View Full Version : Chiefs Dorsey conference call

Mr. Laz
03-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Chiefs GM John Dorsey's Conference Call: What We Learned
Posted 2 hours ago

Pete Sweeney
KCChiefs.com Contributor
media for a conference call on Wednesday

Here’s a roundup of what we learned from general manager John Dorsey’s conference call on Wednesday:

Dorsey started the call by confirming he would be at the University of Missouri tomorrow.

For what it’s worth, the players invited to the NFL Scouting Combine from Missouri were defensive end Markus Golden, offensive guard Mitch Morse, running back Marcus Murphy and DE Shane Ray.

Dorsey feels good about the wide receiver position.
"I think we were lucky enough to acquire a really good football player (Jeremy Maclin) that’s going to help us,” Dorsey said. “We are slowly building some depth that we think we can come in and compete with. We will be able to do some nice things at that position while we head into training camp and preseason.”

Dorsey loves what WR Jason Avant brings to the table.
“Jason, ever since he’s been here I’ve respected his professional approach to the game,” he said. “He is going to go out there and meticulously do his route running, he’s going to secure the ball. It’s always good to have veteran presence around when you have younger players and he can still play at a high level so to me that’s a no brainer in terms of re-signing.”

Dorsey admires what former Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe was able to do for the organization.
“Dwayne’s accomplished a lot,” Dorsey said. “He’s been a team guy, he’s done everything that we’ve asked. To me this is the hard part of the business when you have to make certain decisions like this. I think you guys have seen what I’ve said in my quotes on how I feel towards him and that’s kind of where I am.”

Despite losing center Rodney Hudson to the Raiders, Dorsey believes in Eric Kush.
“Rodney is a very good player, but sometimes you can’t retain all of your players that you hope for and you wish for,” he said. “I have full confidence in Kush. I think he’ll do a nice job. Again, we will always be looking to unfold, just turn those rocks up and just try to make training camp as competitive as we possibly can.”

Dorsey feels offensive lineman Paul Fanaika, who the Chiefs signed as a free agent, will bring healthy competition to the line.

“It’s always good to bring in competition,” Dorsey said. “I think he will make the interior offensive line competitive. He’s proven that he can line up and start in the National Football League. We’re very happy we could get him and now see what he can do in terms of competing in training camp.”

Dorsey also likes OL Ben Grubbs, for whom he surrendered an undisclosed draft pick.

“I think Grubbs is a true professional,” he said. “He’s proven that he can line up and play in the National Football League at a high level. I think he gives us a proven player. He’s a winner. Sometimes things like that unfold and it did and I’m very happy.”

Dorsey thinks a great foundation is being built across the offensive line as a whole.
“On both sides, you want a really strong foundation moving forward,” Dorsey said. “Let’s get into OTAs, let’s get into training camp and let everybody compete, and moving forward, we’ll have some depth there now.”

To Dorsey, bringing back defensive back Ron Parker was “easy.”
“I think the decision was pretty easy,” he said. “I think all along we have all admired his toughness, his versatility to play corner and to play safety. I can envision him playing some roles within Bob Sutton’s defense. He plays safety at a high level and he plays corner. I mean, he’s very versatile. We’ve always said guys that play and are a part of the fabric we talk about, we are going to try to get something done with them.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-GM-John-Dorseys-Conference-Call-What-We-Learned/650eea73-da2b-443f-afeb-50ea5e245cf1

Rausch
03-18-2015, 05:45 PM
It's not being versatile if you suck at one of the other things they ask you to do.

Keep him at S and he should be fine.

Avoid putting him at CB at all costs...

milkman
03-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Fanaika, Fulton, Allen, Sherrod, and whoever the hell I'm forgetting.

All scrubs.

I hope the faith in Kush is warranted, but I don't have any.

This team needs to draft at least 2 O-Linemen, one with the versatility to play guard or tackle, and one with the versatility to play guard or center, and let them and the scrubs and hopes compete for the 3 open spots.

BigMeatballDave
03-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Undisclosed pick for Grubbs? I thought it was a 5th?

Rausch
03-18-2015, 05:55 PM

All scrubs.

This team needs to draft at least 2 O-Linemen, one with the versatility to play guard or tackle, and one with the versatility to play guard or center, and let them and the scrubs and hopes compete for the 3 open spots.

Fulton actually looked like there was some potential. He wasn't bad at all in the running game.

milkman
03-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Fulton actually looked like there was some potential. He wasn't bad at all in the running game.

Lead feet.

He will always be a liability as a pass blocker.

Meatloaf
03-18-2015, 06:02 PM

All scrubs.

Milk, I think many folks are under-rating Allen. He was a pretty darn good player in college, and I suspect he'll either be our "swing" guy for anywhere on the line, or end up as our starting RT. Kid can play.

Meatloaf
03-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Lead feet.

I disagree with this. He has lead feet encased in concrete. But, he was a rookie, so maybe we'll see some improvement in year two. However, those feet may be a problem.....

Rausch
03-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Lead feet.

No argument there.

But at least this late rounder/scrub has a chance to become solid depth or contribute. He wasn't a bag of fail on every down like our LG or often Fish...

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-18-2015, 06:10 PM
How about we don't draft for need, and take BPA? If that BPA is a fatty, so be it.

milkman
03-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Milk, I think many folks are under-rating Allen. He was a pretty darn good player in college, and I suspect he'll either be our "swing" guy for anywhere on the line, or end up as our starting RT. Kid can play.

I liked Allen coming out of college, but not as a guard.

If he competes for the RT spot and wins that job, good.

But I don't want to sit on our thumbs and fail to even try to upgrade those 3 spots.

milkman
03-18-2015, 06:12 PM
How about we don't draft for need, and take BPA? If that BPA is a fatty, so be it.

Because, dipshit, in most spots, there is very little difference in grades between one position player and another, so you should be able to fill a need with BPA.

Meatloaf
03-18-2015, 06:12 PM
I liked Allen coming out of college, but not as a guard.

If he competes for the RT spot and wins that job, good.

But I don't want to sit on our thumbs and fail to even try to upgrade those 3 spots.

In my mind, the wild card is Stephenson. Is he, or isn't he, a guy you can count on? I have no idea what happened between he and the organization last year, but man, it was weird. If he comes to camp ready to play, he'd certainly stabilize things for us. But, really, he's a total mystery to me.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Because, dipshit, in most spots, there is very little difference in grades between one position player and another, so you should be able to fill a need with BPA.

If the fatty is the highest rated "Fisher" in the pool, how is that worth two shits to anyone?

milkman
03-18-2015, 06:16 PM
If the fatty is the highest rated "Fisher" in the pool, how is that worth two shits to anyone?

That's the same exact thought process that "true fan" uses when discussing QB.

Take the best player.

Don't fucking worry about previous picks.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-18-2015, 06:19 PM
That's the same exact thought process that "true fan" uses when discussing QB.

Take the best player.

Don't fucking worry about previous picks.

Mmm.....:hmmm:

You're pretty goddamned crafty, old man.

mdchiefsfan
03-18-2015, 06:24 PM
He plays safety at a high level and he plays corner

LMAO

Red Dawg
03-18-2015, 06:32 PM

All scrubs.

You don't know shit.

milkman
03-18-2015, 06:34 PM
You don't know shit.

Yep.

Never met you.

TimBone
03-18-2015, 06:37 PM
You don't know shit.
Hahaha....this reply was random.

No explanation to follow the claim, either.
Made me laugh.

Coochie liquor
03-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Yep.

Never met you.

Zing...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2015, 07:05 PM
Yep.

Never met you.

ROFL I love you, dad!

RealSNR
03-18-2015, 07:16 PM

All scrubs.

There's plenty of competition for RG. We don't need any more crap that we have to "wait to develop" for an entire season just as we go into the next season with that player as an "unknown," bringing in even more competition the next year and wasting more picks. And C is... well, it is what it is, but I sure as hell hope we don't draft one in the 1st.

We need another tackle in this draft and that's about it.

FloridaMan88
03-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Dorsey feels good about the wide receiver position.
"I think we were lucky enough to acquire a really good football player (Jeremy Maclin) that’s going to help us,” Dorsey said. “We are slowly building some depth that we think we can come in and compete with. We will be able to do some nice things at that position while we head into training camp and preseason.”

The "slowly building depth" part is quite an understatement, considering it has taken two offseasons and counting to build a halfway decent WR depth chart and the Chiefs still aren't close to accomplishing this yet.

Hopefully they continue to address the WR position aggressively in the draft.

milkman
03-18-2015, 09:39 PM
There's plenty of suckasss competition for RG. We don't need any more crap that we have to "wait to develop" for an entire season just as we go into the next season with that player as an "unknown," bringing in even more competition the next year and wasting more picks. And C is... well, it is what it is, but I sure as hell hope we don't draft one in the 1st.

We need another tackle in this draft and that's about it.

FYP

Pasta Little Brioni
03-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Said he's been in contact with 30 random CPers that he attributes the offseason to

RealSNR
03-18-2015, 10:03 PM
FYP

You're being ridiculous.

Fulton and Fanaika aren't Rishaw Johnson and Jeff fucking Linkenbach.

We've got a shit ton of guards on the roster. I guarantee you there's ONE semi-mediocre or maybe even decent RG among them.

staylor26
03-18-2015, 10:24 PM
The "slowly building depth" part is quite an understatement, considering it has taken two offseasons and counting to build a halfway decent WR depth chart and the Chiefs still aren't close to accomplishing this yet.

Hopefully they continue to address the WR position aggressively in the draft.

Bullshit. We have pretty good depth just about everywhere, but the OL and WR. This is year 3. You can't go from 2-14 to a deep all-around team in two offseasons. So no, that's not an understatement.

This team was able to withstand the loss of two starting ILB's, two o linemen, a WR, a DE, a safety, and a revolving door at the LCB spot in year two. This team is MUCH deeper than it was when Dorsey got here.

philfree
03-18-2015, 10:48 PM
With my Chiefs Planet education I think I just read that Dorsey is going to draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. He said building:hmmm:

DaneMcCloud
03-18-2015, 11:17 PM
Bullshit. We have pretty good depth just about everywhere, but the OL and WR. This is year 3. You can't go from 2-14 to a deep all-around team in two offseasons. So no, that's not an understatement.

This team was able to withstand the loss of two starting ILB's, two o linemen, a WR, a DE, a safety, and a revolving door at the LCB spot in year two. This team is MUCH deeper than it was when Dorsey got here.

:clap:

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-19-2015, 04:10 AM
I believe the high round fatty experiment is over.

They're the most surgery-laden and expendable players of all.

Revolve that door, Whistletooth!

Chiefnj2
03-19-2015, 06:04 AM
I have faith that Sutton can make chicken salad out of chicken poo provided he has a pass rush. I have no faith in the other side of the ball.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2015, 06:05 AM

I would say they are paper thin at ILB as well as WR and OL. I don't see the CB depth either.

Buehler445
03-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Yep.

Never met you.

Point goes to Milkman.

I would say they are paper thin at ILB as well as WR and OL. I don't see the CB depth either.

You forgot what it was like with that sisterfucker Pioli. STANFORD ROUTT was the second best corner on the team. Yeah, Owens wasn't very good, but the scrubs we ran out there, Parker, Coleman, etc. were way better than what we've seen.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2015, 06:58 AM
The phrase of the day is:

He’s proven that he can line up and start in the National Football League.

Rausch
03-19-2015, 07:02 AM
I have faith that Sutton can make chicken salad out of chicken poo provided he has a pass rush. I have no faith in the other side of the ball.

This...

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-19-2015, 07:04 AM
The Axl Reidsmith offense would be lucky, LUCKY to crack 28 overall without JC.

Mav
03-19-2015, 07:14 AM
The Axl Reidsmith offense would be lucky, LUCKY to crack 28 overall without JC.
That's actually not true. We have seen this offense without JC.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-19-2015, 07:15 AM
That's actually not true. We have seen this offense without JC.

In a short spurt.

Mav
03-19-2015, 07:16 AM
In a short spurt.
Just thought I'd play devils advocate. But a lot of teams would struggle without a player the caliber of jc.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Just thought I'd play devils advocate. But a lot of teams would struggle without a player the caliber of jc.

Some more than others. :)

tomahawk kid
03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Sure sounds like he's open to getting a veteran center in here.

This makes me happy.

BossChief
03-19-2015, 08:21 AM

He actually lost 5 linemen.

Albert, Asamoah and Scheartz all got overpaid in FA and then we lost Allen to injury and Stephenson to drugs.

Easy 6
03-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Said he's been in contact with 30 random CPers that he attributes the offseason to

LMAO

BossChief
03-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Sure sounds like he's open to getting a veteran center in here.

This makes me happy.

He flat out said Kush will start. If they bring in a FA center, it will be for depth.

tomahawk kid
03-19-2015, 08:33 AM
He flat out said Kush will start. If they bring in a FA center, it will be for depth.

I took the comment of "wanting to make TC as competitive as possible" like me might bring someone in who could at least push Kush.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2015, 08:33 AM

Albert, Asamoah and Scheartz all got overpaid in FA and then we lost Allen to injury and Stephenson to drugs.

Schwartz was a 2.3 mil cap hit last year and 3.1 this year. Asamoah was 2.8 and 4.2 respectively. Those weren't huge cap hits.

staylor26
03-19-2015, 08:36 AM

Very true I didn't even include FA losses such as those guys and Flowers. What Dorsey has done to this roster in such a short amount of time is incredible. It's amazing how little credit he gets for guys like Howard, Parker, Cooper, Fulton, Coleman, Wilson etc. Not every one of those guys are starting quality, but they are all young late round picks/cheap FA signings and provide/provided nice depth.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Very true I didn't even include FA losses such as those guys and Flowers. What Dorsey has done to this roster in such a short amount of time is incredible. It's amazing how little credit he gets for guys like Howard, Parker, Cooper, Fulton, Coleman, Wilson etc. Not every one of those guys are starting quality, but they are all young late round picks/cheap FA signings and provide/provided nice depth.

He's done a good job turning over stones finding good value depth. He's done a crap job at WR and OL. (Grubbs is a step in the right direction hopefully). I'm not sure how much of it is on Dorsey, or how much he is listening to Reid and Andy isn't making good calls for his "system".

staylor26
03-19-2015, 08:45 AM
He's done a good job turning over stones finding good value depth. He's done a crap job at WR and OL. (Grubbs is a step in the right direction hopefully). I'm not sure how much of it is on Dorsey, or how much he is listening to Reid and Andy isn't making good calls for his "system".

That will change after this draft. I garuantee we will be much deeper at WR and OL next season. It's not a coincidence our biggest moves have been WR and OG. Dorsey knows just as well as us where more depth is needed.

RealSNR
03-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Schwartz was a 2.3 mil cap hit last year and 3.1 this year. Asamoah was 2.8 and 4.2 respectively. Those weren't huge cap hits.

Asamoah sucked donkey testicles. I'm glad he walked.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Asamoah sucked donkey testicles. I'm glad he walked.

He was better than McGlynn.

Coochie liquor
03-19-2015, 09:00 AM
Betty White would better than McGlynn.

Qft

bricks
03-19-2015, 09:21 AM

I agree.

I liked him in that aspect of his game. I think he does a good job in space; he pulls and gets in front of his blockers well. That's so beneficial for plays like tosses, sweeps and/or screens.

There could be potential. He could have upside if he develops more leg strength and has a quicker punch at the LOS. I think those two are good starting points if he wants to develop into a good pass blocker. That, and he needs to anchor himself well. He struggled with that last year. It may be a good idea to go into training camp with competition at RG because one never knows maybe Fulton improves in those areas and develops into an excellent starting RG.

I'm cautiously optimistic but yet hopeful.

FloridaMan88
03-19-2015, 10:00 AM

And Dorsey was specifically addressing depth at the WR position, which he said the Chiefs are slowly building depth at. Building depth at the WR position is going slowly in large part because the Chiefs did nothing to address the position last offseason.

xztop123
03-19-2015, 10:22 AM
You're being ridiculous.

Fulton and Fanaika aren't Rishaw Johnson and Jeff ****ing Linkenbach.

We've got a shit ton of guards on the roster. I guarantee you there's ONE semi-mediocre or maybe even decent RG among them.

This.

The O-line depends on the development of Fisher and to a lesser degree Richardson/whoever plays RT.

It sucks because this offense(INCLUDING ALEX SMITH) and Reid's coaching are superbowl level... But we are sink or swim with Eric Fisher and Bob Sutton's performance