PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Fish collars/throats

tooge
03-29-2015, 09:32 PM
So, I took the family to Florida, where we rented a house. There is a fish market a block from our house that receives fresh catch daily. I've seen Andrew Zimmern eat fish collars on tv, so I came up with a plan. I asked the fish monger if I could get some collars, which he called throats. He did even better. He gave me four entire grouper carcasses. Head and bones in tact, with the collars. He GAVE them to me! FREE! I removed the collars and cheeks. I marinades them in olive oil and ca endears Greek seasoning for a few hours, and grilled them. They were perhaps the best fish I've ever had. I then sautéed carrits, onion, and celery, added garlic and water, then the fish carcasses. It made an amazing fish soup. All the little pieces of meat came off the bones. Incredible. And, it was free. Had to share. We're here for a week and I'll be swinging back in to the market again for sure. I can't believe they throw that stuff away.

pr_capone
03-29-2015, 09:42 PM
So, I took the family to Florida, where we rented a house. There is a fish market a block from our house that receives fresh catch daily. I've seen Andrew Zimmern eat fish collars on tv, so I came up with a plan. I asked the fish monger if I could get some collars, which he called throats. He did even better. He gave me four entire grouper carcasses. Head and bones in tact, with the collars. He GAVE them to me! FREE! I removed the collars and cheeks. I marinades them in olive oil and ca endears Greek seasoning for a few hours, and grilled them. They were perhaps the best fish I've ever had. I then sautéed carrits, onion, and celery, added garlic and water, then the fish carcasses. It made an amazing fish soup. All the little pieces of meat came off the bones. Incredible. And, it was free. Had to share. We're here for a week and I'll be swinging back in to the market again for sure. I can't believe they throw that stuff away.

I remember going to the grocery store with my mom just after we moved to the states. Went to the butcher at the grocery store and my mom asked for fish heads. He gave her a strange look and, likely thinking he misunderstood her because of her accent, asked her again what she wanted. She reiterated she wanted fish heads.

He told her they typically throw them away, wraps a bunch up for her, didn't charge her for it, and they set up an arrangement where he would have fresh cut fish heads for her at some regular interval. She made fish stew with them. Almost a zero cost meal.

58-4ever
03-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Good job?

Baby Lee
03-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Obligatory

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTpUVAcvWfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cdcox
03-29-2015, 09:48 PM
In Chile the cheeks of the Conger eels are considered a delicacy. When I was there last year, I tried them hoping for something exotic. They were good, but nothing exotic. I can't imagine anyone not liking them, if they didn't know what they were eating.

TimBone
03-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Proud of you, bud.

tooge
03-29-2015, 10:03 PM
The grouper cheeks are scallop like. Aren't difficult to remove at all. I learned to take them out on Walleye. Just can't believe people throw them out on big fish. These grouper had to be 30 lbs

BigOlChiefsfan
03-29-2015, 10:22 PM
I remember watching 'Survivor' on TV one time, they'd caught a fish in the 3 to 4 lb range, filleted it and cooked the fillets - but left the carcase on the beach for the flies. And they were hungry. Waste not, want not - fishbone soup rocks!

cosmo20002
03-30-2015, 01:30 AM
Obligatory

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTpUVAcvWfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:shake:

Eleazar
03-30-2015, 05:38 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/clint_ew.gif

Easy 6
03-30-2015, 06:00 AM
I'm sure it was delicious, tooge... never had it, but bet I'd tear some fishhead soup up, especially if it were asian style.

Dave Lane
03-30-2015, 06:49 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/clint_ew.gif

Totally agree. No dumpster diving for me. I mean maybe a sealed bag of crunchy Cheetos or something.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2015, 08:09 AM
The cheeks of most animals are freakin' amazing. Good on you, tooge.

ghak99
03-30-2015, 08:40 AM
The grouper cheeks are scallop like. Aren't difficult to remove at all. I learned to take them out on Walleye. Just can't believe people throw them out on big fish. These grouper had to be 30 lbs

I learned this from a native way up north who was teaching me how to clean pike. Must have been ~14 at the time, but he couldn't believe I didn't know about Walleye cheeks. What could I say, we're wasteful as ****.

He was willfully paying a fat little ugly french-ish girl for sex instead of doing business with one of the beautiful native girls. A frugal man with his fish, he most definitely was.

TimBone
03-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Still proud of you, bud.

MahiMike
03-30-2015, 09:36 AM
I remember going to the grocery store with my mom just after we moved to the states. Went to the butcher at the grocery store and my mom asked for fish heads. He gave her a strange look and, likely thinking he misunderstood her because of her accent, asked her again what she wanted. She reiterated she wanted fish heads.

He told her they typically throw them away, wraps a bunch up for her, didn't charge her for it, and they set up an arrangement where he would have fresh cut fish heads for her at some regular interval. She made fish stew with them. Almost a zero cost meal.

Asian?

pr_capone
03-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Asian?

Puerto Rican

Reaper16
03-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Collar is my favorite part of most fish.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Fushheads outta tha dumnpster r dewicious

Easy 6
03-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Fushheads outta tha dumnpster r dewicious

LMAO

But the truth is I've seen some variations on the fishhead soup theme on tv that look absolutely incredible... especially when asians are making it.

I'd slurp down a bowl of it right naow.