PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NCAA Tournament Dollars, Secession from NCAA?

BWillie
03-19-2015, 11:27 AM
CBS has the rights to the NCAA Tournament until roughly 2024. In 2010, the NCAA signed a 14-year $11 BILLION agreement with CBS. Men's basketball almost singlehandedly supports the NCAA. It provides the NCAA with the vast majority of it's overall revenue. You would think Football would right? Nope. Most revenue from the top tier of college football goes to the colleges and conferences directly, not the NCAA.

What I don't understand is why the schools and conferences allow this. It is not in the best interest to large schools & conferences such as the ACC or Kentucky, or even the semi small ones like Big East and American Athletic to allow such a business model to exist, where the schools and conference receive such a minuscule piece of the pie, but in football almost all the money made from the post season goes to back to the school. It gets worse and worse every year as more and more teams try to migrate to D1 to get their piece of the pie.

In 2001, there were 277 teams in D1 baskeball, which in itself is even way too much. Now there are 345 and it keeps going up each year. FBS football only has 128 teams, which I think is much closer to the ideal amount.

I know the NCAA Basketball Tournament keeps the popularity of NCAA Basketball afloat, but the schools are throwing away an opportunity to make money & maximize their own influence. I don't see why they need the NCAA, why can't they succeed from the NCAA, make their own governing committee that can change with the times, and get out of the NCAA bureaucracy. With 128 teams I don't think it would be a good idea to have a 68-team post season tournament, but you could still have a really good an entertaining 32-team tournament filled still with even more upsets, and the games would be way more competitive than a Kentucky team facing a Hampton team.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2015, 05:02 PM
This is going to anger Kansas fans.

Prison Bitch
03-19-2015, 05:29 PM

Why?

03-19-2015, 05:43 PM

LMAO I can only think of a couple years where Kansas would not have made the field of 32.

TribalElder
03-19-2015, 09:53 PM
What

Cbs bought the ncaa?