PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Was just watching some old 1992 Chief games

Bufkin
04-11-2015, 07:21 AM
My grandpa passed away last week, and we were cleaning out his attic. He was a huge Chiefs fan and lifelong season ticket holder, so I wasn't surprised in the least bit to find a bunch of old VHS's of the early 90's. He had the vast majority of the 92 Chiefs, which was a blast to watch on defense. It seemed like if Derrick Thomas wasn't sacking the QB, it was Neil Smith sacking the QB.

To Chiefs fans who remember that time fondly, where do you rank that era in Chiefs football? I understand that Neil Smith is pretty disliked due to him leaving for Denver, but what's his current status among fans? I started watching football in 1993 when Deion Sanders broke out for my Atlanta Falcons, so this was literally right before my interest in the NFL sparked.

No trolling attempts here, just curious how exciting it was to be a Chief fan during the early 90's. To have 2 guys pick up 15 sacks in a season is pretty unbelievable, especially at a time where QB's weren't throwing the ball 50 times a game consistently.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-11-2015, 07:22 AM
CSPAN?

milkman
04-11-2015, 07:32 AM
I hated it when Carl hired Marty, and his tenure as the HC went much as I expected.

So, while I did enjoy watching the defense play, and DT was one of my favorites, as he was for so many, I still spent most of the 90s pissed about the team's propects.

Having grown up with the 60s Chiefs, the 90s Chiefs were a disappointment.

Red Dawg
04-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Marty is his own enemy never caring about offense enough to win. Him and Herm are twins.

I will never forgive him for not starting Gannon. Every analyst, fan and sports writer said it would be a mistake not to and it was. Only Marty was to close minded to think otherwise.

With Gannon we would have won the SB.

Kman34
04-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Marty is his own enemy never caring about offense enough to win. Him and Herm are twins.

I will never forgive him for not starting Gannon. Every analyst, fan and sports writer said it would be a mistake not to and it was. Only Marty was to close minded to think otherwise.

I disagree about the not caring about offense part..... He bought in Joe Montana and Marcus Allen to run the West Coast O....Changed his run first mindset to a pass to move the ball game plan.
Got us to the AFC Championship game....How close have we been since????

milkman
04-11-2015, 08:16 AM

That is sheer speculation.

We, as a fan base, are remebering what was really a pretty mediocre game manager as something more than he was for that 9 or 10 game stretch.

The fact is, that team was winning games in exactly the same way they won games for the entirety of Marty's tenure.

Minimize mistakes, play defense.
Play not to lose.

milkman
04-11-2015, 08:20 AM
I disagree about the not caring about offense part..... He bought in Joe Montana and Marcus Allen to run the West Coast O....Changed his run first mindset to a pass to move the ball game plan.
Got us to the AFC Championship game....How close have we been since????

Not sure that "never caring about the offense" is the correct
way to portray his philsophy.

He was a defensive minded coach who believed that you won by controlling the ball, minimizing mistakes, and playing defense.

Kman34
04-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Not sure that "never caring about the offense" is the correct
way to portray his philsophy.

He was a defensive minded coach who believed that you won by controlling the ball, minimizing mistakes, and playing defense.

I'm convinced he has some black cloud that follows him around...look what happened to him in San Diego...Dumbass kid fumbles a interception and whoops he lost in the playoffs again...

Halfcan
04-11-2015, 10:00 AM
I hated it when Carl hired Marty, and his tenure as the HC went much as I expected.

So, while I did enjoy watching the defense play, and DT was one of my favorites, as he was for so many, I still spent most of the 90s pissed about the team's propects.

Having grown up with the 60s Chiefs, the 90s Chiefs were a disappointment.

Pretty much this.

I had season tickets all through the 90's. The D. was amazing! Even more so with such a stagnant offense. They would get Arrowhead rocking..then the Offense would quickly go 3 and out on three run plays... then the D would trot back out there.

I thought we had it with Marcus and Montana.. but... :shake:

milkman
04-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Pretty much this.

I had season tickets all through the 90's. The D. was amazing! Even more so with such a stagnant offense. They would get Arrowhead rocking..then the Offense would quickly go 3 and out on three run plays... then the D would trot back out there.

I thought we had it with Marcus and Montana.. but... :shake:

Even as a fan of Montana, I thought it was mistake to trade for Montana, and rely on him to get through a season.

Bringing him in, and keeping Krieg as the backup was just a mistake.

I could really have gotten behind that trade if we had also brought in Steve Buerlein in free agency as the backup and QBoTF.

Halfcan
04-11-2015, 10:07 AM

It was hard to see a fan fave like Gannon go to the Fade and have the years he had.

Oh what could have been. :deevee:

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2015, 10:25 AM

We, as a fan base, are remebering what was really a pretty mediocre game manager as something more than he was for that 9 or 10 game stretch.

The fact is, that team was winning games in exactly the same way they won games for the entirety of Marty's tenure.

Play not to lose.

Yep the Rich Gannon myth.

Chiefshrink
04-11-2015, 10:53 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Chiefshrink
04-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Play not to lose.

I think the success of Gannon after he left the Chiefs shows that it is not "sheer speculation". The offense had far more confidence and motivation not to mention more playmaking ability with Gannon under center. You can clearly see the players body language and moxie ramped up in more confidence when Gannon was on the field. But due to Marty's anti-don't lose your position due to injury BS and refusing to go with the "hot hand" and better QB in Gannon who was by far the better leader, we all paid the price. There was nothing about Elvis's performance in his first game back from injury(NO game) that justified and nullified Gannon's 10 game starts that showed he is head and shoulders better than Gannon and MUST start the rest of the season. Grbac was horrible that game. And living out here in Denver when the announcement was made that Grbac was starting against them in KC that playoff year the whole city "REJOICED" !! Denver had the defense to stop Grbac but NOT Gannon and they knew it.:thumb:

eDave
04-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Condolences on your Grandpa. They're the best and I still miss mine dearly.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 11:44 AM
I think the success of Gannon after he left the Chiefs shows that it is not "sheer speculation". The offense had far more confidence and motivation not to mention more playmaking ability with Gannon under center. You can clearly see the players body language and moxie ramped up in more confidence when Gannon was on the field. But due to Marty's anti-don't lose your position due to injury BS and refusing to go with the "hot hand" and better QB in Gannon who was by far the better leader, we all paid the price. There was nothing about Elvis's performance in his first game back from injury(NO game) that justified and nullified Gannon's 10 game starts that showed he is head and shoulders better than Gannon and MUST start the rest of the season. Grbac was horrible that game. And living out here in Denver when the announcement was made that Grbac was starting against them in KC that playoff year the whole city "REJOICED" !! Denver had the defense to stop Grbac but NOT Gannon and they knew it.:thumb:

I rarely "this" you, but....this.

I remember Dawson trying to sell that loss as having nothing to do with who was playing QB that day.

Sorry dude, nope.

J Diddy
04-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. heart goes out to you.

milkman
04-11-2015, 12:05 PM

No matter how your dumb ass spins it, Lucy, you can not state, as a fact, that the Chiefs would have won that game with Gannon.

It IS sheer speculation.

And don't give me your phoney baloney psych shit, cause you are full of shit, and always have been.

Do I think that Gannon should have started that game?
Absolutely.

But no way in hell that I can say with absolute certainty that the Chiefs win if he does.

And what Gannon did with the Raiders has no bearing whatever with hiw Gannon performed with the Chiefs.

He was a mediocre game manager in Marty's conservative offense.

DaneMcCloud
04-11-2015, 12:25 PM
When Marty and Carl were hired and the Chiefs went 8-7-1 their inaugural season, I was stoked. But I think their tenure peaked in 1991 after the loss to Miami. 1992 was as difficult a 10-6 season could be to watch with Dave Kreig at the helm.

Beginning in 1993, Marty & Carl threw the draft out the window a began a series of desperation moves that have become the trademark of this franchise: Trading for QB's and signing free agents, instead of working to build a team through the draft.

At least Schaaf & Steadman drafted good players and drafted a few QB's, although they could never hit on a coach. I preferred them running the club as opposed to Pioli and Peterson.

Rausch
04-11-2015, 12:30 PM
My grandpa passed away last week, and we were cleaning out his attic. He was a huge Chiefs fan and lifelong season ticket holder, so I wasn't surprised in the least bit to find a bunch of old VHS's of the early 90's. He had the vast majority of the 92 Chiefs, which was a blast to watch on defense. It seemed like if Derrick Thomas wasn't sacking the QB, it was Neil Smith sacking the QB.

To Chiefs fans who remember that time fondly, where do you rank that era in Chiefs football? I understand that Neil Smith is pretty disliked due to him leaving for Denver, but what's his current status among fans? I started watching football in 1993 when Deion Sanders broke out for my Atlanta Falcons, so this was literally right before my interest in the NFL sparked.

No trolling attempts here, just curious how exciting it was to be a Chief fan during the early 90's. To have 2 guys pick up 15 sacks in a season is pretty unbelievable, especially at a time where QB's weren't throwing the ball 50 times a game consistently.

I hope Kneel Smith dies of AIDS and lightning. Lightning-infused super Ebola-AIDS.

DT was a rare player - probably once in every 20 years. I have yet to see any edge rusher DOMINATE with speed like he could.

He could dip so low it looked at times like he was running sideways and then HUGE SHRUG and toss the T and hit the QB.

At his best Hali is a pale imitation.

He'd rush hard, lean in, shrug, free himself and there'd be 4 seconds off the play clock by the time DT raped the QB...

Rausch
04-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Beginning in 1993, Marty & Carl threw the draft out the window a began a series of desperation moves that have become the trademark of this franchise: Trading for QB's and signing free agents, instead of working to build a team through the draft.

1993 was the last year this WHOLE FRANCHISE did all it could to win-now.

And guess what?...

Mr. Flopnuts
04-11-2015, 02:37 PM

I'll be damned. We agree wholeheartedly on something.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I'll be damned. We agree wholeheartedly on something.

That team was absolutely on fire, and Marty just pulled out his extinguisher and fucked everyone's world.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Gannon, as a Chief in 1997, was everything that Alex Smith homos WISH Alex could be, but never will be.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 03:07 PM
The only Raider to EVER get a standing ovation in Arrowhead, and rightfully so.

Ming the Merciless
04-11-2015, 03:13 PM
It was the best football times in my life

We actually had a chance to win the SUperbowl...I mean I think we ALL felt like as long as we just got into the playoffs man...we had a shot....

it was some serious ups and downs, and heartbreaking ends to the seasons...

But something like 10 years of solid teams in there during marty ball made me really spoiled for just fielding a team that could beat anyone, yet break your heart in the playoffs....

I mean , I realize that a superbowl ring is really the main prize but you cant realistically hope to get a ring unless youve got a solid team for a number of years consecutively that gets hot streaks going from time to time.

WHat we have had, here in kc is a poor team that gets solid streaks here and there.....

I hope that I feel the feeling again someday of thinking 'damn...this team is going to do some damage'

It was nice...even though we didnt get a ring

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 03:16 PM

We actually had a chance to win the SUperbowl...I mean I think we ALL felt like as long as we just got into the playoffs man...we had a shot....

But something like 10 years of solid teams in there during marty ball made me really spoiled for just fielding a team that could beat anyone, yet break your heart in the playoffs....

I mean , I realize that a superbowl ring is really the main prize but you cant realistically hope to get a ring unless youve got a solid team for a number of years consecutively that gets hot streaks going from time to time.

WHat we have had, here in kc is a poor team that gets solid streaks here and there.....

I hope that I feel the feeling again someday of thinking 'damn...this team is going to do some damage'

It was nice.

The best part of that era, and a carryover from the old days, was that we fielded a defense that would literally fuck some people's shit up. People FEARED those fuckers.

Now, it's QB protection, offense first, tampax commercials, and pink shoes.

Yay.

Deberg_1990
04-11-2015, 03:16 PM
92 huh?

Was that the year Marion Butts and Natrone Means ran all over us in the playoffs?

Ming the Merciless
04-11-2015, 03:19 PM
The best part of that era, and a carryover from the old days, was that we fielded a defense that would literally **** some people's shit up. People FEARED those ****ers.

Exactly...

Furthermore, they were teams that were built TOUGH.

I have a slight disagreement that those teams weren't built with offense in mind..they most definitely WERE....it was just a ball control 3 yards and a cloud of dust 'old school' offense that was built around getting a good push on the line.
'
We were a tough, punch you in the mouth team on both sides of the ball.

No one fears us now....

Ming the Merciless
04-11-2015, 03:22 PM
92 huh?

Was that the year Marion Butts and Natrone Means ran all over us in the playoffs?

i had that game erased from my memory

uggh

milkman
04-11-2015, 03:32 PM

It was nice...even though we didnt get a ring

I never once believed any of those teams were going to a SB, even the Montana years.

The Franchise
04-11-2015, 03:34 PM
So Bufkin is Blackbob.....cool.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Exactly...

Furthermore, they were teams that were built TOUGH.

I have a slight disagreement that those teams weren't built with offense in mind..they most definitely WERE....it was just a ball control 3 yards and a cloud of dust 'old school' offense that was built around getting a good push on the line.
'
We were a tough, punch you in the mouth team on both sides of the ball.

No one fears us now....

This.

Ming the Merciless
04-11-2015, 04:02 PM
I never once believed any of those teams were going to a SB, even the Montana years.

my soul was still young then

i was about 19

Chiefshrink
04-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Do I think that Gannon should have started that game?
Absolutely.

Thank you !!:D

no way in hell that I can say with absolute certainty that the Chiefs win if he does.

Shannahan,Elway and the Denver D would disagree with you.

what Gannon did with the Raiders has no bearing whatever with hiw Gannon performed with the Chiefs.
He was a mediocre game manager in Marty's conservative offense.

Evidence with the Chiefs and especially the Raiders sure doesn't show that.

Glad to see you haven't changed delivering sour milk, you milk dud:D

milkman
04-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Thank you !!:D

Shannahan,Elway and the Denver D would disagree with you.

Show me a link that has either of them saying they would have lost that game if Gannon had started.

But, for the sake of argument, even if they did, it is still nothing more than opinion.

Evidence with the Chiefs and especially the Raiders sure doesn't show that.

Glad to see you haven't changed delivering sour milk, you milk dud:D

Evidence with ths Chiefs, you dumbass?

Evidence with the Chiefs, you dumbass, is that, as a Chief, he was a mediocre game manager that rode the defense to wins.

Dumbass.

Chiefshrink
04-11-2015, 05:23 PM
as a Chief, he was a mediocre game manager that rode the defense to wins.

You don't win 10 games as a starting QB being just a mediocre game mgr and then shortly thereafter become an NFL MVP QB. Differ and many other mediocre QB game mgrs have won 10 games but not the MVP. Which say's a ton about Gannon's ability. And you would take Gannon over Dilfer every time. You insist on separating Gannon's stints based on the different offenses he was in with each team(apples to oranges to you) and I get that but you didn't see what the rest of us saw in that the Chiefs O were markedly better(even IF Marty's offense stifled his ability somewhat) when he was in there. We had a big diamond(not in the rough either mind you) in our own back yard and Marty and You agreed he was just a game mgr Zirconium QB.

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2015, 06:37 PM
They had nearly identical stats. Gannon and the offense wasn't some juggerant that just turned it on because he was the QB. The Stoyo kick and the 49ers blowout win are just games that people remember.

The playoff game, Grbac actually had a good game. What everybody remembers though is the Lake Dawson pass to end the game. Again the bullshit pass interference call on Gonzalez, actually Stoyo missing was worst.

Reerun_KC
04-11-2015, 06:42 PM
This.

No one feared Marty's teams. Now then not ever,

When it mattered most. They were like a wet paper sack.

jimidollar
04-11-2015, 07:01 PM
92 huh?

A blackcat went off in my hand right after that game. It made me feel a bit better.