PDA

View Full Version : Life Your affluence vs. your extended family's affluence.

Rain Man
04-12-2015, 01:30 PM
The Philip Buchanon thread got me wondering.

What's the income/wealth situation between you and your various family members - parents, in-laws, siblings, etc. Do you share information about finances? Know anything about their finances? Are there notable differences in income or wealth? Does it cause any issues?

My family is really good about everyone minding their own business and being self-supporting. I know a bit about others' finances because I'm the one who is often asked questions about finances, taxes, etc. and I usually come away from those discussions worried.

I think my family thinks I'm affluent, and I'm pretty sure I'm at the top end of the clan in that regard (at least on my side of the family), but I don't share my financial details at all. They all live in low cost of living places and don't quite get life in a big city and things like house prices and the fact that I don't have a pension coming and stuff. The only issue it's caused is that I've been groused at a few times for spending money on travel. But I always make a successful rebuttal that I'm the only one who decided not to have kids, which saves a ton of money. I'm sure everyone is equally annoyed by the time those conversations end, but it doesn't change anything.

I've only been asked for money a couple of times, and I gave it. I pretty much got paid back 20 years later, so I'm good. We also got a small loan from my in-laws for a down payment on our first condo, but paid it back with significant interest within a year. We just needed to come up with some cash fast to buy a particular place that was a steal. I don't remember if my wife asked or if they offered, but it bothered me greatly until we paid it back. We'd only been married a couple of years when it happened, so I didn't want to refuse it.

I do have one distant branch that I would never tell about my finances, because they'll show up on my doorstep, fake a fall, and try to sue me. But they're not an issue because I have little contact with them.

What's your family like?

ThaVirus
04-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Every member of my nuclear family is broke as shit. My mom and sister owe me so much money I had to cut them off a few years ago and I've loaned my dad $1500+ over the past year alone.

For the most part, the rest of my family, on both sides, falls within the range of the middle class. I do have one aunt that I would consider pretty wealthy.

Rain Man
04-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Every member of my nuclear family is broke as shit. My mom and sister owe me so much money I had to cut them off a few years ago and I've loaned my dad $1500+ over the past year alone.

For the most part, the rest of my family, on both sides, falls within the range of the middle class. I do have one aunt that I would consider pretty wealthy.

That's got to be a tough situation. I was facing the prospect of a similar cut-off situation at one point, but the family member seemed to recover and hasn't asked in many years. But it would have been awkward if it had come up again.

Donger
04-12-2015, 01:54 PM
My immediate side of the family are all doing well. One of my brothers is some kind of media/advertising/creative person and most here would recognize his work, so I'm sure that he's got a lot of cash. My other brothers and I are all in the same kind of field and are all successful. But, we are all pretty grounded, probably because of our origins. We don't really discuss net worth and such when we are together and have never needed to ask for money from each other. My relatives in England are all "working class" and not at all affluent. They give us crap about being "rich Americans" all the time, which I find rather sad.

My wife's family is different. She has one sibling that is very successful and a few that just scrape by.

Al Bundy
04-12-2015, 01:55 PM
I am right square in the middle. My grandmother and mom have some money, I have some money, my older sister has some money, but my uncle is broke as shit.

milkman
04-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I consider you all extended family.

Can I borrow some money?

BigRedChief
04-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Almost every member of my family from both sides of my family are poor. I grew up poor.

Donger
04-12-2015, 02:02 PM

Can I borrow some money?

Yes, but it would probably serve you better if you just spent it.

Rain Man
04-12-2015, 02:03 PM

Can I borrow some money?

ThaVirus seems like an easy mark, at least for the first couple of times.

Rain Man
04-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Almost every member of my family from both sides of my family are poor. I grew up poor.

So does it cause problems now when they visit you and see you lounging at your tropical pool? Or are they cool with it?

milkman
04-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Yes, but it would probably serve you better if you just spent it.

Did you think I said "burrow"?

Dante84
04-12-2015, 02:07 PM
My immediate family does fairly well. My brothers both have families they can care and provide for. One is an attorney, another is an insurance sales director.

I had a rough start out of school, graduating with a BA in communications in 2008 - worst year ever. Bartending, Waiting tables, and being an intern, then commission-only online ad sales for small businesses was tough. Parents let me live at home for 2.5 years because I was making nothing, and there was seemingly no way to get out from under. At the same time, dad was let go and was out of work for just under 2 years as well... they pretty much lost all they had saved for retirement, at the age of ~60. It was rough.

Dad ended up getting into a job for 2 years that was paying better than the one that let him go, and ended up providing excellent retirement benefits. Through some strategic work with the market, they are now set up to be comfortable, but not wealthy.

I finally said "fuck it" and moved down to Austin for the software industry. I have been blessed to work with 2 great companies, previous and current, and should I snag a promotion in the next 6 months, I would be on par with my bro's, but at a younger age and no house/family to spend it on.

Mom's side of the family has stayed in the lower-middle class, but they get by. Father's side has had a pretty low economic status due to various health issues and life choices.

ThaVirus
04-12-2015, 02:16 PM
ThaVirus seems like an easy mark, at least for the first couple of times.

Hehh.

Unfortunately, that's not far off the mark. In addition to funding my family's irresponsibility and shitty life decisions, I've also loaned money to friend in the past.

Thankfully they all paid me back.

BigRedChief
04-12-2015, 03:11 PM
So does it cause problems now when they visit you and see you lounging at your tropical pool? Or are they cool with it?Not really. I've always been the outsider in the family. I'm a totally different person than most in the family. Most never could understand why I just couldn't accept my life of being poor and redneck.

MahiMike
04-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Families should talk more openly about money. They don't teach it in school. For some reason, it's as hush-hush as politics and sex.

Chiefshrink
04-12-2015, 03:17 PM

Thx Milk !!:D

Chiefshrink
04-12-2015, 03:19 PM
My immediate family does fairly well. My brothers both have families they can care and provide for. One is an attorney, another is an insurance sales director.

I had a rough start out of school, graduating with a BA in communications in 2008 - worst year ever. Bartending, Waiting tables, and being an intern, then commission-only online ad sales for small businesses was tough. Parents let me live at home for 2.5 years because I was making nothing, and there was seemingly no way to get out from under. At the same time, dad was let go and was out of work for just under 2 years as well... they pretty much lost all they had saved for retirement, at the age of ~60. It was rough.

Dad ended up getting into a job for 2 years that was paying better than the one that let him go, and ended up providing excellent retirement benefits. Through some strategic work with the market, they are now set up to be comfortable, but not wealthy.

I finally said "**** it" and moved down to Austin for the software industry. I have been blessed to work with 2 great companies, previous and current, and should I snag a promotion in the next 6 months, I would be on par with my bro's, but at a younger age and no house/family to spend it on.

Mom's side of the family has stayed in the lower-middle class, but they get by. Father's side has had a pretty low economic status due to various health issues and life choices.

Way to stay at it man !! Good for you!!:thumb:

Hammock Parties
04-12-2015, 03:25 PM
My dad is loaded, but spends money like he's not. They JUST got a flatscreen TV this year. It's inconceivable, especially considering he owns probably $10,000 in guns.

I'm pretty sure there's a sizable chunk of change coming my way in the next 20 years. Which is good, because neither of my grandparents made shit. Which was also probably good, because it led to me having the cool parents that I do have.

scho63
04-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Families should talk more openly about money. They don't teach it in school. For some reason, it's as hush-hush as politics and sex.

They should toss out all the silly shit they teach in school and focus more on things that help you in life. Money management being a huge one. :clap:

Reaper16
04-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Grew up lower middle class at best (single-parent household; said parent making a rural school teacher's salary). Both sets of grandparents did OK for themselves - middle class, dollars stretching out because of mostly rural location.

I'm decidedly lower class right now.

One of my aunts is maybe more poor than I am. My uncle (dad's brother) is upper middle class. Dude owns a house construction business & does well for himself.

BigMeatballDave
04-12-2015, 04:52 PM
My dad is loaded, but spends money like he's not. They JUST got a flatscreen TV this year. It's inconceivable, especially considering he owns probably $10,000 in guns.

I'm pretty sure there's a sizable chunk of change coming my way in the next 20 years. Which is good, because neither of my grandparents made shit. Which was also probably good, because it led to me having the cool parents that I do have.

Just how much are we talking about?

I'm willing to be the little spoon...

:)

Discuss Thrower
04-12-2015, 04:54 PM
My relatives in England are all "working class" and not at all affluent. They give us crap about being "rich Americans" all the time, which I find rather sad.

Aren't we on like the seventh generation of British class angst or some shit? Isn't it time to let that go....?

Bearcat
04-12-2015, 05:18 PM
But I always make a successful rebuttal that I'm the only one who decided not to have kids, which saves a ton of money.

Having bought a new car recently, I've had a few of these discussions lately where people make little comments about income or whatever, and I mention not having kids, buying a house that's well under the recommended housing expense/income ratio, and saving money for the things I really want.

I have a pretty big family and there's a pretty wide range of income... regardless of who I'm talking to though, I try to keep my own finances to myself. For the rare times when someone comes off like I must be making some crazy amount of money, mentioning no kids usually does the trick. I dunno, when I was making $30k/yr out of college, I bought a ~$27k car and had a $500/month car payment... granted, it wasn't a good financial decision, it was within my budget at the time and never came back to bite me in the ass, so it's not like I had to be swimming in cash to buy something I really wanted... and some of the comments I hear, especially from people who don't have kids, really makes me wonder what people spend their money on and if they realize you don't have to spend all of it every month or buy a house that's 28% of your income because that's what they say you should do, etc... :shrug:

Bugeater
04-12-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm probably the least successful of the siblings. Older brother is a Civil Engineer and does pretty well for himself. Younger brother...ehhh he works for Ameritrade, not really sure what he does there but he has a newer car and home than I do so I'm assuming he makes more than me, although maybe he's in debt up to his eyeballs or maybe his wife makes all the money. Who knows. I never took school seriously and fucked off and partied through my teens and most of my 20s and I paid the price for it. I do ok now and I guarantee I've had more fun than either of my brothers.

We grew up somewhat poor because my mom didn't make all that much and my dad took off when I was 10 or 11 and was a deadbeat after that. He lives in a mobile home now so I'm guessing his financial situation isn't all that great.

Grandparents on my mom's side were land-rich but cash-poor farmers, my uncle on that side is a retired civil engineer and owns a fair bit of farmland and I'm sure has a nice sum socked away since he never married or had kids.

Wife's side of the family is loaded, her mom is a retired oncologist and her uncles are both pilots for a major airline.

kccrow
04-12-2015, 06:17 PM
One uncle is a millionaire former engineer that patented a few soup can labeling machines or some shit. Other than that, pretty much everyone is paycheck to paycheck. Nobody is dirt fucking poor, but nobody has much to note.

alnorth
04-12-2015, 07:02 PM
As far as I can tell, I make the most money in my extended family, but I would not consider myself to be in the upper class at all. My mother is doing fairly well, not very far from my level. One of my two brothers is doing pretty well and may make about as much as I do soon. I also have an uncle and a couple random cousins who are doing OK.

Everyone else in my family on both sides is broke as hell.

SAUTO
04-12-2015, 07:04 PM
I grew up dirt poor, I'm the top level of my immediate family. I do all right for myself. I've got a couple uncles who do pretty well too.

My wife's side?

Some of the extended family are on another level than probably 99.9 percent of the people in the world.

Amnorix
04-13-2015, 07:12 AM

This. Sooo this. Our local HS has a class on finance which my kids WILL take.

They will also each get thorough lessons in basic economics from us before they leave the house.

ChiTown
04-13-2015, 07:25 AM
I've been more fortunate in my career than my siblings. When my Mom passed away a couple of years ago, I gave my share of my inheritance to my brother's and sister. It wasn't F You money, but right around $60K/per sibling. I think they were both surprised and appreciative of the gesture.

We don't necessarily talk about finances - there is really no need to. My Family knows if they need financial help, I will help them however I can. Conversely, they are there for me in other ways that are just as important. None of my siblings have EVER asked for money, I've just known when to extend the offer (as a gift, not a loan).

Imon Yourside
04-13-2015, 07:27 AM
I'm literally surrounded my millionaires so we're the poor side of our family, I make around 100k give or take right now. So ya, poor here.

Fat Elvis
04-13-2015, 07:39 AM
I have a cousin who is probably worth hundreds of millions, my wife has an older cousin who is supposedly a billionaire. Yeah, we're nowhere close to that.

Katipan
04-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Both my parents and the boyfriends parents do well. My dads side has a lot of nice property. My mothers side gets excited when we send clothes and $100 to PI. Siblings all do well for rural Iowa.

First National Bank of mom and dad is always open and I never use it. I really don't care about stuff. And I can feed, clothe, entertain my own kids.

Graystoke
04-13-2015, 01:07 PM
We are all just average. Not hurting for money, not swimming in it.

BTW, I am having a hard time adjusting to your new Avatar Rain Main. Is this permanent?

Rain Man
04-14-2015, 09:36 AM
We are all just average. Not hurting for money, not swimming in it.

BTW, I am having a hard time adjusting to your new Avatar Rain Main. Is this permanent?

It's just until we get the ermine named as the UND mascot. Have you submitted a nomination?

I must admit, though, I kind of like the ermine. I've been a stick man for 14 years, and it's kind of tempting to stick with the ermine for a while.

Faddy Yomama
04-14-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm 17 and currently living with my dad, stepmom, and stepsister. My mom loves getting high so I don't get to see her that often. I have a 13 y/o half-brother who I hardly ever get to see anymore. I also have an older brother who's 19 and lives with my mom's former boyfriend because he can't afford rent to stay with his pregnant girlfriend.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Suuuuuuuure

alnorth
04-14-2015, 12:49 PM
It's just until we get the ermine named as the UND mascot. Have you submitted a nomination?

I must admit, though, I kind of like the ermine. I've been a stick man for 14 years, and it's kind of tempting to stick with the ermine for a while.

Maybe a stick ermine?

Rain Man
04-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Maybe a stick ermine?

I would certainly welcome that. But they're hard to find on the Internet.

cosmo20002
04-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Your affluence vs. your extended family's affluence.

I keep reading this as "flatulence."

alnorth
04-14-2015, 12:56 PM

That might a feature, not a bug

raybec 4
04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Grew up poor as shit. Probably upper half of middle class now.

vailpass
04-14-2015, 01:00 PM
I was raised a poor black child...

Rain Man
04-14-2015, 01:06 PM

Effluents?

Stewie
04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
My immediate and extended family do OK. My cousin that farms probably has the highest net worth. That has only come about in the last few years, mainly through land prices. He still makes a nice living even with grain prices lower than a couple of years ago. It was a completely different story for them back in the '80s. He had to take a job driving a truck for the USPS and work at a grain elevator to keep afloat.

My wealthiest extended family member is my dad's cousin. He's now retired, but was a ear/nose/throat physician (UCLA grad). He developed the surgical procedure to fix fused ossicles (inner ear "bone") on newborns. He built a castle in Agoura Hills and had an awesome place at Lake Arrowhead from the demand for that technique. He sold those places a few years back and now lives in Newport Beach.

BWillie
04-14-2015, 02:16 PM
My mom is middle class, my dad is upper middle class. I guess based on the amount of money I make a year I am considered upper middle class, but I drive a ten year old vehicle and only live in a 170k house. So it sure don't look like it.

Great Expectations
04-14-2015, 03:27 PM

That changed, or it at least in Missouri it has. Students are required to complete a financial education course.