PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Hey CP Peeps, Small Engine Repair in KC?

gblowfish
04-03-2015, 08:49 AM
I've got a DeVilbiss pressure washer with a Honda engine, needs to have some general tune up and testing to get it ready for seasonal work.

Anybody know a good small engine repair shop anywhere between Independence and Overland Park?

I thank you. I'll wash you.

Bugeater
04-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Honda? Pffft... change the oil and spark plug and you'll be good.

gblowfish
04-03-2015, 09:25 AM
I think the water pump needs service.

Bugeater
04-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Ah, not sure any small engine shop will be able to help, you need someone who specializes in that stuff.

Buehler445
04-03-2015, 11:06 AM

Honda motor is fine if it runs smooth and doesn't smoke. What kid of pump is it? If it is a centrifugal pump, sprayer outfits can get seal kits or an Impellar for it. But I bet it isn't centrifugal.

Where did you buy it?

gblowfish
04-03-2015, 11:20 AM
I've made a couple calls, a place in Lenexa called Maisch and one in Olathe called RG's Small Engine. Both told me the same thing, they work on the engine, but if the pump needs any repair or replacement, they don't do that. Buehler, not sure what kind of pump it is, the unit is probably 7 or 8 years old, it's a DeVilbiss pressure washer. The honda engine has always run like a champ, but last time I used it I had a hard time getting it to kick over, pulled real hard trying to start it up. The model I own looks pretty much identical to the one in the picture:

Bugeater
04-03-2015, 12:32 PM
That looks just like the Porter Cable unit i have, something is messed up on the pump on it as well, it doesn't hold good pessure and it pulsates when i pull the trigger. Mine is over 10 years old though, but like yours the Honda engine runs great.

srvy
04-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Painters use those alot. I would go to a Benjamin Moore or Sherwin William and ask around who they use. Might check Devilbess website and see if they have regional repair center near.

pkane
04-03-2015, 01:25 PM
I took my snow blower to Lawn and Leisure in Lee's Summit. They do plenty of small engine work. Overall I was happy with their work.

Stewie
04-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Maisch in Lenexa used to be the go-to shop. They would work on any part of anything. Something has changed in the last 3-4 years. I think it might be their Stihl alliance. Larger margins, I suppose.

Baby Lee
04-03-2015, 01:42 PM
I've made a couple calls, a place in Lenexa called Maisch and one in Olathe called RG's Small Engine. Both told me the same thing, they work on the engine, but if the pump needs any repair or replacement, they don't do that. Buehler, not sure what kind of pump it is, the unit is probably 7 or 8 years old, it's a DeVilbiss pressure washer. The honda engine has always run like a champ, but last time I used it I had a hard time getting it to kick over, pulled real hard trying to start it up. The model I own looks pretty much identical to the one in the picture:

If it's literally hard to turn over, check your crankcase ventilation linkage. I had a mower where the linkage got bound up on the fuel line and since the vent paddle couldn't move free, the recoil on the pull start would some times nearly pull my shoulder out of joint.

It should be a paddle/arm that emerges straight from the engine block and has a linkage on the end of the armiture that runs back to the carburetor.

Buehler445
04-03-2015, 03:33 PM

Not sure what kind of pump that is.

kccrow
04-03-2015, 03:53 PM
The water pump replacement is insanely easy. Just unbolt, drop out, put a new one on. All you do is line up the keyway then rotate the pump so the bolt holes aline, literally takes 10 minutes to change out. Pumps are usually between $100 and $120 bucks for that style washer.

As for the motor... man its a Honda. Drain old gas, old oil, refill. Change spark plug. Go to work.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Now George, are youuuu suure you just don't have a little water in the gasoline ?

kccrow
04-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh... one more thing... if its hard to pull you can do a couple things. Flywheel key, if sheered, could be causing it check other things first though. Vapor lock could be the problem Take out spark plug, try to pull. If no resistance with plug out, might be vapor lock, spin the engine over a bunch of times, replace plug and try. If no resistance with plug out but is when you put it back in, might be good to check flywheel key. Pull off pull rope housing and then the nut on the flywheel and check the key. Easy fix there too. Some motors have a compression release, if so, check that. Make sure pressure washer is set to "low." I dunno. Could be a bunch of things. I'd start with oil/fuel/spark plug, check release valve if you have one, and setting spray pressure to low, and go from there.