PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Hi. I'm Lying Out My Ass Rob Lowe....

gblowfish
04-08-2015, 11:44 AM
DirecTV getting bitch slapped by Comcast for "deceptive advertising."

Story:

Hi, I'm Rob Lowe, and I have cable."

"And I'm deceptive advertising Rob Lowe, and I have DirecTV."

Following a Comcast complaint, the Better Business Bureau this week recommended that DirecTV discontinue its hilarious ad campaign featuring actor Rob Lowe, because the satellite TV company couldn't substantiate many of the claims made in the commercials.

DirecTV clams in the spots that its service gets 99% signal reliability, up to 1080p HD programming, better picture and sound quality than cable, more sports programming than its rivals and shorter customer service wait times than its cable competitors. It also said it was rated No. 1 in customer satisfaction.

The ads feature Lowe playing various awkward versions of himself, including a Rob Lowe with scrawny arms, "painfully awkward" Rob Lowe, "super creepy" Rob Lowe, "far less attractive" Rob Lowe and "meathead" Rob Lowe.

At the end of the commercials, the normal, DirecTV version of Lowe says, "Don't be like this me. Get rid of cable and upgrade to DirecTV."

In most cases, the Better Business Bureau National Advertising Division review board agreed with Comcast and urged DirecTV to pull or modify the ads.

For instance, the NAD found no supporting evidence to substantiate the "far less attractive" Rob Lowe commercial's claim that DirecTV has better picture and sound quality than cable. "Scrawny arms" Rob Lowe claimed DirecTV has more sports programming, but the NAD said that was also unsupported.

The review board also said DirecTV failed to explain how it arrived at its customer service claims. The NAD even took issue with the commercials' statement "don't be like this me," because it "conveyed a comparative and unsupported superiority message."

It did, however, find that DirecTV's message of 99% signal reliability and "up to 1080p" picture were solid.

DirecTV is appealing the claim that the ads are deceptive.

In a statement, the company said it "continues to believe that the various Rob Lowe advertisements are so outlandish and exaggerated that no reasonable consumer would believe that the statements being made by the alter-ego characters are comparative or need to be substantiated."

According to a report in Variety, DirecTV has stopped airing the Lowe ads because the company had moved on to another ad campaign.

This isn't the first time DirecTV has been charged with false or misleading advertising.

The Federal Trade Commission ruled in March that the satellite company failed to make it clear that its $19.95-a-month plan requires two-year contract is required, and that customers must proactively cancel the free premium channels like HBO and Showtime that they get during the first three months of the package.

Link to story:
http://www.kmbc.com/money/directv-told-to-pull-rob-lowe-ads-after-comcast-complains/32251050?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=KMBC%209%20News%20Kansas%20City%20-%20kmbc9&Content%20Type=Story&linkId=13415653

Lonewolf Ed
04-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Whatever it takes to get those blasted commercials off the air, I say go for it!

Rausch
04-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Any sat TV has far better signal than cable.

Cable relies on old lines with a fuck ton of signal noise they refuse to replace.

DTV shouldn't pull the adds, even though they suck. They should go to bum-fuck nowhere and compare cable and DTV signals and clarity...

Eleazar
04-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Whatever it takes to get those blasted commercials off the air, I say go for it!

this

wazu
04-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Unless a cloud goes over your house.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-08-2015, 11:55 AM

Cable relies on old lines with a **** ton of signal noise they refuse to replace.

DTV shouldn't pull the adds, even though they suck. They should go to bum-**** nowhere and compare cable and DTV signals and clarity...

there is negligible difference in picture quality between coax cable and satellite. Fiber is marginally better. The only major differnec would be compression on a cable system, if used.

Of course with satellite you have the whole weather thing...

kcfanXIII
04-08-2015, 11:57 AM

DirectTV has partially corrected this issue. It is still present but takes a lot more to disrupt signal then when they first came out. My roommates had it a couple years back and I was honestly surprised at the reliability. It really had to be raining cats and dogs for it to go down.

stonedstooge
Too bad. It was the best acting Rob Lowe has ever performed

Hammock Parties
DirecTV should also own up to the fact that there's almost no 60 FPS content on their service.

I don't know why they switched but I haven't seen a 60 FPS broadcast in ages. Everything is 30 FPS.

DaFace
04-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Huh. To me, it's pretty obvious that DirecTV rules the world when it comes to sports programming, and it's pretty common knowledge that cable companies compress their signals, which degrades quality. (Whether that's perceptible by humans is debatable though.)

DaFace
04-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I've never understood the whole signal going out issue with satellite. Maybe my installation is just awesome, but I've probably seen an average of 2 outages a year that last 30-60 seconds.

ModSocks
04-08-2015, 12:05 PM
I've never understood the whole signal going out issue with satellite. Maybe my installation is just awesome, but I've probably seen an average of 2 outages a year that last 30-60 seconds.

Same. I loved DirecTV. Great customer service, good support, never had an issue with a dish going out of service.....but then again, I live in SoCal....we only have one season here....the good one.

Frosty
04-08-2015, 12:10 PM
The only time I lose signal with DirecTV is if I get snow build up on my dish. Thunderstorms and heavy snow don't knock it out any more.

BossChief
04-08-2015, 12:15 PM
I switch people from cable to dish and directv every day and there is almost always a massive difference in picture quality. Even in homes that mediacom replaced the homes wiring.

Not sure how comcast stacks up, but the difference between mediacom and either dish company is huge.

Mav
04-08-2015, 12:17 PM
The only time I lose signal with DirecTV is if I get snow build up on my dish. Thunderstorms and heavy snow don't knock it out any more.

Same here

Mav
04-08-2015, 12:18 PM
DirecTV should also own up to the fact that there's almost no 60 FPS content on their service.

I don't know why they switched but I haven't seen a 60 FPS broadcast in ages. Everything is 30 FPS.

The more you post, the more I realize just how much of a true geek you really are.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2015, 12:19 PM
The more you post, the more I realize just how much of a true geek you really are.

It has nothing to do with being a geek. This is 2015, I pay over a hundred bucks a month for satellite services, I should have some fucking 60 FPS for my sports.

Bugeater
04-08-2015, 12:20 PM
I've been saying for years that they are lying, deceptive pieces of shit. Not exactly breaking news here.

DaFace
It has nothing to do with being a geek. This is 2015, I pay over a hundred bucks a month for satellite services, I should have some fucking 60 FPS for my sports.

Who is actually filming in 60FPS?

Mav

Well, I can't tell the damn difference. Of course I'm technology limited. On button, remote, off button. Play, stop.

Mav
04-08-2015, 12:21 PM
I've been saying for years that they are lying, deceptive pieces of shit. Not exactly breaking news here.

In fairness, you say that about everyone.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 12:25 PM

No one.

I don't know what he's talking about. You can't upsample frame rates. You can downsample (30 FPS to 23.89 or whatever).

The source is the source.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 12:28 PM
I've had Direct TV for 12 years and I've had one loss of signal, which was back in 2004, with far less advanced equipment.

The picture quality and especially the audio quality, are far superior, IMO, to Time Warner Cable, AT&T, Comcast and Everest. Having everything On Demand (as opposed to limited programming) is another awesome feature.

Comcast, who's leading this charge against Direct TV, can suck it.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2015, 12:28 PM
You can downsample (30 FPS to 23.89 or whatever).

That's what I'm talking about.

DirecTV takes all these fucking 60 FPS sports streams and turns them into 30 FPS for some reason.

They used to have 60 FPS but changed it. Bandwidth maybe? No idea.

I miss my 60 FPS.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2015, 12:29 PM

Lots of sports channels have been shown in 60 FPS for a long time.

DaFace
04-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Lots of sports channels have been shown in 60 FPS for a long time.

I can't find anything about the NFL being available at 60fps except through an exclusive agreement with Xbox One, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2015, 12:36 PM
I can't find anything about the NFL being available at 60fps

It's been that way for years.

Example:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2xt2SGfmG8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 12:37 PM
That's what I'm talking about.

DirecTV takes all these fucking 60 FPS sports streams and turns them into 30 FPS for some reason.

They used to have 60 FPS but changed it. Bandwidth maybe? No idea.

I miss my 60 FPS.

It's not "true" 59.98 FPS because the cameras aren't recording at 59.98 FPS. What they do is double the frames, so two 29.99 frames equal 59.98.

Personally, I haven't noticed that sporting events look any different now than they have in the past.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Personally, I haven't noticed that sporting events look any different now than they have in the past.

There's a huge difference, IMO. The motion is not nearly as smooth.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 12:42 PM
There's a huge difference, IMO. The motion is not nearly as smooth.
Hmm, I haven't noticed on any of my LED or LCD TV's.

WhawhaWhat
04-08-2015, 12:53 PM
I liked the Creepy Rob Lowe one. Also the one where he eats the sandwich that he found on the bus.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-08-2015, 01:03 PM
People don't understand how little credibility the BBB should have. You can resolve complaints and they wont increase your grade or show that online without significant payment. They're a shitty organization that I give no credence too.

sd4chiefs
04-08-2015, 01:05 PM
They should have done a "Hi. I'm Pedophile Rob Lowe and I have cable" one.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-08-2015, 01:09 PM
They should have done a "Hi. I'm Pedophile Rob Lowe and I have cable" one.

And I'm audiophile Rob Lowe and I have DirecTV.

With DirecTV I have over 70 digital quality music stations to play all my favorite tunes across every genre through time!

And with cable I have 27 dedicated channels to Nickelodeon and Disney tween shows!

scho63
04-08-2015, 01:26 PM
I love those commercials!

Strongside
04-08-2015, 01:39 PM
These fucks have taken all of the fun out of advertising.

DaFace
04-08-2015, 01:44 PM
These fucks have taken all of the fun out of advertising.

Eh, the issue is really more about the statements they're making than about Rob Lowe's characters themselves.

morphius
04-08-2015, 02:07 PM
I've had Direct TV for 12 years and I've had one loss of signal, which was back in 2004, with far less advanced equipment.

The picture quality and especially the audio quality, are far superior, IMO, to Time Warner Cable, AT&T, Comcast and Everest. Having everything On Demand (as opposed to limited programming) is another awesome feature.

Comcast, who's leading this charge against Direct TV, can suck it.
To be fair you live in a place known for its lack of weather changes and storms.

Comcast can still suck it though.

Aries Walker
04-08-2015, 02:14 PM
I have no doubt that they stretched some truths - it happens - but the idea of Comcast complaining when someone said they have better customer service is hilarious to the point of being surreal.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 02:18 PM
To be fair you live in a place known for its lack of weather changes and storms.

True. But during the winter, we've often had very severe rain and thunderstorms which resulted in flash floods and I've never lost signal. In 2005, we had something like 46 inches of rain in January and February. I had a river for a street, literally, and the signal was never lost.

I would imagine that the biggest deterrent in the KC area would be the wind and tornadoes. I'd be shocked if rain and snow would kill the signal in 2015.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2015, 02:24 PM
I would imagine that the biggest deterrent in the KC area would be the wind and tornadoes. I'd be shocked if rain and snow would kill the signal in 2015.

I've had probably 98% consistent service since I moved here in 2013.

I think it was actually worse in Houston because it rains more down there.

My only real complaint with DirecTV is that they call trying to scam me into getting their movie channels almost every month like clockwork. I fell it for once, never again.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 02:30 PM
I've had probably 98% consistent service since I moved here in 2013.

I think it was actually worse in Houston because it rains more down there.

My only real complaint with DirecTV is that they call trying to scam me into getting their movie channels almost every month like clockwork. I fell it for once, never again.
I have six boxes and every channel they offer. As long as you're willing to sit on the phone every six months to renew or get deals, it's really affordable, IMO.

I pay $172 a month with tax for everything, which I think is a very good deal.

DaFace
04-08-2015, 02:32 PM
I have six boxes and every channel they offer. As long as you're willing to sit on the phone every six months to renew or get deals, it's really affordable, IMO.

I pay $172 a month with tax for everything, which I think is a very good deal.

I've tired of the hassle of going through all that to get a decent deal and will be cancelling and "cutting the cord" in a week or so when my contract is up. I'm definitely looking forward to $15/month for Hulu and Netflix rather than $120 for DTV like I am now (though I'm sure I'll add more stuff like SlingTV shortly after).

DaveNull
04-08-2015, 02:34 PM
If Comcast doesn't have the facts to take this to the FTC or bring a suit against DirecTV independently then they probably don't have a leg to stand on.

The Better Business Bureau? What's next...Comcast leaving a bad review on Yelp?

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 02:56 PM
I've tired of the hassle of going through all that to get a decent deal and will be cancelling and "cutting the cord" in a week or so when my contract is up. I'm definitely looking forward to $15/month for Hulu and Netflix rather than $120 for DTV like I am now (though I'm sure I'll add more stuff like SlingTV shortly after).

I understand.

But I have to do for our VOIP and internet service through Time Warner so I just put it in my calendar and knock them both out at the same time.

Stewie
04-08-2015, 02:57 PM

I actually cancelled my DTV subscription about six weeks ago. I was planning on doing the OTA and Netflix thing (among other options).

DTV sent an email about two weeks after my cancellation with an awesome deal. So now, I get my previous package (Choice Plus, I think) with Sunday Ticket and movie channels for three months (not a biggie for me). My bill is now $57.09/month including taxes and fees. It's only a 12 month agreement and I just received my $200 DTV debit card. Not bad.

If you make good on your threat to leave they'll capitulate. My previous bill for the same service w/o Sunday ticket was about $90.

Baby Lee
04-08-2015, 03:03 PM
The NAD even took issue with the commercials' statement "don't be like this me," because it "conveyed a comparative and unsupported superiority message."

That's bullshit. Puffery is protected commercial speech. You're not required to hawk your products by saying 'hey our competitors are great too, but we'd really like it if you picked us anyway.'

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2015, 03:07 PM
True. But during the winter, we've often had very severe rain and thunderstorms which resulted in flash floods and I've never lost signal. In 2005, we had something like 46 inches of rain in January and February. I had a river for a street, literally, and the signal was never lost.

Major 30mph winds + rain is the only time I lose service and it only knocks the High Def channels out. You can switch over to Standard and the picture will still be there.

digger
04-08-2015, 03:13 PM
They should all fear Google fiber and Google TV. ;)

jspchief
04-08-2015, 03:13 PM
20 years ago called. They want your complaint to come home.

DaFace
04-08-2015, 03:19 PM
I actually cancelled my DTV subscription about six weeks ago. I was planning on doing the OTA and Netflix thing (among other options).

DTV sent an email about two weeks after my cancellation with an awesome deal. So now, I get my previous package (Choice Plus, I think) with Sunday Ticket and movie channels for three months (not a biggie for me). My bill is now $57.09/month including taxes and fees. It's only a 12 month agreement and I just received my $200 DTV debit card. Not bad.

If you make good on your threat to leave they'll capitulate. My previous bill for the same service w/o Sunday ticket was about $90.

Yeah, I'm sure I could talk them down. At this point though, I'm just ready to kick the whole "Live TV" idea to the curb. I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but I know plenty of people who aren't paying for cable these days and are perfectly happy, so we'll see how it goes.

milkman
04-08-2015, 03:28 PM
"hilarious ad campaign"?

Can we sue whoever wrote this story for a false statement?

BigMeatballDave
04-08-2015, 03:43 PM
I've always thought Directv had a better picture quality. I haven't had them since 2012.

Time Warner now. Their DVRs were steaming piles. Much better now.

Gonzo
04-08-2015, 04:54 PM
I've got sat TV at my cabin in the Sandhills and it's fucking shit. No cable options out there and DTV knows it so they supply a sub par product. Good luck getting a decent internet signal as well. My phone, (operating on old 3G) emits a stronger hotspot wifi signal than anything.

Hamwallet
04-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Too bad. It was the best acting Rob Lowe has ever performed

He was awesome in Wayne's World man. Don't go being dramatic and what not.

GloryDayz
04-08-2015, 05:46 PM
"hilarious ad campaign"?

Only if it's Rolling Stone.

GloryDayz
04-08-2015, 05:51 PM
In the 13 years I've had Time Warner I will say they up time is six-sigma, but that's all I'll give them. They are pricy and they are more than willing to f-over their customers for the thinnest penny.

I hope Google Fiber gives me everything I want in terms of BW and reliability for the Interwebs and TV part of the deal. But it will blow having to go third-party for home phone services.

I had satellite in the late 90s, it was terrible, and I've never considered it again. But the 17 year gap might be something that I should get over if Google ends up not being the cat's ass..

TinyEvel
04-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm moving to KCK in a couple of months. Not sure what the house currently has, but we have Comcast up here in SF and I loathe it. Hate it to my core.
Had DIRECTV in LA and it was pretty good. I'm thinking of getting it out there.
Thoughts? (I don't need sundAy ticket)

Bugeater
04-08-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm moving to KCK in a couple of months. Not sure what the house currently has, but we have Comcast up here in SF and I loathe it. Hate it to my core.
Had DIRECTV in LA and it was pretty good. I'm thinking of getting it out there.
Thoughts? (I don't need sundAy ticket)
I can't imagine any reason to have Directv outside of Sunday Ticket.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 07:40 PM
I can't imagine any reason to have Directv outside of Sunday Ticket.

Everything on every channel is available On Demand. For someone like me that doesn't get to the TV until around 10:30pm each night, it's awesome to be able to stream any movie or program on the premium channels and watch whenever I want, regardless of what's actually on.

Bugeater
04-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Everything on every channel is available On Demand. For someone like me that doesn't get to the TV until around 10:30pm each night, it's awesome to be able to stream any movie or program on the premium channels and watch whenever I want, regardless of what's actually on.
I have a DVR for that.

TinyEvel
04-08-2015, 09:25 PM

Our Comcast (Xfinity) does that. I just despise the UX of the interface and menus, and it's set up where the DVRis one main box and all others are slave boxes, which often can't connect to the main, and always can't pause nor rewind live TV.

Buck
04-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Jesus. Talk about pissing your money away.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Jesus. Talk about pissing your money away.

Explained to you in the other thread: work expense.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2015, 09:40 PM
I have a DVR for that.

I rarely have time to even set things up on the DVR, other than the kid's stuff, so it really works well for me, especially since I never see the promo's and pretty much never know what's currently airing.

Also, I originally missed a great series on Showtime hosted by David Steinberg that I saw one night, so I downloaded On Demand every previous episode and binge watched, which is also another great feature.

Plus, I'm Captain Insano when it comes to video and audio quality and quite frankly, I think all of the cable providers pale in comparison. U-Verse doesn't hold a candle to DTV's broadcasts, either, IMO.

eDave
04-08-2015, 09:41 PM
I was hanging out with a girl in college (NWMSU), getting drunk, and she suddenly blurted out "I want to fuck Rob Lowe!"

That night, she did!

Bob Dole
04-09-2015, 01:30 AM
So when does the complaint come in about Dish claiming they have "the same sports"? Pretty sure Bob Dole pays an annual fee for NFL games Dish doesn't have.

Oh...and 6>1. That changes everything.

04-09-2015, 03:43 AM
DirectTV has partially corrected this issue. It is still present but takes a lot more to disrupt signal then when they first came out. My roommates had it a couple years back and I was honestly surprised at the reliability. It really had to be raining cats and dogs for it to go down.

bullcrap. My dads signal goes out when it sprinkles. DTV has been out 3 times to do adjustments and it never fixes the issue. They can take their signal quality and shove it. He is actually going back to cable as soon as the contract ends.

Lex Luthor
04-09-2015, 07:21 AM
"hilarious ad campaign"?

Hilarious is in the eye of the beholder. I think the commercials are hilarious too.

I also think it's a bitch move by Comcast to complain about obvious parody commercials. It just shows that the commercials are effective.

Faddy Yomama
04-09-2015, 07:31 AM
I'm Crazy Paranoid Rob Lowe... and I have Cable.