PDA

View Full Version : Football Dolphins, Mike Pouncey reach five-year, $52.15M deal

the Talking Can
04-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Centers getting paid this year...

The Miami Dolphins and Pro Bowler Mike Pouncey have agreed to a five-year extension worth $52.15 million, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The deal will make him the highest-paid center in the NFL by average annual value. It includes $22 million guaranteed and an $11 million signing bonus, sources told Schefter.

The average of more than $10 million per season surpasses the deal of Pittsburgh Steelers center and twin brother Maurkice Pouncey, whose total contract value averages $8.8 million per season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12665397/mike-pouncey-miami-dolphins-agree-5-year-5215-million-extension

milkman
04-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Centers are getting pricey.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Can you like make my Rodney bigger?

BossChief
04-11-2015, 08:45 AM
Colin Cowherd is a big better/gambler and has said on multiple occasions that center is the second most important position on offense in terms of how much of a point swing it causes in Vegas if one is injured and unable to play. It seems the pay scales are starting to reflect that a little more each year.

milkman
04-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Colin Cowherd is a big better/gambler and has said on multiple occasions that center is the second most important position on offense in terms of how much of a point swing it causes in Vegas if one is injured and unable to play. It seems the pay scales are starting to reflect that a little more each year.

I like Cowherd's show, but the fact is that he is a blowhard.

Centers have been historically undervalued, which I've noted a couple of times in the past.

The pay scale is beginning to reflect a shift in how they are valued.

Hoover
04-11-2015, 09:01 AM
I'd pay this for Pouncey, but I still wouldn't give Hudson 9mm

aturnis
04-11-2015, 09:03 AM
10 million for a center? A fucking Pouncey, none the less.

Fucking stupid.

chiefzilla1501
04-11-2015, 09:41 AM
He plays Center
Was one of the main people in the Dolphins' bullying situation
Doesn't stay healthy
Can't stay out of trouble

But let's give him $11M a year

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 09:49 AM
OH GOD WE BETTER DRAFT ONE IN ROUND ONE/Lil' Chiefy #panicktime

RealSNR
04-11-2015, 10:17 AM
If you could choose to have the best player at a position, where would C rank on that list?

Obviously QB is at the top. DE/OLB and LT are also up there. CB, WR, TE, NT are crucial.

Basically, I'd rank C above both OG spots, FB, K, P, 2-down ILB. MAYBE above one of the S spots or RB if I'm in a weird mood.

It's important, but it's still pretty far down the list in terms of "must-haves."

BigMeatballDave
04-11-2015, 10:44 AM
OH GOD WE BETTER DRAFT ONE IN ROUND ONE/Lil' Chiefy #panicktime

Other than Direckshun and Sac, I don't think anyone around here is in favor of this at all.

Rain Man
04-11-2015, 10:46 AM
That will buy a lot of bullets and lawyers.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Other than Direckshun and Sac, I don't think anyone around here is in favor of this at all.

Yeah, I know. It's just that with the lack of NFL action, my Troll-Quotient is dropping to below 100 year-plane levels these days...

:sulk:

Chief Roundup
04-11-2015, 12:46 PM
wow that is just crazy stupid. What position is now going to take a pay cut to be able to pay the C more?

Rausch
04-11-2015, 12:57 PM
I'd put him above Hudson and a clear top 5 at the position...

TLO
04-11-2015, 01:01 PM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/AZxuqrCydM2Ri/200w_d.gif

Rausch
04-11-2015, 01:03 PM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/AZxuqrCydM2Ri/200w_d.gif

I can see the Raiders doing it because they had to spend somewhere and it also hurt us.

Two birds - one stone....

Dave Lane
04-11-2015, 01:36 PM
IF they traded down twice piced up two extra 3rds and picked him end of 1st early second I could be on board.

Marcellus
04-12-2015, 07:47 PM
They are going to be in salary cap hell very soon.

chiefzilla1501
04-12-2015, 08:11 PM
I'd put him above Hudson and a clear top 5 at the position...

Assuming that playing ability is the only thing that matters. Hudson doesn't have any baggage. Not that I'm justifying either contract. I think both contracts are dumb.

Red Dawg
04-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Every position in the trenches is more important that the ones outside the trenches. The last several champs have proved it.

Lose up front on either side and you will not be champ. We need alot better play from our OL or nothing will change.

O.city
04-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Maybe the center position is more valuable than we view it? I don't think so, but the league seems too.

RobBlake
04-12-2015, 09:00 PM
5 bucks he is gonna go to jail before his contract is up

RealSNR
04-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Every position in the trenches is more important that the ones outside the trenches. The last several champs have proved it.

Lose up front on either side and you will not be champ. We need alot better play from our OL or nothing will change.

The Patriots OL and DL were far from the best in the league.

Would anybody say that their OL was even top 10? I wouldn't.

O.city
04-12-2015, 09:30 PM

I think a bigger part of OL play than we like to think depends on QB play.

RealSNR
04-12-2015, 10:11 PM

If we replace McGlynn with somebody decent, get improved play from both OTs and RG, and don't suffer too large of a setback from the C position, our offensive line should be good enough to win a Super Bowl.

jonzie04
04-12-2015, 10:32 PM

did you just pull this out of your ass or what? both the patriots and seattles o lines were horrendous. i do think seattles o line was as bad as ours. gb in 2011?

adding up pro bowl trench players from the past 5 sb champs during the year they won.

2014 pats ol 0 dl 0
2014 hawks ol 1 dl 0
2013 ravens ol 1 dl 1
2012 giants ol 0 dl 0
2011 packers ol 0 dl 0

grand total
2 pro bowl offensive lineman, and 1 pro bowl defensive lineman from the past 5 superbowl winning teams.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-13-2015, 03:31 AM
I think a bigger part of OL play than we like to think depends on QB play.

This

did you just pull this out of your ass or what? both the patriots and seattles o lines were horrendous. i do think seattles o line was as bad as ours. gb in 2011?

adding up pro bowl trench players from the past 5 sb champs during the year they won.

2014 pats ol 0 dl 0
2014 hawks ol 1 dl 0
2013 ravens ol 1 dl 1
2012 giants ol 0 dl 0
2011 packers ol 0 dl 0

grand total
2 pro bowl offensive lineman, and 1 pro bowl defensive lineman from the past 5 superbowl winning teams.

This too.

The fatty-believers just will not accept that a mediocre QB makes a sub par line look like the worst thing to ever fall off the turnip truck, and that a super line full of all-stars is not going to get shitbag QB to a Super Bowl.

Amnorix
04-13-2015, 06:53 AM

Patriots OLine in '14 basically had two JAGs at Guard, a rookie center who is very promising and was probably top half of the league for at least the second half of the year, a good-but-not-great left tackle, and a very good right tackle. I doubt all that equals out to top ten. Probably top half of the league.

Of course, a great QB who can help set blocking correctly and get the ball out quickly certainly helps them quite a bit.

Amnorix
04-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Meanwhile, Tannenbaum sure likes spending money. I imagine the Dolphins are going to find their salary cap is quite a noose around their neck in the next few years. And here's hoping it strangles them to death.

RealSNR
04-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Patriots OLine in '14 basically had two JAGs at Guard, a rookie center who is very promising and was probably top half of the league for at least the second half of the year, a good-but-not-great left tackle, and a very good right tackle. I doubt all that equals out to top ten. Probably top half of the league.

Of course, a great QB who can help set blocking correctly and get the ball out quickly certainly helps them quite a bit.

Exactly. Tuckdaddy is just spouting silly bullshit that he heard a bunch of old farts talking about at a sports bar one time.