PDA

View Full Version : Football FoodGuys BBQ bracket

Hammock Parties
03-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Not sure if I agree...

http://www.kcfoodguys.com/wp-content/uploads/BBQ-Bracket-After-Round-25.png

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Joe's KC -v- Bandanas right off the bat 1st round is xenophobic pussy shit.

O.city
03-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Never been to q39, when did it open?

BWillie
03-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Well, LC's didn't lost first round so I don't agree.

Jack Stack, Q39, Joes should be in the Final Four. Not sure how Gates got a #1 seed. They are more like an overachieving 4 seed.

WhawhaWhat
03-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Winslows beat Rosedale?

KCUnited
03-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Plowboys? No thanks.

gblowfish
03-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Plowboys over Big T's is wrong. Q39 is just the darling right now, no real history of staying power. Shit, it might be a sushi bar a year from now. There is no clear winner here. Trying to say one BBQ is the best is like saying one religion in the best. It's a very closed minded exercise.

BWillie
03-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Plowboys over Big T's is wrong. Q39 is just the darling right now, no real history of staying power. Shit, it might be a sushi bar a year from now. There is no clear winner here. Trying to say one BBQ is the best is like saying one religion in the best. It's a very closed minded exercise.

Kind of. Certain people prefer certain things, but at some point, the quality of the food matters. If anybody picks Gates over Joes, they are just doing so out of spite.

kysirsoze
03-27-2015, 12:14 PM
I think someone who prefers Jack Stack over Arthur Bryants must be more of a "sides" kind of person. The meat is about 90% of how I judge a BBQ restaurant and between those two, it's not close, IMO.

O.city
03-27-2015, 12:16 PM
I miss kc q

The Franchise
03-27-2015, 12:21 PM
If a tourist was coming in....what would be the top 3 places that they would need to eat at?

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 12:23 PM
I think someone who prefers Jack Stack over Arthur Bryants must be more of a "sides" kind of person. The meat is about 90% of how I judge a BBQ restaurant and between those two, it's not close, IMO.

'meat' --> AB>JS
'ribs' --> JS>>AB

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 12:24 PM
If a tourist was coming in....what would be the top 3 places that they would need to eat at?

Bryants - old school KC institution

Joe's KC - new school straight wrecking shit up

JackStack - sit down and be as civilized as one can be with BBQ sauce.

O.city
03-27-2015, 12:25 PM
'meat' --> AB>JS
'ribs' --> JS>>AB

I like Bryant ribs better actually.

Hammock Parties
03-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Bryants - old school KC institution

Joe's KC - new school straight wrecking shit up

JackStack - sit down and be as civilized as one can be with BBQ sauce.

Skip stack and go to Q39.

kysirsoze
03-27-2015, 12:27 PM
'meat' --> AB>JS
'ribs' --> JS>>AB

Probably true. I rarely go ribs at AB. Burnt ends are too good.

Meatloaf
03-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Never been to q39, when did it open?

O, I think it's been open for about a year now. A bit pricier than most, but very good bbq.

BWillie
03-27-2015, 12:28 PM
I feel like Bryant's has gotten a bad rap, I to like their ribs, they aren't the best best, but they are still very good.

And, sorry to get off topic, but what do you guys know about Memphis BBQ? I'm going to head down there sometime, and want to try some places. Anybody know what is good? I hear they have good rubs.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Well, LC's didn't lost first round so I don't agree.

Jack Stack, Q39, Joes should be in the Final Four. Not sure how Gates got a #1 seed. They are more like an overachieving 4 seed.

Jack Stack should be DQ'd for their "burnt ends" alone. **** them and their cubed brisket.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 12:30 PM
I feel like Bryant's has gotten a bad rap, I to like their ribs, they aren't the best best, but they are still very good.

And, sorry to get off topic, but what do you guys know about Memphis BBQ? I'm going to head down there sometime, and want to try some places. Anybody know what is good? I hear they have good rubs.

Hit me up in PM, been there many times and have a good friend who shows me around. Or I can do it here, if no one minds the thread hijack.

kysirsoze
03-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Jack Stack should be DQ'd for their "burnt ends" alone. **** them and their cubed brisket.

This. When I ordered burnt ends there, I thought they brought me the wrong dish.

Meatloaf
BTW, if you guys haven't tried SLAP's (Squeal Like A Pig), you should give it a shot. Just a tiny place over at about 5th and Central in KCK. Family run. Pretty darned good.

Hammock Parties

I learned this the hard way.

By the way, does anyone know a deli or something where I can buy burnt ends by the pound? McGonigle's are excellent, but $15 a pound is getting pricey.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
I learned this the hard way.

By the way, does anyone know a deli or something where I can buy burnt ends by the pound? McGonigle's are excellent, but $15 a pound is getting pricey.

I think you can buy them by the pound at Gates. But it's been 7-8 years since I've had the opportunity, so I could be mistaken.

And FWIW, Gates was always my favorite for burnt ends.

BWillie
03-27-2015, 12:36 PM
BTW, if you guys haven't tried SLAP's (Squeal Like A Pig), you should give it a shot. Just a tiny place over at about 5th and Central in KCK. Family run. Pretty darned good.

Ha! Amazing name. Going to give it a try.

Meatloaf
03-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Ha! Amazing name. Going to give it a try.

Got there a bit late one day and ordered a turkey and sausage sandwich. They said that was the last of the sausage. Guy behind me said "Nooooo!", so I said let him have the sausage. When I got my plate, I found my order PLUS 3 ribs! That's kinda how they run. Very nice folks.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 12:43 PM

Screw the hijack...

Rendezvous is the famous place, but it's for tourists. I'd skip it. It's good, but Memphis has much better to offer.

Central is outstanding, don't go after dark without a weapon, lots of bad shit happens down there. The Barbecue Shop is another really good local place. I actually prefer it to Central, but Central is better known. You can't go wrong at either place. Interstate (owned by the Nealys) is good, too, but it'd be third on my list.

Memphis is all about pork, so I'd generally pass on the brisket, stick with ribs, pulled pork, etc. But you know what they say: Even bad barbecue is pretty good barbecue. And it's not like the beef is bad. They just know pork better.

A couple of regional specialties: BBQ spaghetti. It's exactly what it sounds like, spaghetti with BBQ sauce and pork in it. It's pretty good, try it.

My personal favorite and is a MUST TRY: BBQ bologna. It's amazing. The roasting and sauce changes it, doesn't taste like bologna. Trust me. Seriously. Just get one.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 12:44 PM

I think you can buy them by the pound at Gates. But it's been 7-8 years since I've had the opportunity, so I could be mistaken.

And FWIW, Gates was always my favorite for burnt ends.

Sneads spoiled me as a kid for burnt ends [they sold them as 'brownies']. Don't even bother looking for them any more.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Sneads spoiled me as a kid for burnt ends. Don't even bother looking for them any more.

I never had the pleasure. I always really liked Gates, and it helped when I worked in KC I was never far from one. I like AB's, but I'm not huge on their sauce.

I asked for burnt ends once at a BBQ place here in Alabama on the off chance someone knew what I was saying... one of the cooks came out after the waitress looked at me like an alien. I tried to explain, and he came out with chopped up brisket. I'm not sure he even knew the difference between the point and the flat.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Screw the hijack...

To really hijack, have you tried Gus' Hot Chicken? If so, what did you think? I have been pining for the experience ever since I heard about it, and I'm not even that big of a fried chicken fan.

I've laid over in Memphis countless times, never once stepped out of the terminal.

Also, when I had the bootheel WC dockets, I was within spitting distance, but Lamberts was on the way HOME in Sikeston, so. . .

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 12:55 PM
To really hijack, have you tried Gus' Hot Chicken? If so, what did you think? I have been pining for the experience ever since I heard about it, and I'm not even that big of a fried chicken fan.

I've laid over in Memphis countless times, never once stepped out of the terminal.

Second best fried chicken I've ever had. I usually end up in Memphis anywhere from two to four times a year, and I always find my way to Gus's and the Barbecue Shop every time I'm there.

Second only to a little ol' lady in Baton Rouge who caters by appointment only out of the front room of her house. We ate on fold out card tables. My buddy there who set me up usually pays her in cognac. True story.

O.city
03-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Gus' s fried chicken is phenomenal. Definitely go there.

DaveNull
03-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Why the hell was Famous Dave's even on there?

Might as well put McDonalds on there too since they sell the McRib when it's in season.

Dartgod
03-27-2015, 01:02 PM

I know one of the owners, Joe. Real good guy. They won the BBQ Pitmasters contest last year.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Why the hell was Famous Dave's even on there?

Might as well put McDonalds on there too since they sell the McRib when it's in season.

Famous Dave's might be derided as an interloping chain, but they at least meet the standard of slow smoking rubbed meats over hardwood coals.

That alone sets it apart from 'the McRib.'

They're not the best, and way too many of their sauces are corn syrup based to be respectable, but they are following protocol at least.

Also, not technically BBQ, but Wilbur's Revenge is a sauce heat freaks owe themselves to seek out at least once in their life.

For that matter, Texas Roadhouse is capable of a transcendent Rib on occasion. Doesn't happen every time, but last fall I had one that had more smoky flavor in a single rib than most places can fit in an entire platter. Further, could smash the rib bone between thumb and forefinger and dig out the marrow with a butter knife.

BWillie
03-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Screw the hijack...

Rendezvous is the famous place, but it's for tourists. I'd skip it. It's good, but Memphis has much better to offer.

Central is outstanding, don't go after dark without a weapon, lots of bad shit happens down there. The Barbecue Shop is another really good local place. I actually prefer it to Central, but Central is better known. You can't go wrong at either place. Interstate (owned by the Nealys) is good, too, but it'd be third on my list.

Memphis is all about pork, so I'd generally pass on the brisket, stick with ribs, pulled pork, etc. But you know what they say: Even bad barbecue is pretty good barbecue. And it's not like the beef is bad. They just know pork better.

A couple of regional specialties: BBQ spaghetti. It's exactly what it sounds like, spaghetti with BBQ sauce and pork in it. It's pretty good, try it.

My personal favorite and is a MUST TRY: BBQ bologna. It's amazing. The roasting and sauce changes it, doesn't taste like bologna. Trust me. Seriously. Just get one.

:thumb:

Thanks! Maybe I'll do a Gay day with BWillie and post my experiences with the CP world.

srvy
03-27-2015, 01:56 PM
I never had the pleasure. I always really liked Gates, and it helped when I worked in KC I was never far from one. I like AB's, but I'm not huge on their sauce.

I asked for burnt ends once at a BBQ place here in Alabama on the off chance someone knew what I was saying... one of the cooks came out after the waitress looked at me like an alien. I tried to explain, and he came out with chopped up brisket. I'm not sure he even knew the difference between the point and the flat.

Thats my problem with AB that sauce if you could just bring your own and not feel guilty.

Worked on a survey at old Municipal Stadium after it was torn down. My crew mate had never eaten AB I took him there, he asked you going in. I said nope but ask for your sauce on side. Well what do you recommend and told him the long ends and fries. He came out with a sack grease already soaking through. I asked what he got and said 1/4 chicken sandwich. It was wrapped in this orangish red paper already soaked in grease. He opened and it was a 1/4 chicken bones and all between 2 pieces white bread. He asked me what the fuck I do with this. I said pick up the chicken and pick the bones clean sop that juice with that bread your in heaven. He loved it and cleaned them bones but didnt like that nasty gritty sauce.

This by the way was when AB was still alive and he was living above the restaurant.

srvy
03-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Famous Dave's might be derided as an interloping chain, but they at least meet the standard of slow smoking rubbed meats over hardwood coals.

That alone sets it apart from 'the McRib.'

They're not the best, and way too many of their sauces are corn syrup based to be respectable, but they are following protocol at least.

Also, not technically BBQ, but Wilbur's Revenge is a sauce heat freaks owe themselves to seek out at least once in their life.

For that matter, Texas Roadhouse is capable of a transcendent Rib on occasion. Doesn't happen every time, but last fall I had one that had more smoky flavor in a single rib than most places can fit in an entire platter. Further, could smash the rib bone between thumb and forefinger and dig out the marrow with a butter knife.

I can vouch for that myself I got the steak and rib plate and man loved those ribs. I also have had it when it wasnt nearly as perfect.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 02:09 PM
:thumb:

Thanks! Maybe I'll do a Gay day with BWillie and post my experiences with the CP world.

Ha! Gay day would be awesome.

Breakfast - Brother Juniper's
Lunch - Central
Dinner - The Barbecue Shop

Another non-BBQ place that is outstanding in Memphis: Soul Fish Cafe. Fried okra is the must-have. I swear, there's meth in their breading.

Wear sweatpants.

gblowfish
03-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Some comments on various things mentioned:

Memphis: The Rendevous is a tourist BBQ place, kinda like Jack Stack is in KC. It's OK, but over-rated. Interstate, Central, Neely's and Corky's are the local places. I've brought home sauce from all of these that I've bought in Arkansas Krogers before.

KC: Bryant's original sauce is tart and tangy, with vinegar and paprika. Its not like traditional molasses or brown sugar sauces. That's what makes it unique. Lots of people don't like it. I love it. They also make a sweet sauce more in line with other KC BBQ sauces, and it's excellent on poultry like chicken or turkey. If you order a combo sandwich at ABs, one of the meat choices can be ribs. So, you can get brisket and ribs, or burnt ends and ribs, or whatever.

Gates burnt ends are pretty greasy. I actually think Smokin' Guns or Zarda's burnt ends are better, because they're not soaking in grease.

I think Gates ribs are the best, ABs is a very close second. Zarda and Rosedale's ribs are the worst, too fatty, more like eating pork pot roast.

Jack Stack is best for beans. LC's for a straight brisket sandwich. AB has the best fries.

Joe's KC (Okla Joes) is probably the best all around, where nothing is really bad. Their meats are all very good. I think they put too much seasoning on the fries, but that's just me.

Big T's has the best sausage. They make a combo plate that has beef, turkey, ribs, sausage and fries for about $15. Massive amount of food, it can feed 2 to 3 people.

Renegade
03-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Wow. Is Oklahoma Joe's playing in the NIT of KC BBQ?

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Some comments on various things mentioned:

Memphis: The Rendevous is a tourist BBQ place, kinda like Jack Stack is in KC. It's OK, but over-rated. Interstate, Central, Neely's and Corky's are the local places. I've brought home sauce from all of these that I've bought in Arkansas Krogers before.

Seriously, try Barbecue Shop. Corky's is good, too.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Wow. Is Oklahoma Joe's playing in the NIT of KC BBQ?

OK Joe's changed their name to Joe's Kansas City.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
I can get Corky's sauce in the grocery store down here and it's stupid fucking cheap for how good it is. Making some country style pork ribs this weekend with it.

O.city
03-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Rendezvous is worth the while though, if you've never been there.

DJJasonp
03-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Im dating myself....but its a damn shame seeing how the once mighty has fallen all the way to a 9 seed (haywards).

Still have yet to have a better onion ring (not that that makes a great bbq joint....just sayin)

Hammock Parties
03-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Im dating myself....but its a damn shame seeing how the once mighty has fallen all the way to a 9 seed (haywards).

Still have yet to have a better onion ring (not that that makes a great bbq joint....just sayin)

BRGR blows away any other onion ring on this planet.

http://www.kansastravel.org/10brgr3.JPG

KCTitus
03-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Rendezvous is worth the while though, if you've never been there.

+1

Havent been there personally, but had someone gift us some of their ribs via FedEx one year for Christmas and damn...I can only imagine that fresh out of the smoker. Sauce is excellent too.

OnTheWarpath15
03-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Does anyone in KC offer a pulled pork and brisket sandwich?

Had one while in Alabama this week. Imagine a Big Mac style setup with pork on one level and brisket on the other.

Phenomenal.

TimBone
03-27-2015, 07:04 PM
I call bullshit on the folks claiming great ribs at Texas Roadhouse. Those things have to be oven baked with liquid smoke.

Hammock Parties
03-27-2015, 07:09 PM
I call bullshit on the folks claiming great ribs at Texas Roadhouse. Those things have to be oven baked with liquid smoke.

They're probably fucking microwaved.

TimBone
03-27-2015, 07:10 PM

Had one while in Alabama this week. Imagine a Big Mac style setup with pork on one level and brisket on the other.

Phenomenal.
What part of Alabama?

OnTheWarpath15
03-27-2015, 07:10 PM
What part of Alabama?

Prattville, north of Montgomery.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Are you still in town? I live like 10 miles away, wife works in P'ville. Which restaurant? Jim 'n Nick's, I'm guessing.

TimBone
03-27-2015, 07:18 PM
I know Prattville. I was stationed at Troy in 2006, just south of Montgomery. Never had any BBQ from Prattville, though. What's the name? I'll have to try it next time I'm that way.

OnTheWarpath15
03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Are you still in town? I live like 10 miles away, wife works in P'ville. Which restaurant? Jim 'n Nick's, I'm guessing.

Yeah, Jim and Nicks. Was down there Saturday-Wednesday to play golf at RTJ Capitol Hill.

We were a little hesitant when we heard it was a chain joint, but that sandwich was awesome.

Wish I had known you were in that area, would have made a point to catch up.

srvy
03-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Have you tried them. I got the 8oz steak and ribs deal just to try and was pleasantly surprised.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 07:25 PM
Yeah, Jim and Nicks. Was down there Saturday-Wednesday to play golf at RTJ Capitol Hill.

We were a little hesitant when we heard it was a chain joint, but that sandwich was awesome.

Wish I had known you were in that area, would have made a point to catch up.

Yeah, bummer. Next time. I could have maybe hooked you up with some RTJ passes, too. The RSA, who owns RTJ, is the primary investor in the company I work for.

OnTheWarpath15
03-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Yeah, bummer. Next time. I could have maybe hooked you up with some RTJ passes, too. The RSA, who owns RTJ, is the primary investor in the company I work for.

I'll definitely be back down. Those three courses were awesome.

Only bitch is that it's 9 hours each way. I'm going to try to make a point to come down again this summer - if I do, I'll give you a shout.

TimBone
03-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Have you tried them. I got the 8oz steak and ribs deal just to try and was pleasantly surprised.
Yeah, when I was a kid. And I've eaten different franchise(outback, etc.) ribs a couple of times as an adult. They taste like straight up oven baked ribs slathered in bbq sauce. Not bad. Decent tasting, actually. Just not BBQ.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2015, 07:33 PM
I'll definitely be back down. Those three courses were awesome.

Only bitch is that it's 9 hours each way. I'm going to try to make a point to come down again this summer - if I do, I'll give you a shout.

Please do. I drive through Prattville on my way to work every morning.

srvy
03-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Yeah, when I was a kid. And I've eaten different franchise(outback, etc.) ribs a couple of times as an adult. They taste like straight up oven baked ribs slathered in bbq sauce. Not bad. Decent tasting, actually. Just not BBQ.

I have ate as lot of ribs in my life at a lot of bbq joints. Some good some bad but I have always been burned on ribs at a franchise, especially a steakhouse franchise. I tried on a whim at Liberty, Mo location and man it was heaven melt in mouth fall off bone good with great smoky flavor. I was stunned and have had several times since only one time was it below par. But like all franchise you can go to one and be amazed then go to anther location and get low grade dog poo.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 08:14 PM
I have ate as lot of ribs in my life at a lot of bbq joints. Some good some bad but I have always been burned on ribs at a franchise, especially a steakhouse franchise. I tried on a whim at Liberty, Mo location and man it was heaven melt in mouth fall off bone good with great smoky flavor. I was stunned and have had several times since only one time was it below par. But like all franchise you can go to one and be amazed then go to anther location and get low grade dog poo.

Yeah, I got mine with a free app coupon or I wouldn't have bothered. I'm more than happy with a cowboy cut and a baked potato. Surprised the heck out of me how good it was.

BigRedChief
03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Joes of KC vs. Jack Stack in the finals.

Dave Lane
03-27-2015, 08:32 PM
I like Bryant ribs better actually.

And Gates is the winner in this category. Their short ends are things dreams are made of.

Dave Lane
03-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Q39 is overpriced and pretty meh. Its good but not great.

Hammock Parties
03-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Q39 is overpriced and pretty meh. Its good but not great.

Bollocks.

It's better than Jack Stack's, easy.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Could have told you that before the tournament started.

srvy
03-27-2015, 08:43 PM

I think Jack Stack is grossly overrated. The praise I always hear its always the sides. Man those bean and cheesy corn was good. The Q is just ok and I have been there a lot when they were one Smokestack. We would work in Martin City the guys always wanted to stop in. The older one at the spit in old I believe prospect we went sometimes they guys raved about but just never got it. Smokehouse in Gladstone blows it away.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 08:44 PM

Haywards was one of my earliest true disappointments in KC BBQ. So many raved about it back in the day, then we went and it was extremely meh.

Nothing bad, just nothing that stood out. Blandest sauce around to boot.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
I think Jack Stack is grossly overrated. The praise I always hear its always the sides. Man those bean and cheesy corn was good. The Q is just ok and I have been there a lot when they were one Smokestack. We would work in Martin City the guys always wanted to stop in. The older one at the spit in old I believe prospect we went sometimes they guys raved about but just never got it. Smokehouse in Gladstone blows it away.

Go FreightHouse and get the lamb ribs.

srvy
03-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Go FreightHouse and get the lamb ribs.

Smoked lamb ribs thats old school cant see how it wouldn't be delicious. Sounds like a good Easter Sunday after Church lunch. I will have to throw that one at the old ball and chain.

suzzer99
03-27-2015, 09:11 PM
My uncle and Danny Edwards are lifelong friends. Good to see him getting some love. It sucks that he closes every year when I'm back for Xmas.

Baby Lee
03-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Smoked lamb ribs thats old school cant see how it wouldn't be delicious. Sounds like a good Easter Sunday after Church lunch. I will have to throw that one at the old ball and chain.

I'm not even that big a fan of Jack Stack's cheesy corn. Our family makes a cheesy corn that suspends the corn and shredded cheddar in sweet cornbread with cream cheese that I prefer to regular corn in a cheese sauce.

Reaper16
03-28-2015, 07:26 AM

You can get a pork & brisket combo sandwich pretty much anywhere in KC. Sometimes the pork will be sliced & not pulled (Bryant's does it this way), but yeah -- the combo is sort of a staple option.

Strongside
03-28-2015, 08:08 AM
The fact that winslow's advanced even one round completely negates the validity of this bracket for me. That is the worst restaurant in KC, BBQ or otherwise.

O.city
03-28-2015, 08:41 AM
If any of you are ever in springfielf, hit up rib shack. It's soLid.

DJJasonp
03-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Haywards was one of my earliest true disappointments in KC BBQ. So many raved about it back in the day, then we went and it was extremely meh.

Nothing bad, just nothing that stood out. Blandest sauce around to boot.

it was pretty good.....in the 80s or so.....had to wait an hour or more sometimes to get seated.

Went downhill pretty quickly in the mid to late 90s unfortunately.

But of course (as always with these threads)....taste is subjective.

And for the record, I still love their sauce (but maybe mostly because it reminds me of being a kid????)

Baby Lee
03-28-2015, 09:28 AM
it was pretty good.....in the 80s or so.....had to wait an hour or more sometimes to get seated.

Went downhill pretty quickly in the mid to late 90s unfortunately.

But of course (as always with these threads)....taste is subjective.

And for the record, I still love their sauce (but maybe mostly because it reminds me of being a kid????)

Sounds right, late 80s/early 90s is when I recall people raving and we probably 1st went there about fall 94 or 95.

srvy
03-28-2015, 10:32 AM
When Haywards moved from old Cherokee shopping center to College Blvd. and Antioch it went downhill. I think Haywood Spears Jr wanted to retire and take it easy but known his kids wanted to buy and run the business. He took on some partners and you know how that goes. Mr Spear's sold it to a former employee who was his firetender. This was in 2014 sometime and I haven't gotten out there yet. Hayward is still there as a consultant and the new owner hired away OK Joe's former pit master. Owners wife is local Jazz singer DJ Sweeney and she supposedly performs there along with serving. Might be time to give it another try.

Titty Meat
03-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Gates never gets any love. Good meat best fries.