PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs DBowe and KC Ring Of Honor

Nzoner
03-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Was discussed on 610 Sports briefly and I wanted to get the pulse of CP on this topic with a poll.

Discuss Thrower
03-13-2015, 09:44 AM
nB4pole

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 09:45 AM
They'll put him in it because they put way too damn many people in it.

He shouldn't be, but then again neither should at least 1/3 of the guys already there.

King_Chief_Fan
03-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Was discussed on 610 Sports briefly and I wanted to get the pulse of CP on this topic with a poll.

Uh......no

loochy
03-13-2015, 09:46 AM
this is retarded

Molitoth
03-13-2015, 09:47 AM
They'll put him in it because they put way too damn many people in it.

He shouldn't be, but then again neither should at least 1/3 of the guys already there.

this

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Just asking a question:

Are Carlos Carson, Henry Marshall and Stephone Paige in the Ring of Honor? Carson had several 1,000 yard seasons in the 80's (when receivers could be mugged) with Bill Kenny.

As bad as the QB's were that threw to Dwayne Bowe, none were as pitiful as Bill Kenny.

Scorp
03-13-2015, 09:49 AM
You should make like Bowe and DROP this!

WhawhaWhat
03-13-2015, 09:52 AM
3rd all time in yards, 2nd all time in catches, 5th in TDs.

Discuss Thrower
03-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Just asking a question:

Are Carlos Carson, Henry Marshall and Stephone Paige in the Ring of Honor? Carson had several 1,000 yard seasons in the 80's (when receivers could be mugged) with Bill Kenny.

As bad as the QB's were that threw to Dwayne Bowe, none were as pitiful as Bill Kenny.

I don't think any of them are.

Oh, and I motion that Neil Smith be removed from the RoH for obvious fucking reasons.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Just asking a question:

No but Chris Burford is in there, does that count?

If you've played for the Chiefs for 5 years and made a pro-bowl in that period, they'll probably put you in the damn ring of honor...well, unless you spit water on a chick at a bar.

In58men
03-13-2015, 09:55 AM
2nd best WR KC ever had that should make him worthy.

O.city
03-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Why does the fact that Bowe has the 2nd most receiving yards make him the 2nd best wr in chiefs history?

Did I miss something ?

Hootie
03-13-2015, 10:00 AM
I say no. Good Chief, not legendary, though

ILChief
03-13-2015, 10:03 AM

That's my thought. I would put Charles (obviously), Hali, and probably Derrick Johnson up there before him. Other current Chiefs that should get there barring them leaving or falling off a cliff: Houston, Poe, Berry

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Why does the fact that Bowe has the 2nd most receiving yards make him the 2nd best wr in chiefs history?

Did I miss something ?

Yeah, the 2nd best WR the Chiefs have had is almost certainly Henry Marshall.

Sadly enough, there's a good argument that Burford is #3 on that list. Then you kinda look at Bowe, Kennison and Carlos Carson as guys that look to round out the top 5.

The WRs in KC have largely sucked balls.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 10:07 AM

That's what happens when you put a guy like Gary Spani in the ring of honor.

Really? Zero time pro-bowler who played during an absolutely awful era of Chiefs football. The guy was just an okay linebacker that never won anything and led a largely shitty set of football teams. That gets him a spot in the Chiefs Hall of Fame?

ILChief
03-13-2015, 10:07 AM

Sadly enough, there's a good argument that Burford is #3 on that list. Then you kinda look at Bowe, Kennison and Carlos Carson as guys that look to round out the top 5.

Sadly this. You don't have to go too far down the list to get to andre rison and Derrick Alexander. That's what happens when you draft Sylvester Morris and Jon Baldwin

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-13-2015, 10:09 AM
I'd put Green in before Bowe.

Hammock Parties
03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
No WR in franchise history has more catches.

Of course he deserves it.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 10:11 AM
I think I was being too kind. I said I'd kick about 1/3 of the list out, I'm thinking I'd get closer to 1/2.

Of 45 guys in the ring of honor I see about 20 no-doubters and could be convinced to get to another 5 or so. They really need to stop putting someone in every year. When most of the stadium doesn't know who you're nominating, then perhaps you just don't put someone in that year instead of bringing Gary Barbaro out of mothballs...

wazu
03-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Hell yes.

blaise
03-13-2015, 10:17 AM
If he's in your Ring of Honor your ring of honor sucks.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 10:20 AM
Players that should stay in:

Dawson
Thomas
Shields
Bell
Buchanan
Taylor
Lanier
Cherry
Budde
Johnny Robinson
Jim Tyrer
Jerry Mays
Neil Smith (ugh)
Priest Holmes
John Alt
Joe Delaney

Coach/Admin: Hunt, Stram, Schottenheimer (seriously, fucking Steadman?)

Guys who should go in, IMO:

Trent Green
Tamba Hali
When all is said and done - Charles

Guys I could be talked into:

Grunny, Lewis, Holub, Lynch, DJ, Lowery, Stenerud, Headrick, Rudnay

Hammock Parties
03-13-2015, 10:21 AM
You absolutely cannot put Hali in there if you're not gonna put Bowe in.

Being the franchise leader in catches for a WR means something.

Hali's only had 3 seasons of 10+ sacks.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 10:23 AM
If he's in your Ring of Honor your ring of honor sucks.

Our ring of honor has Lloyd Burruss in it. It does suck.

stevieray
03-13-2015, 10:33 AM
No.

....all that ring does is show the HUGE FREAKIN GAP between the SB team and the concurrent decades of FUTILITY.

gblowfish
03-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Well, he's not eligible until his career has been over for five years.
Also, let's see who he signs with. If he goes to Oakland or Denver, then screw him.
If he goes to the NFC, then maybe someday he'll qualify for it.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
03-13-2015, 12:51 PM
wow - the bar is sooooo embarrassingly low for the Chiefs.....

Nickel D
03-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Jared Allen > Dwayne Bowe...but neither will be selected for the Chiefs' Ring of Honor due to their off-the-field issues.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2015, 01:10 PM
2nd best WR KC ever had that should make him worthy.

No, he's not.

He's maybe the fifth best. Maybe.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2015, 01:13 PM

Carlos Carson had 1,351 yards and 7 TD's in 1983 with Bill Kenney at QB and no running game. He had multiple 1,000 yard seasons in an era where DB's could literally mug receivers.

While Henry Marshall and Stephone Paige were very, very good as well, both were just a notch below Carson, IMO.

If we had those three guys along with Kelce and Charles today? Top 5 offense, easily.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2015, 01:14 PM
No WR in franchise history has more catches.

Of course he deserves it.

Nope.

The reason he has more receptions is because the Chiefs never adequately stocked their roster until recently.

Funny how his numbers went down dramatically after Reid and Dorsey brought in even average receivers at the other spots.

58-4ever
03-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Only when he comes back and wins Reid his third Superbowl.

MMXcalibur
03-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Holy shit, no.

Nothing he did here was that special that it should be given its own place at Arrowhead.

gblowfish
03-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Jared Allen > Dwayne Bowe...but neither will be selected for the Chiefs' Ring of Honor due to their off-the-field issues.

Jim Tyrer shot his wife dead with his kids in the house, but he's up there. He was inducted in 1977, and shot his wife, then himself, in 1980.
He may have had brain trauma from football. One of his kids, who was in the house at the time, found the bodies.

All the Chiefs HOF guys can be browsed here:
http://chiefshallofhonor.com/players/chiefs-hall-of-fame/

alpha_omega
03-13-2015, 01:32 PM
I'll take "you gotta be...." for $1,000.00.

Chiefnj2
03-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Nope.

The reason he has more receptions is because the Chiefs never adequately stocked their roster until recently.

Funny how his numbers went down dramatically after Reid and Dorsey brought in even average receivers at the other spots.

Who are these average WR's?

ndws
03-13-2015, 02:15 PM
If Gary Green goes in this year, why not? I'm sure that year John Matuszak played should get him in too. He was fucking Sloth after all.

BigRedChief
03-13-2015, 02:21 PM
3rd all time in yards, 2nd all time in catches, 5th in TDs.Fuck him. He dropped way more crucial balls than he caught.

What modern day receiver catches the ball with his body and uses his hands only to keep the ball from bouncing away from his chest when it hits?

JohnnyHammersticks
03-13-2015, 02:21 PM
You've gotta be ****ing kidding me.

BigRedChief
03-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Jim Tyrer shot his wife dead with his kids in the house, but he's up there. He was inducted in 1977, and shot his wife, then himself, in 1980.
He may have had brain trauma from football. One of his kids, who was in the house at the time, found the bodies.

http://chiefshallofhonor.com/players/chiefs-hall-of-fame/Yep, may have been CTE?

ndws
03-13-2015, 02:24 PM

http://chiefshallofhonor.com/players/chiefs-hall-of-fame/

Didn't he have some business or investment fail at the same time? Probably the perfect storm coupled with CTE or whatever its called.

ChiefsCountry
03-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Nope.

His numbers went down because of Alex Smith, not the other JAGS lining up across the field from him.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-13-2015, 02:37 PM
I would put zubas pants in before him.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2015, 02:48 PM
His numbers went down because of Alex Smith, not the other JAGS lining up across the field from him.

I disagree.

For the first time that I can recall, the Chiefs have had other receiving options, whether it was Fasano, Avery and McCluster or Kelce, Charles or Avant or whomever.

It was pretty easy for Bowe to put up numbers when there was no one other than Tony Gonzalez as a threat.

ChiefsCountry
03-13-2015, 02:58 PM
I disagree.

For the first time that I can recall, the Chiefs have had other receiving options, whether it was Fasano, Avery and McCluster or Kelce, Charles or Avant or whomever.

It was pretty easy for Bowe to put up numbers when there was no one other than Tony Gonzalez as a threat.

He had McCluster forever, Avant is the same shit they have had. Kelce is the first weapon at tight end - I'll give you that one. But when you have 8 years of data on a player not throwing to his WRs, its pretty easy to see why his numbers are down. Granted you are suppose to see some decline because of age but Smith's lack of throwing to him is the main reason.

Bwana
03-13-2015, 03:11 PM
No only no but fuck no.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2015, 03:17 PM
He had McCluster forever, Avant is the same shit they have had. Kelce is the first weapon at tight end - I'll give you that one. But when you have 8 years of data on a player not throwing to his WRs, its pretty easy to see why his numbers are down. Granted you are suppose to see some decline because of age but Smith's lack of throwing to him is the main reason.

I'll be shocked if Bowe ever sees the other side of 800 yards a season again. I don't think he "sucks" but I do believe his best days are behind him.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2015, 03:17 PM
No only no but fuck no.

Well said :D

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Bowe's numbers went down as the offense improved.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what that says...but it doesn't say anything good for Dwyane Bowe.

Bowe's numbers went down because he got worse at getting open as he aged and also because he had a QB that wouldn't force-feed him footballs. Yeah, his numbers declined in large part because he had Smith under center, but that was a good thing for the offense as a whole.

TG had two of the best seasons of his career with Huard and Thigpen. A lot of pass-catchers rack up stats precisely because of shitty QBs, bad defenses or lousy systems. Bowe found a perfect storm of garbage time stats to pad his resume.

There is no way he should be in the Ring of Honor and we darn sure shouldn't be looking at his statistical decline as an indictment of anybody.

keg in kc
03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Bowe's numbers went down as the offense improved.I must've slept through the seasons where the offense improved.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2015, 03:22 PM
I must've slept through the seasons where the offense improved.

You don't think the offense of the last 2 years was better than the 2 that preceded it?

There are none so blind...

srvy
03-13-2015, 03:32 PM
I voted you got to be kidding me. But then Gary Spani so fuck I would be willing to remove Spani and insert Bowe in that slot. I think Spani is up there for sucking on Bigfoot Steadman's toes.

Three7s
03-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Bowe's numbers went down as the offense improved.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what that says...but it doesn't say anything good for Dwyane Bowe.

Bowe's numbers went down because he got worse at getting open as he aged and also because he had a QB that wouldn't force-feed him footballs. Yeah, his numbers declined in large part because he had Smith under center, but that was a good thing for the offense as a whole.

TG had two of the best seasons of his career with Huard and Thigpen. A lot of pass-catchers rack up stats precisely because of shitty QBs, bad defenses or lousy systems. Bowe found a perfect storm of garbage time stats to pad his resume.

There is no way he should be in the Ring of Honor and we darn sure shouldn't be looking at his statistical decline as an indictment of anybody.
IMO, Bowe only had one great year(2010) and several average to good years(2007, 2008, 2011) with a couple of bad years in there as well(2009, 2012-2014. No way should he be in the ring of honor.

If I had to look at the current team as of last year, I'd put Charles, Hali, DJ, and probably Houston in there. (assuming Houston doesn't either fall off a cliff or go to another team)

stevieray
03-13-2015, 03:48 PM
I would put zubas pants in before him.

:clap:

gblowfish
03-13-2015, 03:49 PM
If I had to suggest some guys who are not in the ring who should be considered for a spot there someday, I'd say: Charles, Hali, Derrick Johnson, Trent Green, James Hasty, Dustin Colquitt, Tony Gonzalez.

And Justin Houston if he has another four or five years like he's put in so far.

gblowfish
03-13-2015, 03:51 PM
I voted you got to be kissing me. But then Gary Spani so fuck I would be willing to remove Spani and insert Bowe in that slot. I think Spani is up there for sucking on Bigfoot Steadman's toes.

Spani was a good player on some God Awful bad teams. He never made All-Pro because he played the same time guys like Jack Ham and Jack Lambert played. When he retired, he led the Chiefs all time in tackles. He was a very good cover linebacker, certainly one of the few good players the Chiefs had in those lost years.

Three7s
03-13-2015, 03:51 PM
If I had to suggest some guys who are not in the ring who should be considered for a spot there someday, I'd say: Charles, Hali, Derrick Johnson, Trent Green, James Hasty, Dustin Colquitt, Tony Gonzalez.

And Justin Houston if he has another four or five years like he's put in so far.
Oh dang, I completely forgot about the MVP. I'd say you have to put Tony in there as well.

temper11
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
But when you have 8 years of data on a player not throwing to his WRs, its pretty easy to see why his numbers are down. Granted you are suppose to see some decline because of age but Smith's lack of throwing to him is the main reason.

"8 years of data" is pretty misleading. Assuming a QB needs at least 12 games in a season to get a receiver over 1000 yards, (I'm guessing at that number - if you disagree, pick your own threshold and do the research) Smith would qualify at 4 seasons. 4 Seasons of playing in 12 or more games.

Of those 4 seasons, he has attempted 500 or more passes only once: His 2013 season when he just barely eclipsed the 500 mark at 508

Compare that to the big name QB's (Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Luck) and it's not really hard to seed why in 9 seasons of NFL football Smith's WR stats fall short:

- Manning - 14 out of 16 qualifying seasons with 500 or more attempts
- Brees - 10 out of 11 qualifying seasons with 500 or more attempts
- Brady - 10 out of 13 qualifying seasons with 500 or more attempts
- Rodgers - 5 out of 6 qualifying seasons with 500 or more attempts
- Luck - 3 out of 3 qualifying seasons with 500 or more attempts
- Rivers - 5 out of 9 qualifying seasons with 500 or more attempts

In the cases of Manning, Brees, Brady and Luck many of their qualifying seasons saw them attempt over 600 passes.

People point to the number of years Smith has been in the league as comparable to the path of these other QB's. It's not even close to the dumpster fire Smith has been playing in since entering the league. Hate Smith all you want, but at least acknowledge that judging him and his numbers, or the receivers numbers he's worked with to these other QB's and their receivers is disingenuous.

Actually... when you look at it, in 4 seasons of playing in a minimum of 12 games, Smith has reached the playoffs twice and the NFCCG once. Actually not to shabby. :)

srvy
03-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Spani was a good player on some God Awful bad teams. He never made All-Pro because he played the same time guys like Jack Ham and Jack Lambert played. When he retired, he led the Chiefs all time in tackles. He was a very good cover linebacker, certainly one of the few good players the Chiefs had in those lost years.

More like led the team in tackles 7 yard down field. Spani sucked I was at every game through those horrific years. I know of no one who thought he was good he racked up numbers getting dragged down field. I guess I know one now.

gblowfish
03-13-2015, 04:09 PM
More like led the team in tackles 7 yard down field. Spani sucked I was at every game through those horrific years. I know of no one who thought he was good he racked up numbers getting dragged down field. I guess I know one now.

You can argue he was no Derrick Thomas or Justin Houston, but he was not the worst player during his time. Not even close. He led the team in tackles four years in a row. That means that at least he was the first guy to get to the ball carrier. He was an NFL man of the year. He's in the College Football HOF. He's the only Chiefs ring of honor player who is a native Kansan. Not his fault he didn't have a better supporting cast.

Here's a video, watch this and tell me this isn't a quality guy:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Where-are-they-now---Gary-Spani/25603078-c985-49ef-a0b2-ace113829b84

BigRedChief
03-13-2015, 04:51 PM
You don't think the offense of the last 2 years was better than the 2 that preceded it?

There are none so blind...Glad to see you around again.:clap:

Are you going to hang in the Cardinals thread this season?

Jim Lahey
03-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Loved Bowe but no. I won't be shocked if he does get in though.

notorious
03-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Jamaal is the only person that deserves to be in the ring currently on this team.

If Houston keeps raping, he should be, too.

The rest are not great players. Only greatness should be honored.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-13-2015, 05:18 PM
All day long.

ghak99
03-13-2015, 05:27 PM
I really liked the guy, but no.

They should start taking names down on the years there isn't someone worth going up.

kcxiv
03-13-2015, 05:29 PM
I say yes, the shit he did with such shitty fucking QB's is nothing short of amazing! The Chiefs dont have high profile WR's and imo he's one of the best Chiefs recievers in the franchise. Seems as if people will less got up there.

cosmo20002
03-13-2015, 05:30 PM
As of now, 38 people said Yes.
:facepalm:

Mr. Flopnuts
03-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Fuck this bitter ass fan base.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
I say yes, the shit he did with such shitty fucking QB's is nothing short of amazing! The Chiefs dont have high profile WR's and imo he's one of the best Chiefs recievers in the franchise. Seems as if people will less got up there.

The chicken salad he made from chickenshit QB's could feed Eleventy Billion homeless.

notorious
03-13-2015, 06:36 PM
**** this bitter ass fan base.

Well earned.

|Zach|
03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
I don't dislike DB appreciate some of the good things he did but I vote no and it isn't even close.

FloridaMan88
03-13-2015, 07:15 PM
The fact Bowe has the most receptions for a WR in franchise history is more of a reflection of the mediocre history of Chiefs WR's than it is anything great Bowe did.