PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Lets play around with the Houston thing.

Direckshun
04-14-2015, 07:16 PM
We know two things:

1. Houston is dumb enough to ask for a Suh-esque deal.

2. Scott Pioli is likely wrangling the Falcons into giving him one, two-firsts and all. It seems like the franchise-crippling move the Falcons have made before with Julio, and Pioli is renowned for killing franchises.

So lets do it, poll style. Falcons offer Houston a Suh-esque deal, and offer YOU, the soul manipulating John Dorsey, Being John Malkovich-style, a 1st this year and next.

Do you take that deal, Master Puppeteer?

Poll forthcoming.

FlaChief58
04-14-2015, 07:19 PM
First in for the reach arounds

Direckshun
04-14-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm completely undecided.

The Chiefs can land a premier passrusher with the Falcons pick. We won't hamstring ourselves with the biggest defensive contract in NFL history, and well have three really good passrushers for the 2015 season still.

TribalElder
04-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Trade for jamies mariota

Urc Burry
04-14-2015, 07:25 PM
The last time this has happened was Joey Galloway. It's simply not going to, but if the Falcons were dumb enough to do it you take it and don't look back. You take Dupree at 8 and save 12ish? A year and get younger. There is very little chance Dupree gets to Houstons level, but it's still worth the second 1st and money you save

BossChief
04-14-2015, 07:34 PM
This years first and next years?

I'd still match and pay the man, but there would be real conversations before the final call was made cause the big picture of that would be appealing to us.

We would save over 10m per season after the difference between his pay and both first rounders. That money can go towards a big time player.
We could draft Dupree, Beasly, Ray or Gregory to replace him with a good prospect.
We would have multiple firsts next year, too.

RealSNR
04-14-2015, 07:37 PM
No votes for "motherfuck SNR."

Fuck Clay. I'M the motherfucking #1 poster

Deberg_1990
04-14-2015, 07:38 PM
I still like the known stud commodity over two unknowns

Pasta Little Brioni
04-14-2015, 07:41 PM
It's hilarious when people think an equal player would be had. "Can just take a Premier passrusher with the pick"...no Houston is a premier pass rusher.

the Talking Can
04-14-2015, 07:41 PM
trade houston so you can...draft a pass rusher

that's some next level shit, makes replacing albert with fisher look like bryant gumbel

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
I still like the known stud commodity over two unknowns

We made out good letting Jared allen go. I say fuck Houston !

BossChief
04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Suhs cap hits year by year:

2015 6m
2016 29m
2017 15m
2018 22m
2019 24m
2020 18m

Are we talking a carbon cop of that?

IMO that's the cost of a hall of fame quality defender that you're paying for the prime years of.

O.city
04-14-2015, 07:48 PM
trade houston so you can...draft a pass rusher

that's some next level shit, makes replacing albert with fisher look like bryant gumbel

Well, in a capped league sometimes you've gotta make tough decisions. If Houston doesn't want to do a deal that works for both sides, you do what you have to do, just as he as the player has to get max value.

Meatloaf
04-14-2015, 07:55 PM
I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. Yes, Houston is probably the #1 LB in the game right now. However, do teams win SBs because they have the best LB in the game? As many of you boys have said in the past, it's pretty much all about finding a true franchise QB. With two additional #1 picks, this increases the odds for finding that guy.

It ain't gonna happen, but if presented with the opportunity, you've GOT to do it....unless you're pretty much happy with status quo.

BossChief
04-14-2015, 07:57 PM
The real question is why wouldn't we pay him?

He's an absolute beast in the pass rush... he has a great first step, is as strong as an ox, he has functional hand strength and is always well prepared. He's probably the best OLB against the run in the league. Holds and breaks the point like a boss. He isn't a liability when he drops back in coverage, either.

He's exactly what you hope to get when you draft someone and we've saved a bunch of money on him the last 4 years...PAY THE MAN.

wazu
04-14-2015, 07:58 PM
For the Chiefs under current management, I would not want this deal. I do not believe it will yield a franchise QB, which is the only thing I would accept for Houston.

Ming the Merciless
04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Its a circle jerk wagon that never ends...

say we do hit on one or god forbid both of the 1st round picks...

All this team does is trade , cut or let our best players walk anyway...

What good are two top players when we refuse to pay even one?

Just fucking PAY houston and lets move FORWARD for fucks sake

all these lateral moves are the reason this team is stuck in 1993

Discuss Thrower
04-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Again. Are the Texans any closer to winning a SB now than they were before they gave JJ Watt a monster deal?

LoneWolf
04-14-2015, 08:14 PM
I would like to know how Direckshun knows that Houston is asking for a Suh-esque deal.

The Franchise
04-14-2015, 08:14 PM
If I did the deal.....I wouldn't be taking a pass rusher at #6. I'd grab either Cooper or White if they're there and then if Dupree is there at #18....I'd grab him. Otherwise....I'd go BPA at #18 and grab a pass rusher in the 2nd to 3rd round range.

RealSNR
04-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Again. Are the Texans any closer to winning a SB now than they were before they gave JJ Watt a monster deal?

Unless they have a secret weapon at QB that we don't know about, then they were absolutely right to keep paying Watt.

They're not any closer right now because they just got done starting Ryan fucking Fitzpatrick the entire year.

kcbubb
04-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Why would the falcons offer that trade? If they want Houston, they can just sign him after the draft. They give up a 1st in 2016 & 2017. There 1st rounders will probably be later than the 8th pick in 2016 & 2017 and it delays compensation a year, so it's better for them. They can offer a contract that we can't match, which would force the trade. We don't have the option of rejecting it.

kcbubb
04-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Its a circle jerk wagon that never ends...

say we do hit on one or god forbid both of the 1st round picks...

All this team does is trade , cut or let our best players walk anyway...

What good are two top players when we refuse to pay even one?

Just ****ing PAY houston and lets move FORWARD for ****s sake

all these lateral moves are the reason this team is stuck in 1993

The problem comes with being able to afford all of your players. Look at the players that we will need to resign in the next few years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/yearly/cap/

Ming the Merciless
04-14-2015, 10:44 PM
The problem comes with being able to afford all of your players. Look at the players that we will need to resign in the next few years.

Thats the thing about making a draft pick.

ANYONE can make a draft pick.......but HOLDING on the draft pick is the critical part of it

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWTMa76BzH0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
04-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Thats the thing about making a draft pick.

ANYONE can make a draft pick.......but HOLDING on the draft pick is the critical part of it

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWTMa76BzH0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pop Culture Weirdo. ;)

Brock
04-14-2015, 10:57 PM
I would like to know how Direckshun knows that Houston is asking for a Suh-esque deal.

Hypothetical

CoMoChief
04-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Hypothetical

It's probably likely he's trying to get a max deal. I would think it's safe to assume that.

big nasty kcnut
04-15-2015, 01:48 AM
I can't trade him he's near dt level of good! Plus i rather go with the known then the unknown of a pick.

BigRock
04-15-2015, 02:59 AM
If there's a team wanting to sign Houston to an offer sheet, there's no way they do it before the draft. They can still do it afterwards and not give up a pick until 2016, when adding Houston to their team would ideally have them picking later than they are this year.

If there's multiple teams trying, then maybe it would happen before the draft. But there's been no legitimate talk of any team wanting to, let alone more than one.

Easy 6
04-15-2015, 06:17 AM
A bird in the hand...

Easy 6
04-15-2015, 06:24 AM

Go stand in the corner with kcbubb.

Baby Lee
04-15-2015, 06:27 AM
A bird in the hand...

shits down your arm?

Coochie liquor
04-15-2015, 06:34 AM
I hope we pay him , but not Suh numbers. A 28 mil cap hit next year? That's crazy! I'm not against paying him but that contract seems crippling. If he does get a contract offer from someone, please Jesus don't let it be to fucking Dung-ver!!

Easy 6
04-15-2015, 06:38 AM
shits down your arm?

Yes, but only as a sack celebration.

BossChief
04-15-2015, 06:47 AM
I hope we pay him , but not Suh numbers. A 28 mil cap hit next year? That's crazy! I'm not against paying him but that contract seems crippling. If he does get a contract offer from someone, please Jesus don't let it be to ****ing Dung-ver!!

Denver has Ware and Von...and Von is entering a contract year.

They aren't giving Houston a huge deal.

kcbubb
04-15-2015, 07:08 AM
If there's a team wanting to sign Houston to an offer sheet, there's no way they do it before the draft. They can still do it afterwards and not give up a pick until 2016, when adding Houston to their team would ideally have them picking later than they are this year.

This. This is exactly right.

kcbubb
04-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Go stand in the corner with kcbubb.

Have the chiefs EVER come close to paying one of the richest contracts for a player in history? Please point one out. I've never seen a headline that says the chiefs sign a player to a record contract! My belief in trading Houston is, in part, due to knowing the chiefs won't pay him that kind of money. The chiefs are more likely to franchise tag him for two years in a row and let him walk in the third year. We need to be peaking as a team in two years. We need to get compensation for Houston now, while we can. That's the reality of the situation. Because I don't believe we will pay him huge $$$.

RunKC
04-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Playing devils advocate here.

Trade Houston to Atlanta for 2 firsts.

8. Bud Dupree OLB Kentucky
18. Trade down for a 2016 3rd Rd pick. Select Nelson Agholor WR USC

2016 draft
Trade both first rd picks and our extra 3rd to move up and select Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State.

And I'm spent

the Talking Can
04-15-2015, 08:20 AM
if his contract is so crippling for us, why would a team give up the contract and 2 first round picks to get him?

ct
04-15-2015, 08:25 AM
more likely is somebody offers a sign and trade. houston signs the tender, we trade for a more reasonable package, and then he overwrites teh 1 yr franchise number with the big deal. maybe a move up to a top10 pick + a 2nd or 3rd kind of deal.

philfree
04-15-2015, 08:34 AM
If Atlanta would pony up the 1st round picks that would be acceptable but why would they do that when they can just draft a their edge rusher in a draft loaded at that position? If they did it after the draft that would set us up to draft a QB of the future in 2016 or 2017 which isn't a bad scenario. Of course I'd rather just have Houston sign a long tern deal but if he were to be signed away by Atlanta it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Baby Lee
04-15-2015, 08:50 AM
if his contract is so crippling for us, why would a team give up the contract and 2 first round picks to get him?

Dumber franchises with more cap space, and concomitantly probably less surrounding talent, . . . or WAY more stupidity.

chiefscafan
04-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Honestly Direkshun I've thought bout this a lot last four days. I want to make really sure what I hear is true from Houston himself. If he wants the highest contract and won't budge as well as isn't sure he wants to be a chief as much as it hurts to say this because he is one of my favorites I let him walk. I don't want anyone on this team who doesn't want to make a commitment to this team.

We can all see it we are finally building something great here but we need everyone on board to make it happen. Not one player is more important than another we are a family here.

If Pioli is dumb enough to do this I say don't match get that falcon pick and as was stated combine it with our pick next year and go after Winston . Let's really shock the system think what we could do with the cap space and extra picks.

Now like I said this is only if what is being said bout Houston is true.

the Talking Can
04-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Dumber franchises with more cap space, and concomitantly probably less surrounding talent, . . . or WAY more stupidity.

i just don't think teams are that dumb anymore...unless its for a QB

we'll see....even if Houston is being intractable, without a legit offer from another team (at least one 1st, and a 2nd/third) he's stuck

chiefscafan
04-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Pioli is that dumb it's his greatest draft pick he's that arrogant to try to get him I've thought if the rumor athan is spouting off is true; it is pioli because he probably still has some source in the pioli camp.

chiefscafan
04-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Heck I might even roll with ford and Hali and focus on other positions. How do we not know that Houston might have benefitted from Hali and ford would do the same.

the Talking Can
04-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Heck I might even roll with ford and Hali and focus on other positions. How do we not know that Houston might have benefitted from Hali and ford would do the same.

because we have eyeballs

Meatloaf
04-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Just heard Deron Cherry's take on this (on 810 radio). First of all, he said that no team is gonna give up two #1's for Houston. However, if they did, he'd JUMP at the picks.

Interestingly, I think Deron was a bit hesitant to be giving Houston a ton after he performed like he did.....IN A CONTRACT YEAR. Reading between the lines, he appeared concerned that Houston might slack off once he had the money. Clearly, he felt Houston was a talent, but he sure didn't seem enamored with him. At. All.

But then again, not sure Deron is the end all/be all of talent evaluators.

Just found it interesting, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Baby Lee
04-15-2015, 09:10 AM
i just don't think teams are that dumb anymore...unless its for a QB

we'll see....even if Houston is being intractable, without a legit offer from another team (at least one 1st, and a 2nd/third) he's stuck

Didn't say it would happen. I answered your question how it could.

philfree
04-15-2015, 09:10 AM
If they were to do a deal before or during the draft with Atlanta I would consider swapping 1st round picks this year and then getting their 1st rounder next year with maybe another pick in this years draft. Maybe a 3rd. Then we could draft one of the top three WRs at 1.8 and then try and trade up to get Houston's replacement. Then next year we would have the ammo to trade up and draft that QBOTF.

BossChief
04-15-2015, 11:36 AM
It's also nice to know that Houston's agent wants MORE than Suh and Watt.

No more speculation there.

ThaVirus
04-15-2015, 11:51 AM
It's also nice to know that Houston's agent wants MORE than Suh and Watt.

No more speculation there.

Is that what they're asking for, for sure?

Link me, I'm lazy.

BossChief
04-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Let's go over what we know:

1) Clark Hunt has said he wants 50 to be a lifer Chief.

2) Dorsey has said Houston isn't going anywhere.

3) Houston's agent says he wants "top non QB money"...meaning more than Suh/Watt.

4) Houston's agent has said his client won't play till week 10 unless he gets a guarantee JH won't be tagged again next year...the same agent did the same thing to Tennessee with Chris Johnson and he got Chris a stupid deal after a long holdout on the tag.

5) KC didn't offer JH a "Clay Matthews type deal" during last offseason or during the first half of the season.

6) Houston was the last player to sign his rookie deal.

The Franchise
04-15-2015, 11:58 AM
lolwut

Faddy Yomama
04-15-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm not playing with Houston's dick.

The Franchise
04-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Let's go over what we know:

1) Clark Hunt has said he wants 50 to be a lifer Chief.

2) Dorsey has said Houston isn't going anywhere.

3) Houston's agent says he wants "top non QB money"...meaning more than Suh/Watt.

4) Houston's agent has said his client won't play till week 10 unless he gets a guarantee JH won't be tagged again next year...the same agent did the same thing to Tennessee with Chris Johnson and he got Chris a stupid deal after a long holdout on the tag.

5) KC didn't offer JH a "Clay Matthews type deal" during last offseason or during the first half of the season.

6) Houston was the last player to sign his rookie deal.

Link to the top non QB money comment.

BossChief
04-15-2015, 12:17 PM
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/chiefs-olb-justin-houston-not-expected-to-show-for-offseason-workout-program/

“My whole thing is Justin Houston transcended his position with his performance last year where he almost broke the single-season sack record. He’s not going to be constrained by positional comparison. His true market is the top non-quarterback in the game.”

The Franchise
04-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Corry is not Houston's agent.

Joel Corry, a former NFL agent and current CBS Sports salary cap/contract analyst.

Urc Burry
04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
There is no way Houston even sits out one game. He would be turning down I think 850k per week. I still believe we get a long term deal done during training camp

BossChief
04-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Corry is not Houston's agent.

My bad, his agent is Joel Segal, not Joel Curry.

When I read that, I thought it was his agent speaking.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Perfect scenario:

Houston sits till week 10

Dee Ford shows to be an adequate replacement

Houston comes in week 10 with fresh legs and powers us through the playoffs to the superbowl.

We franchise his ass again.

Dee Ford has a monster year 2017. 15 sacks.

We renegotiate Houstons contract since he has little leverage now and sign his elderly ass to a 5 year deal at 5 mil per year.

Easy 6
04-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Perfect scenario:

Houston sits till week 10

Dee Ford shows to be an adequate replacement

Houston comes in week 10 with fresh legs and powers us through the playoffs to the superbowl.

We franchise his ass again.

Dee Ford has a monster year 2017. 15 sacks.

We renegotiate Houstons contract since he has little leverage now and sign his elderly ass to a 5 year deal at 5 mil per year.

:bravo:

Easy 6
04-15-2015, 02:00 PM
My bad, his agent is Joel Segal, not Joel Curry.

When I read that, I thought it was his agent speaking.

Its a safe bet thats exactly what his agent is thinking, though.

Which is why it wouldnt bother me in the least to see OLB drafted high, providing both leverage and insurance.

saphojunkie
04-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Yes, I would do that. It's just the wise thing to do, no matter what CP says. There are better odds of replacing Houston's production at a fraction of the cost than there are Houston recreating his success at a premium.

Sad, but true.

Hoover
04-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Hell yes I do the deal.

I'd draft a WR and CB in the first round too.

Easy 6
04-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Yes, I would do that. It's just the wise thing to do, no matter what CP says. There are better odds of replacing Houston's production at a fraction of the cost than there are Houston recreating his success at a premium.

Sad, but true.

I think yourself, and others like Dane, are making too much of the notion that Houston may never again reach those kinds of league leading sack totals.

The man is still very young, with several prime years still ahead and he has what appears to be a very talented current and future cast around him... he could easily approach those totals once more, not only IMO but just the factors of age and surrounding talent say it could be so.

But lets say he doesnt, lets say he gets mired around that 12-15 mark... that will most likely mean that extreme caution is being taken with him from opposing OC's... which of course means that other players are getting favorable matchups, pressures and sacks.

Either way, a guy like Houston is a net plus to the team, its like having a Brady type QB on offense... it makes EVERYONE better... I'm all in favor of drafting another pass rush demon just because you can never have too many and its great insurance for a worst case scenario.

But one freak is always worth two geeks.

OldSchool
04-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Little Houston update, or lack thereof:

The Chiefs have not had contract talks with OLB Justin Houston since the team franchise-tagged him in March.
The two sides have until July 15 to hash out a deal, so there's still time. Another team could swoop in and sign Houston to an offer sheet but it would require giving up two first-round picks. Houston, who led the league with 22 sacks last season, was Pro Football Focus' top-ranked 3-4 outside linebacker in 2014.

Discuss Thrower
04-16-2015, 11:05 PM
If I'm the GM in Indianpolis and have the cap room, I sign an offer sheet the moment Mr. Irrelevant's name is called on Sunday.