PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Going through this all over again

R8RFAN
03-31-2015, 07:17 AM
Some may remember back in 2003 I bought a dog for my daughter and in 2005 I lost that dog to a tragic accident in our driveway...

A few weeks later I got another dog (Rusty) from the dog rescue.
I have had him for almost 10 years to the day. He is almost 14

He has been sick and diagnosed with Diabetes along with other difficulties, He is not in pain but is sleeping most all the time. He is still eating and drinking but he is so weak and lethargic.

I am really down and haven't worked in a few days, I have been through this before but I am having a hard time dealing with it this time.

I went to the edge of the woods and dug his grave this morning and cried the whole time.

This is a real tough time for me and my family so if you could say a prayer for our grieving hearts it would be appreciated... I lost my last dog suddenly and it was hard but watching my best friend slowly wither away is killing me.

Reerun_KC
03-31-2015, 07:21 AM
Sorry bro. I know how much poochies mean to us guys.

ptlyon
03-31-2015, 07:22 AM
Sorry man. Had to watch my dad's lab be put down last summer. Even though he was the stupidest mother****er on this earth, it still hurt and was dads companion.

Thoughts are with you and your family. This is why I won't have a dog.

Lzen
03-31-2015, 07:26 AM
Sorry to hear that, man. Will say a prayer for you. I know how much dogs mean to us. They are truly our best friends. I'm sure I will be the same way when mine pass. They are boxers and at 8.5 years, I expect that will be within the next 2-5 years.

Lonewolf Ed
03-31-2015, 07:28 AM
I miss my Freya still after 3 years. Dogs just don't live long enough and they should, but so it is. I feel for your loss.

threebag
03-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Sorry to hear. Prayers for your family and pooch

Nzoner
03-31-2015, 07:44 AM
Sorry man been there and done this so many times but looking back I wouldn't change a thing because they bring so much joy and I know their lives have been better as well.We now have 7 rescue animals and although I know the days are coming I just don't think about it and enjoy the time we have.

kappa72202
03-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Sorry for your dog's illness and having to do what you have to do. It is not easy...like losing a family member. My prayers.

BigMeatballDave
03-31-2015, 07:50 AM
I miss my Freya still after 3 years. Dogs just don't live long enough and they should, but so it is. I feel for your loss.

This is why I don't have pets. Especially dogs. They just don't live long enough. My sister has always had dogs and have lost a few over the last 20 years.

Smaller breeds live longer, like 10-15 years.

Fire Me Boy!
03-31-2015, 08:01 AM
Sorry, man. It's never easy losing a pet.

Hoover
03-31-2015, 08:09 AM
I'm going through the same thing. My German Shepard Dutch is 14, she's had an awesome life since we got her from the rescue at age 3 or so. She's really weak in the back legs has a hard time walking in the morning. We also found out that she has a large mass on her lung, which in addition to making it harder for her to breath, it can cause so much discomfort that she may not want to walk. We've done a good job in making sure she eats but the end is near, it will be hard for my wife to accept. Don't even want to think about it.

Dave Lane
03-31-2015, 08:18 AM
My I hate these kinda threads. There's nothing tougher. Good juju to anyone going through this.

digger
03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Prayers sent.

Old Dog
03-31-2015, 08:47 AM
You didn't get him as a puppy, but thought this still applied to this situation:
I've posted it here a few times, but here it is again:

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you 're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for atention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all of these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I dorve you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."

Charles Wells

Mr. Flopnuts
03-31-2015, 08:53 AM
:deevee: mine's going to be 10 this year. My first dog. My 2 pups are the closest thing to kids that I have. don't know what I'll do...

So sorry bud.

Beef Supreme
03-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Stinks to lose a dog, but having one is worth the pain of losing one.

Dayze
03-31-2015, 09:17 AM
damn dude.

Positive thoughts sent your way.

R8RFAN
03-31-2015, 09:24 AM
It hurts men, Hurts bad, Wife is sitting on the lawn with him as he is soaking up what may be his last sunshine...He has some fresh chicken in his bowl and he is basically turning his nose up to it and not drinking water like he was... He never turns down chicken...

Ok , got to go be a big blubbering baby again.. Thanks for all the kind words

Halfcan
03-31-2015, 09:26 AM
All Dogs go to Heaven- or so they say.

Sorry for your loss. I still miss my dog after all these years.

Bowser
03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Ah, that sucks. I had to put down a dog we had for 15 years a few months ago. First time I've ever put a pet down, and it was terrible. Hang in there.

kcfanXIII
03-31-2015, 10:21 AM
The only bad part of owning a dog is they don't live forever. I love my dogs, my oldest is 8 and still shows signs of being a puppy because we have two younger dogs to keep him young. I hate thinking about not having him around. Sorry for your loss man.

Easy 6
03-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Sorry man, theres just no companion quite like a doggie.

Best wishes.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-31-2015, 10:35 AM
...and today Reighters heart grew ten sizes

Sassy Squatch
03-31-2015, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear that. Had to put my cat of 14 years down 2 weeks ago.

ptlyon
03-31-2015, 11:32 AM
All Dogs go to Heaven- or so they say.

That can't be true - who the hell would clean it all up?

TimBone
03-31-2015, 11:45 AM
Sorry for your situation, man. It's tough to lose a good dog.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
03-31-2015, 11:46 AM
That time between when you make the decision and actually go through with it has to be the most depressing, toughest time - like you said - you are thinking, "this is the last time for __________ . Just keep thinking of the life you gave him and the life he COULD have had if not for you - and how lucky you both were - that helped me a lot......

Pablo
03-31-2015, 11:49 AM
That does suck man. Dogs become such a big part of your life and it's never easy to have to put them down. Had to put down our beagle last spring, it was really, really awful.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2015, 12:00 PM
It just plain sucks having to put down your dog. He needs you to be strong and do the right thing.

Good luck.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-31-2015, 12:21 PM
That time between when you make the decision and actually go through with it has to be the most depressing, toughest time - like you said - you are thinking, "this is the last time for __________ . Just keep thinking of the life you gave him and the life he COULD have had if not for you - and how lucky you both were - that helped me a lot......

I will remember this in a few years. It's profound. Thanks bro.

Sully
03-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Done.

R8RFAN
04-01-2015, 04:52 AM
My Pup went downhill fast yesterday, Wife was awake about all night with him and me most of the night..

He had 3 seizures last night and is very weak, It's time to do the right thing and put my best buddy down this morning.

Pray we make it through this hard day Please

Kman34
04-01-2015, 05:55 AM
You are doing the right thing... I think my dogs hung on just to be with us, which I quickly realized was selfish on my part. So sorry for your loss... Prayers sent

kcfanXIII
04-01-2015, 06:04 AM
So sorry for your loss man. Be strong.

ExtremeChief
04-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Sucks dude. I had to put down a 6 year old lab that got cancer. His sister lived till she was 13. She had a seizure two years ago and I had to put her down too. I swore I would never get another one but my kids got me one for Christmas. I love that damn thing too....

Doing the right thing is the hardest thing in the world.. but you have to, because you owe it to them.

Buehler445
04-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Best wishes man.

I've had to put a few down. I will say it's easier if they've lived a good full life than if they're young and something is wrong with them.

Doesn't make it easier for you though. When mine has to go I'm going to be a hot mess.

Imon Yourside
04-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Dogs is good people, sorry R8ers.

rico
04-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Sorry to hear man.

R8RFAN
04-01-2015, 07:51 AM
My Buddy is gone...

He had another seizure in my arms at the vets... I sure do miss him and keep seeing him in my peripheral vision in the house....

I have a few days off, May need to get away for a few days but think I will be miserable if I do

Lonewolf Ed
04-01-2015, 07:56 AM
I held my dog as she faded away at the vet's, too. I know she felt comforted that I was there with her to the end, though it didn't help me much at the time. It's tough and I know what you're feeling. Try to take comfort in knowing you gave that fine hound a good life, short as it was.

stumppy
04-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear that man. Dogs make our lives so much better. I've lost a few over the years and it's never easy. Hang in there it'll get better.

NewChief
04-01-2015, 08:07 AM
I held my dog as she faded away at the vet's, too. I know she felt comforted that I was there with her to the end, though it didn't help me much at the time. It's tough and I know what you're feeling. Try to take comfort in knowing you gave that fine hound a good life, short as it was.

I still say that holding Tully while he faded away from the shot that put him to his final rest was one of the toughest things I've ever done in my life. And that includes walking into the hospital bereavement room to comfort my wife after her dad died from a sudden heart attack.

Chiefnj2
04-01-2015, 08:10 AM
My Buddy is gone...

He had another seizure in my arms at the vets... I sure do miss him and keep seeing him in my peripheral vision in the house....

I have a few days off, May need to get away for a few days but think I will be miserable if I do

Sorry.

Just a heads up, the first few weeks are rough because you haven't adapted yet. You'll walk in the house and look down waiting for him, drop some food on the floor and think "no problem, the dog will get it", open the back door and hesitate waiting for him to join you, etc. Old habits are hard to break when you lose your best friend.

Demonpenz
04-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Focus your attention on helping other people. It will make the pain more manageable. You are a good dude.

Old Dog
04-01-2015, 08:34 AM
Very Sorry to hear it happened, but you can hopefully gain a tiny measure of relief that you did the right thing for him. I got through it with Dixie (our black lab) last June by telling myself she simply isn't in pain any longer as I imagine many of us have with loved ones whether they be two or four legged.

Most folks that know me think I'm a "tough guy" but when it was over for her I sat there on the floor of that vets room and cried like a damn baby rocking her back and forth for probably 15 minutes. As I sit here typing this I'm thinking about her and have tears in my eyes.
DAMN, I miss her still.

Prayers to you and yours and may he rest in pain free peace

R8RFAN
04-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Yea, I am a blubbering fool right now.

Thanks Old Dog...

R8RFAN
04-01-2015, 08:56 AM
And this is what he lived for.. A trip to the convenience store where he knew he would always get a Slim Jim when I got back

http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/40109/5ff764401086475.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/5ff764401086475)

Buehler445
04-01-2015, 09:30 AM
And this is what he lived for.. A trip to the convenience store where he knew he would always get a Slim Jim when I got back

http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/40109/5ff764401086475.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/5ff764401086475)

My dog is the same way. He HAS to go everywhere. If I don't take him, he mopes like a bastard. Even if the wife is there, he just sits and pouts. Won't eat, won't drink, just mopes.

Mav
04-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Some may remember back in 2003 I bought a dog for my daughter and in 2005 I lost that dog to a tragic accident in our driveway...

A few weeks later I got another dog (Rusty) from the dog rescue.
I have had him for almost 10 years to the day. He is almost 14

He has been sick and diagnosed with Diabetes along with other difficulties, He is not in pain but is sleeping most all the time. He is still eating and drinking but he is so weak and lethargic.

I am really down and haven't worked in a few days, I have been through this before but I am having a hard time dealing with it this time.

I went to the edge of the woods and dug his grave this morning and cried the whole time.

This is a real tough time for me and my family so if you could say a prayer for our grieving hearts it would be appreciated... I lost my last dog suddenly and it was hard but watching my best friend slowly wither away is killing me.
Prayers bro.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Sorry to hear bud

Mrs. Loopner
04-01-2015, 05:27 PM
So sorry for your loss.
Prayers to ease your pain and strengthen your memories.

Rain Man
04-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear. Dogs are good people.

The Franchise
04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Sorry man....that sucks.

TimeForWasp
04-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Sorry to hear it

Chiefnj2
04-01-2015, 05:58 PM

Did you bury him with some Slim Jim's?

mdchiefsfan
04-01-2015, 06:01 PM
God, reading these suck, but I can't stay out of them. Sorry for your loss, man. I have a cat, but God damn if he isn't like a dog. He has to be laying between the gf and I when we sleep, he responds to his name, he lays down on command, and is just extraordinarily friendly. I really don't know what I will do when I lose him. It's not every day you get the independence of a cat with the affection and comradery of a dog. He truly is one of a kind.

SAUTO
04-01-2015, 06:03 PM
So sorry to hear man.

R8RFAN
04-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Well it's the day after, We slept fairly well last night. Morning was a little rough, Tonya made me a sausage sandwich and I kept looking for Rusty to come up to me for a bite.I showered and missed my buddy helping me get the water off my legs by licking them. I thought of hooking up the camper and try to get away for a day but then felt guilty about doing something we always took our buddy to do. I guess I will spend another day staring out the window at his grave.

kcfanXIII
04-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Go camping dude. He'll be there with you.

R8RFAN
04-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Go camping dude. He'll be there with you.

I tried, got 10 miles down the road and came back home... My heart just isn't in it...

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
It's going to be this bad for me or worse. I have no kids and it's my first dog. I'm so sorry. I try not to imagine...

Chiefnj2
04-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Get over to your local kill shelter, bond with a new pup and bring him camping. If you are in this much pain, you certainly love dogs and I'm certain there is more love in your heart for another canine that will be forever grateful to get a new lease on life. Do you think Rusty would enjoy looking down on you seeing you mope around?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Rust really took that ISU loss pretty hard

Jiu Jitsu Jon
04-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Sorry R8ers. I did say a prayer for you, though my faith right now is literally the size of a mustard seed.

If it's any consolation you should feel better in about 27 days when we draft Amari Cooper or Kevin White (or Leonard Williams). ;)