PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV DirecTV is running scared...

Stewie
03-11-2015, 04:49 PM
They are being sued for false advertising and deceptive practices.

By chance, I cancelled my service 10 days ago to move on.

Today I received an email for an amazing offer. "Come back to DirecTV!"

I was curious, so I called. Not a bad decision.

I got may previous service back with 200+ channels, plus movie channels for three months, plus 2015 NFL Sunday Ticket, plus $214 worth of VISA cards.

My bill changed from $97 when I cancelled... to $59/month. That doesn't include the cards.

They wanted a 24 month commitment, but I said I only wanted a 12 month commitment. They agreed.

suzzer99
03-11-2015, 05:00 PM
Link to the lawsuit?

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-11-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm surprised it's running at all...

Buzz
03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
I have Comcast triple play, my bill went from $120 to $160 and now $180. I would really love to kick them to the curb. From want I understand if I cancel now I will get hit with a cancelation fee because when I told them I was leaving the last time to get my bill lowered, I unknowing signed up for a two year agreement.

jspchief
03-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Not sure what the suit is about, but for me Direct TV has been hands down the best television service I've ever had. My only complaint would be price, but it's not like their price isn't in line with other options.

Reerun_KC
03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Direct TV is our only option out here in the country.

L.A. Chieffan
03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
No local Dodger games. Bye Directv

BigMeatballDave
03-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Direct TV is our only option out here in the country.

You have farm animals around?

Mr. Laz
03-11-2015, 05:37 PM
I have Comcast triple play, my bill went from $120 to $160 and now $180. I would really love to kick them to the curb. From want I understand if I cancel now I will get hit with a cancelation fee because when I told them I was leaving the last time to get my bill lowered, I unknowing signed up for a two year agreement.

Directv did the same to me.

I made the mistake of agreeing to a 2 year contract to upgrade equipment to HD. My monthly bill has been going up ever since.

bastards

Reerun_KC
03-11-2015, 05:38 PM
You have farm animals around?
Cows across the road. Other than that we don't.

I think some of the neighbors have some horses.

There's a jackass down the road also.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-11-2015, 05:40 PM

When did you move to my neighborhood? Wanna' come over for ribs?

Donger
03-11-2015, 05:42 PM
I Hate Big TV

BigMeatballDave
03-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Sounds like quality entertainment. No need for TV.

Reerun_KC
03-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Sounds like quality entertainment. No need for TV.
Well we do take pot shots at coyotes and squirrels across the road.

Reerun_KC
03-11-2015, 05:48 PM
When did you move to my neighborhood? Wanna' come over for ribs?
For sure

kcxiv
03-11-2015, 05:49 PM

i got the double play recently and its like 120 but i have a 105mb internet line, latino channels sports package and 1 year of free HBO. They also threw in 2 of the new HD DVR's with voice activation.

Direct tv i was paying 107 a month for their mid tier programming. Shit was getting out of hand.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-11-2015, 05:50 PM
For sure

w00t!

tecumseh
03-11-2015, 05:56 PM
I've got no problem with directv. Fees aren't bad AND ST. I tried the streaming sites one year and our service began to diminish when our line of sight was blacked.

Buzz
03-11-2015, 06:19 PM
i got the double play recently and its like 120 but i have a 105mb internet line, latino channels sports package and 1 year of free HBO. They also threw in 2 of the new HD DVR's with voice activation.

Direct tv i was paying 107 a month for their mid tier programming. Shit was getting out of hand.

Give it a year you will hate their guuuttttzzz.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/hleon/2010/10/07/ron_white.png

Stewie
03-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Here is the lawsuit:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/03/ftc-charges-directv-deceptively-advertising-cost-its-satellite

I talked with DTV today and got everything. My monthly bill will be about $35 for everything.

Coochie liquor
03-11-2015, 06:54 PM

There's a jackass married to my wife also.

Sounds about right!!

jspchief
03-11-2015, 07:15 PM
DIRECTV represents that consumers will receive premium channels, such as HBO and Showtime, “free for 3 months,” without adequately disclosing that: 1) consumers will be enrolled in a negative option continuity plan that charges for the premium channels after the trial period; 2) consumers must contact DIRECTV to cancel the plan before the trial period ends to avoid incurring the charges; 3) DIRECTV will use consumers’ credit or debit card information to charge them after the trial period ends; and 4) there are specific costs associated with the negative option continuity plan.

This one always bugged me. I understand the spirit of "buyer beware", but it's frustrating to me that so many legitimate businesses have revenue streams centered on tricking their customers. It would be nice to make a purchase without having to dig deeper for the long con.

Mav
03-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Welp, time to call in and bitch. Maybe get the baseball package for free.

kcxiv
03-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Give it a year you will hate their guuuttttzzz.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/hleon/2010/10/07/ron_white.png

i have had comcast internet for like 4 years now. always been top notch so far, minimal downtime. always giving me super fast speeds. I got no complaints.

BucEyedPea
03-11-2015, 07:37 PM
We get hurricanes. So Direct TV isn't an option.

Hammock Parties
03-11-2015, 07:39 PM
This one always bugged me. I understand the spirit of "buyer beware", but it's frustrating to me that so many legitimate businesses have revenue streams centered on tricking their customers. It would be nice to make a purchase without having to dig deeper for the long con.

They call and try to trick me on that every couple months. Always have to tell them to fuck off. They got me once, never again.

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2015, 07:40 PM
I got NFL Ticket along with the 200+ channel deal for about $58 from 2010-2013. Last fall they tried to play hard-ball and force me to pay closer to "list" or "market" price for the package and the Ticket ($100-110 per month)...I told them to shove it.

YESTERDAY, not kidding at all...they called me and told me I could have the old package I had previously (including the NFL Ticket) for $29 per month for a year, and for about $60 per month after that (given current offers, AND direct deposit and my past credit history.) I'm considering it...told him to call me back in August...

However, I did tell the dude at the end of the conversation....frankly, I'm pretty happy with my current arrangement: antenna for local stations, PLUS Netflix. We could get another shit-ton of TV and movies by paying $30 -35 for AmazonPrime and Hulu. If I want Chief's games next year, I hoping I can go Chromecast PLUS NFL team streaming to my big screen. I hear that's not, technically legal, but there are ways to do it...otherwise the current offer and the Sunday Ticket for the deal they offered seems pretty decent.

As much as I LOVED season tickets and the atmosphere of Arrowhead, my recliner next to the TV, 40 steps from my own kitchen...has become a much more preferable option--but I'm not paying through the nose for so-so tickets. And hell, as far as Direct-TV...I'm not interested in the least for 200+ channels that I never really watch much, if at all...bring on "al a carte" channels at a decent price, and maybe we will talk.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2015, 07:44 PM
They won't do much for me. Per usual. I'm about to leave them, I haven't gotten ST with anything more than half off in three years, and my contract is up May 1. Cost to cancel right now would be $40.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2015, 07:46 PM
My last month bill, for reference, was $147. After a phone call AND getting to a supervisor, I'm down to $119.

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2015, 07:57 PM
They won't do much for me. Per usual. I'm about to leave them, I haven't gotten ST with anything more than half off in three years, and my contract is up May 1. Cost to cancel right now would be $40.

Honestly, I was persistent...some would say an asshole (yeah, yeah,) and I called them on their B.S. based on what I've read about their marketing practices. It didn't help me to STAY with them; but they've been kissing my ass since I left them...

lewdog
03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
My last month bill, for reference, was $147. After a phone call AND getting to a supervisor, I'm down to $119.

You pay what I pay and we don't even have HBO or movie channels. Plus I only got half off ST this year as well. Contract is up in November and I'm probably going elsewhere unless they offer me a good deal for a year plus only a year contract. If they give me a 12 month promotion but 24 month contract, I'll be out.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2015, 08:00 PM
You pay what I pay and we don't even have HBO or movie channels. Plus I only got half off ST this year as well. Contract is up in November and I'm probably going elsewhere unless they offer me a good deal for a year plus only a year contract. If they give me a 12 month promotion but 24 month contract, I'll be out.

That's where I am. Not doing this crap anymore. I'm paying more now for fewer channels than I was a year ago.

lewdog
03-11-2015, 08:04 PM
That's where I am. Not doing this crap anymore. I'm paying more now for fewer channels than I was a year ago.

Yup, so am I! I downgraded late last year and I am paying more than this time last year for much less. And when I called a few months ago about a wireless genie box so I could move a TV out to my patio they were going to charge me north of $100 to do it! I can switch the Century Link and they'll include a box where I can move my TV with their wireless box and my package would be less than $50/month.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Yup, so am I! I downgraded late last year and I am paying more than this time last year for much less. And when I called a few months ago about a wireless genie box so I could move a TV out to my patio they were going to charge me north of $100 to do it! I can switch the Century Link and they'll include a box where I can move my TV with their wireless box and my package would be less than $50/month.

I downgraded packages in Julyish to Xtra, but still pay for HBO and Showtime.

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I have to call every six months to get the current specials.

Six months ago, I got my bill down to $167 a month for every channel, the HD special, six DVR's, the protection plan and so on. This month's bill came in at $209.00, so I called on Sunday and it's back to $167.00.

It's a silly game but whatever. I love their product, love Whole Home and especially the audio and video quality. Plus, it's awesome to have nearly everything On Demand.

Fire Me Boy!
03-11-2015, 08:16 PM

Six months ago, I got my bill down to $167 a month for every channel, the HD special, six DVR's, the protection plan and so on. This month's bill came in at $209.00, so I called on Sunday and it's back to $167.00.

It's a silly game but whatever. I love their product, love Whole Home and especially the audio and video quality. Plus, it's awesome to have nearly everything On Demand.

That's part of my problem... I'm tired of the game. By comparison, the local cable company hasn't changed my bill for Internet in four years.

rocknrolla
03-11-2015, 08:21 PM
We get hurricanes. So Direct TV isn't an option.

I lived on the west coast of FL for 15 years. Went through 3 hurricanes, 1 Cat 4 , lost signal for maybe 15 minutes before power went out.

Reerun_KC
03-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Sounds about right!!
And your point?

Red Dawg
03-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Well we do take pot shots at coyotes and squirrels across the road.

Fucking hick.

kcxiv
03-11-2015, 08:39 PM
little trick of the trade, tell direct tv you are moving and you need to put the account on hold. i did that shit for 3 years, then fired it back up at a later date. lol

Reerun_KC
03-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Fucking hick.
Watch out for banjos.

Hamwallet
03-11-2015, 08:47 PM
I want out of Comcast, but there Internet is awesome. If we could get Google in blue springs... Only way I would switch. Sunday ticket is worthless to me. I have a 60" with 2 32" mounted above and my PC running 2 HDMI's to the small ones in my living room. I can get any game o want to watch.

J Diddy
03-11-2015, 09:20 PM
I lived on the west coast of FL for 15 years. Went through 3 hurricanes, 1 Cat 4 , lost signal for maybe 15 minutes before power went out.

A total movie free 15 minutes?

Nobody should have to handle that.

Couch-Potato
03-11-2015, 09:55 PM
My roommates and I had to split up and had just gotten direct tv a few months prior... in the end they charged us over $400 for the cancelation fee. They were the most downright ridiculous company I've ever had to deal with in terms of customer service and they were super shady regarding our cancelation of the service (not going to rehash).

Ultimately, we should be able to get our cell phone service/internet/full cable for $150 maximum. Prices are crazy inflated and absolutely ridiculous!!!!!

Big Fuck You! to Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Direct TV, Dish TV, Time Warne etc... etc... etc.... Fuck all of you!!!!

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2015, 10:13 PM
That's part of my problem... I'm tired of the game. By comparison, the local cable company hasn't changed my bill for Internet in four years.

I don't have an option, other than to pay significantly more through Time Warner Cable. The last time I checked, it was nearly $275 with tax for the same service I have with Direct TV, minus the NFL package.

It is what it is so I make that stinkin' call. And least last season, they gave me the NFL package for free along with a $200 gift card.

03-11-2015, 11:11 PM

Wish I could say that. Our internet bill goes up every damn year. I call Cox to get it lowered about 5 bucks each year. Annoying as hell.

kcxiv
03-12-2015, 12:40 AM
i called direct tv because i havent told them "im moving" so they put a hold on my account, and the discount they tried to offer me was 9 dollars savings. lol. Im just going to stick with comcast for now. Direct tv just goes up and up and up and up and up. For sunday ticket, ill just give my sister the cash and watch the Chiefs from her direct tv account website and hook it up to my tv.

Nzoner
03-12-2015, 06:16 AM

I hate the ****ing game too,I'm at 10 receivers (6 specifically for NFL) and every seasons beginning and end I have to call to have turned on and off and am always told that can't be done you have to keep service etc. then onto retention I go to get it all worked out :#

kcxiv
03-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Man, so comcast completely ****ed up my order when they installed. Felt like the dude tried to sell my wolf tickets just to get a commision. No DRV box no HD box when they came to install. Well, i called the lady and told her that dude sold me a box of shit and i wasnt happy with being lied too. Well they gave me HD, DVR, their highest tiered package plus the sports package 24 months of HBO, 105mb line all for 120 bucks now.

It sucks you gotta do the song and dance, but i guess its worth it in the end.

suzzer99
03-12-2015, 08:31 PM
FIOS lied to me too. Tried to tack on a $60 installation charge when it was never mentioned on the phone. I had to get really irate to get that removed. They offered to remove half and I said "I will call Time Warner". I had checked ahead of time that I could get Time Warner. That did the trick.

okcchief
03-12-2015, 10:20 PM
I had to call today because of my free shit fell off again. My normal bill without any credits is $169. They knocked it down to $89 for a year and didn't make me sign a contract. I get to watch the Royals with the sports pack and they always cut me a deal on ST so I'll stick with it.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2015, 04:21 AM
I had to call today because of my free shit fell off again. My normal bill without any credits is $169. They knocked it down to $89 for a year and didn't make me sign a contract. I get to watch the Royals with the sports pack and they always cut me a deal on ST so I'll stick with it.

This is the shit that pisses me off. It seems completely arbitrary how they dole out credits.

Superbowltrashcan
03-13-2015, 04:46 AM
I just tell them I am on a fixed budget amount for Internet and TV and that when I signed up (I have Sure West) I accepted based on the amount offered. I usually have to do the callback every 6 months but when you figure the time involved, you usually are making close to divorce attorney money per hour so it is worth it to me.

kcxiv
03-13-2015, 09:40 PM
This is the shit that pisses me off. It seems completely arbitrary how they dole out credits.

different people inside the differetn call centers get to approve totally different deals. They make it a ****ing pain in the ass to get a deal. This is from any cable/internet/satellite company. Ill get one person that basically told me they cant do anything, and basically said your shit out of luck cancel if you want, then hang up and call again and someone else will give you a deal the the previous person didnt.

Its a stupid ****ing cat and mouse game, but **** its worth it. Like i said now comcast gave me 105mb line 1dvr box 1 hd box (dvr works on both boxes) preferred tv channels, Latino Tv channels, the sports package, a year of HBO for free and streampix for 120. They only did that after they ****ed up my order like i said earlier, they came with 1 tv box, non HD talking about only the Latino channel and no hbo, no sports (my big thing is MLB Network. my fav tv station right now) and i was like, "naw, **** that" lol The install people gave me 2 hd boxes for now they didnt have the DVR ones. I was the last install of the day it was already like 5pm. when i called they took care of it. Bullshit bullshit bullshit, but like i said worth it.

Their black remote is pretty bad ass too. it lights up when you pick it up. lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-zPfeX5ZoAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane
03-14-2015, 12:20 AM

Don't be talking about me like that :cuss:

beach tribe
03-14-2015, 07:37 AM
www.notv.me

Unsmooth-Moment
03-14-2015, 09:25 AM
I wasn't calling to cause a big deal today (I'll save that for the summer when Im getting ST). I ended up getting the dude to throw in HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for 3 months. Keeping my XTRA package and total is a little under $100 after tax. Meh, not great but When I call in early June I will be asking for a lot more. My contract expires in Sept this year for reference.

Fire Me Boy!
03-14-2015, 11:04 AM
I wasn't calling to cause a big deal today (I'll save that for the summer when Im getting ST). I ended up getting the dude to throw in HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for 3 months. Keeping my XTRA package and total is a little under $100 after tax. Meh, not great but When I call in early June I will be asking for a lot more. My contract expires in Sept this year for reference.

Mine expires in May and I couldn't get them down to less than $119. What package and services do you have?

I have Extra + HBO + Showtime, while house DVR and two receivers.