PDA

View Full Version : KU KU fans..talk to me about Bob Davis

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Do you like listening to this guy on the radio? As a Royals announcer I thought he was horrible. I'm not a KU fan but I do listen to the games while in the car if MU isn't playing. But I really have a hard time listening to this guy call a game.

KU could be up by 18 with 5 min left to go in the 1st and Davis will call a made 3-pt shot as if KU was up by 1 with 10 seconds to go. Every play, every turnover is "the game". One game a KU was trapped with the ball and Davis is screaming at the top of his lungs "HE NEEDS HELP!" almost like he was trying to tell the players on the floor.

Anyhow, I think the guy is just over the top but I'd like to hear what KU fans think of him? FTR, I am a die hard Chiefs fan and I can't stand Mitch Holthus either so I am not trying to make this a bias thing.

KC native
03-20-2015, 03:08 PM
pete thread

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:09 PM
pete thread

Sorry, Native. This thread has nothing to do with race, so move along.

Silock
03-20-2015, 03:11 PM
He's awful. I think most fans dislike him. He's way too biased, even for a KU announcer. And he often gets calls completely wrong.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2015, 03:11 PM
He is what every home town announcer should be for whatever team..

He is extremely biased, dramatic and some what annoying to opposing/home team fans. Same with any college announcer for any college team.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2015, 03:12 PM
He's awful. I think most fans dislike him. He's way too biased, even for a KU announcer. And he often gets calls completely wrong.

Piper was my favorite

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:12 PM
He is what every home town announcer should be for whatever team..

He is extremely biased, dramatic and some what annoying to opposing fans. Same with any college announcer for any college team.

This bias I don't have so much of an issue with though he is extremely biased. It's just the over-enthusiastic way in which he calls the game.

I mean listen to how Denny Matthews calls the Royals going to the World Series and compare that to Davis calling a 3 putting KU up by 20.

Bambi
03-20-2015, 03:13 PM
What's a radio?

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:14 PM

I have to admit it is funny how many times I've heard him call a foul on the opposing team only to be so disappointed to find out it's on KU.

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:15 PM
What's a radio?

Kinda like TV with no pictures.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2015, 03:16 PM
This bias I don't have so much of an issue with though he is extremely biased. It's just the over-enthusiastic way in which he calls the game.

I mean listen to how Denny Matthews calls the Royals going to the World Series and compare that to Davis calling a 3 putting KU up by 20.

Eh, he is what he is... He will probably call KU games until his fat Andy Reid sized ass dies....

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Eh, he is what he is... He will probably call KU games until his fat Andy Reid sized ass dies....

I have no doubt the University loves him from a propaganda standpoint. Was just curious what the fans thought about him.

Lex Luthor
03-20-2015, 03:18 PM

Denny Matthews was a great announcer .....

40 years ago.

If you're using Denny Matthews as the standard for the level of enthusiasm you want in an announcer, you should just watch the games on TV with the sound off. It's the same thing.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2015, 03:19 PM
I have no doubt the University loves him from a propaganda standpoint. Was just curious what the fans thought about him.

Like I said hes okay, but could do without...

KC native
03-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Sorry, Native. This thread has nothing to do with race, so move along.

pete post in a pete thread.

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Denny Matthews was a great announcer .....

40 years ago.

If you're using Denny Matthews as the standard for the level of enthusiasm you want in an announcer, you should just watch the games on TV with the sound off. It's the same thing.

No I was just drawing a contrast between how one acts like going to the world series is meh, and the other acts like a 20 pt lead in a non-con is the awesome.

Stewie
03-20-2015, 03:22 PM
It could be FAR worse. It could be Mike Kelly. He is the one person in the world that can personify depression and suicide in a single sporting event.

petegz28
03-20-2015, 03:23 PM
It could be FAR worse. It could be Mike Kelly. He is the one person in the world that can personify depression and suicide in a single sporting event.

ROFL

Reerun_KC
03-20-2015, 03:27 PM
It could be FAR worse. It could be Mike Kelly. He is the one person in the world that can personify depression and suicide in a single sporting event.whos that?

Stewie
03-20-2015, 03:30 PM
whos that?

You really don't know the name Mike Kelly? He tried really hard to announce
Chiefs' games but failed miserably.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2015, 03:31 PM

No sir I don't.... when did this happen and was it radio or TV?

Prison Bitch
03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Outside of baseball I can't imagine listening to any sports event on radio

Stewie
03-20-2015, 03:35 PM
No sir I don't.... when did this happen and was it radio or TV?

Chiefs preseason TV. He was horrible. He's the voice of Mizzou football and other MU sports that nobody cares about.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Chiefs preseason TV. He was horrible. He's the voice of Mizzou football and other sports that nobody cares about.

Gotcha....

Thanks!

Al Czervik
03-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Chiefs preseason TV. He was horrible. He's the voice of Mizzou football and other MU sports that nobody cares about.

LMAO

BWillie
03-20-2015, 05:34 PM

I have to agree with all of that. He seems like a good guy, I like him as a person but hopefully he retires soon and we can get a change

eDave
03-20-2015, 06:00 PM
I heard he once killed a bear with his own hands. Then popped a beer top off the bears tooth.

Imon Yourside
03-20-2015, 11:28 PM

LMAO i laugh when i hear him. I LOVE Bob Davis btw, guess it's a love or hate thing.

Imon Yourside
03-20-2015, 11:30 PM

I would love to hear it, I like him but only for comedic value..comes off a pick and splashes one home (in the most monotone voice ever) LMAO

Also love the way he pronounces "The Tiger Network"

03-21-2015, 01:53 AM

SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Al Czervik
03-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Bob is a classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGdcWbevQ30

Defy definition LMAO

Eleazar
03-21-2015, 09:27 AM
I was always glad when basketball season rolled around because Bob Davis would take some games off from the Royals broadcasts

Nickel D
03-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Bob Davis gets way too emotionally-invested in the game.

I found 'schaudenfreude' when he would join the Royals broadcasting team immediately after wrapping up the college basketball season. The game's speed would go from frenetic & fast-paced to super slow but he'd still be operating in the former. Funny as hell to hear him struggle to find stuff..anything..to say to fill up the dead time between pitches!

Buehler445
03-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Piper was my favorite

Piper was awesome. Gurley is getting better, but he's not nearly as good.

Outside of baseball I can't imagine listening to any sports event on radio

Drive a tractor for 20 hours a day. You get used to it.

As for the OP, he was better 5 years ago. He is getting old and you can hear it in the broadcast.

But I've been listening to the Westwood 1 tournament coverage on Tune in, and I'll take Bob Davis over even keeled boring ass motherfuckers.

But I like Holtus too. Except that gay assed nickname schtick he was on awhile back and I want to hammer railroad spikes into my ears when they roll out that put the hammer down shit, but on a playcall, I'd rather have someone who cares about the game.

5 years ago, I would have said that the region has some of the best sports coverage around. Holtus is top notch IMO, Bob Davis is really good, and Wyatt Thompson is pretty solid. Bob Davis has went backwards a good bit, and that goofball Stan Weber got goofier and really takes away from what Thompson does.

Imon Yourside
03-21-2015, 03:36 PM
I was always glad when basketball season rolled around because Bob Davis would take some games off from the Royals broadcasts

Misery loving hater.

journeyscarab
03-21-2015, 05:20 PM
I was listening to him during last years tourney and he said KU was down by a touchdown. Now I had a pitcher of blood marys but I wouldn't have confused my sports on the air. I lol'd.

Brock
03-21-2015, 07:14 PM
That'll be a charge on Texas...NO IT'S ON KAY YOOUUU??!?!!