PDA

View Full Version : Poop I'm a mess

Hoover
04-15-2015, 07:37 PM
We had to put down our dog today. She was a 14 year old german shepherd, best damn dog ever. She's been struggling for about a month, otherwise she was in great health. My wife and I took her to the vet together, stayed by her side, and said our goodbyes as she slipped away. That was at 10:30 this morning, shit I'm still a mess.

Old Dog
04-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear it. You have my sincere condolences. Dogs are good folks.

Sassy Squatch
04-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear that, bud. Over time the pain will fade and all that's left is the fond memories.

Bowser
04-15-2015, 07:42 PM
I know what you're going through. It sucks. Condolences.

Rain Man
04-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear. The good memories will endure.

Dayze
04-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Damn man. Sorry to hear. RIP to a great looking pup.

Hammock Parties
04-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Lost a 14-year old myself last year. Just have to remember the good times and give the same love to the next doggah. :(

TimBone
04-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Sorry for your loss. Best dog we ever had was a german shepherd that was dumped out in the country by our house. They're great dogs. I was grown and out of the house by the time my parents had to put him down.

BigRedChief
04-15-2015, 07:48 PM
We had to put down our dog today. She was a 14 year old german shepherd, best damn dog ever. She's been struggling for about a month, otherwise she was in great health. My wife and I took her to the vet together, stayed by her side, and said our goodbyes as she slipped away. That was at 10:30 this morning, shit I'm still a mess.Dogs are family. Had to put down a long time friend about 2 months ago. Sorry for the loss.

Meatloaf
04-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Sorry to hear that, Hoover. We've had two Golden's we've had to put down due to cancer. Very, very tough duty. Hang in there, bud.

digger
04-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Hoover
04-15-2015, 08:06 PM
She had a slow growing mass on her lung. Breathing was hard for her for the past couple of weeks. She never really complained. Hardest part today was when my father-in-law came to get my other dog. Pretty sure she knew what was going on. He grabbed her collar and she yelped. He let go and she went over to her on her dog bed. I'm damn glad I have another dog around the house today. She's a keeper too.

Buehler445
04-15-2015, 08:23 PM
My parents had to put one down a couple years ago. He was only 2 years old but had manage to break both of his front legs. It was damn tough. He was such a good dog and should have had a lot of life left. Most dogs are great.

Mav
04-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Condolences.

cabletech94
04-15-2015, 08:30 PM
sorry hoover. love love love dogs. sounds like you gave your buddy a great life. remember the good and honor that pups memory.

petegz28
04-15-2015, 08:31 PM
sorry for your loss

Indian Chief
04-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Sorry to hear it. Never easy losing such a loyal friend.

stevieray
04-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Sorry hoovie..:(

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Sorry for your loss. Just know in the future that dogs are just like people and even when they're on their last leg , well , a rubber glove and a little oil goes a long way .

LiL stumppy
04-15-2015, 08:59 PM
14 years is a good run! I am sure she lived an awesome life. Amazing how wonderful dogs are to the majority of the human race.. Sorry for you loss, go get a mother puppy and give it a great life as well

Lonewolf Ed
04-15-2015, 09:01 PM
I can relate, believe me. I held my dog's face in my hand as she slipped away at the vet's, best dog I ever had. They just don't live long enough. If things in life were perfect, I'd have her with me until my last breath. It's going to be tough, but all I can say is when the tears start to come, don't even try to hold it back.

ChiefsHawk
04-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Don't watch marley and me or turner and hooch for a while. Thoughts are with you

Titty Meat
04-15-2015, 09:12 PM
we put our 16 year old beagle down 10 years ago. I still miss her. I'm sorry for your loss Hoover dogs rule. We got a cat after which helped.

cdcox
04-15-2015, 09:13 PM
Sorry, Hoover. Pets are the best. They treat you like you are the best person in the entire world.

TribalElder
04-15-2015, 09:26 PM
I cried more over my dog than I did over other family members who passed

Sad but very true

Go save another dog from your local shelter

Not only will you save a dogs soul, the dog will help heal yours!

RIP bro best of luck

Psyko Tek
04-15-2015, 11:37 PM
We had to put down our dog today. She was a 14 year old german shepherd, best damn dog ever. She's been struggling for about a month, otherwise she was in great health. My wife and I took her to the vet together, stayed by her side, and said our goodbyes as she slipped away. That was at 10:30 this morning, shit I'm still a mess.

Hips?
They take shepards while they are in their prime...

CanadaKC
04-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Thoughts are with you bud. I had to take my dog to the vet today for the oncoming of hip problems and such. He's only 5 years old. I love him to death already. Can't imagine 14. God speed.

Dunit35
04-16-2015, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear bud.

Dunit35
04-16-2015, 12:26 AM
I can relate, believe me. I held my dog's face in my hand as she slipped away at the vet's, best dog I ever had. They just don't live long enough. If things in life were perfect, I'd have her with me until my last breath. It's going to be tough, but all I can say is when the tears start to come, don't even try to hold it back.

I remember putting my dog down eight years ago. She hadn't seen me in a few months due to me being away for college. She had a mass on a lung. She had a lot of trouble breathing towards the end. You could tell she was happy that I made it to be with her to the end. She lifted her head up as high as she could when I got out of my truck. I fought back some major tears in the vet room.

Going to be a rough time when I put my huskies to sleep.

DC.chief
04-16-2015, 06:46 AM
Sorry man. I know your pain. Hang in there

Warrior5
04-16-2015, 07:12 AM
If there's one thing I think CPers can agree upon, it's that dogs are the best.

Hurts like hell when you lose 'em; hang in there Hoover.

KC_Lee
04-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Never an easy or painless choice we have to make, to allow a loved one to cross the bridge.

So sorry for your family's loss.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-16-2015, 07:28 AM
If there's one thing I think CPers can agree upon, it's that dogs are the best.

Hurts like hell when you lose 'em; hang in there Hoover.

Absolutely. I'm so sorry bud. I wasn't allowed to have a dog as a kid because we had two cats. I loved those kitties and it was hard when they died. About ten years ago my wife came across a puppy that was being taken to the pound and called me begging for it. I'd never owned a dog and told her no. Went to go get her and saw the puppy and my heart just melted. Instant love, so I relented and we took her.

Jack Russell, Australian Sheppard mix. Named her Makaila though we just call her Kaila. She's sitting here in my lap right now and it's the best damn decision I've ever made. I rue the day that she's no longer with me and it breaks my heart even thinking about it. Is there a more pure love than the way a dog loves it's owner? I don't have kids so for me the answer is no.

We tried adding a dog on two separate occasions but it stressed Kaila out so bad that we had to rehome the dogs, although about a year ago a friend got on Facebook with a picture of a Chihuahua and Whippet mix that I again just absolutely fell in love with. This dog was headed for the pound if no one would take it in, just like my Kaila was. I decided to try one more time because I knew with time I could find a good home for the adorable little shit but I figured Kaila was too old to have another animal in the house at that point.

I couldn't have been more wrong. She instantly became best friends with the little guy and we're a 2 dog 2 human pack. I wonder if Kaila sensed that Mojo needed us the way Kaila did all those years ago. Probably a silly thought but interesting to say the least. The other two dogs were not at risk when we took them in.

I've decided I'll always have dogs now and they'll strictly be pound rescue pups. I'm too selfish to adopt older dogs but I feel like I'm still doing my part getting mutts from the pound vs. paying for certain breeds. For instance I've always wanted a minpin but Mojo has filled that void. Little fucker is half fear and half hate. ROFL

Swanman
04-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear it Hoover. We have a 4-month old german shepherd pup and I can already tell he is going to be a great dog.

Beef Supreme
04-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Tough day. Dogs are better than most people.

Al Czervik
04-16-2015, 08:37 AM
My condolences Hoover....Beautiful dog....
We had to put down our 15 yo Golden back in Sept 14.....
After a few months....it will be time to get another.

RIP to your dog and T&P to you and your family

BigOlChiefsfan
04-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Condolences

Kman34
04-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Sorry for your loss...I've had to do that twice I know what you're going through...

Straight, No Chaser
04-16-2015, 10:17 PM
you gotta be content with providing an awesome life for her for 14 years. It's tough when you get a new one, especially a young pup 'cause you know that feeling will come again and too soon.

TEX
04-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Damn fine dog. So sorry for your loss. Wish you the best going through the tough time.

KevB
04-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear it. I still have my buddy in my avi from a few years back. One of the hardest things I've had to do. Oh, and that 3rd pic is a very cool one.

cdcox
04-16-2015, 10:32 PM
I highly recommend sharing your home with a new pet soon after the loss of an old friend. You will never replace your lost loved one, but I have never once regretted bringing in a new family member. Your heart is will expand to love the newcomer even as you hold a spot of honor your fallen companion.

Dave Lane
04-17-2015, 05:44 AM
There's nothing worse. Remember all the fun you guys had. It sucks.

Hoover
05-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Just an update. So to remember our dog Dutchy I had commissioned a local artist do a painting of her. Felt like an idiot when I picked it up because I could speak. My wife loved it. Probably the coolest thing in our house besides my little boy.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2015, 08:08 PM
That's great work. How much? Might throw him some work.

stumppy
05-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Just seen this thread. Sorry about Dutchy, thats a tough loss to deal with.
Kick ass painting. I may have to do that for my dogs.

BigRedChief
05-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Just an update. So to remember our dog Dutchy I had commissioned a local artist do a painting of her. Felt like an idiot when I picked it up because I could speak. My wife loved it. Probably the coolest thing in our house besides my little boy.Dogs are family. :thumb:

stevieray
05-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Just an update. So to remember our dog Dutchy I had commissioned a local artist do a painting of her. Felt like an idiot when I picked it up because I could speak. My wife loved it. Probably the coolest thing in our house besides my little boy.
I made the offer, glad to see you took someone up on it.

:rockon:

cdcox
05-11-2015, 10:46 PM

He wasn't a poker player, huh?

Tacoman
05-11-2015, 11:46 PM
So sorry to hear about your dog :(. I have an old one that is on his way out, it is really hard to think about my house without him in it.

ChiefGator
05-12-2015, 05:46 AM
That is an awesome painting. Great way to remember a great pet.

IA_Chiefs_fan
05-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Our German Shepherd is 3. I can't imagine the pain you guys went through. Will you get another German?

Hoover
05-12-2015, 09:04 AM
That's great work. How much? Might throw him some work.
$240 for a 11x16. Priceless to me.

Hoover
05-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I made the offer, glad to see you took someone up on it.

:rockon:
Yeah, thank you for that, but I had already been talking to this gal once I realized the end was near.

gblowfish
05-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I lost my favorite kitty Mama Cat in February. She was 18. I loved her very much, and miss her every single day. You're just going to have to feel shitty for awhile, there's no way around it. But at least there's no more suffering, and you gave your friend the best life possible.

tooge
05-12-2015, 09:07 AM
man, so sorry. I have to say though, that the dog in the back of the second picture could be a meme with that look. LOL. Dogs are the greatest. You did the last great thing a best friend does. Take solace in that. RIP. Dogs are the best folk