PDA

View Full Version : Electronics IPhone Users: Insight would be appreciated

gblowfish
03-21-2015, 11:35 AM
My phone is a relic, and old flip phone. I'm thinking about upgrading to an I-Phone, but I don't think I need the latest and greatest one. I can buy an I-Phone 5S used for about $250 (more or less). Quetions:

Is the I-Phone 6 that much better where it's worth an extra $300 or so?

Anybody ever have a problem buying a used phone? Things to look out for?

I'm on Sprint, been with them for 20 years. They're gonna charge me and my wife about $95 per month for unlimited talk, text and about 2GB of data. Is that enough "data" for the average phone user? I do most of my internet stuff on my laptop.

Anybody ever heard of Consumer Celular? Think they'd be about 1/3rd cheaper, but they use ATT Phones. My wife's phone is still on a Sprint contract for about another year, and I'd have buy her contract out for about $110.

Thoughts?

Bugeater
03-21-2015, 11:36 AM
1st in with fuck Apple.

TribalElder
03-21-2015, 11:38 AM
I have a 5s and it works fine for me.

I have had it for over a year and it has been much less frustrating than some of the phones I previously owned

chefs fan in omaha
03-21-2015, 11:52 AM
The 5S battery sucks. Mine would be dead by 11AM. I love my 6, battery lasts 2 days and has extra security to reduce thefts.

TribalElder
03-21-2015, 11:56 AM
The 5S battery sucks. Mine would be dead by 11AM. I love my 6, battery lasts 2 days and has extra security to reduce thefts.

What extra security? A wallet chain?

JD10367
03-21-2015, 11:58 AM
My 5c battery is decent.

The 6 turns on with a fingerprint. I think that's the added security he refers to.

That amount of data should be okay as long as you don't watch a lot of streaming video.

RedandGold
03-21-2015, 12:06 PM
Just upgraded to the 6 from a 4S, and it was a significant upgrade. The difference between the 5 and 6 is certainly less drastic, but I would still recommend the 6 due to the improved battery and thumbprint scanner for security.

BigMeatballDave
03-21-2015, 12:14 PM
My advice is NO APPLE PRODUCTS.

:)

srvy
03-21-2015, 12:14 PM
What if the previous owner was a loud talker who spray uncontrollably?

TribalElder
03-21-2015, 12:20 PM
5s has the fingerprint reader

They are still weak because they fall back to a 4 digit pin upon restart

Pitt Gorilla
03-21-2015, 12:24 PM
6 is a nice phone.

Why Not?
03-21-2015, 12:28 PM
George, I have one of each and I highly recommend the 6

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-21-2015, 12:36 PM
George,

I picked up a i6Plus.

Advantages: Bigger screen, therefore bigger keyboard which works well with my meathook fingers (the 5's smaller screen meant the few times I did text (I hate texting, btw), I usually had to do a lot of erasing and retyping).

Also, bigger screen makes it easier for my old eyes to look at stuff (like Chiefsplanet) without squinting. Turn it sideways to get landscape and voila, instant readability.

I splurged for the 128G version. That means my phone has 4000X the memory of my first computer. *sigh* So, I'd have to really try to fill this puppy up.

Disadvantages: It's big. And if you put an Otterbox Defender on it, like I did, it's a bit hefty to carry. It's not just going to go in the front pocket like an old flip phone. However, it'll still work in an interior jacket pocket or a coat pocket. The Otterbox has a belt clip that I use to avoid the whole "don't sit on the phone and bend/break it".

Some may argue that Apple has fewer apps, but honestly, I only have about 20 apps I use and getting them through the Apple Store is a piece of cake. If you've never had a smart phone before, I suspect you'll slowly build up your app collection over time, so in that case, either a 5 or a 6 would do you fine.

Hope this helped.

Deberg_1990
03-21-2015, 12:54 PM
I've had a 5s since last summer and love it

I can't imagine the 6 being $300 better to be honest? Unless it's the plus version?

I plan to upgrade to plus when my contract is up.

2G plan is ok when your just starting out. Most people will start using more and more data over time as they get familiar with the phone and apps. I usually use around 6-7G a month between two iPhone users. I have a 10g plan.

Miles
03-21-2015, 01:20 PM
I had a 5s before my current 6. The 6 is a nice upgrade for screen size but whether it is worth it subjective and I think depends on how much and what you use your phone for. I'd probably just go with a used 5s since it's your first smartphone and apple products are really easy to re-sell whenever you want to upgrade again.

Miles
03-21-2015, 01:22 PM
5s has the fingerprint reader

They are still weak because they fall back to a 4 digit pin upon restart

You can set it to a longer password on restart which isn't a nuisance since there is little need to restart very often.

Otter
03-21-2015, 01:25 PM
What extra security? A wallet chain? My first thoughts as well. Does it turn into a stun gun? Remote control explosion added? Do razor blades pop out the side when fingerprint doesn't match 10 times?

Valiant
03-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Their family plan is 90 bucks for 5 phones and 12gig of data.

individual contracts of unlimited everything for 50 each.

then 3 ways to pay for phone: lease, finance, contract that will add some costs of dividing out the costs of the phone per your choice.

personally go look at the note phones.

BigMeatballDave
03-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Sprint is AIDS.

BigMeatballDave
03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
2 GB of data is plenty for me, but I'm usually near WiFi.

Hootie
03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
you can't sign a contract and get a free phone somewhere? I'd never pay more than $100 for an upgrade and I currently have a GS4

gblowfish
03-21-2015, 02:02 PM
The I-phone 6plus would be around $30/month for 2 years to buy it outright. That's around $720 for the two years. That's quite a bit more than I can get a IPhone 5S for.
Not sure if I want to spend $700 on a phone. Seems excessive.

Buck
03-21-2015, 02:04 PM
The 5s has a sturdy metal chassis and the 6 is made of plastic. One of the huge cons many of the people who upgraded seem to have mentioned.

srvy
03-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Why would you pay this much for a used phone?

I am thinking to get my first personal phone instead of always using what work provides. Friend from work just got a sony experia z3 for 400.00 unlocked. Its amazing and has a 20 mp camera. I expect these to get to about 300.00 when they z4 launches in spring. I am impressed with this android phone sony's current flagship. Heck slickdeals has had a LG G3 for 299.00 unlocked several time this last couple months. Why spend on used yesterdays tech when you can get new excellent phones unless your just locked into apples propriety system.

DaveNull
03-21-2015, 03:27 PM
The 5s has a sturdy metal chassis and the 6 is made of plastic. One of the huge cons many of the people who upgraded seem to have mentioned.

What? No. The iPhone 5C is made of plastic.

George, here's the thing. One you get one of the phones you may end up using it a lot more than you think. If you're really looking to use this phone for 3-4 years then you're likely to have a better experience with a 6. Even a new 5s would be nicer because you won't have a year or two's worth of charging cycles that have gone through it.

Buck
03-21-2015, 03:28 PM
What? No. The iPhone 5C is made of plastic.

George, here's the thing. One you get one of the phones you may end up using it a lot more than you think. If you're really looking to use this phone for 3-4 years then you're likely to have a better experience with a 6. Even a new 5s would be nicer because you won't have a year or two's worth of charging cycles that have gone through it.

Ok. The 5s is made of metal, like I said.

Bwana
03-21-2015, 04:35 PM
George,

I picked up a i6Plus.

Advantages: Bigger screen, therefore bigger keyboard which works well with my meathook fingers (the 5's smaller screen meant the few times I did text (I hate texting, btw), I usually had to do a lot of erasing and retyping).

Also, bigger screen makes it easier for my old eyes to look at stuff (like Chiefsplanet) without squinting. Turn it sideways to get landscape and voila, instant readability.

I splurged for the 128G version. That means my phone has 4000X the memory of my first computer. *sigh* So, I'd have to really try to fill this puppy up.

Disadvantages: It's big. And if you put an Otterbox Defender on it, like I did, it's a bit hefty to carry. It's not just going to go in the front pocket like an old flip phone. However, it'll still work in an interior jacket pocket or a coat pocket. The Otterbox has a belt clip that I use to avoid the whole "don't sit on the phone and bend/break it".

Some may argue that Apple has fewer apps, but honestly, I only have about 20 apps I use and getting them through the Apple Store is a piece of cake. If you've never had a smart phone before, I suspect you'll slowly build up your app collection over time, so in that case, either a 5 or a 6 would do you fine.

Hope this helped.

Yep I have the exact same setup and it's been great.

gblowfish
03-21-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't think I can afford a 128GB phone. Maybe paying $30/mo for the 64GB size over two years might be the way to go.

lewdog
03-21-2015, 04:42 PM
I don't think I can afford a 128GB phone. Maybe paying $30/mo for the 64GB size over two years might be the way to go.

I'm not tech savvy and wanted something easy to use late last year. Got a iPhone 5s new for $99 at Verizon. I actually really like it.

Not sure why you are spending so much for a used phone though? What's your cellphone company?

Miles
03-21-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm not tech savvy and wanted something easy to use late last year. Got a iPhone 5s new for $99 at Verizon. I actually really like it.

Not sure why you are spending so much for a used phone though? What's your cellphone company?

The price he mentioned for a used 5s would be off contract/wouldn't add to monthly bill.

Fire Me Boy!
03-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Ever heard of planned obsolescence? I'd go with a 6.

gblowfish
03-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I hadn't really considered the number of charges on the lithium battery. I guess the batter is hard wired and not replaceable? That sucks. So the number of power ups and power downs would certainly be a factor.

I have a buddy of mine who is a Mac Guru, and he says the next Apple I-Phone 6S is due out this summer, and when it comes out, the current I-Phone 6's will come down in price. So I think I'll wait till summer to upgrade.

Deberg_1990
03-21-2015, 06:48 PM
So if it's an 'official Apple' refurb phone, do they replace the batteries before they resell?

BigMeatballDave
03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
So if it's an 'official Apple' refurb phone, do they replace the batteries before they resell?

Well, one would think, but it is Apple. They think their shit doesn't stink.

tredadda
03-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I hadn't really considered the number of charges on the lithium battery. I guess the batter is hard wired and not replaceable? That sucks. So the number of power ups and power downs would certainly be a factor.

I have a buddy of mine who is a Mac Guru, and he says the next Apple I-Phone 6S is due out this summer, and when it comes out, the current I-Phone 6's will come down in price. So I think I'll wait till summer to upgrade.

Honestly from the 5S on you an't really go wrong. One of the biggest advantages to the IPhone is the ease of use.

Miles
03-21-2015, 07:04 PM

Their launch cycle is usually around end of September and like you friend said there will likely be some deals on the 6 leading up to that. Maybe 100-200 savings or so.

BigMeatballDave
03-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Honestly from the 5S on you an't really go wrong. One of the biggest advantages to most Smartphones is the ease of use. Unless you have no fingers.

Fixed

GloryDayz
03-21-2015, 07:30 PM
If you must..... 6-mega with every bit of everything they will shove in it for you. It might last 18 months before it's the latest Apple dumb-phone, won't run their shit, and lasts about 6 hours before you have to find an outlet.

Buy the battery case, you might as well get used to it early.

L.A. Chieffan
03-21-2015, 11:39 PM
$95 seems high if you're using your own equipment and only getting 2 gigs

TribalElder
03-22-2015, 01:01 AM
I have a buddy of mine who is a Mac Guru, and he says the next Apple I-Phone 6S is due out this summer

Wait... Does the S in the version number stand for Summer like the Summer edition

MindBlown.gif

Miles
03-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Wait... Does the S in the version number stand for Summer like the Summer edition

MindBlown.gif

Don't be an ass by giving someone who it using an old flip phone shit about not knowing the launch cycles.

TribalElder
03-22-2015, 02:22 AM
Don't be an ass by giving someone who it using an old flip phone shit about not knowing the launch cycles.

I wasn't actually

Until,that moment I didn't realize that

If it is in fact true

If it is I learned something

I know ubuntu Linux stupid release number madness year.month

I did not know the S thing if that is real. Seriously.

I always figured is meant second edition or someshit

gblowfish
03-22-2015, 07:58 AM
$95 seems high if you're using your own equipment and only getting 2 gigs

It includes my wife's phone too.

GloryDayz
03-22-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm not fan of AT&T, but 2 of our 3 phones have unlimited data from 7-8 years ago. And we can't change anything or we'd be stuck with the new crazy rates.

It's the one thing that I'm happy I did get.

It's amazing how quickly you can start using some serious data..

Deberg_1990
03-22-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm not fan of AT&T, but 2 of our 3 phones have unlimited data from 7-8 years ago. And we can't change anything or we'd be stuck with the new crazy rates.

It's the one thing that I'm happy I did get.

It's amazing how quickly you can start using some serious data..

Wow. Nice to get 'Granfathered' in. Sweet deal!

loochy
03-22-2015, 10:08 AM
My phone is a relic, and old flip phone. I'm thinking about upgrading to an I-Phone, but I don't think I need the latest and greatest one. I can buy an I-Phone 5S used for about $250 (more or less). Quetions:

Is the I-Phone 6 that much better where it's worth an extra $300 or so?

Anybody ever have a problem buying a used phone? Things to look out for?

I'm on Sprint, been with them for 20 years. They're gonna charge me and my wife about $95 per month for unlimited talk, text and about 2GB of data. Is that enough "data" for the average phone user? I do most of my internet stuff on my laptop.

Anybody ever heard of Consumer Celular? Think they'd be about 1/3rd cheaper, but they use ATT Phones. My wife's phone is still on a Sprint contract for about another year, and I'd have buy her contract out for about $110.

Thoughts?

its going to change your life

seriously

the convenience of having all of that info available to you all the time is a major game changer

BigMeatballDave
03-23-2015, 01:38 PM
My SiL has a 6+. Very nice looking phone. If there was a way to run Android on it, I'd definitely get one.

GESteve
03-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Order online IPhone 6 299.00 don't do the next plan will cost you $800.00 Just order from Apple $299.99 done deal 64 gig 199.99 for 16 gig