PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs No current discussions to extend Sean Smith

Mr. Laz
04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Sean Smith's agent says he's comfortable playing out final year of his contract with Chiefs
@JoelThorman on Apr 7, 2015, 7:27a 48

The Sean Smith contract may end up being one of GM John Dorsey's best contracts. As you see players like Byron Maxwell sign six-year, $63 million contracts in free agency, remember that the Kansas City Chiefs got CB Sean Smith for $16.5 million over three years. It was a solid value back then and the way Smith played last year it was an even better deal for the Chiefs.

Smith signed that three year deal two years ago so he has one year remaining on his contract. The franchise tag could be an option after the 2015 season but the Chiefs will also be dealing with the contracts for Justin Houston and Dontari Poe at that time (not to mention Derrick Johnson) so maybe it's not the best option.

David Canter, the agent for Smith, joined KTGR with Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) and said there are no talks going on with the Chiefs right now.

"It's not something we're interested in discussing right now," Canter told Kiley regarding extension talks with the Chiefs. "If the team is {interested), they can approach me when they want."

Canter indicated that they're looking forward to hitting free agency after this season.

"Sean and I have obviously had a lot of conversations about it," Canter told Kiley. "He's very comfortable playing out the year and becoming an unrestricted free agent at 29 (years old), which is the reason we did a three year deal. We did that deal specifically so that Sean could hit the free agent market again once the numbers had popped and once the money had significantly increased.

"This city has been great for him and he has loved his two years there and he's excited to get back and play again this year. He loves Andy Reid and loves John Dorsey. It's up to them if they want to make us an offer. We'll talk about it, we would discuss it but it's certainly not something we're going to push with them."

I remember acknowledging that the length of his contract with the Chiefs was a smart decision for him because he would have another crack at free agency when he's on the right side of 30 and the money is still flowing. Smith will be 28 years old next March so another strong season and he could pull in some serious money. That's why I can't blame his camp for eyeing free agency.

Consider a similar case in Rodney Hudson. It was reported that during the season the Chiefs offered him a deal averaging $6 million per year. He did not take that deal. Instead he waited to hit free agency where the Oakland Raiders paid him $9 million per season. Sometimes betting on yourself is the right move.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/4/7/8359891/sean-smith-agent-contract-free-agency-kansas-city-chiefs

Discuss Thrower
04-07-2015, 02:12 PM
This shouldn't be a surprise.

ModSocks
04-07-2015, 02:17 PM
So...how 'bout those rnd 1 CB's?

Urc Burry
04-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Not surprising. Would love to have him back, but not on Maxwells deal.. And Smith is the better corner. Would rather draft a cb in the first, and Gaines showed a lot of potential. Just look at all the 10 mil/per corners who haven't panned out. Finnegan, Carr, Flowers, etc.

if we can get him for another 3 year 24 mil or so Id be down. But unless you're getting a Revis or Sherman I just don't like the value of overpaying a corner

Red Dawg
04-07-2015, 02:20 PM
CB in round one it is.

In58men
04-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Chatsports is saying he signed an extension

The Franchise
04-07-2015, 02:23 PM
In before Hootie brings up Clay using PFF stats.

In58men
04-07-2015, 02:27 PM
In before this gets turned around into Wilson is the next Brad Johnson

mcaj22
04-07-2015, 02:32 PM
good player but id be hesistant to overpay him into his early 30s. Some crappy team will offer him a nice contract. If Brandon Flowers can get overpaid into his 30s, Sean Smith will too.

CoMoChief
04-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Lots of CB's to choose from in rd's 1-3

Trae Waynes
Byron Jones
Marcus Peters
Jalen Collins
Ronald Darby
Ifo Erekpe-Olomu
PJ Williams
Kevin Johnson

O.city
04-07-2015, 03:36 PM
This is why you keep stacking depth and talent.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Ah, so Dorsey sees it too.

Good boy.

BossChief
04-07-2015, 05:49 PM
He's gone after this year unless we sign Houston long term and tag him.

Dude will get PAID.

Marcellus
04-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Sean Smith is terrible and overpaid! /CP Preseason 2014.

Easy 6
04-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Eager to hit the market at 29?

I call BS, dude has cemented himself as a true player on an up and coming team... work out the deal and come on in for the big win.

Because inside every Charger and Raider, is Chief waiting to get out.

BossChief
04-07-2015, 06:24 PM

I call BS, dude has cemented himself as a true player on an up and coming team... work out the deal and come on in for the big win.

Dude.

Just accept the fact that Sean Smith is gone after this year.

He will get a monster payday from a team that can afford to overpay.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-07-2015, 06:25 PM

Yes, Hudson clearly proves that.

In58men
04-07-2015, 06:40 PM

And Flowers

Easy 6
04-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Dude.

Just accept the fact that Sean Smith is gone after this year.

He will get a monster payday from a team that can afford to overpay.

:huh:

Mr. Laz
04-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Sean Smith is terrible and overpaid! /Gochiefs

FYP

Marcellus
04-07-2015, 07:35 PM
FYP

It was far from just Clay. I had several arguments during training camp with many people.

Mainly the same crowd that rarely posts anymore.

saphojunkie
04-07-2015, 07:46 PM
This is the right move. Period. Draft a CBA, let someone else overpay for a 30 year old, and take the comp pick. As long as dorsey hits on his draft picks, this strategy is sound.

Add in that he'll be playing in a contract year, and you can expect this to be the best season he will have ever again.