PDA

View Full Version : Science B-52 turns 60!

gblowfish
03-27-2015, 02:59 PM
No, not Fred Schneider, but the Boeing B-52 Bomber. In the USAF arsenal for sixty years.

Still a bad ass war bird.

Cool pictures at this link:

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-b-52-bomber-turns-60-photos/?ftag=ACQf1069b9

Discuss Thrower
03-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Wonder how much modern avionics and other cutting edge mechanics winds up shortening our newer planes' lifespans..

kcfanXIII
03-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Wonder how much modern avionics and other cutting edge mechanics winds up shortening our newer planes' lifespans..

They've retro fitted all the old planes with modern avionics. The reason this plane and other older birds stay in use really comes down to perfect design from the beginning. Why try to design a new strategic bomber when we already have one that meets our needs? The A-10 has fallen into this category as well. Why spend all that time and money to design and build another plane for close support, when they nailed it the first time?

Hydrae
03-27-2015, 03:38 PM
They've retro fitted all the old planes with modern avionics. The reason this plane and other older birds stay in use really comes down to perfect design from the beginning. Why try to design a new strategic bomber when we already have one that meets our needs? The A-10 has fallen into this category as well. Why spend all that time and money to design and build another plane for close support, when they nailed it the first time?

Because the military industrial complex has to eat too!

FlaChief58
03-27-2015, 03:48 PM

Both bad ass war machines!

teedubya
03-27-2015, 03:52 PM
LOVE SHACK BABY!!!

Trivers
03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
There will be a B-52 at the EAA airshow in Wisconsin this year.

FlaChief58
03-27-2015, 05:03 PM
LOVE SHACK BABY!!!

Rock lobster

bevischief
03-27-2015, 05:18 PM

The B-52 is just about to start going thru another update on avionics and the Air Force is debating about an engine upgrade as well.

Discuss Thrower
03-27-2015, 05:24 PM

I mean I get that, but the B-52 and the Warthog aren't anywhere near dependent on modernized avionics like the F-22, B-2 or (absolute boondoggle) F-35 are... Avionics and higher tech materials.

It just seems like there has to be a lot of planned obsolesence in these designs than there were in the Stratofortress...

GloryDayz
03-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Ah, always worth another watch....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yTesoaXFaEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alpha_omega
03-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Good for Boeing and good for the USA.

I thought they were trying to get rid of the A10????

GloucesterChief
03-27-2015, 07:59 PM

The Air Force has tried to decommission the A-10 several times. They hate going slow and low.

The only reason they don't is that the Army has said they would take the A-10 are reestablish the Army Air Corps if the Air Force decommissioned. The AF of course wants to be the only land based pilots.

GloryDayz
03-27-2015, 08:09 PM
The Air Force has tried to decommission the A-10 several times. They hate going slow and low.

The only reason they don't is that the Army has said they would take the A-10 are reestablish the Army Air Corps if the Air Force decommissioned. The AF of course wants to be the only land based pilots.

I have nothing but great things to say about the A-10 and the men who flew/fly them, they are fucking awesome, but I have to admit they don't seem very un-Air Force. Just a little too dirty, low-tech'ish, and scrappy for what most people think of the Air Force.

But you're right, I'm sure both the Army and Marines would gladly take them over. Hell anybody who drags their dick in the dirt while fighting wants to know there's one loitering close by...

TrebMaxx
03-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Ah, always worth another watch....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yTesoaXFaEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My favorite warplane.

GloryDayz
03-27-2015, 08:56 PM
My favorite warplane.

Not a tough call for folks who have really appreciated the sound. I'm pretty sure those on the other end were hoping their governments provided life insurance. Badass plane, seriously mean bullets.

Why Not?
03-27-2015, 10:30 PM
If you have a B-52, you can roam if you want to

sd4chiefs
03-27-2015, 11:03 PM
F * C K. I am older than the first B-52. :banghead:

GloryDayz
03-27-2015, 11:16 PM
F * C K. I am older than the first B-52. :banghead:
Was Jesus cool? . Ha!!!!

BIG K
03-27-2015, 11:20 PM
No, not Fred Schneider, but the Boeing B-52 Bomber. In the USAF arsenal for sixty years.

Still a bad ass war bird.

Cool pictures at this link:

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-b-52-bomber-turns-60-photos/?ftag=ACQf1069b9

So many heavy bomber airframes have come along in the decades since the 52 arrived to replace it. None have proved worthy. The B-1 was supposed to replaced it in the 80's, instead, it was just added to the inventory of bombers. Now the B-1 has gone completely conventional bombing. The 52 and the B-2 are the only platforms, IIRC, that the USAF has that are able at this point to carry nuclear...

Miles
03-27-2015, 11:30 PM
Hell of an airframe design for the platform to have lasted this long and sound like it will probably be around for a while longer.

Also, whenever I look up stuff on planes I get sucked into the wikipedia black hole.

BIG K
03-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Hell of an airframe design for the platform to have lasted this long and sound like it will probably be around for a while longer.

Also, whenever I look up stuff on planes I get sucked into the wikipedia black hole.

I read recently, that the USAF plans on keeping her flying until 2040. Not sure I would trust everything I read on wiki...:) just my 2c