Man, that's horrible.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/californias-drought/?ftag=ACQ91b4377

In58men
04-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks Dan

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/13/c2f91a72cf2e6ea829c3aaf283e3d7ee.jpg

Pablo
04-13-2015, 09:15 AM
BRB, going to turn my shower on and let it run for an hour before I get in.

sd4chiefs
04-13-2015, 09:19 AM
BRB, going to turn my shower on and let it run for an hour before I get in.

:cuss:

TribalElder
04-13-2015, 09:20 AM
Just ask for a glass of water in a resturaunt out there

Amazing they make cups so small

The Franchise
04-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Yeah....and as fucked up as it is.....residential water use accounts for 5% of the water use in the state of California. There is a report that the state could reduce water use by 20% by fixing the fucking leaks in the system.

OldSchool
04-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Yeah....and as ****ed up as it is.....residential water use accounts for 5% of the water use in the state of California. There is a report that the state could reduce water use by 20% by fixing the ****ing leaks in the system.

Yup, the bs new laws target just 5% of the water use in Cali. Somehow, I don't think a roughly 1% reduction, at most, will help much in fighting the drought. How about cutting into that other 95%?

Fish
04-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Probably just some sneaky lying climate scientists fudging some data...

KC native
04-13-2015, 09:29 AM
Yeah....and as fucked up as it is.....residential water use accounts for 5% of the water use in the state of California. There is a report that the state could reduce water use by 20% by fixing the fucking leaks in the system.

This country's infrastructure is crumbling and the idiots on both sides can't seem to agree to borrow when we have record low interest rates to fix it.

In58men
04-13-2015, 09:40 AM
No more pistachios for you guys

tooge
04-13-2015, 10:02 AM
How about desalination plants. I mean, the entire freaking state border on the west is ocean.

Beef Supreme
04-13-2015, 10:05 AM
How about desalination plants. I mean, the entire freaking state border on the west is ocean.

Naw, Let's build a new NFL stadium!

Skyy God
04-13-2015, 10:07 AM
This country's infrastructure is crumbling and the idiots on both sides can't seem to agree to borrow when we have record low interest rates to fix it.

To be fair, one side has proposed fixing at least part of our aging infrastructure.....

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-wants-new-tax-to-fix-infrastructure/article/2559641

Skyy God
04-13-2015, 10:08 AM

Insanely expensive.

Bugeater
04-13-2015, 10:09 AM

Requires a shitload of energy.

tooge
04-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Ok, fuck em then. Let em dry up.

In58men
04-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Ok, **** em then. Let em dry up.

Not nice.

BigMeatballDave
04-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Ok, fuck em then. Let em dry up.

Heh, yeah.

Desalination is the answer, they should have been planning for it for years.

Fucking Arizona has been in a 'drought' for... ever and they don't seem to have a water problem. They have an elaborate canal system, right?

Ming the Merciless
04-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Almonds are a crazy water-sucker...

I hope none of you guys like almonds......because I think theyre not gonna be grown here any more.

Our Ag industry is gonna be hurting....

Chromatic
04-13-2015, 10:25 AM
The kids of the generations born today are going to have so many problems to deal with.

Thank god I'll be dead.

Discuss Thrower
04-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Requires a shitload of energy.

Na na na I call bullshit on the energy thing.

Build essentially an expansive greenhouse out in a place that you can easily let a manageable amount of seawater in but also receives a ton of sunlight. Allow the water in to the point where the greenhouse floor is covered by a few inches of dihydrogen monoxide. Let the water evaporate into the ceiling of the greenhouse where it's drawn away from the collection area by solar powered fans / other air pressure system to be condensed back into liquid form for storage. At night let convicts scrape the particulates off of greenhouse floor for whatever can be used at best or to allow the floor to be used again the next day at worst.

The water, as my limited scientific understanding has lead me to believe, should be safe for agricultural or industrial use while remaining relatively cheap compared to reverse osmosis.

Ming the Merciless
04-13-2015, 10:27 AM
1.1 gallons of water PER almond

4.9 gallons of water per walnut

3.3 gallons per tomato

gblowfish
04-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Desalinization requires a lot of power, but it's been used in the middle east, Australia and New Zealand with great success. Water is more expensive, but it's plentiful. The power issue can be addressed with solar and wind power. We can solve this problem, and the more widespread the technology becomes, the less expensive it will be to implement and operate. California is building a couple of new desalinization plants right now. and one is supposed to be up and running this summer.

Chromatic
04-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Na na na I call bullshit on the energy thing.

Build essentially an expansive greenhouse out in a place that you can easily let a manageable amount of seawater in but also receives a ton of sunlight. Allow the water in to the point where the greenhouse floor is covered by a few inches of dihydrogen monoxide. Let the water evaporate into the ceiling of the greenhouse where it's drawn away from the collection area by solar powered fans / other air pressure system to be condensed back into liquid form for storage. At night let convicts scrape the particulates off of greenhouse floor for whatever can be used at best or to allow the floor to be used again the next day at worst.

The water, as my limited scientific understanding has lead me to believe, should be safe for agricultural or industrial use while remaining relatively cheap compared to reverse osmosis.

Something like this?

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/California-drought-Solar-desalination-plant-5326024.php

Discuss Thrower
04-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Something like this?

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/California-drought-Solar-desalination-plant-5326024.php

... really tired of having ideas that have already been executed by other people ...

It's like I've been destined to be worthless or something.

cosmo20002
04-13-2015, 10:35 AM
1.1 gallons of water PER almond

4.9 gallons of water per walnut

3.3 gallons per tomato

Tomatoes are one thing, but would anyone even notice if walnuts vanished forever? **** walnuts.

Red Beans
04-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Tomatoes are one thing, but would anyone even notice if walnuts vanished forever? **** walnuts.

They ruin every goddamn dessert they touch.

sd4chiefs
04-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Heh, yeah.

Desalination is the answer, they should have been planning for it for years.

****ing Arizona has been in a 'drought' for... ever and they don't seem to have a water problem. They have an elaborate canal system, right?

They have been. San Diego finally got something right.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/11/carlsbad-desalination-project-nears-completion/

CARLSBAD — As an unprecedented drought tightens its grip on California, completion is near for the $1 billion Carlsbad Desalination Project that is expected to supply 7 to 10 percent of San Diego County’s drinking water by the end of this year.

Bugeater
04-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Agreed, my mom ruined countless pans of brownies with those fucking things when I was growing up.

kepp
04-13-2015, 11:25 AM

I hate big walnut

GloryDayz
04-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Probably just some sneaky lying climate scientists fudging some data...

My lawn is soggy. Perhaps the folks in CA might want to consider relocating if they like drinking water. That 80-degree weather and low humidity seems to have a price attached to it.

Not to worry though, the polar caps are melting away and year now the ocean is going to rise and they'll be all wet again.

But I do feel bad for them, it must suck to go through these water restrictions.

mr. tegu
04-13-2015, 11:48 AM
How can there be an unprecedented drought every year? Never mind. I realize now it has been the same drought for years now.

GloryDayz
04-13-2015, 11:50 AM
How can there be an unprecedented drought every year? Never mind. I realize now it has been the same drought for years now.

Interstellar warming.

tooge
04-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Desalinization requires a lot of power, but it's been used in the middle east, Australia and New Zealand with great success. Water is more expensive, but it's plentiful. The power issue can be addressed with solar and wind power. We can solve this problem, and the more widespread the technology becomes, the less expensive it will be to implement and operate. California is building a couple of new desalinization plants right now. and one is supposed to be up and running this summer.

I was going to say something similar but didn't want to argue, hence my "fuck em, let em dry up" response

vailpass
04-13-2015, 11:59 AM
They could have built new dams years ago but they let the environmentalists get their way.

morphius
04-13-2015, 12:23 PM
I was going to say something similar but didn't want to argue, hence my "**** em, let em dry up" response
My only fear with that philosophy is then they will move were we live, and really, keeping Californians in one state is a pretty good idea. Just ask the people in Wyoming.

The Franchise
04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
They could have built new dams years ago but they let the environmentalists get their way.

This could be said about a lot of things here.

morphius
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM
They will probably try and block desalinization efforts as well.

Contrarian
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Why don't they simply close the over 1800 golf courses in the state. Palm Springs alone has 59 golf courses, each golf course uses 1.2 million gallons of water per day. That is enough H20 to provide a family of four water for four years.

Discuss Thrower
04-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Why don't they simply close the over 1800 golf courses in the state. Palm Springs alone has 59 golf courses, each golf course uses 1.2 million gallons of water per day. That is enough H20 to provide a family of four water for four years.

Golf courses reclaim their water.

Agriculture is the main reason for the drought, plain and simple.

GloryDayz
04-13-2015, 12:42 PM

I know the residents of the city of Va. Beach have be struggling with water issues too. One of the obvious answers was to pull the water out of Lake Gaston ~100 miles to the west. It's been caught up in the courts for years, and I'm not sure what ever happened, but it was epic to say the least.

Here (http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/public-utilities/about-pu/lake-gaston/Pages/lake-gaston-water-supply-project-questions-and-answers.aspx) are excerpts from the city's web page. I'm not sure what technology has changed in the last 12 years, but I hope it's enough to reduce the power draw.

But you're right, it is solvable if you can solve the power issue with desalinization.

Would not desalting processes be more environmentally acceptable than the Lake Gaston Project?
Not necessarily so. A brackish water desalination plant would require large withdrawals from an aquifer which is already stressed. It would also generate a large waste stream which must be disposed of in the Chesapeake Bay or the Atlantic Ocean. A seawater desalination plant would use one megawatt of power per million gallons per day of capacity. Therefore, a 60 million gallon per day desalination plant would require a 60 megawatt power supply. This is approximately 120 percent of the average electric generation of the John H. Kerr Reservoir. It is approximately one-fourth the average output of a medium size power plant. There are environmental impacts with the generation of that much energy. The energy must be generated by burning coal, fuel oil, natural gas, nuclear fuel, or the construction of additional hydroelectric facilities. Additionally, a seawater desalting plant would discharge one to two gallons of waste brine for each gallon of water produced. Waste brine discharge has recently become a controversial issue with respect to proposed brackish and seawater desalting plants.
Would the water quality from a desalting plant be better than that of Lake Gaston?
In some respects, water from a desalting plant would have better quality than conventionally treated surface water and, in other respects, it would not. Water from a brackish groundwater desalting plant would generally be of very good quality; however, it would be more corrosive than conventional surface water and higher in sodium. Water from a seawater desalting plant, if it used the reverse osmosis process, would be very high in sodium and more corrosive than current supplies. Sodium levels would be so high that the product water might have to be desalted a second time in a brackish water desalting process raising the costs even further. If an evaporative process such as multi-stage flash distillation were used, then the water would be very corrosive and in the summer and early fall months would be very warm which would make it aesthetically unpleasing.
Would desalination plants be more reliable than the Lake Gaston Project?
No, they would not be. Conventional water treatment plants are reliable more than 99 percent of the time. Even the best operated sea water desalting plants are reliable only about 85 to 90 percent of the time and quite often technical problems can lower that figure.

Easy 6
04-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Thats genuinely hard to look at, it makes my greenie side angry.

I dont know what the fix is, but our government better come up with something.

Easy 6
04-13-2015, 12:46 PM

And theres the fix I was looking for, you'll never find a bigger proponent of solar and wind power than me... there isnt one good reason why the US shouldnt be leading the world by a mile with that technology.

Easy 6
04-13-2015, 12:49 PM

LMAO

If theres one thing old people just LOVE to do, its **** up a perfectly good dessert with walnuts.

Graystoke
04-13-2015, 12:53 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24993601/california-drought-past-dry-periods-have-lasted-more

Snipet:

California's current drought is being billed as the driest period in the state's recorded rainfall history. But scientists who study the West's long-term climate patterns say the state has been parched for much longer stretches before that 163-year historical period began.

And they worry that the "megadroughts" typical of California's earlier history could come again.

Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years -- compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.

Mojo Rising
04-13-2015, 12:54 PM
It looked like we were going to have some relief last year when they predicted a return of El Nino. This year ended up being worse than last year. Much of the precipitation that did come did as rain in the upper elevations instead of snow because of warmer temperatures.

We were in Mammoth last week for Spring Break and caught a lucky snow storm. We were able to snowboard every day. Before the storm we were planning on hiking and renting ATV's.

Our HOA just ripped out all of the common area lawns and replaced them with drought tolerant landscaping. The people who lived next to the grass put up a big fight but were outvoted.

IN OC we recycle some of our waste water. They call it toilet to tap. The system can produce 3 times the water at half the cost of desalinization.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/from-toilet-to-tap-water/

The media is starting to target the Palm Desert area with heir golf courses and man made lakes. That will be an interesting fight.

Contrarian
04-13-2015, 01:32 PM
There isn't reclamation on water used in desert environments such as Palm springs. It evaporates before the reclamation process.

The Franchise
04-13-2015, 01:37 PM
It looked like we were going to have some relief last year when they predicted a return of El Nino. This year ended up being worse than last year. Much of the precipitation that did come did as rain in the upper elevations instead of snow because of warmer temperatures.

We were in Mammoth last week for Spring Break and caught a lucky snow storm. We were able to snowboard every day. Before the storm we were planning on hiking and renting ATV's.

Our HOA just ripped out all of the common area lawns and replaced them with drought tolerant landscaping. The people who lived next to the grass put up a big fight but were outvoted.

IN OC we recycle some of our waste water. They call it toilet to tap. The system can produce 3 times the water at half the cost of desalinization.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/from-toilet-to-tap-water/

The media is starting to target the Palm Desert area with heir golf courses and man made lakes. That will be an interesting fight.

They're starting to offer rebates for lawn removals. $1.00 a square foot.....fucking pathetic.

BeeHo
04-13-2015, 01:49 PM
The answer lies in GRAVITY.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/55/555a405309cf38069dd5986b7cf495684bdc808af33fd6a0a2569196d513f977.jpg

Beef Supreme
04-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Next come the stillsuits, then the sand worms.

BigRichard
04-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Next come the stillsuits, then the sand worms.

Then little creepy kids who know all sorts of shit they shouldn't.

Discuss Thrower
04-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Then little creepy kids who know all sorts of shit they shouldn't.

But she did grow up to be quite the hottie tho

GloryDayz
04-13-2015, 02:55 PM
LOL, I guess not so much...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eIs7-K_5EVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz
04-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Minnesota wins....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wqtRQbehvWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ModSocks
04-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Earthquakes.....fires....that's what's on most Californian's minds.

I'm much more worried about a lack of water. I don't wanna click the link, it stresses the shit out of me.

FD
04-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Good article here (https://medium.com/matter/let-it-rain-ac793178d51c), this is the key bit:

The single most important statistic in understanding the current crisis is this: 80% of California’s surface water supports agriculture, largely the farms and ranches of the Central Valley. Compared to that massive flow, the residential abuses are almost an afterthought. If every single human being living south of Los Angeles packed up and moved to rainy Oregon, it wouldn’t improve California’s water situation as much as a mere 10% decrease in the water used by the Central Valley crops and livestock.

In other words, even if this drought is a sign of climates to come, California has plenty of water to support its lifestyle. It just won’t have enough to support its crops, without significant changes to make those farms more water-efficient. It seems bizarre that a region like the Central Valley with just six million people — barely more than 10% of the state’s population — should use so much of the water. But then you realize that the vast majority of people benefiting from that water don’t live in California at all. The Central Valley takes up only 1% of the landmass of the United States, but it produces 25% of the food we eat, and almost half of the fruits or nuts we consume. California is running through its water supply because, for complicated historical and climatological reasons, it has taken on the burden of feeding the rest of the country. The average Times reader sneering at those desert lawns from the Upper West Side might want to think about the canned tomatoes, avocados, and almonds in his or her kitchen before denouncing the irresponsible lifestyles of the California emigres. Because the truth is California doesn’t have a water problem. We all do.

ModSocks
04-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Good article here (https://medium.com/matter/let-it-rain-ac793178d51c), this is the key bit:

YEAH! So keep your stupid west coast hatin' ass comments to your self or stop eating our food.

Booya grandma.

GloryDayz
04-13-2015, 03:11 PM

Interesting to say the least.

The Franchise
04-13-2015, 03:12 PM

YEAH! So keep your stupid west coast hatin' ass comments to your self or stop eating our food.

Booya grandma.

http://media.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif

ThaVirus
04-13-2015, 03:14 PM

That's interesting. I've always wondered why Florida doesn't contribute more agriculturally. We've got tons of open, flat land and it rains every day during rain seasons.

GloryDayz
04-13-2015, 03:20 PM
That's interesting. I've always wondered why Florida doesn't contribute more agriculturally. We've got tons of open, flat land and it rains every day during rain seasons.

Alligators eat it all?

ThaVirus
04-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Alligators eat it all?

Maybe it's too wet? I think many parts of Florida are right at or below sea level..

BigMeatballDave
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM

Have you missed all those trees that bear oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit? :)

I don't think Florida's soil is good for growing much of anything other than palm trees and citrus trees. Florida is mostly just a giant sandbar.

KS Smitty
04-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Have you missed all those trees that bear oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit? :)

I don't think Florida's soil is good for growing much of anything other than palm trees and citrus trees. Florida is mostly just a giant sandbar.

Where I work right now our fresh green beans are coming from Florida as is the sweet corn. Strawberries are commercially grown also but we get California for some reason. Our oranges are coming from CA, grapefruit are Texas, lemons and limes are Mexico. Lettuce, spinach, artichokes, brussels sprouts, almost any fresh produce you see in your grocery store right now is from California or outside of the US. Before refrigeration these items were unheard of in Kansas at this time of year.

Bwana
04-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Yeah I've been following this for awhile and they are fucked.

Marcellus
04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Maybe it's too wet? I think many parts of Florida are right at or below sea level..

You think?

That's funny shit right there.

scho63
04-13-2015, 06:34 PM
I went by this reservoir every weekend from 1996 to 2001 to play golf at Cinnabar Hills in San Jose when I lived in Mountain View CA. It was full and thriving!

How sad!

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/californias-drought/8/?ftag=ACQ91b4377

DaneMcCloud
04-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Yeah I've been following this for awhile and they are fucked.

It's really dumb. The state is allowing Nestle to bottle essential water yet asking consumers to cut back.

We don't use much water here, so there's not much I can do personally, but as usual, the state is making poor decisions, IMO. Nestle is allegedly pulling 250 million gallons of water per year on a permit that expired 27 years ago.

I once failed to file my business permit with the city before December 31st and received a $2 million dollar tax bill, which I rectified immediately, yet Nestle has pulled billions of gallons of water on an expired permit?

:shake:

Easy 6
04-13-2015, 06:48 PM
It's really dumb. The state is allowing Nestle to bottle essential water yet asking consumers to cut back.

That helps confirm a long held rumor that Nestle was draining all of the lakes and rivers for their candy processing and bottled water programs... people can make fun of Jesse Ventura all they want, but he was on this topic three years ago with his TruTv show.

The evidence was right there for anyone to see, Nestle had security at their water pumping sites like you'd expect at Fort Knox, it was disturbing to say the least.

Many people will laugh this off because of the source, but Jesse was on this case a long time ago, God bless him.

I wouldn't say they're totally responsible for it all, at all... but they are a MAJOR contributing factor, they are literally sucking lakes dry... laugh if you want, but do 15 minutes of googling and tell me different people.

BigMeatballDave
04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Where I work right now our fresh green beans are coming from Florida as is the sweet corn. Strawberries are commercially grown also but we get California for some reason. Our oranges are coming from CA, grapefruit are Texas, lemons and limes are Mexico. Lettuce, spinach, artichokes, brussels sprouts, almost any fresh produce you see in your grocery store right now is from California or outside of the US. Before refrigeration these items were unheard of in Kansas at this time of year.

I'm surprised to know that corn is grown in Florida having lived there and driving OTR.

I do know that most Florida oranges are used for juicing.

I used to pick up juice from the Coca-Cola plant in Auburndale. I've heard that California oranges are better for eating. Florida for juicing.

Discuss Thrower
04-13-2015, 07:34 PM

We don't use much water here, so there's not much I can do personally, but as usual, the state is making poor decisions, IMO. Nestle is allegedly pulling 250 million gallons of water per year on a permit that expired 27 years ago.

I once failed to file my business permit with the city before December 31st and received a $2 million dollar tax bill, which I rectified immediately, yet Nestle has pulled billions of gallons of water on an expired permit?

:shake:

From what I've read Nestle is the most evil corporations on the face of the planet.

Mojo Rising
04-13-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm surprised to know that corn is grown in Florida having lived there and driving OTR.

I do know that most Florida oranges are used for juicing.

I used to pick up juice from the Coca-Cola plant in Auburndale. I've heard that California oranges are better for eating. Florida for juicing.

Washington Navels, from South America, thrive in California and do not grow well in Florida. I have 2 in my yard. Navels are seedless and are juicier/sweeter.

Easy 6
04-13-2015, 08:11 PM
That expired permit means they are drawing a helluva lot more than 250 per year, they have a license to steal right now.

ChiliConCarnage
04-13-2015, 08:38 PM
I think water's maybe one of the scarier but less publicized issues we face in the future.
I don't think it's an issue for our gen, our childrens gen, or even *likely* their childrens gen but it doesn't mean we should be super assholes dumping water onto weeds and grass so it's greener.

Perhaps in the meantime we'll come up with something amazing.

stevieray
04-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Yeah I've been following this for awhile and they are ****ed.

i heard this only the beginning of their water problem..

,,,and walnuts on drumsticks are delicious.

KCwolf
04-13-2015, 09:37 PM
I think water's maybe one of the scarier but less publicized issues we face in the future.
I don't think it's an issue for our gen, our childrens gen, or even *likely* their childrens gen but it doesn't mean we should be super assholes dumping water onto weeds and grass so it's greener.

Perhaps in the meantime we'll come up with something amazing.

Ummmmm .... I'm interested in what Rain Forrest you live in ... cuz I live in the PNW - where it used to rain .... been here 27 years and after this winter I can see water restrictions on the horizon ...

It is an issue for OUR generation ... I hope your children see a major climate change or things are REALLY going to get interesting.

Water, which will be restricted, will be one of our most valuable resources in OUR lifetime - I guess it depends on where you reside. Regardless.... H2O is muy importante' and there is not much left on this planet

Baby Lee
04-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Ummmmm .... I'm interested in what Rain Forrest you live in ... cuz I live in the PNW - where it used to rain .... been here 27 years and after this winter I can see water restrictions on the horizon ...

It is an issue for OUR generation ... I hope your children see a major climate change or things are REALLY going to get interesting.

Water, which will be restricted, will be one of our most valuable resources in OUR lifetime - I guess it depends on where you reside. Regardless.... H2O is muy importante' and there is not much left on this planet

Are you suggesting water has disappeared from the planet?

It's a problem, but it's a logistics problem, not a resources problem.

Jewish Rabbi
04-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Are you suggesting water has disappeared from the planet?

It's a problem, but it's a logistics problem, not a resources problem.

Lawls at Kc wolf

Chiefshrink
04-13-2015, 10:37 PM

Pelosi and the California Dems know all about turning the water back on but they refuse:rolleyes:

Eureka
04-14-2015, 12:14 AM
It's raining like cats and dogs here on the Northern Cali coast this evening.

Ming the Merciless
04-14-2015, 12:50 AM

Not here sadly (bodega)

Mojo Rising
04-14-2015, 09:28 AM

Eureka is more Southern Oregon than California. LOL

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 09:44 AM
California's agriculture accounts for more than 60% of all ag in the US. It's not just California it's affecting. Soon, it will be the entire nation.

The Franchise
04-14-2015, 09:53 AM

Well that should solve everything. Nothing to worry about guys!

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Hopefully, that storm will move south to the Central Valley, which is where the water is needed.

Faddy Yomama
04-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Here in Kansas we get as much water as we want but it's harder then a rock monster's dick.

Stewie
04-14-2015, 10:42 AM
California's agriculture accounts for more than 60% of all ag in the US. It's not just California it's affecting. Soon, it will be the entire nation.

This is so wrong it's laughable.

California provides about 50% of vegetables used in the US. Most of them are shipped in the winter months when northern states can't grow lettuce, tomatoes and other fresh vegetables.

Bugeater
04-14-2015, 10:51 AM
75% of statistics are at least 25% wrong

morphius
04-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Time to look at what crops makes sense for a state short on water, but at the same time, the food is more important than where people choose to live in the grand scheme.

GloryDayz
04-14-2015, 11:48 AM

Polar caps melting should solve this, it's fresh water...

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 11:50 AM

LMAO

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2015, 11:50 AM

57 percent of the time...

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2015, 11:52 AM

:spock: Where did it go? Mars??

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 11:52 AM
This is so wrong it's laughable.

California provides about 50% of vegetables used in the US. Most of them are shipped in the winter months when northern states can't grow lettuce, tomatoes and other fresh vegetables.

So you're arguing over 10%? LMAO

Stewie
04-14-2015, 11:56 AM
So you're arguing over 10%? LMAO

No. You said California accounts for 60% of ALL ag in the US.

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
No. You said California accounts for 60% of ALL ag in the US.

That's the number I've seen bandied about on local TV and in articles. Once I come across them again, I'll link but California has been the number one food and agricultural producer in the United States for more than 50 consecutive years.

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Here in Kansas we get as much water as we want but it's harder then a rock monster's dick.Western kansas is still very worried about water.

allen_kcCard
04-14-2015, 01:27 PM
The number I just looked at on a site from 2013 said CA was %16 of US agricultural production. Looked like their main production was dairy.

Stewie
04-14-2015, 01:36 PM
That's the number I've seen bandied about on local TV and in articles. Once I come across them again, I'll link but California has been the number one food and agricultural producer in the United States for more than 50 consecutive years.

I'll save you the time.

California produces about 12% of US agricultural products and that was before 420,000 acres were taken out of production last year due to drought. I'm sure the percentage and acreage will drop again this year. The reason the percentage is so high is because CA is a huge state, but uses an incredible amount of resources to grow food.

Pound for pound, Iowa leaves every other state in the dust on production and irrigates nearly 0% of farmland.

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 01:38 PM
I'll save you the time.

California produces about 12% of US agricultural products and that was before 420,000 acres were taken out of production last year due to drought. I'm sure the percentage and acreage will drop again this year. The reason the percentage is so high is because CA is a huge state, but uses an incredible amount of resources to grow food.

Pound for pound, Iowa leaves every other state in the dust on production and irrigates nearly 0% of farmland.

Then they're throwing around bogus numbers on the local news, which isn't surprising.

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Then they're throwing around bogus numbers on the local news, which isn't surprising.Even so, nobody is going to believe 60%.

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 01:42 PM
The number I just looked at on a site from 2013 said CA was %16 of US agricultural production. Looked like their main production was dairy.

I saw 16.5% for ag, 6.5% for dairy and 9% for beef from 2009. That still doesn't equal the 50% of all food number but it has steadily increased since then, despite the drought.

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Even so, nobody is going to believe 60%.

After digging around, I'm finding it difficult to believe 50%

The Franchise
04-14-2015, 01:47 PM
http://www.motherjones.com/files/2agovstat10_web-1.pdf

Crop and Livestock Commodities in which California Leads the Nation

Almonds
Escarole/Endive
Limes
Plums
Apricots
Figs
Melons, Cantaloupe
Plums, Dried
Artichokes
Flowers, Bulbs
Melons, Honeydew
Pluots
Asparagus
Flowers, Cut
Milk
Pomegranates
Avocados
Flowers, Potted Plants
Milk Goats
Raspberries
Beans, Dry Lima
Garlic
Nectarines
Rice, Sweet
Bedding/Garden Plants
Grapes, Raisins
Nursery, Bedding Plants
Safflower
Broccoli
Grapes, Table
Nursery Crops
Seed, Alfalfa
Brussels Sprouts
Grapes, Wine
Olives
Seed, Bermuda Grass
Cabbage, Chinese
Greens, Mustard
Onions, Dry
Seed, Ladino
Clover
Cabbage,
F.M. Hay, Alfalfa
Onions, Green
Seed, Vegetable and Flower
Carrots
Herbs Parsley
Spinach
Cauliflower
Kale
Peaches, Clingstone
Strawberries
Celery
Kiwifruit
Peaches, Freestone
Tangelos
Chicory
Kumquats
Pears, Bartlett
Tangerines
Cotton, American
Pima
Lemons
Peppers, Bell
Tomatoes, Processing
Daikon Lettuce, Head
Persimmons
Vegetables, Greenhouse
Dates
Lettuce, Leaf
Pigeons and Squabs
Vegetables, Oriental
Eggplant Lettuce, Romaine
Pistachios
Walnuts
Wild Rice

Stewie
04-14-2015, 01:47 PM
I saw 16.5% for ag, 6.5% for dairy and 9% for beef from 2009. That still doesn't equal the 50% of all food number but it has steadily increased since then, despite the drought.

Ag is all-encompassing. You don't add dairy or beef to that number.

Stewie
04-14-2015, 02:07 PM
California is a net importer of food to the tune of $5 billion.

The state of California, long viewed as a source of food for the U.S., now imports a net of $5 billion of food per year to feed their population.

In the Central Coast of California (south of the Bay Area), as NPR reported, it is cheaper to buy an artichoke grown in South America than to buy one from one of the massive local farms near Watsonville that specialize in this crop.

Ah, globalization!

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Ag is all-encompassing. You don't add dairy or beef to that number.

That was the breakdown I saw

ModSocks
04-14-2015, 02:12 PM

Kumquats? Artichokes? Squash, asparagus, kale and eggplant?

Gross.

I'd rather keep our water and completely stop production of those disgusting plants.

GloryDayz
04-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Gross.

I'd rather keep our water and completely stop production of those disgusting plants.

You might be onto something... Perhaps they should let kids determine which of those stay on the list of things to water!

As long as they keep the pigs fed, watered, and reproducing so we have bacon, who cares about most of that shit?

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 02:22 PM

Seriously?

Stewie
04-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Gross.

From what I've seen on CA Rural TV, they want to focus on crops that are viable in a semi-arid state. The idea is to reduce irrigated land by 15% and eliminate "marginal" crops. For instance, California does not need to spend valuable resources growing corn.

The big issue is growing alfalfa. A UC-Davis study showed that alfalfa growers use, by FAR, the most water in the state. The problem is that alfalfa is used to feed cattle. There's a debate on whether using a huge proportion of resources for a large milk industry justifies the intense use of water.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Western kansas is still very worried about water.

The Ogallala Aquifer is drying up.

http://cjonline.com/news/business/2014-07-22/western-kansas-farmers-worry-ogallala-aquifer-disappears

ModSocks
04-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Seriously?

Yup.

Nasty. Bleh.

ModSocks
04-14-2015, 02:44 PM
You might be onto something... Perhaps they should let kids determine which of those stay on the list of things to water!

As long as they keep the pigs fed, watered, and reproducing so we have bacon, who cares about most of that shit?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Bacon = Awesome.

Eggplant = Disgusting.

In58men
04-14-2015, 02:45 PM

You're welcome

DaneMcCloud
04-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Yup.

Nasty. Bleh.

Wow. I love all of those vegetables listed and eat them regularly.

gonefishin53
04-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Most of California's precipitation goes to habitat protection and flows into the Pacific Ocean. Can't let those snail darters suffer, ya know.

Eureka
04-14-2015, 03:55 PM

Bacon = Awesome.

Eggplant = Disgusting.

Bacon&eggplant = better.

Seems So Cal is exp a drought. My yard is dark green and growing like crazy and I never water it.

Maybe, this drought will help learn how to conserve better and grow crops that are water friendly/efficient.

ModSocks
04-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Bacon&eggplant = better.

Seems So Cal is exp a drought. My yard is dark green and growing like crazy and I never water it.

Maybe, this drought will help learn how to conserve better and grow crops that are water friendly/efficient.

You live in Eureka. That's hardly comparable.

I live in San Diego...a glorified desert.

GloryDayz
04-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Bacon = Awesome.

Eggplant = Disgusting.

I'd keep eggplant on the list, but even in my own model I don't get to vote.... But alas, as long as there's bacon, I guess I could live without eggplant.

Mojo Rising
04-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Most of California's precipitation goes to habitat protection and flows into the Pacific Ocean. Can't let those snail darters suffer, ya know.

The Delta Smelt cause a huge amount of water to be diverted to the Ocean instead of us in Southern California.

SAUTO
04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Wow. I love all of those vegetables listed and eat them regularly.

Me too.

stevieray
04-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Me too.
me three