PDA

View Full Version : Crow's 3/17 Mock

kccrow
03-17-2015, 02:08 AM
Well, went back to my think tank and came out of it half shined up, but here's my latest and greatest. Enjoy...

1. OT Ereck Flowers - Miami (6'6" 329)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2014/12/29/0ap3000000451501.jpg

Large, athletic offensive tackle. Can kick and slide quite well, especially for his size. Good punch, but needs to develop there. Good movement blocker; can step and seal and can set up second level blocks. Picks up blitzes well. Would be best at right tackle, sometimes showing bad technique against speed. Needs to learn to play with better balance and with better hand placement against NFL rushers. Will not get physically overmatched, but must focus on the finer points of playing tackle in the NFL.

Reason: The Chiefs have done quite a bit to bolster their horrendous offensive line in the offseason by trading for Ben Grubbs and signing Pauliasi Fanaika at guard. While the team let center Rodney Hudson walk, they seem confident in Eric Kush who played well in preseason action last season. They also have the #1 pick invensted in Eric Fisher at left tackle. The one gaping hole remains at right tackle. The team has not re-signed Harris, who played okay, and have a relatively unimpressive group to fight for the spot on the roster now. Flowers has shown the ability to lock on to strong-side type defensive ends and completely remove them. He's a plus blocker on the move in the run game as well. Flowers further fortifies the offensive line in an attempt protect Alex Smith and his spleen going into 2015.

2. ILB Stephone Anthony - Clemson (6'3" 243)

http://titletownsoundoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/stephone-200x200.jpg

Solid movement skills, showing the range to cover sideline-to-sideline. Adequate tackler that can lay impressive hits at times. Shows the ability to be a cover linebacker against TEs. Similar to an early Derrick Johnson athletically and physically. Needs to develop technique to shed as well as the strength to be a downhill force, but still makes plays at the line. Looks like a classic MIKE in time.

Reason: The Chiefs really struggled at inside linebacker last season when Derrick Johnson went down. With Johnson in the final year of his contract and getting up there in years, its time for the Chiefs to find a replacement and understudy. Anthony has a similar frame, athleticism, and skill set as Johnson when he came to the NFL out of Texas. Anthony needs work on play recognition and must develop more strength but can contribute early on.

3. WR Tre McBride - William & Mary (6'0" 210)

http://scni.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2012/08/10/WM_TMcBride_t180.jpg?370a03faaa4bde2115f371a02430eb3e6a451be5

Fast and quick receiver with great bulk. Smooth accelerator. Sets up defensive backs well on double-moves. Incredible high point talent, attacks the football. Great hands and shows the ability to make acrobatic catches in traffic. High ceiling player that put up solid numbers against higher level competition. Good at adjusting to deep balls and making big plays down the field. Has the makings of a reliable #2 option that can do everything well.

Reason: The Chiefs brought in Jeremy Maclin as their #1 Wideout and it appears that 2nd year man Albert Wilson will be a solid slot option. After those two, the Chiefs have veteran Jason Avant, who is long in the tooth, and much unproven thereafter. The Chiefs would be wise to get an X receiver that can be a reliable option and also has speed to get deep. McBride has solid deep speed, running a 4.41 and is a reliable receiver that can snag the ball outside of his frame in traffic.

3. DE Henry Anderson - Stanford (6'6" 297)

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Hnery-Anderson-300x200.jpg

Stout defender at the point of attack with the frame to hold. Shows good initial burst and punch, as well as adequate bend to put pressure on the quarterback. Needs to improve his explosiveness. Shows the traits to develop into an elite 3-4 DE at the next level if he's put in a situation where he can develop lower body strength.

Reason: Mike DeVito reduced his salary, but is on a one-year deal yet and Jaye Howard is on the final year of his contract as well. The Chiefs locked up Allen Bailey, but there isn't much after these three. Fans are hopeful Mike Catapano can turn into something but he has yet to prove it. Either way, the Chiefs need to look at the long-term at the position. Anderson is a prototypical 3-4 end that could help solidify the rotation going forward.

4. FS Adrian Amos - Penn State (6'0" 209)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/7815112.jpeg

Very active safety that can cover quite a bit of ground quickly. Can play the ball well and create some turnovers. Sticky in man coverage and plays zone well. Not a lights-out tackler, but effective. All-around solid game that won't cost you big plays. Looks to be a prototypical single-high type that you can rely on. Not an in-the-box safety that can routinely shed moving lineman and make plays downhill. Very similar to Husain Abdullah.

Reason: Tyvon Branch is on a one year deal and Husain Abdullah is going into the final year of his contract. While the Chiefs locked up Ron Parker long-term, they'll need to find a younger player opposite him with a similar skill set to Abdullah. Amos can do everything effectively, but best of all he's very effective as a man cover type and can also be reliable when rolled to single-high. Amos' versatility is exactly what Sutton prefers in his safeties.

5. Traded for OG Ben Grubbs

5. CB Craig Mager - Texas State (5'11" 201)

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00006EZxujPYB0w/t/200/I00006EZxujPYB0w.jpg

Tough corner with outstanding mirror ability. Physical in press. Quick and shifty with plus closing ability to the man and ball. Doesn't give up big plays and limits yards after the catch with great tackling ability. Ability to contest jump balls. Needs some coaching on route recognition at the next level. Adequate deep speed to stick with most any outside target.

Reason: Bob Sutton prefers cover corners that can play physical and Mager is exactly that. With a pending need at the position with Sean Smith's contract up in 2016, as well as concerns over who will be the 4th corner, the Chiefs will need to find a player in the draft at some point. Mager would likely be a day 2 pick if he didn't come from little Texas State with obvious concerns over level of competition.

5. TE Casey Pierce - Kent State (6'3" 244)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/kentwired.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/63/b63a801e-778b-11e4-b46d-c3a7f6bf4301/54795efa65d50.image.jpg?resize=300%2C233

A move tight end, Pierce is a very solid blocker and reliable target. Pierce has a knack for getting open and was essentially all of Kent State's offense in 2014 with 60 catches. Very reliable hands. Even though Pierce won't destroy the seam upfield, he'll find the soft spots in zones and work to get open. Pierce is a classic type tight end that will do everything well and nothing flashy. Very much in the mould of Anthony Fasano.

Reason: The Chiefs let Anthony Fasano go and while they signed Demetrius Harris and Richard Gordon, I'm sure they aren't considering themselves set at the position by any means. Andy Reid showed that he likes to use multiple tight end sets, so it is imperative they find a reliable number two opposite Kelce with Harris coming in for three tight end looks once again while he continues to learn how to block. Pierce is NFL ready as a blocker and effective enough as a receiver to be a 25 catch guy.

6. OC Greg Mancz - Toledo (6'4" 301)

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/400/LN/LNXVHXJSHNKLXUX.20121011163318.jpg

A fundamentally sound offensive linemen with experience at several spots along the front. Extremely well coached in technique. Sets up extremely well in all facets. Takes good angles. Too much ground given up in his pass pro drop. Needs to develop better functional lower body strength.

Reason: The Chiefs let Rodney Hudson inexplicably walk to a division rival leaving themselves with unproven Eric Kush. While Kush looked solid in preseason action, they have to get some insurance. Mancz comes to the NFL with high level technique that would allow him to play effectively if needed, but will have to work on his lower body strength. Mancz has the ability to develop into an effective starter over time. Mancz adds the benefit of having played multiple positions on the offensive line, so he can be a backup at guard as well.

7. OG Mark Glowinski - West Virginia (6'4" 307)

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Mark_Glowinski_West_Virginia-240x225.jpg

A very underrated prospect, Glowinski is a tough and scrappy interior lineman. While he needs some work on technique, the physical tools are there for him to become a starter. Aggressive blocker that will go after defenders. Has shown a nasty demeanor and will knock his guy on his can when given the chance. Effectively steps and seals. Adequate drive off the ball in the run game. Has a good punch and doesn't get bullrushed. High level athleticism as a former left tackle at the JUCO level. Potential to play tackle in the pros. If he works out well, there is potential for him to shoot up boards.

Reason: The Chiefs brought in some new blood at guard, but I'm not overwhelmed by the signing of Fanaika. The Chiefs also could use much better depth, evidenced by the revolving door of misfits they had last year. Glowinski is a powerful and aggressive player that could work out well on the inside and learn behind one of the games better players in Ben Grubbs. With a JUCO background at tackle, there is the potential for Glowinski to also backup the right tackle position.

7. DT Justin Hamilton - Louisiana-Lafayette (6'2' 310)

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/469580439-justin-hamilton-of-the-louisiana-lafayette-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QQ0z7CkEa4qA3YSqeonnVe%2FYs%2FxbUYS2q85A9Oe%2Fo3vPcY5KLF1QlBFN%2F02H%2BmdlaA%3 D%3D

A very powerful, squatty defensive tackle that explodes into offensive lineman and sets the line of scrimmage. A perfect rotational nose tackle type that can occupy blockers and make plays. Hamilton routinely made plays and the backfield for the Cajuns and also garnered some sacks with his surprising quickness for his stature. Has shown the ability to split double-teams and be effective. Easily the best player on the Cajuns defense that every offense had to account for.

Reason: The Chiefs don't look like they'll have cap space to sign a veteran nose tackle to back up Dontari Poe, so they'll need to find someone in the draft. Hamilton's sheer strength and bulk make him a load to handle, but it is his quickness off the snap and into opposing lineman that makes him a nightmare to block one-on-one.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-17-2015, 08:19 AM
Where Is Bryce Petty in the 3rd?

Dave Lane
03-17-2015, 08:31 AM
5 linemen. This draft just screams riveting.

CleveSteve
03-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Thanks crow, I'll have to check out Hamilton. I think I have one more ULL game on the ol' DVR.

Sandy Vagina
03-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Overall, I'm a big fan of the choices you made.

I honestly don't know that Glowinski gets beyond the 4th, much less dropping to a 7th rd pick.. but great if so.

First 3 picks get high grades.. A+ for the first two.. solid B on the WR.
I like Anderson, but still have (undeserved perhaps) faith in Catapano.
Love the Amos pick. Though they signed Branch and Parker, adding Amos ensures that the S position is covered for years.

http://www.animated-smileys.com/emoticons/animated-smileys-score-cards-07.gif

OldSchool
03-17-2015, 09:12 AM

LMAO

kccrow
03-17-2015, 11:26 AM

I'll consider it for the next one... :)

O.city
03-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Amos is a corner, no?

kccrow
03-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Overall, I'm a big fan of the choices you made.

I honestly don't know that Glowinski gets beyond the 4th, much less dropping to a 7th rd pick.. but great if so.

First 3 picks get high grades.. A+ for the first two.. solid B on the WR.
I like Anderson, but still have (undeserved perhaps) faith in Catapano.
Love the Amos pick. Though they signed Branch and Parker, adding Amos ensures that the S position is covered for years.

http://www.animated-smileys.com/emoticons/animated-smileys-score-cards-07.gif

I like Glowinski more than most and I know you do too, but I tried to stick closer to consensus ratings for this one. If I see him start rising up boards I'll definitely move him up.

For some reason I have this uncanny ability to find these 6th, 7th, UDFA rated types early in the process then they start flying up the draft boards... WTF. See Tre McBride. See Quinten Rollins. Etc... I want to keep my sleeper guys to my damn self hahahaha. Glowinski is mine, mine mine!!!! hahaha.

kccrow
03-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Amos is a corner, no?

He played some CB and FS at the State University. Very versatile. He'll be a safety in the NFL though.

O.city
03-17-2015, 11:31 AM
He played some CB and FS at the State University. Very versatile. He'll be a safety in the NFL though.

He's got length and speed. I'd keep him at corner

kccrow
03-17-2015, 11:37 AM
He's got length and speed. I'd keep him at corner

He might work there. I see him as a slot cover type like Abdullah has been used. Would give KC tremendous versatility with their defensive backs for the long haul. He's the one player I absolutely want KC to draft this year. I think he's going to be a good one in the NFL. He's just reliable, and you can't have enough of those types of guys.