PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Car Care and Detailing Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

lewdog
03-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Others mentioned I should start this thread in my other thread. And while I won't have the new car for a while, I'd like to hear some thoughts and recommendations so I can have most of it on hand before the car shows up. My other thread had a lot of great posts in it and you guys have been a big help.

While black cars looks great clean, keeping it relatively clean in Phoenix might be the death of me. But I'll sure as shit give it my best shot.

I actually like cleaning and waxing our current cars but it's not like I am being meticulous about it. I've never had a car with rims either and I know those can get dirty quick. I've never owned a dark colored car and I've never had a car with leather. I plan to take really good care of this car and would like some tips on doing so. But I'm just a fucking n00b.

I'll throw some links out from Amazon as I mention things.

Some of the things already on my list are:
1. Not sure if everyone recommends lambswool wash mitt over micorfiber here but many people I know do?
http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Genuine-Lambswool-Wash-Mitt/dp/B001UJB9AU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425786443&sr=1-1&keywords=lambswool+wash+mitt

2. Grit guard and two wash buckets. One for rinse and one for soap/water.

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Genuine-Lambswool-Wash-Mitt/dp/B001UJB9AU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425786443&sr=1-1&keywords=lambswool+wash+mitt

3. Waffle Weave Drying towel. There are tons of towels out there but this seems to be able to take up a lot of water.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Q8DMA0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I21164SXVV1AWB

4. Car Wash

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009IQXFO/ref=wl_mb_recs_2_title

Some mention that after washing you should use a paint cleanser before waxing. But wondering if washing then clay baring is sufficient prior to wax?

I've seen this P21S Paintwork Cleanser mentioned on a few reads. Looks like good use for water spots and swirls prior to waxing if needed. Not sure if you would do entire car first or just use it for bad spots before waxing?

http://www.amazon.com/P21S-12350B-Paintwork-Cleanser/dp/B0002LBGXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425787148&sr=1-1&keywords=P21S+Paintwork+Cleanser

Also, a company called Zaino has great reviews and recommendations. They have a package that looks like it includes all products I'd need together including wash, polish, wax, leather and tire care.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=ZKIT-2&Category_Code=prokits

I do not have a polisher and would need to get one of those as well but not sure where to start on that front.

Can't wait to see what you guys have tried and recommend.

Bewbies
03-07-2015, 10:50 PM
I like Griot's Garage stuff, and if you want to learn on YouTube there's a show Drive/Clean that's good, and The Chemical Guys have good stuff too.

Miles
03-07-2015, 10:53 PM
You do have to wash a black car a little more often but depending on your eye for detail its all of the micro-scratches they get that are visible with that color that will drive you crazy. If the car was a perfectly cared for as it seems you will notice everything.

stonedstooge
03-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Man, I buy whatever is on discount that is made specifically for black cars. Getting ready to get the convertible out next week. w00t BABY

Miles
03-07-2015, 10:56 PM
I like Griot's Garage stuff, and if you want to learn on YouTube there's a show Drive/Clean that's good, and The Chemical Guys have good stuff too.

Dude from /Drive Clean is great and picked up a lot of tips from those. Another good one is Mike Phillips but tend to be a better reference when you are looking for something specific.

TinyEvel
03-07-2015, 10:57 PM
What's the collective opinion on Armor-All? I've heard that it's bad, that once you use it you have to keep using it to make your stuff look clean/shiny. Thoughts?

Miles
03-07-2015, 10:58 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/ is easily my go to place. They have a lot of product info on their site and customer service is great. Whenever you order from them don't forget to add a free sample. They have somewhere on there that there is an order cost threshold but if you select on they will give it to you.

lewdog
03-07-2015, 11:01 PM
You do have to wash a black car a little more often but depending on your eye for detail its all of the micro-scratches they get that are visible with that color that will drive you crazy. If the car was a perfectly cared for as it seems you will notice everything.

Yes I realize it's not going to always be pristine but it looks like there are some things you can do to minimize the swirls and things you can do to treat them. I've visited multiple sites but there are tons of products out there. Autogeek has tons of stuff and I've ordered basic things from them in the past, but sifting through that site as I expand things I'll need for this car is providing challenging.

That's why I was trying to find a company that sells a package deal for products that others say work well.

Miles
03-07-2015, 11:03 PM
What's the collective opinion on Armor-All? I've heard that it's bad, that once you use it you have to keep using it to make your stuff look clean/shiny. Thoughts?

The old school stuff is awful (not to mention the shiny look) and actually makes stuff stuff wear worse.

Have used 303 Aerospace Protectant for years and it is really great stuff and lasts a long time. Ace Hardware used to randomly carry it but easier online.

TribalElder
03-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Just purchase an unlimited pass to a full service car wash lol 'Murica!

lewdog
03-07-2015, 11:07 PM

Looks like good stuff as well.

I'm in need of a polisher and their car care packages look decent.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ultimate+machine+polish+wax+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

lewdog
03-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Just purchase an unlimited pass to a full service car wash lol 'Murica!

AND LET THOSE FUCKING PLACES TOUCH MY PAINT WITH THEIR FUCKING BIG ASS CARWASH EQUIPMENT FOLLOWED BY A DRY-OFF FROM A KID WITH A DIRTY FUCKING TOWEL!?!?!?!?

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miles
03-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Yes I realize it's not going to always be pristine but it looks like there are some things you can do to minimize the swirls and things you can do to treat them. I've visited multiple sites but there are tons of products out there. Autogeek has tons of stuff and I've ordered basic things from them in the past, but sifting through that site as I expand things I'll need for this car is providing challenging.

That's why I was trying to find a company that sells a package deal for products that others say work well.

Agreed with you take on just minimizing swirls and stuff. Also have a black car and if you want to keep it perfect you will just drive yourself crazy.

Autogeeks site kind of has too much stuff going on its a overwhelming. Once you get more familiar with types of products is a little more manageable. Have had good luck with their Blackfire and Wolfgang offerings that are meant to be easier to use for us weekenders.

A package deal can be a nice way to get started but they can have stuff you wont use very often or at all.

Miles
03-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Since it is already in nice shape maybe start with washing. Two bucket method like you said with grit guards. The orange 5 gallon ones from home depot work well if you don't already have some laying around. Use only really good microfiber towels to dry and make sure you got all of the dirt off before drying (I miss spots all the time).

This may be a good watch. Some of the more detailed stuff might get tossed out the window for a daily driver but this guy is really good. Well worth your time to watch his videos are on more general topics like this which give a nice baseline.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X0Sqi1lAj1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brock
03-07-2015, 11:25 PM
I use a sponge for washing and a urethane squeegee for drying.

MIAdragon
03-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Depend on how anal you are and how much you want to spend. With a black car, I'd have the paint FULLY corrected, 700ish then fully wrapped in xpel self healing wrap. Around 1500. Seems like some coin but it will always look pristine with almost zero effort and its protected from Rock chips, bird shit and just about anything else except a crazy ex.

MIAdragon
03-07-2015, 11:27 PM
I use a sponge for washing and a urethane squeegee for drying.

Better yet, go to a self wash that has the air dryer option. The less you dry rub your paint the better.

Brock
03-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Better yet, go to a self wash that has the air dryer option. The less you dry rub your paint the better.

Sometimes I use my leaf blower

Miles
03-07-2015, 11:38 PM

Electric leaf blower or even better a purpose built blower are nice for not using towels.

Miles
03-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Depend on how anal you are and how much you want to spend. With a black car, I'd have the paint FULLY corrected, 700ish then fully wrapped in xpel self healing wrap. Around 1500. Seems like some coin but it will always look pristine with almost zero effort and its protected from Rock chips, bird shit and just about anything else except a crazy ex.

If it was kept up by someone who kept it as perfect as his earlier thread describes should be little to no paint correction needed. Unless it is serious and you don't mind the effort, paint correction isn't too bad to do it on your own so long as you have a polisher and the right products.

Have heard of the newer clear bra tech but haven't seen it in use (or noticed that a car had it which I guess would be the point). Would be curious if it gives a different look.

LoneWolf
03-08-2015, 07:44 AM
http://www.zymol.com

Your welcome.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 08:09 AM

I'm not sure I am that anal and the paint is in great shape already. I'm mostly looking for ways to wash it weekly and wax/polish every few months. I've heard about those wraps and many say those actually oxidize in the heat (I'm in Phoenix) and can turn yellowish themselves?

Although this is pretty sweet in the video! If the paint is fine and doesn't need to be fully corrected, you think it costs about $1,500 to have someone do the Xpel wraps and you are saying do the whole car, not just the bra area like many people do? I just looked online and many say $3k is the minimum that would cost so I am surely out on that. Would think about it for the front end area but many people say if your car is exposed to lots of sun, this will be, it has the risk of oxidizing and turning yellow. Do you just wax/polish over this area like you normally would a car without this wrap?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T6oEgfdwUU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
03-08-2015, 08:11 AM
http://www.zymol.com

Your welcome.

*You're

But anyway, see this is what I mean! SOO many products out there. I suppose as long as I am doing something it's better than nothing.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 08:38 AM
And it we are being honest with ourselves it's a nice car but a 10 year old Mustang, not a Porsche.

Bugeater
03-08-2015, 08:38 AM
*You're

But anyway, see this is what I mean! SOO many products out there. I suppose as long as I am doing something it's better than nothing.
Yeah, as long as you're using auto-specific products and following the directions you should be fine. You NEVER want to use any type of household cleaners, like dish soap for instance, the grease cutting elements in it will strip your wax job right off.

I do the clay bar/wax once a year, then just regular washings and dry with a chamois. Leaf blower works good too, if you have a good wax job the water will roll right off the paint. I also use Meguiar's trim detailer on all the black plastic, usually have to do that a couple times a year.

One thing with the clay bar is you always want to put some towels or newspaper on the ground where you're working that way if you drop it, it won't get any small pebbles/rocks in it. You don't want to be rubbing that shit into your paint.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah, as long as you're using auto-specific products and following the directions you should be fine. You NEVER want to use any type of household cleaners, like dish soap for instance, the grease cutting elements in it will strip your wax job right off.

I do the clay bar/wax once a year, then just regular washings and dry with a chamois. Leaf blower works good too, if you have a good wax job the water will roll right off the paint. I also use Meguiar's trim detailer on all the black plastic, usually have to do that a couple times a year.

One thing with the clay bar is you always want to put some towels or newspaper on the ground where you're working that way if you drop it, it won't get any small pebbles/rocks in it. You don't want to be rubbing that shit into your paint.

Good recommendation on the clay bar. Someone in the other thread mentioned some new clay product that's a clay towel, said it's easier to use and better?

I wax our current cars 3 times per year so I don't mind putting some work in. I never let them get to the point that water isn't beading over the whole car. Thing is we've only ever owned light colored cars. Hell, mine is silver and sometimes when waxing it's hard for me to tell where I have the wax drying as the haze is similar in color to the car. LMAO.

It's this whole black color that I know will show swirls. Not that I won't mind a few because I know they'll happen but I'll have to be a little more detailed/patient with how I wash and wax it.

I have an electric leaf blower and never thought about drying with that. I would think that would still leave some water spots but I haven't tried it.

Bugeater
03-08-2015, 08:49 AM
I have not used a clay towel so I don't know anything about it. I will say, you will be shocked at how much longer your wax job lasts if you clay bar (or towel?) it first.

Warpaint69
03-08-2015, 08:57 AM
I have the Griot 6" and 3" polishers, very affordable for the do it yourselfer, not to mention both come with a lifetime warranty. Before you polish you'll want to clay your car. Some also do a wipe down with deluted alcohol to remove old wax. I found a safer means with Griot Garages Paint Prep. As far as polishes there are many great options. An affordable pair is meguiars 105 and 205 or the Wolfgang twins. I personally like the Menzerna line of polishes. Their FG400 is a diminishing polish that will correct and also polish out to 95% in one step with a lake country flat orange pad with decreasing pressure with your passes. That last 5% are people who desire that true show car finish and the Menzerna SF4500 with a lake country flat grey will get you there. I've also used a white flat with the 4500 with great results. The thing you'll learn about pads is there really isn't a right or wrong pad. You just always want to start with the least aggressive pad and cutting compound to achieve your goal. I recommend plenty of testing/trial and error. Lake Country and Buff and Shine make good quality pads. After I'm through polishing I wipe the vehicle down with CarPro Eraser to remove left over polish residue and oils. The best glaze on the market for those with fine swirls and don't wish to do paint correction is Chemical Guys Black Light. My favorite sealant is Black Fire Wet Diamond. With 2 coats of Pinnacle Souveran wax on black or red paints it gives deep shine and looks super wet. Wolfgang Fuzion wax is also amazing on dark paints, it lasts a little longer than Souveran, but the $195 price tag is steep, you do get 1 free refill. I dry my Camaro with a Metro Vac Master Blaster blow dryer, they're pricey, but reduce chances of swirls. The best quick detailer spray is made by Adams Polishes. Something else you want in your arsenal is plenty of microfiber towels and it's wise to color code your towel to specific steps in your detailing to never cross contaminate products on your finish. Here's a list of places I visit and hit sales.

Auto geek- auto geek often has sales, but their shipping is pricey want to reach their free shipping with your order.

Detailers Domain- I've done a bit of business with Phil and he's always willing to offer me 15% off on any of my orders.

Detailed Image

Adams Polishes

Superior Car Care- Always get 10% off with SUPERIOR10 code

Auto Detailing Solutions

Auto-Topia Car Care

Detailing.com

petegz28
03-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Others mentioned I should start this thread in my other thread. And while I won't have the new car for a while, I'd like to hear some thoughts and recommendations so I can have most of it on hand before the car shows up. My other thread had a lot of great posts in it and you guys have been a big help.

While black cars looks great clean, keeping it relatively clean in Phoenix might be the death of me. But I'll sure as shit give it my best shot.

I actually like cleaning and waxing our current cars but it's not like I am being meticulous about it. I've never had a car with rims either and I know those can get dirty quick. I've never owned a dark colored car and I've never had a car with leather. I plan to take really good care of this car and would like some tips on doing so. But I'm just a ****ing n00b.

I'll throw some links out from Amazon as I mention things.

Some of the things already on my list are:
1. Not sure if everyone recommends lambswool wash mitt over micorfiber here but many people I know do?

2. Grit guard and two wash buckets. One for rinse and one for soap/water.

3. Waffle Weave Drying towel. There are tons of towels out there but this seems to be able to take up a lot of water.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Q8DMA0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I21164SXVV1AWB

4. Car Wash

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009IQXFO/ref=wl_mb_recs_2_title

Some mention that after washing you should use a paint cleanser before waxing. But wondering if washing then clay baring is sufficient prior to wax?

I've seen this P21S Paintwork Cleanser mentioned on a few reads. Looks like good use for water spots and swirls prior to waxing if needed. Not sure if you would do entire car first or just use it for bad spots before waxing?

http://www.amazon.com/P21S-12350B-Paintwork-Cleanser/dp/B0002LBGXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425787148&sr=1-1&keywords=P21S+Paintwork+Cleanser

Also, a company called Zaino has great reviews and recommendations. They have a package that looks like it includes all products I'd need together including wash, polish, wax, leather and tire care.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=ZKIT-2&Category_Code=prokits

I do not have a polisher and would need to get one of those as well but not sure where to start on that front.

Can't wait to see what you guys have tried and recommend.

Zaino is the shit! I use it on the Camaro. Top notch stuff. Expensive but it will make your car shine like a fucking mirror!

Warpaint69
03-08-2015, 09:04 AM
I have not used a clay towel so I don't know anything about it. I will say, you will be shocked at how much longer your wax job lasts if you clay bar (or towel?) it first.

The towels work great and cut claying time down considerable not to mention give more uses than clay. Drawback a new towel even being broke in on glass as its recommended leaves considerable paint marring the first few times you use it until it gets really broke in. So if you're not planning to paint correct, don't use one.

Bugeater
03-08-2015, 09:06 AM
The towels work great and cut claying time down considerable not to mention give more uses than clay. Drawback a new towel even being broke in on glass as its recommended leaves considerable paint marring the first few times you use it until it gets really broke in. So if you're not planning to paint correct, don't use one.
So what you're saying is...use it on the wife's car a few times before you use it on your own? :D

Warpaint69
03-08-2015, 09:20 AM
So what you're saying is...use it on the wife's car a few times before you use it on your own? :D
That or a few buddies cars ;).

Demonpenz
03-08-2015, 10:39 AM
There is a place called Rise and Rinse here in Overland Park. I have found them very awesome. I got the season pass so I can drop my car off over my lunch and then I can sneak in a quick meeting at a coffee shop. When I am done with my lunch my car and the inside look great. I would recommend a set up like that if you are on the go all the time and can't really afford to take time out of your day to clean.

kccrow
03-08-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure I am that anal and the paint is in great shape already. I'm mostly looking for ways to wash it weekly and wax/polish every few months. I've heard about those wraps and many say those actually oxidize in the heat (I'm in Phoenix) and can turn yellowish themselves?

Although this is pretty sweet in the video! If the paint is fine and doesn't need to be fully corrected, you think it costs about $1,500 to have someone do the Xpel wraps and you are saying do the whole car, not just the bra area like many people do? I just looked online and many say $3k is the minimum that would cost so I am surely out on that. Would think about it for the front end area but many people say if your car is exposed to lots of sun, this will be, it has the risk of oxidizing and turning yellow. Do you just wax/polish over this area like you normally would a car without this wrap?

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T6oEgfdwUU0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Just buy and do yourself. Ceramic polymers are pretty awesome. I don't know how it will be in Phoenix heat like you said though. When I sold cars in KY, we didn't seem to have any complaints on the stuff.

Anyhow, I've always used Mothers cleaners/compounds and Meguiars wax.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 11:08 AM
There is a place called Rise and Rinse here in Overland Park. I have found them very awesome. I got the season pass so I can drop my car off over my lunch and then I can sneak in a quick meeting at a coffee shop. When I am done with my lunch my car and the inside look great. I would recommend a set up like that if you are on the go all the time and can't really afford to take time out of your day to clean.

None around here are touchless car washes. And those big ass fucking things that touch your cars paint in car washes are horrible for it.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Just buy and do yourself. Ceramic polymers are pretty awesome.

I've heard horror stories about doing it yourself. Not sure I am good enough to do that. Plus I keep reading forums where they oxidize in high heat and this car is black and will be outside during the day when I am working. Not a good combo.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Zaino is the shit! I use it on the Camaro. Top notch stuff. Expensive but it will make your car shine like a fucking mirror!

Is that bullshit from you? I mean, do you really own a Camaro or is that the inside CP joke you are using?

SAUTO
03-08-2015, 11:14 AM
I just have my body shop buddy take my DD every other Friday and hook it up.

Works out great.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 11:17 AM
I just have my body shop buddy take my DD every other Friday and hook it up.

Works out great.

Must be nice. So back to my situation! :D

SAUTO
03-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Must be nice. So back to my situation! :D

ROFL,due to that I got nothin for ya in this one...

MahiMike
03-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I like the ICE products, both for their gel wax and their interior cleaners. The gel waxes let you do a monthly wax and another one that's a spray on lighter wax for in between.

The interior cleaner can be sprayed on anything from plastic to leather. Not that greasy film like the old stuff. Smells good too.

jerryforeverrice80
03-08-2015, 12:23 PM
i use Meguiars products on my ride.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 05:35 PM
I have the Griot 6" and 3" polishers, very affordable for the do it yourselfer, not to mention both come with a lifetime warranty. Before you polish you'll want to clay your car. Some also do a wipe down with deluted alcohol to remove old wax. I found a safer means with Griot Garages Paint Prep. As far as polishes there are many great options. An affordable pair is meguiars 105 and 205 or the Wolfgang twins. I personally like the Menzerna line of polishes. Their FG400 is a diminishing polish that will correct and also polish out to 95% in one step with a lake country flat orange pad with decreasing pressure with your passes. That last 5% are people who desire that true show car finish and the Menzerna SF4500 with a lake country flat grey will get you there. I've also used a white flat with the 4500 with great results. The thing you'll learn about pads is there really isn't a right or wrong pad. You just always want to start with the least aggressive pad and cutting compound to achieve your goal. I recommend plenty of testing/trial and error. Lake Country and Buff and Shine make good quality pads. After I'm through polishing I wipe the vehicle down with CarPro Eraser to remove left over polish residue and oils. The best glaze on the market for those with fine swirls and don't wish to do paint correction is Chemical Guys Black Light. My favorite sealant is Black Fire Wet Diamond. With 2 coats of Pinnacle Souveran wax on black or red paints it gives deep shine and looks super wet. Wolfgang Fuzion wax is also amazing on dark paints, it lasts a little longer than Souveran, but the $195 price tag is steep, you do get 1 free refill. I dry my Camaro with a Metro Vac Master Blaster blow dryer, they're pricey, but reduce chances of swirls. The best quick detailer spray is made by Adams Polishes. Something else you want in your arsenal is plenty of microfiber towels and it's wise to color code your towel to specific steps in your detailing to never cross contaminate products on your finish. Here's a list of places I visit and hit sales.

Auto geek- auto geek often has sales, but their shipping is pricey want to reach their free shipping with your order.

Detailers Domain- I've done a bit of business with Phil and he's always willing to offer me 15% off on any of my orders.

Detailed Image

Adams Polishes

Superior Car Care- Always get 10% off with SUPERIOR10 code

Auto Detailing Solutions

Auto-Topia Car Care

Detailing.com

Great post. The confusion on the Griot site was trying to find descriptions of all those pads and which to use? You pretty much polish and wax with pads/polisher and buff by hand right? I've never really been told best method and having a polisher will be new. I've always done it all by hand.

Silock
03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't get too hyped up by brand names.

Clay bar of any ilk will work wonders. My wax of choice is Colinite. It's AMAZING.

http://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845/dp/B000JK2D06/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425858151&sr=1-10&keywords=car+wax

Shine is amazing and it's tough as nails. I believe it was originally developed for boats, but it works better on cars. And because it's so tough, it really holds up to the rough weather here, in terms of all the salt and heat.

KC native
03-08-2015, 05:44 PM
This is the kit my friend has for his Challenger. He loves it.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Black_Paint_Maintenance_Kit_6_Items_p/hol_201.htm

One of my good friends uses Zaino's stuff. He loves it as well.

I bought an orbital polisher from Harbor Freight for about $50 and it has worked perfectly.

I can't say enough good stuff about the Chemical guys stuff though. They have stuff for every experience level and price point.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 06:31 PM
I don't get too hyped up by brand names.

Clay bar of any ilk will work wonders. My wax of choice is Colinite. It's AMAZING.

http://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845/dp/B000JK2D06/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425858151&sr=1-10&keywords=car+wax

Shine is amazing and it's tough as nails. I believe it was originally developed for boats, but it works better on cars. And because it's so tough, it really holds up to the rough weather here, in terms of all the salt and heat.

Looks like good stuff. I'll definitely keep it on the list. You always know your shit. Very versatile mr. Silock.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 06:35 PM
This is the kit my friend has for his Challenger. He loves it.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Black_Paint_Maintenance_Kit_6_Items_p/hol_201.htm

One of my good friends uses Zaino's stuff. He loves it as well.

I bought an orbital polisher from Harbor Freight for about $50 and it has worked perfectly.

I can't say enough good stuff about the Chemical guys stuff though. They have stuff for every experience level and price point.

NO DICK PICS PLEASE!

So if you buy an orbital from them, where do you get pads that fit it? $50 sounds nice!

The Zaino stuff looks great. I'm just leery with how many coats they say you get out of a bottle. Like 20 applications for that small bottle. Not that I care if it's half that and works well. Chemical brothers looks good too. What do you use of theirs?

KC native
03-08-2015, 06:42 PM
NO DICK PICS PLEASE!

So if you buy an orbital from them, where do you get pads that fit it? $50 sounds nice!

The Zaino stuff looks great. I'm just leery with how many coats they say you get out of a bottle. Like 20 applications for that small bottle. Not that I care if it's half that and works well. Chemical brothers looks good too. What do you use of theirs?

LMAO

I bought my pads from Chemical Guys.

Chemical guys has sales and discount codes all the time as well.

I use Inner Clean for my interior. Shit is awesome. It makes the plastic look like it is brand new. No gloss. I use their Fabric Clean for the fabric stuff as needed. That shit is awesome (dilute per their recommendations). It made our 2008 3's interior look great after my wife and kid had trashed it. I use the Vintage Series Satin shine stuff for exterior plastics and tires. It's awesome for covering up any wax you may get on trim pieces.

For the exterior, I use a polish that I don't think they sell anymore (it was nano-blah blah blah). I use their Pete's 53 wax and Jet Seal as a paint sealant.

Edit: The quality detailing stuff like Chemical Guys and Zaino's really do work best with a less is more philosophy. The stuff I've bought has lasted a long ass time.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 06:51 PM
LMAO

I bought my pads from Chemical Guys.

Chemical guys has sales and discount codes all the time as well.

I use Inner Clean for my interior. Shit is awesome. It makes the plastic look like it is brand new. No gloss. I use their Fabric Clean for the fabric stuff as needed. That shit is awesome (dilute per their recommendations). It made our 2008 3's interior look great after my wife and kid had trashed it. I use the Vintage Series Satin shine stuff for exterior plastics and tires. It's awesome for covering up any wax you may get on trim pieces.

For the exterior, I use a polish that I don't think they sell anymore (it was nano-blah blah blah). I use their Pete's 53 wax and Jet Seal as a paint sealant.

Edit: The quality detailing stuff like Chemical Guys and Zaino's really do work best with a less is more philosophy. The stuff I've bought has lasted a long ass time.

Pardon my dumb questions. So if I buy a polisher from somewhere, I can get pads to fit it from anywhere? That black kit from chemical guys looks legit! So for paint that would be all I'd need you think? Inner cleaner is chemical guys? This is leather so I'd find a conditioner to avoid the cracking in this heat.

I'm still leaning to Zaino because that bunch covers paint, wash, leather and tires in one. You aren't the first whose mentioned it's good. Just not sure it's best for black but it probably would be fine.

KC native
03-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Pardon my dumb questions. So if I buy a polisher from somewhere, I can get pads to fit it from anywhere? That black kit from chemical guys looks legit! So for paint that would be all I'd need you think? Inner cleaner is chemical guys? This is leather so I'd find a conditioner to avoid the cracking in this heat.

I'm still leaning to Zaino because that bunch covers paint, wash, leather and tires in one. You aren't the first whose mentioned it's good. Just not sure it's best for black but it probably would be fine.

Ah, yea, I forgot. I use their Leather Conditioner product too. I don't have much leather in my interior so I forgot about it. Don't use Innerclean on leather.

And yes, you can get pads from anywhere. You just have to make sure they work with whatever backing plate is on it. Mine has the velcro backing plate so anything that has that works for it.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 09:09 PM
So let me see if I can figure this out.

If I order the Porter Cable polisher

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002654I46/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I34OXS7VFQ8C11

Add a different backing

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CH3Z8W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I3E41CSBGR5S3T

I can use whatever pads I want on the polisher, like these below, with a new backing?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UQAY8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=IFUOMQ21HBFID

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-BUFX104HEX5-Hex-Logic-Light-Medium/dp/B0041MVQ4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425870471&sr=8-1&keywords=polishing+pad

Buehler445
03-08-2015, 09:11 PM
OK, I don't know what you have available in Pheonix, but there is a guy in town that runs a detailing shop. Quite frankly he can do it better than I can and probably cheaper. He did some work for my dad. His pickup was pretty freaking dirty. We have some fine ass dust out here, and it got into the texture on his dash and I flat out couldn't get it clean. I worked at cleaning it for like 3 hours and he did it for like $90 and made it far better than I could.

He just cleaned my wife's TrailBlazer. It was freaking dirty. It's the one we take the dog in all the time and it goes on all the country roads and we hadn't touched it for over a year since our baby was born and he washed, waxed, (I think) he used the Clay Bar, windows, tires, shampooed the carpets, and made it interior look better than I ever could (including cleaning the AC vents. To this fucking day I have no idea how to get the dust out of the AC vents). Did all that shit for $125. I know I was talking to him and he had monthly programs that are probably damn reasonable.

Something to look into. I always thought I did a nice job keeping care of my cars (when I was single LOL) but this guy is better than I am and damn reasonable too.

petegz28
03-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Is that bullshit from you? I mean, do you really own a Camaro or is that the inside CP joke you are using?

I own a 1999 Z28 that will do 12.2 in the 1/4. That being said, Zaino Bro's is the bomb. I love that shit. It makes any of the crap you get off the shelf look like, well, crap.

Warpaint69
03-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Great post. The confusion on the Griot site was trying to find descriptions of all those pads and which to use? You pretty much polish and wax with pads/polisher and buff by hand right? I've never really been told best method and having a polisher will be new. I've always done it all by hand.

You can do every step with the polisher. If you buy a Griot 6" I suggest getting a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. I use Lake Country Pads mainly currently and have used Buff and Shine. With the Lake Country Flats yellow is your heavy cutting, orange is light cutting, white is polishing, grey is fine polishing, and blue is finessing like glazes and sealants. I have a different kind of Lake Country foam called CCS I use the Reds to apply wax. As far as polisher speeds you're talking setting 4-5 maybe 6 with cutting, 4-5 polishing, and I use 1 to lay sealant and wax thin and even. Depending on the condition of your paint will dictate how many pads you want to purchase. A dry pad works better than a wet pad. It also depends on what you want to spend.

As far as the Chemical Guys Hex Pads I believe they are made by Buff and Shine for Chemical Guys. Phil at Detailers Domain rebrands buff and sine pads he's simplified it down to printing on the back of the pad what that pad does. Phil offers 5 of the buff and shine pad line yellow is cutting, orange is medium polish, green polish, blue glaze/final polish, and black glaze/wax/sealant.

I'm not really into using one line and one line only, I've found certain companies have strengths with some products and weakness in others or just way over priced all together. If you're reall not sure on what you all need call auto geek and they can put you together a kit. I put my product assortment together from a bunch of reading on various detailing forums and asking questions. If you have and questions I can try to help just PM me.

lewdog
03-08-2015, 09:42 PM
I own a 1999 Z28 that will do 12.2 in the 1/4. That being said, Zaino Bro's is the bomb. I love that shit. It makes any of the crap you get off the shelf look like, well, crap.

Interesting. Based on their site, the products go on easy and they say to NOT use a polisher? Do you really do all those coats of the products by hand? None of their products are listed as wax, just different polishes and enhancers. I'm assuming their polishes do both jobs as all other companies sell various polishes followed by waxes. How does that work?

Silock
03-09-2015, 12:05 AM

Why so slow, bro?

lewdog
03-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Fuck. Posted this in wrong thread earlier so here it is.

Was thinking about just a simple orbital polisher such as this. I read somewhere that orbital is better than rotary to avoid swirls. The same one linked here is $25 at Walmart. Not sure if I would go with 6 or 10 inches though? I know I couldn't use the chemical guys polishing pads if I went with the 10 inches and they seem to have a lot of options.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038YNA16/...I29JLNCRSHPM8Z

Here's the 6 incher (No KC NATIVE)

http://www.amazon.com/Carrand-94000A...bital+polisher

Bugeater
03-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Second linky no worky. I have a 10' Craftsman orbital that is over 20 years old that's similar to the one you linked and it works fine. I use a terry cloth bonnet for applying and a lambswool one for buffing. Although I don't have any experience with taking care of black so there may very well be better products for that.

MIAdragon
03-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Brother that's worthless. Here going to make it easy on you. But this, thank me later.http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-correction-kit.html

Miles
03-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Fuck. Posted this in wrong thread earlier so here it is.

Was thinking about just a simple orbital polisher such as this. I read somewhere that orbital is better than rotary to avoid swirls. The same one linked here is $25 at Walmart. Not sure if I would go with 6 or 10 inches though? I know I couldn't use the chemical guys polishing pads if I went with the 10 inches and they seem to have a lot of options.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038YNA16/...I29JLNCRSHPM8Z

Here's the 6 incher (No KC NATIVE)

http://www.amazon.com/Carrand-94000A...bital+polisher

The big advantage of a dual action polisher vs. the rotary or orbital is its much more difficult to do counterproductive stuff or even burn through the clear coat.

Miles
03-11-2015, 10:09 PM
So let me see if I can figure this out.

If I order the Porter Cable polisher

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002654I46/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I34OXS7VFQ8C11

Add a different backing

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CH3Z8W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I3E41CSBGR5S3T

I can use whatever pads I want on the polisher, like these below, with a new backing?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UQAY8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=IFUOMQ21HBFID

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-BUFX104HEX5-Hex-Logic-Light-Medium/dp/B0041MVQ4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425870471&sr=8-1&keywords=polishing+pad

I use an older version of that PC. IMO smaller pads like 4 or 5" are better for polishing or correcting.

Nzoner
03-12-2015, 06:28 AM
None around here are touchless car washes. And those big ass ****ing things that touch your cars paint in car washes are horrible for it.

I had a new 2002 Yukon Denali that i kept till 2012 and now have a black 2012 Jeep Wrangler and have always taken them to a local car wash client that uses soft cloth washers(no brushes) and air dry and the damn things look(ed) brand new.In fact when I traded the Denali the sales guy was very impressed with how good it looked.

Just my experience.

lewdog
03-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Second linky no worky. I have a 10' Craftsman orbital that is over 20 years old that's similar to the one you linked and it works fine. I use a terry cloth bonnet for applying and a lambswool one for buffing. Although I don't have any experience with taking care of black so there may very well be better products for that.

It's the same orbital but just the 6 inch one. Again, I have no idea about black either, hence all my fucking stupid questions placed in one thread.

Brother that's worthless. Here going to make it easy on you. But this, thank me later.http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-correction-kit.html

$300 is a bit more than I wanted to spend but I had looked at that one. Looks nice. But if I order the Zaino products for the polishing, I was just planning on getting a different polisher.

Any thoughts on PC package from Autogeek I linked in next post?

The big advantage of a dual action polisher vs. the rotary or orbital is its much more difficult to do counterproductive stuff or even burn through the clear coat.

I use an older version of that PC. IMO smaller pads like 4 or 5" are better for polishing or correcting.

Good to know. I might go with that PC I linked then. Looks pretty good. Can I use most 6 inch pads with that one, including the chemical brothers stuff if needed.

This package looks good doesn't it?
http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-buffer-value-kit.html

I had a new 2002 Yukon Denali that i kept till 2012 and now have a black 2012 Jeep Wrangler and have always taken them to a local car wash client that uses soft cloth washers(no brushes) and air dry and the damn things look(ed) brand new.In fact when I traded the Denali the sales guy was very impressed with how good it looked.

Just my experience.

I can't find any like that around here though. Plus I like taking care of my cars. I find it oddly enjoyable and relaxing to put some tunes on and be out there.

Frosty
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I frankly don't have the energy to spend a bunch of time detailing my cars anymore so I go for something that is easy to use and lasts a long time but still looks good. I'm a big fan of Optimum products.

After washing the car (with Optimum car wash and a dash of Optimum No Rinse) and drying it, I start by doing the whole car with Klasse All In One. The one thing I don't like with Optimum is their no cut polish/cleaner so I use Klasse instead. Klasse AIO cleans the paint and adds a durable acrylic sealant.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Nr1wUT8jL.jpg

I then add a sealer, Optimum Opti-Seal. It adds a super durable finish to the car. A little goes a long way and it only takes like 2-3 squirts to do a whole car. You just apply it with a microfiber towel. Too much leaves a haze, so you have be careful there.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/optimgs/8oz%20Opti%20Seal.jpg

That makes up the base which lasts quite a while, six months or so. To keep it going as long as possible, I top that with Optimum Car Wax. I love this stuff. You just spray it on and wipe it off. No buffing or residue. You can hit it again with the OCW after every wash. It only takes a few minutes.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/optimgs/17ozCarWax2.jpg

The nice thing about all of these is that they don't stain trim. In fact they keep the trim nice and black and you don't have to use Armorall type stuff on it. My wife's CR-V has tons of that black trim and it's a pain to deal with otherwise.

Nothing super fancy but I think it ads a nice shine and some depth. It also lasts. I can do a final detail in September and still be beading in March, even with our shitty winters.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/340761_2364433321127_2090090233_o.jpg

MIAdragon
03-12-2015, 05:42 PM
KAIO is old school but still works well.

Lew, trust me that Meg's system is perfect for the beginner. It will give you unreal results from the jump. Spend a little more it's well worth it.

lewdog
03-12-2015, 09:27 PM
I frankly don't have the energy to spend a bunch of time detailing my cars anymore so I go for something that is easy to use and lasts a long time but still looks good. I'm a big fan of Optimum products.

After washing the car (with Optimum car wash and a dash of Optimum No Rinse) and drying it, I start by doing the whole car with Klasse All In One. The one thing I don't like with Optimum is their no cut polish/cleaner so I use Klasse instead. Klasse AIO cleans the paint and adds a durable acrylic sealant.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Nr1wUT8jL.jpg

I then add a sealer, Optimum Opti-Seal. It adds a super durable finish to the car. A little goes a long way and it only takes like 2-3 squirts to do a whole car. You just apply it with a microfiber towel. Too much leaves a haze, so you have be careful there.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/optimgs/8oz%20Opti%20Seal.jpg

That makes up the base which lasts quite a while, six months or so. To keep it going as long as possible, I top that with Optimum Car Wax. I love this stuff. You just spray it on and wipe it off. No buffing or residue. You can hit it again with the OCW after every wash. It only takes a few minutes.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/optimgs/17ozCarWax2.jpg

The nice thing about all of these is that they don't stain trim. In fact they keep the trim nice and black and you don't have to use Armorall type stuff on it. My wife's CR-V has tons of that black trim and it's a pain to deal with otherwise.

Nothing super fancy but I think it ads a nice shine and some depth. It also lasts. I can do a final detail in September and still be beading in March, even with our shitty winters.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/340761_2364433321127_2090090233_o.jpg

I have used the Optimum No Rinse wash and the Optimum seal and wax in the past. Not the spray wax though. I had forgotten about them. Not a bad option and your car looks fantastic!

KAIO is old school but still works well.

Lew, trust me that Meg's system is perfect for the beginner. It will give you unreal results from the jump. Spend a little more it's well worth it.

That's a good looking package actually once reading about it. I was thinking a different polisher though because I have been leaning to the Zaino package which has great reviews and includes a car wash product, clay bar, leather protectant and tire shine. I'm not really looking to drop $400 between the two though.

MIAdragon
03-12-2015, 09:37 PM
I have used the Optimum No Rinse wash and the Optimum seal and wax in the past. Not the spray wax though. I had forgotten about them. Not a bad option and your car looks fantastic!

That's a good looking package actually once reading about it. I was thinking a different polisher though because I have been leaning to the Zaino package which has great reviews and includes a car wash product, clay bar, leather protectant and tire shine. I'm not really looking to drop $400 between the two though.

You can use zanio with that polisher with different pads. Have a feeling you won't play with zanio after the megs stuff.

lewdog
03-12-2015, 09:43 PM
You can use zanio with that polisher with different pads. Have a feeling you won't play with zanio after the megs stuff.

Well you sure know your shit I've noticed. Maybe I should just start with that package. Only having to do two steps with the compound and then the wax would be nice, especially if just those two work as good as you say. Add in some leather protectant, car wash, clay bar and tire shine from Autogeek as well and call it good. I could always try some Zaino products down the line if I get a hair up my ass.

Any good car wash product you would recommend?

lewdog
03-14-2015, 03:18 PM

So going back on this package, it looks like a heavy correction compound set with products that contain some abrasives? And correct me if I am wrong but you don't want to be polishing/correcting all the time as this strips the clear coat. It should be done sparingly (once a year if it's needed at all) and only used when paint correction is needed. Once you've corrected the paint you want to be diligent with maintenance that includes regular washing, polishes without abrasives and/or glazes applied with finishing pads and lastly followed with a wax/sealant. Right?

And since I have been told the paint on this Stang is really good, I don't want a bunch of abrasive correcting compounds to start with?

vailpass
03-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Mobile detailing. Ask somebody...

Miles
03-14-2015, 04:13 PM
So going back on this package, it looks like a heavy correction compound set with products that contain some abrasives? And correct me if I am wrong but you don't want to be polishing/correcting all the time as this strips the clear coat. It should be done sparingly (once a year if it's needed at all) and only used when paint correction is needed. Once you've corrected the paint you want to be diligent with maintenance that includes regular washing, polishes without abrasives and/or glazes applied with finishing pads and lastly followed with a wax/sealant. Right?

And since I have been told the paint on this Stang is really good, I don't want a bunch of abrasive correcting compounds to start with?

Exactly as you assumed. You only want to correct when you have to and do your best to maintain when washing. All polish contain at least some micro-abrasives but you just want enough to do the job. The pad will also be a factor in the amount of cut as well.

Should be no need for much paint correction if any on the stang if it was maintained really well. I do the whole car maybe once a year or so an touch up any trouble spots where needed.

I use these two polishes:
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover (for correction)
Wolfgang Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (jeweling polish)

Also for autogeek they do have sales from time to time that can be a good way to load up. Another tip is if you order from them pick up a sample of compound if you want some on hand just in case for a scratch. You likely will never use up all of that sample.

lewdog
03-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Just washed and waxed the Celica today as well.

Hose off the car followed by Optimum no rinse wash in small sections so it doesn't dry.

I have been using Finish Kare 2685 Wax for a few years after getting come containers really cheap. It goes on super smooth and I buff it once with a denser Microfiber and follow it up with a lighter Microfiber to get it super smooth. It's a good wax for the money and I have two of these containers which look like they will last forever as it's very minimal application with how well the product spreads. Has a great reflective finish that I like. A few reviews have people using it on dark cars with good results as well. I've layered it over Finish Kare Sealant in the past and both products held up very well last year when I did it. Not sure how respected their products are but they seem to have worked well in taking care of my Celica.

http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-2685-wax.html

Not bad for 15 year old daily driver that spent half it's life ungaraged. Of course I am gonna miss taking car of a silver car. :(

http://i.imgur.com/yzZVDGX.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/4Z5ad3U.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/MeiemD9.jpg?1

lewdog
03-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Mobile detailing. Ask somebody...

The plan if for me to do this, not some other SOB who can mess it up. I'd rather that be me!

Plus I'm not working with a 2015 Chevy Silverado here! :D

vailpass
03-14-2015, 04:17 PM
The plan if for me to do this, not some other SOB who can mess it up. I'd rather that be me!

Plus I'm not working with a 2015 Chevy Silverado here! :D

Feeling you brotha, I'm a lazy sob when it comes to that...saw the new corvette when I was in the show room now having a midlife crisis. Hope your new ride is smooth.

lewdog
03-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Feeling you brotha, I'm a lazy sob when it comes to that...saw the new corvette when I was in the show room now having a midlife crisis. Hope your new ride is smooth.

I actually really enjoy it. Open up the garage, put some tunes on, chat with the neighbors if they go by, enjoy the fucking awesome weather were we live. It's relaxing and I don't mind doing something on a car every few months outside of a normal wash. I'll probably wax the Stang every 2-3 months here.

ROFL
This isn't even new! It's 10 damn years old. But sure more fun to drive than anything else I have ever driven and maybe my last fun car for a while.

vailpass
03-14-2015, 04:23 PM
I actually really enjoy it. Open up the garage, put some tunes on, chat with the neighbors if they go by, enjoy the ****ing awesome weather were we live. It's relaxing and I don't mind doing something on a car every few months outside of a normal wash. I'll probably wax the Stang every 2-3 months here.

ROFL

This isn't even new! It's 10 damn years old. But sure more fun to drive than anything else I have ever driven and maybe my last fun car for a while.

Aces on the weather. This time of year is why we live here. Good on you. I don't have neighbors within talking distance but that sounds nice.

lewdog
03-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Exactly as you assumed. You only want to correct when you have to and do your best to maintain when washing. All polish contain at least some micro-abrasives but you just want enough to do the job. The pad will also be a factor in the amount of cut as well.

Should be no need for much paint correction if any on the stang if it was maintained really well. I do the whole car maybe once a year or so an touch up any trouble spots where needed.

I use these two polishes:
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover (for correction)
Wolfgang Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (jeweling polish)

Also for autogeek they do have sales from time to time that can be a good way to load up. Another tip is if you order from them pick up a sample of compound if you want some on hand just in case for a scratch. You likely will never use up all of that sample.

So that Wolfgang swirl remover you put on with a polisher and cutting pad and do that once per year? Followed by the finishing glaze? It says aggressive swirl remover.

If it's an aggressive polish that can only be used once per year, what do you do for swirl marks during the year or do you minimize them by continually washing and waxing?
How often do you wax in between?

Maybe I am over-estimating the amount of clear coat you remove by polishing? It just doesn't seem like there is a consistent answer for how often you need/can polish, although I realize that's based on how your paint is holding up.

Part of the attraction to the Zaino products, now more than ever, is their non-abrasive nature. I'm not thinking I'll need to do pain correction. So it's layers of non-abrasive polish to decrease what I can assume will be light swirl marks followed by a wax. They even recommend on their site to use abrasive compounds only once you've tried other methods of correction.

Their steps go Z-5 which is car polish for fine scratches and swirl marks. They claim non-abrasive fillers that can be layered 2-3 times over a dark colored car and will decrease these fine marks unlike other abrasive polish compounds where you couldn't layer because they have cleaners and oils in them.

I would think with a very fine polishing pad it could help in applying this polish without damaging the clearcoat but might make the application of 2-3 layers less fatiguing on the old arms.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=Z-5

They then recommend following that with their Z-2 to lock in that polished shine of Z-5. Seems to me they are considering their Z-2 to a polish in name only but seems like a wax as they claim that's the last step? That's the only confusing part.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=Z-2

They also make a moderate/heavy paint cleaner but recommend this as last step secondary to issues we've mentioned. Again, they recommend layering their non-abrasive polish to hide fine marks/swirls over using an abrasive product. Less abrasive the better until you actually need to correct the paint. They make this very clear and that was good for me to hear because I wasn't really understanding polish before reading some things today.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=Z-PC

Another option for compounds would be Meguiar's #9 glaze/swirl remover. Looks fairly non-abrasive and could be used with light cutting polishing pad.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SQVX0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I3BMJPQC14P7W9

Follow that with their Black Wax product.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OBW29S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I2M5W8ZF5PGSX3

stevieray
03-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Aluminum foli cleans chrome like a boss.

SAUTO
03-14-2015, 06:41 PM

I drove one yesterday, a customer picked his up and stopped at the shop. Told me to take it out.

I was impressed.

Miles
03-14-2015, 06:41 PM
So that Wolfgang swirl remover you put on with a polisher and cutting pad and do that once per year? Followed by the finishing glaze? It says aggressive swirl remover.

If it's an aggressive polish that can only be used once per year, what do you do for swirl marks during the year or do you minimize them by continually washing and waxing?

Maybe I am over-estimating the amount of clear coat you remove by polishing? It just doesn't seem like there is a consistent answer for how often you need/can polish, although I realize that's based on how your paint is holding up.
[/url]

More that I only strip it all down as use once per year due to the effort it takes. I will do stuff like the hood more often and try not too look at everything with a critical eye.

Figuring out how abrasive a polish was the last time I heavily ready up on this was tough. That Wolfgang Swirl Remover is not terribly abrasive but you need that level to get out your typical surface micro scratches.

Also there isn't a way to polish out scratches without at lest a little abrasion. With a black car it's much tougher to hide them since you really do see everything.

Have never tried Zaino products but anything that is a polish will have some abrasion which is not a bad thing. If it don't abrade its some kind of filler that ins't a polish.

KC native
03-14-2015, 06:52 PM

I don't have time to go through the individual products.

The amount of clear you take off depends on how abrasive the polish and pad are. There are heavy correction pads and polishes and lighter ones. You more then likely will be able to use a relatively non-abrasive polish because the car has been taken care of.

I polish twice a year but I use a very light polish and a light cutting pad on my Speed. I have a heavy correction polish for my wife's car because its paint is fucked.

lewdog
03-14-2015, 07:04 PM
I don't have time to go through the individual products.

The amount of clear you take off depends on how abrasive the polish and pad are. There are heavy correction pads and polishes and lighter ones. You more then likely will be able to use a relatively non-abrasive polish because the car has been taken care of.

I polish twice a year but I use a very light polish and a light cutting pad on my Speed. I have a heavy correction polish for my wife's car because its paint is fucked.
Ok makes sense. So do you wax in between your two polishes or no? Or is it just those two polishes a year with washes and quick detail wax between polishes?

KC native
03-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Ok makes sense. So do you wax in between your two polishes or no? Or is it just those two polishes a year with washes and quick detail wax between polishes?

I'll occasionally wax in between. I usually don't need to wax again though.

That's one of the reasons I highly recommend the Chemical Guys stuff. It lasts quite a while.

My process, usually in early spring and late fall, is clay bar, polish, paint sealant, then wax. Usually my wife bitches at me when I go through it because she doesn't think the car needs that level of work again.

BigRedChief
03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
What about the paint sealer line? Getting a new car and want to use some kind of sealant on the new paint. Cquartz? What else?

vailpass
03-15-2015, 05:23 PM
I drove one yesterday, a customer picked his up and stopped at the shop. Told me to take it out.

I was impressed.

I viewed the white one with black leather and red trim, fully manual I think 7 speed. ****ing tits.

SAUTO
03-15-2015, 05:36 PM
I viewed the white one with black leather and red trim, fully manual I think 7 speed. ****ing tits.

This one was an awesome blue with black trim. Manual.

Yeah it was pretty fucking nice

lewdog
04-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Two n00b questions. I like learning and I know I'll need to be close to a perfectionist here.

1. What is the best way to remove spots of road grime and bird shit without having to wash the car every few days? Water and let it soak to soften it, then microfiber? Another product? Quick detailer?

2. Since we are tinting the windows, I am also thinking about doing 3M film on the front hood to decrease rock chips and not use that bra which can collect dust and scratch the paint. Can you polish or wax the 3M film since it will show scratches as well? Is it safe against oxidation in the Phoenix heat and discoloration?

Thanks

xoxo
Lewdog

KC native
04-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Two n00b questions. I like learning and I know I'll need to be close to a perfectionist here.

1. What is the best way to remove spots of road grime and bird shit without having to wash the car every few days? Water and let it soak to soften it, then microfiber? Another product? Quick detailer?

2. Since we are tinting the windows, I am also thinking about doing 3M film on the front hood to decrease rock chips and not use that bra which can collect dust and scratch the paint. Can you polish or wax the 3M film since it will show scratches as well? Is it safe against oxidation in the Phoenix heat and discoloration?

Thanks

xoxo
Lewdog

My friend has the film on his CTS-V and I hate it. You can see where it stops from a ways away.

lewdog
04-07-2015, 09:09 PM
My friend has the film on his CTS-V and I hate it. You can see where it stops from a ways away.

Yea I've heard that too. Almost have to clean the lines around it with a Q-tip I've heard as well. I was going to do whole hood though not just front if I do it. Which might decrease a big line showing on the front of your hood. Other than that, with leaving it bare I would just take a pounding with rock chips I would think. Or I could leave that ugly ass bra on?

KC native
04-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Yea I've heard that too. Almost have to clean the lines around it with a Q-tip I've heard as well. I was going to do whole hood though not just front if I do it. Which might decrease a big line showing on the front of your hood. Other than that, with leaving it bare I would just take a pounding with rock chips I would think. Or I could leave that ugly ass bra on?

Saw a plaque at a car show that said, "It might have scratches. It might have knicks. But one thing is for sure, I drive this bitch."

That pretty much sums up my philosophy on it.

TrebMaxx
04-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Here is a tip for road tar. Gently rub some peanut butter onto the tar and it will breakdown and wipe off.

Frosty
04-07-2015, 11:56 PM

You can just use quick detailer and a microfiber if the car is still pretty clean.

A safer way would probably be to use Optimum No Rinse (check YouTube for technique).

Miles
04-08-2015, 12:03 AM

Bird shit is the one that needs immediate attention once you see it since it can etch the paint. I keep a bottle of quick detailer and a clean microfiber in my trunk for those.

For other road grime you could likely use a waterless wash but I just tend to let it slide until its time to do a normal wash.

Warpaint69
04-08-2015, 07:27 AM

Lewdog

I use Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless wash. My car is usually is just dusty from either sitting in the garage or road dust from a drive. I also use it instantly after driving to remove bugs.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/EcoSmart_RU_Waterless_Car_Wash_Wax_1_Gal_p/wac_707ru.htm

Warpaint69
04-08-2015, 07:42 AM
I'd still recommend to anyone wanting to do a one step moderate/slight paint correction that diminishes down to polish out to look into Menzerna FG400 with a Lake Country Orange foam flat pad. One product and one kind of pad to correct and polish, doesn't get much easier than that.

I found a beat up slightly oxidized hood off a GMC truck from the mid 2000's and used FG400 and LC Orange pads for some testing. The hood corrected and finished out nearly flawless except for the deeper scratches that would require some wet sanding. I did 5 passes with pressure to the polisher on setting 5 with my griots polisher and then 3 more passes with less pressure each pass, and the last pass only using the weight of the machine itself. I was very pleased with the work time the FG400 allowed. Great product in my opinion.

lewdog
04-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Bird shit is the one that needs immediate attention once you see it since it can etch the paint. I keep a bottle of quick detailer and a clean microfiber in my trunk for those.

For other road grime you could likely use a waterless wash but I just tend to let it slide until its time to do a normal wash.

Ok good to know.

I use Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless wash. My car is usually is just dusty from either sitting in the garage or road dust from a drive. I also use it instantly after driving to remove bugs.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/EcoSmart_RU_Waterless_Car_Wash_Wax_1_Gal_p/wac_707ru.htm

Well that looks like it would work good for doing some quick touchups every few days with bird shit, dust and tree shit. We don't have many trees in the parking lot but I'll find these little yellow dots on my car a lot if the wind blows and they are stuck very lightly, but with just a quick touch, it comes off all together.

vailpass
04-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Ok good to know.

Well that looks like it would work good for doing some quick touchups every few days with bird shit, dust and tree shit. We don't have many trees in the parking lot but I'll find these little yellow dots on my car a lot if the wind blows and they are stuck very lightly, but with just a quick touch, it comes off all together.

I hate those fucking trees...

lewdog
04-08-2015, 08:36 PM
She arrives within the hour!!!

lewdog
04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Welp, she's in my garage. Dirty as fuck and I might need some driving lessons with that Hurst Shifter and just a bit more power compared to my Celica. ROFL

http://i.imgur.com/uAjUyhs.jpg?1

MIAdragon
04-08-2015, 10:01 PM

He got shitty film or a shitty installer.

MIAdragon
04-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Congrats now take off that insane wheel cover and bra stat.

eDave
04-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Welp, she's in my garage. Dirty as **** and I might need some driving lessons with that Hurst Shifter and just a bit more power compared to my Celica. ROFL

Alright! Feels good, huh? Drive the 101 loop. Figure that shit out.

Buehler445
04-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Welp, she's in my garage. Dirty as fuck and I might need some driving lessons with that Hurst Shifter and just a bit more power compared to my Celica. ROFL

It probably doesn't drive well because the trunk is open :D

TrebMaxx
04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Ditto, that steering wheel cover looks like crap. The bra probably does more damage than good.

lewdog
04-09-2015, 02:19 PM

LOL, the wheel cover is insanely hideous. My wife and I laughed so hard about it. I'm not a fan of car bras but this one doesn't look horrible. However, it can easily trap dirt and do more harm than good.

Still not sold on the clear front bra though. Thoughts?

Alright! Feels good, huh? Drive the 101 loop. Figure that shit out.

I only got to drive it a block, plus it was late last night when it arrived. Still felt loads different than any manual I have ever driven. LOL

It probably doesn't drive well because the trunk is open :D

Noted. Fucking wife.

Ditto, that steering wheel cover looks like crap. The bra probably does more damage than good.

Yea I've heard they trap dirty and scratch easily. I will probably be coming off.

lewdog
04-09-2015, 02:20 PM
The car's back end is covered in bugs. It was obviously facing backwards on the semi when it was shipped. What's the safest way to remove all these dead bugs covering a large area?

LoneWolf
04-09-2015, 02:23 PM
The car's back end is covered in bugs. It was obviously facing backwards on the semi when it was shipped. What's the safest way to remove all these dead bugs covering a large area?

60 grit sandpaper and lots of elbow grease. :evil:

lewdog
04-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Also, I have a bottle of that Optimum No rinse wash and I am thinking I'll put some of that mixed with water in a spray bottle and that will be my daily touch up for bird shit and dust on the car.

lewdog
04-09-2015, 02:25 PM

Ok, I'll stop by ACE after the gym and grab some.

Thanks!

Indian Chief
04-09-2015, 03:48 PM

Stoner's Tarminator always worked well for me. But if you have mineral spirits or WD-40 already around the house, those work like magic as well. They will not harm your paint.

Indian Chief
04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
I tried to post some pictures of my car with the clear bra, but I can't unfortunately.

ChiefsPlanet requires new members to meet certain criteria before posting links or images.

lewdog
04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Stoner's Tarminator always worked well for me. But if you have mineral spirits or WD-40 already around the house, those work like magic as well. They will not harm your paint.

Yea I don't have any special bug remover and I'm about to get ready to clean it. WD-40 huh??? I'll try it, get it clean, then rinse it off again on that section.

lewdog
04-09-2015, 08:49 PM

So I tried your method near the back end where it wasn't super dirty to start and it scratched the fuck out of my paint! Like dude, were you joking about this working well?!?!?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Black%20BMW%20745/BlackBMW745_Scratches1.jpg

TrebMaxx
04-09-2015, 08:53 PM
So I tried your method near the back end where it wasn't super dirty to start and it scratched the **** out of my paint! Like dude, were you joking about this working well?!?!?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Black%20BMW%20745/BlackBMW745_Scratches1.jpg

Looks like you got the bugs off! ROFL

TrebMaxx
04-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Plus since you have the "Back to the Future" shit figured out just go back to before you did that.

Time's Yours
04-09-2015, 09:40 PM
So I tried your method near the back end where it wasn't super dirty to start and it scratched the fuck out of my paint! Like dude, were you joking about this working well?!?!?

Holy shit. I wondered when he said that...

TrebMaxx
04-09-2015, 09:50 PM
01-11-2007

Buehler445
04-09-2015, 09:56 PM

Holy fuck. You didn't actually do that, did you?

Buzz
04-09-2015, 10:01 PM
:facepalm: you did 60 grit on your paint? Wow, clay bar and wax.

Time's Yours
04-10-2015, 08:16 AM
01-11-2007

Different garage floor too.

MIAdragon
04-10-2015, 08:32 AM
And it changed to a BMW

lewdog
04-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Holy fuck. You didn't actually do that, did you?

I love that I come off as such a dumbass to do something like that!

And it changed to a BMW

I knew I wouldn't have you on this joke. ROFL

lewdog
04-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Got a first wash in yesterday as it was dirty and buggy from being on that semi for 3 days. Pretty crazy what shows up on black but I can watch the Royals on the laptop in the garage so that a win. Can't believe this car is 10 years old. She's loud as fuck too. I learned my FIL removed to muffler along with the addition of the Lunati Cams.

And yes, my car WILL ALWAYS BE GARAGED when I am not at work. No exceptions.

http://i.imgur.com/uEXlHcS.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/mBt0Dxu.jpg?1

MIAdragon
04-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Looks pimp brother, nice ride.

TrebMaxx
04-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Come on man!! Take that damn steering wheel cover off! Would have been the first thing I did.

Looks great though, congrats and enjoy!

lewdog
04-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Come on man!! Take that damn steering wheel cover off! Would have been the first thing I did.

Looks great though, congrats and enjoy!

I did right after the pictures. I left it on just for the pictures so you guys could bitch some more! ROFL

TrebMaxx
04-10-2015, 10:53 PM
I did right after the pictures. I left it on just for the pictures so you guys could bitch some more! ROFL

Thank you!!:thumb:

Buehler445
04-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Looks great man. Really great.

I can't believe I fell for the sandpaper thing. That was well played. :doh!:

Miles
04-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Pics look really good. Nice work getting it shipped to you rather than waiting and driving it back.

lewdog
04-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Looks great man. Really great.

I can't believe I fell for the sandpaper thing. That was well played. :doh!:

I am a pretty big n00b so I can see how you fell for it.

Pics look really good. Nice work getting it shipped to you rather than waiting and driving it back.

Yea it was much better. My wife was getting impatient and she arranged all the shipping. Was quick and painless.

Bearcat
04-11-2015, 10:01 AM
That was great. LMAO

Congrats... I washed mine all the freakin' time when I first got it, and for that reason I'm kind of glad to get away from black. But, it does look pretty damn sharp, and well, I'm washing the new one just as much. :D

BigRedChief
04-11-2015, 10:10 AM
That was great. LMAO

Congrats... I washed mine all the freakin' time when I first got it, and for that reason I'm kind of glad to get away from black. But, it does look pretty damn sharp, and well, I'm washing the new one just as much. :DHey you took delivery of the blue BMW? Wheres the damn pics!

LoneWolf
04-11-2015, 10:12 AM
So I tried your method near the back end where it wasn't super dirty to start and it scratched the **** out of my paint! Like dude, were you joking about this working well?!?!?

Posts like this are why you are one of my favorite posters here. I can't believe you got a few people to fall for it. Well played, sir. :D

Bearcat
04-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Hey you took delivery of the blue BMW? Wheres the damn pics!

Well, I'd have to wash it first...

I have a couple crappy cell phone pics in the rain (it actually started hailing while we were sitting in the car going over stuff inside their dealer delivery room), but I'll see what I can do. And speaking of hail, it actually got hailed on for about 20 seconds the other day, but it was really small hail that didn't do any damage... I'm going to need a carport at work.

BigRedChief
04-11-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm going to need a carport at work.ROFL

vailpass
04-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Welp, she's in my garage. Dirty as **** and I might need some driving lessons with that Hurst Shifter and just a bit more power compared to my Celica. ROFL

Bondurant.

Bearcat
04-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Hey you took delivery of the blue BMW? Wheres the damn pics!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Car/DSC_3416_zpsggvtdeif.jpg

Probably the best picture for the true color... some pics make it look lighter.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Car/DSC_3418_zpssdauk90f.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Car/DSC_3421_zpszkemgud0.jpg

lewdog
04-11-2015, 07:34 PM
My FIL is telling me to get an oil extractor and oil filter wrench and just chance the oil myself without having to get under the car. That's how he's done it instead of taking the car for someone to do it. He doesn't trust anyone with it. LOL

Anyone else do this? I don't mind taking the time if it works. If it's easier than scheduling an oil change appointment, since we both work full-time, I'm all for it.

BigRedChief
04-11-2015, 07:59 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Car/DSC_3416_zpsggvtdeif.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Car/DSC_3418_zpssdauk90f.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Car/DSC_3421_zpszkemgud0.jpgI love that blue on the BMW. Nice ride!:clap:

Buehler445
04-11-2015, 08:27 PM
My FIL is telling me to get an oil extractor and oil filter wrench and just chance the oil myself without having to get under the car. That's how he's done it instead of taking the car for someone to do it. He doesn't trust anyone with it. LOL

Anyone else do this? I don't mind taking the time if it works. If it's easier than scheduling an oil change appointment, since we both work full-time, I'm all for it.

I always jack the bastard up and do it from the bottom. So I can't speak to the oil extractor. Besides that 2 of the 3 vehicles we have can't get to the filter from the top. At all.

I do mine. And have done every quart since I bought my first car at 14. It's not bad.

Bearcat
04-11-2015, 08:40 PM
I love that blue on the BMW. Nice ride!:clap:

Everything about it is awesome.

I guess since we're in a car care thread, I'll mention the dealer showed me a picture of some brake dust covered wheels as a warning to clean them fairly often.... hadn't ever given it a thought, but I guess it's an issue with softer brake pads. I never put much of an effort at all in cleaning the wheels of the Chevy, but after just a few weeks, they were fairly dusty.

Buehler445
04-11-2015, 09:48 PM

I guess since we're in a car care thread, I'll mention the dealer showed me a picture of some brake dust covered wheels as a warning to clean them fairly often.... hadn't ever given it a thought, but I guess it's an issue with softer brake pads. I never put much of an effort at all in cleaning the wheels of the Chevy, but after just a few weeks, they were fairly dusty.

It's really bad for you maniac assed city drivers.

TrebMaxx
04-11-2015, 09:51 PM

This is the truth. BMW pads are high performance and will shed dust like crazy. As soon as mine are ready for replacement I will be switching from the OEM BMW pads.

lewdog
04-12-2015, 07:51 AM

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Car/DSC_3421_zpszkemgud0.jpg

Wait, is that yours? That's my favorite paint color ever put on a vehicle. Love it.

Bearcat
04-12-2015, 08:25 AM
This is the truth. BMW pads are high performance and will shed dust like crazy. As soon as mine are ready for replacement I will be switching from the OEM BMW pads.

I've read they have to be replaced every 30k miles? If that's the case, I might eventually get an extended warranty.

Wait, is that yours? That's my favorite paint color ever put on a vehicle. Love it.

Yep. :)

jerryforeverrice80
04-12-2015, 08:56 AM
just go buy some dust covers for the back of the wheels you can install them yourself or take it to a shop and pay a half hour labor charge.

lewdog
04-13-2015, 01:44 PM
just go buy some dust covers for the back of the wheels you can install them yourself or take it to a shop and pay a half hour labor charge.

Not sure if serious but those look hideous on the ones I've seen.

Buehler445
04-13-2015, 01:56 PM
OK, this is as good of a place as any.

I bought a pickup this winter that has a leather interior for the first time. Of course in my profession it is dirty. Any care tips for leather interior?

lewdog
04-13-2015, 01:57 PM

I bought a pickup this winter that has a leather interior for the first time. Of course in my profession it is dirty. Any care tips for leather interior?

Perfect spot for this. I've also never owned a car with leather so this is a first for me as well.

MIAdragon
04-13-2015, 02:12 PM

need more specifics and pics.

MIAdragon
04-13-2015, 02:15 PM

Good god you go weeks between cleaning your wheels?! I can't stand dirty wheels I may see 3 days between cleaning. Im going to have mine opti coated the next time I have them apart, will make them easier to clean and longer between cleanings.

KC native
04-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Pick up a wheel wax.

The pads on my Speed3 throw off a stupid amount of dust as well. I picked up Chemical Guys wheel wax and it makes regularly washing them a breeze.

KC native
04-13-2015, 02:19 PM

Perfect spot for this. I've also never owned a car with leather so this is a first for me as well.

There are several products out there.

The thing to remember about leather is that it was once living skin. To keep it from drying out and cracking, you need something that has a moisturizer in it.

Most of the nicer products are usually a two step thing. A cleaner and a moisturizer/protectant.

Stay away from the cheap shit for leather care.

frankotank
04-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Thanks

xoxo
Lewdog

pretty late to the party on this one but wtf...
I'm pretty anal about my car. it's badass and I pretty much want it clean as much as possible. I too have detailer and a collection of microfiber towels with me....BUT...even when my car is clean, being a dark blue, if I clean some bird shit off I've made a very noticeable "clean spot". and I just can't have that! :D
I can literally wash my car, shammy it, drive it two miles home....and it's dusty. so I purchased a california duster from oreillys for about 15 bucks. if your car is clean to begin with, you can dust it off in about 2 minutes with this thing. it's a must have. wipe the shit....dust the car....and SPLADDOW! you won't be caught ridin' dirty.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/73/15/22/62/0073152262443_500X500.jpg

lewdog
04-13-2015, 03:13 PM
pretty late to the party on this one but wtf...
I'm pretty anal about my car. it's badass and I pretty much want it clean as much as possible. I too have detailer and a collection of microfiber towels with me....BUT...even when my car is clean, being a dark blue, if I clean some bird shit off I've made a very noticeable "clean spot". and I just can't have that! :D
I can literally wash my car, shammy it, drive it two miles home....and it's dusty. so I purchased a california duster from oreillys for about 15 bucks. if your car is clean to begin with, you can dust it off in about 2 minutes with this thing. it's a must have. wipe the shit....dust the car....and SPLADDOW! you won't be caught ridin' dirty.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/73/15/22/62/0073152262443_500X500.jpg

I'm going through all the shit my FIL brought down for the car and found this below. So that's what this is, a duster? You really wanna drag that across a dusty paint surface?

lewdog
04-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Pick up a wheel wax.

The pads on my Speed3 throw off a stupid amount of dust as well. I picked up Chemical Guys wheel wax and it makes regularly washing them a breeze.

Some just wax their wheels with their paint wax. I'll probably do that a few times a year. I've heard cleaning with ammonia free Windex works well for spot touch-ups.

There are several products out there.

The thing to remember about leather is that it was once living skin. To keep it from drying out and cracking, you need something that has a moisturizer in it.

Most of the nicer products are usually a two step thing. A cleaner and a moisturizer/protectant.

Stay away from the cheap shit for leather care.

I'm going with the Chemical guys set for leather car.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TJ3HUG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I3KV1C0APOR4FS&psc=1

KC native
04-13-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm going through all the shit my FIL brought down for the car and found this below. So that's what this is, a duster? You really wanna drag that across a dusty paint surface?

Buy a new one. The one you have is toast.

When they're new, they have a slight charge that attracts dust and keeps it from being dragged across the paint. Once they get full, you have to change them out.

KC native
04-13-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm going with the Chemical guys set for leather car.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TJ3HUG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3APQE7GUDTKBY&coliid=I3KV1C0APOR4FS&psc=1

I use the conditioner and love it. I haven't needed the cleaner because my car has a minimal amount of leather and I've never allowed it to get dirty.

Bearcat
04-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Pick up a wheel wax.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll probably try some wheel wax first, and maybe consider covers over the winter when I'll be lazier about cleaning them.

Good god you go weeks between cleaning your wheels?! I can't stand dirty wheels I may see 3 days between cleaning. Im going to have mine opti coated the next time I have them apart, will make them easier to clean and longer between cleanings.

Heh, I'd say I don't have time for that shit, but I guess it would only take a few minutes... guess I've never had wheels nice enough to care, but the difference in dust was a bit of an eye opener.

lewdog
04-13-2015, 03:52 PM
And I decided against the 3M clear bra stuff. Seems like you are putting something on that protects your paint but will likely cause some issues solely related to looks anyway. Reading reviews it seems like half like it and half don't. Many issues with discoloration to opaque or yellowish after only 1-2 years. I'm worried about that happening in this heat. Still shows rock dings in the film, although it's not your paint I guess, but it's still unsightly whether it's in the paint or the film. Sounds like quite a chore to keep wax buildup out of the edging of film so you don't have a "glowing" car. I'll take my chances instead of spending close to $700 for part of the hood and front bumper, as these are the quotes I'm getting. Might as well save that money to repaint the car if it came down to that after a few years.

lewdog
04-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Just got off phone to schedule my window tinting. Lifetime warranty on pealing and bubbles with black limousine tinting on rear window and 35% on side widows for $150. Prices for window tinting were much higher a decade ago. That's awesome!

Indian Chief
04-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Some just wax their wheels with their paint wax. I'll probably do that a few times a year.

Don't bother. Wax is unable to withstand the heat from the brakes and the corrosive brake dust. The first drive you take after waxing the wheels will take the wax right off. You need something like a polymer polish, such as Nu Finish. It is better able to withstand the harsh conditions near the wheels, and polymer polish has the advantage of removing some of the oxidation and contaminants from wheels or paint. I personally put a coat of polish on my paint before putting a carnuba wax on top. The polish helps me clean up the paint and gives a layer of protection. The wax gives me depth/shine.

lewdog
04-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Don't bother. Wax is unable to withstand the heat from the brakes and the corrosive brake dust. The first drive you take after waxing the wheels will take the wax right off. You need something like a polymer polish, such as Nu Finish. It is better able to withstand the harsh conditions near the wheels, and polymer polish has the advantage of removing some of the oxidation and contaminants from wheels or paint. I personally put a coat of polish on my paint before putting a carnuba wax on top. The polish helps me clean up the paint and gives a layer of protection. The wax gives me depth/shine.

So a synthetic wax, not just a carnuba wax, would work on the wheels?

And yes, seems like even a non-abrasive or mildly abrasive polish before waxing preps the paint the best for a wax, right?

Indian Chief
04-13-2015, 04:31 PM
So a synthetic wax, not just a carnuba wax, would work on the wheels?

And yes, seems like even a non-abrasive or mildly abrasive polish before waxing preps the paint the best for a wax, right?

If it's a polymer, then it should work just fine. It's mostly that carnuba isn't particularly tough. It looks like money right after you put it on, but it does't have staying power.

Polishes are great for prepping the paint. And you don't need anything abrasive. By their nature a polymer will clean up some of the paint. If you have the time, I definitely recommend putting polish down before a coat of wax. Keep in mind though, that polish will pretty much take off whatever is on the paint (wax, other coats of polish). So it isn't necessary to do it every time. I usually put polish on every couple of months and in between just wash and occasionally wax.

The other good thing about polish is that it helps buff out those 60 grit sandpaper scratches. :D

MIAdragon
04-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Just got off phone to schedule my window tinting. Lifetime warranty on pealing and bubbles with black limousine tinting on rear window and 35% on side widows for $150. Prices for window tinting were much higher a decade ago. That's awesome!

They are still high, you need to look into the type/brand of tint. The solar rejection and color retention. I can tell you at that price level they quoted you a bottom shelf tint with minimal solar rejection that will turn purple in a year. Get a decent tint, do it once.

IIRC I had a windshield done with a decent ceramic tint last year and paid around 200.

lewdog
04-13-2015, 06:10 PM
They are still high, you need to look into the type/brand of tint. The solar rejection and color retention. I can tell you at that price level they quoted you a bottom shelf tint with minimal solar rejection that will turn purple in a year. Get a decent tint, do it once.

IIRC I had a windshield done with a decent ceramic tint last year and paid around 200.

Wait, they are quoting me too high or too low? $150 was for whole car. Are you saying that's bottom shelf tint?

I know they use 3M tint and Llumar but not sure which kind. I think it's the Color Stable by 3M. I'll ask tomorrow.

BigRedChief
04-13-2015, 08:44 PM
I love that blue on the BMW. Nice ride!:clap:This is the new blue on the Scat Pack Shaker. Not even close to the quality of your blue.http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/8835th/MyChallenger011214002_zpse82f0c5e.jpg

Buehler445
04-13-2015, 09:00 PM

2010 GMC Sierra 1500.
Tan leather interior.
No grease or anything. Just dust and Dog dander. Chief dog goes to work with me every day.

If you have to have it, I can get a picture tomorrow.

KC native
04-13-2015, 10:45 PM

I don't use a carnuba wax on my wheels. I use this.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Wheel_Guard_Rim_Wheel_Sealant_8_oz_p/wac_303.htm

Indian Chief
04-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Haven't used it myself, but it looks good. According to their description it is polymer based.

frankotank
04-14-2015, 07:41 AM

Buy a new one. The one you have is toast.

When they're new, they have a slight charge that attracts dust and keeps it from being dragged across the paint. Once they get full, you have to change them out.

yeah KC is right. I'm on my second one.
I only use it if the car is clean but dusty. I waxed it last week. on dark blue paint you see the dust. that dang thing takes it right off and I kid you not it looks once again like it did when I had just finished waxing it.
if it's more than just dusty....got actual dirt behind the wheels and what not....don't use it.

Warpaint69
04-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Being a daily driver Kansas work truck, I would suggest purchasing a horse hair brush to help loosen dirt on the leather surface. This kit here from Adams will get the job done.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/interior/cleaning-conditioning/adam-s-leather-kit.html

Adam's is a little more pricey, I've used Chemical Guys cleaner and conditioner and haven't be disappointed. And its more reasonably priced.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Leather_Care_Kit_16_oz_2_Pack_p/spi_109_16.htm

I honestly purchase the leather cleaner by the gallon, I use considerably more cleaner than conditioner. I know the Chemical Guys conditioner contains UV protection.

If your leather seats are a tan or grey over time you will notice the transfer of blue jean dye to the leather surface. I've had to use the following product to totally get it out before.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Leather-Master-Dye-Transfer-Remover--Denim-Stain-Remover_p_1079.html

lewdog
04-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Called back and they do ceramic llumar for $300 on that car. Reviews on that brand seem good.

MIAdragon
04-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Called back and they do ceramic llumar for $300 on that car. Reviews on that brand seem good.

The CTX is quality tint, great choice. I'd also recommend having the windshield done in clear ceramic well worth it IMO.

lewdog
04-14-2015, 12:17 PM
The CTX is quality tint, great choice. I'd also recommend having the windshield done in clear ceramic well worth it IMO.

Good news. Thanks. What's the point of clear tint, just heat reduction?

BigRedChief
04-14-2015, 12:39 PM
The CTX is quality tint, great choice. I'd also recommend having the windshield done in clear ceramic well worth it IMO.Who's the good retailer you know in my area?

BigRedChief
04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
What about the clear bra/film that some are putting on their cars? Anyone ever do that?

MIAdragon
04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Who's the good retailer you know in my area?

Damit, I keep forgetting to pm you that detailer

lewdog
04-14-2015, 01:40 PM
What about the clear bra/film that some are putting on their cars? Anyone ever do that?

I mentioned it a few posts up. Seems like mixed reviews. Many note oxidation. Others wax buildup around edges that takes extra time to remove. Still shows most rock dings. I'm saving that money and not doing it. I'd repaint it for that money if it ever got bad enough which would take years anyway.

lewdog
04-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll probably try some wheel wax first, and maybe consider covers over the winter when I'll be lazier about cleaning them.

Heh, I'd say I don't have time for that shit, but I guess it would only take a few minutes... guess I've never had wheels nice enough to care, but the difference in dust was a bit of an eye opener.

Hey Bearcat, you garaging that thing or using a car port?

KC native
04-14-2015, 03:25 PM

On my friend's car that has it. You can clearly see where it is. He's had a somewhat difficult time keeping the paint under the film and the paint not under the film looking the same.

MIAdragon
04-14-2015, 04:43 PM
On my friend's car that has it. You can clearly see where it is. He's had a somewhat difficult time keeping the paint under the film and the paint not under the film looking the same.

He got shitty film and a poor install.

Can you see the lines on this car?

http://www.autopia.org/forums/pro-detailer-specialties-training-seminars-news/174768-xpel-ultimate-frontal-bra-iinstall-f10-bmw-m5-unique-car-care.html

lewdog
04-14-2015, 05:17 PM

http://www.autopia.org/forums/pro-detailer-specialties-training-seminars-news/174768-xpel-ultimate-frontal-bra-iinstall-f10-bmw-m5-unique-car-care.html

You definitely can't see it if installed right but I keep reading reviews from people in high heat climates that the color of it will likely fade within a few years. And since I'm in Phoenix, that just doesn't make sense. Some are claiming that while there is a warranty if it changes color, sometimes with removal there have been cases of these clear protections taking away some of the paint or causing the color of the paint to change since it's porous. Again, I'm just reading things about it. Some do love it and swear by it.

MIAdragon
04-14-2015, 06:33 PM
You definitely can't see it if installed right but I keep reading reviews from people in high heat climates that the color of it will likely fade within a few years. And since I'm in Phoenix, that just doesn't make sense. Some are claiming that while there is a warranty if it changes color, sometimes with removal there have been cases of these clear protections taking away some of the paint or causing the color of the paint to change since it's porous. Again, I'm just reading things about it. Some do love it and swear by it.

Thats why Id go with a coating like opti coat or cquartz.

lewdog
04-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Thats why Id go with a coating like opti coat or cquartz.

You have a link to the opti-coat? Both easy enough for a n00b like me to not fuck it up?

MIAdragon
04-14-2015, 06:52 PM
You have a link to the opti-coat? Both easy enough for a n00b like me to not **** it up?

Hmm it cant be rocket science right?

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZaJ_56M08_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
04-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Hmm it cant be rocket science right?

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZaJ_56M08_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks very interesting and easy! I think I might go that route and then wax over every few months with Megiuars NXT Wax.

lewdog
04-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Alright, so I think this is my plan in the next few weeks. I'll spend some weekend doing this.

Wash car with Dawn to remove all wax/sealant. Clay bar car to smooth surface. Use mildly abrasive Menzerna's final polish (FF 3000) to remove minor swirls, clean off polish residue with 15% IPA mixture, apply Optimum Gloss coat. Allow to cure overnight and top with Meguiar's NXT Wax.

BigRedChief
04-14-2015, 09:27 PM
You have a link to the opti-coat? Both easy enough for a n00b like me to not fuck it up?I think more people like the cquartz and I'm going to have someone color correct my car and them put on the cquartz. wellll maybe if Miadragon ever gives me his detail contact.:rolleyes:

KC native
04-14-2015, 09:29 PM

His problem is he only got the first 1/4 of the car and he got it done about 3-4 years ago.

Bearcat
04-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Hey Bearcat, you garaging that thing or using a car port?

I have a garage. I'll probably get a cheap pickup or something for bad weather days and hauling shit... granted, the previous car was hailed on a few times and it always popped out in the summer.

Warpaint69
04-15-2015, 05:40 AM
Alright, so I think this is my plan in the next few weeks. I'll spend some weekend doing this.

Wash car with Dawn to remove all wax/sealant. Clay bar car to smooth surface. Use mildly abrasive Menzerna's final polish (FF 3000) to remove minor swirls, clean off polish residue with 15% IPA mixture, apply Optimum Gloss coat. Allow to cure overnight and top with Meguiar's NXT Wax.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuzion-carnauba-polymer-car-wax.html
(http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuzion-carnauba-polymer-car-wax.html)

Its pricey, but some of the best wax for dark colors. :thumb:

lewdog
04-15-2015, 04:02 PM
At tint shop. Getting ceramic on front window also. Said it can save heat and dash cracking down here.

lewdog
04-15-2015, 04:20 PM
And did someone mention changing out the gears would change the speedometer? Because I'm pretty sure it's off by around 10 MPH when I match to speed on gps. What kind of fix is this?

BigRedChief
04-15-2015, 05:00 PM
At time shop. Getting ceramic on front window also. Said it can save heat and dash cracking down here.I'll be getting the ceramic tint also.

lewdog
04-15-2015, 05:06 PM
I'll be getting the ceramic tint also.

Tint shop you dunce lewdog! Edited.

Yea looks to be the best. Reasonable here too. Lots of shops so good pricing. Very light tint on front that many do here but is illegal I guess. Looks like you can barely see it. Since I'm second owner I'll just pretend I had no idea it was on there. Although I doubt they'll be any problems. :D

BigRedChief
04-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Tint shop you dunce lewdog! Edited.

Yea looks to be the best. Reasonable here too. Lots of shops so good pricing. Very light tint on front that many do here but is illegal I guess. Looks like you can barely see it. Since I'm second owner I'll just pretend I had no idea it was on there. Although I doubt they'll be any problems. :DMy car will come with 5% tint. I can go up to 28% legally. It adds up. I have to go with 35% ceramic tint to stay legal.

I'm going to be driving a big honking car that cops can't miss and will probably single out. Not going to give them any excuses. Let them measure. I'll be on my way sir.

lewdog
04-15-2015, 05:15 PM
My car will come with 5% tint. I can go up to 28% legally. It adds up. I have to go with 35% ceramic tint to stay legal.

I'm going to be driving a big honking car that cops can't miss and will probably single out. Not going to give them any excuses. Let them measure. I'll be on my way sir.

I'm doing dark limo 5% on rear, 35% on side. That's all legal here.

BigRedChief
04-15-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm doing dark limo 5% on rear, 35% on side. That's all legal here.yeah, I think the rear is fair game for any level here too. Front and sides are whats regulated.

lewdog
04-15-2015, 05:31 PM
yeah, I think the rear is fair game for any level here too. Front and sides are whats regulated.

The front windshield will be product called llumar air blue 80%. Very light tint so I'm not sure how anyone would notice. Then again my FIL put it on there and I never even knew it was on there. :D

lewdog
04-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Well, she's done. Much better. Cannot tell at all there's tint on the front window. Tinting makes any car sleeker looking.

thabear04
04-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Any good products to use on the headlights to restore them.

lewdog
04-15-2015, 09:25 PM

Mothers plastic polish gets good reviews for that. Cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00068KU1K/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1429154755&sr=8-1&keywords=mothers+plastic+polish&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=419SoQS3k9L&ref=plSrch

Miles
04-15-2015, 09:38 PM

Depends how bad the are. If they have a haze or heavy scratching then you likely need a headlight restoration kit with sanding/polishing discs. I used a 3M kit a while back and results were really good.

thabear04
04-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Depends how bad the are. If they have a haze or heavy scratching then you likely need a headlight restoration kit with sanding/polishing discs. I used a 3M kit a while back and results were really good.

Thanks.

thabear04
04-15-2015, 10:27 PM
Mothers plastic polish gets good reviews for that. Cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00068KU1K/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1429154755&sr=8-1&keywords=mothers+plastic+polish&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=419SoQS3k9L&ref=plSrch

Thanks for the help.

MIAdragon
04-15-2015, 11:58 PM
You need to have them sprayed in a UV resistant clear after or it will yellow again quickly.

MIAdragon
04-15-2015, 11:58 PM
Lew, car looks great!

Miles
04-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Really curious how the Optimum coating works out. Have always wondered if those coatings helped much with all of the micro-scratches black picks up even when you are being really careful.

lewdog
04-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Lew, car looks great!
Except for those wheels, right???!!! ROFL.

happy with the tint. Glad I went ceramic and more expensive. Still affordable though. Thanks for your help.
Really curious how the Optimum coating works out. Have always wondered if those coatings helped much with all of the micro-scratches black picks up even when you are being really careful.

Yea I'm not sure either but gets good reviews. Seems worth a shot over clear bra type stuff for at least some added protection.

This car is in good shape and he's been extra careful, but even in certain lights you'll catch very small surface defects. So light you have to twist your head a certain way to see them. So yea, on black, there will always be some micro scratches especially with daily drivers.

BigRedChief
04-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Really curious how the Optimum coating works out. Have always wondered if those coatings helped much with all of the micro-scratches black picks up even when you are being really careful.Not black but my Mustang had the coating put on back in 2005. 10 years and 144k miles later it looks great.

frankotank
04-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Well, she's done. Much better. Cannot tell at all there's tint on the front window. Tinting makes any car sleeker looking.

sweet!
what kinda horsepower is that thing pumping?

MIAdragon
04-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Not black but my Mustang had the coating put on back in 2005. 10 years and 144k miles later it looks great.

Here is that detailer his name is Gary
813-846-4406

BigRedChief
04-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Here is that detailer his name is Gary
813-846-4406This guy rocks. Anything you want to know about detailing a car, this man figured it out years ago.

He invented his own chemical compound to do the paint sealant better than the cquartz/opti-coat. He is selling it on the internet

Check out the guys you tube channel. Shows you how to properly wash a car, use a claybar etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/premiumdetailfl/videos

He also gave me the name of the top tint guy in the Southwest. They are booked out 3 months in advance during slow times. And these are not slow times. I mentioned Gary referred me and he moved me up to 2 months out. Going to be a couple of months before I take delivery anyway.:(

Thanks man, very good lead.

MIAdragon
04-16-2015, 04:24 PM
This guy rocks. Anything you want to know about detailing a car, this man figured it out years ago.

He invented his own chemical compound to do the paint sealant better than the cquartz/opti-coat. He is selling it on the internet

Check out the guys you tube channel. Shows you how to properly wash a car, use a claybar etc.

He also gave me the name of the top tint guy in the Southwest. They are booked out 3 months in advance during slow times. And these are not slow times. I mentioned Gary referred me and he moved me up to 2 months out. Going to be a couple of months before I take delivery anyway.:(

He's a little nutty but knows what he's doing.

lewdog
04-16-2015, 05:09 PM
sweet!
what kinda horsepower is that thing pumping?

You're asking the wrong dude! LOL.

I'm not sure and not sure I'll pay to find out. I could ask my FIL but not sure he knows either. ROFL

stonedstooge
04-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Hey lewdog: check out my black Trans Am after 30 minutes of work. I live 2.5 miles from pavement so you can imagine how much dust and dirt gets all over my baby. It becomes a labor of love living with a black car.

I've waxed her twice so far this year with Maguires wax made specifically for black cars. I buff it off with a 10" buffer, hit it with the California Duster, and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel.

After driving in a couple of days ago, it was all dusty and had many bugs on the front nose, side of the bumper and mirrors. I dusted it down with the California IMG_0868.jpg Duster, sprayed it with a detailer and wiped down with a microfiber cloth. I let the detailer sit on the bugs for a spell to loosen them up.

Here's what she looks like when done

Not bad for a lady that will turn 20 this fall

Shit, can't get photos to load right now. When I got a new computer that had Windows 7 I haven't figured out how to get pictures to appear in my post. Anyone have some help?

Time's Yours
04-17-2015, 05:35 PM
What do you guys to for carbon fiber on the inside of the car? Is it typically clear coated how a hood would be?

My seat backs have lost their shine and are pretty rough to the touch. You think just clay and wax them?

BigRedChief
04-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Hey lewdog: check out my black Trans Am after 30 minutes of work. I live 2.5 miles from pavement so you can imagine how much dust and dirt gets all over my baby. It becomes a labor of love living with a black car.

I've waxed her twice so far this year with Maguires wax made specifically for black cars. I buff it off with a 10" buffer, hit it with the California Duster, and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel.

After driving in a couple of days ago, it was all dusty and had many bugs on the front nose, side of the bumper and mirrors. I dusted it down with the California IMG_0868.jpg Duster, sprayed it with a detailer and wiped down with a microfiber cloth. I let the detailer sit on the bugs for a spell to loosen them up.

Shit, can't get photos to load right now. When I got a new computer that had Windows 7 I haven't figured out how to get pictures to appear in my post. Anyone have some help?They are upside down on your computer. Attaching them doesn't rotate the view.

Sweet looking ride! Even if it is upside down.

MIAdragon
04-17-2015, 09:57 PM
What do you guys to for carbon fiber on the inside of the car? Is it typically clear coated how a hood would be?

My seat backs have lost their shine and are pretty rough to the touch. You think just clay and wax them?

Nope need to be Clayed, compounded and polished then coated.

lewdog
04-17-2015, 10:07 PM

Shit, can't get photos to load right now. When I got a new computer that had Windows 7 I haven't figured out how to get pictures to appear in my post. Anyone have some help?

She looks really good buddy! Sounds like you've got a good system for cleaning. So if you get sticky shit, bugs or tree shit, how long do you let the detailed sit before wiping? Do you let it dry a bit and do you spray the whole car each time?

lewdog
04-17-2015, 10:10 PM

Any link to this? I'm gonna be doing a full cleaning and seal job next week.

Good stuff being shared in here. I'm learning tons!

Bearcat
04-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Lew, car looks great!

Except for those wheels, right???!!! ROFL.

Ever since that was mentioned I've been looking at my wheels and thinking, damn, I need to wash those more often... LMAO

I saw mentions of Sonax, going to give that a shot.

TrebMaxx
04-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Ever since that was mentioned I've been looking at my wheels and thinking, damn, I need to wash those more often... LMAO

You should check out bimmerfest.com and join their forums. A lot of knowledgeable folks over there and threads for you specific model.

lewdog
04-17-2015, 10:29 PM

Good!

My comment was for MIA who said he hated the rims on the mustang. I actually really like them in person, 19", clean as shit, and were hard to acquire back in 2005. And boy do I love to keep them shiny. Ammonia free windex takes the daily dust right off and shines them nice. That was a trick I learned years ago from my girlfriend at the time's father. He used it on some nice rims he had.

Bearcat
04-17-2015, 10:32 PM
You should check out bimmerfest.com and join their forums. A lot of knowledgeable folks over there and threads for you specific model.

It's one of my home tabs, as well as 2addicts. I've been reading up on coding and might give it a shot eventually... a lot of cool tweaks, provided you don't brick your car in the process.

TrebMaxx
04-17-2015, 10:37 PM
It's one of my home tabs, as well as 2addicts. I've been reading up on coding and might give it a shot eventually... a lot of cool tweaks, provided you don't brick your car in the process.

:thumb: Are you Bearcat over there too?

Bearcat
04-17-2015, 11:01 PM
:thumb: Are you Bearcat over there too?

Perfektenschlag (vague reference from The Office (https://youtu.be/S2HhG4-aLH8))... lurk a lot more than post.

What do you drive (besides the bike, I guess)?

TrebMaxx
04-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Perfektenschlag (vague reference from The Office (https://youtu.be/S2HhG4-aLH8))... lurk a lot more than post.

What do you drive (besides the bike, I guess)?

I have a 09 328i. It is now my wife's daily driver because I needed a truck for work. I love getting into the Bimmer when I get a chance because after driving my F-150 Super Crew it is like driving a go cart on steroids! I will say that there is something about BMW and the driving experience, it just feels so right. Congrats on your ride.

Bearcat
04-17-2015, 11:32 PM
I have a 09 328i. It is now my wife's daily driver because I needed a truck for work. I love getting into the Bimmer when I get a chance because after driving my F-150 Super Crew it is like driving a go cart on steroids! I will say that there is something about BMW and the driving experience, it just feels so right. Congrats on your ride.

Thanks, yeah everything about it is awesome. I don't think you can really know great handling until you experience it for yourself. I left it in Comfort mode the first few weeks, not sure I really buy the whole break-in period, but didn't want to beat the shit out of it either... but, now that I've tried out Sport mode more and more, I'm not sure there's any going back. :D

TrebMaxx
04-17-2015, 11:34 PM
Thanks, yeah everything about it is awesome. I don't think you can really know great handling until you experience it for yourself. I left it in Comfort mode the first few weeks, not sure I really buy the whole break-in period, but didn't want to beat the shit out of it either... but, now that I've tried out Sport mode more and more, I'm not sure there's any going back. :D
When I drive mine it is always in DS!

Miles
04-18-2015, 12:11 AM
This guy rocks. Anything you want to know about detailing a car, this man figured it out years ago.

A while back I was reading up on rinseless washes and detailing forums kept mentioning the Gary Dean method. I still use the technique I learned from his youtube vid for washing my car with Optimum No Rinse.

BigRedChief
04-18-2015, 08:09 AM
A while back I was reading up on rinseless washes and detailing forums kept mentioning the Gary Dean method. I still use the technique I learned from his youtube vid for washing my car with Optimum No Rinse.Like Miadragon mentioned when you talk to him he is a little off but as far as detailing a car, he seems to figure out the best way to detail a car.

His youtubes are popular but like you said on the forums he is kind of a legend in the car detailing business. It's kind of cool that he will personally be color correcting and sealing my paint.

MIAdragon
04-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Like Miadragon mentioned when you talk to him he is a little off but as far as detailing a car, he seems to figure out the best way to detail a car.

His youtubes are popular but like you said on the forums he is kind of a legend in the car detailing business. It's kind of cool that he will personally be color correcting and sealing my paint.

Wait until you see him in person, lol.

Time's Yours
04-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Nope need to be Clayed, compounded and polished then coated.

Hmm, hopefully they come out easily.

lewdog
04-18-2015, 06:16 PM
A while back I was reading up on rinseless washes and detailing forums kept mentioning the Gary Dean method. I still use the technique I learned from his youtube vid for washing my car with Optimum No Rinse.

I'm assuming you only do that when the car isn't super dirty, right? I get the theory but you're still removing more dirt on a car with pressure from your hand than you would be with running water on the car first to remove much of the dirt.

MIAdragon
04-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Hmm, hopefully they come out easily.

What car did they come in?

lewdog
04-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Just did a massive order for car care products on Amazon. Wife is going to wonder how I rung up that total and boy does it add up quickly!

Time's Yours
04-18-2015, 11:13 PM
What car did they come in?

99 360. It looks pretty simple. They're fully manual, so no wires or motors, etc.

It looks like nobody has ever done more than spray and wipe them. They've really lost their gloss, and don't feel smooth to the touch.

Time's Yours
04-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Just did a massive order for car care products on Amazon. Wife is going to wonder how I rung up that total and boy does it add up quickly!

Still a lot cheaper than having someone else do it though.

BigRedChief
04-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Just did a massive order for car care products on Amazon. Wife is going to wonder how I rung up that total and boy does it add up quickly!cheaper than Garrry.:)

Miles
04-19-2015, 03:31 AM
I'm assuming you only do that when the car isn't super dirty, right? I get the theory but you're still removing more dirt on a car with pressure from your hand than you would be with running water on the car first to remove much of the dirt.

I live in a condo so the only way I can wash my car. If it gets really dirty I stop at one of those spray wash places first.

lewdog
04-19-2015, 07:28 AM
Still a lot cheaper than having someone else do it though.

Yea she seems ok with it. After all, she said she'd take my man card if I passed on this car so really it was her doing that got us here. :D

cheaper than Garrry.:)

Lol. I watched some of his videos. I think he needs more Ritalin!

I live in a condo so the only way I can wash my car. If it gets really dirty I stop at one of those spray wash places first.

Gotcha. I washed my Celica with Optimum No Rinse wash for years secondary to living in crappy apartments. Also will automatic car washes since I didn't know any better. Never like Gary does though but it seemed effective without causing too much damage. Although it was on a silver car so it's hard to tell.

BigRedChief
04-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Lol. I watched some of his videos. I think he needs more Ritalin!

Gotcha. I washed my Celica with Optimum No Rinse wash for years secondary to living in crappy apartments. Also will automatic car washes since I didn't know any better. Never like Gary does though but it seemed effective without causing too much damage. Although it was on a silver car so it's hard to tell.Yeah there is something "off" about the guy. But, he has a good history in the car detailing business. If he was just some guy without a history on the car detail boards and no years of youtube videos. I'd be leary of him putting him own chemical compound sealant on my car.

The bottom line is that he has the best reputation of success in the car detailing business. No one does it better. Cue Carly Simon.....:)

Buehler445
04-19-2015, 11:09 AM

2010 GMC Sierra 1500.
Tan leather interior.
No grease or anything. Just dust and Dog dander. Chief dog goes to work with me every day.

If you have to have it, I can get a picture tomorrow.

http://i.imgur.com/Fp3uQk5.jpg

lewdog
04-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the help in this thread. Spent about 7 hours this weekend getting her in shape! If the car is not super dirty I love using Optimum No Rinse wash. It's what I used this weekend. I don't get any water spots using it compared to a standard wash with Meguiar's Gold Class wash, mitt and a hose I did the week before when the car was actually dirty. I think that's because things here dry so fast it's hard to safely move that fast to dry so water spots get left behind. You can try to work in panels but with a hose there is some splashing, so little spots get placed back on panels that were already clean. Not to mention the water in Phoenix is somewhat hard.

Love the clay bar and can't believe I have never done that. The car isn't totally perfect but close enough for government work. I see what some of you mentioned about black cars. Hard to keep a daily driver mint, let along a black one and I can safely say that won't even be my goal after spending all that time and coming out to a car after work covered in light dust and pollen.

I smoothed on some of the Chemical guys leather conditioner and that stuff just soaks right in, no grease and smells great! These seats are in great condition so not having to clean them was a plus.

I'm getting a ton of compliments on the car and the guys at the tire shop kept commenting on how it was the cleanest Mustang of that year they have seen in a long time. Getting many comments about the Hurst Shifter. Not sure why. Maybe if I understood it's function I could talk about it!

Here she is cleaned and in the sun today after work.

http://i.imgur.com/4bX4l5X.jpg?1

stonedstooge
04-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the help in this thread. Spent about 7 hours this weekend getting her in shape! If the car is not super dirty I love using Optimum No Rinse wash. It's what I used this weekend. I don't get any water spots using it compared to a standard wash with Meguiar's Gold Class wash, mitt and a hose I did the week before when the car was actually dirty. I think that's because things here dry so fast it's hard to safely move that fast to dry so water spots get left behind. You can try to work in panels but with a hose there is some splashing, so little spots get placed back on panels that were already clean. Not to mention the water in Phoenix is somewhat hard.

Love the clay bar and can't believe I have never done that. The car isn't totally perfect but close enough for government work. I see what some of you mentioned about black cars. Hard to keep a daily driver mint, let along a black one and I can safely say that won't even be my goal after spending all that time and coming out to a car after work covered in light dust and pollen.

I smoothed on some of the Chemical guys leather conditioner and that stuff just soaks right in, no grease and smells great! These seats are in great condition so not having to clean them was a plus.

I'm getting a ton of compliments on the car and the guys at the tire shop kept commenting on how it was the cleanest Mustang of that year they have seen in a long time. Getting many comments about the Hurst Shifter. Not sure why. Maybe if I understood it's function I could talk about it!

Here she is cleaned and in the sun today after work.

http://i.imgur.com/4bX4l5X.jpg?1

It's all about 1 panel at a time. Looks awesome

Buehler445
04-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Looks good man. Glad you're happy.

Warpaint69
04-28-2015, 07:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Fp3uQk5.jpg

Being a daily driver Kansas work truck, I would suggest purchasing a horse hair brush to help loosen dirt on the leather surface. This kit here from Adams will get the job done.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/interi...ather-kit.html

Adam's is a little more pricey, I've used Chemical Guys cleaner and conditioner and haven't been disappointed. And its more reasonably priced.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Leather_...spi_109_16.htm

I honestly purchase the leather cleaner by the gallon, I use considerably more cleaner than conditioner. I know the Chemical Guys conditioner contains UV protection.

If your leather seats are a tan or grey over time you will notice the transfer of blue jean dye to the leather surface. I've had to use the following product to totally get it out before.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Leath...er_p_1079.html

lewdog
05-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Got my first wash after applying the Opti-Gloss coat a week ago. WOW! Water just sheets right off the car. Like the slickest paint surface I've ever seen! I had the wife come out and look at it. I always start by hosing the car off with a flood type setting and then a jet setting before even touching the paint with a microfiber mitt. After just using the hose the car was virtually clean. Even the smashed bugs on the front from our 200 mile weekend road trip mostly came off with just the hose! That never happens. This looks like it's going to make maintenance that much easier with this car. It's not a deep/wet gloss like a wax but it's very reflective and looks good on the black paint. I'll sacrifice some of the deep gloss for a easy to clean surface and paint protection it provides. I should get a video next time of the water just rolling off the car. It's crazy.

A+ on this stuff. Very impressed.