the offense almost nothing about where the coverage will be. This is why, when zone blitzes first became prominent, you saw quarterbacks throwing awful passes directly to defenders who weren’t even close to receivers. This is not to say that sight adjustments are impossible in today’s environment, but they require an almost telepathic relationship between quarterback, receiver, and even the offensive line.

So the 49ers ditched sight adjustments. But they still need an answer for the blitz, right? Harbaugh has one. If you want your team to throw the ball downfield, you must keep extra players (two running backs, a running back and a tight end, etc.) in pass protection to buy time for your receivers to get open. Coaches resist this because defenses can force unfavorable situations, like when your running back must block a blitzing defender while three linemen block no one on the other side of the field. But these are necessary trade-offs; the advantage to the offense should be that the three or so receivers who do release in the route should have time to beat the coverage. And, if the defense rushes only four, then the running backs or tight ends can leak into passing routes — a technique known as the “check-release”. Remember, this doesn’t mean the defense cannot still blitz more than the offense can block — they always can — but by keeping extra blockers, teams protect their quarterbacks from the inside to the outside. They force the extra rushers to come from the outside and give receivers time to get open.

But what if you aren’t going to block with seven or eight people? The quarterback still needs an anti-blitz option or two, and these are known as “hot” routes. The difference between Harbaugh’s “hot routes” and the sight adjustment is that he builds them into the receivers’ regular routes. In short, every play has at least one hot route — a quick out, shallow cross, or slant — so if Alex Smith sees a blitz, no complex ballet of synchronized adjustments is necessary; he just looks for a different receiver. Instead of reading deep to medium to short on a passing play that was not blitzed, he might look deep to hot, or even hot to hot (as shown in the video above), when facing a blitz. There is a risk that the built-in hot routes won’t necessarily attack the right area for a given blitz and its attendant coverage, but that was an equal risk with sight adjustments. At least with the built-in ones, there is no added risk that someone would simply screw up an adjustment.

This may seem like a small tweak, and maybe even a step backward, but I assure you it is not. As defenses get more complex, the answer isn’t always to get more complex on offense; sometimes, it’s the opposite. By making the game easier, Harbaugh has turned Smith into one of the league leaders in interceptions per pass attempt. Football is a game of intelligent compromises under constraints such as time, ability, and the raw physics of the game. And right now, at 7-1, Harbaugh’s 49ers seem to have found the right mix.

Aspengc8
03-09-2015, 06:19 PM
other than the part of about adjusting their route, nothing you said is really contrary to what i said

example:

etc .......

Oh yeah theres no doubt Reid's system has some sort of sanity check at the LOS. I did a poor job trying to relay what I was saying. I don't think the old school WCO systems had those types of checks because changing one route could screw up the rest of the concept. That link I threw in there showed some of their 'built in' checks & hot reads.

Your example above kind of reminds of how they ran the Run and Shoot with Warren Moon. If I remember correctly they ran a lot of option routes depending on what the WR's saw coming off the line.

With regard to Bowe.. I really do hope he can restructure like a lot of the current players are doing. If we could somehow get him on the field with Maclin, that would be fun.